PDA

View Full Version : In a round-robin of remaining teams, who is crowned?

thebootfitter
December 8th, 2015, 05:34 PM
With all the discussion going on about the brackets being out of whack and MVFC being the king, and some of the perceived tough draws as the brackets are laid out, I started thinking...

"Hmm, what if instead of a single elimination tournament, all teams had to play each other? Who would win the most games and be crowned champion?"

Obviously, this can't happen in reality, and some people don't like discussing theoretical match-ups. And there are many unknown variables to consider such as injuries and the "any given Saturday" effect, but if ISUr or Richmond weren't knocked out after this week, for example, would the loser of that game still have a legitimate shot at being crowned champion? Some teams do match up better with other teams, and some draws really are difficult for certain teams when they might be able to beat every other team in the field.

So... what say you? Assuming all teams had their current personnel for a round-robin tournament where all games would magically be played all at once to negate the impact of being worn down or injuries, etc., who would win the most games? Would such a theoretical scenario give your team a better or worse shot at winning the championship?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2015, 05:40 PM
There is a great philosopher that articulates my voting reasoning:

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Entertainment/0/0/Ric%20Flair%20AP%20Graphics%20Bank%20660.jpg

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 05:40 PM
This is dumb, so I picked Colgate. xcoffeex:D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Actually I don't hate it. The meat grinder that is our half of the bracket shields a lot of teams that might not make it to the end otherwise

thebootfitter
December 8th, 2015, 05:43 PM
No... xxxYOU'RExxx YOUR DUM! I'm SMRT! Thbth!

C'mon Rob... who do you really think?

Reason for editing: typo

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 06:05 PM
No... xxxYOU'RExxx YOUR DUM! I'm SMRT! Thbth!

C'mon Rob... who do you really think?

Reason for editing: typo

Too hard to gauge depth and injuries and stuff. In the semis I'd give you an answer.

For this round....NOT UNI, Charleston Southern or Colgate. Probably Not Sam Houston. xlolx

thebootfitter
December 8th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Too hard to gauge depth and injuries and stuff. In the semis I'd give you an answer.

For this round....NOT UNI, Charleston Southern or Colgate. Probably Not Sam Houston. xlolx
I get that it's a big question with a lot of variables, but I'd have to think UNI is in the mix. I don't think there's anyone in the field that UNI couldn't beat at least 5 times out of 10 on a neutral field.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Probably the top 3 choices.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I get that it's a big question wiI'mth a lot of variables, but I'd have to think UNI is in the mix. I don't think there's anyone in the field that UNI couldn't beat at least 5 times out of 10 on a neutral field.

Well considering we already lost to 2 of them....xthumbsupx

melloware13
December 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM
One factor that could change my answer is how is home field decided for said round-robin.

thebootfitter
December 8th, 2015, 08:43 PM
For the sake of the hypothetical scenario, I'd say it's easiest to assume they are all neutral field.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Rollbird5
December 8th, 2015, 10:06 PM
3 way tie between NDSU ISU and UNI xdrunkyx

thebootfitter
December 8th, 2015, 10:11 PM
3 way tie between NDSU ISU and UNI xdrunkyx
What's the tiebreaker?

Go...gate
December 8th, 2015, 10:30 PM
NDSU.

Rollbird5
December 8th, 2015, 11:03 PM
What's the tiebreaker?
Coach with the best Mustache works for me! Probably point differential I guess would have to be a tiebreaker

thebootfitter
December 9th, 2015, 01:35 AM
I have to think that this format would tend to favor the MVFC teams a bit compared to the current brackets. Rather than knocking out two of the three remaining Valley teams, possibly by other Valley teams, they'd all have an equal chance to win it.

I havent voted yet, but I think I'd have to lean toward NDSU. Maybe a homer vote, but I don't think any one team stands out more than they do right now. I do think they'd have a better shot in a round-robin than in their current bracket. I won't be surprised by a UNI win at all, though I still expect the Bison to come out on top.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2015, 04:46 AM
I have to think that this format would tend to favor the MVFC teams a bit compared to the current brackets. Rather than knocking out two of the three remaining Valley teams, possibly by other Valley teams, they'd all have an equal chance to win it.

I havent voted yet, but I think I'd have to lean toward NDSU. Maybe a homer vote, but I don't think any one team stands out more than they do right now. I do think they'd have a better shot in a round-robin than in their current bracket. I won't be surprised by a UNI win at all, though I still expect the Bison to come out on top.

I think thats how most of the educated fans feel.

dgtw
December 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Jax State goes 7-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebootfitter
December 9th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Jax State goes 7-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would Chattanooga also go 7-0 if they had beat Jax?

I'm not sure any team remaining would be very likely to go undefeated.