PDA

View Full Version : A Bowl Game For Ivy Champion?

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2015, 11:31 PM
The Yale athletic director is on board. (Harvard, probably not as much). Excerpt:

"Beckett would like to see the Ivy League partner with a sister conference to play a bowl game sometime before Christmas at a warm weather site (we hear Orlando is nice this time of year.) The idea has generated interest within the Ivy League, but not everyone is on board just yet. Some would rather fight for inclusion in the national playoffs."

"The feasibility of a bowl game being approved is much greater than getting our champion into the playoffs,” Beckett said. "I think it would be a great experience and an appropriate ending for the champions of our league and the sister conference that would join us."

"Wishful thinking, perhaps, but we’d love to see the Ivy champ match up with a BCS program each December, even if it’s a 5-7 club from a Group of Five opponent."

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20151205/sunday-gravy-ivy-league-closer-to-taking-plunge-into-basketballs-march-madness

Go...gate
December 7th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Interesting.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 12:01 AM
When they talk about a sister conference, they mean the PFL, right?

If they do approve pursuing a bowl like this I can't even begin to tell you the number of so-called Ivy League principles they would be violating. In fact, they'd be setting up a bowl game in direct violation to the Ivy Agreement which ball postseason competitions with the written exception of NCAA competitions.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Just don’t expect the Ivy League to change its policy on postseason football any time soon. Most everyone would love to see how the Ivy champs would fare against the best FCS teams in the country. But the national tournament is a grueling seven-week affair with extensive travel that runs smack through the heart of December final exams.

“The problem the Ivy League has is taking a team out of reading period, final exams, winter break and believing that’s the right thing for those students,” Yale athletic director Tom Beckett said. “They’re not going to see that as a possibility.”

And I thought Ivy League guys were smart? Even a Lafayette grad can poke the holes in these arguments.

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2015, 12:31 AM
So they want a game they can own instead of having to qualify for. Sounds about right.

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Palm Beach or bust, baby!xdrunkyx

bulldog10jw
December 8th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Who cares? And how would you break a 3 way tie, like this year.

ASU33
December 8th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Seems like it could work but why play a Bowl game outside of the conference's geographic footprint?

Stonewall D
December 8th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I like it. I would like to see them play on a national platform with national tv exposure.

Stonewall D
December 8th, 2015, 07:23 AM
South Florida. After exams. What player wouldn't want to participate?

LUHawker
December 8th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I hope the Patriot League doesn't even sniff at this. I don't think the PL will as the quest for the playoffs has been part of the league for almost 20 years now.

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I hope the Patriot League doesn't even sniff at this. I don't think the PL will as the quest for the playoffs has been part of the league for almost 20 years now.

...NO AUTO-BID FO' YOU!......xsmhx................BROCK!

RichH2
December 8th, 2015, 08:11 AM
So they want a game they can own instead of having to qualify for. Sounds about right.
+1

RichH2
December 8th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Agree. Should note that such a game was part of the original.sales pitch by the Ivies to Dr.Likins and Fr. Brooks to form the Colonial League.

BluBengal07
December 8th, 2015, 08:31 AM
and it begins.... leadership is thinking about more bowls in FCS.

WestCoastAggie
December 8th, 2015, 08:41 AM

If they do approve pursuing a bowl like this I can't even begin to tell you the number of so-called Ivy League principles they would be violating. In fact, they'd be setting up a bowl game in direct violation to the Ivy Agreement which ball postseason competitions with the written exception of NCAA competitions.

From experience, once ESPN comes calling, who may most likely own the bowl game, your conference commissioner will listen.

I won't be surprised if we see the Clebration Bowl followed up with a bowl game between the Ivy and Patriot within the next 2-3 seasons.

WileECoyote06
December 8th, 2015, 08:46 AM

If ESPN comes offering good coin like they did the MEAC and SWAC, you will. xpopcornx

- - - Updated - - -

From experience, once ESPN comes calling, who may most likely own the bowl game, your conference commissioner will listen.

I won't be surprised if we see the Clebration Bowl followed up with a bowl game between the Ivy and Patriot within the next 2-3 seasons.

You beat me to it. lol

WestCoastAggie
December 8th, 2015, 08:49 AM
A bowl game in MetLife or in Philly will be fantastic between the Ivy and the PL.

I'd bet at Army would be willing to join the PL should this happen.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I don't like the smell of this. Especially with the expectation that the PL is on track to become more competitive nationally. This would be a leap backwards. Essentially admitting you can't compete against the major conferences, so you isolate.

DFW HOYA
December 8th, 2015, 09:04 AM

Most of them anyway, but the PL presidents still like that Ivy attention.

PAllen
December 8th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Welcome back to the top tier of Division I FB Ivy League. They're not talking PL as the partner conference. They're talking about a mid level team from the Big10 or ACC. This is their way back into what is now FBS. They were forced down because they didn't have the attendance. Now they can point to the MAC and laugh at that requirement. Honestly, they've got a point too. Sure Ivy attendence doesn't meet the requirements now, but what it would be if they were playing Army, Navy, Rutgers, Syracuse, Duke, and Uva OOC instead of Georgetown, Colgate, Bucknell, Wagner, and Bryant. It'd be much higher than what the MAC puts up. The Ivy League isn't filled with a bunch of dummies and one thing they do incredibly well is position themselves politically and legally. This is a ploy to get themselves back to playing "with the big boys" and not to get yet another FCS Bowl game.

All that said, if ESPN wants to guarantee some serious cash to both leagues and a Saturday afternoon ESPN slot, then yeah, I'd be for jumping ship to an IL/PL FCS bowl. I don't see that happening though.

The FCS playoffs are nice, and as long as we're a part of it, I want to try to win the whole damn thing every year. But let's be realistic, the teams in the Celebration bowl are going to get more money and much more exposure than any team this year not named Montana or NDSU.

WileECoyote06
December 8th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I don't like the smell of this. Especially with the expectation that the PL is on track to become more competitive nationally. This would be a leap backwards. Essentially admitting you can't compete against the major conferences, so you isolate.

Funny term. .. major conferences. Perhaps 'more successful in the playoff' conferences is better.

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2015, 09:23 AM
South Florida. After exams. What player wouldn't want to participate?

SPF 50, baby!

walliver
December 8th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Welcome back to the top tier of Division I FB Ivy League. They're not talking PL as the partner conference. They're talking about a mid level team from the Big10 or ACC. This is their way back into what is now FBS. They were forced down because they didn't have the attendance. Now they can point to the MAC and laugh at that requirement. Honestly, they've got a point too. Sure Ivy attendence doesn't meet the requirements now, but what it would be if they were playing Army, Navy, Rutgers, Syracuse, Duke, and Uva OOC instead of Georgetown, Colgate, Bucknell, Wagner, and Bryant. It'd be much higher than what the MAC puts up. The Ivy League isn't filled with a bunch of dummies and one thing they do incredibly well is position themselves politically and legally. This is a ploy to get themselves back to playing "with the big boys" and not to get yet another FCS Bowl game.

All that said, if ESPN wants to guarantee some serious cash to both leagues and a Saturday afternoon ESPN slot, then yeah, I'd be for jumping ship to an IL/PL FCS bowl. I don't see that happening though.

The FCS playoffs are nice, and as long as we're a part of it, I want to try to win the whole damn thing every year. But let's be realistic, the teams in the Celebration bowl are going to get more money and much more exposure than any team this year not named Montana or NDSU.

Unless the Ivies are willing to fund 90% of 83 scholarships, they aren't working their way back up to FBS level. The NCAA ignores attendance, but won't overlook the scholarship issues (other than the academies where everyone is on scholarship).
Unless they are willing to fund enough scholarships to be FCS counters, Army, Navy , Duke, Syracuse and UVA aren't knocking on the door.
Even just partnering for a bowl game with the B1G or ACC is problematic as there are schools in both leagues they would like to play, but also a number they wouldn't (the Criminoles immediately come to mind).

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I for one would tune in to watch the Ivies get spanked by a P5 team. Unless this bowl game is against a P5 team like 0-12 Kansas...

ccd494
December 8th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Late November/early December in Fargo or Durham or Normal, IL, or late December in Miami or Orlando or New Orleans?

Seems like an easy answer to me.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 10:30 AM
If ESPN comes offering good coin like they did the MEAC and SWAC, you will. xpopcornx

- - - Updated - - -

You beat me to it. lol

Because the Ivy League brings a lot of black women viewers? xeyebrowx

PAllen
December 8th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Late November/early December in Fargo or Durham or Normal, IL, or late December in Miami or Orlando or New Orleans?

Seems like an easy answer to me.

You forgot... live streaming on ESPN3 with a local radio host announcing against "who are we playing again?" vs. live on ESPN with Craig James against a name 90% of your alumni would recognize.

BluBengal07
December 8th, 2015, 10:50 AM

folks don't want to hear this. lol. all of this is just thinking and review evidence. once AFR Celebration Bowl is deemed successful, there will be 1 or 2 bowls created or on paper within the next 5 years. crap, these could create a bowl series in FCS.

PAllen
December 8th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Unless the Ivies are willing to fund 90% of 83 scholarships, they aren't working their way back up to FBS level. The NCAA ignores attendance, but won't overlook the scholarship issues (other than the academies where everyone is on scholarship).
Unless they are willing to fund enough scholarships to be FCS counters, Army, Navy , Duke, Syracuse and UVA aren't knocking on the door.
Even just partnering for a bowl game with the B1G or ACC is problematic as there are schools in both leagues they would like to play, but also a number they wouldn't (the Criminoles immediately come to mind).

Aren't the Ivies already counters? If Army, Navy and Air Force count because nobody pays tuition, then all of those players with their tuition paid for by the school must count too. I think funding 75 players is not exactly a big deal on those campuses.

Panther88
December 8th, 2015, 10:56 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Owwwwwwwwwwwch!!!!! xlolx

Bisonator
December 8th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Ahhh now they want their own little bowl game. Isn't that cute!xlolx

WestCoastAggie
December 8th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Well quite a few Female HBCU grads go on to earn Masters and Professional Degrees from Ivy Leaguers.

They could be on to something LOL!

Panther88
December 8th, 2015, 11:03 AM
folks don't want to hear this. lol. all of this is just thinking and review evidence. once AFR Celebration Bowl is deemed successful, there will be 1 or 2 bowls created or on paper within the next 5 years. crap, these could create a bowl series in FCS.

I doubt it BB07. The FCS playoff pundits on this site are in control of the participating FCS tourney schools and will not allow it because they are married to and enamored w/ the ideology of winning a national title @ any (athletic) cost. :D

In all truthfulness, a LOT of their ADs/presidents will turn coattail for $$$$$$ like CURRENT 2015 bowl participants and former I-AA/FCS programs: Marshall... Boise St.... Appalachian St.... Georgia Southern.... Middle Tenn St.... Louisiana Tech... Western Kentucky... Arkansas State.... Oh looky here!!!!!! I see current FCS members Alcorn State and North Carolina A&T on the 2015-16 bowl lineup.

xsmhx

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 11:26 AM

What would be the incentive? The HBCU's bring people, $$$ and eyes.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I doubt it BB07. The FCS playoff pundits on this site are in control of the participating FCS tourney schools and will not allow it because they are married to and enamored w/ the ideology of winning a national title @ any (athletic) cost. :D

In all truthfulness, a LOT of their ADs/presidents will turn coattail for $$$$$$ like CURRENT 2015 bowl participants and former I-AA/FCS programs: Marshall... Boise St.... Appalachian St.... Georgia Southern.... Middle Tenn St.... Louisiana Tech... Western Kentucky... Arkansas State.... Oh looky here!!!!!! I see current FCS members Alcorn State and North Carolina A&T on the 2015-16 bowl lineup.

xsmhx

None of us have any control over bowls vs playoffs. I just don't see it. I'm not even mad about the Celebration Bowl. I could care less about it, but good for you. I just don't see who the Ivy would play from the FBS or FCS level to make this interesting.

BluBengal07
December 8th, 2015, 11:34 AM
What would be the incentive? The HBCU's bring people, $$$ and eyes.

that is something to be investigated. i don't know what the ivies and the propose other will bring to the table. you might know better than i do. that's to be determine. they know themselves and what makes them unique. there are fbs bowls out there, which you are aware of, that seems not to bring anything to the table with very low viewership, but they are still in operation.

Panther88
December 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM
None of us have any control over bowls vs playoffs. I just don't see it. I'm not even mad about the Celebration Bowl. I could care less about it, but good for you. I just don't see who the Ivy would play from the FBS or FCS level to make this interesting.

Funny. That's how we PVAMU panthers feel about the FCS playoffs. We're not mad about it (not even being considered since we were 9-2 this past fall) and could really care less about it. Our GOAL is to win the SWAC W, go to the SCG and win it, and then win The Celebration Bowl. THAT is our conference direction and we support it as it now stands for fall 2016.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Funny. That's how we PVAMU panthers feel about the FCS playoffs. We're not mad about it (not even being considered since we were 9-2 this past fall) and could really care less about it. Our GOAL is to win the SWAC W, go to the SCG and win it, and then win The Celebration Bowl. THAT is our conference direction and we support it as it now stands for fall 2016.

Cool.

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I don't really like the idea of these FCS bowl games. I think the #1 mission of the FCS should be to strengthen the playoffs. I feel like the more schools that abandon the playoffs for bowl games only hurt the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 12:12 PM

After Colgate's playoff wins over two CAA schools, this thought leapt to my mind as well. When the PL does well, for some reason the IL must feel threatened.

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM
After Colgate's playoff wins over two CAA schools, this thought leapt to my mind as well. When the PL does well, for some reason the IL must feel threatened.
If this keeps up with other PL teams than the argument gets even stronger. Didn't the PL recently move to full scholarship? And for the first time in a while a PL team is makig some noise in the playoffs. The improvement speaks for itself.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 12:22 PM
1. The Celebration Bowl hasn't happened yet, calling it a success already is premature

2. I don't think people truly realize exactly how huge a flip-flop this actually is in terms of postseason play for the Ivy League. They would literally be throwing out seventy years of principle on post-season play for... what, exactly? Money? "Exposure?" Frankly, they don't need the money and in terms of "exposure", are more people really going to attend Harvard because they played some bowl vs. Dayton in Jacksonville in between the Hawai'i Bowl and the GMAC Bowl? I've accused the Ivy League annually of hypocrisy for having the playoff ban in place when the actual Ivy League agreement had an exception for NCAA competition, but this bowl would simply be hypocrisy x 10.

3. Any comparison to the Celebration Bowl is really, really off here. The schools that are a part of the Celebration bowl are mostly/all resource-challenged and could benefit from the coin and "exposure" of the game (assuming the coin and the exposure are "all that", which I'm not convinced is the case). The Ivy League don't need or require these benefits. The benefits would come in the form of goody bags for the students and raises for the admins. This bowl would put the Ivies into this prostitution game that they have allegedly resisted for more than half a century on principle.

Laker
December 8th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Ivy League: join the FCS playoffs. You compete in the other NCAA tournaments.

Model Citizen
December 8th, 2015, 01:16 PM
The Ivies are still flummoxed at having their football downgraded in the 1980s. They want association with the top level.

They see most of FCS as unwashed refugees from Division II. Some truth to that, actually.

ccd494
December 8th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Ivy League: join the FCS playoffs. You compete in the other NCAA tournaments.

...at the highest level. The FCS playoffs are, by definition, second rate to the Bowl System. Like it or not, the Ivies don't see the rest of the FCS programs as their peers. Or anyone as their peers, honestly. But if Harvard beats Cincinnati in the NCAA basketball tournament, or Cornell beats Temple and Wisconsin, or Yale beats Minnesota on its way to an NCAA Hockey title, they are competing against the nation's best athletic programs.

The Ivies don't do second rate anything. Playing in the FCS playoffs would be an admission that they are second rate in something.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 01:29 PM
...at the highest level. The FCS playoffs are, by definition, second rate to the Bowl System. Like it or not, the Ivies don't see the rest of the FCS programs as their peers. Or anyone as their peers, honestly. But if Harvard beats Cincinnati in the NCAA basketball tournament, or Cornell beats Temple and Wisconsin, or Yale beats Minnesota on its way to an NCAA Hockey title, they are competing against the nation's best athletic programs.

The Ivies don't do second rate anything. Playing in the FCS playoffs would be an admission that they are second rate in something.

The FCS playoffs are the highest level of NCAA-sponsored championship in football, something the Ivy League is apparently too dim to grasp.

Panther88
December 8th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I don't really like the idea of these FCS bowl games. I think the #1 mission of the FCS should be to strengthen the playoffs. I feel like the more schools that abandon the playoffs for bowl games only hurt the playoffs.

Like these former I-AA/FCS powerhouses did, who are all in the 2015-16 bowl lineup (Marshall... Boise St.... Appalachian St.... Georgia Southern.... Middle Tenn St.... Louisiana Tech... Western Kentucky... Arkansas State)?

:(

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Like these former I-AA/FCS powerhouses did (Marshall... Boise St.... Appalachian St.... Georgia Southern.... Middle Tenn St.... Louisiana Tech... Western Kentucky... Arkansas State)?

:(

I don't feel like Boise St or Marshall hurt the playoffs. WKU could be included in that boat. Losing App, GSU and Old Dominion so close together hurt.

DeltaDevil662
December 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM

When most of the people on here can get this through their heads then they will be on to something. Think it's safe to say that if the Ivy league schools wanted to be FBS they could but choose not to (Alabama is supposed to be a "big boy" with a billion dollar endowment but the Harvard folks would laugh at that)

Like it or not, they don't see the FCS as their peers. They would rather join the SWAC and MEAC with the "big boys" in the Bowl System (whether it be their own bowl or most likely something ESPN will organize)

Go...gate
December 8th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Agree. Should note that such a game was part of the original.sales pitch by the Ivies to Dr.Likins and Fr. Brooks to form the Colonial League.

As well as Anthony Maruca and Chuck Yrgonien o/b/o the Ivy League....

ccd494
December 8th, 2015, 02:06 PM
The FCS playoffs are the highest level of NCAA-sponsored championship in football, something the Ivy League is apparently too dim to grasp.

A championship means only as much as those competing for it. A college football championship being competed for by the Southland, the Colonial, a bastardized Missouri Valley, the Big Sky and the Patriot inherently has less value than the one being competed for by the Big 10, SEC, Pac-12, ACC and Big 12.

Just because there's an NCAA logo on the FCS trophy and not on the FBS trophy doesn't mean that the FCS trophy means more.

Go...gate
December 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM

Not necessarily, based on the Ivy League's financial aid policies, which are de facto scholarships.

Model Citizen
December 8th, 2015, 02:38 PM
They are scholarships, just not athletic scholarships. Everyone gets them.

The secret behind their recruiting is academic reputation, combined with loose admissions (AI) for football players.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 02:40 PM
join the SWAC and MEAC with the "big boys" in the Bowl System

Thanks, now my monitor is covered in coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

A championship means only as much as those competing for it. A college football championship being competed for by the Southland, the Colonial, a bastardized Missouri Valley, the Big Sky and the Patriot inherently has less value than the one being competed for by the Big 10, SEC, Pac-12, ACC and Big 12.

Just because there's an NCAA logo on the FCS trophy and not on the FBS trophy doesn't mean that the FCS trophy means more.

But when the NCAA stamp is on the men's basketball trophy it means something?

RichH2
December 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM
They are scholarships, just not athletic scholarships. Everyone gets them.

The secret behind their recruiting is academic reputation, combined with loose admissions (AI) for football players.
Not really. AI bands limit lower academic recruits.

Panther88
December 8th, 2015, 03:20 PM

It means a big fat check! :D

Model Citizen
December 8th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Let me put it this way. If no one knew these people were football players, most Ivy fb recruits would not be admitted.

PAllen
December 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

PAllen
December 8th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks, now my monitor is covered in coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

The NCAA Div I BB championship is only more valuable than the NIT now because of who plays for it. When the big boys were going to the NIT instead, that was the trophy that meant more.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 8th, 2015, 04:07 PM

Well said.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 04:10 PM
....no one thinks the FCS championship means more than the FBS championship. xrolleyesx

3rd Coast Tiger
December 8th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Let me put it this way. If no one knew these people were football players, most Ivy fb recruits would not be admitted.

This statement applies just as much applies to Univ. of Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Washington, USC, UCLA, Univ. of Miami, etc...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2015, 05:41 PM
1. The Ivy League has determined that they play football at the FCS level and abide by the NCAA rules governing FCS-level competition.

2. The FCS has a championship 24 teams in a playoff grid determining who is the FCS National Champion, per the NCAA.

3. The highest level of championship that the Ivy League can compete at the level they have selected is the FCS National Championship, sponsored by the NCAA.

If they want to declare themselves FBS schools and abide by those rules and compete or not compete for the plus-one FBS playoff, that's their business, but that's not what they're doing. They are choosing to deny themselves the opportunity to compete at the highest level of competition in which they compete.

In other words, this is not a pissing contest about whether the FBS system or the FCS system "means more". At the competition level they have selected the FCS championship is the highest level of championship.

The SWAC and MEAC at least don't pretend anything different about their postseason games - for them, it's not about having the best team nationally at the FCS level, it's apparently about money and perhaps determining some HBCU champion, which apparently to those schools is more meaningful than actually competing to be the best team in the subdivision.

If the Ivy League's position is "the FCS championship isn't the highest level of championship", well, they've chosen to compete here! If they want to compete for the CFP, go there! We won't stop you! But don't sit around here and complain that you don't like the color of the wallpaper. It is your choice to be here!

December 8th, 2015, 06:27 PM
....no one thinks the FCS championship means more than the FBS championship. xrolleyesx
It does to me. I dont follow FBS football at all. I doubt I could name more than 10 FBS teams.

citdog
December 8th, 2015, 06:35 PM

It's the NDSU flag that hangs in NCAA headquarters bro. NOT the nfl minor league football champion. So actually it DOES mean more.

citdog
December 8th, 2015, 06:37 PM
They would rather join the SWAC and MEAC with the "big boys" in the Bowl System

You should be on a stage telling jokes like that!

heath
December 8th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Allowing a *****ty bowl game for the IL champ is xeyebrowx Just allow your teams into the playoffs IF they are good enough. It is almost like the Ivy is scared to put their teams on the national stage. (yes I get the exam crappy argument that seems to affect football only) Pretty soon, the IL will looking and begging for OOC games.xnodx

JSUBison
December 8th, 2015, 07:30 PM
and it begins.... leadership is thinking about more bowls in FCS.

It's craziness. Imagine a foreigner coming to america, and you're teaching him about American Football. You tell them there are 10 teams in the Big 12, and 12 teams in the Big 10. After that you tell him the Football BOWL Subdivision has playoffs, and the Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision has bowl games. No wonder they all like soccer.

RichH2
December 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM
It's craziness. Imagine a foreigner coming to america, and you're teaching him about American Football. You tell them there are 10 teams in the Big 12, and 12 teams in the Big 10. After that you tell him the Football BOWL Subdivision has playoffs, and the Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision has bowl games. No wonder they all like soccer.
Perhaps the best summary of this thread.:)

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM

It is tame vs trying to keep up with the European Football League structures and rules. Now that's a maze of craziness.

PAllen
December 8th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Perhaps the best summary of this thread.:)

I prefer: "The highest level of championshipthat the Ivy League can compete at the level they have selected...."

RichH2
December 8th, 2015, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=PAllen;2303090]I prefer: "The highest level of championshipthat the Ivy League can compete at the level they h[B]ave s
Well OK. :):) So much folderol over an non event. Altho,that may capture the essence of the Ivies.

Sader87
December 8th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I'm all for a PL-IL bowl game....sorry, but a 4 or 5 game post-season playoff football format is absurd on many levels.

citdog
December 8th, 2015, 10:11 PM
I'm all for a PL-IL bowl game....sorry, but a 4 or 5 game post-season playoff football format is absurd on many levels.

then gtf out of the Football Championship Subdivision and find a new place to post the SAME thing over and over and over.

paward
December 9th, 2015, 07:08 AM
+1

+2

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM
I think I've finally had enough of this idiocy and I feel the need to write something about this bowl proposal that makes no sense, even taking the "sister league" aspect out of it. It doesn't take a lot of work to show how impossible something like this would be.

Model Citizen
December 9th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Hardly impossible. I think the Gridiron Classic bylaw is still on the books. Not suggesting that anyone amend it by replacing "Northeast Conference" with "Ivy League"...just pointing out how easily a bowl could happen if the Ivies wanted it to happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Hardly impossible. I think the Gridiron Classic bylaw is still on the books. Not suggesting that anyone amend it by replacing "Northeast Conference" with "Ivy League"...just pointing out how easily a bowl could happen if the Ivies wanted it to happen.

How fast would the PFL amend this? Would they ceremoniously discuss it for a day, or would they simply sign it right away?

How bad would Penn have beaten Dayton this year? 30 points? 40?

Model Citizen
December 9th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I know Dayton beat Jacksonville this year. How bad did JU beat Penn 15 months ago? I don't care, but look it up if you like.

DetroitFlyer
December 9th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I like this Model Citizen poster! Dayton would have had no problem hanging with any IL team this year.

NY Crusader 2010
December 9th, 2015, 09:10 PM
I like this Model Citizen poster! Dayton would have had no problem hanging with any IL team this year.

I think Dayton could've hung with just about any Ivy or Patriot team this year except probably Harvard. You guys were respectable in the playoffs and have a great program. Congrats on your first FCS playoff berth and hope there are many more coming. I remember back in 2007 you guys spoiled Homecoming for eventual Patriot champ Fordham.

Sader87
December 9th, 2015, 11:08 PM
then gtf out of the Football Championship Subdivision and find a new place to post the SAME thing over and over and over.

Like the level of FCS football....loathe the playoff system. A "bowl game" against the Ivy champ trumps beating some directional state school in Frisco, TX....sorry if this offends.