PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Set to Interview for SELA Opening

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Article from the NOLA TP. Seems that Lucas will be interviewing for the position of head football coach by the University President...no surprise here, eh?

Lucas set to interview for SLU opening
Interim coach took over for ill Roland
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
From staff, wire reports

Southeastern Louisiana President Dr. Randy Moffett will interview interim coach Mike Lucas today for the Lions vacant coaching position, a source confirmed Tuesday.

Lucas took over the program on an interim basis when former coach Dennis Roland became too ill to coach and took a medical leave of absence Oct. 24. Last week, Roland was reassigned away from coaching and refused the transfer. He settled the dispute when the university bought out his contract.

Lucas has been the defensive coordinator for the past two years, but he spent the bulk of his career at Sam Houston State, where he was the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach for 13 years. Under Lucas, the Bearkats were in the top 15 in national defensive statistical categories 11 times and led the Southland Conference in defensive statistics five times.

Lucas was recruiting Tuesday night, but he will be in Hammond today for the interview, the source said. Lucas is considered the top candidate for the vacancy.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1165992811127930.xml&coll=1

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Additional article from the Hammond Star...

Lucas on coach search hot seat
By: John Lenz

Not very many years ago, Southeastern defensive coordinator Mike Lucas admits wouldn't have envisioned himself where he was to find himself today - interviewing for Southeastern's head coaching position.

"When I was a young coach I thought I never wanted to be a head coach, because it took you away from the X's and O's too much," Lucas said. "But as I've grown older, I've worked for some really good head coaches and I've learned things from all of them.

"Bill Young (UTEP) told me back in 1984, ‘You're going to work for a lot of head coaches in your life, and you're going to learn from every one of them how to do good things, and things you don't want to do. What you've got to do is glean the good things, and make sure you avoid that bad things.'”

Now Lucas figures he's ready to put those lessons to work and finds himself poised to become Southeastern's official head coach after wearing the mantle of interim head coach since mid-fall, when former Lions coach Dennis Roland's illness forced him from the sidelines.

http://hammondstar.com/articles/2006/12/13/sports/016.txt