PDA

View Full Version : UNI needs new AD

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:11 PM
Apparently Troy Dannen has left to Tulane.

So...

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2015, 01:15 PM
Where did you see this news?

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Where did you see this news?
All over twitter...

Dan Wolken and Scott Westerburg (local sports guy in CR)

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Now being "confirmed" by

Jeremiah Davis, Andrew Logue (both UNI beat guys), and Scott Kushner (New Orleans guy)

Drblankstare
December 2nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
Was this something that anyone saw coming? or a shocker?

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Well that's a good hire for Tulane!

Grizzlies82
December 2nd, 2015, 01:28 PM

So...

Skipping out before facing the Big Sky beat down.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Was this something that anyone saw coming? or a shocker?
Zero rumblings of any kind before about 30 minutes ago when Dan Wolken broke the news.

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
You can have Delaware's AD. We'll even start a gofundme for bus fare.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2015, 01:44 PM
UNI will miss Troy Dannen, a really great one at the FCS level and overseer of a great period in UNI athletics.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
I'd put 99.9999% odds that the next AD is already on staff - Steve Gearhart. I'd bet he's already been interviewed and is lined up for the job - he'll likely take over as interim AD as well.

He's the deputy AD

jtthenutt
December 2nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Never put a lot of stock into blowhards on the Des Moines radio saying he was going to bolt (he was going to take Jacobson with him) but I did hear from a couple reliable sources that Troy had been looking for a new job. I never expected Tulane but I did expect this day to come. I was sad to see Hartzell go back in the day but Troy has been amazing at UNI. I'm.......yeah

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2015, 01:49 PM
**** happens...good programs at this level are going to get poached at some point (see Gene Taylor at NDSU...). Reload....

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:50 PM
Well, we don't have to worry about Tulane poaching Jake.

We just have to make sure the next AD does whatever he can to keep the Deery's and Jake happy

X-Factor
December 2nd, 2015, 01:52 PM

So...

Must have been really pissed off at the FCS selection committee. ...can't blame him.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2015, 01:53 PM
I don't know. Never really was a fan of the guy.

I think he was decent at his job. Don't think he was nearly as good as Hartzell, but I am sure I am in the minority there. Hopefully we can get someone good. Could very well be Gearhart.

jtthenutt
December 2nd, 2015, 01:56 PM
Well, we don't have to worry about Tulane poaching Jake.

We just have to make sure the next AD does whatever he can to keep the Deery's and Jake happy

I think Ben is really happy in Cedar Falls as much as he is with UNI. He's a family first guy and not many schools can offer him what UNI has. He can walk his kids to school every day and not have to worry about the stress of a bigger school and paycheck or lack of safety of a bigger city.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 01:56 PM
I don't know. Never really was a fan of the guy.

I think he was decent at his job. Don't think he was nearly as good as Hartzell, but I am sure I am in the minority there. Hopefully we can get someone good. Could very well be Gearhart.
He was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Hartzell - who left us so far in the red it's not pretty to even think about.

Dannen was/is much harder to get along with. Most know my feelings on him personally.....Maybe now I can get off the "blacklist".

What he did at UNI was 100% unthinkable when he took the job. Remember, the reason Jake said he resigned with UNI is because of Dannen...Dannen is the reason we have a million per year to pay a coach.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
He can say he resigned because of Dannen, but he was originally hired by Hartzell. Along with Farley and Bobbi Petersen.

Honestly he did a good job at kissing rich peoples asses, but that is about it.

We are clearly going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

UNI Pike
December 2nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Hartzell was fantastic personal interaction guy. He could sell steak knives to vegetarians. The financial management was not his strength. Flip the script for Troy. I traveled to about 10 separate UNI events outside Cedar Falls during his tenure. Sometimes I was literally one of ten UNI fans on site. I was never introduced, said hello to, etc. Not that I'm Bill Gates, but crap, if there are a total of 10 UNI fans in the basketball gym, shake everyone's hand.

The he has been in the UNI job for what, seven plus years? Probably looking for some new challenges. Weather is a bit nicer in New Orleans on balance. The athletic program is definitely down the food chain.

UNI has been producing a fair number of ADs - Troy Dannen, Bob Bowlsby, (now Big 12 commish) Stan Sheriff and SDSU's current AD, whose name escapes me at the moment.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Hartzell was fantastic personal interaction guy. He could sell steak knives to vegetarians. The financial management was not his strength. Flip the script for Troy. I traveled to about 10 separate UNI events outside Cedar Falls during his tenure. Sometimes I was literally one of ten UNI fans on site. I was never introduced, said hello to, etc. Not that I'm Bill Gates, but crap, if there are a total of 10 UNI fans in the basketball gym, shake everyone's hand.

The he has been in the UNI job for what, seven plus years? Probably looking for some new challenges. Weather is a bit nicer in New Orleans on balance. The athletic program is definitely down the food chain.

UNI has been producing a fair number of ADs - Troy Dannen, Bob Bowlsby, (now Big 12 commish) Stan Sheriff and SDSU's current AD, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Justin Sell

F'N Hawks
December 2nd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Not really related but how is your President at UNI? Saw him up at the UNI/UND BB game last week.

achrist70
December 2nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Rudd is a very pro athletics President, he will make sure that the person hired is right for the job, I am not concerned at all about that.

cpacmel
December 2nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
Remember, the reason Jake said he resigned with UNI is because of Dannen...Dannen is the reason we have a million per year to pay a coach.

He can say he resigned because of Dannen, but he was originally hired by Hartzell. Along with Farley and Bobbi Petersen.

It's not resigned. It's re-signed. Kind of a big difference. Unless you mean Jake is leaving voluntarily. :)

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Rudd is a very pro athletics President, he will make sure that the person hired is right for the job, I am not concerned at all about that.
It's why I loved the hire of Rudd, and was shocked but it at the same time, given how the BOR treats UNI more often than not. However, I could see this getting dicey if faculty gets involved and tries to block an AD that has "big plans".

It's why Gearhart is the perfect hire. Already a UNI guy. Knows the donors. Knows the buttons to push. etc...

F'N Hawks
December 2nd, 2015, 02:45 PM

That is what UND needs, bad. Seems like all you guys have solid AD's and Presidents. Must be nice. :(

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
I'd put 99.9999% odds that the next AD is already on staff - Steve Gearhart. I'd bet he's already been interviewed and is lined up for the job - he'll likely take over as interim AD as well.

He's the deputy AD

he's one of the deputy ADs

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
and this also opens up a spot on the FCS selection committee. (maybe that was going to be open anyway, I have no clue what kind of term/turnover such committee spots generally have)

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
and this also opens up a spot on the FCS selection committee. (maybe that was going to be open anyway, I have no clue what kind of term/turnover such committee spots generally have)
His tenure was over anyway

BisonTru
December 2nd, 2015, 03:44 PM
I think Ben is really happy in Cedar Falls as much as he is with UNI. He's a family first guy and not many schools can offer him what UNI has. He can walk his kids to school every day and not have to worry about the stress of a bigger school and paycheck or lack of safety of a bigger city.

What are you guys paying him? IMO, if someone offers him significantly more he's gone.

UNIFanSince1983
December 2nd, 2015, 03:47 PM
What are you guys paying him? IMO, if someone offers him significantly more he's gone.

Clenz would obviously know better, but it is like 900k right now. Not sure if that is base or everything though.

It would take a great opportunity plus more money for him. He has turned down TAMU before because it wasn't the right fit. That was even before he got as high in money as he is right now too.

Not saying he won't be gone, but just saying it will take more than just a significant raise. It will be a good job too.

UNI Pike
December 2nd, 2015, 04:04 PM
Whenever the Wisconsin job is open, or the Michigan state job to a lesser degree, I will be worried

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
Clenz would obviously know better, but it is like 900k right now. Not sure if that is base or everything though.

It would take a great opportunity plus more money for him. He has turned down TAMU before because it wasn't the right fit. That was even before he got as high in money as he is right now too.

Not saying he won't be gone, but just saying it will take more than just a significant raise. It will be a good job too.
10 year deal that is essentially a million per year.

I think his base this year is $850k or $875k, by the time everything else gets added in he's over a million. It's also auto escalating and in a few years his base will be a million.

He's lived in Cedar Falls for 15-16 years now. His wife is a teacher in the area. His kids have spent their entire lives in Cedar Falls. I'm not going to say he's around forever, I'm not dumb enough to believe that. I am confident he isn't going anywhere anytime soon unless it's a Wisconsin type job offer. He turned down TAMU, and they then gave the job to Billy Kennedy, which was rumored to be 2.5M a few years ago. He was only making about 500K at the time.

Jake has every advantage he could want at UNI, without the immense pressure that comes from having a big time job. He will never not be the coach at UNI, unless he decides to leave. That kind of security is tough to leave.

He also watched his best friend, Greg McDermott, leave UNI to go to Iowa State and fail so hard and watched a fan base turn on him so fast. I can't imagine Jake wants to go through that, or put his family through that.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 04:20 PM
He is the school’s all-time winningest coach with 197 victories. Jacobson is a three-time MVC Coach of the Year and was named the NABC District Coach of the Year in 2014-15. Under Jacobson’s leadership the Panthers' program is the only MVC men’s basketball team to be listed in the top-10 percent of the Academic Progress Report in each of the past two seasons. UNI was also one of 10 schools to be in the top-10 percent of the APR and take part in the 2015 NCAA Tournament.
“Dawn and I and the boys could not be happier to continue to receive the overwhelming support of our community, our campus and our alums,” said Jacobson. “The foundation of our program continues to grow. I want to thank all who have made this growth possible. The relationships and support have allowed us to recruit quality young men that will represent our program in a manner that we can all be proud of. I look forward to continuing the process of helping UNI basketball reach new heights.”

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-04-02/northern-iowa-coach-ben-jacobson-signs-10-year-contract
He's now over 200 career wins at UNI, and I believe is now in the top 5 or 7 for wins all time by an MVC coach

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2015, 04:27 PM
Just saw this. Why would anyone want to go to Tulane? I know it's a terrific school academically and the AAC is step-up but why? Unless his ultimate goal is to get a gig at Vanderbilt, UVA, Georgia Tech etc by hoping there's a miracle to be had in New Orleans. Given the success of UNI I can't help but think he could have moved into an assistant or perhaps even head AD gig at a Big 10 or Big 12 school...

Tulane? yikes....

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 04:29 PM
He's top 20 in MVC history in win %...that's pretty impressive considering where UNI was as a basketball program 15 years ago and the coaches the MVC has had in it

He's #8 all time in conference wins

He's # 9 all time in total wins. He very well could be between 4th and 6th by the end of the year.

clenz
December 2nd, 2015, 04:31 PM
Just saw this. Why would anyone want to go to Tulane? I know it's a terrific school academically and the AAC is step-up but why? Unless his ultimate goal is to get a gig at Vanderbilt, UVA, Georgia Tech etc by hoping there's a miracle to be had in New Orleans. Given the success of UNI I can't help but think he could have moved into an assistant or perhaps even head AD gig at a Big 10 or Big 12 school...

Tulane? yikes....
That's my issue at this.

I kept hearing he wanted an FBS gig, but to jump at this leaves many wondering. It also seems to leave UNI fans that weren't opposed to a FBS move should it come about wondering if a FBS move would ever be possible now. If Dannen thought it was "close" why wouldn't he stick around his alma matar to guide that transition.

The thing to watch is this - he is still employed by UNI through the end of the month. His first job is to hire a new football coach at Tulane. Will UNI be paying him to conduct a search for Tulane? I can't imagine Tulane would wait to to start that search until Jan...and won't hire until Dannen gets there.

UNI Pike
December 2nd, 2015, 04:53 PM
I would expect that Dannen may use up his accrued vacation time at the end of the year, to prepare for the move, if you know what I mean.

NDSUtk
December 2nd, 2015, 09:20 PM
That is what UND needs, bad. Seems like all you guys have solid AD's and Presidents. Must be nice. :(
You're getting Drew Wrigley is my guess. Not sure what he will do for sports.

Kemo
December 3rd, 2015, 04:53 AM

Justin Sell
Justin Sell has been fantastic as the AD at SDSU.

I'd be surprised if he'd make the move to UNI even with the ties to their department, though I'd also be surprised if UNI doesn't at least give him a call to see his interest.

A name that could very well be on the list of finalist for the UNI AD position is current SDSU Deputy AD Leon Costello, who has also spent time in the Panther Athletic Department.

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2015, 08:37 AM
That's my issue at this.

I kept hearing he wanted an FBS gig, but to jump at this leaves many wondering. It also seems to leave UNI fans that weren't opposed to a FBS move should it come about wondering if a FBS move would ever be possible now. If Dannen thought it was "close" why wouldn't he stick around his alma matar to guide that transition.

The thing to watch is this - he is still employed by UNI through the end of the month. His first job is to hire a new football coach at Tulane. Will UNI be paying him to conduct a search for Tulane? I can't imagine Tulane would wait to to start that search until Jan...and won't hire until Dannen gets there.

I don't think Tulane's AD retires until like May though.

clenz
December 3rd, 2015, 08:43 AM
I don't think Tulane's AD retires until like May though.
End of the academic fiscal year - June 30th

He's also now using the UNI AD twitter account to interact with Tulane fans and used the hashtag #rollwave probably a dozen times last night.

He hasn't interacted with UNI fans on that twitter, pretty much ever. He's either still the UNI AD or he isn't. If he is then he needs to cut that **** out. If he isn't, then he needs to get rid of the handle. He's starting to burn the bridge he had with many fans over that.

Also, no god damn way Tulane is waiting to start a coaching search until Jan. So UNI is going to be paying him to search for a Tulane coach. Why the **** does he need to stay at UNI at this point? An interim AD has been named, and there are 5 deputy AD's who are likely the finalists for the job (along with maybe Sell and Costello from SDSU). The AD is in good enough shape that he can get the **** out now.

clenz
December 3rd, 2015, 08:46 AM
Justin Sell has been fantastic as the AD at SDSU.

I'd be surprised if he'd make the move to UNI even with the ties to their department, though I'd also be surprised if UNI doesn't at least give him a call to see his interest.

A name that could very well be on the list of finalist for the UNI AD position is current SDSU Deputy AD Leon Costello, who has also spent time in the Panther Athletic Department.
Sell will get an interview. He left because he wanted an AD job but didn't think Troy was leaving UNI before about another decade. He's done very well at SDSU, his biggest obstacle is the relationship Gearhart, Berger, and Schofield already have with the big donors, the Panther community, etc... that has been cultivated since Sell left.

Costello is interesting. UNI's marketing was at it's peak with him around. Since he left it's gone way down. He is, still, very well liked over here. If UNI goes internal with one of the deputies, it will be interesting to see if Costello gets an offer to come back to UNI to fill that role.

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2015, 09:09 AM
End of the academic fiscal year - June 30th

He's also now using the UNI AD twitter account to interact with Tulane fans and used the hashtag #rollwave probably a dozen times last night.

He hasn't interacted with UNI fans on that twitter, pretty much ever. He's either still the UNI AD or he isn't. If he is then he needs to cut that **** out. If he isn't, then he needs to get rid of the handle. He's starting to burn the bridge he had with many fans over that.

Also, no god damn way Tulane is waiting to start a coaching search until Jan. So UNI is going to be paying him to search for a Tulane coach. Why the **** does he need to stay at UNI at this point? An interim AD has been named, and there are 5 deputy AD's who are likely the finalists for the job (along with maybe Sell and Costello from SDSU). The AD is in good enough shape that he can get the **** out now.

The guy did well with the financials here at UNI, but he always has been a slimeball. These things you mention about his twitter, and so on just further that point.

I would hope UNI says just get out. Change the twitter handle and stop acting like you represent this university.

clenz
December 3rd, 2015, 09:18 AM
The guy did well with the financials here at UNI, but he always has been a slimeball. These things you mention about his twitter, and so on just further that point.
xnodx

It's taking everything I have to not say some things I want too. I was talking with my mother-in-law last night, who serves on some committees at UNI and interacts with Ruud and Dannen, and was a athletic director in the state of Iowa for 30 years and worked closely with Dannen while he was at the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union, echoed those thoughts. She said when he was 5th or 6th on the totem pole at the IGHSAU he was very reserved and respectful. He was then hand chosen by the director as he was leaving and the power instantly went to his head and it never stopped growing.

If you didn't donate 10k plus per year to UNI, and/or have that kind of money to potentially donate, Dannen doesn't give a **** if you are a UNI fan or not. He hates UNI fans who didn't blindly follow his line. He created a blacklist for that kind of fan - any ticket request/seat upgrade/etc... with that persons name on it got thrown out or moved to the very back of the list.

President Ruud, by every account, is the exact opposite. He will go out of his way to shake everyone's hand and introduce himself to anyone wearing purple. He treats everyone with the same respect, no matter if it's the Deery's who donated more money than I could comprehend, or random joe schmuck who is going to his first UNI event ever. There was a strong philosophical difference between the two.

What Dannen did financially at UNI can't be overlooked, even by those of us who don't like him as a person. The next AD needs to have that same type of goal. Almost no one will miss his smug demeanor though.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2015, 09:33 AM
Just from checking his Twitter account, Dannen seems like a total douche, or he's too stupid to realize his Twitter handle - IE: He doesn't realize someone set that account up for him and doesn't realize it's UNIAD and can be/should be changed.

clenz
December 3rd, 2015, 09:39 AM
Just from checking his Twitter account, Dannen seems like a total douche, or he's too stupid to realize his Twitter handle - IE: He doesn't realize someone set that account up for him and doesn't realize it's UNIAD and can be/should be changed.
1. He is a total douche
2. He knows what his handle is
3. Tulane supporters have already told him that have multiple Tulane based names for him to use, and he picked one. Just hasn't changed to it yet.

Again, he did great things for UNI. Doesn't change the fact he is a douche.

jtthenutt
December 3rd, 2015, 11:41 AM
Whenever the Wisconsin job is open, or the Michigan state job to a lesser degree, I will be worried

Let me squash this Wisconsin one. Again. Wisconsin already has a guy in one of their 27 satellite schools. Might be Stephens Point or Eau Claire...etc. They have a guy just like Bo Ryan that will take it over. I've heard this from numerous people that follow Wisconsin. Michigan State MAYBE. But we're several years away from that happening.

UNI Pike
December 3rd, 2015, 12:39 PM
Unexpected stuff happens for a multitude of reasons. You're not paranoid if someone is actually out to get you...

cpacmel
December 3rd, 2015, 02:13 PM
What's the connection with Jake and Michigan State?

clenz
December 3rd, 2015, 02:24 PM
What's the connection with Jake and Michigan State?
There isn't one other than standard style of play.

That seems like a rather large stretch for me. Jake loves his cabin/lakes in northern Minnesota. He's going to stay in the upper mid-west. Minnesota/Wisconsin are the only two that worry most UNI fans.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Sounds like finalists will be on campus Mon-Wed next week. Names are pretty tight but two names are known, only 1 is a known finalist the other isn't clear if it's finalist.

The "known finalist" is UN-O AD Trev Alberts. He went to high school at UNI's lab school. Starred at Nebraska and played in the NFL. Reaction on this seems mixed right now.

The other name that was floated, though unknown on actual status, is former UNI QB and head coach, 2nd all time in MVFC wins...Terry Allen. His son just signed with Iowa State to play football so it would get him back into the area from the Ozarks to see his kid play in person/TV and stay in personal contact with rather than phone calls from the Ozarks

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2016, 01:11 PM
From an outsider view it seems like Terry Allen would be a great choice basically understanding the workings of those he would now be trying to the best job for and so forth in his new position.

clenz
February 13th, 2016, 01:22 PM
From an outsider view it seems like Terry Allen would be a great choice basically understanding the workings of those he would now be trying to the best job for and so forth in his new position.

Allen seems to have a fair amount of support. He's still well liked by UNI fans and donors. The biggest key for the new AD will be fundraising. Dannen was a smug so and so but he could fundraiser like crazy. The support system is in place for the day to day activities so of TA can fundraise that's what matters.

At his age it's also likely his last stop of any kind. 10-15 years and he rides off into the sun set a true UNI legend of he does well

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Allen seems to have a fair amount of support. He's still well liked by UNI fans and donors. The biggest key for the new AD will be fundraising. Dannen was a smug so and so but he could fundraiser like crazy. The support system is in place for the day to day activities so of TA can fundraise that's what matters.

At his age it's also likely his last stop of any kind. 10-15 years and he rides off into the sun set a true UNI legend of he does well

I would think most of the fundraising is done amongst people that are/were close to being what would be considered contemporaries for him so unless he wasn't liked I don't see a drop off but that doesn't appear to be the case so that realy seems like the best story line for a new AD that one could come up with.

AmsterBison
February 14th, 2016, 02:59 AM
The "known finalist" is UN-O AD Trev Alberts. He went to high school at UNI's lab school. Starred at Nebraska and played in the NFL. Reaction on this seems mixed right now.

This just in: UNI gets a hockey team. And shuts down football and wrestling.

clenz
February 14th, 2016, 09:04 AM
This just in: UNI gets a hockey team. And shuts down football and wrestling.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160214/36f6eb3755bf2f7f46ae111447303259.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I was never a fan of Trev Alberts when he worked for ESPN in the mid 2000's. He was always a bit of a tool imo.

JayJ79
February 14th, 2016, 03:49 PM
at one point, UNI did have a hockey team, albeit at the "club" level (like rugby). No clue if it is still around or not, though

Bisonoline
February 14th, 2016, 05:13 PM
at one point, UNI did have a hockey team, albeit at the "club" level (like rugby). No clue if it is still around or not, though

http://unipantherhockey.com/

Bisonator
February 14th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Any chance Farley takes over as permanent AD?

clenz
February 14th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Any chance Farley takes over as permanent AD?

Not this time around. He was interim between Hartzel and Dannen.

If this was 6 or 7 years from now? Sure. The fire to coach is still way too strong.

I want to see the names of the other finalists. Alberts doesn't do it for me, or any other UNI fan

Given he's the only name leaked I think his camp leaked it to leverage something at UNO

clenz
February 15th, 2016, 07:59 PM
First finalist is Peter Fields, the Director of Athletics at Montana State.

Isn't he getting fired?

So the search is going swimmingly if it's Alberts and fields as 2 of the 3

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 15th, 2016, 08:17 PM
First finalist is Peter Fields, the Director of Athletics at Montana State.

Isn't he getting fired?

So the search is going swimmingly if it's Alberts and fields as 2 of the 3

A lot of MSU boosters do not like Fields! Some wanted Ash gone but Fields was the one that most people wanted fired first.

Bisonator
February 15th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Fields is a dick. Big dick.

BisonFan02
February 15th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Fields is a dick. Big dick.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

dgtw
February 16th, 2016, 08:37 AM
What is wrong with Fields?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
February 16th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Well NDSU fans don't like him because he bought out of games with them.

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 08:46 AM
What is wrong with Fields?

Well, he's getting fired. Not exactly how I'd want UNI's new AD to be leaving his last job..

Also

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-will-not-renew-contract-of-athletic-director-peter/article_7dd8b6c0-9b2d-5827-816c-2e3fd24965ba.html

His tenure was highlighted by distinct successes.

In particular, MSU’s athletic programs thrived academically under Fields. The Bobcats produced a combined grade-point average of 3.0 or better for 21 consecutive semesters. In both the 2004-05 and 2011-12 academic years, MSU won the Big Sky Conference Presidents’ Cup, which goes to the institution with the best academic and athletic achievement.
During his term, Fields was named the FCS West Region athletic director of the year by the National Association of Collegiate Directors, and was the recipient of the 2007 General Robert R. Neyland outstanding athletic director award from the All-America Football Foundation.
Fields helped lead major facility renovations for both Bobcat Stadium and Brick Breeden Fieldhouse. Bobcat Stadium was fitted with synthetic turf in 2008, and the $10 million south end zone project was completed before the 2011 season, which bowled-in one half of the stadium and raised seating capacity beyond 17,000.
Brick Breeden Fieldhouse, the home of the MSU basketball and track teams, was also renovated with improved seating and a state of the art indoor track-and-field surface.

Sounds really good....until the next part

But several of Fields’ decisions came under scrutiny. His dismissal of football coach Mike Kramer in the spring of 2007 was highly unpopular. The athletic department also made national news for the wrong reasons around that same time.
A story in Sports Illustrated in August of 2007 chronicled the infamous crime wave perpetrated by former football athletes, including a cocaine ring and the murder of a drug dealer.
Fields presided over the hiring of Kramer’s successor, Rob Ash, in 2007, as well as Ash's firing in November of last year. After Ash’s dismissal, some MSU supporters demanded change at the top.
A “Fire Peter Fields” Facebook page was created, as was a Change.org (http://change.org/) petition urging Cruzado to remove the athletic director, which garnered around 650 signatures.

Hambone
February 16th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I would like to offer Brian Faison from UND if you are interested........ xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 16th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I would like to offer Brian Faison from UND if you are interested........ xnodx

Don't most UND rubes love this guy?

Hambone
February 16th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Don't most UND rubes love this guy?

Depends - I think the hockey fans like him. I could take or leave him (he's done some good things) - I think I'm just ready for some new blood and I believe the list is growing that feel the same.

JSUBison
February 16th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Well NDSU fans don't like him because he bought out of games with them.

It's not only that. I get the whole buyouts are written into contracts for a reason explanation, but it was how it all went down. Couple months before regular season I think. Kind of like Savannah State with you guys. I remember back when this happened, he was interviewed on a Fargo radio station. His whole attitude toward the buyout thing seemed dismissive, and he gave off a really pathetic meh-like vibe. Kind of like a "it's a money issue, we wanted an extra home game, deal with it". I think a decent AD would have handled it a lot better and not burned a bridge to duck NDSU. And make no mistake, it was 100% about not playing NDSU. You don't actively shop around for a game to replace NDSU if you want to play NDSU, c'mon man! I think someone actually broke down the money and it wasn't but a few bucks more they netted. Not enough to create bad blood imo. Run away from this guy UNI, run away!

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I really hope Trev Alberts isn't true.

I really hope we see Terry Allen's name pop up...or Justin Sell coming home....or a "surprise" internal hire.

centennial
February 16th, 2016, 11:10 AM
It's not only that. I get the whole buyouts are written into contracts for a reason explanation, but it was how it all went down. Couple months before regular season I think. Kind of like Savannah State with you guys. I remember back when this happened, he was interviewed on a Fargo radio station. His whole attitude toward the buyout thing seemed dismissive, and he gave off a really pathetic meh-like vibe. Kind of like a "it's a money issue, we wanted an extra home game, deal with it". I think a decent AD would have handled it a lot better and not burned a bridge to duck NDSU. And make no mistake, it was 100% about not playing NDSU. You don't actively shop around for a game to replace NDSU if you want to play NDSU, c'mon man! I think someone actually broke down the money and it wasn't but a few bucks more they netted. Not enough to create bad blood imo. Run away from this guy UNI, run away!
NDSU was a almost certain loss. A FBS loss doesn't hurt the team as much. He completely pussed out. Let's be honest, outside of a few teams, most teams don't want to come to the Fargo Dome for a beating.

Thumper 76
February 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM
or Justin Sell coming home

boy I really hope not for SDSU

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Interviewing today for the UNI AD job is current Minnesota State AD Kevin Buisman. One more candidate tomorrow.

I really, really, really hope they save the best for last. If it is indeed Alberts I demand a riot held on campus in front of the UNIDome.

We have MSU-Mankato fans here...talk me off the ledge of this one.

Granted, he is a UNI alum and former football player...but still

AmsterBison
February 16th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I really hope Trev Alberts isn't true.

I'm pretty sure that the streets leading to NDSU would be barricaded if Trev Alberts was ever considered for the NDSU job. :)

Cripes, Alberts (who shut down Nebraka-Omaha football and wrestling) and the Montana State AD who backed out of the game at NDSU as two of the finalists? Maybe the third finalist is UNoDak's old AD, Roger Thomas. :)

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 12:57 PM
To be fair to Buisman, his bio does read pretty impressively

http://www.msumavericks.com/staff.aspx?staff=1

Most importantly, related to UNI...

After collaborating with the Department of Campus Recreation to help engineer a $6.2 million outdoor facilities plan, the attention now turns to funding a $31.5 million dollar master plan that
will focus almost exclusively on MSU’s outdoor athletic facilities. In addition, Buisman helped to spearhead donor, alumni, and community support that resulted in just over $14.5 million in state bonding bill funding that, in part, will be earmarked for arena improvements which will help make the downtown Verizon Wireless Center the new home of Maverick men’s and women’s hockey beginning Fall 2015.

He also was an associate AD at UNI for a short time....

He's WAY...WAY...better than Fields.

F'N Hawks
February 16th, 2016, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that the streets leading to NDSU would be barricaded if Trev Alberts was ever considered for the NDSU job. :)

Cripes, Alberts (who shut down Nebraka-Omaha football and wrestling) and the Montana State AD who backed out of the game at NDSU as two of the finalists? Maybe the third finalist is UNoDak's old AD, Roger Thomas. :)

Not that I ever agree with shutting down football but it did get their two big sports a brand new 7,500 seat facility. Maybe that would have happened with football and wrestling, too. Who knows. Would like to know the revenue produced by the hockey team since he went all win with them.

Laker
February 16th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Interviewing today for the UNI AD job is current Minnesota State AD Kevin Buisman. One more candidate tomorrow.

I really, really, really hope they save the best for last. If it is indeed Alberts I demand a riot held on campus in front of the UNIDome.

We have MSU-Mankato fans here...talk me off the ledge of this one.

Granted, he is a UNI alum and former football player...but still

Buisman has done a great all around job at MSU. Football speaks for itself. I remember our men's basketball coach noting that the men's, women's and the men's hockey team had all won over 20 games in a season. Baseball has been outstanding. Soccer is excellent. Wrestling and track/cc are good. Volleyball is OK in the toughest conference in the nation. The worst athletic program is women's hockey.

He knows that I show up for many sports both home and on the road. He has always been good to me- sat and answered my questions. He has also dealt with cancer.

I don't want to see him go, but if I was UNI I'd hire him.

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Sounds like the guy tomorrow is currently employed by Iowa State.

None of the names are "Wowing", and it sounds like there were some "bigger names" that wanted the job but didn't get an interview, which is odd.

This whole thing has been odd.

F'N Hawks
February 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM

None of the names are "Wowing", and it sounds like there were some "bigger names" that wanted the job but didn't get an interview, which is odd.

May have been asked already but are the names that officially apply a matter of public record for whoever requests like in ND?

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 02:33 PM
May have been asked already but are the names that officially apply a matter of public record for whoever requests like in ND?
Search committee used. I doubt many "applied" beyond the candidates invited.

Sounds like the guy from Montana State was a complete smug prick bag the entire time on campus. He has zero chance.

Laker
February 16th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Sounds like the guy from MSU was a complete smug prick bag the entire time on campus. He has zero chance.

Montana State???????

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Montana State???????
Yeah, sorry.

BisonFan02
February 16th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Montana State???????

Naw, Mankato. :D (yeah...I read it that way too....then remembered Fields interviewed).

UNIFanSince1983
February 16th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Yeah, sorry.

Good. You had me worried for a minute that it was the Minnesota State guy who seemed pretty decent. At least better than the Montana State guy who was fired from Montana State.

IBleedYellow
February 16th, 2016, 03:35 PM

For what it's worth, when NDSU had to hire a new AD, I was really looking forward to a name that would really WOW, and I never got that.

Our current AD finally "gets" NDSU and what we're about, but I think I feel into a trap of thinking the NDSU job was better than it really is.

May be the same thing you're having with UNI right now?

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 03:56 PM
For what it's worth, when NDSU had to hire a new AD, I was really looking forward to a name that would really WOW, and I never got that.

Our current AD finally "gets" NDSU and what we're about, but I think I feel into a trap of thinking the NDSU job was better than it really is.

May be the same thing you're having with UNI right now?
Dannen was thought of as a complete failure of a hire and a shill for the BOR to run UNI into the ground in favor of UI/ISU. Those thoughts were mostly completely wrong - some still don't like how he conceded to UI/ISU at times but record donations, record ticket revenue, record everything all while having funding from the state cut by 50-75% is pretty successful, no matter what I thought of him as a person. I think that's clearly what UNI is looking at again.

Fields resume seemed to be built on "Look what I did getting the football stadium funded". Then he got to campus and was a complete assbag from what I heard.

Buisman's resume when it comes to budgeting/funding/balancing a large athletic department (Mankato doesn't seem to have a typical D2 department) along with his UNI ties make him very likable to UNI fans as we read more about him. The initial reaction was not good because all we saw was D2 athletic director. As more has come out about him the more and more he is growing on those I've talked with. No idea how his visit today went, but it's his job as of now. His resume also doesn't include a cocaine ring and a drug king pin murder by athletes under his watch...so...

I know the name of the guy on campus tomorrow. Also would be a good hire. I have some concerns that are likely nothing more than "little brother syndrome" given he's from Iowa State. He's been fairly high ranking at a B12 school, B10 school, and an SEC school and he's been a finalist for other AD jobs.

I think I read the exact line "but I think I feel into a trap of thinking the NDSU job was better than it really is" only replace NDSU with UNI from a couple places today. I've also read that bigger names wanted to interview but didn't get a chance - haven't been able to track those names down yet though.

It was pointed out in the UI/UNI/ISU bill thread that UNI has never understood their identity in the state until about 2008 - when Dannen was hired. I think it's known exactly what we are right now and it's finding a guy to fill that roll while pushing to be better.

IBleedYellow
February 16th, 2016, 04:25 PM
"Fell* into a trap of thinking the UNI/NDSU job was better than it really is."

Damn spelling.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 16th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Sounds like the guy from Montana State was a complete smug prick bag the entire time on campus. He has zero chance.

How did Fields even get an interview?

The club I worked for in Bozeman bought advertising through MSU athletics and did a couple of joint advertising campaigns with the school. The GM had to briefly speak with Fields on at least two occasions. Neither instance went smoothly....

We had a couple of members who prominent boosters. They were not fans of his either....

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 04:31 PM

The club I worked for in Bozeman did various bought advertising through MSU athletics and did a couple of joint advertising campaigns with the school. The GM had to briefly speak with Fields on at least two occasions. Neither instance went smoothly....

We had a couple of members who prominent boosters. They were not fans of his either....
No idea. It's why this whole thing seems odd.

Thankfully he has less than a 0% chance of the job

BisonFan02
February 16th, 2016, 04:32 PM
No idea. It's why this whole thing seems odd.

Thankfully he has less than a 0% chance of the job

Quoted just in case....:D

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Quoted just in case....:D
Based on what I know about today and who is coming in tomorrow I will gladly make this bet.

If Fields gets the job I will burn every piece of UNI clothing I have and become an NDSU and Iowa apologist like you wouldn't believe.

IBleedYellow
February 16th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Based on what I know about today and who is coming in tomorrow I will gladly make this bet.

If Fields gets the job I will burn every piece of UNI clothing I have and become an NDSU and Iowa apologist like you wouldn't believe.

Quoting also.

BisonFan02
February 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM

AGS WAGERS! xlolx By the way, I'm not betting **** in regards to Fields getting the UNI job. I pretty much agree with you....its more like 1 in a Million..............soooooo..........*finish this sentence*

PantherRob82
February 16th, 2016, 08:51 PM
So is this a bet? xlolx

clenz
February 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I'm 100% in

BisonFan02
February 16th, 2016, 09:03 PM
I'm 100% in

I'm in....if I lose, I will give you a firm handshake and an atta boy the next time I see you....might even buy ya a beer. :D

dgtw
February 16th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Starting a gofundme page to get him the job.

Yote 53
February 17th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please...

IBleedYellow
February 17th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I'm in....if I lose, I will give you a firm handshake and an atta boy the next time I see you....might even buy ya a beer. :D

What an awesome DD, buying all of us beers! That's what I'm talking about :D

BisonFan02
February 17th, 2016, 10:12 AM
What an awesome DD, buying all of us beers! That's what I'm talking about :D

What part of "you" did you not understand? xlolx I didn't say "y'all" :D

IBleedYellow
February 17th, 2016, 10:16 AM
What part of "you" did you not understand? xlolx I didn't say "y'all" :D

In the sense of Clenz and I. Ya'll is implied.

Same with Clenz and You when I say "you."

BisonFan02
February 17th, 2016, 10:18 AM
In the sense of Clenz and I. Ya'll is implied.

Same with Clenz and You when I say "you."

You people? What do you mean by "you"? Is it because Clenz is black? :D

IBleedYellow
February 17th, 2016, 10:22 AM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/bal0OZzvIWGoU/200_s.gif

JayJ79
February 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM

The club I worked for in Bozeman bought advertising through MSU athletics and did a couple of joint advertising campaigns with the school. The GM had to briefly speak with Fields on at least two occasions. Neither instance went smoothly....

did you sell alot of joints?

AmsterBison
February 17th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Not that I ever agree with shutting down football but it did get their two big sports a brand new 7,500 seat facility. Maybe that would have happened with football and wrestling, too. Who knows. Would like to know the revenue produced by the hockey team since he went all win with them.

I'm not even sure why anybody would entertain the idea that a new arena is a fair trade for closing down the football and wrestling teams.

Then I remembered that UND sold its soul for an 11,643-seat arena.

So UNO made a better deal.

But only relative to what UND did.

Too soon? :)

F'N Hawks
February 17th, 2016, 03:36 PM
I'm not even sure why anybody would entertain the idea that a new arena is a fair trade for closing down the football and wrestling teams.

Then I remembered that UND sold its soul for an 11,643-seat arena.

So UNO made a better deal.

But only relative to what UND did.

Too soon? :)

How did they sell their soul for a new arena?

Catbooster
February 19th, 2016, 12:16 AM
If they hire Fields, I'll buy you a beer Clenz - you'll need one

clenz
February 19th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Sounds like we will know early next week

I'd i had to guess, based on what I've heard it's

1. Buisman
2. Harris

3. Fields

Harris is right behind, and was impressive. Buisman's UNI background and known fundraising ability gives him and edge early on in he discussions.

Laker
February 19th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Clenz, when will they announce their decision? I'm going to the basketball games at MSU-Mankato tonight and tomorrow- Buisman is usually there.

UNIFanSince1983
February 19th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Sounds like we will know early next week

I'd i had to guess, based on what I've heard it's

1. Buisman
2. Harris

3. Fields

Harris is right behind, and was impressive. Buisman's UNI background and known fundraising ability gives him and edge early on in he discussions.

I can now see why Fields ended up being a finalist. Michael Hager is heading up the search committee...

clenz
February 19th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Clenz, when will they announce their decision? I'm going to the basketball games at MSU-Mankato tonight and tomorrow- Buisman is usually there.
March 1st is the "deadline" they have set for when they want it done. I've read that the decision *may* come as early as the first half of next week.

My rank would be the same as what I've heard it was after the visits. Buisman's fundraising history, and budget balancing at a D2 school is on part/better than many D1 schools. To think what he could do for UNI is pretty nice. Put his history at UNI - alum, football player, former senior associate athletic director - which makes it unlikely he's only a 3 to 5 year guy looking for his next step up which creates stability is very tough to not like. He's only 51 so he could put in 10+ years at UNI and still get a bigger job if he really wanted it.

Harris I would be okay with as well. He's worked in high positions at Ole Miss, Wisconsin, and Iowa State - hell, he was the interim AD at Iowa State for 5 months or so while Pollard recovered from his heart attack last year. He's clearly qualified, and from all accounts very personable. My concern would be he's only 44ish and I don't see UNI being a place he's at for more than a handful of years if he's successful. Now, it's a good thing if he's done well enough to get bigger offers, I just don't like turnover.

Fields...well, just no.

clenz
February 23rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Press conference scheduled for 2PM Central Winning Time tomorrow (Wednesday 2/24)

Sounds like it's going to be David Harris, Senior Associate AD for Student Services, at Iowa State.

He was a finalist for the UAB job last year.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=507565

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/400/AN/ANJUNLFZHXWVBTN.20150415210019.jpg

David Harris, an intercollegiate athletics administrator at three different schools, has served as Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student Services at Iowa State since 2006.

Harris is the sports administrator for football, men’s basketball and wrestling and also has oversight responsibilities for student-athlete development, compliance, athletic training and strength & conditioning at Iowa State.

Under Harris’ direction, the Cyclones earned a prestigious “Program of Excellence” award for its life skills program (2008); recorded an all-time best student-athlete graduation rate (79% in 2009); and the athletic training unit was named the Big 12’s best (2008 and 2014). ISU’s student-athlete graduation rate was second-best in the Big 12 last year.

Outside of his work for the athletics department, Harris was named a Fellow by the Division 1A Athletics Directors Association in 2011. The program establishes personal mentoring relations for future Athletics Directors. He also earned the 2012 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Advancing Once Community Award for his commitment in helping establish a multicultural community in Ames.

Prior to ISU, Harris worked in the athletics department at Wisconsin (2002-06) where three promotions lifted him to the Senior Staff in 2004. Harris was an Associate A.D. for Student Services, a role in which he was the athletics department’s chief academic officer. He also had oversight of the compliance office.

Harris improved UW-Madison’s life skills program (which also received a “Program of Excellence” designation) and established the state’s first chapter of the Chi Alpha Sigma honor society. Under Harris’ leadership, Wisconsin student-athletes achieved a school-record graduation rate (88 percent) in 2003.

Harris also worked at his alma mater, Ole Miss, and was promoted two times. He served as Regional Admissions Counselor / Coordinator of Minority Recruitment (1995-97), NCAA Certification Officer (1997-98) and Director of Academic Support (1998-2002).

Harris lettered three years in football at Ole Miss and was a member of three bowl teams (Liberty in 1989 and 1992 and Gator in 1991).

Harris earned both B.B.A. (in 1993) and M.B.A. (in 1995) degrees from Ole Miss.

David and his, wife (Felicia) have a daughter, Kaitlyn and a son, Wesley

Laker
February 23rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
Local TV station makes Buisman's withdrawal official. It has to be Harris.

http://www.keyc.com/story/31294167/buisman-withdraws-uni-athletic-director-candidacy

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 11:18 AM
If you're bored you can watch on ESPN3 at 2PM Central Winning Time

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#search/northern iowa/type/upcoming/

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Presser has started

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2773105/

Half of Iowa State's athletic administration is there as well - including AD Jamie Pollard

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 02:13 PM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/Untitled_zpstnplk7j4.png

F'N Hawks
February 24th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Was looking forward to saying to myself, "Yes. Finally another D1 college has hired an idiot to be their AD - we aren't the only one's". Nope, he looks pretty good. xbawlingx

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Was looking forward to saying to myself, "Yes. Finally another D1 college has hired an idiot to be their AD - we aren't the only one's". Nope, he looks pretty good. xbawlingx
It's going to sound weird to say, but he DOMINATED every single aspect of that press conference.

I was excited based on what I read about him, but after that presser I'm beyond pumped about him.

This was me every time he answered a question

https://31.media.tumblr.com/af61d6ea82824c4b18a7a90e6caed053/tumblr_inline_nm3a01vf3M1r27vah.gif

ursus arctos horribilis
February 24th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Congrats UNI and Mr. Harris.

dgtw
February 24th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Congrats to him on getting the job. I would worry he'd leave you for Ole Miss someday. With their past record on race related issues, hiring him would be a good PR move if he proves to be a solid AD.

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Some quotes/tidbits

-"I want us to be excellent...all the time. We want to win championships. Make no doubt,"
-"We are going to do things the right way, in everything that we do. They value the way that you win,"
-The facilities plan for the dome upgrades, basketball practice facility, etc... are going to move forward pretty much immediately.
-Harris on state funding (re: from ISU/Iowa): we want to receive the appropriations we deserve. Joked about his perspective changing on it.
-He said he asked Troy Dannen about the job - Troy told him it was a "fantastic job"
-Mention that Iowa State AD Pollard was the single most influential person.
-The importance of family to him. Spent a lot of time talking about how important his wife and kids were to him, and he wouldn't have taken the job if it took him away from them too much. Mentioned his mom passing 10 years ago, and how important she was and how the family got together over Christmas and had a celebration of her life. His dad lives in Baton Rouge and how big of an influence he's had on his path to where he is.
- Mentioned he applied because of UNI's academic reputation (he started his career in academic affairs and was key in Iowa State's graduation rate), the foundation in place around athletics at UNI, and he felt home in Cedar Falls.
- His vision is to be great, not just on the field, but off and especially in the community. This is something UNI has lacked. On-field/court has been good but the community engagement from UNI has always been poor. His personality, from what I've read and saw, will be GREAT getting the entire Cedar Valley engaged.
-Wants student athletes to be able to say, "I graduated with a major of my choosing. I competed for championships. I felt cared for as a person. I want to be someone who donates when they have an opportunity. I would recommend UNI to others."
-He was asked what it meant to him to be one of the few African-American athletic directors. You could tell he had prepared for that kind of question, but was genuinely appreciative it was asked and had a fantastic answer about how it's an honor to be able to say he is and how he wants to represent as best as he can for others to get a chance.

I mean....that was a 10 of 10 presser

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Congrats to him on getting the job. I would worry he'd leave you for Ole Miss someday. With their past record on race related issues, hiring him would be a good PR move if he proves to be a solid AD.
The "stepping stone" issue is why I would have liked Buisman. He clearly would have been a lifer. HOWEVER, the more I think about it the more I realize that if he is around for 5-8 years and Ole Miss comes calling, it means he did a pretty damn good job. This will be a stepping stone for him, and I'm okay with that. I think he's going to push harder to get things done and really prove what he can do to show bigger schools "Hey, if I can do it at UNI think what I can do at *insert P5 school with P5 resources*.". I'm okay with that.

Not that Buisman wouldn't have pushed to make changes and push towards the future but the fire to prove himself from Harris is likely higher....note I really like Buisman as well...

If in 5 years Harris is gone for Ole Miss, UNI is in a MUCH better place than it is now, and that's all we could as for...right?

BisonFan02
February 24th, 2016, 03:25 PM
The "stepping stone" issue is why I would have liked Buisman. He clearly would have been a lifer. HOWEVER, the more I think about it the more I realize that if he is around for 5-8 years and Ole Miss comes calling, it means he did a pretty damn good job. This will be a stepping stone for him, and I'm okay with that. I think he's going to push harder to get things done and really prove what he can do to show bigger schools "Hey, if I can do it at UNI think what I can do at *insert P5 school with P5 resources*.". I'm okay with that.

Not that Buisman wouldn't have pushed to make changes and push towards the future but the fire to prove himself from Harris is likely higher....note I really like Buisman as well...

If in 5 years Harris is gone for Ole Miss, UNI is in a MUCH better place than it is now, and that's all we could as for...right?

Pretty much...thought the same of Gene Taylor...and now with Matt Larsen.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 24th, 2016, 06:35 PM
How did they sell their soul for a new arena?

Well rumor has it they buried some kind of fighting hawk in the old Indian cemetery alongside Ralph's noggin.

IBleedYellow
February 24th, 2016, 08:22 PM

We have different philosophies. The people that I want to see get hired @ NDSU are those that I expect to leave in 5-10 years, because they are always wanting to better themselves and their current University.

This is what I mean.

Harris seems like a great hire for UNI, which only will help boost up the Valley. Glad to see UNI got an AD that more than passes the eye test!