PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel At Charleston Southern: THE REMATCH

ElCid
November 29th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Well, suffice it to say that The Dogs are itching for this one. We have dropped 3 games in a row to them, and it is getting old, even if it is to an improved team. The facilities are bad, and that is being kind. We took about 3000 to CCU this week. And we can expect a lot more next Saturday. Not sure how they will handle it. Massey has CSU as a 1 point favorite right now. I need to think about this game for a bit. We have the revenge factor, CSU stuffed our run the first time around. Going to be interesting.
----
Just checked Sagarin and it has The Citadel -2. But this game has so many more variables than the computer can factor right now.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21895&stc=1

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Wow...that is horrible...xsmhx

Fordham
November 29th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Congrats THE Citadel! Awesome finish to the season you guys are having!!

FCSwatcher
November 29th, 2015, 08:33 AM
The enrollment is less than 4,000. What do you expect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bostonspider
November 29th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Richmond's enrollment is a little less than 3,000 undergrad. That is not a great excuse for that stadium..

http://bcwh.com/work/university-of-richmond-e-claiborne-robins-stadium/

knucklehead
November 29th, 2015, 08:47 AM
They do at least have turf now.....

Milktruck74
November 29th, 2015, 09:12 AM

I don't see this an an improvement. I'm old skool....Football should be played outside, in the elements, ON GRASS.....with a leather helmet (Ok, maybe that is a bit too far.) By as a player and fan, a little dirt and grass stains are part of the game!!!

REALBird
November 29th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I thought that was one of those pictures of abandoned Olympic facilities. Geez!

ElCid
November 29th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Well, we have about 2300 undergrads…….

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21896&stc=1

ElCid
November 29th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Also, for those who do not realize it…..Charleston Southern is just up I26 and only about 17 miles from The Citadel. So an away game, but the travel costs are pretty reasonable and the travel stress is pretty low.xthumbsupx

kdinva
November 29th, 2015, 09:53 AM

and lights, and a decent field house in one end zone, with decent size visitors dressing room.

I heard their cash from the Alabama game would go to permanent visitor's seats w/permanent restrooms & concessions. Maybe get capacity above 5,000?

JayJ79
November 29th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Also, for those who do not realize it…..Charleston Southern is just up I26 and only about 17 miles from The Citadel. So an away game, but the travel costs are pretty reasonable and the travel stress is pretty low.xthumbsupx

for some reason, the official NCAA milelage table lists it as only 3 miles between the two schools. I wonder how they are coming up with their number, as it is definitely closer to your 17 miles between the two campuses. (not that it makes much difference at all, other than maybe if someone was planning on walking to the game)

CSU18
November 29th, 2015, 11:03 AM
I get it, I get it. The facilities aren't great (not even good). But at the end of the day the stadium has no influence on what happens on the field.

They do have some temporary bleachers on the visitors side - supposedly enough for 1,000 more, which gets it up to a total seating capacity of 5,000+/- (watch out Big House, we're gaining on you). They're allowing fold up chairs to be brought in for those that have general admission tickets (which is some pop warner s***, but at least they're letting that happen). Depending on tickets that The Citadel requests, I think they're contemplating bringing in another set of temporary bleachers.

CID1990
November 29th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I get it, I get it. The facilities aren't great (not even good). But at the end of the day the stadium has no influence on what happens on the field.

They do have some temporary bleachers on the visitors side - supposedly enough for 1,000 more, which gets it up to a total seating capacity of 5,000+/- (watch out Big House, we're gaining on you). They're allowing fold up chairs to be brought in for those that have general admission tickets (which is some pop warner s***, but at least they're letting that happen). Depending on tickets that The Citadel requests, I think they're contemplating bringing in another set of temporary bleachers.

Word is that CSU has told us our allotment is 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSU18
November 29th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Word is that CSU has told us our allotment is 500.

That doesn't sound right to me, but if it is, probably has something to do with the fact that last time y'all were at our place, over half the tickets we allotted for The Citadel were returned.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 29th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Would it make more sense to play the game at Johnson-Hagood since, no offense to Charleston Southern, it is a better facility.

citdog
November 29th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Would it make more sense to play the game at Johnson-Hagood since, no offense to Charleston Southern, it is a better facility.

Johnson Hagood was a Confederate General and a post 'reconstruction' Governor of South Carolina. He was one person not two.

citdog
November 29th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I'll bet southern pigskin has The Citadel #4 in their SoCon poll this week.

Biff
November 29th, 2015, 02:26 PM
That doesn't sound right to me, but if it is, probably has something to do with the fact that last time y'all were at our place, over half the tickets we allotted for The Citadel were returned.

And somehow we over filled the away side and had people standing on the fence line. Next to the portajohns and a trailer of a snack stand ... Wonder why our folks didn't buy them? Nothing Charleston or Southern about that hospitality.

knucklehead
November 29th, 2015, 02:36 PM
OOO, extra bleachers. Roll out the red carpet why don't ya.

Toby
November 29th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Congrats to Citadel on the win yesterday! It was a great game on ESPN3. Your repping the SoCon and showing out!

ElCid
November 29th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Well, it may be that folks did not go through our ticket office and instead went right to your web site last year. For CCU this past week, the allotment was definitely gone and folks were also forced to go though their web site. I guess it just depends on how they got them. How many we bring this weekend may be a wild card considering the facilities situation. Dog fans will want to go, but they may hold back due to the unknowns. Or maybe not. We may bring the house. Or some will just go and tailgate, who knows. Unfortunately for me it was way easier to go on Thanksgiving weekend considering that we were in Charleston for the holiday anyway. Can't make the trip to Chucktown 2 weekends in a row. Just took us over 5 hours to get back with all the nasty traffic.

The Cats
November 29th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Good Luck to the Bulldogs, I know the Catamounts will be pulling for you to win.

Looking forward to that UTC - The Citadel rematch.

Millwoch
November 29th, 2015, 07:16 PM

I sat next to The Citadel AD yesterday and he told me around 600

NDSUtk
November 29th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I sat next to The Citadel AD yesterday and he told me around 600
The playoffs require a 600 ticket allocation to the other school. So that's accurate. Then folks are on their own to find tickets.

Smitty
November 30th, 2015, 07:12 AM
http://aptwebassets1.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/Charleston-Southern-Gridiron-RS-52T-2-Web.jpg

I couldn't find much for a new overhead photo, but the new turf looks nice at least.

Now finding a seat on that side of the stadium will be somewhat difficult.

CID1990
November 30th, 2015, 10:24 AM
http://aptwebassets1.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/Charleston-Southern-Gridiron-RS-52T-2-Web.jpg

I couldn't find much for a new overhead photo, but the new turf looks nice at least.

I like how those three bleachers are actually labeled with sections.

It's like labeling the first floor in a one story building.

smallcollegefbfan
November 30th, 2015, 10:41 AM

It is pretty much not an away game no matter where it is played. If someone on campus won't drive 17 miles from Citadel or vice versa then they aren't even a casual fan, let alone a hardcore one. LOL

CitadelGrad
November 30th, 2015, 10:44 AM
The Baptist College of Charleston deserves to have its ass handed to it after the ticket debacle. They are even ****ing over their own fans. What a mess. Even a lot of their own fans want the game moved to Johnson Hagood Stadium.

CSU18
November 30th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Those bleachers are labeled so you don't forget where you were sitting when you come back for the second half - it's so big over there and all.

I love that it's at CSU. Who cares about the bleachers - games are won and lost between the lines.

CID1990
November 30th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Even a lot of their own fans want the game moved to Johnson Hagood Stadium.

Where the heck are you hearing that?

Now, if we offered up the gate at JHS there might be a few who would go for it, given the revenue, but otherwise I don't see a plurality of CSU fans wanting to give up home field.

IMO (and I'm serious about this) they should have looked into using McKissick. It seats around 10,000 and it is at least neutral, rather than a total abandonment of the home field advantage.

CitadelGrad
November 30th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Now, if we offered up the gate at JHS there might be a few who would go for it, given the revenue, but otherwise I don't see a plurality of CSU fans wanting to give up home field.

IMO (and I'm serious about this) they should have looked into using McKissick. It seats around 10,000 and it is at least neutral, rather than a total abandonment of the home field advantage.

Twitter, Facebook and El Cid guys I know in Charleston who are hearing it from CSU friends, colleagues, etc.

Sandlapper Spike
November 30th, 2015, 12:47 PM

It's even more problematic than that, because the sightlines are not good at all. Imagine sitting in the lower half of section "E". You're separated from the field by a fence, a track, and then that blue stripe is where the players stand/sit on benches during the game. It's very hard to see the action on the field.

When we played there last year, they set up two temporary bleachers; the second one was a small 100-seater with a view partially blocked by that tool shed on the right side of the picture.

AshevilleApp2
November 30th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Four pages about the stadium. Who wins the game? I've got the Bulldogs.

walliver
November 30th, 2015, 01:01 PM
The facility situation is unfortunate. I don't think that teams should be able to purchase an advantage in the playoffs, but there also needs to be some minimum standards also.

At 3000 students, CSU is the about the same size as Furman, and larger than The Citadel, Wofford and VMI (as well as Presbyterian), and every one of those schools has at least twice the permanent seating capacity.

Back when Wofford hosted the NAIA semis and finals in 1970, the games were played at Sirrine Stadium in Greenville because our old stadium only had 8000 seats. 45 years later and NCAA Division I has essentially no standards.

At least the game will be hidden on ESPN3. Imagine a televised game with the cameras focusing on the visitors stands.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I don't see this an an improvement. I'm old skool....Football should be played outside, in the elements, ON GRASS.....with a leather helmet (Ok, maybe that is a bit too far.) By as a player and fan, a little dirt and grass stains are part of the game!!!

Amen!!!

AshevilleApp2
November 30th, 2015, 01:24 PM
The facility situation is unfortunate. I don't think that teams should be able to purchase an advantage in the playoffs, but there also needs to be some minimum standards also.

At 3000 students, CSU is the about the same size as Furman, and larger than The Citadel, Wofford and VMI (as well as Presbyterian), and every one of those schools has at least twice the permanent seating capacity.

Back when Wofford hosted the NAIA semis and finals in 1970, the games were played at Sirrine Stadium in Greenville because our old stadium only had 8000 seats. 45 years later and NCAA Division I has essentially no standards.

At least the game will be hidden on ESPN3. Imagine a televised game with the cameras focusing on the visitors stands.

I'd like to see it myself, because the game is what I have an interest in. CSU earned their right to host it.

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Four pages about the stadium. Who wins the game? I've got the Bulldogs.

So do I. Team of Destiny.

CID1990
November 30th, 2015, 02:02 PM
So do I. Team of Destiny.

Destined to end at the 2nd round if CSU stuffs the run like they did last time

walliver
November 30th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Chadwell's boasting after the earlier win has likely not been forgotten on the peninsula. The Citadel has had almost 3 months to figure out how to move the ball against CSU and I give them an edge in the game 17-16. Although I am predicting a low-scoring close game, I can easily seen either team pulling away in the 4th quarter if its offense is in sync.

citdog
November 30th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I don't think the Cadets are worried about Coach Chadwell. Have to whip the fella in front of you to win.

rokamortis
November 30th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Chadwell's boasting after the earlier win has likely not been forgotten on the peninsula. The Citadel has had almost 3 months to figure out how to move the ball against CSU and I give them an edge in the game 17-16. Although I am predicting a low-scoring close game, I can easily seen either team pulling away in the 4th quarter if its offense is in sync.

I think the broom shenanigans was pretty low class but Chadwell knows how to motivate his team.

CID1990
November 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I think the broom shenanigans was pretty low class but Chadwell knows how to motivate his team.

he was sweeping the block C with that broom on the 50 yard line with his players while we were playing our alma mater - very poor sportsmanship

It wasn't low class - it was no class. He's a troll and all his crap was engineered to elicit a response from us because they think we won't schedule them again since they won the last three. The reality is schedule math - something they don't get over there at CSU

He's a punk kid and I hope we put an end to his season this Saturday

if we do, we'll show him how to do it with a little class and humility

TypicalTribe
November 30th, 2015, 04:10 PM
If El Cid and UTC both win, it would set up the 3rd consecutive rematch for the Bulldogs. Has that ever happened before in the playoffs? Not even necessarily consecutive, but at all in a single postseason?

walliver
November 30th, 2015, 05:19 PM
El Cid played CCU in the regular season last year, but not this year.

rokamortis
November 30th, 2015, 05:21 PM
If El Cid and UTC both win, it would set up the 3rd consecutive rematch for the Bulldogs. Has that ever happened before in the playoffs? Not even necessarily consecutive, but at all in a single postseason?

Who is the 3rd rematch?

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2015, 07:05 PM
any guesses on the crowd breakdown by team? Will it feel like a home game for the Citadel?

ElCid
November 30th, 2015, 10:29 PM
The playing field issue is what it is. Here it my view of the game. Just some rambling thoughts and not in Spike's league...I always look forward to his game analysis.

CSU - 9-2 with notable wins against: The Citadel (33-20 on Sep 26), Coastal (33-25 on 31 Oct), and Liberty (31-24 on 14 Nov). No notable losses although 44-16 loss to Troy was a bit much, but it was obviously an away game and FBS. No shame in losing 56-6 against Alabama. Other wins that were not too tough include N Greenville and ETSU.

The Citadel 9-3 with notable wins against: WCU (28-10 on 12 Sep), Samford, arguably (44-25 on 17 Oct); South Carolina (23-22 on 21 Nov), and Coastal (41-38 on 28 Nov). Notable losses include CSU (33-20 on 26 Sep) and UTC (31-23 on 14 Nov). The loss to Ga So 48-13 on 19 Sep appeared a bit much at the time, but they have proven to be pretty good this year. Other wins than were not too tough include Davidson.

Overall, The Citadel D is holding opponents to 369 yds a game (157 Rush and 212 passing). Chas So D is only allowing an impressive 267 yds a game (110 rushing [#12 FCS] and 157 passing). The Citadel O is racking up 434 yards a game (359 rushing [#2 FCS] and 75 passing). Chas So is gaining 372 yds a game (217 rushing and 155 passing).

The one common game to look at is obviously the previous matchup between these two back in September. The Dogs had dropped the 2 previous to Chas So: 32-29 in 2013 and 20-18 in 2014. The Dogs were looking to bounce back this year and it looked like they would win, taking a 17-6 score into the half. But Charleston Southern outscored the Dogs 27-3 in the second half. The Dogs only had 156 yards in the first half and benefited from a late pick 6. From a psychological perspective, I almost wished they hadn't snagged that pick because it looked like the Dogs pretty much thought they had it in the bag at that point. They came out flatter after the half than they were in the 1st half. Charleston Southern scored quick to open the 2nd half. And then the teams traded FGs. Chas So. then put it away after they capitalized on some miscues by the Dogs on both sides of the ball.

For turnovers the Dogs fumbled it away twice, once in the 2nd Qtr and once in the fourth during a critical drive. The Dogs also tossed one late INT after it was decided. The Dogs only had one three and out, in the 1st Qtr, but they had at least 4 other short drives during the game due to either to turnovers or a stout Chas So D. As a result, Chas So racked up 33 minutes in TOP (they are 4th in FCS for TOP with 34 a game). In the second half, the Dogs only managed to get another 134 yards with only 15 yards rushing! Chas So Defense was on their game for sure regardless of the turnovers. Penalties also plagued the Dogs as they had 8-80 yards. But as I recall, they were at the most inopportune times and gave life to at least 3 Chas So drives. The 181 yards rushing was the lowest by the Dogs all year, including the USC, Ga So. and UTC games. Even Wofford and Ga So allowed more rushing yards (and you would think they both know how to defend the TO). I think the fact that our passing game is minimal allowed CSU to simple play the run every time and took their chances on their pass defense. On Defense the Dogs allowed 306 on the ground including a 73 yard scamper and 188 in the air. That rivals the defensive stats from the other 2 losses by The Citadel to Ga So and UTC. Definitely not a good showing. I hate to say it, because it would have been really nice to have won this one, but in hindsight, I think this loss lit a fire under the Dogs and it really helped them go on their tear through the SOCON. It was by far the sloppiest game we played all year.

That said, this is not the same Bulldog team that played Charleston Southern in Sept. The Dogs have improved greatly. The penalties and turnovers are under control. The rushing game is well oiled and even though we have not improved greatly in the passing game, it is there occasionally...we just haven't needed it very much. The Dogs D can be stout and although there are questions regarding the secondary, I think they will do a better job this week than last week, especially with Copper back starting at CB.

The only common opponent the teams faced was Coastal. In the CCU/CSU game CCU put up 426 yards and CSU 456 yards in a CSU 33-25 victory. CSU had a more balanced rush/pass attack against Coastal than The Citadel did (CSU 45 rush/21 pass vs. The Citadel 78 rush/ 6 pass). There were no turnovers in the CCU/CSU game and penalties were about even. The Citadel/CCU game was a track meet with 556 yards for the Dogs and 577 for CCU. It was a 41-38 W for the Dogs. It was the most yards given up by the Dogs D all year and the second most points (Ga So was the most at 48). The Dogs turned it over once on a fumble, CCU had 2 INT and gave up 2 fumbles, and the last fumble was obviously a back breaker for CCU. Penalties were about even between CCU and The Citadel and not a factor. The other factor in the game was special teams. The Dogs punted once, CCU twice and not very well. The FGs were obviously huge as The Citadel kicker had a career long kick for 49 yards and a game winning 43 yards kick.

I am not sure what to make out of one stat that kind of stuck out between the CSU/CCU and The Citadel/CCU games. I just thought it interesting. And that is that the Coastal Defense held CSU to 4.5 yards a rush with a credible CSU passing threat...they are more balanced than the Dogs on O. But the Dogs had 6.7 yards a carry against Coastal with a much less credible passing threat. So considering that the Dogs really did not pose a consistent threat through the air, Coastal still could not stop us even when they knew we were going to run 90+% of the time. Not sure why we did not do as well against CSU earlier. We are either that much better now or Coastal was that bad at defending the option. I think it is the former instead of the latter, but may be a little of both. Now certainly CSU has a better D against the rush than Coastal this year (3.3 a carry vs 4.6 for Coastal), but the Coastal D still held opponents to a somewhat respectable 4.2 per carry before the game against The Citadel. Yes, I think we are a different team than we were back in Sept when CSU simply stacked the box against us. The Citadel averaged a meager 4.3 yards a carry against CSU so it apparently worked for them...then. But I am not sure it will matter this time.

Another stat about CSU's run D is that they held Kennesaw State's Option to just 113 yards in early November. K St has racked up 293 a game on the ground this season, albeit against a fairly week SOS. But it was one more time for CSU to see and operate against a TO team. It will be a challenge facing CSUs Defense again to be sure.

Massey has it as Chas So by one point, 28-27. Sagarin has the Dogs by 2. But I think the Dogs are peaking again at the right time and they will win this one, in what I believe will be only the 3rd game The Citadel has ever played in the month of December. There is also the revenge factor and I think the Dogs have it bad. I am looking forward to see what game plan we use on O to throw off Chas Southern's D. There is no doubt that CSU is well coached and they will be prepared. But we have adjusted fairly well in many games, shifting to what works even while continuing to pound the B-Back. We just never did that effectively in the earlier CSU game. I am confident we will find an angle that finds a weakness. I have a lot more faith in The Citadel coaches now than I did earlier in the season. And of course The Citadel O line has been absolutely gang busters all season. It will obviously hinge on turnovers and special teams play. If the Dogs do not turn it over and limit returns I think this will be easy. I just hope it does not come down to a long FG again.

And contrary to what the CSU coach says, we do have some speed at the skill positions. He needs to ask USC or Coastal if they think Cam Jackson or Vinny Miller are fast. And while Allen and Renew may not be quite as fast, Allen is more thoughtful and both he and Renew can be down right abusive to opposing defenses.

The Citadel - 31
Charleston Southern - 21

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2015, 01:01 AM
Since CSU's Head Coach said this...

"We win more games here [referring to Johnson Hagood Stadium] than they do, so it’s like a home game for us.”

...it would make sense that he should have to put his team where his mouth is and play a "home game"...at JHS!

ming01
December 1st, 2015, 01:47 AM
CSU in a close one. Their defense is better than CCUs

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2015, 08:25 AM
Well, suffice it to say that The Dogs are itching for this one. We have dropped 3 games in a row to them, and it is getting old, even if it is to an improved team. The facilities are bad, and that is being kind. We took about 3000 to CCU this week. And we can expect a lot more next Saturday. Not sure how they will handle it. Massey has CSU as a 1 point favorite right now. I need to think about this game for a bit. We have the revenge factor, CSU stuffed our run the first time around. Going to be interesting.
----
Just checked Sagarin and it has The Citadel -2. But this game has so many more variables than the computer can factor right now.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21895&stc=1

I hear they are putting up lawn chairs on the track. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2015, 08:30 AM

The field looks fine but serious question. If you had more seating do you honestly believe more folks would show up to games and if so why not add additional permanent seating?

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2015, 08:35 AM

Again another honest question no smack intended. With the limited seating to begin with and the fact that 600 or more are the opposing teams fans how much of a home field advantage do you really believe you have. I mean I could see it being an advantage not having to travel but given the options that are less than an hours drive from what it sounds like just seems a shame to not have more folks at a playoff game. I could see home field on the field advantage if you had more seating filled with your fans in the seats but the overhead view I saw with more than 50% of the field not having any seating just seems like it would be hard to get any crowd advantage with that? I have never been there so I don't know what the area would/could support just throwing it out there for more info. Thanks.

walliver
December 1st, 2015, 08:35 AM
I hear they are putting up lawn chairs on the track. xthumbsupx

... and at half-time, they are going to circle the chairs, light bonfires, and sing "Kumbaya"

walliver
December 1st, 2015, 08:45 AM
Again another honest question no smack intended. With the limited seating to begin with and the fact that 600 or more are the opposing teams fans how much of a home field advantage do you really believe you have. I mean I could see it being an advantage not having to travel but given the options that are less than an hours drive from what it sounds like just seems a shame to not have more folks at a playoff game. I could see home field on the field advantage if you had more seating filled with your fans in the seats but the overhead view I saw with more than 50% of the field not having any seating just seems like it would be hard to get any crowd advantage with that? I have never been there so I don't know what the area would/could support just throwing it out there for more info. Thanks.

I think the idea is for the players to play on campus, use their own locker room, and play on a familiar field. It also gives the school a chance to host a game and have its logo prominently seen on the internet.

There would not be a home-field advantage in the ways you envision.

CSU has a lot of challenges. Much of their endowment was embezzled away several years ago. They need a new arena, but can't find anyone to buy naming rights. As a relatively young school, they don't have a lot of old wealthy alumni.

Southern Bison
December 1st, 2015, 10:55 AM
What's even worse...signs all over the entrances to parking areas starting "no alcohol allowed"!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CSU18
December 1st, 2015, 11:50 AM
walliver is spot on. The school is relatively new as it was founded in 1964. The football program started in 1990 I believe. With the endowment disappearing and the fact that there aren't a lot of wealthy alums (especially football alums) funding has been difficult. They've battled with the expansion as it makes no sense to expand if the attendance doesn't continue to grow. They're trying to do little projects at a time with a vision of being able to continually improve. The NCAA is on record stating that facilities have nothing to do with selection or seeding. As for home field advantage, I expect there will be more CSU fans than Citade fans. Like it or not, the game is being played at CSU, and I go back to what I've been saying all along - the stadium isn't what everyone should worry about, it's about the two teams that line up and play.

Sandlapper Spike
December 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM
From the local paper this morning:

A CSU spokesman said Monday there are about 2,000 seats on the visitors’ side, and that an “unlimited” number of SRO tickets will be sold. Citadel fans who went on-line at 10 a.m. Monday when tickets went on sale found only SRO tickets available.

There currently aren't 2,000 seats on the visitors' side, so I assume he is talking about temporary bleachers.

The bigger issue, one that should be obvious, is the inherent risk in selling an "unlimited" number of SRO tickets for a game played at a facility that can't handle many people in the best of circumstances (and that is perennially understaffed).

You could have more than 12,000 people at this game, with more than 2/3 of them milling about in the "SRO" category. We're not talking about that much space, either. This could be a complete (and potentially dangerous) debacle.

SENOREIDA
December 1st, 2015, 03:19 PM
walliver is spot on. The school is relatively new as it was founded in 1964. The football program started in 1990 I believe. With the endowment disappearing and the fact that there aren't a lot of wealthy alums (especially football alums) funding has been difficult. They've battled with the expansion as it makes no sense to expand if the attendance doesn't continue to grow. They're trying to do little projects at a time with a vision of being able to continually improve. The NCAA is on record stating that facilities have nothing to do with selection or seeding. As for home field advantage, I expect there will be more CSU fans than Citade fans. Like it or not, the game is being played at CSU, and I go back to what I've been saying all along - the stadium isn't what everyone should worry about, it's about the two teams that line up and play.
Yet, Coastal still has better facilities. Age has nothing to do with it.

CSU18
December 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM
Yet, Coastal still has better facilities. Age has nothing to do with it.

Very valid point, but you also have to consider the enrollment at CCU is more than double that of CSU. They're putting out graduates at a much higher rate, which makes the pool of Alumni that can afford to throw money at the program bigger than that of CSU.

kdinva
December 1st, 2015, 04:30 PM
walliver is spot on. The school is relatively new as it was founded in 1964. .

Liberty started in 1970.....

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2015, 05:17 PM
Liberty started in 1970.....

...and their Football Coaches told me in their Recruiting 'pitch' in 1977 that within 3 years they would be competing with Notre Dame and Southern Cal for National Championships...so, they aren't exactly on schedule with their plans, I'd have to say.

CitadelGrad
December 1st, 2015, 05:23 PM
...and their Football Coaches told me in their Recruiting 'pitch' in 1977 that within 3 years they would be competing with Notre Dame and Southern Cal for National Championships...so, they aren't exactly on schedule with their plans, I'd have to say.

I guess they were counting on divine intervention.

ElCid
December 1st, 2015, 07:52 PM
From the local paper this morning:

There currently aren't 2,000 seats on the visitors' side, so I assume he is talking about temporary bleachers.

The bigger issue, one that should be obvious, is the inherent risk in selling an "unlimited" number of SRO tickets for a game played at a facility that can't handle many people in the best of circumstances (and that is perennially understaffed).

You could have more than 12,000 people at this game, with more than 2/3 of them milling about in the "SRO" category. We're not talking about that much space, either. This could be a complete (and potentially dangerous) debacle.

I was wondering about this also. Sure hope not and it probably will not be, but it may keep some away.

Milktruck74
December 1st, 2015, 08:14 PM

since then Notre Dame won one in 88 and USC in 04....so they are only ONE away!!!!

chattanoogamocs
December 1st, 2015, 10:14 PM
Let's hope the Mocs and Bulldogs both make the most of their 2nd chances...

See ya in 11 days back in Chattanooga. ;)

Stonewall D
December 1st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Nm

Stonewall D
December 1st, 2015, 10:29 PM

Who are the two guys in the middle? This looks like a scene from Caddyshack. Are they looking for gophers? Or maybe they hit a ball into the rough and just playing through.

chattanoogamocs
December 1st, 2015, 11:11 PM
Who are the two guys in the middle? This looks like a scene from Caddyshack. Are they looking for gophers? Or maybe they hit a ball into the rough and just playing through.

I thought it was these two guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_f8l2RRKko

ElCid
December 2nd, 2015, 05:15 AM
I thought it was these two guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_f8l2RRKko

xlolxxlolx

DirtyDukes
December 2nd, 2015, 09:26 AM
Richmond's enrollment is a little less than 3,000 undergrad. That is not a great excuse for that stadium..

http://bcwh.com/work/university-of-richmond-e-claiborne-robins-stadium/

Bahahahaahaha, a Richmond fan saying their stadium is good? Hilarious.

Toby
December 2nd, 2015, 03:46 PM
The Citadel 9-3 with notable wins against: WCU (28-10 on 12 Sep), Samford, arguably (44-25 on 17 Oct); South Carolina (23-22 on 21 Nov), and Coastal (41-38 on 28 Nov).

Citadel also beat the team that beat UTC. So there is that......

CSU18
December 3rd, 2015, 12:08 PM
This thread died quickly. Expected to hear more predictions out of The Citadel folks. Any of you going to be at the game?

ElCid
December 3rd, 2015, 05:05 PM
This thread died quickly. Expected to hear more predictions out of The Citadel folks. Any of you going to be at the game?

I think most folks think it will be close. I would really love to be there, but too many things to do this time of year for a trip to Charleston that takes the whole weekend. Plus it would be a trip where I could just stand, and out of view of the field.:D I will have a great view in my easy chair, maybe in front of a fire if it is cold enough. If I was in town, absolutely.

CID1990
December 4th, 2015, 12:44 AM
The Citadel 24
BCLA 31

CSU18
December 4th, 2015, 08:25 AM
The Citadel 24
BCLA 31

I'm assuming the LA is for Ladson??? Lol. I don't feel as confident about this one as I have some of the past high profile games. Feel like we could be a little rusty after having essentially 2 bye weeks (since we didn't really play anyone against Bama). Being rested could be a good thing though. Same situation for The Citadel - are they peaking or are they running out of gas? I got CSU with an OT win.

CID1990
December 4th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I'm assuming the LA is for Ladson??? Lol. I don't feel as confident about this one as I have some of the past high profile games. Feel like we could be a little rusty after having essentially 2 bye weeks (since we didn't really play anyone against Bama). Being rested could be a good thing though. Same situation for The Citadel - are they peaking or are they running out of gas? I got CSU with an OT win.

Baptist College Ladson, Approximately

Mocs123
December 4th, 2015, 09:10 AM
This Moc fan is pulling for a victory for The Citadel. I think you win a close one.

Here's to hoping we meet again next week.

Sandlapper Spike
December 4th, 2015, 09:36 AM
7,000 tickets sold, but the home side is not sold out yet...

rokamortis
December 4th, 2015, 10:13 AM
7,000 tickets sold, but the home side is not sold out yet...

Are they trying to hold the home side for the CSU fans or are they open for The Citadel too?

Libertine
December 4th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Are they trying to hold the home side for the CSU fans or are they open for The Citadel too?

In the end, it won't matter. The cadets could just form a phalanx and start marching toward wherever they want to sit. CSU fans would be too busy waiting in line for the single bathroom to either notice or resist.

See the bleachers; take the bleachers!

kdinva
December 4th, 2015, 03:19 PM
In the end, it won't matter. The cadets could just form a phalanx and start marching toward wherever they want to sit. CSU fans would be too busy waiting in line for the single bathroom to either notice or resist.

xnodx xthumbsupx

Sandlapper Spike
December 4th, 2015, 06:39 PM

They were trying to hold the home side for CSU fans, but the code got out last night and there was still "high availability" in one of the sections (and some availability in another). There will undoubtedly be some Bulldog fans on the home side tomorrow.

Grizzlies82
December 4th, 2015, 06:44 PM

This is also how I see the game playing out on the field.
This will be The Citadel's march to the sea (bad metaphor there for southern fans?). The Citadel advances on Saturday.

CID1990
December 5th, 2015, 02:14 AM
This is also how I see the game playing out on the field.
This will be The Citadel's march to the sea (bad metaphor there for southern fans?). The Citadel advances on Saturday.

Actually from Charleston its more like a march to Summerville.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2015, 02:25 AM

Yeah - that's kinda messed up in a couple of directions. Citdog may suffer a case of the vapors just reading it!

chattownmocs
December 5th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Awesome looking atmosphere.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 12:03 PM
This game is at the wrong stadium......yikes. xlolx

chattownmocs
December 5th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Wow. Csu defenders just watching the citadel reciever fihht for extra yards.

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:15 PM
If CSU had a quarterback they'd have 200 yards passing already - guys wide open all over the field - and his passes are nowhere even near these wide open receivers

citdog
December 5th, 2015, 12:21 PM
3-0 Cadets

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:23 PM
The Cadets look balanced today - that will work against CSU
The ability to pass keeps those safeties back

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM
CSU's Quarterback is HILARIOUSLY awful

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CSU complete's their fist pass of the day...

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Woof......

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:30 PM
pretty much back to back turnovers

grizband
December 5th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Citadel QB was hit while throwing, CSU returns in the interception to the 30.

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 12:31 PM
This game may be decided at the L O S......

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I can see why CSU's QB is nervous about passing... he's completed one pass - and it was to the Citadel Free Safety

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Hmmm.... okay

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Yeah........did he stay inbounds on that recovery?

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Yeah........did he stay inbounds on that recovery?

No he did not but whatever

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 12:49 PM
CSU QB benched/hurt.....backup hurt on first play. Uh oh.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2015, 12:54 PM
The Citadel looks like the better team but a long way to go yet

Southern Bison
December 5th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I'm liking The Citadel more & more as I watch this game. Bulldog D is handling the Buc attack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 12:56 PM
This game is tough to watch.

citdog
December 5th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Sloppy. Gotta clean it up!

Schism55
December 5th, 2015, 01:02 PM
CSU Punter yikes.

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 01:20 PM
with a buck twenty on the clock at the 30 you call your last time out..?
Seriously ???

- - - Updated - - -

ouch..!!! 32 right up the gut

SENOREIDA
December 5th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Didn't expect CSU to be up 14-3 at half

CID1990
December 5th, 2015, 01:30 PM
4 turnovers have led to 14 points for CSU- their D is stopping us again.

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Didn't expect CSU to be up 14-3 at half

me neither....

AshevilleApp2
December 5th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Need a stop in the first series 'dogs.

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 01:48 PM
got it, chuck punts it away.....

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 01:50 PM
....followed by fumble #5 for the Dogs......

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Well this could really kill my parlay real quick...

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:07 PM
ElCid defense doing fine in 2nd half.....

Cleets
December 5th, 2015, 02:14 PM
These two teams offer no surprises to each other - what a blood bath - it's like a boxing match in a phone booth

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM
cid settles for FG, 14-6; 12:20 to go.....

AshevilleApp2
December 5th, 2015, 02:21 PM
cid settles for FG, 14-6; 12:20 to go.....

One possession down though!

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:34 PM
need to drive 94 yards to tie, six minutes to go.....

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM
good targeting call, elcid inside CSU's 40

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:51 PM
failed 4th down, by 5 inches, 2:30 to go, CSU ball, two time outs for elcid.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Score?

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM
CSU 14-6, under 2 minutes. CSU ball

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 03:02 PM
CSU makes it 4 straight over the 'dogs, 14-6..... xsmhx

Smitty
December 5th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I wish we played this Citadel...

ElCid
December 5th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I think the Dogs just ran out of gas this week. Too many turn overs, too many penalties. Add that to a good CSU D and it was a recipe for defeat. 4 road games were a bit too much apparently. They looked very slow today. The D did very good for the most part. 2 plays got by and we paid for it. Other than that we stopped them fairly well.

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I wish we played this Citadel...

me, too........

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 03:16 PM
OK, Charleston Southern, time to beat the bushes and go get some corporate $$$$ and give your FB squad a facility they deserve......one with at least 8,000 PERMANENT seats, more parking, concessions, restrooms, etc......at least 2500 of those seats should be on the "visitors" side.....

ElCid
December 5th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I had previously said that the first game against CSU was the sloppiest all year. I will now correct that to saying this one was. 5 turnovers in the 1st half. UHHHHG! We are just lucky it was not 34-6. It was a good run this year though. Hope UTC can pull it out.

BullDog85
December 5th, 2015, 03:21 PM
We shot the pooch today. To many unforced turnovers and too many offensive penalties. CSU deserved the win. The future looks bright!

ElCid
December 5th, 2015, 03:44 PM
The sad part is that we won almost every stat except 2…the turnovers and the score. Glad we are so young but I hope the loses on the O-line do not hurt too bad next year. We have some serious losses there.

citdog
December 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
GREAT season for the Cadets! Like a General once said "We shall return!"

CSU18
December 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Good game El Cid, and great season. Hate this matchup can't happen in the near future.

CID1990
December 5th, 2015, 05:18 PM
CSU brings out the sloppy in us, apparently.

Both teams played great defense for the most part. CSU capitalized on our mistakes and I figured whoever did that would win this game.

Good luck against JSU.

BullDog85
December 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM
The sad part is that we won almost every stat except 2…the turnovers and the score. Glad we are so young but I hope the loses on the O-line do not hurt too bad next year. We have some serious losses there.I think our O-line will be fine. Only loosing 2 starters..Frye and Mabry. Mabry's backup is ready to go. Frye will be hard to replace, but we have some tough studs behind him. I think Allen could be battling for his QB slot next season. Great problems to have.