PDA

View Full Version : SNW: Playing for the history books

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Matt's championship game preview...with his prediction of 31-20 in favor of the Mountaineers...also picks Alabama A&M over Ark-Pine Bluff 27-20...

Extra Point - Championship: Playing for the history books

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - When Appalachian State and Massachusetts take the field for the NCAA Division I Football Championship title game on Friday, they will both try to join exclusive company as the 29th champion in the I-AA/FCS ranks and enter even more elite ranks with a 14-1 record in the championship season.

That alone would be a great achievement for both teams, but the bigger picture shows even more at stake for two squads that will compete to become the sixth program to win multiple titles while moving up the ladder in the pecking order of the top programs of all-time.

A year ago at this time, Appalachian State was just trying to get out of the discussion for the best I-AA/FCS program never to win a championship. The Mountaineers stood alongside programs like McNeese State and Northern Iowa as perennial playoff contenders that had not broken through to win the big one. They had their chance against the Panthers, and came through with the elusive national championship to become the 17th program to win a championship in the sub-classification. The title gave Appalachian State a place alongside Furman, Delaware and others as a consistent playoff participant with one title to their name.

While their current position is desirable for most programs, the Mountaineers have the opportunity to move into the elite category with a victory on Friday. Only five teams have multiple national titles to their name. One of them is Marshall, which left for I-A a decade ago. Eastern Kentucky has two titles as well, but the Colonels haven’t won one since 1982 and have not even appeared in the playoffs in this century.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4053610.htm