PDA

View Full Version : ICON's Everson Walls to donate kidney

MACHIAVELLI
December 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
By Howard Bryant and Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, December 12, 2006; Page E05

Washington Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs said yesterday that his ailing father, Ron, has found a match for a kidney transplant, and it happens to be an old friend.

Everson Walls, the former Dallas Cowboys cornerback who was Ron Springs's teammate with the Cowboys from 1981 to '84, agreed to donate a kidney, and surgery could take place, according to Shawn Springs, "any day now."

Ron Springs, 50, has diabetes and has been undergoing dialysis as he tries to get healthy enough for a transplant.

Ron Springs, who lives in Dallas, played eight years in the NFL. He was the backfield mate of Hall of Fame running back Tony Dorsett in Dallas for six seasons, ending his career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His best season was in 1983, when he rushed for 541 yards and seven touchdowns and caught 73 passes for 589 yards and a touchdown.

Shawn Springs offered to end his career and donate a kidney, but his father would not allow any of his children to be tested. Last year, another relative initially appeared to be a match but was not. A battery of tests is scheduled for today and surgery could be completed shortly thereafter.

"Everson Walls is my dad's best friend and somebody who taught me a lot about being a cornerback in the NFL," Springs said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121101213.html

Appstate29
December 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
By Howard Bryant and Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, December 12, 2006; Page E05

Washington Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs said yesterday that his ailing father, Ron, has found a match for a kidney transplant, and it happens to be an old friend.

Everson Walls, the former Dallas Cowboys cornerback who was Ron Springs's teammate with the Cowboys from 1981 to '84, agreed to donate a kidney, and surgery could take place, according to Shawn Springs, "any day now."

Ron Springs, 50, has diabetes and has been undergoing dialysis as he tries to get healthy enough for a transplant.

Ron Springs, who lives in Dallas, played eight years in the NFL. He was the backfield mate of Hall of Fame running back Tony Dorsett in Dallas for six seasons, ending his career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His best season was in 1983, when he rushed for 541 yards and seven touchdowns and caught 73 passes for 589 yards and a touchdown.

Shawn Springs offered to end his career and donate a kidney, but his father would not allow any of his children to be tested. Last year, another relative initially appeared to be a match but was not. A battery of tests is scheduled for today and surgery could be completed shortly thereafter.

"Everson Walls is my dad's best friend and somebody who taught me a lot about being a cornerback in the NFL," Springs said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121101213.html

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: 3 cheers for this guy, what a standup thing to do for a friend!

3rd Coast Tiger
December 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Way to go SWAC! :thumbsup:

dbackjon
December 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM
That is awesome!!

OhioHen
December 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM
This is the type of positive story we all need to see.

MACHIAVELLI
December 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Fan speak out.....

That is a huge statement and legacy for a man to leave! What he is doing now is bigger than anything any person could ever do on the football field.

I had the honor of meeting Everson for the first time this past year, after following his career and from the impression I got of him as a person this act does not surprise me!

It really takes a special person to truly put others before self, especially in this way!

No bigger sacrifice than giving up a part of yourself (except sacrificing your life) for someone other than yourself.

Where are the headlines on ESPN about this story?

Just one of the more reason why Everson Walls is my favorite Cowboy of all time.

Too bad him and Jimmy didnt see eye to eye because he couldnt have retired as a Cowboys, but he eventually won a Ring with the Giants, so it worked out for him.

Jerry put Everson Walls in the Ring of Honor NOW!!!

- Mike G.

Wow. What a heartwarming story. I knew Ron Springs had been ailing. In fact, Tony Dorsett was raising funds for him last year. I always thought of Everson Walls as a courageous man. This just cements that belief. God bless everyone involved in this process.

Now that's a Teammate.

That's a real friend.Best of luck.

Tribe4SF
December 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Ron Springs grew up in Williamsburg, so from all of us who know Ron, a huge thank you and God bless to Everson Walls.:hurray: :bow: :hurray: :bow:

slostang
December 13th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I met Everson Walls back when the Cowboys had their training camp in Thousand Oaks. I only got to talk to him for a short time, but he left a huge impression. He was great and went to the top of my list of favorite NFL players. This put him even more distance between the next guy on the list. What an awesome thing to do.

MACHIAVELLI
December 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Walls is one of the most prolific and decorated defensive backs to ever play the game. He is the only three-time season leader in interceptions. He also led his Cowboys in interceptions a franchise record five times, and was 10th all-time on the career interceptions list when he retired, with 57. In addition, he shares the career Pro Bowl interceptions record with four, and shares the single-game Pro Bowl record for interceptions with two. With experience under Eddie Robinson, Tom Landry, Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, Walls has had the privilege of working for some of the all-time greatest coaches.

Despite his accolades, Walls remains an outsider to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Most recently he was a preliminary nominee for the Class of 2006, but he has yet to crack the list of semi-finalists. For years, Walls has stated that he believes his untimely position during Dwight Clark's miracle catch tarnished his otherwise outstanding pro career. This did not impact his collegiate stature, as on December 6, 2006, it was announced that Walls would be inducted into the Southwestern Athletic Conference Hall of Fame. [1] On Tuesday, December 12, 2006, it was announced that Walls will donate a kidney to former Cowboys teammate Ron Springs, who has diabetes.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everson_Walls