PDA

View Full Version : Best FCS Win of the Year?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2015, 08:11 AM
The purpose of this thread isn't to toot Richmond's horn although it may end up coming across that way.

What was the best win for an FCS team this year? I have to think Richmond winning at JMU when the Dukes were #1 and hosting College Gameday has to be way up there.

The Citadel over USC?

Portland State over Wazzu?

If these games are indicative of a team's ability when they are playing their best ball, they have to be a worthwhile benchmark as we move through the bracket.

Smitty
November 24th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Honestly I think you would need two categories to do this justice.

FCS vs FCS
FCS vs FBS

I think just from the SoCon alone you have UTC over Citadel, Citadel over USC. Other noteworthy games...

Mercer over UTC
WCU over Samford (just as my homer pick)
Furman over UCF

UNH72Plus
November 24th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I think it has to be The Citadel over South Carolina. That almost rivals the App State/Michigan game. In FCS vs FCS games I have to go with UNH over Richmond (obviously). It resulted in a total turn around for their season and helped them maintained their string of consecutive playoff appearances.

UNIFanSince1983
November 24th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I think it has to be The Citadel over South Carolina. That almost rivals the App State/Michigan game. In FCS vs FCS games I have to go with UNH over Richmond (obviously). It resulted in a total turn around for their season and helped them maintained their string of consecutive playoff appearances.

How would that rival App vs Michigan? Michigan was ranked #5 at the time and went to a New Year's Day bowl game. South Carolina was 3-7.

PSU over what turned out to be a very good Wazzu team is the best FCS over FBS win this year.

As far as FCS on FCS crime I think SDSU over ISUr is a pretty big win. The only FCS team to beat ISUr this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Michigan won the Citrus Bowl over Florida and finished ranked in 2007. South Carolina is 3-8 and a complete dumpster fire. Those wins aren't even close.

The best FBS win is EASILY Portland State over Washington State. Wazzu has a great shot to finish the regular season with 9 wins and ranked in all the major polls....

Best FCS vs FCS was Montana over NDSU

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM

It would have if South Carolina wasn't one of the worst P5 teams in FBS right now. When App State played Michigan, Michigan was #5 and went on to 9-4 and finished top 20 in the polls. I'm not taking away from El Cid, they did what we couldn't this season but saying its as big as App State's win is unfair to App State. Even if we had pulled it off against Auburn I'd still give the nod to App State. El Cid's win is huge, but it's more akin to our Ole Miss win rather than App State's Michigan upset in my opinion.

My FCS vs FBS upset bid this year would go to PSU over Wazzou

JMU_71
November 24th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Hey, let's not forget JMU's win over Va Tech in 2010. The Hokies went on to go undefeated in the ACC and lose to Stanford in the Orange Bowl. I think they ended the season ranked 16th. When JMU beat them, they were 13th. The Citadel's win was big, no doubt, but it definitely was not as big as App St's win over Michigan, JMU's over Va Tech or Portland State's over Wazzou.

Grizalltheway
November 24th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Michigan won the Citrus Bowl over Florida and finished ranked in 2007. South Carolina is 3-8 and a complete dumpster fire. Those wins aren't even close.

The best FBS win is EASILY Portland State over Washington State. Wazzu has a great shot to finish the regular season with 9 wins and ranked in all the major polls....

I would like to agree of course, but somehow their loss to USD kind of takes the luster off of it a bit.

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2015, 09:20 AM
The Citadel. Period.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2015, 09:33 AM
I would like to agree of course, but somehow their loss to USD kind of takes the luster off of it a bit.

Sorry.xembarrassedx

Hambone
November 24th, 2015, 09:34 AM
I actually think USD over NDSU is one of the biggest wins of FCS over FCS. USD was looking like it they would have another poor MVFC year and that victory gave them a huge shot in the arm and they played a lot better in conference (save for ISUr at the end of the year).

JMUNJ08
November 24th, 2015, 09:41 AM
C'MON! Record setters! Portland St. over North Texas - Just for the sheer hilarity of the final score has to be the best. Though Wazzu St. is the best FBS team anybody has beaten this year by far.

FCS? Mercer over Chatty - Really, who had that one besides the Bears players themselves (which may still be a stretch)?

UNDBIZ
November 24th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Best FCS over FCS? NDSU's complete domination of WIU

Grizalltheway
November 24th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Sorry.xembarrassedx

xlolx

No worries, I'll still always remember it fondly.

mvemjsunpx
November 24th, 2015, 09:52 AM
The Citadel. Period.

Come on. PSU beat Wazzu and now the Cougs are in the top-25. The Citadel beating 3-7 South Carolina was somewhat surprising, but nowhere near a shock; I almost picked that upset myself.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 09:55 AM
If we are talking about the most dominating win (FCS) I would like to nominate our complete annihilation of EKU's hopes and dreams.

mamberso
November 24th, 2015, 10:14 AM
FBS: Portland State over Washington State
FCS: Montana over North Dakota State

McNeese75
November 24th, 2015, 10:44 AM
FBS: Portland State over Washington State
FCS: Montana over North Dakota State

xthumbsupx

centennial
November 24th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Best FCS over FCS? NDSU's complete domination of WIU

We spanked a playoff team like they were in the MEAC. That was the best FCS vs FCS win considering we were probably only 7-9 point favorites.

Scooter
November 24th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Harvard beating Dartmouth. By the SRS it was a huge win. :-)

UNHWildcat18
November 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM
PSU VS Cougars hands down

tomq04
November 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM
If we are talking about the most dominating win (FCS) I would like to nominate our complete annihilation of EKU's hopes and dreams.

What about PSU's complete annihilation of North Texas's coach's hopes and dreams. Sorry for the potential misuse of my apostrophes in the prior sentence.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 11:12 AM
What about PSU's complete annihilation of North Texas's coach's hopes and dreams. Sorry for the potential misuse of my apostrophes in the prior sentence.

Nominate them both lol

Catsfan90
November 24th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Definitely Montana over NDSU. That game was better than even any FBS game I've seen.

Bison56
November 24th, 2015, 11:21 AM

Really???xdrunkyx

tomq04
November 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Really???xdrunkyx

I'd smoke whatever he's having.

herd13
November 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM

I hope you're not serious... This is nothing close to App St beating Michigan... Credit to Citadel for winning that game but Michigan was like #5. South Carolina is probably more like #65 this year.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2015, 12:31 PM
North Dakota over Drake (the only team to beat Dayton)

FordhamFan
November 24th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I don't know if anybody has noticed but the SEC is like the third or fourth best FBS conference this year.

The Citadel's win over SC is awesome but it doesn't hold a candle to PSU over Wazzu this year.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I don't know if anybody has noticed but the SEC is like the third or fourth best FBS conference this year.

Citadel's win over SC is awesome but it doesn't hold a candle to PSU over Wazzu this year.

It really is. Aside from Bama the SEC sucks this year. The B1G is killing it.

North Dakota over Drake (the only team to beat Dayton)

Didn't you know, any win by UND is the biggest win in the FCS. That's why it's so crap they got screwed out of the playoffs!

Missingnumber7
November 24th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I know that it isn't game of the year material, but I wonder if USD over NDSU is a program changer for USD.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Citadel's win over SC is awesome but it doesn't hold a candle to PSU over Wazzu this year.

I agree.

deez_na
November 24th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't SD over NDSU be a better FCS win than for Montana?

UNIFanSince1983
November 24th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't SD over NDSU be a better FCS win than for Montana?

I don't think you can consider an FCS over FCS game when the team has 2 FCS losses. I mean since both USD and Montana beat NDSU wouldn't you consider those similar. I mean USD is slightly better because it was on the road, but I feel like SDSU over ISUr is a better win than either of those because ISUr didn't lose to anyone else in FCS.

deez_na
November 24th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I don't think you can consider an FCS over FCS game when the team has 2 FCS losses. I mean since both USD and Montana beat NDSU wouldn't you consider those similar. I mean USD is slightly better because it was on the road, but I feel like SDSU over ISUr is a better win than either of those because ISUr didn't lose to anyone else in FCS.

My point was which team was more likely to beat NDSU in anyones eyes? I think we know that answer.

AmsterBison
November 24th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I know that it isn't game of the year material, but I wonder if USD over NDSU is a program changer for USD.

FCS v FCS Upset of the Year candidate, for sure.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Not when NDSU wins its 5th straight in January....xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Not when NDSU wins its 5th straight in January....xthumbsupx
Not gonna happen. It's our turn. xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Richmond over an undefeated and #1 ranked JMU when game day was there also deserves serious consideration. The only reason I didn't put it as #1 is the fact that Lee suffered a season ending injury when the Dukes still had a shot...

Missingnumber7
November 24th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Not gonna happen. It's our turn. xthumbsupx

Keep tellin yourself that.

citdog
November 24th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Where is le high this weekend? Who has le high EVER whipped? Stay in the corner and the patsy league where you belong. That "dumpster fire team" would have whipped yours by 9 touchdowns.

Theee Catrabbit
November 24th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Best USD over NDSU in Fargo, nobody saw that coming
Worst WIU over SDSU, because I'm a homer, did cost SDSU a seed and playoff home games, so that's significant.

citdog
November 24th, 2015, 04:39 PM

When portland state players start marching and being held to high academic standards come and talk to me. You yankees have NO IDEA what football is like in the South.

NDB
November 24th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Portland State over North Texas.

Coach lost his job after the game. EPIC!

ElCid
November 24th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Here are this year's 9 FCS victories over FBS. Here is how I would rank them. Obviously there are intangibles and real objective differences when it comes to playing these FBS games. First off the FBS teams obviously all have more scholarships. The FBS team were all at home with some in very intimidating venues. These are all good wins for FCS as a result.

(FCS team, FBS team, current FBS team record - when (attendance) - FBS conf - current Massey Div I rank of the FBS team)

Portland State 24, Washington State 17 - 8-3 - 4 Sep (24,302) - PAC 12 - # 33/253

The Citadel 23, South Carolina 22 - 3-8 - 21 Nov (77,241) - SEC - #83/253

Portland State 66, North Texas 7 - 1-10 - 10 Oct (19,801) - Conf USA - #179/253 - The PSU score raises this win's impressiveness

James Madison 48, SMU 45 - 2-9 - 26 Sep (22,314) - AAC - #130/253

South Dakota State 41, Kansas 38 - 0-11 - 5 Sep (30,144) - Big 12 - #127/253 - would have been higher had Kansas actually won a game this year

Liberty 41, Georgia State 33 - 4-6 - 3 Oct (11,512) - Sun Belt - #126/253 - who would have thought, but Ga St is actually winning some games

Fordham 37, Army 35 - 2-9 - 4 Sep (22,523) - Ind - #162/253

Furman 16, UCF 15 - 0-11 - 19 Sep (36,484) - AAC - #175/253

North Dakota 24, Wyoming 13 - 1-10 - 5 Sep (23.669) - Mountain West - #173/253

Now in regard to the computer rankings, take them for what they are. Just to put this in perspective in regard to the strength of the FBS teams involved, Furman itself is ranked 176 right next to UCF. Army is ranked right below Princeton. Georgia St is ranked right below Western Carolina and right above Kansas which is 3 spot above SMU. N Texas is next to Monmouth. USC is above Rutgers and below Jacksonville, Ill St, and NDSU by a few spots. WSU is between West Virginia and Memphis.

laxVik
November 24th, 2015, 05:40 PM
When portland state players start marching and being held to high academic standards come and talk to me. You yankees have NO IDEA what football is like in the South.That's really irrelevant considering how bad USC is.

FordhamFan
November 24th, 2015, 05:51 PM
When portland state players start marching and being held to high academic standards come and talk to me. You yankees have NO IDEA what football is like in the South.

What's it like? Does it require terrible QB play? That's sure what it seems like.

RootinFerDukes
November 24th, 2015, 05:54 PM
The best Fcs win will happen on January 9th.
Or whoever finally beats ndsu in the playoffs.

citdog
November 24th, 2015, 05:58 PM
That's really irrelevant considering how bad USC is.

You couldn't have beaten them.

- - - Updated - - -

What's it like? Does it require terrible QB play? That's sure what it seems like.

You'll find out when Chattanooga whips you.

FordhamFan
November 24th, 2015, 06:03 PM

Just like they did to you guys before they let you score a few to feel good about yourself?

laxVik
November 24th, 2015, 06:03 PM
You couldn't have beaten them.

- - - Updated - - -

Geez good thing that was figured out.

citdog
November 24th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Just like they did to you guys before they let you score a few to feel good about yourself?

Yep...just the same way your ENTIRE LEAGUE was give an automatic bid...

tomq04
November 24th, 2015, 06:20 PM
PSA:
Don't feed the Citdog.

citdog
November 24th, 2015, 06:22 PM
PSA:
Don't feed the Citdog.

good advice

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2015, 06:34 PM
WIU over SDSU since it caused the biggest number of pregnancy scares in history after half of North America missed a period when WIU bumped their team out of the playoffs

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Keep tellin yourself that.

I will. See you in Frisco. ;)

PS. USC is a complete dumpster fire that got was rolled off a cliff and fell into a volcano.

ST_Lawson
November 24th, 2015, 07:39 PM

Yea, I think probably this one. There were a decent number of FCS over FBS wins this season, but nearly all (even the ones against really bad FBS teams) were pretty close.
But for an FCS team to beat an FBS team...ANY FBS team...by 59 freakin' points and then have the coach get fired before they even did the post-game press conference....

https://i.imgur.com/xgz9nkR.gif

Sandlapper Spike
November 24th, 2015, 08:39 PM
I would give the nod to Portland State for having the best FBS win. The Citadel does get the honor of being the FCS team to have the most people in the stands when it won (though to be honest, it wasn't really 77K).

SDFS
November 24th, 2015, 10:31 PM
We spanked a playoff team like they were in the MEAC. That was the best FCS vs FCS win considering we were probably only 7-9 point favorites.

I nominate WIU's moral victory over NDSU as the best FCS vs FCS loss and WIU over Illinois as the best FCS vs FBS loss.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I nominate WIU's moral victory over NDSU as the best FCS vs FCS loss and WIU over Illinois as the best FCS vs FBS loss.

I'm pretty sure JSU vs Auburn is the only real biggest FBS loss contender here. Just my opinion.

Edit:
I just looked at WIU's record and scores. I now see the sarcasm. Good one.

SDFS
November 24th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure JSU vs Auburn is the only real biggest FBS loss contender here. Just my opinion.

Come on 44-0 - doesn't get much closer than that.. it was a game of inches... a couple really close calls ... just a little more time and they could have scored. Plus Illinois is really sneaky good this year. That is an outstanding loss - really.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Common on 44-0 - does not get much closer than that..really. Plus the Illinois are really sneaky good this year. That is an outstanding loss - really.

You're right. You're right.

TheKingpin28
November 24th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Yea, I think probably this one. There were a decent number of FCS over FBS wins this season, but nearly all (even the ones against really bad FBS teams) were pretty close.
But for an FCS team to beat an FBS team...ANY FBS team...by 59 freakin' points and then have the coach get fired before they even did the post-game press conference....

https://i.imgur.com/xgz9nkR.gif

"But I ain't a rapper "
"Mute spittah, show em what you got"

ngineer
November 24th, 2015, 11:16 PM
PSU over Wazzu. Not even close. The Cit's win was nice considering the 'panache' of South Carolina over the years, but not this year. PSU win more impressive.

dgtw
November 25th, 2015, 06:59 AM

My vote as well. Yes, North Texas sucks, but 66-7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmsterBison
November 25th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Common on 44-0 - does not get much closer than that.. it was a game of inches... a couple really close calls ... just a little more time and they could have scored. Plus Illinois is really sneaky good this year. That is an outstanding loss - really.

Are you saying that they went toe-to-toe with them?

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2015, 07:47 AM
PSU over WAZZU for FBS win
Montana over NDSU was the best game I watched all year, in FCS.

gumby013
November 25th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Word is they fired him at halftime.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Are you saying that they went toe-to-toe with them?

Of course, that game had a really spectacular finish, like the end of the Michigan State vs Michigan game. One play could have made the difference in that game. WIU gave Illinois a run for their money.

Toby
November 25th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Honestly I think you would need two categories to do this justice.

FCS vs FCS
FCS vs FBS

I think just from the SoCon alone you have UTC over Citadel, Citadel over USC. Other noteworthy games...

Mercer over UTC
WCU over Samford (just as my homer pick)
Furman over UCF

For an FCS vs. FCS upset, It would be hard to find one bigger than Mercer over #3 UTC. Mercer in just its third year of football and with just 2 scholarship recruiting classes. But maybe since Mercer played toe to toe with WCU, Citadel and Wofford earlier in the year, the upset wasn't as surprising to some.

Scooter
November 25th, 2015, 10:02 AM
I would say UNDs mortal victory over NDSU by keeping the game "close" without showing the big sky ANYTHING they were going to do offensively. The strategy backfired because it kept UND out of playoffs...that and the Idaho State loss. :-)