View Full Version : Gateway Conference 2007 and 2008

FlyYtown
December 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM
As we head into the off season; the Gateway Conference, arguably the deepest league of all the CS Conferences will go down to just 7 teams. Of course the likely 2 invitees to the Gateway will be North Dakota State and South Dakota State: but Illinois St. Head Coach Denver Johnson has said he will not approve of the move, and Missouri State is 100% against the move... saying they are not supportive of making the league even MORE Competitive.. Which I think is just competitive.

Youngstown St. AD Ron Strollo has said if Indiana St. were to drop out of the GFC, which will not be a big surprise to many, and NDSU-SDSU are vetoed from joining: YSU will look elsewhere..... Which means... We will look possibly the move up to MAC, which is favored by many fans; or possibly look to the A10/CAA whatever the hell it's called now! :smiley_wi

As far as I am concerned: if these schools are afraid of NDSU and SDSU... They need to fire their coaches and just leave the league altogether. The Gateway is going to do it's all to make itself the best league in the I-AA; and by having it's own member schools say they are against it..... shows the lack of dedication a few of these schools have in their programs.

----
Gateway Fans on Here... Post the your 2007 Non-Conference Schedule.
----
YSU AD has told our play-by-play voice Bob Hannon that YSU will have SEVEN [7] Home Games in 2007!!!!!
Youngstown State
@ Ohio St.
vs. Stony Brook
vs. South Dakota St.
2 Open Left; sadly one rumored to be a D2.

TheValleyRaider
December 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Youngstown St. AD Ron Strollo has said if Indiana St. were to drop out of the GFC, which will not be a big surprise to many, and NDSU-SDSU are vetoed from joining: YSU will look elsewhere..... Which means... We will look possibly the move up to MAC, which is favored by many fans; or possibly look to the A10/CAA whatever the hell it's called now! :smiley_wi

Umm, when was Indiana State going to drop out of the Gateway? :confused: :eyebrow:

FlyYtown
December 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Umm, when was Indiana State going to drop out of the Gateway? :confused: :eyebrow:
If they continue with their pathetic 1-10 seasons...they won't stick with football anymore.. They can give it to their b-ball program, which btw is pretty damn good.

No_Skill
December 11th, 2006, 10:42 PM
There is a topic on Bisonville.com that is discussing this topic regarding the following article:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12/10/sports/doc457cbca2b79c3726421891.t xt

When I read it, it left me scratching my head. The world is full of all kinds of people. We say "Bring on the Competition", this guy says "no thanks...tough enough". :nono:

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

Peems
December 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM
There is a topic on Bisonville.com that is discussing this topic regarding the following article:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12/10/sports/doc457cbca2b79c3726421891.t xt

When I read it, it left me scratching my head. The world is full of all kinds of people. We say "Bring on the Competition", this guy says "no thanks...tough enough". :nono:

I am not trying to defend them, but perhaps they are thinking if the gateway is too tough there will be no way for more than one team to make the playoffs. If a team loses one OOC game and then loses 3 or 4 conference games they will have very little chance of getting to the playoffs. So while the coaches do believe in beating the best to be the best, they also realize to beat the best you have to be in the playoffs, and perhaps adding two very good schools that would limit their chances.

crunifan
December 12th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Umm, did you just call Indiana State's basketball program "pretty damn good?"

They may have beaten Butler, but they are still cellar dwellers in the MVC too.

BearsCountry
December 12th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Gotta hand to MSU for looking like a D2 athletic department again.

No_Skill
December 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Gotta hand to MSU for looking like a D2 athletic department again.

That is not a good comparison. There are plenty of D2 programs who aren't afraid to play top competition.

It has nothing to do with division, it has everything to do with those in charge of the program.

bcrawf
December 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Mark Farley has said over and over that he hope the Dakota schools join. Bring 'em on :)

MplsBison
December 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Aren't the presidents the ones who actually make the decision.

So far all I'm reading are mad coaches and ADs.

MplsBison
December 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
If Youngstown and Illinois State go I-A and Indiana State drops, there's almost no reason to join the Gateway.

UNI, WIU, SIU, and MSU would be the only teams left.

Might as well just invite those teams to join the Great West/Mid Con football conference.

YoUDeeMan
December 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
If they continue with their pathetic 1-10 seasons...they won't stick with football anymore.. They can give it to their b-ball program, which btw is pretty damn good.

Larry Bird still hanging around?

Speaking of a Bird...or a Hen...

YoUDeeMan
December 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM
YSU will look elsewhere..... Which means... We will possibly look to the A10/CAA whatever the hell it's called now!

Oh, the irony! xlolx Years from now, Flytown will be posting his annual diatribe about how YSU is in the toughest, deepest, etc. conference. But that time, he'll FINALLY be right! :D :hurray:

FlyYtown
December 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM
If Youngstown and Illinois State go I-A and Indiana State drops, there's almost no reason to join the Gateway.

UNI, WIU, SIU, and MSU would be the only teams left.

Might as well just invite those teams to join the Great West/Mid Con football conference.
When did someone ever hint that Illinois St. would go to I-A... If they are scared of NDSU and SDSU coming to the Gateway????

I-AA's Likely To Go To I-A Within Next 10 Years
1. Montana
2. Youngstown
3. ????

89Hen
December 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
possibly look to the A10/CAA whatever the hell it's called now! :smiley_wi
No offense, but we're full. :cool: :p

MplsBison
December 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
What happens when ODU joins? 13 members. Why not 14?

89Hen
December 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
What happens when ODU joins? 13 members. Why not 14?
The folks in Orono, Durham, Amherst, Kingston.... would like to know too. By then we'll have an answer.

MplsBison
December 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
When did someone ever hint that Illinois St. would go to I-A...

http://photos-545.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v48/151/29/22906049/n22906049_32483545_5553.jpg

When this is built...

'nuff said.

shakdaddy3
December 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
no... you have to win games to make the playoffs and THEN you have to beat the best...

i can see both sides to the arguement...

and Fly, much money is being raised for stadium expansion at ILSU... along with many other excited things going on at ILSU, our AD is doing a great job gaining support from the community which there has never really been any... our AD has expressed that he wants to build ILSU to make the *choice* of going BS, but the community and student support would dictate that for the most part... so yes, there is talk of us going to the BS... some say in 5 years (which i doubt highly) but 10 years or so seems more likely...

BearsCountry
December 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM
That is not a good comparison. There are plenty of D2 programs who aren't afraid to play top competition.

It has nothing to do with division, it has everything to do with those in charge of the program.

I was talking about the mind set of our athletic department. Its the oh me we are just little Missouri State, when we are much better than that. Its the small talk like we are just the little under dog all the time. Adding NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway makes it just like a I-A conference IMO. It would be a big boost to our university. But heck what I am expecting too much, we don't even have an athletics website up and running.

igo4uni
December 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I was talking about the mind set of our athletic department. Its the oh me we are just little Missouri State, when we are much better than that. Its the small talk like we are just the little under dog all the time. Adding NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway makes it just like a I-A conference IMO. It would be a big boost to our university. But heck what I am expecting too much, we don't even have an athletics website up and running.

Truly sad state of affairs if what you say is true.

stuperman17
December 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Thats a sweet stadium for Illinois State. Whens it gettin built?

FargoBison
December 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Is ISU really against expansion to the Dakota's? If a school wants to go I-A you would think they would be all for more competition and building a stronger league. If you want to go I-A but are afriad of adding NDSU and SDSU to your conference you probably shouldn't be thinking about going I-A in the first place.

I think in the end expansion will happen just because 7 isn't a great number, bad for scheduling and risky considering teams like Ill St and YSU my go a I-A and Ind St may just drop football alltogather. NDSU and SDSU will bring long term stability to the league and if other schools do leave the door will be open to adding UND and USD if needed.

da_bears
December 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
as a missouri state fan, i am against the dakotas for the sake of our own record and wasted money on road trips. Also, this is a Missouri valley based league and it shouldn't have so many non-valley members.

But if ISU, YSU, MSU, SIU and whoever want to go I-A, and Dakotas are willing to go I-A and form a bowl confernce then i would be for it, but without that i dont see what they bring the table other than they want our precious auto bid to a playoffs that nobody follows.

REALBird
December 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm all for increasing the level of competition, but I'd have to say I'm against adding the Dakota schools to the GFC. What Coach Johnson said is correct. All of the Illinois schools SIU, Illinois State and Western Illinois are already at a severe disadvantage in that Illinois does not allow state funding to go toward supporting athletics or athletic facilities. The plans to build a new football stadium in Carbondale is coming on the backs of their students, and their alums. The plans to renovate Hancock stadium is going to be funded by ISU alums and no doubt some private money.

If ISU or any of the other Illinios schools not named NIU or U of Illinois had the money to put toward athletics and athletic facilities, I don't think we'd be on this board having the conversation right now. ISU would have been 1-A a long time ago. Maybe even SIU.

Also, you guys get pretty crappy weather in the Dakotas. Travelling to the Dakotas isn't going to be any easier than having to travel to Youngstown for a game in a blizzard as we did this year.

I don't like the geography of the conference. I don't like the additional travel. I don't like the fact that these two schools as Coach DJ says...."are at the top of their food chain" in the own state. I definitely don't like the fact that they have generous boosters and state funding to make them EVEN MORE COMPETITVE. They do a good job of producing D-1 talent already. Adding them to the "best" FS conference in football will only increase their stature!

The conference will feast on itself and we'll become a one bid conference. Or the NCAA will have to say damn the politics and give a GFC conference 5-6 bids a year. (not likely)

Bison05
December 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm all for increasing the level of competition, but I'd have to say I'm against adding the Dakota schools to the GFC. What Coach Johnson said is correct. All of the Illinois schools SIU, Illinois State and Western Illinois are already at a severe disadvantage in that Illinois does not allow state funding to go toward supporting athletics or athletic facilities. The plans to build a new football stadium in Carbondale is coming on the backs of their students, and their alums. The plans to renovate Hancock stadium is going to be funded by ISU alums and no doubt some private money.

If ISU or any of the other Illinios schools not named NIU or U of Illinois had the money to put toward athletics and athletic facilities, I don't think we'd be on this board having the conversation right now. ISU would have been 1-A a long time ago. Maybe even SIU.

Also, you guys get pretty crappy weather in the Dakotas. Travelling to the Dakotas isn't going to be any easier than having to travel to Youngstown for a game in a blizzard as we did this year.

I don't like the geography of the conference. I don't like the additional travel. I don't like the fact that these two schools as Coach DJ says...."are at the top of their food chain" in the own state. I definitely don't like the fact that they have generous boosters and state funding to make them EVEN MORE COMPETITVE. They do a good job of producing D-1 talent already. Adding them to the "best" FS conference in football will only increase their stature!

The conference will feast on itself and we'll become a one bid conference. Or the NCAA will have to say damn the politics and give a GFC conference 5-6 bids a year. (not likely)

If your schools actually feel this way, Im starting to think that staying in the GWFC might be a better option. Id rather be associated with schools that actually want to play against the best, not just try to inflate their record against lesser schools and then beat their chest that their the best conference. Oh, and good luck with making it in the FBS if this is your attitude.

skinny_uncle
December 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Umm, did you just call Indiana State's basketball program "pretty damn good?"

They may have beaten Butler, but they are still cellar dwellers in the MVC too.
Indy State may be at the bottom of the Valley in hoops, but I would bet money on them if they played the Penguins in basketball.
:D

BearsCountry
December 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM

I'm sure this exact same thing was said when Youngstown and WKU were added. Neither of them have dominated the conference.

WYOBISONMAN
December 12th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Truly sad statements by both ISU and Missouri State. Get with it and strive to be the best rather that running from competition...........

89rabbit
December 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I tell you I don't understand all this fear of the Rabbits. We are cute and cuddly nothing to fear from us . . . or is there?

http://media1.funnyjunk.com/pics/0434.jpg

FlyYtown
December 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Well bottom line: most of the Gateway is for the move, and I think that is all it needs to allow NDSU and SDSU to join the league....... forget MSU and ILSU...

And don't use the argument about state funding. YSU already has it tough.. you forget about OHIO?
Ohio St.-Kent St.-Bowling Green St.-Central St.-Shawnee St.-Wright St.-Akron-Cleveland St.-Cincinnati-Miami[OH]-Toledo
YSU splits money with all of those schools...... sorry that it is tough with Ill and NIU....But c-mon: if you don't want them to join; then maybe you're not fit for the GFC.

MylesKnight
December 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM
no... you have to win games to make the playoffs and THEN you have to beat the best...

i can see both sides to the argument...

Very sensible comments.

Unfortunately the truth may very well be that a 7-4 team in a absolutely loaded Gateway Conference (including NDSU and SDSU) would be overlooked for an at-large berth for say a 9-2 or possibly even a 8-3 team from a League that is not quite as strong.

If I'm Coach Joe Blow at X University in the Gateway Conference, I don't know if I want to go through a "Murderer's Row" of games In-League like this either, year in and year out... Although I'd also never admit that publicly.

At the same time, you never know what is going to happen in the game of Conference Alignment.. If you don't take NDSU and SDSU when you are able to, and then really need them later on (ie; YSU and IlSU moving up and/or InSU moving out), it may be too late.

shakdaddy3
December 13th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks myles...

the only other conference that would understand why we wouldn't want 2 more very powerful teams in the conference is the A-10...

it's very easy for us to sit on a board and say, "you shouldn't run away from competition" or "if you want to go BS then you shouldn't have that attitude"...

the goal of each team is to make the playoffs... on the road there, you have to play some good competition for the most part... we have 5 teams (6 when WKU was here) that can compete for a playoff spot with curretnyl 2 bottom feeders (and MSU won't be at the bottom for long) as opposed to a lot of other conferences that have a couple...

and going IA or BS is not about playing in a really good conference.. it's about $$. how does adding NDSU and/or SDSU help us make $? Fact is, they won't due to travel.

Bison05 said we are just trying to inflate our record against lesser schools... how many teams did you play that made the playoffs? How many teams on your schedule are in the top 25? looks like SDSU and Cal Poly... and two IA teams most likely because of the playoff probationary period (my bet, you won't see two BS teams on your schedule when you are playoff eligible)...

now our schedule of ranked teams: one BS team, EIU, UNI, SIU, and YSU...

both of the ranked teams you played are ranked below ours... 2 of ours are top 10 teams... so, are we really playing lesser competition without you? it looks like your schedule was the lesser one...

so now who is pounding their chests with a weak schedule?

Rabbit3467
December 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks myles...

the only other conference that would understand why we wouldn't want 2 more very powerful teams in the conference is the A-10...

it's very easy for us to sit on a board and say, "you shouldn't run away from competition" or "if you want to go BS then you shouldn't have that attitude"...

the goal of each team is to make the playoffs... on the road there, you have to play some good competition for the most part... we have 5 teams (6 when WKU was here) that can compete for a playoff spot with curretnyl 2 bottom feeders (and MSU won't be at the bottom for long) as opposed to a lot of other conferences that have a couple...

and going IA or BS is not about playing in a really good conference.. it's about $$. how does adding NDSU and/or SDSU help us make $? Fact is, they won't due to travel.

Bison05 said we are just trying to inflate our record against lesser schools... how many teams did you play that made the playoffs? How many teams on your schedule are in the top 25? looks like SDSU and Cal Poly... and two IA teams most likely because of the playoff probationary period (my bet, you won't see two BS teams on your schedule when you are playoff eligible)...

now our schedule of ranked teams: one BS team, EIU, UNI, SIU, and YSU...

both of the ranked teams you played are ranked below ours... 2 of ours are top 10 teams... so, are we really playing lesser competition without you? it looks like your schedule was the lesser one...

so now who is pounding their chests with a weak schedule?

The difference is that NDSU and SDSU want a chance to play this tough schedule every year. Right now we struggle to find home games, and most top level teams DONT want to go to SDSU and NDSU to play, look montana state and montana, who bought out of their contracts for next year.(thanks GSU for coming to SDSU and honoring your contract) SDSU and NDSU came out of the NCC which was one of, if not the best conference in D-II, and I think they want that again. There is a chance, albeit a small one, that if a couple other teams leave the conference the Gateway could lose its autobid, but you dont want to add tough competition? So I ask this question, to the teams that dont think NDSU and SDSU should be added, who should be?

GABison
December 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Excellent point 3467.

If there are people out there that think YSU and Ill. State are eventually going BCS, all the more reason to add a couple rock solid programs now. Good football schools are NOT exactly springing out of the ground every day. You may actually have to go a little bit out of your geographic footprint to get the quality that the Gateway is known for.

MylesKnight
December 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I agree, good points. For the record, I hope that NDSU and SDSU can fulfill their wishes, whether that be to get invites into the Gateway or to stick around and help continue to build the Great West into another power Conference at the FCS level (if it isn't one already).

Whatever happens, I just hope that at the end of it all the western schools currently competing in the Great West don't get left out of the dance.

I can understand the comments from a couple of current Head Coaches in the Gateway though.. If the League gets tougher and said Coach's Team slips a bit in the standings a bit, guess who may be out of a job at that point? Not you or I.

YoUDeeMan
December 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I tell you I don't understand all this fear of the Rabbits. We are cute and cuddly nothing to fear from us . . . or is there?

That's no ordinary rabbit! That's the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rrrrrrrrodent you ever set eyes on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg&mode=related&search=

Edit: linked a better copy

No_Skill
December 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Anyone who has seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail knows that rabbits should be feared!

DEATH! awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!

JackTwice
December 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I really despise the weather argument. I would bet teams are more likely to get caught in Iowa, Illinois or Ohio with crappy weather than the Dakotas. Is it cold here in the winter? yes. But the blizzard/bad weather is more likely to happen Southeast of here. As a matter of fact our Women's BBall team has already been stuck in Chicago due to bad weather twice this year.

I will agree with the thought that the conference can be too strong. South Dakota State hasn't made a playoffs since 1963. Largely because we were usually in the top three or four of the arguably best conference in D-II. Its going to make it tough to make the playoffs in a league with 6 teams that are regularly at the top of the FCS. But the Gateway has to look to the future. If NDSU/SDSU don't come now they may never, and then who do you get if you lose two more teams?

igo4uni
December 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM
That's no ordinary rabbit! That's the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rrrrrrrrodent you ever set eyes on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg&mode=related&search=

Edit: linked a better copy

Run away, Run away, Run away!!!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

89rabbit
December 13th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I really despise the weather argument. I would bet teams are more likely to get caught in Iowa, Illinois or Ohio with crappy weather than the Dakotas. Is it cold here in the winter? yes. But the blizzard/bad weather is more likely to happen Southeast of here. As a matter of fact our Women's BBall team has already been stuck in Chicago due to bad weather twice this year.

I will agree with the thought that the conference can be too strong. South Dakota State hasn't made a playoffs since 1963. Largely because we were usually in the top three or four of the arguably best conference in D-II. Its going to make it tough to make the playoffs in a league with 6 teams that are regularly at the top of the FCS. But the Gateway has to look to the future. If NDSU/SDSU don't come now they may never, and then who do you get if you lose two more teams?

Actaully our last playoff appearence was in 1979 and we played Youngstown State in the first round of the D-II playoffs. :read:

JackTwice
December 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Actaully our last playoff appearence was in 1979 and we played Youngstown State in the first round of the D-II playoffs. :read:

OOPS! got the date wrong. The rest is about right though:eyebrow:

FlyYtown
December 13th, 2006, 09:50 PM
As I've posted on here before, YSU will be having 7 home games on the 2007 tilt; which is very high. They will begin @ Ohio St; with the next 4 being at home..... At least that is what I am hearing... Also have some other info pertaining to another game in another year that I am not allowed to release to anyone....... I will when i get the okay though.... it will be very surprising to most... that's all i can say!

chiapet9
December 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM
As I've posted on here before, YSU will be having 7 home games on the 2007 tilt; which is very high. They will begin @ Ohio St; with the next 4 being at home..... At least that is what I am hearing... Also have some other info pertaining to another game in another year that I am not allowed to release to anyone....... I will when i get the okay though.... it will be very surprising to most... that's all i can say!

you're like Mr. Super Secret Information Man. what is your position that you know all this Top Secret stuff? i mean...is it REALLY that top secret anyway?xidiotx

JackTwice
December 13th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I have heard that Youngstown and SDSU have a home and home planned for 07 and 08 or 09. Don't know if that is out yet officially or not.

FlyYtown
December 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I have heard that Youngstown and SDSU have a home and home planned for 07 and 08 or 09. Don't know if that is out yet officially or not.
Ya YSU has the home game in 2007 and 2009.
The top secret info is about 2008.... and concerns something that no I-AA http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/rotateh.gif
:rotateh:has ever done..... at least to a team of this caliber.
:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

BearsCountry
December 14th, 2006, 02:41 AM
You guys bringing Ohio State to Youngstown.

FlyYtown
December 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM
You guys bringing Ohio State to Youngstown.
No......right track though.

RabidRabbit
December 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM
No......right track though.

Nittany Lions? :confused: :confused:

RabidRabbit
December 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Been doing this for years to Coyotes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BillLuc1982
December 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I fully support the Dakota schools joining the Gateway. At least when all Gateway teams have to play the Dakota schools every year, we will hear fewer A-10/Gateway comparisons.

NDSU is the 2nd best program (close 2nd) in the CS this year. Appy St. would own them at Kidd-Brewer, but NDSU would win a close one in the Fargodome.

Maybe the Fargodome will become YSU's new bane.

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM

The Rabbits are scheduling big time! :hurray:

Not sure if I posted this on another thread or earlier in this one, but one o fthe Blue Hen chat sites has listed a tentative 2-for-1 home and home series with SDSU. Says one home game for UD is in 2010. It didn't list the other games, but you can bet your house that 2 of the 3 are in Newark.

I'll be there for that game!

GoGuins
December 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Ya YSU has the home game in 2007 and 2009.
The top secret info is about 2008.... and concerns something that no I-AA http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/rotateh.gif
:rotateh:has ever done..... at least to a team of this caliber.
:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

You act like you're Strollo's (YSU AD) right hand man with all this "top secret" talk. Grow up and just spit it out if you know something, it's probably something we already know

Paladin1aa
December 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
2008 YSU

Multiple D-III NC Mt. Union vs multiple NC YSU !!xlolx xlolx xlolx

REALBird
December 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Well bottom line: most of the Gateway is for the move, and I think that is all it needs to allow NDSU and SDSU to join the league....... forget MSU and ILSU...

And don't use the argument about state funding. YSU already has it tough.. you forget about OHIO?
Ohio St.-Kent St.-Bowling Green St.-Central St.-Shawnee St.-Wright St.-Akron-Cleveland St.-Cincinnati-Miami[OH]-Toledo
YSU splits money with all of those schools...... sorry that it is tough with Ill and NIU....But c-mon: if you don't want them to join; then maybe you're not fit for the GFC.

Go back and RE-READ my comments. You guys are splitting STATE funding for Athletics. WE GET NO STATE MONIES FOR INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS!

As for whether ISU is a perfect fit for the GFC, let's not split hairs here, you guys will probably look to join the Collegiate Conference of Ohio and Michigan affectionately known as the Whack! I'm sorry.....MAC, before ISU goes I-A. Furthermore, YSU joined a conference ISU belonged to already. So what gives you the right to say we're not a fit for the GFC, when YSU had to accept an INVITE to join?

My personal opinion about the Dakota schools simply echoes the feelings of our head coach. ISU has taken a policy of NOT scheduling D-II schools in recent years, we'd rather play I-AA scholarship or non-scholly teams. Fitting the Dakotas into our schedule is still possible without adding them to our conference, and going slumming by playing LockHaven and a host of other D-II patsies! (hmmmmm)

I've listed funding, facilities, travel, and strength of conference as reasons why I don't want to add two more teams. What compelling argument can you make for them other than replacing WKU? Surely it isn't just to keep the league intact once YSU leaves, since some YSU fans keep talking about being the next team to leave for the BS!

FlyYtown
December 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
You act like you're Strollo's (YSU AD) right hand man with all this "top secret" talk. Grow up and just spit it out if you know something, it's probably something we already know

O give it up already. I know you hate me for whatever reason or another.... but I know something most YSU fans do not know... And maybe I do have the insider sources---I do..... And for their sake and my sake: I am not going to release it until I feel it's right.... And that will be done on eGuins.. not here or the other site.

And o ya:::: You don't know this one..

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Maybe the Fargodome will become YSU's new bane.

You've got a pretty good streak going in the UNI-Dome!!:D :D :D

I'm sorry...........I couldn't resist.:cool:

JackTwice
December 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM
The Rabbits are scheduling big time! :hurray:

Not sure if I posted this on another thread or earlier in this one, but one o fthe Blue Hen chat sites has listed a tentative 2-for-1 home and home series with SDSU. Says one home game for UD is in 2010. It didn't list the other games, but you can bet your house that 2 of the 3 are in Newark.

I'll be there for that game!

This is the SDSU schedule for 2007, with the YSU game not "official yet"

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
Sept. 8 - TBA
Sept. 15 - TBA
Sept. 22 - Texas State
Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
Oct. 13 - TBA
Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
Nov.10 - Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - NDSU

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
O give it up already. I know you hate me for whatever reason or another.... but I know something most YSU fans do not know... And maybe I do have the insider sources---I do..... And for their sake and my sake: I am not going to release it until I feel it's right.... And that will be done on eGuins.. not here or the other site.

And o ya:::: You don't know this one..

I am thinking that they have a low level FBS team that has agreed to come to Y-Town. It is a team that you should beat no matter where it is played so it really is not that big of a deal.

Sorry FlYtown, however, I love your passion for Gateway Football

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I am thinking that they have a low level FBS team that has agreed to come to Y-Town.

The Iowa State Cyclowns are going to Y-town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

FlyYtown
December 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I am thinking that they have a low level FBS team that has agreed to come to Y-Town. It is a team that you should beat no matter where it is played so it really is not that big of a deal.

Sorry FlYtown, however, I love your passion for Gateway Football
Nope... Sorry try again.. Technically it's kinda surprising... maybe that will hint you at it.

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Last guess...
Are you going to have a Penguin Football TV Network???

you said "technical"

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Nope... Sorry try again.. Technically it's kinda surprising... maybe that will hint you at it.

a tech school...........like Georgia Tech!!

FlyYtown
December 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Forget it.... You guys are down in Antarctica right now you are so cold...... It involves 2008.... and thats enough clues from me.... before I give it away.

BisBison
December 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
VA Tech:confused:

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM
This is the SDSU schedule for 2007, with the YSU game not "official yet"

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
Sept. 8 - TBA
Sept. 15 - TBA
Sept. 22 - Texas State
Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
Oct. 13 - TBA
Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
Nov.10 - Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - NDSU

Hard to beat a team twice in one year, but you folks have scheduled that TBA school three times! Sometimes they can play you tough, other times you can just roll over them. xlolx xlolx

On the serious side, so far you folks have a nice OOC schedule! :thumbsup:

89rabbit
December 14th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hard to beat a team twice in one year, but you folks have scheduled that TBA school three times! Sometimes they can play you tough, other times you can just roll over them. xlolx xlolx

On the serious side, so far you folks have a nice OOC schedule! :thumbsup:

The Sept. 15th date is supposed to be Montana in Brookings. At first it sounded like Montana was going to buy us out. The latest word on the street is they are having second thoughts and my come to South Dakota to play after all.

If Montana stays put, we will be able to set a date for the Youngstown State game and then our schedule is done unless a 12th game is added.

SpreadtheRed
December 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Forget it.... You guys are down in Antarctica right now you are so cold...... It involves 2008.... and thats enough clues from me.... before I give it away.

I got it! Technically...Jimmy Tressel is coming back to coach in 2008!!!!!

just kidding.

My guess is that you guys are getting a BASEketball team. I know I want one here at ISU.

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
The suprise thing is lame. I'll just wait.

Can't wait to add the XDSU's. :hurray: :hurray:

Everyone else is chicken.

GaSouthern
December 15th, 2006, 04:33 PM
When did someone ever hint that Illinois St. would go to I-A... If they are scared of NDSU and SDSU coming to the Gateway????

I-AA's Likely To Go To I-A Within Next 10 Years
1. Montana
2. Youngstown
3. Appalacian
4. Georgia Southern

:)

HLecter
December 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
If your schools actually feel this way, Im starting to think that staying in the GWFC might be a better option. Id rather be associated with schools that actually want to play against the best, not just try to inflate their record against lesser schools and then beat their chest that their the best conference. Oh, and good luck with making it in the FBS if this is your attitude.

Dude, you miss Real Bird's point entirely.

It is a money thing,,,in that you guys get it,,,the Ill schools don't.

Believe me, NOBODY in the gateway is afraid of playing you.

redbirdtim
December 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Personally, I am for adding them to the conference. I think it could be the power conference in the FCS. I disagree with Denver, personally I think he is afraid to play the Dakota schools and would rather play schools in the Big 12 or Big 10 that help pay his paycheck. If we added NDSU and SDSU, we would probably have to lose the I-A game and schedule a I-AA game instead.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 08:33 AM
What's with all the talk of people moving to the BS? None of those teams have even talked about it recently.

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Now what if the 12 game schedule gets passed? It would be foolish for the Gateway not to add the Dakotas if that was the case. Scheduling 6 OOC games would be extremely hard.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Now what if the 12 game schedule gets passed? It would be foolish for the Gateway not to add the Dakotas if that was the case. Scheduling 6 OOC games would be extremely hard.

Agreed. We are playing Southern Utah next year. :rolleyes:

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Agreed. We are playing Southern Utah next year. :rolleyes:

Do you know the rest of the Panthers schedule for next year?

Mountain Panther
December 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Do you know the rest of the Panthers schedule for next year?

UNOFFICIAL

2007:
Sept. 1 vs. Minnesota State
Sept. 8 at Iowa State
Sept. 15 at South Dakota State
Sept. 22 OPEN (looking for a game)
Sept. 29 at Illinois State

UNI will play Southern Utah University, but I'm not sure what the date of that game is.

MplsBison
December 16th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Agreed. We are playing Southern Utah next year.

Why don't you just worry about beating teams with 36 scholarships at home first, ok?

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
UNOFFICIAL

2007:
Sept. 1 vs. Minnesota State
Sept. 8 at Iowa State
Sept. 15 at South Dakota State
Sept. 22 OPEN (looking for a game)
Sept. 29 at Illinois State

UNI will play Southern Utah University, but I'm not sure what the date of that game is.

You guys host SIU on Oct. 13

http://www.dawgtracker.com/

bcrawf
December 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Southern Utah comes to the Dome on November 17

BisBison
December 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Don't take them lightly, they are increasing their scolys year to year and showed a good deal of improvement this year. I expect them to show improvement next year as their increased scolarships start to produce results.

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 10:33 AM
If we can get one more Gateway school's conference schedule to go along with SIU and Illinois State, we could get the Gateway Confernce for all the schools.

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
If we can get one more Gateway school's conference schedule to go along with SIU and Illinois State, we could get the Gateway Confernce for all the schools.

Indiana State released their schedule today. I will get a Gateway conference schedule up fairly quick.

chiapet9
December 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM
i cannot imagine FBS powerhouses like Penn State and Va Tech would ever need to fill up a schedule and come to an FCS school like YSU. there's no reason that they couldn't get a game with some weak MAC team like Miami of Ohio....

maybe Miami of Ohio is coming to YSU.....hahaha....just get off your horse FLyYtown and tell us.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Why don't you just worry about beating teams with 36 scholarships at home first, ok?

Don't get too defensive of them. I didn't say they were weak or a sure win. I'm just not overly excited about playing Southern Utah.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Don't take them lightly, they are increasing their scolys year to year and showed a good deal of improvement this year. I expect them to show improvement next year as their increased scolarships start to produce results.

I do like their nickname. Very original.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM
i cannot imagine FBS powerhouses like Penn State and Va Tech would ever need to fill up a schedule and come to an FCS school like YSU. there's no reason that they couldn't get a game with some weak MAC team like Miami of Ohio....

maybe Miami of Ohio is coming to YSU.....hahaha....just get off your horse FLyYtown and tell us.

Who said he's on the horse? Maybe his head is up the horse's...:eek: xlolx

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Tentative Schedules for all Gateway Conference Games

Dates go from Sept. 29 to Nov. 10 - listed in order.

Illinois State
Northern Iowa
at Missouri State
Indiana State
at Youngstown State
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky
at Southern Illinois

Indiana State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
at Illinois State
Western Kentucky
at Missouri State
Youngstown State
at Northern Iowa

Missouri State
at Youngstown State
Illinois State
at Western Kentucky
at Southern Illinois
Indiana State
Northern Iowa
at Western Illinois

UNI
at Illinois State
at Western Kentucky
Southern Illinois
at Western Illinois
Youngstown State
at Missouri State
Illinois State

Southern Illinois
at Indiana State
Youngstown State
at Northern Iowa
Missouri State
at Western Kentucky
at Western Illinois
Illinois State

Western Illinois
Western Kentucky
at Indiana State
at Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
at Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Missouri State

Youngstown State
Missouri State
at Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Illinois State
at Northern Iowa
at Indiana State
Western Kentucky

And here is WKU's Gateway part but it wont be there schedule.
at Western Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
at Indiana State
Southern Illinois
at Illinois State
at Youngstown State

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 11:41 AM
What happens with WKU's schedule? Are they not going to play all of us even with the move? Seems like fairly short notice to do a whole schedule.

Chi Panther
December 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Don't get too defensive of them. I didn't say they were weak or a sure win. I'm just not overly excited about playing Southern Utah.

We played them twice in the 90s....a home and home.....

FlyYtown
December 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
YSU has a great RB transfer coming to town!!!!
All I can say is this: and all the I-AA/CS Nation will be proud: about 3-4 weeks ago he was heading to AKRON; now he has chose YOUNGSTOWN STATE over the mediocre ZIPS!!!!!!

Much thanks to JMU and ESPN!!!

skinny_uncle
December 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
What happens with WKU's schedule? Are they not going to play all of us even with the move? Seems like fairly short notice to do a whole schedule.
Good question. They have to create a full Sunbelt schedule. My gut instinct is they will try to keep their old Gateway home games next year as they are in transition. The Sunbelt has 8 other members. If tey play all of them and retain their old Gateway home games they would have 11 games. The Fact that there are 3 CS games probably won't matter in a transition year.

bcrawf
December 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I would love to go down there and crush them. You too, Uncle??

BearsCountry
December 17th, 2006, 02:08 AM
WKU probally has us and Indiana State as the only Gateway schools on the schedule.