PDA

View Full Version : Secret to beating App.

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Stop their run. Now I know folks will say u cant stop it but you can. Defenses dont stop it because they are affraid of Edwards passing or running. Stop the run first and then worry about him. He can pass but he aint gonna beat you passing. He can run but he aint gonna beat you running himself. You smack richardson in the mouth and see what they do then. Ok

mtoliver
December 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM
That's no secret. People have been saying that for a couple months now, but no one has had any success. Not talking smack, but you can't call something a secret if it's common knowledge.

Fordham
December 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I thought the secret was to score more points than them, no?

youwouldno
December 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Most every team is focused on stopping the run, though some offenses are built almost entirely on the passing game. App St certainly is not in that category.

The problem with stopping the run against App St is that they probably are the best run blocking team in the FCS. Of course, even if UMass somehow slows both Richardson and Edwards, that doesn't address App St's main strength, which is defense.

AppGuy04
December 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
K Rich is the best player on that team, stopping him is not easy

AppGuy04
December 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM
that doesn't address App St's main strength, which is defense.

I think alot of people are forgetting this

rokamortis
December 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
That's no secret. People have been saying that for a couple months now, but no one has had any success. Not talking smack, but you can't call something a secret if it's common knowledge.

exactly

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 06:30 PM
whats the news on richardson how healthy will he be. if he isnt 100% it will be a lot easier for umass

AppGuy04
December 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
whats the news on richardson how healthy will he be. if he isnt 100% it will be a lot easier for umass

Kevin said after the game that he was fine, it was just a flare up of a previous injury, right trap inflammation

CCU2003
December 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM
APP is a god da*n juggernaut on offense.....good luck stopping any one aspect of their attack. I guess the other key to beating App is to run the ball + eat up the clock, keeping their offense on the sidelines. Yep, that's a new and novel idea...Man, everyone has given App State their best shot all year, week in and week out. They have all keyed on this or on that...The game is going to be great, but UMass will fall behind early, just like everyone else has this year and if App doesn't turn the ball over or have any monumental breakdowns it's going to be put away by the middle of the 3rd.

mtoliver
December 11th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Richardson went out half way through the 3rd quarter and they iced it the rest of the game as a precaution. He'll be runing on fresh legs. That kid's tough..... real tough. He rushed for 145 and 2 TD's and was named a semifinal player of the week in two and a half quarters....

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Secret may have been a bad choice for a word. The fact is that people knowing it and doing it are two different things. No one has had any success but their scheems are wrong. If Umass lines up and hits richardson in the mouth play after play and they play to the sidlines so App doesnt get on the corner so much, watch as app will change its comfort zone. Forcing Edwards into somthing hes not used to will challenge the freshman.

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Secret may have been a bad choice for a word. The fact is that people knowing it and doing it are two different things. No one has had any success but their scheems are wrong. If Umass lines up and hits richardson in the mouth play after play and they play to the sidlines so App doesnt get on the corner so much, watch as app will change its comfort zone. Forcing Edwards into somthing hes not used to will challenge the freshman.

You're right about lining 8 up in the box (different terminology) and stop KRich up the middle. The problem is you can't line up in the box to stop the run up the middle and cover the ouside too...there's only 11 guys on the field. But, I hope they try that, we can run an end-around with James Hill or TJ Courman. That requires no passing. I'm not saying we're (or KRich) is unstoppable, but smacking him in the mouth will just force us to run around the D. And, if we successfully do that, it would open up the middle and prevent UMass from "smacking Richardson in the mouth." ...I hope!:thumbsup:

rokamortis
December 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM
What App has done a great job of is when a defense keys on one thing too much they simply go to the other. You have to stop Edwards AND Richardson.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Parr:
I agree that "knowing it and doing it" are two different things. I further agree that no one has had any success defending App's O. Except maybe NC State and Wofford & with them it was more in the way they managed the clock than anything their D did.

I don't know if you are an App fan or not, but I have seen all but 2 App games this year. I have seen teams try to plug the middle (& Richardson then runs outside or goes for passes over the middle or swing passes) & I have seen teams "play to the sidelines" as you describe it, & App just runs up the middle. The problem I think all teams are having is with App's spread offense. Fact is, it just does not seem to lend itself to being defended. It seems to me the only successful way to defend it is to put about 13 defenders on the field.

And as for forcing Edwards into something he is not to, what do you think he is not used to? I have seen this amazing kid do just about everything there is to do on the field. Losing the game is just about the only thing I have not seen him do. I guess that is your point. And the devil is in the details.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM
What App has done a great job of is when a defense keys on one thing too much they simply go to the other. You have to stop Edwards AND Richardson.

This is exactly what I was trying to say with my earlier, and much more lengthy, post. :thumbsup:

mtoliver
December 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Posted by parr90:
"Secret may have been a bad choice for a word. The fact is that people knowing it and doing it are two different things."

Agreed. I probably shouldn't have gone at it like that.

What I meant was when you're dealing with that shotgun option, If you come blasting at richardson you have to have at least one defender unaccounted for in the middle AND another on the opposite side of the line from where Richardson is(which is tough to pull off with that tough run blocking.) If not, the minutemen will more than likely see nothing but knees and elbows running up the field. Edwards makes that give/keep read as well or better than the vast majority of QB's i've seen. He'll miss one every now and again, but that's to be expected. To have that many defenders in position to get a solid hit, the defensive backfield will be weakened. I give a ton of credit to the App OC...he always seems to have the right play in at the right time. If the D backfield weakens to protect against the run, then you're going to be hearing Mayfield and Jackson's names being called all night.

I ABSOLUTELY can't wait to see what the prolific UMass D brings to the table. Should be great to watch.

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
You're right about lining 8 up in the box (different terminology) and stop KRich up the middle. I hope they try that, because we can swing it out to KRich or Mayfield. We can run an end-around with James Hill or TJ Courman. All of which require no passing, or safe short passes. I'm not saying we're (or KRich) is unstoppable, but smacking him in the mouth will just force us to run around the D. And, if we successfully do that, it would open up the middle and prevent UMass from "smacking Richardson in the mouth." ...I hope!:thumbsup:

Yes and that is what I mean by playing to the sidline. You must shut down the intire running game.

I played at GSU in the late 80's and used to scrimmage against the most awsome rushing attack in maybe all of college, at least 1aa. Stoping the fullback which most teams didnt, hurt us. Our fullback is the heart, or should I say was, of our offense. Our qb's and A backs were very important and could hurt you, but you take the fullback out of the equation and you have a chance unless you just dont have the athletes to handle it. The app offense is very differnent but similar in that you have a qb and rb that are dual threats. The running back being the backbone. Take him out of the equation and you have a chance. Taking the backbone out of and offense and it has a mental affect on every thing else.

mtoliver
December 11th, 2006, 07:06 PM
then there was play action.....

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Posted by parr90:
"Secret may have been a bad choice for a word. The fact is that people knowing it and doing it are two different things."

Agreed. I probably shouldn't have gone at it like that.

What I meant was when you're dealing with that shotgun option, If you come blasting at richardson you have to have at least one defender unaccounted for in the middle AND another on the opposite side of the line from where Richardson is(which is tough to pull off with that tough run blocking.) If not, the minutemen will more than likely see nothing but knees and elbows running up the field. Edwards makes that give/keep read as well or better than the vast majority of QB's i've seen. He'll miss one every now and again, but that's to be expected. To have that many defenders in position to get a solid hit, the defensive backfield will be weakened. I give a ton of credit to the App OC...he always seems to have the right play in at the right time. If the D backfield weakens to protect against the run, then you're going to be hearing Mayfield and Jackson's names being called all night.

I ABSOLUTELY can't wait to see what the prolific UMass D brings to the table. Should be great to watch.

Its not blasting but Attack Read. You have to be able to redirect as you attack. Its the old Miami 4-3.

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Play action wont work against what I am speaking of especially out of the shotgun.

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Play action wont work against what I am speaking of especially out of the shotgun.

You're right, but the swing pass have been very effective for us this year. And, while you're taking Richardson out of the game, you've got to account for Mayfield and James Hill on the sides. Again, you can run a 4-3, but that leaves 4 men to handle deep and out routes, or under passes to the outside. I think if you start inching up in the box to take out KRich, you could open up the door for us to beat UMass on the sidelines. I know you said shut down the sidelines, but that's hard to do with 3-4 defenders, who have to lay off the receivers some to ensure they don't get beat across the middle. I think the best way to stop the Spread/ No-Huddle Offense is to get the Jacksonville Jaguars to give a clinic on how they always seem to stop the Colts.xlolx (I love watching a Manning lose...Mannings = :bawling:)

BrevardMountaineer03
December 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Okay, in theory stop KRich and you beat App is good, however, Armanti can run the option. We won't be the Carolina Panthers and run draws all day, if the middle isn't there, we'll run outside. If you stop both inside and outside runs, we will throw. Armanti lead the Southern Conference in passing efficeincy(not a good speller). So while we adjust our offensive game plan, UMass will have to adjust their defensive game plan, but we know what we are going to run, that leaves the Defense at a disadvantage. We can run or throw....I'm not saying this game is a blowout or that Appalachian is a lock to win the game, it will be tough to stop our offense.
No disrespect to the UMass offense, but I don't see Coen and Baylark running the option like Edwards and Richardson. That's not to say that they aren't good players, it's to say that Edwards adds an extra dimension to our attack.

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
You're right, but the swing pass have been very effective for us this year. And, while you're taking Richardson out of the game, you've got to account for Mayfield and James Hill on the sides. Again, you can run a 4-3, but that leaves 4 men to handle deep and out routes, or under passes to the outside. I think if you start inching up in the box to take out KRich, you could open up the door for us to beat UMass on the sidelines. I know you said shut down the sidelines, but that's hard to do with 3-4 defenders, who have to lay off the receivers some to ensure they don't get beat across the middle. I think the best way to stop the Spread/ No-Huddle Offense is to get the Jacksonville Jaguars to give a clinic on how they always seem to stop the Colts.xlolx (I love watching a Manning lose...Mannings = :bawling:)

Your defensive line could do it!

parr90
December 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Okay, in theory stop KRich and you beat App is good, however, Armanti can run the option. We won't be the Carolina Panthers and run draws all day, if the middle isn't there, we'll run outside. If you stop both inside and outside runs, we will throw. Armanti lead the Southern Conference in passing efficeincy(not a good speller). So while we adjust our offensive game plan, UMass will have to adjust their defensive game plan, but we know what we are going to run, that leaves the Defense at a disadvantage. We can run or throw....I'm not saying this game is a blowout or that Appalachian is a lock to win the game, it will be tough to stop our offense.
No disrespect to the UMass offense, but I don't see Coen and Baylark running the option like Edwards and Richardson. That's not to say that they aren't good players, it's to say that Edwards adds an extra dimension to our attack.

Your right but Edwards hasnt had to win yet with his feature back being shut out in a game.

Mr. C
December 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Your right but Edwards hasnt had to win yet with his feature back being shut out in a game.
The only teams successful in limiting Richardson this season were North Carolina State (14 carries, 34 yards) and Georgia Southern (21 carries, 65 yards). The NC State game featured Edwards only in mop-up duty and was probably the one game this year where the ASU offensively played poorly. In the Georgia Southern game, Edwards had about 350 yards of total offense and ASU still scored 27 points. The only reason that game was close was that Edwards made a truck load of turnovers that day. Stop Richardson and Edwards, Mayfield, Jackson or Bettis will bite you. They have a lot of weapons.

Wofford was the most successful team defensively against ASU. The Terriers used their option to control the clock in the second half and keep ASU off the field. Wofford actually shut the Mountaineers out for a half. But again, that game could have been more lopsided, but for ASU mistakes. There was a hold on the first play of the game that wiped out about a 60 or 70 yard play and Edwards had a couple of turnovers in the red zone. It was 14-0 at halftime, but could have been 31-0, or 35-0.

To beat ASU, you have to play ball control against that tough defense, you have to force a lot of turnovers and you have to hope that if you stunt and blitz on defense that Edwards doesn't read it well enough to turn things into big plays.

UMass has the best athletes and the best speed that ASU has faced all season. UMass is probably the best team the Mountaineers have faced in the past two years. Whether the Minutemen can pull off a win, we will all see on Friday night. It will be a challenge, as 21 I-AA/FCS teams in a row have found out.

parr90
December 12th, 2006, 06:04 AM
The only teams successful in limiting Richardson this season were North Carolina State (14 carries, 34 yards) and Georgia Southern (21 carries, 65 yards). The NC State game featured Edwards only in mop-up duty and was probably the one game this year where the ASU offensively played poorly. In the Georgia Southern game, Edwards had about 350 yards of total offense and ASU still scored 27 points. The only reason that game was close was that Edwards made a truck load of turnovers that day. Stop Richardson and Edwards, Mayfield, Jackson or Bettis will bite you. They have a lot of weapons.

Wofford was the most successful team defensively against ASU. The Terriers used their option to control the clock in the second half and keep ASU off the field. Wofford actually shut the Mountaineers out for a half. But again, that game could have been more lopsided, but for ASU mistakes. There was a hold on the first play of the game that wiped out about a 60 or 70 yard play and Edwards had a couple of turnovers in the red zone. It was 14-0 at halftime, but could have been 31-0, or 35-0.

To beat ASU, you have to play ball control against that tough defense, you have to force a lot of turnovers and you have to hope that if you stunt and blitz on defense that Edwards doesn't read it well enough to turn things into big plays.

UMass has the best athletes and the best speed that ASU has faced all season. UMass is probably the best team the Mountaineers have faced in the past two years. Whether the Minutemen can pull off a win, we will all see on Friday night. It will be a challenge, as 21 I-AA/FCS teams in a row have found out.

I blame GSU and poor tackling, poor play all year for that reason. I have played against many qb's like edwards and backs better than richardson. Defense wins championships.

Go Apps
December 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM
App is prone to Mistakes and big ones - the way to beat app is get the turnovers and get points out off of them and then make app get mad and start with the stupid penalities - they can be beat - UMASS looks very disciplined and I hope ASU can keep the above mentioned to a minimum

CSUBUCDAD
December 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
App St destroyed the top scoring defense in the country last week. No way UMass will stop the running game of App St from what I can see.

Griswold
December 12th, 2006, 07:47 AM
This is the kind of information I come here to read about. xcoffeex

Great thread! :nod:

BEAR
December 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM

No, No! The secret is to make them score less points than you! :nod:
...................:eek: xlolx

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Easier said than done. Let's see what happens if UMass tries. The way it usually works, Edwards has a field day running the ball when someone tries.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Your defensive line could do it!

I'd love for our D to have the chance. Let Jeremy Wiggins and Corey Lynch double down on Harrison all day and let Murrell get a couple of hits on Manning...I wish some DEs could get to him and clean his plow...how awesome would it be to see Julius Peppers get a free shot at Peyton Manning blindsided? Oh there is not enough money in the world to describe how much I'd pay to see that.

SouthernEagle02
December 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM
UMass only has to do two things to win Friday:
1) Take Richardson out of the game (not literally of course). As said numerous times on here already, you make him a non-factor and well App has a lot more 3 & outs when he is a non-factor. Reference YSU game after KR got hurt.
2) a-> Take the run option away from Edwards. I'm no Madden, but blitzing the middle could take care of that because I've watched in person & on TV the App games and I've seen that the O-line is stronger on the sides b/c when they don't give to KR, Edwards usually rolls out to a side to either throw or run. Force Edwards to throw because he can throw the safe out routes pretty well, but UMass must force him to complete the precicion passes into coverage. I'm not bashing here, but I haven't seen him complete many of those attempts.
b-> UMass must force fumbles in the game...period!!

Like I said, I'm no Madden but if we can play them to 2ot's and almost squeeze a win, there is no excuse for UMass not to do the same. One more thing. All KR and Edwards need are five yards. It's those first five from the line of scrimmage that makes them explosive. If UMass can control those first five yards they should sneak a win, if not well...let's just say I'll have to listen to the whole back to back crap for another year.

JohnStOnge
December 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM
App has a defense too.

eaglesrthe1
December 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM
App St destroyed the top scoring defense in the country last week. No way UMass will stop the running game of App St from what I can see.
The top scoring D is whats coming this week. YSU wasn't nowhere near the top.

rokamortis
December 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
App State is great but they are beatable. They have shown that they can be mistake prone at times. If UMass can shake Edwards up and slow down Richardson and take advantage of ASU's mistakes then the Minutemen have a great shot.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2006, 07:23 AM
From this fan's unbiased perspective, I would suggest there are at least 10 ways to beat ASU:

Play with 18 guys on the field at a time.
Use some kind of sorcery.
Hijack the team's bus on the way to Chattanooga.
When Richardson and Edwards are at the bottom of a pile, inject them with a powerful tranquilizer (aka 'the M*A*S*H play').
Replace UMass lineup with the 2004-2005 New England Patriots (It has to be the 04-05 team though. ASU beats a 9-4 Pats team by at least 7, IMHO).
Tell Coach Moore the game isn't until Saturday.
Before every play, point to the stands and yell "hey, is that somebody's attractive cousin?"
Convince the NCAA that Yosef is a culturally insensitive mascot and that the Mountaineers should be penalized by foreitting the Championship game.
Invoke the rarely-enforced NCAA rule 1743.19-C/III, which states that "team with largest band gets spotted 35 points."
Wear black pants, effectively forcing ASU to opt for their alternate "gay blue" pants.

So there you have it, from a perfectly objective standpoint. Do a couple of those things (I'd suggest doubling or tripling up just in case), and you MIGHT have a shot against ASU. :twocents:

WUTNDITWAA
December 13th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Play with 18 guys on the field at a time.

So far, that one hasn't worked.:flagged:

SoCon48
December 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
App State is great but they are beatable. They have shown that they can be mistake prone at times. If UMass can shake Edwards up and slow down Richardson and take advantage of ASU's mistakes then the Minutemen have a great shot.

Hell, if Edwards makes mistakes, it won't be because he is shaken up.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I hate to confuse the issue with facts... but YSU was hardly the "top scoring defense in country"... in fact YSU's defense is at best mediocre... the Pens gave up over 23 points a game this year.

UMass defense is far superior to YSU and they give up just 12 points a game.

YoUDeeMan
December 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM

YSU's D was the top scoring defense in the country, regardless of what anyone else says.*

*Disclaimer:
CSUBUCDAD gets his quantitative info from the same "inside" people who provided information about the WMDs in Iraq.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....:smiley_wi

Fordham
December 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM
No, No! The secret is to make them score less points than you! :nod:
...................:eek: xlolx
touche.

:thumbsup:

ncguitarplyr
December 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM
yeah actually umass has the #1 scoring defense in the country at 12.3 ppg
app is #8 with an avg of 14.7 ppg

but to be fair app has the #2 scoring offense in the country at 35.71 ppg (and thats behind non-scholly san diego so basically they're #1) and umass is at #21 with an avg of 28.29 ppg

and if you go by TOTAL defense umass and app are almost identical umass ranked at #14 app ranked at #15

APPST '93
December 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Which one is better Mason or Baylark? I would assume Mason since has was first team all-american and Baylark was on the second team. Did we have trouble with Mason? Nope.

As someone has mentioned, we were here last year and came out very tight to start the game. Our players should be far more relaxed and if UMASS comes out tight we will make sure they pay for it. If they come out lose it will be on hell of a game. :twocents:

SoCon48
December 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Stop their run. Now I know folks will say u cant stop it but you can. Defenses dont stop it because they are affraid of Edwards passing or running. Stop the run first and then worry about him. He can pass but he aint gonna beat you passing. He can run but he aint gonna beat you running himself. You smack richardson in the mouth and see what they do then. Ok

Kevin Richardson vs U Mass: 198 total yards, 4 TD's.
End of discussion.

And yes, he took some hits and gave em, too.

AppMan
December 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
All year the ASU fans have had to put up with how we were not as good as so-n-so, or how we were not a physical team, or how we couldn't make yards up the middle because Richardson wasn't tough, or how little our O-line was, or the freshman QB had't really been tested, and the excuses went on & on & on. Well folks the smoke has cleared and the Apps are once again sitting on top of the FCS (formerly known as 1-aa - don't you just love that!?) world. We beat everyone that was sent our way and beat 'em soundly. In the four plasyoff games our average score was 40-21. The Mountaineer offense averaged 467.50 yards per game TO - 313.75 on the ground & 166.25 in the air. Looks to me like we ran it pretty good! How good? Kevin Richardson averaged 153 yards per game and Armanti Edwards 118 yds on the ground and 154 in the air. Guess we have to beat Ohio State to get some respect.

DinoDex200
December 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Trick them into a game at 3:30...but don't tell them it's AM, not PM. Wait until they're asleep, move their beds onto the field...and then play the game. You can't lose. :)

HLecter
December 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM
All year the ASU fans have had to put up with how we were not as good as so-n-so, or how we were not a physical team, or how we couldn't make yards up the middle because Richardson wasn't tough, or how little our O-line was, or the freshman QB had't really been tested, and the excuses went on & on & on. Well folks the smoke has cleared and the Apps are once again sitting on top of the FCS (formerly known as 1-aa - don't you just love that!?) world. We beat everyone that was sent our way and beat 'em soundly. In the four plasyoff games our average score was 40-21. The Mountaineer offense averaged 467.50 yards per game TO - 313.75 on the ground & 166.25 in the air. Looks to me like we ran it pretty good! How good? Kevin Richardson averaged 153 yards per game and Armanti Edwards 118 yds on the ground and 154 in the air. Guess we have to beat Ohio State to get some respect.

I am assuming you are just venting from previous posts of this past season, I have certainly read nothing but respectful posts on here in the past two weeks.

SoCon48
December 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM

One of your better posts there, Doug.

JC

AppMan
December 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I am assuming you are just venting from previous posts of this past season, I have certainly read nothing but respectful posts on here in the past two weeks.

Yea, it is mostly due from the comments made during the regular season and first three playoff games. Couldn't understand why everone doubted the ability of this team. About 2/3 ways thru the regular season I came to the conclusion if this bunch played to their potential and didn't have any turnovers, nobody in 1-aa or FCS and few of the bottom half of 1-A could beat them. Yea, they are that good.

proasu89
December 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Yea, it is mostly due from the comments made during the regular season and first three playoff games. Couldn't understand why everone doubted the ability of this team. About 2/3 ways thru the regular season I came to the conclusion if this bunch played to their potential and didn't have any turnovers, nobody in 1-aa or FCS and few of the bottom half of 1-A could beat them. Yea, they are that good.
It's funny how when you beat teams as badly as we did this year the assumption is that it's beause of weak opponents. It was very frustrating to say the least. We played 12 of 15 games at a level of execution that very few teams achieve. With that being said, it sure was a lot of fun watching these young men come together and play like they did:hurray: Oh by the way, the coaching staff wasn't too bad either.

Black Saturday
December 18th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Amen!

Black Saturday
December 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Which board have you been reading Lec?