PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Unveils New Web Site

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
The SHSU athletic web site has recieved numerous design-related changes and has officially relaunched under the new design on http://www.gobearkats.com.

I've said it before. Why outsource? The folks in web development at Sam do a good job in answering the needs of the AD. Also, the athletic department understands that you need to have a web site that is a) informative and b) easy to find what you need.

For as much crap as people put up on sites about their web site, we have a professional look now coupled with an informative, accessible web site. You can't ask for much more. And we're not wasting away thousands of dollars yearly on CollegeSports and pointing that money to other needs.

TXST_CAT
July 6th, 2005, 12:28 AM
The SHSU athletic web site has recieved numerous design-related changes and has officially relaunched under the new design on http://www.gobearkats.com.

I've said it before. Why outsource? The folks in web development at Sam do a good job in answering the needs of the AD. Also, the athletic department understands that you need to have a web site that is a) informative and b) easy to find what you need.

For as much crap as people put up on sites about their web site, we have a professional look now coupled with an informative, accessible web site. You can't ask for much more. And we're not wasting away thousands of dollars yearly on CollegeSports and pointing that money to other needs.

Nice site but I still like this site better.
http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/
What can I say, I gues I'm bias.

DuckDuckGriz
July 6th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Very nice, I like the trophies at the top of the page and the way headlines don't dominate the whole thing. Some of it is a little bland right now but you can't expect too much out of a brand new site.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Nice site but I still like this site better.
http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/
What can I say, I gues I'm bias.

That site looks the same as all the others on the College Sports network. Why outsource when you can do it cheaper and just as accessible, if not more accessible local?

rokamortis
July 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
While I do agree with you terror - I have to say that the outsourced sites usually give a polished CMS. Is the new SH site dynamic or static content? It doesn't appear to be dynamic and if that is the case then your Sports Info guys are probably not as efficient as they could be.

Coastal has developed their own CMS for our athletic site - www.goccusports.com and I think the SID is very, very grateful to the IT dept for that. If what I heard is true, they were going to outsource if a CMS wasn't developed in house.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2005, 08:37 AM
That Coastal Carolina page is WAY too cluttered when you get down to the headlines. I've done a fair share of web development in my days, overseeing development of a page for one very large international organization for two years. I know a good web site when I see it. Never a big fan of JAVA/Flash opening pages and definitely not a fan of cluttered pages, as is the case with Coastal Carolina.

SHSU's web site is developed by IT folks. Then, it's updated for content by an SID. Unlike most Div I schools, we only have one SID and no other staff in that department, outside of gameday student assistants. He oversees each of the sports from football down to track and soccer. All schools in our conference atleast have two guys in their department. I see you guys have two FTers and an intern in your department.

The web site does it's job. Very accessible and it's easy to find what you need. It doesn't cost the $$$ that all these pay sites are dishing out. It's done simple enough for one person to control and make his job as easy as possible (as it's very well organized from looking at the directory scheme). If we had more people and could devote more attention to a web site, I'd expect a bit more, but why should we right now when we can't bust out all the stops?

rokamortis
July 6th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I guess if you want overtly simplistic web design and lacking information then SH site is the best in your view. I disagree, but that is why we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I wasn't offering the CCU site as a comparison or seeking your feedback about it - but looking to see if you guys have a CMS which would make the SID job a lot easier - regardless of how the directory structure is setup. I agree - Coastal's site isn't the best, but is better than what we had and it continues to be improved. I am not involved with the web design of the CCU site or the upkeep, but I do have friends that are.

I have done a fair amount of web design/development in my day as well - going on 7 years and I have to say that a consensus between developers is pretty hard to determine. It is like having two plastic surgeons comparing each other's patients, they are bound to find flaws in the other's work.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2005, 09:51 AM
SHSU's web site provides the information as you need it. It's easy to obtain what your looking for on that site without question. I think folks that frequent the site know their ways around and those who haven't don't have much problem either.

There's not enough time for the SID to do features and other things, so that's why it's not up there. You try being SID for all those sports (including I-AA football, Div I basketball, etc, etc) and then you'll realize there's not much time to add as much information as possible. Our SID does good for what cards he's been dealt. If we add another sport or two, it'll be tough and perhaps an Asst SID will be in the cards.

txstman
July 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Sorry man, but I have to say I do not fancy the new website all that much.

exbearkat
July 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Sorry man, but I have to say I do not fancy the new website all that much.
Trust me, it is MUCH better now than it was previously.

HPCAT
July 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM
SHSU's web site provides the information as you need it. It's easy to obtain what your looking for on that site without question. I think folks that frequent the site know their ways around and those who haven't don't have much problem either.

There's not enough time for the SID to do features and other things, so that's why it's not up there. You try being SID for all those sports (including I-AA football, Div I basketball, etc, etc) and then you'll realize there's not much time to add as much information as possible. Our SID does good for what cards he's been dealt. If we add another sport or two, it'll be tough and perhaps an Asst SID will be in the cards.

Just a suggestion, but if the SID did not waste so much time altering official SLC releases, and spent his/her time on more important matters, he/she might be a tad more efficient. :rolleyes: