PDA

View Full Version : How Far Would You Go?

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 01:35 PM
This is NOT smack.

A UMass fan has asked for this question, so here goes:

If your team was playing in a National Championship football game, would you travel 1,000+ miles to see it?

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Assuming personal/schedule conflicts and money weren't at issue? Yes, I would.

Unfortunately, even though I'm much much closer to Chattanooga than 1,000 miles, I won't be able to make it. I hope the UMass fans who do make it to Chatty represent us well, even though we'll be ridiculously outnumbered. Thank goodness the Power and Class is going to be there again--I like to think we played a role in '98.

ASUGirl703
December 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Well to watch App play in the championship game we are traveling 1,246 miles round trip. I live in Newport, NC so we are about as far from Chattanooga as you can be if you are in NC. Honestly, I think it depends on your personal dedication and also your ability to pick up and go somewhere on the spur of the moment. It depends a lot on your work schedule flexibility. But I think a true fan will be watching either way whether it's in person or on espn!!!!!

Griswold
December 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I did it last year for the Rose Bowl from TN.

Lucky enough to be in 'Nooga and 3 weeks later Pasadena! :nod:

Ivytalk
December 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM
"Soitanly!!" (cue the "Curly Shuffle")...:D

bandl
December 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Also depends on the airports near you. I have 3 major airports/airline hubs within an hour of me with just about every single airline to choose from, which means cost is not as much of a factor for me as it would be for someone from a locale that does not have any major airports.

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
"Soitanly!!" (cue the "Curly Shuffle")...:D

Unfortunately for Ivy fans the question is all too hypothetical. I'd love to see you guys have a shot someday, but I guess we all know by now not to hold our breath.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I'd cram into a bus (as I was planning on doing....:bawling: ) to see the NC game. Doesn't matter though...I'll make sure to hopefully get a window seat for the drive next season. xlolx

ncgriz
December 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM
My Griz family goes 2200 one way the past 11 times.

distance is secondary. your team makes it then go. The experience is great. and if you go be there Thursday and stay through Friday night.

winner or loser your team needs it's support.

NCGriz

VictorG
December 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Mileage isn't really the issue. In fact, it WASN'T! Turns out my wife was scheming with some so called "friends" for my Christmas present and 3 more points for the Griz would have found me traveling AND sharing a room with a PIG! :eek: :eek:

Although he's a pretty darn nice pig as long as he keeps his kilt down!xlolx xlolx :D :D

BillLuc1982
December 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
It's called an airplane!

Grizo406
December 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Mileage would not have been a problem for me. Had everything lined up to make the trip, and an opportunity for VictorG to increase his post count by telling all of AGS what a chick-magnet the Grizo was in Chattanooga.

Unfortunately, UMass showed up and changed our plans. Now we have to wait until next year to go, and I think we do do that.

MarkCCU
December 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
i'd try my best to make it. Charleston is kinda expensive to fly out of

JALMOND
December 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Portland State in the playoffs would be quite an event anywhere. I would go and see as many fellow AGS posters as I could, if possible. All we need is a chance.

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
WoW!! nearly unanimous so far!

YesAppCan
December 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I drove 900+ miles to get to Chattanooga last year.

65 Pard
December 11th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Turn the key in the motorhome and head out!.....still a pipe dream for little Lafayette.

AppGirl
December 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM
My family of four flew to Wyoming (actually, flew to Denver, reneted a car, THEN drove to Wyoming) for a regular season game. Yes, we could plan that further in advance. If we knew we had a chance to make it to the NC games, we'd plan, hope and pray for that chance. Get hotels booked early, cancel 'em if need be, and look for a good deal on a flight, but we'd be at the NC game, 1000+ miles or not.

GreatAppSt
December 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Wimps!:D I've driven 800 miles four times this season and 1400 once just for regular season games and the MSU playoff. last season I made five 800 milers to Boone. :eyebrow:
I'll be driving to Chatty from Delaware on Thursday morning, then on to Texas:hurray: on Saturday after the game. The move is finally on, take care Delaware it's been fun.:bow: :nod: :D :thumbsup:

BrevardMountaineer03
December 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I voted yes, but that's assuming I have the cash to do it, the time from work, and I won't be in debt for the rest of my life! Either way, Go App!

APPALACHIANstate
December 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Depends on how much time I had and what my schedule looked like, I suppose.

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM
still above 96%. WOW! :thumbsup:

AppGirl82
December 11th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I live in Raleigh, so going to each home game in Boone isn't a huge deal, but my parents have driven 12 hours each weekend for every home App. game (from Morehead City to Boone) and they also went to NCSU, Gardner Webb, and Georgia Southern. Needless to say...they'll be picking me up in Raleigh and driving a total of 24 hours this weekend for the NC game. GO APPS!

BigApp
December 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
damm...Morehead City to Statesboro is a haul!

ASUGirl703
December 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
damm...Morehead City to Statesboro is a haul!

Yeah I definitely agree with that!!! This weekend I get to go Boone to Morehead to Hickory to Chattanooga to Raleigh to Morehead. But heck if it's for Appalachian Football I don't even care haha!!!:nod:

Mountaineer#96
December 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I would go if I had a ticket...... :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :bawling:

GreatAppSt
December 12th, 2006, 01:21 AM
If you go you can get a ticket!:nod: :nod:

Mountaineer#96
December 12th, 2006, 01:25 AM
If you go you can get a ticket!:nod: :nod:

You confident enough to put your ticket on the line for that ! ;)

Mountaineer#96
December 12th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I am going regardless if we don't get tickets, b/c we got a expensive hotel room booked.

December 12th, 2006, 01:37 AM
If you go then you will get a ticket... we are talking about Chatty! They aim to please!!

crunifan
December 12th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Last year, three of my friends and I left at 3AM and drove 13 straight hours from Iowa to Chattanooga to see UNI play.

And I would do it again in an instant! Those people are the die-hards. I mean, hearing the car horns after someone passed you and seeing those Iowa license plates in Kentucky and Tennessee. Something I will always remember, even if I didn't like the outcome.

chattanoogamocs
December 12th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I only have to drive about 3 miles to get to the Championship game...but I would drive to Fairbanks, Alaska (8,210 miles roundtrip :)) if the Mocs ever made the Championship game!

OhioHen
December 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM
For the 2003 Championship, I used my final 1/2 day vacation to drive 5+ hours and arrived in time to be treated to some good old-fashioned UD tailgate fare with other Hen fans I had never met. Left right after the game ended to drive the 6+ hours (darn ice storm in Knoxville cost me over 45 minutes) home so my son could make it back for his 8:00 a.m. job interview.

UCABEARS75
December 12th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Quite simply, yes I would.

GreenDay17
December 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I would go to another country!!!

Of course Canada is only 90 miles from here.:D

Really, I would be there regardless of the location. It would be a heck of a lot easier with a little more lead time than 1 week though. Which reminds me - I have an idea (probably been heard before) for changing the playoff format. Will post some time next week (I'm sure you're all holding your breath on this one).