PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 Seeds

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I know there are others threads discussing the top 8 but it's the top 4 that really interests me. Those are the teams that are really in control of things in my opinion. It's huge to know that you potentially have two home games and with an upset on the other side of the bracket, you have a chance to play at home all the way to Frisco. As I see it, Jacksonville State is a lock with a win, McNeese State should be as well with a 10-0 mark and the 4-time defending champs and NDSU will be top 4 as well if they win and finish as MVC champs. That leaves one spot open and I think it's a pretty small pool of teams. Illinois State, SDSU, William and Mary are obvious ones with Coastal Carolina thrown in simply because of where they sit in the human polls. In my opinion, the Tribe should get the nod if they knock off Richmond. They will be the only one of the teams to win their conference's auto-bid and they would have a pretty impressive collection of wins. I also think it helps the committee set up the bracket in terms of regionalization. If JSU is the #1 and McNeese and NDSU get #2 and #3 in some order, it would be a no-brainer to put W&M/CCU in the 4/5 slot and then ISU/SDSU at 6/7. Throw Chatty in at #8 and there are bus rides galore if the home teams win. Just my 2 cents.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 08:31 AM
1) JSU
2) NDSU
3) McNeese State
4) SDSU
5) ISUr
6) W&M
7) Chatty
8) CCU/CSU (this one....I bet it is CCU, but that would be a screw job for CSU)

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I know there are others threads discussing the top 8 but it's the top 4 that really interests me. Those are the teams that are really in control of things in my opinion. It's huge to know that you potentially have two home games and with an upset on the other side of the bracket, you have a chance to play at home all the way to Frisco. As I see it, Jacksonville State is a lock with a win, McNeese State should be as well with a 10-0 mark and the 4-time defending champs and NDSU will be top 4 as well if they win and finish as MVC champs. That leaves one spot open and I think it's a pretty small pool of teams. Illinois State, SDSU, William and Mary are obvious ones with Coastal Carolina thrown in simply because of where they sit in the human polls. In my opinion, the Tribe should get the nod if they knock off Richmond. They will be the only one of the teams to win their conference's auto-bid and they would have a pretty impressive collection of wins. I also think it helps the committee set up the bracket in terms of regionalization. If JSU is the #1 and McNeese and NDSU get #2 and #3 in some order, it would be a no-brainer to put W&M/CCU in the 4/5 slot and then ISU/SDSU at 6/7. Throw Chatty in at #8 and there are bus rides galore if the home teams win. Just my 2 cents.

ISUr/SDSU > W&M and especially Coastal.

tribefan40
November 19th, 2015, 08:45 AM
ISUr/SDSU > W&M and especially Coastal.

I think you throw all three (ISUr, SDSU, W&M) in a bag and pick for seed order. The only one with any potential leg up is SDSU with an FBS win.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 08:53 AM
SDSU, provided they beat WIU, has a better collection of wins than William & Mary even if they beat Richmond IMO. SDSU would be somewhat weakened if SUU lost to NAU since SUU would likely not be a playoff team but if William & Mary beats Richmond they'd also put the Spiders firmly on the bubble.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I think you throw all three (ISUr, SDSU, W&M) in a bag and pick for seed order. The only one with any potential leg up is SDSU with an FBS win.

I would probably agree with that....my groups would be 1-3, 4-6, and 7/8.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2015, 09:27 AM
1. JSU
2. McNeese
3. NDSU
4. SDSU

I'm hoping NDSU gets the #2 seed if they beat Missouri State but I think the committee will reward a 10-0 McNeese team with the #2 spot.

kalm
November 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM
If PSU wins they should get the 6. They have the best win in FCS this year, two FBS wins, quality FCS wins against Montana, SUU, and EWU. The three MFVC teams would all have a slightly better SOS but PSU's at 20 is better than everyone else vying for a seed and markedly better than the two Big Souths.

The committee likes gaudy records so:

JSU
McNeese
SDSU
NDSU
ISUr
PSU
W&M
CSU
JMU, Chatty, or CCU

McNeese75
November 19th, 2015, 09:54 AM
1. JSU
2. McNeese
3. NDSU
4. SDSU

I'm hoping NDSU gets the #2 seed if they beat Missouri State but I think the committee will reward a 10-0 McNeese team with the #2 spot.

Not my wish xlolx but I guess we all have wishes and some of those will be granted come Sunday morning.

deez_na
November 19th, 2015, 09:56 AM
If PSU wins they should get the 6. They have the best win in FCS this year, two FBS wins, quality FCS wins against Montana, SUU, and EWU. The three MFVC teams would all have a slightly better SOS but PSU's at 20 is better than everyone else vying for a seed and markedly better than the two Big Souths.

The committee likes gaudy records so:

JSU
McNeese
SDSU
NDSU
ISUr
PSU
W&M
CSU
JMU, Chatty, or CCU

SDSU won't and shouldn't be above NDSU. Head to head should count with similar records and that game wasn't even close.

chattownmocs
November 19th, 2015, 09:56 AM
We play florida state this week, we've already basically waved the white flag on that game. We won't be seeded if everything goes to form this week.

McNeese72
November 19th, 2015, 10:17 AM
1. JSU
2. McNeese
3. NDSU
4. SDSU

Right now, all I want to do is beat Lamar. They want to beat us bad because it is a rivalry game, at least on their end. Nobody can replace USL in the Cowboy fans' minds but we will take care of that, first game next season. The Lamar game scares me.

If we beat Lamar, I'll take whatever the Selection Committee gives us.

Doc

Daytripper
November 19th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Right now, all I want to do is beat Lamar. They want to beat us bad because it is a rivalry game, at least on their end. Nobody can replace USL in the Cowboy fans' minds but we will take care of that, first game next season. The Lamar game scares me.

If we beat Lamar, I'll take whatever the Selection Committee gives us.

Doc

You might want to key on that Kade Harrington fellow. He's a player. And he is basically their whole offense.

Missingnumber7
November 19th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Not my wish xlolx but I guess we all have wishes and some of those will be granted come Sunday morning.

You aren't getting the 1 seed...no way no why no how.

kalm
November 19th, 2015, 10:30 AM
SDSU won't and shouldn't be above NDSU. Head to head should count with similar records and that game wasn't even close.

its totally debateable. As mentioned numerous times there's precedent for h2h being trumped by a better resume which SDSU clearly has.

we'll see.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2015, 10:33 AM
LOL....there aren't ANY McNeese fans suggesting that....

McNeese75
November 19th, 2015, 10:42 AM
You aren't getting the 1 seed...no way no why no how.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I forgot you know it all xcoffeex

Tune in Sunday morning for whatever reality will be.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM
its totally debateable. As mentioned numerous times there's precedent for h2h being trumped by a better resume which SDSU clearly has.

we'll see.
I don't see it as being clear in either direction. Both teams have equal quality wins IMO, you could give SDSU the "tie breaker" there with an FBS win. SDSU has better losses but NDSU has the head to head and the better conference record.

Gangtackle11
November 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM
1. Jacksonville State
2. McNeese State
3. NDSU
4. SDSU
5. Illinois State
6. William & Mary
7. Portland State
8. Charleston Southern

CCSU might get a seed, but I wouldn't.

Barring any upsets.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2015, 10:49 AM
I don't see it as being clear in either direction. Both teams have equal quality wins IMO, you could give SDSU the "tie breaker" there with an FBS win. SDSU has better losses but NDSU has the head to head and the better conference record.

This here. H2H and better conference record will most certainly place NDSU above SDSU. Plus NDSU won on the road in Brookings.....not that close of a game. Might matter to some on the committee.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2015, 10:54 AM

It will be an interesting FCS selection show....xthumbsupx

If the committee heavily weighs SOS, then I think NDSU will be #2. LSU cancelled game is McNeese's best friend....no loss on the record. Lamar will come to play but MSU is a better team and should/will win.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2015, 10:54 AM
1. JSU
2. McNeese
3. NDSU
4. SDSU

I agree I'm thinking unless something weird happens the last weekend this is how it will shake out.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I see it like this...as long as all the teams win....

1. JSU
2-3. McNeese or NDSU
4-6. ISUR, SDSU or W&M
7. PSU
8. CCU or CSU

Teams that could still get a seed with some help..JMU, Richmond and Chattanooga.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 10:57 AM

we'll see.

I don't think it is really debatable....SDSU is going to get knocked for not winning the conference and getting blown out at home.

If SUU loses I am not sure the Rabbits really have a better resume.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2015, 11:00 AM
It will be an interesting FCS selection show....xthumbsupx

If the committee heavily weighs SOS, then I think NDSU will be #2. LSU cancelled game is McNeese's best friend....no loss on the record. Lamar will come to play but MSU is a better team and should/will win.

JSU's loss to 5-5 Auburn isn't hurting them...

A well-played game against 7-2 LSU, who beat Auburn, would likely be treated the same way....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2015, 11:13 AM
JSU's loss to 5-5 Auburn isn't hurting them...

A well-played game against 7-2 LSU, who beat Auburn, would likely be treated the same way....

True. But that big zero after the number ten will look real good to the committee IMO.

But that is the only loss for JSU. If NDSU had only one loss (FCS loss), they would still be #1.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 11:18 AM
1. Jacksonville State
2. McNeese State
3. NDSU
4. SDSU
5. Illinois State
6. William & Mary
7. Portland State
8. Charleston Southern

CCSU might get a seed, but I wouldn't.

Barring any upsets.

If Central Connecticut gets a seed I'm going to be pissed :D

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I don't think it is really debatable....SDSU is going to get knocked for not winning the conference and getting blown out at home.

If SUU loses I am not sure the Rabbits really have a better resume.

As many have stated, winning the conference has not necessarily mattered in the past when it comes to seeding. Keep in mind who NDSU lost to. If Montana makes the playoffs, that one doesn't look so bad... but the USD loss at home is quite the blemish on NDSU's resume. Assuming both Montana and UNI make the playoffs, those losses are probably a wash. Where is SDSU's big blemish? Losing to one of the top 5 teams in the nation? Compare that to NDSU's loss... Factor in the FBS win, and I think that it is in fact debatable.

McNeese72
November 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
You might want to key on that Kade Harrington fellow. He's a player. And he is basically their whole offense.

Duh! I'm sure he has gotten D.C. Lance Guidry's attention. ;)

McNeese75
November 19th, 2015, 11:33 AM
True. But that big zero after the number ten will look real good to the committee IMO.

But that is the only loss for JSU. If NDSU had only one loss (FCS loss), they would still be #1.

If NDSU's only loss was to Montana, I agree, this would not even be up for discussion.

deez_na
November 19th, 2015, 11:34 AM
As many have stated, winning the conference has not necessarily mattered in the past when it comes to seeding. Keep in mind who NDSU lost to. If Montana makes the playoffs, that one doesn't look so bad... but the USD loss at home is quite the blemish on NDSU's resume. Assuming both Montana and UNI make the playoffs, those losses are probably a wash. Where is SDSU's big blemish? Losing to one of the top 5 teams in the nation? Compare that to NDSU's loss... Factor in the FBS win, and I think that it is in fact debatable.
Yes, they lost to a top 5 team who they are contending with for a seed. The loss was also at home and was a piss pounding and the committee will also see that. 9-2, 9-2. SDSU or NDSU? Tough choice however the head to head waffle stomping that took place on the road should make a decent difference.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 11:49 AM

I think it matters more then people think, especially when NDSU holds a head to head thumping.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Yes, they lost to a top 5 team who they are contending with for a seed. The loss was also at home and was a piss pounding and the committee will also see that. 9-2, 9-2. SDSU or NDSU? Tough choice however the head to head waffle stomping that took place on the road should make a decent difference.

You guys sure like to talk about that win against SDSU, but you don't like to talk about your loss against USD at home or the fact that SDSU has an FBS win and you don't... One could contend that if NDSU had scheduled an FBS game this year instead of a cupcake, they would probably be 8-3. Then what? xrotatehx Also, when you don't even play all of the tops teams in your own conference, how much does the conference standing really mean?

Please understand that I'm bringing these things up for good banter and helping you realize that there really is a case for SDSU to be seeded higher than NDSU. But I also realize that NDSU has a case too. Even ISUr has a case for the top seed.

steelbison
November 19th, 2015, 11:58 AM

we'll see.

Better resume? They were beaten by NDSU at home handily. They were also beaten by UNI a team NDSU beat. How would that give them a better resume?

jacksfan29
November 19th, 2015, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=deez_na;2288015]Yes, they lost to a top 5 team who they are contending with for a seed. The loss was also at home and was a piss pounding and the committee will also see that. 9-2, 9-2. SDSU or NDSU? Tough choice however the head to head waffle stomping that took place on the road should make a decent difference.[/QUOTE

I've come to the conclusion that we won't know till the seeds are set:).

Ask me two weeks ago if an undefeated McNeese gets the 2 and I would have said hell no. Today? I think it is JSU 1, McNeese 2. I actually think the Brawl of the Wild will determine the 3 seed. If MSU win, UM will be out of the playoffs. That would leave NDSU with 2 FCS losses. Both losses would be to non-playoff teams. That happens, there is a possibility NDSU fall to a 5 - 8 seed. That would leave the 3 seed to ISUr or W&M. I still think SDSU screwed up their top 4 shot with the loss to UNI.

Or the committee could screw everything up and put UTC or CCU into a top 4 slot. Who the heck knows... All I know, we need to beat WIU Saturday to get a seed.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I remember when people said losing to ISUB would derail our seed hopes. People make too much out of losses. Quality wins and conference titles matter so much more. NDSU will not be any worse than a #4 seed.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2015, 12:14 PM

I'd like to hear Lance's speech before the game!

jacksfan29
November 19th, 2015, 12:14 PM
The ISUb loss was the only one you had that season plus you had a FBS win over CSU. Big difference.

The USD loss at home was a bad loss. You can pretend all you want that it wasn't, it was.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 12:16 PM
You guys sure like to talk about that win against SDSU, but you don't like to talk about your loss against USD at home or the fact that SDSU has an FBS win and you don't... One could contend that if NDSU had scheduled an FBS game this year instead of a cupcake, they would probably be 8-3. Then what? xrotatehx Also, when you don't even play all of the tops teams in your own conference, how much does the conference standing really mean?

Please understand that I'm bringing these things up for good banter and helping you realize that there really is a case for SDSU to be seeded higher than NDSU. But I also realize that NDSU has a case too. Even ISUr has a case for the top seed.
I agree that SDSU has a case as does NDSU. I think when either side of the argument says it's "clear" that either SDSU or NDSU should be above the other they're wrong. It just comes down to what the committee values more. Quality of wins are about equal, perhaps a slight edge to SDSU for an FBS win (even though I'd argue that's about SDSU's 4th best win). Conference record is just a slight edge to NDSU because they played SIU instead of ISUr like SDSU did so that one game difference isn't as big as it looks. Where there's clear differentiators comes down to quality of losses, which SDSU is clearly better in, or head-to-head, which NDSU is clearly better in. What does the committee value more; avoiding bad losses or head-to-head results? That's what it really comes down to.

McNeese72
November 19th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I'd like to hear Lance's speech before the game!

A new version of the "Let's go get our damn trophy!!" speech???? I wonder if Matt ever lets Lance give pregame speeches to the whole team. I know Lance probably has something to say to the defense.

Doc

deez_na
November 19th, 2015, 12:53 PM
People act like NDSU lost to a 1-9 team when they mention South Dakota being a horrific loss. They are 5-5 in the MVC and almost had SDSU. Don't act like this SD team is the same garbage team from past years. They have a decent team this year.

Jackal
November 19th, 2015, 12:58 PM
People act like NDSU lost to a 1-9 team when they mention South Dakota being a horrific loss. They are 5-5 in the MVC and almost had SDSU. Don't act like this SD team is the same garbage team from past years. They have a decent team this year.
The other USD wins are : the worse team in the Big Sky, the worse 2 teams in the Valley, and a 4 win Drake team. It was a very bad loss.....deal with it.

Jackal
November 19th, 2015, 01:01 PM
I agree that SDSU has a case as does NDSU. I think when either side of the argument says it's "clear" that either SDSU or NDSU should be above the other they're wrong. It just comes down to what the committee values more. Quality of wins are about equal, perhaps a slight edge to SDSU for an FBS win (even though I'd argue that's about SDSU's 4th best win). Conference record is just a slight edge to NDSU because they played SIU instead of ISUr like SDSU did so that one game difference isn't as big as it looks. Where there's clear differentiators comes down to quality of losses, which SDSU is clearly better in, or head-to-head, which NDSU is clearly better in. What does the committee value more; avoiding bad losses or head-to-head results? That's what it really comes down to.
I think that's fair. IMHO, i would value head-to-head more than bad losses.

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2015, 01:02 PM
The other USD wins are : the worse team in the Big Sky, the worse 2 teams in the Valley, and a 4 win Drake team. It was a very bad loss.....deal with it.

Dude, you're forgetting the NDSU factor. They have no bad losses, or even real losses. Only games they played poorly or were being charitable to the other team.

Jackal
November 19th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Dude, you're forgetting the NDSU factor. They have no bad losses, or even real losses. Only games they played poorly or were being charitable to the other team.
I heard it was a gift to Joe Glenn because he's such a nice guy,but i wasn't sure.

deez_na
November 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM

My bad, you win. SD sucks and NDSU never waffle stomped SDSU on their turf. Got ya.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Sagarin rates USD 3 spots behind the Kansas team that some SDSU fans champion as their trump card win. USD is 138 and KU is 135.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I wish Dom hadn't placed NDSU 2nd in his bracket. If they don't get the 2nd seed every NDSU fan outside of this board is going to think we got screwed. IMO, NDSU, SDSU, ISU, and MSU all have arguments to that spot and I would be fine which ever direction they go.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 01:14 PM
In no particular order, if no one loses the top 4 will be 4 of these 5 teams:
JSU
McNeese
NDSU
SDSU
ISUr

The only one I think is set in stone with a win is JSU because they've been #1 most of the season, McNeese and NDSU will likely by 2 and 3 in some order because McNeese is undefeated and NDSU is NDSU, SDSU and ISUr both have big cases for #4 it will just come down to, as others have said, committee preference.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 01:43 PM
My bad, you win. SD sucks and NDSU never waffle stomped SDSU on their turf. Got ya.

Lol, no one ever said that NDSU didn't beat SDSU. Sounds like you're a bit insecure about NDSU's resume, and you know you can hang your hat on that one, so that's all you want to talk about.

*This is all tongue in cheek. I'm just poking the bear (or bison) at this point.

deez_na
November 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Lol, no one ever said that NDSU didn't beat SDSU. Sounds like you're a bit insecure about NDSU's resume, and you know you can hang your hat on that one, so that's all you want to talk about.

*This is all tongue in cheek. I'm just poking the bear (or bison) at this point.

No i just think 2 teams with same losses that the head to head is a bigger key than the losses

jacksfan29
November 19th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Actually they are 3-4 in conference play, soon to be 3-5. They are 5-5 overall, soon to be 5-6.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 01:58 PM
No i just think 2 teams with same losses that the head to head is a bigger key than the losses

That's the problem though... "2 teams with same losses"... you are viewing NDSU's 2 losses the same as SDSU's 2 losses. That is obviously not the case. I'm not going to drag this argument out on here, because it has been played enough already. Thank God we'll know the seeding on Sunday.

JimmyJack
November 19th, 2015, 02:08 PM

I think I agree with this.

JayJ79
November 19th, 2015, 02:10 PM
1. Sunflower seeds
2. Poppy seed (muffins)
3. Pumpkin seeds
4. Sesame seeds

deez_na
November 19th, 2015, 02:23 PM
1. Sunflower seeds
2. Poppy seed (muffins)
3. Pumpkin seeds
4. Sesame seeds
That's Total BS!!! Sesame Seeds is definitely #2!!

Jackal
November 19th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Sagarin rates USD 3 spots behind the Kansas team that some SDSU fans champion as their trump card win. USD is 138 and KU is 135.
Well there ya go. You can champion USD as your trump card win.Oh wait.....

BTW, where does Sagarin rate NDSU in comparison to USD?

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Well there ya go. You can champion USD as your trump card win.Oh wait.....

BTW, where does Sagarin rate NDSU in comparison to USD?
You know the answer to that. You want to know where Sagarin rates NDSU in comparison to SDSU? ;)

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM
You know the answer to that. You want to know where Sagarin rates NDSU in comparison to SDSU? ;)
I know where Sagarin rates them both in comparison to us...

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/kitfisto92/GIFS/WHY.gif

Jackal
November 19th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Sagarin is always accurate! lol

I just want Bison fans to admit that USD was a very bad loss. Say it with me, "USD was a very bad loss". You can do it!

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 02:57 PM

I just want Bison fans to admit that USD was a very bad loss. Say it with me, "USD was a very bad loss". You can do it!
I've said USD was a bad loss for NDSU from back when it first happened. I wavered on it ever so briefly last week to the point where if they would've beaten SDSU I would've changed my tune. I just thought it was ironic that USD is basically on the same level in a respected computer rating like Sagarin that the Kansas team is that SDSU was so giddy about beating. I'd guarantee that none of you would be claiming KU was a bad loss had they come all the way back to beat SDSU.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM

It was a bad loss. Not sure anyone ever denied that.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 03:06 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Fu88bpJ.gif

:D

jacksfan29
November 19th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Kansas may stink but they are FBS. And I don't think anyone at SDSU are "giddy" about the win. It got the FBS monkey off our back, I think that's all most of us cared about.

And I think the person making the most noise about that win, and the implications of it, works at a TV station in Fargo. Dom somebody...

I've said USD was a bad loss for NDSU from back when it first happened. I wavered on it ever so briefly last week to the point where if they would've beaten SDSU I would've changed my tune. I just thought it was ironic that USD is basically on the same level in a respected computer rating like Sagarin that the Kansas team is that SDSU was so giddy about beating. I'd guarantee that none of you would be claiming KU was a bad loss had they come all the way back to beat SDSU.

bisonboone11
November 19th, 2015, 03:09 PM

Is Montana the "cupcake" you are referring to? I would venture a guess that Montana would give Kansas a heck of a game. From the looks of it, SDSU had the real cupcake in the bunch (Robert Morris). Do you think SDSU's non-conference schedule was more difficult than NDSU's?

I'm not saying SDSU (or ISU-r for that matter) doesn't have a case for a higher seed than NDSU. Just continuing the friendly banter. xthumbsupx

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Kansas may stink but they are FBS. And I don't think anyone at SDSU are "giddy" about the win. It got the FBS monkey off our back, I think that's all most of us cared about.

And I think the person making the most noise about that win, and the implications of it, works at a TV station in Fargo. Dom somebody...

Dom loves FBS wins and of course trolling NDSU fans about UND making the playoffs(see their WYO win).

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Reality. NDSU will be seeded above SDSU. With as close as it is so you really think the committee will not give the nod to the defending 4x's national champs. I don't necessarily like it but that's reality. Even if NDSU had a loss to a FBS they would most likely be seeded able SDSU, just off reputation. If it comes down to an argument that could go either way, you go with the proven commodity. Why wouldn't you if its that close?

chattanoogamocs
November 19th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I see it like this...as long as all the teams win....

1. JSU
2-3. McNeese or NDSU
4-6. ISUR, SDSU or W&M
7. PSU
8. CCU or CSU

Teams that could still get a seed with some help..JMU, Richmond and Chattanooga.

I agree, I think Chattanooga is on the wrong side of the seed fence right now, someone (or two someone's) need to lose on Saturday for UTC to make the top 8.

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Is Montana the "cupcake" you are referring to? I would venture a guess that Montana would give Kansas a heck of a game. From the looks of it, SDSU had the real cupcake in the bunch (Robert Morris). Do you think SDSU's non-conference schedule was more difficult than NDSU's?

I'm not saying SDSU (or ISU-r for that matter) doesn't have a case for a higher seed than NDSU. Just continuing the friendly banter. xthumbsupx

I was talking about UND when I said cupcake... lol, for real though, when things happen like both teams not having an FBS game and both teams not playing ISUr... situations like this are going to come up where it's tough to determine who's on top of the other. It will be interesting to see how the committee views it, but it would be more interesting to see their reasoning behind it.

LeeshaJo
November 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Can I say this (and I would guess that all SDSU fans feel the same or similar) I don't care what our seed number is, as long as we get seeded and don't get fed into NDSU. Beyond that, best case (in my mind) would be for the the three expected seeds from the MVFC to end up... #2, #3 and #4 or 5 with UNI fed into the #1 vs #8 pairing :)

Mayville Bison
November 19th, 2015, 03:27 PM
That's the problem though... "2 teams with same losses"... you are viewing NDSU's 2 losses the same as SDSU's 2 losses. That is obviously not the case. I'm not going to drag this argument out on here, because it has been played enough already. Thank God we'll know the seeding on Sunday.

The worst loss out of the 4 though is SDSU losing to NDSU because that's who SDSU is trying to climb over. You can say h2h gets trumped by a "bad loss", but that again works against SDSU.

h2h>resume - order is NDSU, SDSU, ISUr
resume>h2h - order is ISUr, SDSU, NDSU

LeeshaJo
November 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM
The worst loss out of the 4 though is SDSU losing to NDSU because that's who SDSU is trying to climb over. You can say h2h gets trumped by a "bad loss", but that again works against SDSU.

So what you are saying is they cancel each other out and SDSU gets the higher seed? ;)

Mayville Bison
November 19th, 2015, 03:29 PM

You are 100% correct - Any home loss is a very bad loss for a potential seed

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Can I say this (and I would guess that all SDSU fans feel the same or similar) I don't care what our seed number is, as long as we get seeded and don't get fed into NDSU. Beyond that, best case (in my mind) would be for the the three expected seeds from the MVFC to end up... #2, #3 and #4 or 5 with UNI fed into the #1 vs #8 pairing :)

Agreed, I'm hoping for the 4 seed at worst, host until the semis, then head to Jacksonville.

I got excited for a second there about a possible flight/vacation down to Florida for that game... that thought quickly faded as I googled Jacksonville State. xlolx

Mayville Bison
November 19th, 2015, 03:33 PM
So what you are saying is they cancel each other out and SDSU gets the higher seed? ;)

First thing I thought of was Dan Cole's "You're the best of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best!"

LeeshaJo
November 19th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Agreed, I'm hoping for the 4 seed at worst, host until the semis, then head to Jacksonville.

I got excited for a second there about a possible flight/vacation down to Florida for that game... that thought quickly faded as I googled Jacksonville State. xlolx

I have LOVED this fall, it doesn't even feel like winter. I am sure that will change tomorrow, but yeah, Florida would be fun But Alabama wouldn't be bad :) not that I would get to go to either.

LeeshaJo
November 19th, 2015, 03:37 PM
First thing I thought of was Dan Cole's "You're the best of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best!"

Ah come on...lol we are not Lousy. For some reason the Bison get in our player's heads. I honestly think we are pretty equal teams and we just keep laying eggs. I wouldn't mind another shot at the Bison, but would like to play different teams for a change.

ming01
November 19th, 2015, 03:45 PM
1. Jsu
2. Msu
3. Ndsu
4. W&M
5. ISU
6. SDSU
7.CSU
8. PSU
-JMU, CCU

CappinHard
November 19th, 2015, 03:48 PM
1. Jsu
2. Msu
3. Ndsu
4. W&M
5. ISU
6. SDSU
7.CSU
8. PSU
-JMU, CCU

Bill and Mary above ISUr and SDSU? ISUr above SDSU? Oh now you're just straight up trolling...

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I honestly never thought twice about NDSU v SDSU. 4x defending champs, MVC champs again and H2H win. That's enough to get the nod. I'm amazed people don't give the Tribe more of a shot at #4. With a win over Richmond (no gimme) they would come in with seven straight wins, including 5 over the rest of the top half of the conference. They had a shot to win on the final drive against a solid UVA team that took ND to the wire and lost on a final play FG against Delaware. Outright CAA champs, seven straight wins and 9-1 in FCS games plus a better regional matchup with JSU gets them the #4, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Rabbits just don't lose to WIU...If that happens we all know what will happen for the 3rd time.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 04:03 PM

I don't doubt it. Dom Izzo is his name. He's an excitable guy that's prone to exaggeration but he's one of the best in the business, if not the best, when it comes to following the FCS as a whole.

Drblankstare
November 19th, 2015, 04:05 PM
It wouldn't shock me that the committee looks at the losses and all the close games and seeds NDSU 4 or 5. Not saying it would be the right, but it wouldn't shock me.

Drblankstare
November 19th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I don't doubt it. Dom Izzo is his name. He's an excitable guy that's prone to exaggeration but he's one of the best in the business, if not the best, when it comes to following the FCS as a whole.

agreed. He is one of the best, and I think his comments about the Kansas win were more about fostering some discussion and not so much a shot at the Jacks.

WMTribe90
November 19th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Agree with the original poster, I'm not sure why WM is seemingly out of the discussion for a top 4 seed. We have two road losses. One by six points to UVA and another by one point to UD. Since then we have rattled off six straight wins and are 5-0 against teams that were in the top 25 of AGS when we played. We played an FBS (BCS) and 10 full-scholarship FCS programs. We beat four teams that are either locks or potential playoff teams heading into the final week (Towson, UNH, JMU, Villanova). If we beat UR (big IF), we should be right in the conversation.

The CAA is still easily one of the top conferences in the country and the outright winner of the CAA (9-2, 7-1) is deserving of a seed. Take into account the regional aspect, and a seeded WM would certainly help balance the top 4 seeds by region.

I'm honestly not sold on McNeese St as a lock for a seed. Yes, they are undefeated. Had they played LSU that'd be 9-1, possibly headed toward 10-1. Would there 10-1 be better than WM's 9-2? Debatable. If you look at SOS, GPI, Sagarin, etc. WM is a head of McNeese in virtually every category.

SOS, WM-48 McNeese-78
GPI, WM-5 McNeese-6
Sag, WM-97 McNeese-105

All that said, if all the teams at the top win, I think WM deserves a 5 seed behind JSU, NDSU, ISUr, and SDSU. It also wouldn't surprise me to see the committee select WM as a 4 seed due to regional considerations and WM being the undisputed/sole CAA conference champ.

Okay, that's enough if and buts for now, need to handle some business first on Saturday!

Rollbird5
November 19th, 2015, 06:10 PM
1. Jacksonville state
2. ISUr
3. NDSU
4. SDSU

jacksfan29
November 19th, 2015, 06:17 PM
1. Jacksonville state
2. ISUr
3. NDSU
4. SDSU

In a perfect world, yes (with SDSU at 2xthumbsupx); the FCS playoffs are not a perfect world. If it were, there would be no such thing as regionalization.

gregatim
November 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM
SDSU's biggest issue is that they finished 3rd in their conference. No way they get the highest MVFC seed IMO having finished behind not 1, but two teams in their own conference. I just hope the committee doesn't use that as an excuse to leave them unseeded much less seed over both NDSU and ISUr. My dream bracket is:

2: NDSU
4: SDSU/ISUr
5: SDSU/ISUr
UNI regionalized into 1 or 4 bracket

ming01
November 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM
W&M should be top 5 if they win. As for the MVC, I do not see the committee putting them all in a row. (3,4,5, or whatever)

ming01
November 19th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Bill and Mary above ISUr and SDSU? ISUr above SDSU? Oh now you're just straight up trolling...

Completely serious

Redbird 13
November 19th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I'm not expecting much on Sunday. We shared the MVFC crown last year and got a five seed with a 10-1 record. It worked out fine as the Redbirds rolled the four seed and found a way to beat New Hampshire. I'm not expecting much this time around either. Probably the six, maybe five at best. Any seed is a good seed as it gives Tre Roberson another week to heal the thumb. That's more important to me than anything else.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I'm not expecting much on Sunday. We shared the MVFC crown last year and got a five seed with a 10-1 record. It worked out fine as the Redbirds rolled the four seed and found a way to beat New Hampshire. I'm not expecting much this time around either. Probably the six, maybe five at best. Any seed is a good seed as it gives Tre Roberson another week to heal the thumb. That's more important to me than anything else.

My fingers are crossed that both SDSU and ISUr are 4/5...and NDSU is a #2 again. :D

Redbird 13
November 19th, 2015, 06:51 PM
My fingers are crossed that both SDSU and ISUr are 4/5...and NDSU is a #2 again. :D

Might happen. If it does, I hope UNI goes to South Dakota this time around. I'd take my chances after those two teams beat each other up.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Might happen. If it does, I hope UNI goes to South Dakota this time around. I'd take my chances after those two teams beat each other up.

At that point, I hope UNI is headed to SDSU too. :D

#NoValleytilltheNatty xlolx

Redbird 13
November 19th, 2015, 06:55 PM
At that point, I hope UNI is headed to SDSU too. :D

#NoValleytilltheNatty xlolx

Haha bastard! xlolx Damn you, Youngstown State!

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Haha bastard! xlolx Damn you, Youngstown State!

Don't hate the player....hate the game. :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2015, 07:03 PM

He has been battling this for quite awhile now. Is it close to being 100%?

Southern Bison
November 19th, 2015, 07:08 PM
My expectations:

1. Jax St. - obvious #1 with only loss where Auburn had to rally to get it to OT.

2. NDSU - earns toughest conf. title w/win on Saturday, 4x FCS champs, & won 5 straight to finish. Both losses with 5 seconds left. Let's face it, the NCAA wants full stadiums for the playoffs and knows the Bison fans will show up.

#3 McNeese - SOS hurts them due to cancelled LSU game & weaker SLC this year.

#4 W&M - The winner of the #2-toughest conf. at 9-2. Strong season finish after last-second FG vs. Delaware. All predicated on win vs. UR on Saturday.

#5 SDSU
#6 ISU-R
#7 BSC winner
#8 Toss-up amongst a few teams...at the bar & tired of thinking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kalm
November 19th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Agree with the original poster, I'm not sure why WM is seemingly out of the discussion for a top 4 seed. We have two road losses. One by six points to UVA and another by one point to UD. Since then we have rattled off six straight wins and are 5-0 against teams that were in the top 25 of AGS when we played. We played an FBS (BCS) and 10 full-scholarship FCS programs. We beat four teams that are either locks or potential playoff teams heading into the final week (Towson, UNH, JMU, Villanova). If we beat UR (big IF), we should be right in the conversation.

The CAA is still easily one of the top conferences in the country and the outright winner of the CAA (9-2, 7-1) is deserving of a seed. Take into account the regional aspect, and a seeded WM would certainly help balance the top 4 seeds by region.

I'm honestly not sold on McNeese St as a lock for a seed. Yes, they are undefeated. Had they played LSU that'd be 9-1, possibly headed toward 10-1. Would there 10-1 be better than WM's 9-2? Debatable. If you look at SOS, GPI, Sagarin, etc. WM is a head of McNeese in virtually every category.

SOS, WM-48 McNeese-78
GPI, WM-5 McNeese-6
Sag, WM-97 McNeese-105

All that said, if all the teams at the top win, I think WM deserves a 5 seed behind JSU, NDSU, ISUr, and SDSU. It also wouldn't surprise me to see the committee select WM as a 4 seed due to regional considerations and WM being the undisputed/sole CAA conference champ.

Okay, that's enough if and buts for now, need to handle some business first on Saturday!

The winning streak is great and the quality wins are decent. The CAA is indeed a good conference but it still trails the Big Sky and SoCon and is WAY behind the MVFC in Sagarin.

I think it will be tough to overcome the Dakotas given the SOS. You really need JMU to come through and give you that one really good win as you will sully Richmond's value a bit. You also need UNH and Towson to take care of business. If that happens you have a decent shot at overtaking ISUr.

I still can't believe no one is giving PSU more love here.

SDSU: KU, SUU, ISUr
NDSU: Montana, UND, UNI, SDSU
ISUr: EIU, UNI
PSU: WSU, NTEX, Montana, EWU, SUU

Redbird 13
November 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM
He has been battling this for quite awhile now. Is it close to being 100%?

Spack indicates he's getting close, but he just hasn't looked very good throwing the football. I'll feel good if he returns to the form that made him a dangerous dual-threat.

JaxSinfonian
November 19th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I have LOVED this fall, it doesn't even feel like winter. I am sure that will change tomorrow, but yeah, Florida would be fun But Alabama wouldn't be bad :) not that I would get to go to either.

Our low temp Saturday should be somewhere around 10 degrees warmer than your high temp. Might be a little colder come December, but I imagine it would still be a welcome change for anyone making the trip from Brookings. If the bracket works out you should find a way to come.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 08:41 PM
A shame SDSU doesn't have their old stadium for the playoffs, that place is a frozen wasteland this time of year. Makes Missoula look like a tropical paradise. I would love to see a southern team come up there and play them on the tundra.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM
A shame SDSU doesn't have their old stadium for the playoffs, that place is a frozen wasteland this time of year. Makes Missoula look like a tropical paradise. I would love to see a southern team come up there and play them on the tundra.

Howard Wood isn't going to be any better....except they won't have to contend with the grass like at CAS.

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2015, 09:03 PM

Yep. There are more than a few teams that it mentally wrecked. And many of them weren't that southern. ISUr and EIU come to mind.

Rabbit3467
November 19th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Better resume? They were beaten by NDSU at home handily. They were also beaten by UNI a team NDSU beat. How would that give them a better resume?

This is my favorite bison quote.. its almost like SDSU beating USD, right? FFS, NDSU beat UNI with how many seconds left? NDSU will be seeded higher, who cares. Just let the idiots on the selection committee for once put us on opposite sides of the bracket and see what happens.

bisonboone11
November 19th, 2015, 11:01 PM
This is my favorite bison quote.. its almost like SDSU beating USD, right? FFS, NDSU beat UNI with how many seconds left? NDSU will be seeded higher, who cares. Just let the idiots on the selection committee for once put us on opposite sides of the bracket and see what happens.
35 seconds... Which is coincidentally the same amount of time that was on the clock when NDSU scored the go ahead TD against YSU... It is also more than 10 times as much time that was left on the clock in the 2 games NDSU has lost combined (if I recall correctly).

dewey
November 19th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Just let the idiots on the selection committee for once put us on opposite sides of the bracket and see what happens.

Agreed!

Dewey

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Well there has been some interesting discussion in this thread. Also some rather goofy homer brackets (only missing "the Missouri Valley deserves all eight seeds!"). Relax guys, you will get three good seeds. Just maybe not the ones you are expecting. So assuming the usual suspects win this weekend here is what you'll learn on Sunday:

1/2 Jacksonville St. & McNeese State.
3/4 North Dakota State & William & Mary
5 South Dakota State
6/7 Illinois State & Portland State
8 Coastal Carolina

Where I'm hedging, the first name is likely to be the higher seed but maybe not.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Well there has been some interesting discussion in this thread. Also some rather goofy homer brackets (only missing "the Missouri Valley deserves all eight seeds!"). Relax guys, you will get three good seeds. Just maybe not the ones you are expecting. So assuming the usual suspects win this weekend here is what you'll learn on Sunday:

1/2 Jacksonville St. & McNeese State.
3/4 North Dakota State & William & Mary
5 South Dakota State
6/7 Illinois State & Portland State
8 Coastal Carolina

Where I'm hedging, the first name is likely to be the higher seed but maybe not.

Please explain what Coastal has done to deserve a seed?

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM
The surprise seed could be JMU, if they can win on Saturday.

But there is no way CSU is getting jumped by CCU now.

herd13
November 19th, 2015, 11:43 PM

Then we come full circle and realize NDSU beat SDSU, SDSU beat ISUr, NDSU beat UNI, UNI beat SDSU, USD beat NDSU, SDSU beat USD, etc etc etc. My point is you can make a completely valid argument depending on what color glasses you are wearing. That's without putting ISUr in the mix! It's just one of those years.

My bet is NDSU is 3(who knows) and Mcneese is 2 but what do I know. I think the MVFC deserves to be 2, 3, 4 or 3,4,5 depending on where they put Mcneese but it just doesn't seem like the committee would do that but I don't really have an explanation.

I completely echo SDSU not playing NDSU in the second round again! Last year you guys could have made a long run and almost beat NDSU regardless.

If NDSU drops below 2-3 I won't argue. We should have beat USD. I don't care if they weren't "horrible" we still should have won and I'm not gonna make excuses over that one. On what planet is that not a bad loss? I'm still a bit embarrassed thinking back on that one.

Take my comments for what they're worth being a "new guy" around here. I guess what I'm trying to say is Sunday morning will be fun!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2015, 11:59 PM
With Coastal losing, I believe JMU gets a seed if (big if) they beat Villanova on Saturday. Even with the Big South title and no FCS losses, the D2 game on Chuck South's schedule looms large. JMU will have no bad losses and a FBS win. Other computer rankings will support it as well. I also believe W&M is deserving of a top four seed. Assuming no upsets:

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. ISU
4. W&M
5. McNeese
6. SDSU
7. PSU
8. JMU

Note the regionalization. It sucks, but it is as big a factor as resumes.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Please explain what Coastal has done to deserve a seed?

They have a pretty good record, their school name begins with a "C", and they are not in the MVFC (ie... they're another east coast team).

BisonTru
November 20th, 2015, 12:11 AM
They have a pretty good record, their school name begins with a "C", and they are not in the MVFC (ie... they're another east coast team).

Solid argument. If I could just find a team that fits all that criteria, maybe even undefeated against the FCS opponents.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2015, 12:15 AM
Note the regionalization. It sucks, but it is as big a factor as resumes.

There is nothing that says the committee needs nor does regionalize the seeds. Regionalization is for first and second round pairings.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Solid argument. If I could just find a team that fits all that criteria, maybe even undefeated against the FCS opponents.

You're welcome. I am here to help.

Just off the top of my head could we also try...
Chattanooga (that is damn sure east coast to me), Charleston So (nice town, definitely east coast), or that NY school... Cornell (that is in New York isn't it?).
There is bound to be some other prospects too. So if these don't work perhaps we could make another list to provide the committee.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 20th, 2015, 12:26 AM
1. JSU
2. McNeese
3. NDSU
4. Bill and Mary
5. SDSU
6. PSU
7. ISUr
8. CSU

BisonTru
November 20th, 2015, 12:31 AM

Chattanooga (that is damn sure east coast to me), Charleston So (nice town, definitely east coast), or that NY school... Cornell (that is in New York isn't it?).
There is bound to be some other prospects too. So if these don't work perhaps we could make another list to provide the committee.

What about Bethune-Cookman their second name starts with a C, plus they have a shiny record?

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2015, 01:04 AM

Carvard, Cayton, Cichmond

dgtw
November 20th, 2015, 04:31 AM

Is he related to Ron Guidry?

FormerPokeCenter
November 20th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Determining Louisiana parentage is always an iffy proposition. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that they're cousins...

Ron Guidry is from Lafayette, Louisiana, and Lance Guidry is from Welsh, about 30 miles away...

The problem with that is that in that part of the world, Guidry is the cajun version of Smith, Jones or Patel.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2015, 08:36 AM
If NDSU drops below 2-3 I won't argue. We should have beat USD. I don't care if they weren't "horrible" we still should have won and I'm not gonna make excuses over that one. On what planet is that not a bad loss? I'm still a bit embarrassed thinking back on that one.
Yep, my thoughts exactly on that USD game and it's potential to cause NDSU to drop below a 2 or 3 seed.

jacksfan29
November 20th, 2015, 09:11 AM
1. JSU
2. McNeese
3. NDSU
4. Bill and Mary
5. SDSU
6. PSU
7. ISUr
8. CSU

Now you've done it, the ISUr fans will be on here shortly...

Mayville Bison
November 20th, 2015, 09:20 AM
In a perfect world, yes (with SDSU at 2xthumbsupx); the FCS playoffs are not a perfect world. If it were, there would be no such thing as regionalization.

I'd rather be 4 in that case than 2 or 3

REALBird
November 20th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Now you've done it, the ISUr fans will be on here shortly...

Meh.......it's all subjective and based on how they finish.

1.) JSU
2.) NDSU
3.) McNeese
4.) ISUr
5.) William & Mary
6.) Chattanooga
7.) PSU
8.) CSU

SDSU misses a seed after losing at WIU. Chuck South retains a seed after losing to Bama. Chattanooga sneaks into #6.
If all plays out then my regionalization bracket comes out to:

#1 JSU
#8 Chuck South

#4 ISUr
#5 W&M

#3 McNeese
#6 Chattanooga

#2 NDSU
#7 PSU

Bisonator
November 20th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Then we come full circle and realize NDSU beat SDSU, SDSU beat ISUr, NDSU beat UNI, UNI beat SDSU, USD beat NDSU, SDSU beat USD, etc etc etc. My point is you can make a completely valid argument depending on what color glasses you are wearing. That's without putting ISUr in the mix! It's just one of those years.

My bet is NDSU is 3(who knows) and Mcneese is 2 but what do I know. I think the MVFC deserves to be 2, 3, 4 or 3,4,5 depending on where they put Mcneese but it just doesn't seem like the committee would do that but I don't really have an explanation.

I completely echo SDSU not playing NDSU in the second round again! Last year you guys could have made a long run and almost beat NDSU regardless.

Take my comments for what they're worth being a "new guy" around here. I guess what I'm trying to say is Sunday morning will be fun!

Spot on newby!xthumbsupx

THE HERD
November 20th, 2015, 10:41 AM

I totally agree with you that it was a bad loss.....one of the worst in program history, but that still won't get you seeded higher than NDSU. They will value the conference title and head to head. This is not smack talk, but I have a strong gut feeling that the Leathernecks get a win this Saturday....it won't shock me either way who wins that one, but I'm think the Necks come out play loose and pull out the W.

Bisonator
November 20th, 2015, 10:53 AM

It was beyond bad. It was a horrible loss because of the way NDSU played, uninspired and pathetic. That doesn't take anything away from USD though. They played hard and deserved to win. That same USD team took SDSU to the final minute as well. In fact USD had more rushing yards, more total yards and more first downs in that game then SDSU and led 20-10 in the 4th quarter. Congrats to SDSU for finding a way to win it though.

Thundar
November 20th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Reality. NDSU will be seeded above SDSU. With as close as it is so you really think the committee will not give the nod to the defending 4x's national champs. I don't necessarily like it but that's reality. Even if NDSU had a loss to a FBS they would most likely be seeded able SDSU, just off reputation. If it comes down to an argument that could go either way, you go with the proven commodity. Why wouldn't you if its that close?

the proven commodity that kicked the s?!&t out ofthe other on their home turf most certainly would/should be higher

McNeese72
November 20th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Is he related to Ron Guidry?

Not that I know of. A lot of Guidry's in south Louisiana.

Doc

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2015, 05:00 PM
It was beyond bad. It was a horrible loss because of the way NDSU played, uninspired and pathetic. That doesn't take anything away from USD though. They played hard and deserved to win. That same USD team took SDSU to the final minute as well. In fact USD had more rushing yards, more total yards and more first downs in that game then SDSU and led 20-10 in the 4th quarter. Congrats to SDSU for finding a way to win it though.

Taking SDSU to the final minute is a bit much. Sure they threw a Hail Mary at the end, but that really isn't taking them to the final minute. State completely dominated the 4th, and were in control from the second TD pass by Lujan on.

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2015, 05:04 PM
the proven commodity that kicked the s?!&t out ofthe other on their home turf most certainly would/should be higher

Look, that point has even argued into the ground and I'm sick of it. I would be shocked if SDSU gets a seed higher than NDSU, but really the only thing over SDSU's resume that NDSU has is that W and the fact that they came out on top in a very close game with UNI and SDSU didn't. Otherwise SDSU has looked much more dominate consistently through the conference schedule, beat ISUr, beat the tar out of the Big Sky front runners, and won their FBS game. I'm not saying the head to head shouldn't be a large factor, but one game doesn't make a season either.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2015, 05:17 PM
No offense Jacks but that SUU win doesn't mean much to me, on par with us pounding UND I guess. SUU has beaten nobody...they got a very favorable conference schedule.

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2015, 05:56 PM
That's fair, but for the committee that win looks great.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 20th, 2015, 06:05 PM

So are you going to cheer for the BISON when you move to Fargo?

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2015, 06:06 PM
So are you going to cheer for the BISON when you move to Fargo?

Does a Packers fan cheer for the Vikings just cause he moves to the twin cities?

FargoBison
November 20th, 2015, 06:09 PM

Well it will as long as SUU wins on Saturday.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 20th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Does a Packers fan cheer for the Vikings just cause he moves to the twin cities?

Both my wife and I used to live in South Dakota and now cheer for the BISON. My wife's cousin was even a coach for SDSU. We live in Fargo now. My wife was wearing her BISON gear in Sioux Falls last weekend. She said there was BISON gear everywhere she went in Sioux Falls.

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2015, 12:26 AM
Both my wife and I used to live in South Dakota and now cheer for the BISON. My wife's cousin was even a coach for SDSU. We live in Fargo now. My wife was wearing her BISON gear in Sioux Falls last weekend. She said there was BISON gear everywhere she went in Sioux Falls.

Well, you can count me as Blue and Yellow through and through. I saw a Bison shirt at a gas station. I saw and still see Jacks stuff everywhere here. It's most likely like when you buy a new car. All of a sudden you see them everywhere. You tend to see what you want. I do definitely see some Bison gear from time to time, but to act like you are taking over SD is a bit much. More like the NDSU grads here are buying more swag with the recent success.

Also, where I grew up being a team jumper was the most low of the low, so certainly won't see me switching teams anytime soon. I'll stop following college football before I stop cheering for the Jacks.

Theee Catrabbit
November 21st, 2015, 12:02 PM

Well....there you have it, Thumper. You have to change now, this guy and his wife said so. We cant help it if everybody from ND has to come through here to get drugs up to the oil fields, they can still wear their gear......

herd13
November 21st, 2015, 01:23 PM
Well....there you have it, Thumper. You have to change now, this guy and his wife said so. We cant help it if everybody from ND has to come through here to get drugs up to the oil fields, they can still wear their gear......

In all fairness most of the drugs are coming through Montana to the oil fields. I watched a news special about it the other day. They are way more likely to be Big Sky fans.... Just saying, hahaha.

rokamortis
November 21st, 2015, 02:21 PM
So, is The Citadel now in discussion for a top 4 seed?

gotts
November 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM

No.

FormerPokeCenter
November 21st, 2015, 02:40 PM

C'mon.....SC is 3-8. At least Auburn's been playing .500 football.

rokamortis
November 21st, 2015, 02:48 PM
C'mon.....SC is 3-8. At least Auburn's been playing .500 football.

It is still an SEC school and they actually won it - not just played them close.

gotts
November 21st, 2015, 03:10 PM
It is still an SEC school and they actually won it - not just played them close.

One game does not a season make. Body of work shows a playoff team, though.

dewey
November 21st, 2015, 03:16 PM
One game does not a season make. Body of work shows a playoff team, though.

The Citadel lost big early to Georgia Southern, to Charleston Southern and Chattanooga. Now way they are a top 4 seed. Top 8...myabe. I do not intend to take anything from their big win over South Carolina but I think the body of work doesn't warrant a top 4 seed.

Dewey

rokamortis
November 21st, 2015, 03:28 PM
The Citadel lost big early to Georgia Southern, to Charleston Southern and Chattanooga. Now way they are a top 4 seed. Top 8...myabe. I do not intend to take anything from their big win over South Carolina but I think the body of work doesn't warrant a top 4 seed.

Dewey

Exactly. They have losses to an FBS team, which i keep hearing are ignored, losses to 2 FCS conference champions and playoff teams, a co-championship of their league - and an SEC win, better than some other teams in discussion.

dewey
November 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
Exactly. They have losses to an FBS team, which i keep hearing are ignored, losses to 2 FCS conference champions and playoff teams, a co-championship of their league - and an SEC win, better than some other teams in discussion.

Very true but the lack of quality wins except the South Colina win is still a factor. Part of that is not there fault as their conference is not as loaded as other conferences.

I still think the top 8 seeds are for sure...
Jacksonville State
NDSU
SDSU
Illinois State
McNeese State
Richmond

In the hunt
William & Mary
James Madison
Portland State
Southern Utah
Charleston Southern but they need teams above them to lose.

Dewey

rokamortis
November 21st, 2015, 03:43 PM
Very true but the lack of quality wins except the South Colina win is still a factor. Part of that is not there fault as their conference is not as loaded as other conferences.

I still think the top 8 seeds are for sure...
Jacksonville State
NDSU
SDSU
Illinois State
McNeese State
Richmond

In the hunt
William & Mary
James Madison
Portland State
Southern Utah
Charleston Southern but they need teams above them to lose.

Dewey

The Citadel has a better resume than a number of schools on your list. We'll just have to see what the committee chooses tomorrow.

RollBirds
November 21st, 2015, 03:47 PM
1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. McNeese
4. ILSTU
5. SDSU
6. PSU
7. Richmond
8. JMU

Bisonwinagn
November 21st, 2015, 04:24 PM
The Citadel has a better resume than a number of schools on your list. We'll just have to see what the committee chooses tomorrow.

Umm at least wait until the games are over?

CappinHard
November 21st, 2015, 04:24 PM
She said there was BISON gear everywhere she went in Sioux Falls.

Lol, blatant exaggeration.

Also, the fact that you feel the need to capitalize bison is...
well a lot of things, but mostly just sad.

Loyl2u
November 21st, 2015, 04:58 PM
Statement game by Redbirds 46-0 over the South Dakota team that beat NDSU. As everybody likes to say, one game doesn't make a season, the 9-2 Birds lost to FBS #5 Iowa that nobody in FCS and a five point loss to FCS top five SDSU on the road. NDSU loses to Montana and South Dakota, SDSU has loss to UNI and loss to NDSU.

Put out em in bag, shake em up and all three should be 2, 3, 4 seeds today if they all win.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2015, 05:33 PM
Statement game by Redbirds 46-0 over the South Dakota team that beat NDSU. As everybody likes to say, one game doesn't make a season, the 9-2 Birds lost to FBS #5 Iowa that nobody in FCS and a five point loss to FCS top five SDSU on the road. NDSU loses to Montana and South Dakota, SDSU has loss to UNI and loss to NDSU.

Put out em in bag, shake em up and all three should be 2, 3, 4 seeds today if they all win.

SDSU is on the brink of losing. WIU is up 17-10, with the ball in the redzone, 6 min left in the 4th qtr.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 21st, 2015, 06:15 PM

What happened today?

mmiller_34
November 21st, 2015, 06:17 PM
SDSU won't get a seed. Will be sent somewhere in sure

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 21st, 2015, 06:21 PM
William and Mary looked like a small team. They didn't look very good today.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 21st, 2015, 06:24 PM

Funny thing is Watertwon stores carry more BISON clothing compared to SDSU clothing. One store manager told me they hardly ever sell SDSU clothing but sell a lot of BISON clothing.

mmiller_34
November 21st, 2015, 06:32 PM
Funny thing is Watertwon stores carry more BISON clothing compared to SDSU clothing. One store manager told me they hardly ever sell SDSU clothing but sell a lot of BISON clothing.

Because people are idiots and board bandwagons without thought or pride of anything.

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2015, 06:37 PM
What happened today?

We lost

bisonboone11
November 21st, 2015, 06:39 PM
Rabbits just don't lose to WIU...If that happens we all know what will happen for the 3rd time.
Well......
Thanks a lot rabbits.

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2015, 06:44 PM

Must be gospel truth.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 21st, 2015, 06:50 PM
Must be gospel truth.

I used to live in Watertown. Still visit family there.

jmufan999
November 21st, 2015, 07:09 PM
Well......
Thanks a lot rabbits.

absolutely... thanks a lot!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2015, 07:19 PM
SDSU won't get a seed. Will be sent somewhere in sure

With William & Mary losing also, I think the Jacks might still get a 7 or 8 seed.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 21st, 2015, 07:22 PM
With William & Mary losing also, I think the Jacks might still get a 7 or 8 seed.
If UNI wins SDSU will be 5th in the MVFC. Doubt a 5th place team gets a seed.

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2015, 07:23 PM

I think you're crazy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2015, 07:28 PM
If UNI wins SDSU will be 5th in the MVFC. Doubt a 5th place team gets a seed.

Never know. We'll see.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2015, 07:45 PM
My thoughts right now...

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. McNeese
4. ISUR
5. PSU
6. Richmond
7. JMU
8. CSU?

That last spot seems like a total toss up thanks to SDSU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 21st, 2015, 07:48 PM
I don't give a crap where we are in the Top 8, just give us Top 8.

Bisonwinagn
November 21st, 2015, 08:04 PM
My thoughts right now...

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. McNeese
4. ISUR
5. PSU
6. Richmond
7. JMU
8. CSU?

That last spot seems like a total toss up thanks to SDSU.

I think CSU at 7 just like Coastal was last year.

Schism55
November 21st, 2015, 08:08 PM
Selection show is 11 a.m. ET on ESPNU?

No_Skill
November 21st, 2015, 08:10 PM
Selection show is 11 a.m. ET on ESPNU?

Yes..........

uni88
November 21st, 2015, 08:13 PM

Time to throw some more gas on the Valley fire ...

Now that SDSU is out of running for top seeded Valley team, who will it be? NDSU and ISUr didn't play each other so H2H is out. Who has the better resume? Both are co-champions with NDSU getting the AQ.

OOC, NDSU beat Weber State and North Dakota. ISUr beat Morgan State and EIU. ND and EIU are of a similar standing with NDSU's victory over ND being more convincing. Weber State is a better win than Morgan State. Advantage - NDSU.

NDSU lost to Montana (7-4) and South Dakota (5-6). ISUr lost to Iowa (11-0) and SDSU (8-3). Iowa and SDSU are better losses than Montana and SD. Advantage - ISUr.

So who is it going to be?

Mayville Bison
November 21st, 2015, 08:16 PM
Time to throw some more gas on the Valley fire ...

Now that SDSU is out of running for top seeded Valley team, who will it be? NDSU and ISUr didn't play each other so H2H is out. Who has the better resume? Both are co-champions with NDSU getting the AQ.

OOC, NDSU beat Weber State and North Dakota. ISUr beat Morgan State and EIU. ND and EIU are of a similar standing with NDSU's victory over ND being more convincing. Weber State is a better win than Morgan State. Advantage - NDSU.

NDSU lost to Montana (7-4) and South Dakota (5-6). ISUr lost to Iowa (11-0) and SDSU (8-3). Iowa and SDSU are better losses than Montana and SD. Advantage - ISUr.

So who is it going to be?

If the committee asks who did you lose to, ISUr will be 3 and NDSU 4.

If they ask who is your best win, flip it.

I'd hate to be the committee this year.

Edit - I think if it's a combo of the two, ISUr should get the nod but I think NDSU gets it due to their history.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2015, 08:18 PM
I don't see SDSU as out of the conversation for a seed. They're going to have to seed at least 2 8-3 teams unless they seed both CCU and CSU (and it's possible they seed neither). That leaves a bunch of 8-3 teams like SDSU, JMU, Richmond, William & Mary, The Citadel, and Chattanooga at that 8-3 mark. I think SDSU has just as good of a shot as any of those teams. It's going to be really interesting to see the 6-8 seeds.

seattlespider
November 21st, 2015, 08:24 PM
I'll take a stab at it:

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. PSU
4. ISUR
5. Richmond
6. McNeese
7. JMU
8. SUU

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2015, 08:27 PM
I'll take a stab at it:

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. PSU
4. ISUR
5. Richmond
6. McNeese
7. JMU
8. SUU
This illustrates my point perfectly that SDSU is still very much in the conversation for a seed. Do you give SUU the seed over SDSU even though they both finished 8-3 and SDSU beat SUU by 45 head-to-head? Very tough to answer yes to that question IMO.

REALBird
November 21st, 2015, 08:28 PM
1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. McNeese
4. ISUr
5. PSU
6. Richmond
7. CSU
8. SUU

FargoBison
November 21st, 2015, 08:38 PM
SUU's best win is against NAU...a non-playoff team. SDSU beat them by about billion points, in what world should they get an 8 seed, they are a product of being in a massive conference.

Schism55
November 21st, 2015, 08:39 PM
1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. McNeese
4. ISUr
5. PSU
6. Richmond
7. CSU
8. SUU
This looks right to my eyes.

melloware13
November 21st, 2015, 08:57 PM
As of now, this is my stab:
1. JSU
2. McNeese St
3. NDSU
4. Il St
5. PSU
6. JMU
7. CSU
8. The Citadel

Loyl2u
November 21st, 2015, 09:03 PM
If the committee asks who did you lose to, ISUr will be 3 and NDSU 4.

If they ask who is your best win, flip it.

I'd hate to be the committee this year.

Edit - I think if it's a combo of the two, ISUr should get the nod but I think NDSU gets it due to their history. A 7-4 EIU team with a loss to BT Northwestern, FCS #1 Jacksonville State, ISUr and MVFC 3rd place WIU is comparable to NDU 7-4 who has 4 FCS losses to NDSU, Idaho state, Weber State and Montana.... I don't think so !!!

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2015, 09:15 PM
A 7-4 EIU team with a loss to BT Northwestern, FCS #1 Jacksonville State, ISUr and MVFC 3rd place WIU is comparable to NDU 7-4 who has 4 FCS losses to NDSU, Idaho state, Weber State and Montana.... I don't think so !!!

I think wins are more important to the committee than good or bad losses. Wyoming and Portland State wins for UND are better than EKU win for EIU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 21st, 2015, 09:17 PM
1. JSU
2. McNeese St
3. NDSU
4. Il St
5. PSU
6. JMU
7. CSU
8. The Citadel

The CAA AQ with the H2H win has to be ahead, no?

RootinFerDukes
November 21st, 2015, 09:20 PM
So what're jmu's chances of a seed? I think 9-2 in the CAA with an fbs win, no bad losses, 2-2 after losing your star QB plus all the other weaknesses elsewhere in the field should be good enough for at least a 7/8 seed

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2015, 09:22 PM
A 7-4 EIU team with a loss to BT Northwestern, FCS #1 Jacksonville State, ISUr and MVFC 3rd place WIU is comparable to NDU 7-4 who has 4 FCS losses to NDSU, Idaho state, Weber State and Montana.... I don't think so !!!
Interesting that you choose to look at the teams EIU and UND have lost to when comparing them rather than the teams they've beaten. ;)

Loyl2u
November 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM
I think wins are more important to the committee than good or bad losses. Wyoming and Portland State wins for UND are better than EKU win for EIU.
So they won't seed Jacksonville State #1 because of their lack of good wins????

dwtime
November 21st, 2015, 09:30 PM
1. JSU
2. McNeese St
3. NDSU
4. Il St
5. PSU
6. JMU
7. CSU
8. The Citadel

Not bad but I'd replace JMU with Richmond the conference auto seed and replace Citadel with Coastal. Coastal beat a team from the vaunted MVC, an MVC team that Northern Iowa and SDSU couldn't beat.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2015, 09:30 PM
Here's my top 8:

1. Jacksonville St
2. McNeese St
3. North Dakota St
4. Illinois St
5. Portland St
6. Charleston Southern
7. South Dakota St
8. Richmond

JMU just on the outside looking in. Lack of any outstanding wins (no wins against likely playoff teams) is what kept them out for me whereas my 6-8 teams all have at least 2 wins against playoff teams.

dwtime
November 21st, 2015, 09:35 PM
So what're jmu's chances of a seed? I think 9-2 in the CAA with an fbs win, no bad losses, 2-2 after losing your star QB plus all the other weaknesses elsewhere in the field should be good enough for at least a 7/8 seed

Not in my book but I thought they did well this season, I don't see an 8-3 team being a top 8 seed other than Richmond as the autoseed and the top CAA seed.

dwtime
November 21st, 2015, 09:56 PM
Not in my book but I thought they did well this season, I don't see an 8-3 team being a top 8 seed other than Richmond as the autoseed and the top CAA seed.

Oops I thought JMU was 8-3, nevermind. I'm still not sure they are an 8 seed they don't feel like a strong 9-2 team.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2015, 09:59 PM
Not bad but I'd replace JMU with Richmond the conference auto seed and replace Citadel with Coastal. Coastal beat a team from the vaunted MVC, an MVC team that Northern Iowa and SDSU couldn't beat.

and then CCU lost to 2 weak teams.

dewey
November 21st, 2015, 11:02 PM
and then CCU lost to 2 weak teams.

I wouldn't call Charleston Southern a weak team. However Coastal Carolina struggled in a lot of their games and did not have a quality win other than Western Illinois which is barely a top 25 team.

Dewey

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2015, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't call Charleston Southern a weak team. However Coastal Carolina struggled in a lot of their games and did not have a quality win other than Western Illinois which is barely a top 25 team.

Dewey

I forgor the squeaked out Monmouth and Presby

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 04:28 AM
Here's my top 8:

1. Jacksonville St
2. McNeese St
3. North Dakota St
4. Illinois St
5. Portland St
6. Charleston Southern
7. South Dakota St
8. Richmond

JMU just on the outside looking in. Lack of any outstanding wins (no wins against likely playoff teams) is what kept them out for me whereas my 6-8 teams all have at least 2 wins against playoff teams.

An fbs win doesn't count as an outstanding win? Really? I know smu is bad but it should count for something. You're on the road with a 22 scholarship disadvantage and often don't get favorable calls from officials.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 06:30 AM
An fbs win doesn't count as an outstanding win? Really? I know smu is bad but it should count for something. You're on the road with a 22 scholarship disadvantage and often don't get favorable calls from officials.
It counts for something, just not outstanding IMO. I thought CSU, SDSU, and Richmond each had two wins more impressive than JMU's SMU win. And I'm not including Kansas, another marginal FBS team, in those outstanding wins for SDSU.

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 06:34 AM
It counts for something, just not outstanding IMO. I thought CSU, SDSU, and Richmond each had two wins more impressive than JMU's SMU win. And I'm not including Kansas, another marginal FBS team, in those outstanding wins for SDSU.

A top big south win is equivalent to a midrange CAA win. There's no way CSU looks better. Literally none. We also beat two bubble teams in Towson and Villanova.
So outside of maybe Kansas state, none of ndsu's fbs wins in the last decade are worthwhile? You all have been beating a series of bad fbs teams.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 06:44 AM
A top big south win is equivalent to a midrange CAA win. There's no way CSU looks better. Literally none. We also beat two bubble teams in Towson and Villanova.
So outside of maybe Kansas state, none of ndsu's fbs wins in the last decade are worthwhile? You all have been beating a series of bad fbs teams.
True, but CSU beat two bona fide playoff teams in CCU and The Citadel. Some of my MVFC brethren also love to use the "Team X from [insert weaker conference] who's elite in that conference would be a middle of the pack MVFC team" but I think that's incredibly subjective unless there's some direct comparisons between that Team X and said middle of the pack conference teams. I don't believe the selection committee should stoop to the level of subjectivity except in obvious cases (like 9-2 BCU would have a losing conference record in the MVFC/CAA).

Oh, and every year since 2011, except for K State in 2013, I'd argue that NDSU had at least one FCS win (in some years multiple FCS wins) more impressive than their FBS win that year.

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 07:25 AM
Good points as always professor chaos.

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2015, 07:43 AM

Except that the entire CAA was midrange. This is not the CAA of old. The Big South is improved.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know if they releasing the top 4 seeds a half hour before the selection show airs like they have the past couple years?

wmmii
November 22nd, 2015, 08:15 AM
Here's my top 8:

1. Jacksonville St
2. North Dakota St
3. Portland St
4. McNeese St
5. Illinois St
6. Charleston Southern
7. Richmond
8. Chatty

SDSU loss gets them out as does Tribe. JMU lost to both Richmond and Tribe.

JSU02
November 22nd, 2015, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know if they releasing the top 4 seeds a half hour before the selection show airs like they have the past couple years?

Yes
https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/668436961766543360

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 08:38 AM
I'll go..

1. Jacksonville State
2. NDSU
3. Portland State
4. McNeese State

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
Except that the entire CAA was midrange. This is not the CAA of old. The Big South is improved.

The big south is not better than the CAA and will only get worse when ccu leaves. Please stop. You won't win that argument.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
Should be out in any minute...