PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 12

ElCid
November 15th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Power Rankings
1) Chattanooga - Got er done; played nearly perfect in the first half against the Dogs
2) The Citadel - got behind quick but stuck to it; agressive D, red zone problems and untimely fumble did them in
3) Western Carolina - looked very good against A&M
4) Samford - the sleeper awakens
5) Mercer - Finally finding ways to win, can they continue?
6) Wofford - powerhouse O but weak pass D
7) VMI - they relaxed and hopefully got Cobb healthy again
8) Furman - they have finally reached the bottom

Predictions
The Citadel @ USC- Do I think we can beat them? Absolutely; but they are an SEC team who, while losing a lot lately, have kept their games close so I think the Dogs will be ovematched; we needed to play perfect to beat UTC, we didn't; we will not only need to play perfect to have any hope against the Cocks, we will need some balls to bounce our way as well - 38-24
WCU @ VMI - Even if WCU wins big they will remain just outside of the playoff bubble teams; and winning big on the road is not assured with a healthy Cobb back - 42-27
UTC @ Fla St- The Mocs are in and they don't really have a chance; they play for pride and try not to have any injuries; 45-17
Samford @ Mercer - The winner gets a winning season as well; Mercer is on a roll but Samford may be back - 34-24
Furman @ Wofford - Wofford's O appears to be on track, but their D continues to stumble, but that's not a problem against Furman - 24-17

catamount man
November 15th, 2015, 12:23 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) The Citadel
3) Western Carolina
4) Mercer
5) Samford
6) Wofford
7) Furman
8) VMI

The Citadel 31 South Carolina 28 (I am dead serious)
WCU 31 VMI 20 (Cobb will keep VMI in it)
FSU 45 UTC 10 (Huesman rests starters in 2nd half, FSU does the same for Florida game)
Mercer 27 Samford 20 (Georgia Baptists beat the Alabama Baptists)
Wofford 24 Furman 10 (depends who wants it more)

GO CATS!!!

CID1990
November 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM
25 years ago we played UTC and USC in back to back games.

1990 was the year we really started to break out enroute to the 1992 season where we beat Arkansas, Army, and went into the playoffs seeded and ranked #1 nationally.

In 1990 we lost to UTC and beat USC

let's hope lightning strikes twice but Im not betting on it-

USC 28
El Cid 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2015, 01:02 PM

1990 was the year we really started to break out enroute to the 1992 season where we beat Arkansas, Army, and went into the playoffs seeded and ranked #1 nationally.

USC 28
El Cid 17

I remember that year well. I was at Fork Union and we went down to play your JVs the week after you beat Marshall. David Dowd was the HC at CSU and he came over to scout and talk to a bunch of us. He sold hard, but all I could think was,they will never win any games as a start up program....so I went to Chattanooga instead, where we won 10 games (it just took us 3 years to do it!!!).

OL FU
November 15th, 2015, 06:05 PM

USC 28
El Cid 17

beat USC. Something we can agree on-:)

ElCid
November 15th, 2015, 08:04 PM

USC 28
El Cid 17

The game will be on SEC2 channel at 1200 for those who get it. Down here in Georgia everyone has it. I will record it just in case the stars and planets align perfectly and our boys play their best game of the year and we catch the Cocks looking forward to Clemson.

bonarae
November 16th, 2015, 12:15 AM
South Carolina
Western Carolina
Florida State
Samford
Wofford
ETSU (hopefully, against a weak D-II)

CID1990
November 16th, 2015, 12:21 AM
beat USC. Something we can agree on-:)

I think we can also agree that furmen sucks

OL FU
November 16th, 2015, 04:51 AM
I think we can also agree that furmen sucks

If you put football between furman and sucks;)

The Cats
November 16th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Predictions
The Citadel @ USC
WCU @ VMI
UTC @ Fla State
Samford @ Mercer
Furman @ Wofford

Power Rankings
1) Chattanooga
2) The Citadel
3) Western Carolina
4) Samford
5) Wofford
6) Mercer
7) Furman
8) VMI

Catamount87
November 16th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Power Rankings
1. Chattanooga - Proved they are #1
2. The Citadel - To be the man, you must beat the man
3. Western Carolina - Played well against A&M but let some opportunities slip by that could have changed the game dramatically
4. Mercer - The ball finally flew their way
5. Samford - A bit of life left
6. (tie) Wofford and Furman - Oh how the mighty have fallen
8. VMI - All rested up and ready to play

Predictions
The Citadel @ USC - Cocks will be too much for the dogs but it'll be interesting for a while.
WCU @ VMI - It'll be a shoot out for certain. Cats have some key injuries that'll slow us down a little.
UTC @ Fla St- Mocs will collect a nice paycheck
Samford @ Mercer - The battle for 4th place goes to...Mercer.
Furman @ Wofford - Battle of the fallen, Wofford at least has an offense.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2015, 12:08 PM
No matter how bad we are, Wofford will come out in a soft zone coverage and let our quarterbacks look like Joe Montana.

Wofford is typically a good team, but they, for whatever reason, are have found Furman a really tough matchup.

walliver
November 16th, 2015, 12:48 PM
1) Chatty - They won when it counted
2) The Citadel - still a successful season

3) Western Carolina - Still waiting for a breakthrough year

4) Samford - The "bad" team I was expecting didn't show up Saturday

5-7) toss up
Mercer - If they can learn to play an entire game, they will be a force to be reckoned with.
Furman - I had them pegged at #2 preseason. I don't know what happened.
Wofford - offense is struggling and defense is AWOL

8) VMI - some things never change

9+) ETSU

This week:
Citadel at South Carolina - will the bullpups catch the chickens looking forward to the Tiggers? Maybe. But I also suspect their interim coach wouls like to stay, and Extra Crispies win 35-21
WCU at VMI - The Cants will be home for Thanksgiving, but will try to make a departing statement by beating the Keydets 56-16
UTC at FSU - The Criminoles are out of NC contention and may be looking forward to UF. UTC makes a game out of it, but eventually falls 24-21
Samford at Mercer - The cubbies want to finish with a three game winning streak, but Sammy seems to be hitting its stride late in the season and pulls off a 42-35 victory
FU at Wofford - first game at Gibbs since 2012 which should help, but Terrier's loss to Sammy was not nearly as close as the score indicates. I refuse to pick against my team, but I am not particular optimistic about my 27-24 prediction.

Playoffs:
Chatty is in
The Citadel is in good shape, although bizarre things can happen the last week of the seaon.

Western is on the wrong side of the bubble, and will join everybody else for Thanksgiving at NaNa's.

The Cats
November 16th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Western is on the wrong side of the bubble, and will join everybody else for Thanksgiving at NaNa's.

That may be true, but hell, we're happy to be in the conversation after all the lean years.

No non-D-I's next season, but we do travel to East Carolina and South Carolina.

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2015, 08:30 PM
That may be true, but hell, we're happy to be in the conversation after all the lean years.

No non-D-I's next season, but we do travel to East Carolina and South Carolina.

Just win 7 of the other 9!!!!

The Cats
November 16th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Just win 7 of the other 9!!!!

We're hoping to do that again this season.

Catamount87
November 17th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Interesting that here at AGS everyone keeps talking about needing 7 wins.

BUT in reading the selection criteria, http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-16_DIFCS_PreChamps_20150924.pdf, section 2-3 #3, mentions fewer than 6 D1 wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected. #4 also states the committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all D1 opponents.

Section 2*3 Selection Criteria
At-large teams shall be selected by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee, assisted by four regional
advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:

1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record,
(2) strength of schedule, and (3) eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;

2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team's strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents;

5. If a committee member's institution is under consideration, that committee member will not be allowed in the room during discussions involving his/her team and may not vote for his/her team during the voting process. Similarly, a committee member from a conference office may not be present during discussions, nor vote for any team from his/her conference.

walliver
November 17th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Interesting that here at AGS everyone keeps talking about needing 7 wins.

BUT in reading the selection criteria, http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-16_DIFCS_PreChamps_20150924.pdf, section 2-3 #3, mentions fewer than 6 D1 wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected. #4 also states the committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all D1 opponents.

Section 2*3 Selection Criteria
At-large teams shall be selected by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee, assisted by four regional
advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:

1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record,
(2) strength of schedule, and (3) eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;

2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team's strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents;

5. If a committee member's institution is under consideration, that committee member will not be allowed in the room during discussions involving his/her team and may not vote for his/her team during the voting process. Similarly, a committee member from a conference office may not be present during discussions, nor vote for any team from his/her conference.

That has always been the way the rule was written, but I am not aware of a team with fewer than 7 D-I wins being selected. I've always thought the phraseology was unusual.

Maybe one day a 6 D-I team will get in, but I don't see it this year. The team you are probably most interested in, as of this date, has no wins against D-I teams with winning records (either Sammy or Mercer will win this weekend, so Western will end up with 1 win against a D-I team with a winning record). That's a problem with SOS. If the teams you have to play every year have down years, it brings your own SOS down.

Toby
November 17th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Massey FCS Composite (w/ national rank)
1. UTC (14)
2. Citadel (18)
3. WCU (24)
4. Samford (47)
5. Wofford (52)
6. Mercer (58)
7. Furman (60)
8. VMI (91)
9. ETSU (123)

PurpleStreamers
November 17th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Yup. It's not impossible but just not likely this year with all the teams that will make it to 7 D1 wins. It actually looked like it might happen a couple of weeks ago, but enough teams won to make it highly unlikely. But with the MEAC and SWAC essentially quitting the playoffs after the field expanded to 24, it's probably only a matter of when, not if.

Great effort from Western at A&M by the way and so good to see you all on the right track!

longtimemocfan
November 17th, 2015, 03:13 PM
1. UTC (14)
2. Citadel (18)
3. WCU (24)
4. Samford (47)
5. Wofford (52)
6. Mercer (58)
7. Furman (60)
8. VMI (91)
9. ETSU (123)

That's exactly how I would have the conference power rankings.

OL FU
November 17th, 2015, 03:55 PM
That's exactly how I would have the conference power rankings.

Shows you. By the end of the season the Power rankings know as much as everybody else.xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I've never had an issue with the (computerized) Power rankings late in the season....however, the Ivy and PFL tend to jack it up a little....especially when one is undefeated.

ElCid
November 18th, 2015, 11:04 AM
1. UTC (14)
2. Citadel (18)
3. WCU (24)
4. Samford (47)
5. Wofford (52)
6. Mercer (58)
7. Furman (60)
8. VMI (91)
9. ETSU (123)

Just as a point of interest here were Massey's preseason (not Composite)
1. UTC (5)
2. Samford (22)
3. WCU (24)
4. Citadel (38)
5. Wofford (42)
6. Furman (56)
7. Mercer (84)
8. VMI (85)
9. ETSU (125)

Toby
November 18th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Just as a point of interest here were Massey's preseason (not Composite)
1. UTC (5)
2. Samford (22)
3. WCU (24)
4. Citadel (38)
5. Wofford (42)
6. Furman (56)
7. Mercer (84)
8. VMI (85)
9. ETSU (125)

Comparing preseason to current would imply that Citadel and Mercer exceeded expectations. Samford and Wofford performed below expectations (although I think most would put Furman in here as well even though there is only a 4 position difference). UTC, WCU, VMI and ETSU performed as expected.

That all seems to be about right, with the exception of Furman.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Comparing preseason to current would imply that Citadel and Mercer exceeded expectations. Samford and Wofford performed below expectations (although I think most would put Furman in here as well even though there is only a 4 position difference). UTC, WCU, VMI and ETSU performed as expected.

That all seems to be about right, with the exception of Furman.

Furman was an enigma going into the season. They played with a skeleton crew much of last season, so I don't think anyone had a really good read on what they were doing to do. Not even those of us that follow the program closely.

I would not have bet that we would have lost to Coastal by 3, beaten an FBS team, beaten Samford on the road, and still be at 4 wins with one game to play. Furman continues to be plagued by the inconsistency that has been around this program for quite some time.

Toby
November 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Furman was an enigma going into the season. They played with a skeleton crew much of last season, so I don't think anyone had a really good read on what they were doing to do. Not even those of us that follow the program closely.

I would not have bet that we would have lost to Coastal by 3, beaten an FBS team, beaten Samford on the road, and still be at 4 wins with one game to play. Furman continues to be plagued by the inconsistency that has been around this program for quite some time.

I thought preseason that Samford and Furman would be fighting for 2nd place behind UTC this year. Not many thought Citadel would be there.

kdinva
November 18th, 2015, 05:59 PM
1] UTC
2] The Citadel
3] WCU
4] Samford
5] Mercer
6] Wofford
t7] Furman
t7] VMI

Mercer 33; Samford 31
VMI 31; WCU 28
Gamecocks 31; Citadel 20
Wofford 31; Furman 24
FSU 41; UTC 17

CID1990
November 19th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Not many thought Citadel would be there.

That's because they weren't paying much attention last season.

And guaranteed when the 2016 polls come out we'll be sandbagged again.

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2015, 03:59 AM
1] UTC
2] The Citadel
3] WCU
4] Samford
5] Mercer
6] Wofford
t7] Furman
t7] VMI

Mercer 33; Samford 31
VMI 31; WCU 28
Gamecocks 31; Citadel 20
Wofford 31; Furman 24
FSU 41; UTC 17

Pretty close to what I would predict, except I think Huesman will sandbag in the second half and pull any starter of importance. Could be more like 49-7.

Smitty
November 19th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Power Rankings
1) Chattanooga - back to the top
2) The Citadel - well that was quick
3) Western Carolina
4) Samford
5) Wofford
6) Mercer
7) Furman
8) VMI

Predictions
The Citadel @ South Carolina
Western @ VMI
UTC @ Florida State
Samford @ Mercer
Furman @ Wofford

walliver
November 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
That's because they weren't paying much attention last season.

And guaranteed when the 2016 polls come out we'll be sandbagged again.

C'mon, you know you will be picked over VMI and ETSU:D.

Although I would put the bulldogs in second, after Chatty (and I have questions about Chatty without Huesman), it wouldn't surprise me if the media put Sammy and/or Western ahead of you. Very few SoCon media people know a lot about the SoCon (prime exceptions being Jeff Hartsell and Todd Shanesy).

BearDownMU
November 19th, 2015, 02:34 PM

Although I would put the bulldogs in second, after Chatty (and I have questions about Chatty without Huesman), it wouldn't surprise me if the media put Sammy and/or Western ahead of you. Very few SoCon media people know a lot about the SoCon (prime exceptions being Jeff Hartsell and Todd Shanesy).

Very few SoCon fans know anything about the SoCon. xrotatehx

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Very few SoCon fans know anything about the SoCon. xrotatehx

I will give them a pass. Remember, 1/3 of the conference is brand new.

ElCid
November 19th, 2015, 05:19 PM

I like our chances next year. We have a young team this year including a Soph QB, and a 3 deep at FB with a Jr, So, and RSF; we lose 4 starters on O: 1 A-back, 2 OL, 1 WR. The OL loses are most concerning, but not catastrophic. On the 2 deep, only 1 more WR lost, that's it.

On D we lose 4 starters: 2 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB, and 1 more DB on the 2 deep. Big production out of those fellas, and they will be missed, but the youngsters are stepping up, like Delaney and Williams.

Our kicker and punter are Jrs.

Yeah, I like our chances again next year. But we still have 1, or more, games left this year that I like our chances in.

But 1990 may be right, they will give us no respect in preseason polls. That's ok, because preseason polls mean exactly squat.

BearDownMU
November 19th, 2015, 06:12 PM
I feel pretty good about our guys next year as well.

Toby
November 19th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I feel pretty good about our guys next year as well.

As you should Obi-Wan....

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I expect most teams will return a lot of talent. I anticipate everyone will be as good if not better next season. UTC is going to have to find a way to replace the best QB they've had in a generation.

chattanoogamocs
November 19th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I expect most teams will return a lot of talent. I anticipate everyone will be as good if not better next season. UTC is going to have to find a way to replace the best QB they've had in a generation.

You really can't replace a QB like Huesman. But I think Alejandro Bennifield will do well and they have a really good kid coming in next season as a freshman that is a finalist for Mr Football in Tennessee , Zack Weatherly from Nashville (hopefully AJ will do well and Zack can redshirt).

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2015, 05:36 AM
You really can't replace a QB like Huesman. But I think Alejandro Bennifield will do well and they have a really good kid coming in next season as a freshman that is a finalist for Mr Football in Tennessee , Zack Weatherly from Nashville (hopefully AJ will do well and Zack can redshirt).

I've said it on here every year, but FCS teams do not simply "replace" great players. It will be particularly difficult for UTC as Huesman was a huge part of their offense both running and throwing. One of the downsides of having one player lock down that position for so long is that "the other guy" doesn't get a lot of playing time.

CID1990
November 20th, 2015, 05:51 AM

Bennifield threw that trick play pass against us on the first play.

It was a good throw, but then given how open the receiver was I could have made it xlolx

Mocs123
November 20th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I expect most teams in the SoCon to be better with the exception of Chattanooga and perhaps Western as both are replacing big time QBs. Of course both could have great players waiting in the wings but you really don't know until they get some games under their belt.

Bennifield has played quite a bit this year as a WR or RB (often as a decoy) and has punted some but he has only thrown 3 passes all year. He played some last year too in the second half of the VMI game and threw a TD pass.

It's hard to know how he will do as "the guy" until he is getting all the snaps but the coaches seem high on him.

Of course we can't ask him to completely fill Huesmans shoes his first year. I expect he may throw more but we will see a heavy dose of Craine and the other RB crew next season.

CID1990
November 20th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I expect most teams in the SoCon to be better with the exception of Chattanooga and perhaps Western as both are replacing big time QBs. Of course both could have great players waiting in the wings but you really don't know until they get some games under their belt.

Bennifield has played quite a bit this year as a WR or RB (often as a decoy) and has punted some but he has only thrown 3 passes all year. He played some last year too in the second half of the VMI game and threw a TD pass.

It's hard to know how he will do as "the guy" until he is getting all the snaps but the coaches seem high on him.

Of course we can't ask him to completely fill Huesmans shoes his first year. I expect he may throw more but we will see a heavy dose of Craine and the other RB crew next season.

Huesman was the difference in our game. We could put him in jail but we couldn't keep him there. He played a near perfect game.

Toby
November 20th, 2015, 11:10 AM

Zach Weatherly is going to be a good QB for the Mocs one day, but he probably needs at least a year in the weight room.

walliver
November 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I've said it on here every year, but FCS teams do not simply "replace" great players. It will be particularly difficult for UTC as Huesman was a huge part of their offense both running and throwing. One of the downsides of having one player lock down that position for so long is that "the other guy" doesn't get a lot of playing time.

It is rare, but occasionally teams can "replace" great QB's. I was happy when Richie Williams left App State, but wasn't expecting Armanti Edwards.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Huesman was the difference in our game. We could put him in jail but we couldn't keep him there.

Nothing against the 3 SoCon Championships-in-a-row Mocs (who I hope DESTROY the Criminoles this Sat)....but I have said for 2 years that Huesman is clearly 'the straw that stirs the drink' there. Without him, they are a .500 SoCon team. They have excellent players in many other positions, but the SoCon is just too strong Top-to-Bottom (despite what the naysayers naysay) for them to have a 19-3 SoCon record over the past 3 years and 13-1 (love seeing that 1 xthumbsupx) over the past 2 without #14 in there.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2015, 12:40 PM
It is rare, but occasionally teams can "replace" great QB's. I was happy when Richie Williams left App State, but wasn't expecting Armanti Edwards.

I know! I was happy Williams was gone but after that first year, I wanted him back. Armanti Edwards was a beast. He was the best player I have ever seen in the SoCon besides Adrian Petterson.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I know! I was happy Williams was gone but after that first year, I wanted him back. Armanti Edwards was a beast. He was the best player I have ever seen in the SoCon besides Adrian Petterson.

Not sure there will be one like him for a while.

I initially thought "meh, he's a system QB that that can run a bit." Then I saw him start throwing linebackers off of him and thought, "meh, that guy is an animal."

Peterson, though. Man. If this isn't still the most impressive play I've seen on a football field, it'll do until it comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02t-qgwhmm8

Reminds me a bit of what we are seeing out of Leonard Fournette at LSU. Someone wrote a few weeks ago that every running back knows his journey will eventually end when he has the ball. Fournette is a guy that when he knows the run is over, will pick out one player and just punish him before succumbing to the tackle. Sounds a bit like Peterson, I think.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Nothing against the 3 SoCon Championships-in-a-row Mocs (who I hope DESTROY the Criminoles this Sat)....but I have said for 2 years that Huesman is clearly 'the straw that stirs the drink' there. Without him, they are a .500 SoCon team. They have excellent players in many other positions, but the SoCon is just too strong Top-to-Bottom (despite what the naysayers naysay) for them to have a 19-3 SoCon record over the past 3 years and 13-1 (love seeing that 1 xthumbsupx) over the past 2 without #14 in there.

It will be interesting to see what we look like next year without Huesman. He has carried the team many times and has been a HUGE part of our offense though sometimes to a fault (IMO). When teams take him away we continue to run him in the zone read instead of utilizing other aspects of our offense.

One reason I don't think we can ask Bennifield to do everything that Huesman does is I am not sure he could handle the beating. Huesman has been amazingly durable throughout his career.

We have lost other great players and replaced them pretty well though. I remember thinking how are we going to replace Josh Beard, but Josh Williams wasn't too shabby himself, then just as Josh was leaving a guy named Davis Tull came on to the scene, and while you might not can ever replace someone like Tull, Keionta Davis has done a pretty good job this year.

The last couple of seasons our leading tacklers have been 5th year Sr linebackers that have only played special teams and mop up minutes in their career up to that point.

Of course while we have reloaded well on defense it is the offense that worries me more when replacing big time players.

I wondered if we would ever be able to replace BJ Coleman and while we had to change offensive styles we did.

Huesman hasn't had a half bad career for somebody I thought wouldn't play QB for us. At the time we looked to have out QB of the future in Terrell Robinson and looking at Huesmans highlight videos in HS, I didn't think he had a college arm. Of course that's why I am not a scout!!!! He doesn't have an NFL arm but it's better then it looked in HS. His biggest attribute has been his decision making throughout his career (though he has had a head scratcher here or there).

I wouldn't expect us to be the favorites next year especially with a new QB and our season likely depends on how out offensive coaching staff adjusts as much as how Bennifield performs.

There are a lot of nay sayers out there but I really think that any team in the SoCon could beat any team in the SoCon on any given Saturday. I mean even VMI is a threat. That may change with ETSU joining next year, but this year I think the SoCon is pretty good top to bottom.

chattownmocs
November 20th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Chattanooga is very efficient offensively with Huesman. His numbers speak for themselves. That said there is plenty of room for improvement. The offense will become much more explosive starting next year.

Regardless, this is a program built on defense. We are a bit soft in the middle right now because we have some undersized guys. If they can bulk up Chattanoogas 2016 defense will be its best yet.

catamount man
November 20th, 2015, 04:51 PM

WCU's heir apparent to Troy Mitchell: http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kalen_whitlow_971612.html GO CATS!!!

The Cats
November 20th, 2015, 06:10 PM
WCU's heir apparent to Troy Mitchell: http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kalen_whitlow_971612.html GO CATS!!!

Don't count out this year's back up quarterback, Wes Holcombe.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/11393302.jpeg

Catamount back-up quarterback Wes Holcombe (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wes_holcombe_913977.html) orchestrated the game-winning drive, completing four passes for 41 yards including a 19-yard strike to Karnorris Benson (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/karnorris_benson_758877.html) and a 12-yard hook-up with tight end Tyler Sexton (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tyler_sexton_852458.html). Newsome did the rest, recording 45 total yards on the final drive including the 22-yard score. Benson finished with a team-high 54 receiving yards.

Holcombe came on midway through the third quarter for starter Troy Mitchell (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/troy_mitchell_800899.html), who left the game with a minor shoulder injury to his throwing arm. Holcombe finished 10-of-16 for 77 yards - each his single-game career high - while Mitchell was 9-for-16 for 76 yards and a second quarter touchdown pass. Mitchell also rushed for a team-high 79 yards while Newsome finished with 59 yards as a part of recording 104 all-purpose yards that did include a team-best five receptions and 22 receiving yards in the win.

catamount man
November 20th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Oh I wasn't but I don't believe he'll be the starter come 2016. GO CATS!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 20th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I am sorry for the lateness of my entry. I started a new job this week. I was 3-2 last week as Mercer and Samford made their presence known. Congratulations to Chattanooga for winning the conference and punching their ticket to the playoffs. Here is where I have at after last week's games:

1) Chattanooga (AUTOBID) - Punches ticket to the playoffs
2) The Citadel (IN) - Have nothing to be ashamed of last week.
3) Western Carolina - Have nothing to be ashamed of against A&M.
4) Mercer - Feeling their oats as they win their second straight game.
5) Samford - Bullied the Terriers around.
6) Furman - Another season, another bust.
7) Wofford - Falling apart at the end.
8) VMI - Had the week off.
ETSU - At least they did not get blown out.

Predictions
The Citadel @ South Carolina (Upset Special of the Week) - Bulldogs shock the world in Columbia.
Western Carolina @ VMI - Keydets get a case of Cat Scratch Fever.
Samford @ Mercer - Bears finish with another winning season.
Chattanooga @ Florida State (Game of the Week) - Mocs make a valiant effort against one of the ACC's best.
Furman @ Wofford - Season comes mercifully to an end
Kentucky Wesleyan @ ETSU - Bucs end their season on a winning note.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Chattanooga 10 - Mocs rest starters much of the second half
Florida State 42

The Citadel 27 - The Citadel keeps is close but fall short in the 4th Qtr
South Carolina 38

Furman 21 - Furman pulls out the win
Wofford 17

Samford 39 - I could see Mercer winning this one too though
Mercer 33

Western Carolina 41
VMI 13

ETSU 21
Kentucky Wesleyan 20

1.) Chattanooga - Playoff bound
2.) The Citadel - Should get in the playoffs
3.) Western Carolina - A good team but doesn’t make the playoffs this year
4.) Samford - Perhaps they aren’t dead yet
5.) Mercer - Bobby Lambs revenge
6.) Furman - Still having offensive woes
7.) Wofford - Could Ayers be ready to hang it up at 67?
8.) VMI - Much stronger team than last year
9.) ETSU

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 21st, 2015, 02:43 PM

The Citadel @ South Carolina (Upset Special of the Week) - Bulldogs shock the world in Columbia.

What were you guys thinking?

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

ElCid
November 21st, 2015, 02:49 PM

Predictions

Yeah, nice call fellas! I knew we were capable but down deep I thought we would come up short.

citdog
November 21st, 2015, 03:21 PM
A new generation of The Citadel immortals was made today! Who wants to play the Cadets next week?

catamount man
November 21st, 2015, 03:57 PM

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx I know good teams when I see them and I know lazy teams that take after the clown that dumped them during the season when I see them. Proud of THE CITADEL. GO DOGS! GO CATS!!!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 21st, 2015, 05:12 PM

What we had was a classic case of an SEC team that literally had nothing to play for (see Florida from 2013) and an opportunistic SoCon team (Georgia Southern of 2013) with nothing to lose. The end result was the second SEC scalp collected by a SoCon team in three years.

chattanoogamocs
November 21st, 2015, 07:03 PM
SoCon Standings

6-1 Chattanooga (8-2)
6-1 The Citadel (7-3)
5-2 Western Carolina (7-4)
3-4 Samford (6-5)
3-4 Wofford (5-6)
2-5 Mercer (5-6)
2-5 Furman (4-7)
1-6 VMI (2-9)

SoCon Schedule