PDA

View Full Version : Why did Hauck abandon the run in 2nd half?

Georgia Griz
December 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I think poor coaching killed our chances in this game. We all know that the Griz had to come out throwing the ball in those last two possessions, but we could have utilized TBF more early in that 2nd half. Thomas had been running the ball pretty well when given a chance.

You can say all you want about UMass being the better team (which I agree with) but the Griz still could have won that game if not for Hauck going strictly to the passing game in the 2nd half.

gamesaver22
December 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM
thats a classic excuse

Griz0383
December 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I am proud of the players and the coaches! Umass had the griz in horrible field position all day and it could have been a blow out but the coaches kept us in it and gave the kids a chance to win the game!!! It was a touch down if Swogger doesn't miss the read and throw the ball! Everyone on TV saw the missed opportunity and I saw fear in the Umass sidelines when the reciever was going deep and no one to stop him!!!!!!!

gamesaver22
December 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
the fact is that swogger could not make that throw to the deep guy on the run, he threew it as far as possible the way i see it. He saw him just could not get it to him.

GrizFoo
December 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
the fact is that swogger could not make that throw to the deep guy on the run, he threew it as far as possible the way i see it. He saw him just could not get it to him.

That is B.S. Swogger's arm strength is VERY good. The guy has a freakin cannon.

For those of you who don't know how the Griz O works, I will tell you what very likely happened. The Griz O, WR routes and such is based on reads..a lot of reads.

Schulte did have his guy beat and had Swogger thrown too him deep, espectially if it was on his outside shoulder, it would have been a big play, probably a TD. BUT, Swogger probably though Schulte was going to stop and come back for the ball. Swogger misread the play. Had this been his second year, or had we had a QB that knew his WR's abilities and tendencies better, the QB would have hid Schulte deep. But Swogger and the WR's don't know each other well enough. So Swogger mis-read what Schulte could and would do.

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
we couldnt run because we had bad field position.

gamesaver22
December 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
well the WR made the Qb look very bad

YoUDeeMan
December 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Swogger's commments in the Missoula paper said it was a misread.

carney2
December 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I think poor coaching killed our chances in this game.

No smack intended and all due respect, but, let's face it, a superior team killed your chances in this game.

putter
December 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Yep, UMass dominated the stats but dominating stats will get you that and a bag of chips. Montana's defense had been called on way too much this year to keep the team in it and against a very good team like UMass that will not work. If we had any offense at all and were able to get our D more rest, a la SIU, then we could have won the game.

19-17 with our D on the field for 2/3 of the game. Says a lot about the quality of D we have! Props to UMass, as I think they gameplanned better than we did and Baylark had energizer batteries in his legs. Keeps going and going and going.