PDA

View Full Version : Montana embarrassing EWU

Schism55
November 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM
What has happened in this game??

veinup
November 14th, 2015, 05:31 PM
gonna be a ton of garbage time for the eagles to make the score look more respectable .. griz have put mackenna simis back in at qb, still 3rd quarter

Twentysix
November 14th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I was just wondering the same thing

50-16 atm.

ESPN has greyed out all FCS teams, so you can't view any schedules or box scores or anything.

wmmii
November 14th, 2015, 05:33 PM
EWU over rated in the polls, they have not been that good this year!

Twentysix
Will EWU make the playoffs? who is there last game? (I'd look but ESPN is broken)

MTfan4life
Having Gustafson back changes a lot. I am surprised that Eastern hasn't kept up with the scoring, though.

Kemo
November 14th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I was just wondering the same thing

50-16 atm.

ESPN has greyed out all FCS teams, so you can't view any schedules or box scores or anything.

They play at home vs. Portland State.

http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/schedule

BisonTru
November 14th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Having Gustafson back changes a lot. I am surprised that Eastern hasn't kept up with the scoring, though.

I said it month ago, but the way the Montana defense has been holding their own in games the Griz offense was MIA, with the style Montana plays, is/was impressive. I kinda figured as soon as the offense can figure out how stay on the field that defense could really shine.

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2015, 05:49 PM
EWU may very well miss the playoffs which actually would hurt UNI's placement if we can get by SIU next week.

Twentysix
November 14th, 2015, 05:50 PM
They play at home vs. Portland State.

http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/schedule

Oh, so good chance EWU ends up 6-5

taper
November 14th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Portland St is in a close one with SUU. If they lose, the PSU/EWU is probably winner in loser out. Who predicted that in the preseason? They'll both have 6 D1 wins coming in, and loser will end the season on a 3 game losing streak. I really doubt PSU's FBS wins will override that.

veinup
November 14th, 2015, 05:54 PM
home invader joey counts invades the endzone, 57-16 montana

BisonFan02
November 14th, 2015, 05:59 PM
home invader joey counts invades the endzone, 57-16 montana

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 06:05 PM
xlolx

+1

xthumbsupx

NDSUtk
November 14th, 2015, 06:15 PM
How long was Gustafson out?

grizband
November 14th, 2015, 06:18 PM
How long was Gustafson out?
Missed half of the week three loss to Liberty, then was out weeks 4 through 9. This is his first game back.

NDSUtk
November 14th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Missed half of the week three loss to Liberty, then was out weeks 4 through 9. This is his first game back.
Thanks. Thought it was a while but didn't realize it was that long.

grizband
November 14th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks. Thought it was a while but didn't realize it was that long.
Season might have turned out a little different with Gustafson at the helm. Thought, potentially not; Cal Poly loss was a last second field goal, and Liberty went out to an early lead. Weber State though, might have been different...

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Why were there three EWU QBs with more than 10 pass attempts? Was it just garbage time? Injury? Ineffectiveness?

FCSwatcher
November 14th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Not surprising. Eastern win by 2 over UNC who was embarrassed by UND today. Then wins by 1 against Weber. Then gets embarrassed by the Griz, gut lucky last week vs ISU, who was embarrassed by the Cats today. Does anything surprise anyone in BSC?

Could be SUU, PSU, NAU, and UND in the playoffs IF the BSC even deserves 4. Maybe pull them out of a hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veinup
November 14th, 2015, 08:49 PM
re: prof chaos

they started reilly hennesy (sp?) instead of jordan west, who i believe had started all of their previous games .. not an injury issue, they just felt better about the #2 guy i guess. then he got zapped pretty hard in the chest (fumble was returned for a TD by the griz) and had to leave the game .. west came back in .. interceptions everywhere .. i dont specifically remember the 3rd guy playing its all a blur at thsi point. maybe some eastern fans can come in to explain it better

GO GRIZ

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Why were there three EWU QBs with more than 10 pass attempts? Was it just garbage time? Injury? Ineffectiveness?

They were rotating them throughout the game for whatever reason. Clearly the experiment didn't work...

grizband
November 14th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Not surprising. Eastern win by 2 over UNC who was embarrassed by UND today. Then wins by 1 against Weber. Then gets embarrassed by the Griz, gut lucky last week vs ISU, who was embarrassed by the Cats today. Does anything surprise anyone in BSC?

Could be SUU, PSU, NAU, and UND in the playoffs IF the BSC even deserves 4. Maybe pull them out of a hat

If Montana goes 7-4, I imagine they would make the playoffs.

ezgriz51
November 14th, 2015, 09:39 PM
If Montana, EWU, and NAU win next week, Montana wins the Big Sky. Weird, but possible.

FCSwatcher
November 14th, 2015, 09:44 PM

Possible

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Possible

It's a lock, and if you don't realize that you haven't been "watching" FCS for very long.

FCSwatcher
November 14th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Whatever

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 09:57 PM
If Montana, EWU, and NAU win next week, Montana wins the Big Sky. Weird, but possible.

Wow...what a year in the Big Sky this year.

With Gustufson back and if he stays healthy, the Griz are a good team. Although I would love a rematch in the FD...:)

tomq04
November 14th, 2015, 11:06 PM
I had to turn it off mid Q3, I liked the QB trickery...but mainly when QB #2 was playing until he was hurt again. Hennessey will be a great player when he gets the reins...if he can stay healthy.

EWU sucks this year, I have a hard time seeing a playoff for them even with a W against portland state. The last 2 games were the worst games I have witnessed EWU play in the past 8 years.

mvemjsunpx
November 14th, 2015, 11:17 PM

I'm guessing it'll be PSU (seed), SUU, and Montana. The NAU/SUU loser is probably out (in Cedar City), and I think Cal Poly will edge out NoDak at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Possible

It's a near lock at this point.

Cleets
November 15th, 2015, 01:00 AM
How does Beau Baldwin let Tyrone Holmes (and his 13 sacks) just man-up against one tackle with no help for the entire game..?
I saw that Poor Tackle get help twice - that's 2 times - on something like 35 passing attempts - what a terrible decision by Baldwin

That's CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE in the coaching world !!!

putter
November 15th, 2015, 02:17 AM
I never thought that Gustafson would make that big of a difference but this offense clicks with him. The put Simis back in with 5 left in the 3rd QTR and it was back to the sputtering O we have seen. Simis is a better runner but he does not hang in the pocket like Gus nor go through his progressions fast enough. Here is to a win against the Cats and you never know - if they can sneak in the playoffs - what could happen

SeattleGriz
November 15th, 2015, 07:42 AM
I never thought that Gustafson would make that big of a difference but this offense clicks with him. The put Simis back in with 5 left in the 3rd QTR and it was back to the sputtering O we have seen. Simis is a better runner but he does not hang in the pocket like Gus nor go through his progressions fast enough. Here is to a win against the Cats and you never know - if they can sneak in the playoffs - what could happen
One of the EWU defenders said he was surprised at how well Gustafson looked off defenders and then could deliver a strike.

Good stuff to hear.

FCSwatcher
November 15th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Eastern is not the same team from the beginning of the year. Trending down

Win by 2 over a UNC team that was crushed by UND this weekend

Win by one over Weber only scoring 14 points

Lose by 22 to NAU--4 turnovers

Crushed by Montana-6 turnovers, with a fumble and interception returned for TDs, while having nearly identical stats.

They have played ugly as of late 10 turnovers the last two

Big win for Montana in many ways, just not that surprising to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THE DANIMAL
November 15th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Whatever

Dude just stfu. If the Griz win next week they will be a lock for the playoffs. We played a majority of the season with our 2nd and 3rd string quarterback. NDSU fans I'm sure can agree that with our #1 QB playing the Griz are a legit team. Not many FCS schools could have weathered the storm like this team did. If I was any other team in the FCS I would honestly not want to be matched up with the Griz in the playoffs if our offense keeps clicking.

FCSwatcher
November 15th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Dude just stfu. If the Griz win next week they will be a lock for the playoffs. We played a majority of the season with our 2nd and 3rd string quarterback. NDSU fans I'm sure can agree that with our #1 QB playing the Griz are a legit team. Not many FCS schools could have weathered the storm like this team did. If I was any other team in the FCS I would honestly not want to be matched up with the Griz in the playoffs if our offense keeps clicking.

Grow up. Part of a great discussion has both sides. Your perception isn't the same as everyone else's. Most important is the fact Your perception or My perception does not place a team in or out of the playoffs.

Any person can make an argument for NAU, UND, PSU, SUU or UM to make the playoffs. On the reverse side anyone can make an argument against any of them.

I am sorry my perception hurt so bad, as I don't have emotional ties to either Montana or Eastern

dewey
November 15th, 2015, 10:38 AM

I think Montana is a lock if they finish 7-4. Wins over #1 NDSU, top 15 EWU, whooping of the playoff potential team the Siouxage, and a win over top 25 Northern Arizona plus the Montana name. Plus a win over Montana State, not top 25 but still name recognition.

Plus the NCAA would love to have the Grizzlies big pot of money as they will bring 25000 fans to a game at Washington Grizzly stadium.

Grizzlies are a lock at 7-4.

Dewey

veinup
November 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM
How does Beau Baldwin let Tyrone Holmes (and his 13 sacks) just man-up against one tackle with no help for the entire game..?
I saw that Poor Tackle get help twice - that's 2 times - on something like 35 passing attempts - what a terrible decision by Baldwin

That's CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE in the coaching world !!!

it was fun to watch, though. every time i saw tyrone get into his crazyman stance i was like "oh damn look out". he was great to watch yesterday.

re: whether or not UM makes playoffs .. who knows. we could easily lose at MSU. people see gus come back and have a good game and its like the second coming of christ. i'm not with that attitude. it was one game. it was a great game. great to beat the eagles for the first time in for-****ing-ever. but to me it isnt a MONTANA IS BACK thing. you need to win at least a couple games before you are "back" in my eyes.

this was my 1000th post thanks for the good times everyone i'm retiring from egriz

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
it was fun to watch, though. every time i saw tyrone get into his crazyman stance i was like "oh damn look out". he was great to watch yesterday.

re: whether or not UM makes playoffs .. who knows. we could easily lose at MSU. people see gus come back and have a good game and its like the second coming of christ. i'm not with that attitude. it was one game. it was a great game. great to beat the eagles for the first time in for-****ing-ever. but to me it isnt a MONTANA IS BACK thing. you need to win at least a couple games before you are "back" in my eyes.

this was my 1000th post thanks for the good times everyone i'm retiring from egriz

I think the biggest thing is getting the home Griz to show up on the road for the first time this year. If that happens the kittens are in trouble.

srgrizizen
November 15th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I think Montana is a lock if they finish 7-4. Wins over #1 NDSU, top 15 EWU, whooping of the playoff potential team the Siouxage, and a win over top 25 Northern Arizona plus the Montana name. Plus a win over Montana State, not top 25 but still name recognition.

Plus the NCAA would love to have the Grizzlies big pot of money as they will bring 25000 fans to a game at Washington Grizzly stadium.

Grizzlies are a lock at 7-4.

Dewey

I thought the Griz almost never sell out a game over Thanksgiving break w/o the students. xcoffeex

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I thought the Griz almost never sell out a game over Thanksgiving break w/o the students. xcoffeex

There won't be 25,000, but 20,000 is still more than any other potential first round host would bring.

grizband
November 15th, 2015, 01:41 PM
There won't be 25,000, but 20,000 is still more than any other potential first round host would bring.
Exactly. Montana may not sell out first round games, but the attendance usually dwarfs anyone else. Whether fair or not,I think this is at least partially why a7-4 Griz team makes the playoffs.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2015, 02:10 PM

That's odd, it seems like you've been around for more than that...in a good wya, sort of a more established poster it seemed. Congrats on getting it to a grand.

As far as your post goes. I agree with ya. I am happy but not overly confident because I know Gus is our best option but he can have a great game and then seem to lose all that great ability in the next game. He could come out next week and miss on many passes with low and away throws, overthrowing, and then not even picking up on someone getting open. He's good but it can happen as we saw before.

NOt trying to criticize but it has happened so I'm just trying to not overblow this win.

However, MSU is every bit as poor on D as EWU is/was yesterday so it also give a bit more hope.

The Griz only need 7 points up for the D to start playing they can really can. We've spent the season playing from behind except for a few games. If we come out against MSU and score a TD or two in the first quarter then it will make the D a f'n nightmare to deal with and that is what I hope for. The Griz get up by even 7 or 10 early and it's gonna spell good things for the team as a whole.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2015, 02:12 PM

It's still around at least 20k over that weekend though.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Next paged me. Good answer though.

Grizzlies82
November 15th, 2015, 02:57 PM

Before any consideration Montana has to go beat MT St in Bozeman this weekend. That won't be easy.
Though if they get that done your speculation about Big Sky playoff participants is pretty lame.

Comparing Montana's prospects to the four teams you listed ahead of them...
Portland St has excellent shot to be in whether they win or lose. At worst they'll have 3 losses and TWO very impressive wins over FBS teams.
So Utah likely needs a win this week to get in. Win and they're conf. champs. If not, they are 7-4 with a two week losing streak. That momentum hurts bubble teams.
No Arizona should seal a slot if they beat So Utah this week. They've been hot lately and may possibly get invite even with a loss.
No Dakota must win this weekend too. They'd have one good upset under their belt, yet would be a bubble team needing many other teams to stumble.

Of your four prospects, Montana lost to one (Portland St), beat two by wide margins (No Arizona & No Dakota), and didn't play one (So Utah).
The auto-bid for conf champ goes to one of these three; So. Utah (with a win), or it's Portland (with So Utah loss), or it is Montana (with Portland loss).

For at large bids anything is possible. The committee might overlook the Grizzlies in favor of teams they beat decisively but I doubt it. Assuming the following teams don't get the auto bid as champ, the committee will likely select at large Big Sky teams in this order: 1. Portland St., 2. Montana, 3. No Arizona, 4a. So. Utah, 4b. No Dakota, 4c. Eastern Washington.

Feel free to disagree but the committee typically selects the team which won head to head when they're deciding between two teams with comparable records. About the only caveat to that is late season momentum is usually given a great deal of weight. So finishing the season on a losing streak is always trouble.

JALMOND
November 15th, 2015, 03:17 PM
My take on BSC playoffs:

EWU---even with a win over PSU, may need some national help to get in
UND---even with a win over Poly, may need some national help as well
SUU/NAU---I'm thinking the winner is in (SUU gets in with a win anyway) and the loser will need some national help. This game is the one that ROOT should be showing.
UM---I think win and they're in, lose and they are out.
PSU---I'm thinking in regardless of the EWU game, but I still recall 2006. I don't want us to lose this game and then have the committee tell us that we had no shot after the Northern Colorado game. Win and they can't keep us out.

I do think that all of us Big Sky fans need to be prepared that only two teams from the conference may be going to the playoffs. Our record OOC, especially against the Mo Valley is not that good. Four teams, or even maybe three, may be wishful thinking on our part.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2015, 05:27 PM
My take on BSC playoffs:

EWU---even with a win over PSU, may need some national help to get in
UND---even with a win over Poly, may need some national help as well
SUU/NAU---I'm thinking the winner is in (SUU gets in with a win anyway) and the loser will need some national help. This game is the one that ROOT should be showing.
UM---I think win and they're in, lose and they are out.
PSU---I'm thinking in regardless of the EWU game, but I still recall 2006. I don't want us to lose this game and then have the committee tell us that we had no shot after the Northern Colorado game. Win and they can't keep us out.

I do think that all of us Big Sky fans need to be prepared that only two teams from the conference may be going to the playoffs. Our record OOC, especially against the Mo Valley is not that good. Four teams, or even maybe three, may be wishful thinking on our part.

My thoughts…

EWU - Probably in with a win, certainly out with a loss.

PSU - In and a seed with a win, in but no seed with a loss.

SUU - In for sure with a win (auto-bid), probably out with a loss.

NAU - Virtual lock with a win, probably out with a loss.

UMT - Virtual lock with a win, certainly out with a loss.

UND - Probably in with a win, certainly out with a loss. Their eclectic mix of notable wins and lousy other performances makes them hard to predict.

I think it'll be three: PSU, SUU, and Montana. Montana will likely host SUU in the first round.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Can we please stop with the "NCAA will put Montana in the playoffs because they'll make a lot of money" garbage? xrolleyesx

The playoff committee—which is made up of various school athletic department officials—makes these decisions, NOT the NCAA.

Where ticket revenue matters is for the home field decisions in unseeded games, not for who simply makes the playoffs.

SUUTbird
November 15th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Montana does have its reputation that helps them out a lot in this situation on top of the fact that they would look good on TV with the fans in the stands which does = money so it may be part of it.

taper
November 15th, 2015, 06:12 PM
For those that say Montana will get in if the NCAA can find a way, look back to 2010. UM finished 7-4, 3rd in the Big Sky, and ranked. 2 of their losses were to ranked teams that made the playoffs. They also had a sub D1 win, lots of speculation on whether this would be the year they allow a 6 win team in.

They didn't.

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2015, 06:23 PM
For those that say Montana will get in if the NCAA can find a way, look back to 2010. UM finished 7-4, 3rd in the Big Sky, and ranked. 2 of their losses were to ranked teams that made the playoffs. They also had a sub D1 win, lots of speculation on whether this would be the year they allow a 6 win team in.

They didn't.

We'll have 7 DI wins this year if we beat MSU.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Montana does have its reputation that helps them out a lot in this situation on top of the fact that they would look good on TV with the fans in the stands which does = money so it may be part of it.

Montana's reputation might help a little, but I'm not sure that's about fan support so much as it is historic success. I'm pretty certain there's no "put them in cause they make money" decision going on because the people making those decisions don't really benefit from the revenue anyway.

Grizzlies82
November 15th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Montana's reputation might help a little, but I'm not sure that's about fan support so much as it is historic success. I'm pretty certain there's no "put them in cause they make money" decision going on because the people making those decisions don't really benefit from the revenue anyway.

I agree with you. The money won't determine who is in or out for the "At Large" berths. Winning or losing will. Then who you beat weighs heavily in the process.

Though after watching this process for decades I firmly believe that MOMENTUM is one of the better predictors on a bubble team's chances. A 7-4 team that closes out its season with six or seven straight wins is quite likely to get the nod over one who finishes on two or three straight losses. "What have you done for me lately" always seems to factor in.

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I agree with you. The money won't determine who is in or out for the "At Large" berths. Winning or losing will. Then who you beat weighs heavily in the process.

Though after watching this process for decades I firmly believe that MOMENTUM is one of the better predictors on a bubble team's chances. A 7-4 team that closes out its season with six or seven straight wins is quite likely to get the nod over one who finishes on two or three straight losses. "What have you done for me lately" always seems to factor in.

Yup, and at 7-4 Montana will have won 3 in a row and 4 of 5, with the loss coming on the road against a potential seed.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Yup, and at 7-4 Montana will have won 3 in a row and 4 of 5, with the loss coming on the road against a potential seed.

Not to mention 4 notable wins.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2015, 08:47 PM
This is the first time in forever we have more than one or two "quality wins" in our season.

Also the first time in a while we've had so many bad losses, though.

I'm confident though that if we win next weekend, we're in no matter what.

veinup
November 16th, 2015, 10:34 AM
a little highlight reel from this game would be much appreciated..

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2015, 11:51 AM

Grizzalltheway "Yup, and at 7-4 Montana will have won 3 in a row and 4 of 5, with the loss coming on the road against a potential seed."

...AN'..........GRIZZWOLD'S....MAKE MONEY...........;)..........AWK!

wapiti
November 16th, 2015, 12:59 PM
This is the first time in forever we have more than one or two "quality wins" in our season.

Also the first time in a while we've had so many bad losses, though.

I'm confident though that if we win next weekend, we're in no matter what.

Does this mean that beating an unranked Bobcat team is a quality win?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Does this mean that beating an unranked Bobcat team is a quality win?

Has either side ever not considered this one a quality win?