PDA

View Full Version : Griz 2007

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
What do you expect?

i expect a better team than we had this year.

on offense we lose Marshall who is being replaced by oklahoma transfer JD Quinn and swogger who will be replaced by berquist. Defense we have Kroy and stadynk is apparently a stud at end. thoughts by others?

slostang
December 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
What do you expect?

i expect a better team than we had this year.

on offense we lose Marshall who is being replaced by oklahoma transfer JD Quinn and swogger who will be replaced by berquist. Defense we have Kroy and stadynk is apparently a stud at end. thoughts by others?
Don't forget that Montana returns one of the best backs in the CS in Lex Hilliard. Montana has to be one of the front runners next year.

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
*Deep Breath*

I agree that we'll be better than last year. Main reason: Our offense will be much better. Our receiver corp will be the best in the Big Sky, and maybe even the I-AA. Our O-Line is only going to get better with experience. They did much better this year than I expected. Granted, they allowed a ton of sacks, but they got better towards the end of the season. Thomas Brooks-Fletcher has shown that he has tremendous skill. IMO, he looked better than either Brady Green (and I really liked Green at the beginning of the season) or Reggie Bradshaw. Kevin Klaboe is going to rock in the years to come (He's only a Red-shirt freshman). Berquist hopefully will get the start, and I have a lot of confidence in his abilities. If we get a new OC, we'll be sitting pretty.

Defensively, I don't think there's anything we need to worry about. Bobby is a defensive guy, and, assuming he returns next season (I assume he will, since he probably won't be getting any big offers after the loss last night) we'll still have a stellar defense. I'm really gonna miss the likes of Mike Murphy and Dustin Dlouhy. They departure won't help us any, but I have faith in their successors. Missoula is definitely going to miss Tuff Harris. Always knew he would be awesome. I will say that the chanting of "Tuff! Tuff! Tuff!" while on punt return didn't really flow nearly as well as "LV! LV! LV!" xlolx Defensive Backfield looks a lot like this season, so I can see that getting much better. We have 4 of our 5 leading Defensive players coming back.

Don't forget that Montana returns one of the best backs in the CS in Lex Hilliard. Montana has to be one of the front runners next year. Indeed. Lex will be back....with a vengeance! Funny...who was the player receiving all the scholarships and awards at the games this year? The only one not playing. hehe

All in all, I think that Montana will be one of the teams to beat again next season. I predict a top 5 ranking at the get go, easily. As far away as it seems, I'm really looking forward to Griz Football 2007...Missoula is never the same when it's over (Granted, it' still better than anywhere else in MT xlolx ) GO GRIZ!

mtgrizfan4life
December 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Regardless of coach, I expect nothing less than a championship appearance. Talent wise, we will be more talented, especially with Lex's return. I have a feeling Coleman will shift to FB and LEX, TBF, and Bradshaw take care of HB. Lex getting the majority of carries. Look for TBF and/or Bradshaw both see return duty along with Schulte and Quinton Jackson.

OL will only be better. I pray Quinn stays.
TE-Beaudin, Pfahler return for Sophomore seasons.
WR's- Allen, Bagley, and Chambers all return for SR season. The OC better figure out how to get so many weapons the ball. If our OC is not willing to spread things out and come out with more better consistent playcalling, we need to replace him. With the tools we have next year, offensive struggles will not be accepted next year.
QB- Berquist appears to be the man being groomed. He was impressive this year when he played. However, he will be in for a battle. Many fans want to see a Montanan manning it. If that is the case look for Selle to compete. This kid is very talented, but will only be a FR redshirt next year. I will not be surpised to look at any transfers, but my thinking is that QB is in good hands the next 4 years.

Defensively we should be more dominating with Tuff, Murphy, and Dloughy being our only major losses. Biermann will get 15 sacks next year. Mullins, Stadnyk, Pitcher, and Overton will be in Defensive Rotation. Overton redshirted this year and was listed as TE. He is an athletic freak, anyone seeing his recruiting video will know what I am talking about!!!! I would use him at DE and Outside LB, does not matter where he is at, just put him out there! LB and DB, we were deep this year. I expect Quinton Jackson to step in for Tuff, and even be a bigger playmaker from CB.

Special teams will be in great shape. Tyson Johnson returns as punter. Freeing up Carpenter to only kick, which will relieve much pressure on him.

Now I hope everyone knows why GRIZnation expect a NC next year, regardless of the coach. My hope is that BH returns, with a new OC.

Cleets
December 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Look here you guys!
Your team this year was about 3 points away from "who knows what"

But, my dad tells me you're in great shape for next year, the new QB is a fast running hard throwing pain-in-the-ass....

so that's a plus (right?)

the Lex machine returns to apparently fight for his job (sweet)

and you've got talent all over the field.. who's feeling sorry for you dudes! well it better not be you guys!

mtgrizfan4life
December 9th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Too bad kickoff is 9 months away

sdgriz24
December 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
*Deep Breath*

I agree that we'll be better than last year. Main reason: Our offense will be much better. Our receiver corp will be the best in the Big Sky, and maybe even the I-AA. Our O-Line is only going to get better with experience. They did much better this year than I expected. Granted, they allowed a ton of sacks, but they got better towards the end of the season. Thomas Brooks-Fletcher has shown that he has tremendous skill. IMO, he looked better than either Brady Green (and I really liked Green at the beginning of the season) or Reggie Bradshaw. Kevin Klaboe is going to rock in the years to come (He's only a Red-shirt freshman). Berquist hopefully will get the start, and I have a lot of confidence in his abilities. If we get a new OC, we'll be sitting pretty.

Defensively, I don't think there's anything we need to worry about. Bobby is a defensive guy, and, assuming he returns next season (I assume he will, since he probably won't be getting any big offers after the loss last night) we'll still have a stellar defense. I'm really gonna miss the likes of Mike Murphy and Dustin Dlouhy. They departure won't help us any, but I have faith in their successors. Missoula is definitely going to miss Tuff Harris. Always knew he would be awesome. I will say that the chanting of "Tuff! Tuff! Tuff!" while on punt return didn't really flow nearly as well as "LV! LV! LV!" xlolx Defensive Backfield looks a lot like this season, so I can see that getting much better. We have 4 of our 5 leading Defensive players coming back.

Indeed. Lex will be back....with a vengeance! Funny...who was the player receiving all the scholarships and awards at the games this year? The only one not playing. hehe

All in all, I think that Montana will be one of the teams to beat again next season. I predict a top 5 ranking at the get go, easily. As far away as it seems, I'm really looking forward to Griz Football 2007...Missoula is never the same when it's over (Granted, it' still better than anywhere else in MT xlolx ) GO GRIZ!

Agree,except Billings is better than Missoula.(Barely)

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM
D-tackle is still a concern for me. as we saw last night we dont hve the huge guys up front to contest with big powerful lines. mullan is gone and mettler and kain are good but not huge guys. i think if we could get another alan saenz like fellow that would be great.

GRZZ
December 9th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Hahha...you must be from Billings, because only someone from Billings would say that Billings is better than Missoula...Then again, I'm from Missoula.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2006, 11:21 PM

I'm from Billings....I respectfully disagree.

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Regardless of coach, I expect nothing less than a championship appearance. Talent wise, we will be more talented, especially with Lex's return. I have a feeling Coleman will shift to FB and LEX, TBF, and Bradshaw take care of HB. Lex getting the majority of carries. Look for TBF and/or Bradshaw both see return duty along with Schulte and Quinton Jackson.

OL will only be better. I pray Quinn stays.
TE-Beaudin, Pfahler return for Sophomore seasons.
WR's- Allen, Bagley, and Chambers all return for SR season. The OC better figure out how to get so many weapons the ball. If our OC is not willing to spread things out and come out with more better consistent playcalling, we need to replace him. With the tools we have next year, offensive struggles will not be accepted next year.
QB- Berquist appears to be the man being groomed. He was impressive this year when he played. However, he will be in for a battle. Many fans want to see a Montanan manning it. If that is the case look for Selle to compete. This kid is very talented, but will only be a FR redshirt next year. I will not be surpised to look at any transfers, but my thinking is that QB is in good hands the next 4 years.

Defensively we should be more dominating with Tuff, Murphy, and Dloughy being our only major losses. Biermann will get 15 sacks next year. Mullins, Stadnyk, Pitcher, and Overton will be in Defensive Rotation. Overton redshirted this year and was listed as TE. He is an athletic freak, anyone seeing his recruiting video will know what I am talking about!!!! I would use him at DE and Outside LB, does not matter where he is at, just put him out there! LB and DB, we were deep this year. I expect Quinton Jackson to step in for Tuff, and even be a bigger playmaker from CB.

Special teams will be in great shape. Tyson Johnson returns as punter. Freeing up Carpenter to only kick, which will relieve much pressure on him.

Now I hope everyone knows why GRIZnation expect a NC next year, regardless of the coach. My hope is that BH returns, with a new OC.

from what ive heard quinn isnt going anywhere. hes stayed with us this long and i think he will be in a griz uni come next year.

GOKATS
December 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hahha...you must be from Billings, because only someone from Billings would say that Billings is better than Missoula...Then again, I'm from Missoula.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Hate to pop your respective bubbles, but the best place in Montana, griz fans excluded, is Bozeman.:smiley_wi

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Hate to pop your respective bubbles, but the best place in Montana, griz fans excluded, is Bozeman.:smiley_wi

I'd buy that....if you've never left the city limits of Bozeman in your life. xidiotx

JALMOND
December 10th, 2006, 07:08 PM
No doubt Griz should be tough next year. If I plan early, can I get a seat for the PSU game in Missoula next year? Might be a good one as our losses are few as well. Wish we had you all in Portland again next year.

As far as the Missoula/Billings argument, I did not realize it until I left, but the state of Montana gets bleaker the further one goes east of the continental divide.

Mountain Panther
December 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
As far as the Missoula/Billings argument, I did not realize it until I left, but the state of Montana gets bleaker the further one goes east of the continental divide.

Well.....I've heard the following theory, and maybe someone from Missoula can comment....

The original state boarder line between Montana/Idaho was SUPPOSED to be along the divide, which would have put most of the best areas of Montana in Idaho. But, the surveyors got lost at Lost Pass and that's why the line is where it is.

True? :confused:

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
No doubt Griz should be tough next year. If I plan early, can I get a seat for the PSU game in Missoula next year? Might be a good one as our losses are few as well. Wish we had you all in Portland again next year.

Eastern MT may as well be Western North Dakota. After Billings, it's just blah. As for the Idaho Border story, I have no idea. Doesn't seem so, since he would have probably noticed he was a bit off for the hundreds of miles he traveled up the Montana border xlolx

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 08:13 PM

too true. most people who see montana when they are driving through are coming from the east and then drop down into wyoming or another state, and say what i saw of montana sucked yada yada yada. just come west and you will see our glorious beauty.

As for the PSU game next year, you dont need to plan ahead we always give visitors tickets so you could wait until next year. whos coming back for the vikes anyway?

MTGrizzFan
December 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
D-tackle is still a concern for me. as we saw last night we dont hve the huge guys up front to contest with big powerful lines. mullan is gone and mettler and kain are good but not huge guys. i think if we could get another alan saenz like fellow that would be great.

i agree with that. i think a little more stregnth at DT would be a great addition

sdgriz24
December 10th, 2006, 09:44 PM
too true. most people who see montana when they are driving through are coming from the east and then drop down into wyoming or another state, and say what i saw of montana sucked yada yada yada. just come west and you will see our glorious beauty.

As for the PSU game next year, you dont need to plan ahead we always give visitors tickets so you could wait until next year. whos coming back for the vikes anyway?

The west is much better looking but I think Billings is better just cuz their there is so much to do.Missoula does have the Griz though which makes it close.

Oh and tp get back on the topic start the Billings boy next year. Andrew Selle

Grizalltheway
December 11th, 2006, 01:42 AM
The west is much better looking but I think Billings is better just cuz their there is so much to do.Missoula does have the Griz though which makes it close.

Oh and tp get back on the topic start the Billings boy next year. Andrew Selle

Sorry not next year. Give him some more time to get a feel for the system, next year is Cole's. I do think he will be great for the Griz in the future, though.

GrizFoo
December 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
DT is the one position that was overlooked. They tried to move Carter from the OL over, but he isn't a true DT. LaMantia was either hurt or in the dog house, and was the best DT in spring ball. Maybe he had eligibility problems, who knows. But I didn't see him after the 2nd game, and I may not have seen him at all.
We need a Saenz type guy, maybe two. I figure DE will be OK even though we loose Dlouhy and Murphy. Bender was the best player in MT two years ago, and we have him. He was 245 coming in. I imagine he'll be about 260 come playing time. Stadnick will be back. Pitcher isn't that great, but getting bigger, and a little better. Mullins may stay at DE. So that makes Bierman, Buchanan candidate, Bender, Stadnick (also 250 - 260), Mullins, Pitcher, and from what I hear the 6'6 highly touted california TE/DE (forget his name for some reason).

Quinn will be a great addition to the OL. Dyk will be back. I think we only lose Wells and Marshall..maybe one other, but not a starter.

The 2007 Griz will definately be better than the 2006 Griz, there is no quesiton in my mind. I just hope our OC will make sure his schemes fit the talent, and that we spread the ball around to all the talent on O. Hilliard, Brooks-Fletcher, Coleman, Bradshaw(he'll be better next year)...that is some RB corps.
Chambers will be much better next year, and I think he'll improve about as much as Allen improved from year one to year two. If he does, he will be next to unstoppable. So Chambers, Allen, Bagely, Ferriter(Marianni is better than Ferriter, I'm told by some players and other very close to the program...plus he is the second fastest player on the team...LOOK OUT. Provided the OC actually puts him in the freakin game for christ sake.), Marianni, Palmer, Schulte, Troxel (should transfer to NAIA so he can play, he is out of his league in I-AA, even if he is a great kid who works hard and hive 100% every play...he just doesn't have the speed, not even close. And one of the most prolific WR's in years from MT Kazmirichak(sp).

I already can't wait till next year....already.

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
troxel is fast. thats the only reason he is on the team. hes way too small, hes even smaller than schulte. the DE/TE you were referring to is Rob Overton. we will be able to get through conference play and the first few rounds of the playoffs without huge dts, but if that area is not addressed we could still be waiting for our next trip to nooga.

JALMOND
December 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Heard a rumor that UW was trying to get the Griz to come to Seattle for a game next year. Any truth to it? Its certainly a lot closer that Iowa City. Of course, I heard the same rumor last year with no results.

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
havent heard anything.

GrizFoo
December 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
troxel is fast.

Sorry, but he is NOT fast. I have not only watched him run, I have talked to other players and a coach about him. I realize 40 times aren't proof of on the field speed, but his 40 times were not good. DE Dlouhy is faster than him, as is every other WR we have... I believe. He churns his legs, and is a battler. He is out of his league in I-AA, and although his legs move fast, he doesn't get anywhere fast.
Now if you compare him to the population in general, he is probably pretty fast, but if you compare him to skilled players in the FCS you'll notice he is relatively slow.

BTW. Thanks for the Overton name.

I would love for the Griz to play UW. We'll beat them if we play them next year.

mtgrizfan4life
December 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I would love seeing us play any regional 1A program. UW is very intriguing. Would not take much to motivate Chambers for that one!!! It would also easy to travel to. 07 in particular would be great to take on larger programs, we have so much talent returning and could turn some heads. I would travel as far Denver if need be for a game. Preferably a top 25 to 50 program (not Idaho).

Grizalltheway
December 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Come on, wouldn't it be great to kick the humonoid's butt on another team? xlolx

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Sorry, but he is NOT fast. I have not only watched him run, I have talked to other players and a coach about him. I realize 40 times aren't proof of on the field speed, but his 40 times were not good. DE Dlouhy is faster than him, as is every other WR we have... I believe. He churns his legs, and is a battler. He is out of his league in I-AA, and although his legs move fast, he doesn't get anywhere fast.
Now if you compare him to the population in general, he is probably pretty fast, but if you compare him to skilled players in the FCS you'll notice he is relatively slow.

BTW. Thanks for the Overton name.

I would love for the Griz to play UW. We'll beat them if we play them next year.

then the only reason they even have him on the team is because of his dad van troxel. poor matt, he probably wont get too much playing time

GrizFoo
December 11th, 2006, 05:39 PM
That is probably a big reason peems. But he was quite the stud in H.S. But like many H.S. athletes, it just didn't translate to success in I-AA.

If he stays with UM, I give him credit for sticking it out. But if he wants to see the field he should transfer down. I hope I'm wrong, but he may get some PT just because it seems this staff rewards the upperclassmen with PT, even if they aren't better than guys who should be on the field. Though some of it is because the older guys are more experienced and know the system.
Case in point. When some of the current LB's were Frosh, and clearly better than some of the LB's ahead of them, they were still stuck behind them.
Just my, probably off base, observations.
Go Griz!:thumbsup:

Walkon79
December 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Well.....I've heard the following theory, and maybe someone from Missoula can comment....

The original state boarder line between Montana/Idaho was SUPPOSED to be along the divide, which would have put most of the best areas of Montana in Idaho. But, the surveyors got lost at Lost Pass and that's why the line is where it is.

Oh how we wish it had turned out that way. Then east of the divide could keep all the revenue from our vast natural resources. Taxes would be lower, economy much stronger, etc. etc.

GOKATS
December 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I'd buy that....if you've never left the city limits of Bozeman in your life. xidiotx

I lived in Missoula for 8 years- the worst 8 years of my life!

GOKATS
December 11th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Old wives tale- no truth to it whatsoever.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Oh how we wish it had turned out that way. Then east of the divide could keep all the revenue from our vast natural resources. Taxes would be lower, economy much stronger, etc. etc.

Too bad they'd be calling Idaho the last best place. This is a stupid argument that really is nothing more than mild smack and personal opinion. I've lived all over Montana and I enjoy Missoula much more than anywhere else. (Not Bozeman, however....thank god. Been there may times. Even visited your campus last year for Open house, thinking about going into graphic design, but I was really turned off)

Griz Fan
December 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM
It will come down to coaching as we saw in the UMass game. They used many players on offense and threw a lot of different plays at us. Unlike the unproductive staying in the pocket plays and runs to the same hole we saw all year from our OC. We were predictable and complacent on offence. It appeared to me that the OC's thought we could out play our opponents with our ability. Not so, if it wasn't for the D we would not of gone 12-1. As for our D we need to still improve in pass defense. We play way to soft, our front 4 made us look better than we are. It was pressure on the QB that created poor passes, there we very few times we actually made interceptions and plays on the receiver to change the outcome by our coverage. Again, it is not the talent it is the coaching. We have the talent we need to let them play their talent and give them room to make plays and not hold back to play position. This hinders a DB not empowers them.

Jackluv
December 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
i duno about UM having the best WR's in the Big Sky or all of I-AA

they are talented but you NAU has 1st team all american Alex Watson and 2 other all big sky conference WR's coming back.

UM WILL be the best team in the Big Sky though....

Peems
December 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM
we might have the best receiving corps in the big sky.

AZGrizFan
December 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Heard a rumor that UW was trying to get the Griz to come to Seattle for a game next year. Any truth to it? Its certainly a lot closer that Iowa City. Of course, I heard the same rumor last year with no results.

NOW THAT is a game I'd pay 1000 to travel to see. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My favorite team playing my 2nd least favorite team in the country (right behind the shaved beavers of Oregon State).

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I lived in Missoula for 8 years- the worst 8 years of my life!

I agree. Missoula's lack of western stores and rodeos make it a living hell xidiotx

Tailbone
December 14th, 2006, 11:25 AM

I heard that as well.
I also heard that it was a deliberate mistake.
The whole area was part of the Montana territory.
As it stands now, some of the best parts of Montana.....are in Idaho.

mtgrizfan4life
December 14th, 2006, 09:42 PM
This is supposed to be about 2007 Grizzly football, not geography. Can we get back on track? Thanks
BTW/FWIW, East of Bozeman should be another state, lol

MTGrizzFan
December 18th, 2006, 12:53 AM
we might have the best receiving corps in the big sky.

we might have the best receiving corps in the country......i think the future is bright fellow griz fans