PDA

View Full Version : NDSU @ YSU in a game YSU can not afford to lose!

ysubigred
November 9th, 2015, 12:23 PM
OK who wins xeyebrowx

NDSU plays like they did against USD xconfusedx

YSU plays like they did against SDSU xconfusedx

YSU has big problems playing big physical and well coached teams,, xbawlingx

YSU wins 37-31 in a shocker!!!!!!! BO's cat gets a life time supply of Cat-nip!xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2015, 12:40 PM
According to the Sagarin ratings I think NDSU is about a TD favorite which seems about right to me. After the USD game I refuse to give any predictions but NDSU's O-line has really been playing well lately which I think, more than anything, has spurred them on this 3 game winning streak. YSU has too many playmakers on offense for NDSU to hold them down completely so I think it'll come down to whether YSU's new defense (at least in scheme) can contain NDSU's run game and rattle the freshman QB.

Bisonator
November 9th, 2015, 02:45 PM
If YSU can't stop the run game then it should be similar to the ISUb or SIU games. If I was YSU I'd put 8 in the box and make Stick beat you thru the air. Or at the very least spy Stick. I wouldn't count on NDSU playing like they did against USD. That was very much an anomaly IMO with how they have played before and since. But anything is possible....

Redbird 13
November 9th, 2015, 02:49 PM
So much on the line here.

A playoff spot for YSU. Possible two seed for NDSU. What happens with ISUr and SDSU seeds, assuming both win this weekend, with a Penguin win?

This one is juicy!

AmsterBison
November 9th, 2015, 02:51 PM
I like what I've seen of YSU's secondary. Before, I was skeptical because teams just weren't throwing the ball much against YSU... that's true, but it has a lot to do with how good their pass defense is.

deez_na
November 9th, 2015, 02:54 PM
NDSU also needs this game badly for a solid seeding. Would love to have home field throughout the playoffs or 2 games at the very least. This loss would hurt. GO BISON!

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I could see that YSU game vs NDSU like the YSU vs SDSU game. NDSU gets started early, and Bizun would plow the Penguins, and kill em with TOP of 35 min +. 'Guins O will need to figure out ways to have long sustained drives to keep D fresh enough.

ValleyTalk
November 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
FWIW.... And I know this is shocking:

YSU is #2 in the FCS in pass defense and #6 in total defense. If YSU wants to win this game, they need to somehow force NDSU into passing. If NDSU establishes the run early, YSU will have issues keeping this one close.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2015, 05:07 PM
FWIW.... And I know this is shocking:

YSU is #2 in the FCS in pass defense and #6 in total defense. If YSU wants to win this game, they need to somehow force NDSU into passing. If NDSU establishes the run early, YSU will have issues keeping this one close.
Yep, agree completely. For as good as Stick has looked he hasn't had sit back and throw the team down the field yet because the defense is shutting down the run since the Bison have been dominating teams on the ground lately. Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's so good scrambling he's able to make plays that way and that really puts pressure on a defense's ability to defend the run.

Drblankstare
November 9th, 2015, 05:29 PM
All year I've thought that NDSU would lose 2 conference games. This was the second one on my list..... Of course USD wasn't the first one, so chances are I don't know squat.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2015, 05:33 PM
I seriously considered going to this game but I'll be in Hamilton, NY for Lehigh-Colgate instead. The last time NDSU came into Stambaugh they hammered a pretty highly ranked YSU iirc. This would be a huge statement win for Pelini and could really change the course of the program. I think the Penguins have the talent to be in it to win it. I just don't see them actually getting over the hump...

IBleedYellow
November 9th, 2015, 05:43 PM
If NDSU plays like they did last Saturday, they won't be stopped.

The entire team was clicking and it was a thing of beauty.

Rollbird5
November 9th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Go Penguins!

ValleyTalk
November 9th, 2015, 06:25 PM
As was mentioned above, this is a game that could define the future/direction of this Youngstown State program over the next 3-5 years. A win would be huge, not only for the playoff hopes of this team, but for also getting this fan base believing that we can win a big game and have potentially turned the direction of this program around.

Btw: Coach Pelini's radio show is live right now: http://www.iheart.com/live/newsradio-570-wkbn-1869/

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2015, 06:42 PM
As interesting as it is to think about what the ramafications would be to a YSU victory, it's YSU, in November. So it won't happen xlolx

centennial
November 9th, 2015, 07:02 PM
YSU could win, and NDSU could lose but I would give it a 1 in 10 chance. YSU needs to stuff the run, while Stick is no Wentz, he rolls out of the pocket better than Wentz, and is dangerous with the run. You are also going to need 2-3 turnovers, since the NDSU defense looks to be back. The team was embarrassed by taking USD too lightly, they are going to try to make sure this doesn't happen again. If the NDSU team from WIU game shows up, you are going to look at an ugly beat down.

The Yo Show
November 9th, 2015, 07:54 PM
To be sure, it would be no small feat for YSU to beat the Bison. I still like our chances at home.

Daved
November 9th, 2015, 08:41 PM
To be sure, it would be no small feat for YSU to beat the Bison. I still like our chances at home.Agree--if our crippled O-Line steps up we have a decent shot---if they don't it could get ugly fast.It is November but the team is not burned out like the previous 5 Novembers.YSU hung with Pitt on the road so I believe that if YSU focuses on the run and forces them to throw it they can pull it off---provided the Bison don't capitalize on our weakened O-Line.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2015, 08:45 PM
#ButtPitt???

I will say though that a suspect O-line in front of an QB who isn't much of a run threat plays right into NDSU's strength defensively.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 9th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Bison fans have been spoiled in the past with defenses so good that style of offensive play and match ups didn't need to be considered as closely. I think this year we are seeing that NDSU is much more susceptible with our style of defense to a mobile dual threat QB. Without a mobile QB our defense really tees off. Adding in some question marks on the O line for the guins and I like our chances. Even if stick has a bad game I believe the Bison can win a close game. If he plays well IMO, it's over

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2015, 09:27 PM
If the NDSU team from WIU game shows up, you are going to look at an ugly beat down.

Yea...we're not a great team this year, especially the last few games, but that NDSU team was playing like I don't think I've ever seen them play before. They continue to play anything like that for the rest of the season and I don't think anyone can beat them.

Daved
November 9th, 2015, 09:31 PM
#ButtPitt???

I will say though that a suspect O-line in front of an QB who isn't much of a run threat plays right into NDSU's strength defensively.I agree--that's why I'm expecting their back-up QB to get more playing time in this game.

BisonFan02
November 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Yea...we're not a great team this year, especially the last few games, but that NDSU team was playing like I don't think I've ever seen them play before. They continue to play anything like that for the rest of the season and I don't think anyone can beat them.

Agree with this....The bison team that took the field last Saturday had something to prove. Hopefully they keep it going and peak at the right time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2015, 09:58 PM
NDSU played their best game last week of the season. For this year that performance was more towards the "exception" rather than the rule. With that said, NDSU is damn good. But for whatever reason I think Pelini knows the importance of this game for the future of YSU and for his own professional future. I'll be very surprised if this isn't a close game heading into the 4th quarter....

Kemo
November 9th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Even though SDSU handled YSU at their place, I thought the Penguin defense played very well despite the score. The Penguin front 7, especially the D-ends, had some impressive speed and ran down Christion for most of the game until they got tired from being on the field all game long.

If the Penguins are going to win, it's their offense that will most likely need to step it up more-so than their D.

centennial
November 9th, 2015, 10:20 PM
I don't mean this as disrespect to YSU fans either. We have been defensively very good outside of maybe 6-7 lapses. That will happen when you graduate a lot of starters on defense. The good thing is those mistakes are for the most part cleaned up. Not only that our OC has settled down from calling games like we are NIU(at least I hope), we just don't have high quality receivers(they are good, just not exceptional). Our running backs are healthier, most of them had some kind of injury. Our offensive line is healthy as well, which hasn't been the case most season. If YSU can stop Stick and the RB's they will have a chance, on offense they will need to beat us with the throw while having some semblance of the running game.

Vs WIU we seem to have played the best football we have in the last 2 years, comparable to the 2013 team. The real question is if we can maintain this level, we already had one letdown vs USD. Depending on which NDSU team shows up, the good one- it won't be close. If we don't come out strong- the game is close in the 4th.

Houndawg
November 10th, 2015, 07:01 AM
NDSU with ease.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2015, 07:18 AM
NDSU's DL has been playing lights out the last few games. Wells is not a runner. This is a good matchup for the Bison.

Easton has made the Bison offense really hard to defend.

Bison crush guns in the 2nd half.

dewey
November 10th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Here is the Bison Media Blog preview of the Youngstown State game.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3879000-bison-video-blog-youngstown-state-preview

Enjoy.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Not only that our OC has settled down from calling games like we are NIU(at least I hope)
I'm not picking on you but this is a concept I've seen numerous NDSU fans claim over the last few games and I'm genuinely curious as to why you think this is? The way I see it if anything NDSU is even more like the Jordan Lynch NIU team that Polasek was an assistant on because the QB is running even more with Stick in than they did with Wentz. The run game was just flat out not productive through the first 6 games of the year averaging 4.3 ypc. Over the last 3 game it's been 5.9 ypc. IMO, the play calling has been dictated by the players, specifically the O-line, picking up their game.

centennial
November 10th, 2015, 08:56 AM
I'm not picking on you but this is a concept I've seen numerous NDSU fans claim over the last few games and I'm genuinely curious as to why you think this is? The way I see it if anything NDSU is even more like the Jordan Lynch NIU team that Polasek was an assistant on because the QB is running even more with Stick in than they did with Wentz. The run game was just flat out not productive through the first 6 games of the year averaging 4.3 ypc. Over the last 3 game it's been 5.9 ypc. IMO, the play calling has been dictated by the players, specifically the O-line, picking up their game.
We are running outside and inside power, we were running more zone for the running game. Also some of our pass plays were too heavy on receiver skill IMO. I think we have found a nice balance. We are still using NIU playbook, and Stick is similiar to Jordan Lynch, but IMO it's more catered to the NDSU players. You are correct however, it's not completely NIU, it's more so that Coach P is settling down, and calling better. The team is playing better too. I have started to look at the Coach P offense similar to the Patriots. Why? Because we can do a lot. I think our playbook is unusual for a college team. We can give multiple looks with the same personal, or run different plays out of similar sets, or visa versa.

Bisonator
November 10th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Yeah I agree I'm not sure why some Bison fans think we were throwing it all over with Wentz. I believe we were still 60-40 pass run % it's just the run game wasn't getting it done. I think the USD game lit a fire and made some players put more effort in then they were before. Specifically the Oline and RB's. That and getting some guys healthier helped too. No question Coach P is calling better plays and the guys are executing at a higher level.

Big_Fan
November 10th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I can't afford to take my wife out to the Outback, but it still happens.

centennial
November 10th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I can't afford to take my wife out to the Outback, but it still happens.

YSU certainly has a chance depending on which bipolar NDSU team shows up.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2015, 11:59 AM
We are running outside and inside power, we were running more zone for the running game. Also some of our pass plays were too heavy on receiver skill IMO. I think we have found a nice balance. We are still using NIU playbook, and Stick is similiar to Jordan Lynch, but IMO it's more catered to the NDSU players. You are correct however, it's not completely NIU, it's more so that Coach P is settling down, and calling better. The team is playing better too. I have started to look at the Coach P offense similar to the Patriots. Why? Because we can do a lot. I think our playbook is unusual for a college team. We can give multiple looks with the same personal, or run different plays out of similar sets, or visa versa.
Idk, I think they run just as much, if not more, zone read with Stick as they did with Wentz. The passing game was always productive with Wentz under center but the difference is the run game is so much more productive with Stick under center, the RO and the power game. At least that's how I've seen it. Stick is partially responsible for that but I think the O-line has been controlling the LOS much better and that's the biggest reason for the turnaround in the run game, not really the play calling.

centennial
November 10th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Idk, I think they run just as much, if not more, zone read with Stick as they did with Wentz. The passing game was always productive with Wentz under center but the difference is the run game is so much more productive with Stick under center, the RO and the power game. At least that's how I've seen it. Stick is partially responsible for that but I think the O-line has been controlling the LOS much better and that's the biggest reason for the turnaround in the run game, not really the play calling.
I am referring to overloading at the line of scrimmage, for example pulling guards. Zone or man blocking schemes are common in college, power is more old school, and somewhat a NFL blocking scheme. You can certainly run read option with power if you want, on run plays. The players needed for these schemes are different, we are better suited to power. Earlier in the season we were running more man. IMO this is why we have gotten better at the run, asking with the RBs getting healthier.

BisonFan02
November 10th, 2015, 09:58 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/3879000-bison-video-blog-youngstown-state-preview - link to the blog in question...

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,12266.30.html - Link to the topic

Quote from I-AA Fan...one (and only?) of their admins

1. This is FAR from our super bowl. How arrogant can you be to even say that? Even if we had 5 or more losses, this would not be our super-bowl. This is senior day, we would have the seniors in all game. We have to win 4-in-a-row to even be mentioned as a possible post-season candidate. NDSU happens to be game #3.

2. Talk about their players from Nebraska. Do they even care that Pelini is at YSU? Do you think that their HC is even going to mention anything about that? What kind of positiove mentlity can you develop by saying "Hey ...Pelini thought you sucked so bad he did not even recruit you". What kind of HS mentality are those two guys? Hey I hope their coach does talk extensively about Pelini not recruitng them, that is less time to talk about our team.

3. I also like the mention of our crowd. Well I have two things to say there.
- We should take notice that someone outside of Youngstown has mentioned & get our butts in the seats.
- Those announcers should realize that 75% of our fan base has never even heard of NDSU. So who we are playing is as much (if not more) of a factor in the low turn-out, than our own team's performance.

I will take that one step further and say that in a normal season ...where we are in the post-season ...NDSU will still be the second-lowest turnout...behind USD. Further yet, I would bet that OVER 90% of the fans (if YSU were to sell out all 21k+ seats) would NOT be able to tell you that NDSU has won the past 4-titles, or even more than 1. Again it is the talk of a self-absorbed group of announcers.

If your fanbase is unaware of NDSU...fellow conference mate...and 4 time defending champions....that is much more of an indictment on your fanbase than anything else.

Thundar
November 10th, 2015, 10:08 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/3879000-bison-video-blog-youngstown-state-preview - link to the blog in question...

If your fanbase is unaware of NDSU...fellow conference mate...and 4 time defending champions....that is much more of an indictment on your fanbase than anything else.

lol, just like nobody anywhere knows what Youngstown St. is...even their own fans

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 10:43 PM
The true fun question is what happens to seeds from the MVFC if NDSU AND ISUr lost. That would be fun (as a SDSU fan)

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2015, 11:07 PM

A normal year is a year they make the playoffs? So they haven't had a "normal" year since 2006? I guess he has a different definition of normal than the rest of us.

ValleyTalk
November 11th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Of all people NOT to quote, it is him. That man says the most outlandish statements and if he were in charge Heacock would still be our coach!!

mgbison
November 11th, 2015, 08:01 AM
The true fun question is what happens to seeds from the MVFC if NDSU AND ISUr lost. That would be fun (as a SDSU fan)

Ndsu would probably be playing another home game at Howard wood. It would be interesting to see which team would have more fans show up. I'd give sdsu the edge, probably 60/40. However, we'd have 80% of the tailgaters.

Bison56
November 11th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Sounds like a well informed fan base.

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Ndsu would probably be playing another home game at Howard wood. It would be interesting to see which team would have more fans show up. I'd give sdsu the edge, probably 60/40. However, we'd have 80% of the tailgaters.

Yeah just like the last game at CAS was vs you guys

CappinHard
November 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM

xeyebrowx The stadium only holds 10,000... You do realize how many season ticket holders we have? It's not at NDSU's level obviously, but it's enough to make it pretty tough for an NDSU fan to get a ticket in that small of a stadium, outside of NDSU's allotment of course.

mgbison
November 11th, 2015, 12:11 PM
xeyebrowx The stadium only holds 10,000... You do realize how many season ticket holders we have? It's not at NDSU's level obviously, but it's enough to make it pretty tough for an NDSU fan to get a ticket in that small of a stadium, outside of NDSU's allotment of course.

What has sdsu's attendance been in the playoffs. That number is more accurate than season ticket holders.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 11th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Go troll your own gameday thread.

Thundar
November 11th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Plenty would be for sale

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Plenty would be for sale

This here.

Late November or early December playoff game at HW would have plenty of tickets available.

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Go troll your own gameday thread.

Oh cry me a river Sally. I think that would be an interesting scenario. And it pertains to the game in question. Sorry for realizing a team that lost to the varmints can lose to anybody.

eiu1999
November 11th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Oh NDSU just win........

deez_na
November 11th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Oh cry me a river Sally. I think that would be an interesting scenario. And it pertains to the game in question. Sorry for realizing a team that lost to the varmints can lose to anybody.

Nothing too interesting about that, if NDSU loses and SDSU and Il St win out then they will be ahead of us and we will not be seeded at all.

CappinHard
November 11th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Nothing too interesting about that, if NDSU loses and SDSU and Il St win out then they will be ahead of us and we will not be seeded at all.

Sounds very interesting to me... xnodx

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 11th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Sounds very interesting to me... xnodx
Because your a troll.

jacksfan29
November 11th, 2015, 05:38 PM
This here.

Late November or early December playoff game at HW would have plenty of tickets available.

I'm not so sure you are correct. My guess is an NDSU playoff game at Howard Wood would be 80-90%% or more blue. All we heard this year was that the Bison fans would be out in force at CAS. That included an employee of your athletic department making a moronic statement on the radio stating that over 25% of the crowd would be Bison fans. In the end, a couple thousand maybe?

But hey, I'm out; this is a "game day" thread and I must just be trolling that "game day" thread.

mgbison
November 11th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Even if there were only 2k bison fans at Howard Wood, that would still be the majority of the tailgating scene.

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2015, 07:59 PM

I was proposing both ISUr and NDSU lose and SDSU won out. Everybody would have two conference losses. Would that mean that SDSU gets a higher seed and those two just get lower ones, or does SDSU stay where they are at and the other two don't get a seed?

SUPharmacist
November 11th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Because your a troll.

Oh relax, it is more fun when other fanbases join in. I enjoy the spectacle of games amongst other programs, particularly in conference. How many of our fans were all over the ISUr-SDSU thread?

Thundar
November 11th, 2015, 08:17 PM
I'm not so sure you are correct. My guess is an NDSU playoff game at Howard Wood would be 80-90%% or more blue. All we heard this year was that the Bison fans would be out in force at CAS. That included an employee of your athletic department making a moronic statement on the radio stating that over 25% of the crowd would be Bison fans. In the end, a couple thousand maybe?

But hey, I'm out; this is a "game day" thread and I must just be trolling that "game day" thread.

Ok....you didn't fill Cas for a playoff game in brookings

SUPharmacist
November 11th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I was proposing both ISUr and NDSU lose and SDSU won out. Everybody would have two conference losses. Would that mean that SDSU gets a higher seed and those two just get lower ones, or does SDSU stay where they are at and the other two don't get a seed?

NDSU would almost certainly not get a seed. I think SDSU would move up and ISUr may get a low seed. Only time will tell, here is hoping the Bison machine is just getting into high gear.

Bisonator
November 11th, 2015, 09:28 PM

Maybe he meant 25% Bison fans by halftime since the game was pretty much over by then.:D

CappinHard
November 11th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Because your a troll.

Wow, we've hit a nerve...

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 12th, 2015, 12:41 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/2847634.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2015, 05:53 AM

Will SDSU beat USD ? Not a sure thing. USD has a real good chance of winning this one at home.

IMO, if both NDSU and SDSU end up 9-2, the Bison will be the higher seed so any potential matchup at HW is a moot discussion.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Note that if Jacks, Redbirds and Bison tie for MVFC co-champs via record, that SDSU will be 9-2, and other two 8-3. Not certain who wins the tie-breaker. Pretty certain that Jacks would be the highest seed of the 3 though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Note that if Jacks, Redbirds and Bison tie for MVFC co-champs via record, that SDSU will be 9-2, and other two 8-3. Not certain who wins the tie-breaker. Pretty certain that Jacks would be the highest seed of the 3 though.

Of course they would at 9-2 and the other 2 at 8-3. All of them at 9-2 makes it pretty interesting.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Of course they would at 9-2 and the other 2 at 8-3. All of them at 9-2 makes it pretty interesting.

And if/when this happens, Jacks are a game behind co-champs, ISU-R/NDSU. Most play-off seeding discussion reflects this likelihood.

IBleedYellow
November 12th, 2015, 08:12 AM
So what happens to the bunnies when they lose this weekend in Vermillion?

UNIFanSince1983
November 12th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Clearly no one here cares about the Fighting Pelini's ;)

Missingnumber7
November 12th, 2015, 09:22 AM

First Tiebreaker would end up being record against common opponents
Second would be record vs highest common opponent

Until they got rid of one of them.

NDSU: UNI (W), USD (L), ISUB (W), WIU (W), YSU (W/L) MSU (W/L) 4-2
SDSU: ISUB (W), YSU (W), UNI (L), MSU (W), USD (W), WIU (W) 5-1
ISUR: UNI (W), YSU (W), MSU (W), WIU(W), ISUB(W), USD (W/L) 5-1/6-0

If NDSU loses again it doesn't matter to which team NDSU will not get the autobid if there is a 3 way tie.
Then it would jump to head to head SDSU vs ISUR.

The tiebreaker first breaks the 3 way tie and then starts over with head to head which SDSU would win.

Mayville Bison
November 12th, 2015, 10:59 AM

If NDSU loses again it doesn't matter to which team NDSU will not get the autobid if there is a 3 way tie.

The tiebreaker first breaks the 3 way tie and then starts over with head to head which SDSU would win.

Could be wrong here, but if all ended at 6-2 in the conference, wouldn't NDSU still get the autobid?
Head-to-head, NDSU is 1-0, SDSU is 1-1, ISU is 0-1. SDSU eliminates ISU with the head-to-head win and NDSU eliminates SDSU with the head-to-head win.

Common opponents would come after the head-to-head right?

EDIT - agreed with previous poster that SDSU would have the highest (and probably only) seed of the three, so it's a moot point anyway.

iowastatebison
November 12th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Head to head would only come into play if each team played the other two teams in the tie breaker. So since NDSU and Illinois State didn't play, they move to the common opponents tie breaker.

At least that is how I understand the rule.

BisonTru
November 12th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Head to head would only come into play if each team played the other two teams in the tie breaker. So since NDSU and Illinois State didn't play, they move to the common opponents tie breaker.

At least that is how I understand the rule.

I think you are correct, which I believe would move to SRS rankings to determine the AQ. However, none of this matters because all of the teams would get into the playoffs and the committee doesn't have to seed based on AQ status.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 12th, 2015, 12:30 PM

SDSU lost to NDSU

Missingnumber7
November 12th, 2015, 12:45 PM
SDSU list to NDSU

Won't come into play in a three way tie because ISUR didn't play NDSU, after head to head, the next tiebreaker is vs common opponents which is all I have listed.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be wrong here, but if all ended at 6-2 in the conference, wouldn't NDSU still get the autobid?
Head-to-head, NDSU is 1-0, SDSU is 1-1, ISU is 0-1. SDSU eliminates ISU with the head-to-head win and NDSU eliminates SDSU with the head-to-head win.

Common opponents would come after the head-to-head right?

EDIT - agreed with previous poster that SDSU would have the highest (and probably only) seed of the three, so it's a moot point anyway.

Head to head only applies if all teams involved have played each other.

Missingnumber7
November 12th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I think you are correct, which I believe would move to SRS rankings to determine the AQ. However, none of this matters because all of the teams would get into the playoffs and the committee doesn't have to seed based on AQ status.
Head to head only if they have all played,
Then common conference opponents if they haven't played.
Then vs highest rated and work their way down.
Last resort is SRS.

http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2015-16/8384/weekly-valley-football-notebook/
MVFC Tiebreaker
 Two-Team Tie:
(1) In the event of a two-team tie in the conference results and the two teams played each other, the winner of the game shall be declared the NCAA automatic qualifier.
(2) If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against all common conference opponents shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier.
(3) If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier.
(4) If the teams are still tied, the latest available computer ranking used by the NCAA selection committee (Simple Rating System) shall be used as the final tiebreaker.
 Three or More Teams Tied:
(1) If at any point a tie is broken using the multiple-tie tiebreaker procedures and only two teams remain tied, the remaining teams shall revert to the two-way tiebreaker (head-to-head).
(2) If the tied teams all played one another, the team with the best cumulative record involving games among the tied teams shall be declared the NCAA automatic qualifier.
(3) If the tied teams all played one another and have identical records against the other tied teams, then each team’s record against all common conference opponents shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic bid. If teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall determine the automatic bid.
(4) If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against common conference opponents shall be used to determine the automatic bid. If the tied teams did not play each other, but one team played and defeated the other two teams, that team is the champion.
(5) If the teams are still tied and they did not play each other, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall determine the automatic bid.
(6) If the teams are still tied, the latest available computer ranking used by the NCAA selection committee (Simple Rating System) shall be used as the final tiebreaker.

CappinHard
November 12th, 2015, 01:12 PM
However, none of this matters because all of the teams would get into the playoffs and the committee doesn't have to seed based on AQ status.

I agree with you, but some bison fans are using the fact that SDSU will likely finish behind NDSU and ISUr in the conference as reasoning for SDSU getting a lower seed. There are some valid reasons for it, but this is not one of them.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2015, 08:51 AM
The SDSU playoff attendance versus EIU a few years back is misleading because that was the Saturday after Thanksgiving which is a horrible weekend for attendance, even moreso than normal for a playoff game. If a round of 16 (meaning they'd have two weeks to sell tickets), quarterfinal, or semifinal between NDSU and SDSU was played in Sioux Falls I have no doubt that SDSU season ticket holders would snatch up a good number of tickets. However, they'll only have a few day head start instead of the month long head start that they had for the regular season game to line up people to use those tickets and if they sell them on the secondary market they'll make money off of them but I know who'll be more likely to be buying them.

CID1990
November 13th, 2015, 09:09 AM
why can't YSU afford to lose? they were ranked when they were .500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonboone11
November 13th, 2015, 09:11 AM
why can't YSU afford to lose? they were ranked when they were .500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A loss to NDSU would put them at 6-5 (at best) to end the season. I think the assumption is that at 6-5 they don't make the playoffs, but at 7-4, they likely would, making this a must win.

ValleyTalk
November 13th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Beat the Bison!

BisonTru
November 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM
A loss to NDSU would put them at 6-5 (at best) to end the season. I think the assumption is that at 6-5 they don't make the playoffs, but at 7-4, they likely would, making this a must win.

I think the committee is going to have to take a hard look at a 6-5 squad from the MVFC, but YSU, if they lose, has a pretty weak OOC and has no wins over playoff teams. Very dangerous position to be in, but it seems like year in, year out YSU puts themselves into a position to be one of the first teams left out.

Jackal
November 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I don't think the Bison have much trouble in this one:

NDSU 31
YSU 10

dewey
November 13th, 2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21762&stc=1

Go Bison!

My prediction;
NDSU 31
Youngstown State 17

Dewey

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM
If NDSU is the top 5 team that voters think they are, Bizun should win handily. YSU missed W's vs other top MVFC teams. Like USD, need to win some of these top games if want to make playoffs. Also need a least one full schollies opponent OOC, and win.

BisonFan02
November 13th, 2015, 04:12 PM
From Professor Chaos on BV.....

After winning the CFP last year, Ohio St has as many playoff wins (2) as Youngstown St has since 1997.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 14th, 2015, 12:44 AM

I believe the original poster was trying to say the MVFC gets "unfair" rep and that .500 teams shouldn't be ranked....xcoffeex #TheCitadelforlife #lol #hashtags

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Gameday:

Bison run game continues to dominate. 1/2 the crowd compared to what is announced.

Bison win 35-13

dewey
November 14th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Go Bison!

Dewey

dewey
November 14th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Youngstown State trying to get back to what it was back in the day.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3882689-youngstown-gets-back-its-roots

Dewey

ValleyTalk
November 14th, 2015, 09:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/s5L67dd.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Youngstown State trying to get back to what it was back in the day.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3882689-youngstown-gets-back-its-roots

Dewey

They probably will not. Sweater vest cheated his way to NCs.

Hope the NDSU coaches put the foot on the gas pedal and keep it there for the whole game.

penguinpower
November 14th, 2015, 10:09 AM
They probably will not. Sweater vest cheated his way to NCs.

Hope the NDSU coaches put the foot on the gas pedal and keep it there for the whole game.

I figures a cornbilly such as yourself would be an expert in knowing that Tressel cheated his way to a title while your team was playing D3 football.

BisonFan02
November 14th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I figures a cornbilly such as yourself would be an expert in knowing that Tressel cheated his way to a title while your team was playing D2 football.

FIFY....and just be glad the Bison were playing DII football that long. xthumbsupx

penguinpower
November 14th, 2015, 10:24 AM
FIFY....and just be glad the Bison were playing DII football that long. xthumbsupx

So basically you are saying that Tressel cheated for 10 years. We would have curb stomped you back in the 1990's. Enjoy your run. It will end.

By the way can you legitimately answer why Craig Bohl left for powerhouse Wyoming? Perhaps a different type of cheating occurred there from what I've heard.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2015, 10:26 AM
So basically you are saying that Tressel cheated for 10 years. We would have curb stomped you back in the 1990's. Enjoy your run. It will end.

By the way can you legitimately answer why Craig Bohl left for powerhouse Wyoming? Perhaps a different type of cheating occurred there from what I've heard.
Pretty simple: $$$$. If someone offered to quadruple your salary to do it you'd go to Laramie too.

And what have heard? I need something to entertain myself with for the next few hours until game time.

penguinpower
November 14th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Pretty simple: $$$$. If someone offered to quadruple your salary to do it you'd go to Laramie too.

And what have heard? I need something to entertain myself with for the next few hours until game time.

I have heard that he was involved with the ladies that he worked with. All rumors of course.

penguinpower
November 14th, 2015, 10:30 AM
And by the way......im calling a YSU loss by at least 2 touchdowns.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I have heard that he was involved with the ladies that he worked with. All rumors of course.
Well, there's plenty of rumors about his time in Nebraska but less about his time in Fargo that I'm aware of. In either case I'm fairly certain he settled down considerably after he got married which coincided with the beginning of NDSU's recent run.

BisonFan02
November 14th, 2015, 10:33 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$ and he joins the list of coaches that leave NDSU for "greener pastures"...many of whom didn't fair so well. NDSU has won 12 national championships with 7 different coaches (Mudra, Erhardt, Morton, Solomonson, Hager, Bohl, and Klieman). NDSU reloads.

Ask Montana State fans how Solomonson worked out....and now Wyo with Bohl....Morton at Wisconsin (with a stop at Tulsa in between) anyone?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I figures a cornbilly such as yourself would be an expert in knowing that Tressel cheated his way to a title while your team was playing D3 football.

Hey poindexter....he did cheat....xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 10:35 AM
And by the way......im calling a YSU loss by at least 2 touchdowns.

YSU will fold in the 2nd half.....

penguinpower
November 14th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Hey poindexter....he did cheat....xlolx

For 10 years?

A QB received improper benefits. How many other universities has that happened at? So Pete Carol, and Butch Davis, and Jimmy Johnson etc......are all cheaters?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2015, 11:05 AM
For 10 years?

A QB received improper benefits. How many other universities has that happened at? So Pete Carol, and Butch Davis, and Jimmy Johnson etc......are all cheaters?

My guess? No, probably not for a full decade but it was proven the program did.

Ya, a lot of coaches/programs have cheated to win. No arguing with that.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 14th, 2015, 11:14 AM
My wife is in Sioux Falls and she says there are BISON shirts every where. She said she thought she was in Fargo. She is wearing her BISON shirt also.

Bisonator
November 14th, 2015, 01:06 PM

You need new material. xlolx

The Yo Show
November 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM
This game is showing to be a good showing by the Guins so far

Hammerhead
November 14th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Bo is a real tool.

SoupCity85
November 14th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Good on NDSU....good teams win games they shouldn't. And for our YSU Penguins, well hopefully you learned a lesson today!!

Schism55
November 14th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Good on NDSU....good teams win games they shouldn't. And for our YSU Penguins, well hopefully you learned a lesson today!!

Can't be said better. Bison didn't get off the bus til after halftime. Valiant effort by Youngstown. Bison showing the heart of a champion!

Missingnumber7
November 14th, 2015, 05:44 PM

YSU came out and played (early) like a team that was going to leave everything on the field, and the last 2 TDs worried me a lot because of our poor tackling.

jacksfan29
November 14th, 2015, 05:59 PM
My wife is in Sioux Falls and she says there are BISON shirts every where. She said she thought she was in Fargo. She is wearing her BISON shirt also.

Me thinks your wifey, or maybe you exaggerate. With a lot of family in Sioux Falls I spend a good amount of time there. I've see a little Bison gear, not much. Maybe she saw a few and got excited. Most SDSU and USD fans not at the game were in front of a TV today.

Kemo
November 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Me thinks your wifey, or maybe you exaggerate. With a lot of family in Sioux Falls I spend a good amount of time there. I've see a little Bison gear, not much. Maybe she saw a few and got excited. Most SDSU and USD fans not at the game were in front of a TV today.
I live in Sioux Falls. Not saying I never see Bison gear, but it's few and far between. SDSU is easily the most predominant and USD would still be ahead of NDSU in terms of sightings.