PDA

View Full Version : Memo To ESPN, Pt Deux: Stop Talking About "Transfers".......

Cap'n Cat
December 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
....as if they're GODS and the FCS would be just the SWAC or Pop Warner without them.

Jesus, I'm gonna puke!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BigApp
December 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I agree. I sent the ESPN ombudsman a nice personalized email last night about this very same issue. I'll let you know if I receive a response.

Just an FYI, tonight is Heisman night, so be ready for a buncha Heisman talk.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2006, 02:51 PM
In a year when there's absolutely no question as to who will win it, to boot :rolleyes:

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I agree. I sent the ESPN ombudsman a nice personalized email last night about this very same issue. I'll let you know if I receive a response.

What e-mail did you use over at ESPN? There a better e-mail to send to than others?

LeopardFan04
December 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
What e-mail did you use over at ESPN? There a better e-mail to send to than others?

You can get to the ombudsman here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2097428

unknown-swac
December 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Damn I had almost forgotten about the Heisman thing. I doubt if I even watch it since it's pretty much a sure win for Troy Smith.

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I just responded using the information you posted on how to get in touch with them. Hopefully we can get some sort of response...

My letter:

George,

I must admit, I am not happy with the coverage by ESPN of last night's Division I Football semifinal between Montana and UMass.

Continually during the game, the ESPN announcers continued to discuss the BCS (soon to be named FBS) while an exciting game unfolded before our very eyes.

As an alum of Sam Houston State and a very active follower of FCS football, I was very dismayed with the lack of attention that the ESPN broadcasting crew gave to a game they were covering.

While I do hope that ESPN and their family of networks carry more games featuring FCS institutions, I do hope that your announcers devote more time to actually covering the game being broadcast instead of covering a subdivision that does not even award a national champion on the field.

Thanks for hearing my concerns...

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think the point of them talking about transfers was to cast a favorable light on the level of competition. Like, for instance, they talked about how the transfers feel that there's not much difference, etc.

To me, they're dealing with a situation where they know most of the interest out there is in "Bowl Subdivision" football. They're trying to cast a favorable light on the level they're televising at the time and trying to keep the interest of members of the audience who are just tuning in to watch football and really don't care about the "Championship Subdivision" like we do.

They also do things like point out that Tony Romo and Tyrell Owens were I-AA players.

I do cringe when they do things like say Youngstown State is the defending national champion but I think I understand what they're doing with their efforts to relate and compare what viewers are seeing to the "Bowl Subdivision."

Gosh I wish they'd have just left it I-A and I-AA. I agree with what I just heard the female announcer calling the YSU/App semi was getting at when she referred to "back when it was easier to say."

ChickenMan
December 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
right... apparently transfers are only bad news when Delaware has them... :p

blackfordpu
December 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I think the point of them talking about transfers was to cast a favorable light on the level of competition. Like, for instance, they talked about how the transfers feel that there's not much difference, etc.

To me, they're dealing with a situation where they know most of the interest out there is in "Bowl Subdivision" football. They're trying to cast a favorable light on the level they're televising at the time and trying to keep the interest of members of the audience who are just tuning in to watch football and really don't care about the "Championship Subdivision" like we do.

They also do things like point out that Tony Romo and Tyrell Owens were I-AA players.

I do cringe when they do things like say Youngstown State is the defending national champion but I think I understand what they're doing with their efforts to relate and compare what viewers are seeing to the "Bowl Subdivision."

Gosh I wish they'd have just left it I-A and I-AA. I agree with what I just heard the female announcer calling the YSU/App semi was getting at when she referred to "back when it was easier to say."

If they would have been watching the game they would see that those comments were not needed. The game spoke for itself.

BigApp
December 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM

I went to their website. You can find the email for the Ombudsman on the lower right corner of the front page.

Retro
December 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I really don't think writing emails to ESPN will do any good.. Someone has to talk with these clowns in person...

In 2003, All Rodney Gilmore did was talk about how important the transfers were to the Delaware team.. Yes, they had impact transfers, but he is the worst when it comes to CS games.. He has no other insight!:rolleyes:

UNH 40
December 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM
It is as if they have nothing to talk about when it comes to the FCS. There are so many things other than the BCS, transfers, and the heisman. Somebody needs to do some homework about the FCS. Its funny because I don't recall it being like this last year or the year before that.

blukeys
December 9th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I really don't think writing emails to ESPN will do any good.. Someone has to talk with these clowns in person...

In 2003, All Rodney Gilmore did was talk about how important the transfers were to the Delaware team.. Yes, they had impact transfers, but he is the worst when it comes to CS games.. He has no other insight!:rolleyes:

2 transfers as starters for 26 positions. Yes that is all that that lame ass Gilmore talked about and that was why Delaware fans complained about his totally disgusting and biased coverage. Even Sean, the Play by play guy pointed out the obviious that most of the Delaware starters were home grown but this did not stop the ignorant Gilmore. For the record Delaware players in the pros, Mike Adams non transfer and a starter for the 49ers. Delaware players not in the pros. Andy Hall and Sean Johnson (transfers) Tell me who did the Nfl consider the best athletes??????????????
Hall and Johnson or Adams.

The ESPN transfer watch goes on. When does Arlee Whitlock get the ESPN scrutiny????????

OhioHen
December 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
as if they're GODS and the FCS would be just the SWAC or Pop Warner without them.

:nono: :nono: Don't lump the SWAC in with Pop Warner. :nono: :nono:

I have no ties to any of the fine institutions in the league and I wish they would join the playoff parade, but the SWAC IS FCS just like the rest of us. :twocents: