PDA

View Full Version : #2 Illinois State loses. Where does SDSU go?

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 05:29 PM
SDSU 25
ISUr 20

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2015, 05:30 PM
That was a tough hard fought game. No shame for Illinois State in losing this game. SDSU has the chance to parley this win into a Top 4 seed imo....

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2015, 05:34 PM
3 way tie atop the MVFC and top 6/7/8ish. I do not want to fall victim to the slot vote but with most of the top 5 ending with losses, it's hard to find a solid top 10 that doesn't recycle/rotate. If they win out they get seeded as well.

wmmii
November 7th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Top 5 for SDSU in my poll

clenz
November 7th, 2015, 05:37 PM
SDSU is tough for me. Their offense was dismantled by NDSU and UNI, but had little issue with ISU.

NDSU is potentially back to #2, SDSU in the 4-5 range, ISU in the 6-8 range....

Also UNI may very well get to top 10 range. A combined 11 points shy of NDSU and ISU both on the road, and beating SDSU on the road....currently up 38-0 at half on Indiana State having given up just 24 points the last 12 quaters

Southern Bison
November 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM
They move into top 5 for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 05:39 PM
3 way tie atop the MVFC and top 6/7/8ish. I do not want to fall victim to the slot vote but with most of the top 5 ending with losses, it's hard to find a solid top 10 that doesn't recycle/rotate. If they win out they get seeded as well.
SDSU should go to top 5-6 though IMO.

X-Factor
November 7th, 2015, 05:41 PM
SDSU is tough for me. Their offense was dismantled by NDSU and UNI, but had little issue with ISU.

NDSU is potentially back to #2, SDSU in the 4-5 range, ISU in the 6-8 range....

Also UNI may very well get to top 10 range. A combined 11 points shy of NDSU and ISU both on the road, and beating SDSU on the road....currently up 38-0 at half on Indiana State having given up just 24 points the last 12 quaters
I want you in the other side of the bracket ;)

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I want you in the other side of the bracket ;)
UNI can play ISUr again. Please stay away from us.

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 05:47 PM

It's not a 3 way tie.

SDSU has 2 losses in conference, ISUr and NDSU only have 1.

1. NDSU 5-1 (USD) Overall 7-2
1b. ISUr 5-1 (SDSU) Overall 7-2
3. SDSU 4-2 (UNI, NDSU) Overall 7-2

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2015, 05:48 PM
NDSU still team to beat

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 05:49 PM
NDSU still team to beat
#3 goes down. Lol.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2015, 05:50 PM
#3 goes down. Lol.

I posted that in the wrong thread..lol...owell...rankings going to be wild this week...

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2015, 05:51 PM
It's not a 3 way tie.

SDSU has 2 losses in conference, ISUr and NDSU only have 1.

1. NDSU 5-1 (USD)
1b. ISUr 5-1 (SDSU)
3. SDSU 4-2 (UNI, NDSU)

Was referring to the ooc included which is why towards the end I referenced the winning out they get seeded. But in conference play NDSU controls their own destiny.

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Was referring to the ooc included which is why towards the end I referenced the winning out they get seeded. But in conference play NDSU controls their own destiny.

Ahh, right on. Anyway, all three teams are locks for the playoffs at least, even if they lose out, which is unlikely on all 3 accounts.

*Chattanooga just lost to Mercer.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2015, 05:52 PM
I think what will be interesting is who gets the protected seed from the MVFC. Jacksonville State is going to be the #1 seed. I can't imagine anyone but the MVFC champ earning the #2. The road to Frisco might once again go through Fargo...

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I think what will be interesting is who gets the protected seed from the MVFC. Jacksonville State is going to be the #1 seed. I can't imagine anyone but the MVFC champ earning the #2. The road to Frisco might once again go through Fargo...

Chattanooga losing to mercer sure doesn't hurt. Illinois state losing, Richmond losing, Portland State losing.... NDSU is the new #2?

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 05:53 PM
To be the man, you got to beat the man... in Fargo.. Woooo!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Chattanooga losing to mercer sure doesn't hurt. Illinois state losing, Richmond losing, Portland State losing.... NDSU is the new #2?

Their and the Redbirds loss really opened up the door. If McNeese State wins out they'd have an interesting case...

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Which if thats the case, I could see the committee moving ISU to the other side with UNI, (if they win out for regionalization) and giving SDSU either the 3 or 6 seed so they can hope to regionalize that match up for Friday night on ESPN. It sucks but its all about the almighty dollar and viewrship while hoping for rematch for the title.

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Their and the Redbirds loss really opened up the door. If McNeese State wins out they'd have an interesting case...
Agreed. McNesse could look at a top 2, especially if they can beat SHSU by a couple of scores.

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Agreed. McNesse could look at a top 2, especially if they can beat SHSU by a couple of scores.

If they can beat SHSU you mean... Out of all the higher ranked teams losing so far, SDSU over ISUr and SHSU over McNeese would have been the ones I would have bet on..

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 06:00 PM
EWU is also losing atm. NAU 14 EWU 0. Though who knows how long that will last.

IBleedYellow
November 7th, 2015, 06:02 PM
EWU is also losing atm. NAU 14 EWU 0. Though who knows how long that will last.

I'd say it sticks. NAU is trending up and EWU hasn't been that great of a team all year.

Bisonator
November 7th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Congrats wabbits! I didn't think you had it in you but you got a huge win.

CappinHard
November 7th, 2015, 08:00 PM
To be the man, you got to beat the man... in Fargo.. Woooo!

So... USD is the man then? xlolx

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 08:01 PM
So... USD is the man then? xlolx
For now.

clenz
November 7th, 2015, 08:32 PM
What if you beat the man who beat the man

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 08:33 PM

Then no one is the man, cause we beat the man who beat the man who beat the man.

centennial
November 7th, 2015, 08:33 PM
We have a huge circle of that in the MVFC.

Hammerhead
November 7th, 2015, 08:34 PM
SDSU goes back to Fargo in round 2 of the playoffs again. :p

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2015, 08:35 PM

ISUr and NDSU both control their destiny in conference play. They don't play each other and both could end with 1 conference loss

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 08:35 PM
ISUr and NDSU both control their destiny in conference play. They don't play each other and both could end with 1 conference loss

But NDSU owns the tie breaker (win vs SDSU)

tribefan40
November 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM

Assuming both win out meaning ISUr beats USD, what happens then?

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Is that based on the best team they have in common?

RabidRabbit
November 7th, 2015, 08:57 PM
SDSU wins out, then thèy'really in second àlone. Therefore, since ndsu beat Jacks and IL St lost to Jacks then ndsu gets auto bid. With all the upsets of conference front runners, mvfc may get 3 of top 8 seeds.

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Assuming both win out meaning ISUr beats USD, what happens then?

I'm 99.9% sure that the MVFC tie breaker is decided against the best common (conference) opponent, it moves down the list until one of the teams beat the opponent and the other didn't.

SDSU is logically going to be in 3rd place with ISUr and NDSU tied for 1st, which means NDSU will get it.

Of course all three teams could lose games from here on out changing everything.

Assuming all 3 win out the MVFC seeding in the playoffs should go 2-3 seed NDSU, 4-8 seed SDSU, 5-8 seed ISUr.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I'm 99.9% sure that the MVFC tie breaker is decided against the best common (conference) opponent, it moves down the list until one of the teams beat the opponent and the other didn't.

SDSU is logically going to be in 3rd place with ISUr and NDSU tied for 1st, which means NDSU will get it.

Of course all three teams could lose games from here on out changing everything.

Assuming all 3 win out the MVFC seeding in the playoffs should go 2-3 seed NDSU, 4-8 seed SDSU, 5-8 seed ISUr.
Yep, exactly.

ISUr will be in a weird position the last week of the season if SDSU loses to USD and NDSU beats YSU because in order for Illinois St to get the tie breaker against NDSU if they both finish 7-1 they'd need the team NDSU lost to (USD) to finish above the team they lost to (SDSU) in the conference standings. However, Illinois St plays USD to finish the season so they'd need to beat them to get to 7-1 in conference which would knock USD down to 4-4 in conference and essentially eliminate any chance they'd have to win the tie breaker against NDSU unless SDSU loses again to WIU in the last week of the season to finish 4-4 as well.

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Isn't it just for the auto-bid? Each team is co-champ. I don't think it has to affect seeding

Rabbit3467
November 7th, 2015, 09:40 PM
SDSU goes back to Fargo in round 2 of the playoffs again. :p

If that happens I will personally deliver a flaming bag of poo to every committee member's doorstep!

Twentysix
November 7th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Isn't it just for the auto-bid? Each team is co-champ. I don't think it has to affect seeding

Yes it is just for the autobid.

I still think the order of teams into the playoffs from the MVFC, assuming all 3 win out, will be NDSU then SDSU then ISUr. NDSU has history and money working for them, the SDSU head to head win, and will likely be the highest ranked of the three in the polls. SDSU has the head to head win over ISUr and the KU (FBS/BCS) win, which I think will give them the edge over ISUr when determining seeding.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2015, 09:43 PM
That's correct, although it seems more often than not they seed the autobid higher than the other co-champ(s). I think without a head-to-head matchup between NDSU and ISUr the autobid and the SDSU win will give NDSU the edge in the seeding conversation. Both teams need to win out though which isn't a given.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2015, 11:32 PM
That's correct, although it seems more often than not they seed the autobid higher than the other co-champ(s). I think without a head-to-head matchup between NDSU and ISUr the autobid and the SDSU win will give NDSU the edge in the seeding conversation. Both teams need to win out though which isn't a given.

UNI was seeded over autobid SIU once.

TennBison
November 8th, 2015, 06:31 AM

How do you figure 3 way tie with only two teams at 5-1 in conference.

dewey
November 8th, 2015, 08:02 AM
How do you figure 3 way tie with only two teams at 5-1 in conference.
Agreed!

Illinois State has 2 losses (@FBS top 10 Iowa & @ FCS top 10 SDSU)
NDSU has 2 losses (@ Montana & USD)
South Dakota State has 2 losses...both Co french losses (NDSU and UNI)

It is currently a 2 horse race between NDSU and Illinois State as both teams have 1 conference loss.

Dewey

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Assuming that these three MVFC juggernauts win out. SDSU will finish 3rd (behind co-champs, NDSU and IL St). I can make a strong case that SDSU is the highest ranked of the 3.
-
SDSU is the only one of the three with a FBS win. Their only two losses would be to two FCS play-off bound teams (NDSU & UNI), depending on PSU/SUU game results, had a 55-10 beat down of Big Sky auto-bid SUU. So, FBS, W over seeded IL St, win over BSC champ, no bad losses.

IL St. - Only losses to top 25 FBS (current B1G West leader Iowa), and SDSU. Wins over FCS play-off bound UNI.

NDSU - Losses to Montana and USD. Montana is one loss from not making play-offs

With all the upsets yesterday, other than Jax St, does any school have more quality wins, and fewer non-play-off bound losses than these three MVFC?

IMHO, MVFC trio are seeds 2-3-4.

How about McNeese? 9-0? Other than Sam and UCA, what other play-off teams? Unfortunately, the low part of the Southland is pretty low still.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Assuming that these three MVFC juggernauts win out. SDSU will finish 3rd (behind co-champs, NDSU and IL St). I can make a strong case that SDSU is the highest ranked of the 3.
-
SDSU is the only one of the three with a FBS win. Their only two losses would be to two FCS play-off bound teams (NDSU & UNI), depending on PSU/SUU game results, had a 55-10 beat down of Big Sky auto-bid SUU. So, FBS, W over seeded IL St, win over BSC champ, no bad losses.

IL St. - Only losses to top 25 FBS (current B1G West leader Iowa), and SDSU. Wins over FCS play-off bound UNI.

NDSU - Losses to Montana and USD. Montana is one loss from not making play-offs

With all the upsets yesterday, other than Jax St, does any school have more quality wins, and fewer non-play-off bound losses than these three MVFC?

IMHO, MVFC trio are seeds 2-3-4.

How about McNeese? 9-0? Other than Sam and UCA, what other play-off teams? Unfortunately, the low part of the Southland is pretty low still.
I think SDSU's OOC strength is actually helping push both them and NDSU up by virtue of NDSU's head-to-head win in Brookings. At the end of the day all 3 teams have the same 7-2 record playing a ton of common opponents including each other and in games against each other NDSU is 1-0, SDSU is 1-1, and ISUr is 0-1. I think they slot into the seedings in that order but with all 3 getting seeds.

BisoNick
November 8th, 2015, 08:58 AM
If that happens I will personally deliver a flaming bag of poo to every committee member's doorstep!

"He called the s*** poop!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird Recon
November 8th, 2015, 09:24 AM
NDSU has history and money working for them
If ISUr & NDSU win out, isn't this all the Bison have on the Birds?

GABison
November 8th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I guess I am not seeing where NDSU leaping past ISUr is a given. NDSU 2 losses to mediocre FCS teams, ISUr 2 losses to a highly ranked FBS and FCS team.

DaBizon
November 8th, 2015, 09:43 AM
If ISUr & NDSU win out, isn't this all the Bison have on the Birds?
Bison beat Bunnies........Bunnies beat R'Birds.

That's what we have on the Birds

Redbird Recon
November 8th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Bison beat Bunnies........Bunnies beat R'Birds.

That's what we have on the Birds
The same could be said for USD if both with out.

Mayville Bison
November 8th, 2015, 09:54 AM
The same could be said for USD if both with out.

ISUs best win is UNI. NDSUs best win is SDSU along with UNI and and UND as possible playoff teams.

FBS losses don't hurt you but they don't help you either.

Redbird Recon
November 8th, 2015, 09:58 AM
FBS losses don't hurt you but they don't help you either.
Do mediocre FCS losses hurt you, though?

Mayville Bison
November 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Do mediocre FCS losses hurt you, though?

Absolutely, but I'm making a case for why NDSU should be ahead of ISU haha

Redbird Recon
November 8th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Absolutely, but I'm making a case for why NDSU should be ahead of ISU haha
Fair enough! xlolx

If all 3 MVFCs finish at 9-2, I don't see any logical way all 3 won't be seeded.

CappinHard
November 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Fair enough! xlolx

If all 3 MVFCs finish at 9-2, I don't see any logical way all 3 won't be seeded.

Agreed, but the order in which they are seeded will be very interesting. I think one could make a case for any combination, which is impresssive.

gotts
November 8th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Fair enough! xlolx

Well there you go, you used the word logical... Something about selection committee...

What team just had the bad ju-ju placed on them? :D

Redbird Recon
November 8th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Well there you go, you used the word logical... Something about selection committee...

What team just had the bad ju-ju placed on them? :D
I was working for ISUr the year they got royally snubbed. I know all about bad ju-ju.

ISUMatt
November 8th, 2015, 10:25 AM
ISUr has a loss @ undefeated an Iowa and a road loss @ Top 8 SDSU. If you're going to lose, you might as well lose to that caliber!

ISUMatt

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Fair enough! xlolx

All three will be. Now will the committee put them all on the same side of the bracket....xbangx

Kemo
November 8th, 2015, 10:46 AM
ISUr has a loss @ undefeated an Iowa and a road loss @ Top 8 SDSU. If you're going to lose, you might as well lose to that caliber!

ISUMatt

Isn't that the million dollar question? What carries more weight with the committee: The quality of wins or the quality of loses?

In a win-out scenario for the MVFC top 3, the advantage based on category would go:

If it's wins: NDSU

If it's losses: ISU

If both are weighed equally: SDSU

SDSU's one problem is that they wouldn't be even conference co-champs, so for some reason I feel they'll be the meat in the in ISU/NDSU sandwich when it comes to seeding.

Man, that 1 yard left on the field against UNI is really looming large for the Jacks.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Again to the people who don't see the 3 way tie obviously missed the fact that I referenced the rest of the way out in reference to the ooc.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2015, 10:52 AM
SDSU fans --- we need to check ourselves before we wreck ourselves. Next week @ USD will be a barnburner. Yotes are going to bring it harder than they have the past few years with their new found confidence. If USD wins out and beats SDSU & ISU(r) don't you think the committee will give them a real hard look for an at-large (and possibly the nod) at 7-4 with wins against NDSU, SDSU & ISU(r)?

SDSUAlum08
November 8th, 2015, 10:58 AM
SDSU fans --- we need to check ourselves before we wreck ourselves. Next week @ USD will be a barnburner. Yotes are going to bring it harder than they have the past few years with their new found confidence. If USD wins out and beats SDSU & ISU(r) don't you think the committee will give them a real hard look for an at-large (and possibly the nod) at 7-4 with wins against NDSU, SDSU & ISU(r)?

I'm with ya. Two tough games left on the schedule. Both away.

IBleedYellow
November 8th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Also, remember that the committee REALLY wants to see teams trending UP instead of down when the end the season is rolling through.

So if NDSU is going up with run away wins and ISUr is going down with close wina, the decision is almost made for them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

bisoninloveland
November 8th, 2015, 11:18 AM
All three will be. Now will the committee put them all on the same side of the bracket....xbangx

^this!

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2015, 11:28 AM
There is no way a 7-4 USD gets left out with those wins, it wouldn't even be a sweat for them. That said, it ain't happening.