PDA

View Full Version : Question about playoff neutrality

AppGuy04
December 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Was Montana firing a cannon after they scored?

If so, why the hell can't we ring our 3rd down bell

If its supposed to be "neutral" according to the NCAA then they should not have been firing a cannon. Correct me if I'm wrong? I didn't see a cannon, but I definitely saw smoke after a couple of scores.

griz37
December 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Was Montana firing a cannon after they scored?

If so, why the hell can't we ring our 3rd down bell

If its supposed to be "neutral" according to the NCAA then they should not have been firing a cannon. Correct me if I'm wrong? I didn't see a cannon, but I definitely saw smoke after a couple of scores.

Yes Montana fires a cannon after scores. It was silenced for the 1st 2 home playoff games in '95 but the NCAA said before the semi-final that year that the Griz could still use it & Montana has been doing so ever since. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to ring a bell.

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Montana's cannon has been brought into question before by SHSU's AD, who also serves on the playoff committee after the Kats played them in 2004...

He said that SHSU learned what 'home field advantage' means from the Grizzlies and we'll keep that in mind in the future...

SHSU for the record never used our cannon during our playoff game against WKU in 2004...

appfan2008
December 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
WHY CANT WE RING OUR THIRD DOWN BELL???????

griz37
December 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Montana's cannon has been brought into question before by SHSU's AD, who also serves on the playoff committee after the Kats played them in 2004...

He said that SHSU learned what 'home field advantage' means from the Grizzlies and we'll keep that in mind in the future...

SHSU for the record never used our cannon during our playoff game against WKU in 2004...

TT I don't understand how a firing a cannon AFTER a score affects the other team & gives the Griz a better homefield advantage. Care to explain?

GGASU
December 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM
FIRE THE RIFLE AT THE ROCK TODAY!

If Montana can fire a cannon, we should be able to use the Rifle!

rokamortis
December 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
A slight difference is that the 3rd down bell is a signal to the crowd to get very loud so the other team's offense can't hear the counts or audibles.

The cannon after a score is basically moot since it doesn't have any direct impact on an outcome.

NativeAppy
December 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I've asked myself and my friends the last 2 playoff games, where the third down bell went??? Anyone know if they are playing it on ASN? Nothing like David Jackson saying, "hells bells ring on 3rd down".

NativeAppy
December 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
A slight difference is that the 3rd down bell is a signal to the crowd to get very loud so the other team's offense can't hear the counts or audibles.

The cannon after a score is basically moot since it doesn't have any direct impact on an outcome.

We would run out of ammo for a cannon if we played Coastal again

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
TT I don't understand how a firing a cannon AFTER a score affects the other team & gives the Griz a better homefield advantage. Care to explain?

It's the fact that this is not your home-field. It's an NCAA game...

There's a reason why during NCAA (and even conference events which are supposed to be neutral) in basketball for instance, they announce one starter from one team before announcing the starter for the next, then going back and forth.

Your announcer is not supposed to go hypothetically, "That's another Grizzlies" with the crowd being able to respond "First Down". It's just not supposed to be a 'home-game atmosphere' even if it is at your venue...

rokamortis
December 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
We would run out of ammo for a cannon if we played Coastal again

ugh ... nice smack.

proasu89
December 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I've asked myself and my friends the last 2 playoff games, where the third down bell went??? Anyone know if they are playing it on ASN? Nothing like David Jackson saying, "hells bells ring on 3rd down".
ASN plays the bells on 3rd down.

Mr. C
December 9th, 2006, 11:00 AM

There's a reason why during NCAA (and even conference events which are supposed to be neutral) in basketball for instance, they announce one starter from one team before announcing the starter for the next, then going back and forth.

Your announcer is not supposed to go hypothetically, "That's another Grizzlies" with the crowd being able to respond "First Down". It's just not supposed to be a 'home-game atmosphere' even if it is at your venue...
All of this is PC CRAP. If SHSU's AD had anything to do with the NCAA cracking down on these colorful parts of games, he ought to be tared and feathered (I don't know if he was to blame, or not). The things that happen at Montana are what make Montana a great place to go to a game. I love that kind of stuff. I can't remember what game I heard it at, but I know one of the schools hosting in the quarterfinals was using bells on third down like ASU does. It might have been Youngstown State. If the NCAA wants a neutral environment than totally ruin the playoffs by moving all of the games to neutral sites. And see how fast your attendance goes even further south.

twentythreeOh4
December 9th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Because it is on 3rd down!! That makes it an artificial noise maker which creates a disadvantage for the opposing offense. Firing a cannon AFTER a score does NOT create a disadvantage the opposing offense.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I really don't like the neutrality for the home team in the playoffs. App, Montana, UMass and YSU all deserved home field advantages during the 1st two rounds. It should have been treated like a regular season game with the bells, cannons, and whatever the home team does to celebrate, because....THEIR AT HOME! I'm sorry if ringing bells on 3rd down bothers a team, that is what makes Kidd Brewer Stadium a tough venue (it's not the only thing..). But Appalachian State earned the right to play the bells by it's record. So did the other seeds.

GrizFanIRAQ
December 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Griz fans are trained to make noise on 3rd down without having to be cued by a bell or whatever it be!!!

Tailbone
December 9th, 2006, 01:41 PM
All of this is PC CRAP. If SHSU's AD had anything to do with the NCAA cracking down on these colorful parts of games, he ought to be tared and feathered (I don't know if he was to blame, or not). The things that happen at Montana are what make Montana a great place to go to a game. I love that kind of stuff. I can't remember what game I heard it at, but I know one of the schools hosting in the quarterfinals was using bells on third down like ASU does. It might have been Youngstown State. If the NCAA wants a neutral environment than totally ruin the playoffs by moving all of the games to neutral sites. And see how fast your attendance goes even further south.

Absolutely correct!

College athletics is all about the entertainment.
The firing of the cannon, the antics of the mascot, the tailgating and pregame fanfare are all part of the entertainment package. When properly produced and marketed, the result is an event that compels fans to drive hundreds of miles, week after week, and businesses to close their doors to acommodate travelling fans to participate.
Why in hell would anyone want to dilute that?
Some might question the fairness of the system, but it is what it is and it pays the bills!
Last nights game earned the NCAA better than $450,000, that funds the games at less successful venues.

If neutrality is the goal and the entertainment is nothing more than an inconvenient byproduct, close the doors to the event and allow no spectators.

Oh, and say goodbye to the playoffs.

GRZZ
December 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTerror

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I'm so sick of this debate. Homefield is what it is. People go to enjoy themselves, it is only good for the NCAA if the playoff game is an EVENT.

And I don't care what the NCAA says, Washington Grizzly Stadium will always be Montana's homefield, regardless of who is playing or "who is hosting the event."

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM
technically what our announcer does during the playoffs is just say first down in a regular voice and then we add the griz. during the regular season he does it much more emphatically.

my question is why can app storm the field. they said at our game NCAA violations and all this if we stormed the field(moot point of course) but shouldnt App have a fine or something for storming the field.

gophoenix
December 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
It's all a bunch of crap. It's like the NCAA/SoCon stop doing the Phoenix Call on third downs for games. Or like preventing a band from playing when the other team has the ball.

Home field advantage means home field advantage.