PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois??

PurpleStreamers
November 5th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Sorry if there's another thread on this, but can one if the EIU folks tell us what the heck's going on out there?

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/eastern-illinois-u-insists-again-that-it-will-not-close-in-the-spring/106375

Sycamore62
November 5th, 2015, 11:14 AM
attendance is down but this is more of the state paying bills because they havent passed a budget. they laid off some people already.

eiu1999
November 5th, 2015, 11:30 AM
They've laid off a lot already and will continue too. The state budget hijacking is hurting everyone, the local school districts are a mess as well.

ST_Lawson
November 5th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Yea, it's something that most of the Illinois public universities are dealing with.
http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=12990

Lots of rumors flying around and stuff. Declining enrollment at many schools (mostly the directionals...Eastern, Southern, Western, Northern) is a problem, but as Sycamore62 said, the state is going on 5 months now operating without a budget (as in...almost nobody is getting money from the state). I can't speak for the other universities, but at Western, we've been assured that the university does have enough money to continue to operate until the end of the fiscal year (end of June 2016). There was some question about MAP grants (https://www.isac.org/students/during-college/types-of-financial-aid/grants/monetary-award-program/) not being funded in the Spring, but if the state doesn't come through, then Western will be covering that (the alternative would be to not fund MAP grants and essentially lose probably 1/3 of our students in the spring).

The budget stalemate is a fight between the Democratic-led IL House and Senate and the recently elected Republican Governor and nobody wants to give in...and we're just kinda caught in the middle.

I don't know what the resolution will end up being, but it sounds likely that they'll get something figured out in January, but we may not see any of the money until summer, and even then, it will likely be a significant budget cut. We haven't had to lay off as many people as Eastern has, but we have had a few, done some strategic restructuring, eliminated a few programs that weren't very well populated, etc.

It's a pretty scary situation for us who work at state institutions.

PurpleStreamers
November 5th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info everyone and that really sucks for all the Illinois schools. I actually work at a public institution in the UNC system and we're headed that direction as well. Being an at-will state unlike Illinois and previously Wisconsin though, I could definitely see the hammer dropping even faster down here with our new Board of Governors and Margaret Spellings coming on as President of the System. Not going to be fun for anyone outside of the mothership and golden child in Chapel Hill.

OSBF
November 5th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Sort of diabolical what they did to 3 folks here in our office. Our office set-up is a mix of federal and state govt. Back in june the state folks were told that their positions had been eliminated, and their services were no longer needed. OK, they thought, no biggie I'm eligible to retire, I'll just do that. Tried to file for retirement, were told they weren't eligible because you had to A) file at least 90 days prior to receiving benefits and B) be employed with the agency at time of "separation"

Their retirement pension effectively disappeared.

Heading to court soon

Bisonator
November 5th, 2015, 02:14 PM
How many colleges are there in Illinois anyway? Northern, Southern, Eastern, Western, Illinois, Illinois State............xrotatehx

OSBF
November 5th, 2015, 02:15 PM
How many colleges are there in Illinois anyway? Northern, Southern, Eastern, Western, Illinois, Illinois State............xrotatehx

SIU Edwardsville, Illannoy-Springfield, Chicago State, Illannoy-Chicago

ST_Lawson
November 5th, 2015, 02:18 PM
U of I (Champaign/Urbana...the main one) - Illini, Big 10
U of I Springfield - Prairie Stars, Div. II GLVC, no football
U of I Chicago - Flames, Horizon League, no football
Illinois State - Redbirds, MVFC
Eastern IL - Panthers, OVC
Southern IL @ Carbondale (the one you're likely more familiar with) - Salukis, MVFC
Southern IL @ Edwardsville (suburb of St. Louis) - Cougars, OVC but not football
Western IL (we also have a campus at the Quad Cities, but that's not technically a separate university like SIUC/SIUE are) - Leathernecks, MVFC
Northern IL - Huskies, MAC
Northeastern Illinois - was Golden Eagles in the old Mid-Con (now Summit) for a while, but dropped athletics entirely in '98
Chicago State - Cougars, WAC, no football
Governors State - no NCAA sports, some intramural sports, apparently accepted into NAIA as of this year

Those are the "public" ones.

OSBF
November 5th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Governor's State University and Northeastern Illinois University

- - - Updated - - -

Comprehensive list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_Illinois

eiu1999
November 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Northeastern Illinois University, Govenor's State,

Bisonator
November 5th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Good gawd is there any other ****ing jobs in Illinois not tied to the education system? xlolx

Sycamore62
November 5th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Good gawd is there any other ****ing jobs in Illinois not tied to the education system? xlolx

law enforcement

- - - Updated - - -

how many Dakotas are there? North, South, Canada..............

Bisonator
November 5th, 2015, 02:25 PM
law enforcement

- - - Updated - - -

how many Dakotas are there? North, South, Canada..............

Close. :D

ST_Lawson
November 5th, 2015, 02:28 PM
To be fair though, Illinois has a higher population than North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah combined. Add all those up and you've got a pretty large number of universities also.

EDIT - as of 2014 estimated census data

eiupantherfan94
November 5th, 2015, 10:54 PM
In an e-mail sent to the students earlier this semester, the university President basically stated the obvious problems but that the university will be able to continue in the Spring semester. He did apparently tell the state congress that EIU might not be able to operate in the Spring if a budget wasn't passed, but I believe that was an attempt to try to get the state to get a budget passed a bit quicker.

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Pass budget! Send EIU to MVFC!

dgtw
November 6th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Great. EIU closes up shop and the idiots running the OVC will find some non-football school to take their place.

Sycamore62
November 6th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Great. EIU closes up shop and the idiots running the OVC will find some non-football school to take their place.

there are days when I'd like to take that spot.

of course I also live in the smallest house in a nice neighborhood kind of like my Sycamores

eiu1999
November 6th, 2015, 09:47 AM

IUPUI

ST_Lawson
November 6th, 2015, 10:03 AM
IUPUI

Nooo...don't take our oooeeeepooooeee

Cocky
November 6th, 2015, 10:08 AM
there are days when I'd like to take that spot.

of course I also live in the smallest house in a nice neighborhood kind of like my Sycamores

You cant have it, ISUb plays football.

eiu1999
November 6th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Nooo...don't take our oooeeeepooooeee

Oh the chants between them and morehead st...........

Sycamore62
November 6th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Oh the chants between them and morehead st...........

Did EIU ever play Morehead when Spoo was still coaching?

OSBF
November 6th, 2015, 11:04 AM

I see what you did there.........................

eiu1999
November 6th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Maybe early on before I got there.

Sycamore62
November 6th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Its a shame Houston Nutt was never hired at Morehead

OSBF
November 6th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Its a shame Houston Nutt was never hired at Morehead

There was this linebacker @EIU in the mid 2000's with a very interesting name, his parents must of hated him.

Combine his name with Morehead.............................

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/148900/lucious-pusey

dgtw
November 6th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Moorehead is where the anti-gay marriage county clerk lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk