PDA

View Full Version : Freshman/Redshirts who are not dressed for the game

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2015, 09:56 PM
Does your team, or any of the teams you have played against, ever travel with 20 players who do not dress for the game, but serve as unofficial cheerleaders?

I haven't seen it in my 26 years of watching FCS football (at least that I can recollect, and I think I would remember this).

South Dakota did this today. About 20 guys in jerseys but shorts or warmup pants. It was basically like they had a small student section on their bench. They would jump up and down and chant and cheer. They also pounded on the signage near the field to make noise on 3rd downs for their defense.

Here's a pretty good summary from someone who sits on that side:
------------------
"I sat behind their bench about 5 rows deep. They had their freshman in street clothes on the sideline and they were really into the game. Like a male cheerleading squad. Hey...that's cool.
They were pounding on the sign along the railing the entire game. Pounding on it hard. It was annoying...but UNI fans do it too. So hey...that's cool. It's a football game.

But then there was a fair amount of banter between the players and UNI fans. And UNI fans are pretty mild as trash talking goes. But the USD guys were paying a LOT of attention to the fans. Almost looking for it.

Then some d-bag dressed like he was on USD's staff stood amongst the players and stared at the UNI crowd for like 10 minutes. He was staring down anyone who would look at him. Not even paying attention to the game...which was still in doubt at that point.

It was the silliest, most punk-ish thing I've seen...and I've been sitting in those seats for years.

Eventually they had a couple cops come over and tell the USD players to stop pounding on the boards because they could tell it was gonna lead to trouble. After the cops left they did it quite a bit for the rest of the game. Cops came back once.

Really silly stuff. Not impressive."

--------------

I asked a few USD fans I chatted with if they normally did this and they couldn't recall it ever happening. I don't recall it happening in 2013 in Cedar Falls and I don't remember seeing anything like it in Vermillion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 31st, 2015, 10:00 PM
SDSU has brought redshirts to Bison games before. They all wear their uniforms.

Sycamore62
October 31st, 2015, 10:06 PM
I don't think the cops should have been doing anything with the other teams players. Even if they were d bags

CappinHard
October 31st, 2015, 10:34 PM
SDSU has brought redshirts to Bison games before. They all wear their uniforms.

Most teams bring some redshirts to games. Most redshirts don't act like d-bags though. We are dealing with USD after all. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2015, 10:43 PM
I don't think the cops should have been doing anything with the other teams players. Even if they were d bags

If you remember, the crowd in the dome is literally on top of the bench. When said players who are not dressed for the game are standing on the benches and getting into it with fans, the police may become involved. xrolleyesx

Catsfan90
October 31st, 2015, 11:04 PM
I agree. If they aren't breaking laws, why involve police?

JayJ79
October 31st, 2015, 11:27 PM
I agree. If they aren't breaking laws, why involve police?

why not involve them? They're essentially there as part of event security, and it's not like they were arresting them, just asking them to behave.

- - - Updated - - -

Does your team, or any of the teams you have played against, ever travel with 20 players who do not dress for the game

damn naked freshmen, causing trouble

Catsfan90
October 31st, 2015, 11:28 PM
why not involve them? They're essentially there as part of event security, and it's not like they were arresting them, just asking them to behave.
I understand they are part of even security but I still see them as a step above regular security. With the powers they have opposed to private security I see them as a step higher theb sometimes necessary. If all these guys were doing was banging on a sign and not being unruly. Why involve police?

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2015, 11:32 PM
I understand they are part of even security but I still see them as a step above regular security. With the powers they have opposed to private security I see them as a step higher theb sometimes necessary. If all these guys were doing was banging on a sign and not being unruly. Why involve police?

Yeah, I mean there have never been incidents between fans and players before...

JayJ79
October 31st, 2015, 11:33 PM
because they probably wouldn't listen to the little old ladies or work study students working as ushers