PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with EWU

tomq04
October 31st, 2015, 07:53 PM
They keep winning, all while continuing to look sooooo bad.

Their defense is not nearly as bad as advertised particularly when opposing teams get in the red zone, but they give you 7 yards/carry until you get to the red zone.

They win against the bad teams (barely), and the middle of the sky teams crush the same bottom teams. At this point I don't think they deserve to be top 15, and PSU and SUU are the only convincing teams in the Sky.

BisonTru
October 31st, 2015, 08:16 PM
They keep winning, all while continuing to look sooooo bad.

Their defense is not nearly as bad as advertised particularly when opposing teams get in the red zone, but they give you 7 yards/carry until you get to the red zone.

They win against the bad teams (barely), and the middle of the sky teams crush the same bottom teams. At this point I don't think they deserve to be top 15, and PSU and SUU are the only convincing teams in the Sky.

EWU is notorious for winning tight games, but usually its 55-53. What happened today? Less than 200 yards of offense.

I first looked at that score and went "huh, must still be in the first quarter." Then I saw final. I had to refresh my browser and check a second website before convincing myself it wasn't an error.

FargoBison
October 31st, 2015, 08:29 PM
Might leave them at #6 for the third straight week or perhaps drop them to #7. Still thinking it over.

centennial
October 31st, 2015, 08:51 PM
Barely a top 10 team for me. Can't keep almost winning against average teams, come the playoffs- you'll get blown out.

BisonTru
October 31st, 2015, 11:32 PM
Anyone watch EWU today? What happened?

Weber State lost but they shut down EWU's offense. They certainly deserve a little credit, but they look like a middle of the road defense, and EWU is one of the top offenses in the nation. 14 points, under 200 yards. This one really has me scratching my head.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2015, 11:40 PM

Weber State lost but they shut down EWU's offense. They certainly deserve a little credit, but they look like a middle of the road defense, and EWU is one of the top offenses in the nation. 14 points, under 200 yards. This one really has me scratching my head.

If the weather was anything like it is in Pullman right now I can understand the troubles. Both Wazzu and Stanford are struggling to score despite having prolific offenses....

dudeitsaid
November 1st, 2015, 01:47 AM

EWU's main offensive thrust is the passing game. The best thing that could've happened to Weber was them winning the toss. They deferred, and EWU started the game into the wind for the first quarter. Our running game is too inconsistent, and without our passing attack, our offense fizzled. We still couldn't seem to get a lot going with the wind at our backs either, though that is when we got both of our TDs, but then faced the wind for fourth quarter as well. We lack the offensive balance to adapt to inclement weather.

We really should've lost. Weber absolutely outplayed us in just about every phase of the game. But as much as the weather hurt EWU, it blew three of their field goals off the mark, so EWU hung on for the win.

I gotta agree with Tomq04. We really don't look like a top 15 team right now. That designation probably belongs to PSU and SUU. Heck, NAU just clobbered a team that we had to beat on a miracle FG as time expired last week!

kalm
November 1st, 2015, 07:24 AM
I remember a team once that barely won it's way through the regular season against average to bad BSC opponents and then barely won it's way in the playoffs to a National Championship. :D

Of course this squad doesn't have Taiwan Jones, Renard Williams, JC Sherrit, and the Johnson brothers. We are also very beat up at RB.

I do however think this offense is more dynamic than the 2010 team. If Ebukam, Zamora, and Raynes continue to play like they did yesterday and the defense continues to improve like it has over the past few weeks, we might be able to win out and do some damage in the playoffs.

I dropped us to #9 last week to make room for Richmond and Portland State. There are teams ahead of us that are mysteries too. Tough to apologize for winning.

LeadBolt
November 1st, 2015, 10:49 AM
I don't see EWU as a top 10 team right now. I do think they're better than the 20 rating both Sagrain and Massey have them ranked at present.

wmmii
November 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM
Team keeps winning so have to give them credit but not impressive. Have them in top 15 but not top 10.

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2015, 11:28 AM
For purely selfish reasons I would put them at around #3 ;)