PDA

View Full Version : No. 13 Eastern Kentucky at No. 1 Jacksonville State

JaxSinfonian
October 28th, 2015, 09:48 PM
By far the biggest matchup on the OVC slate, as it was last year. Jax State won that one 20-6 in Richmond. (JSU highlights video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTG1bpD_Ss), EKU highlights video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdvOx3nI0).)

A large is crowd is expected in Jacksonville for this year's edition. Expectations have gone pretty high here with weeks at the top of the STATS poll and the near-win at Auburn. All know that Eastern is among the toughest tests the Gamecocks will face all year. Massey predicts a 6-point Gamecocks win. Vegas says JSU -4.

Kickoff is 1 p.m. central, with the game on ESPN3. JSU audio feed (http://919wljs.webs.com/) & EKU audio feed (http://archer.chbs.com/wcyo).

JSU game notes (http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/documents/2015/10/25//Game08_EKU_1.pdf?id=2201), EKU game notes (http://www.ekusports.com/documents/2015/10/26//2015_EKU_Game_Notes_Game_8_vs_JSU_.pdf?id=6534) & OVC weekly release (http://www.ovcsports.com/documents/2015/10/26//2015%20OVC%20Football%20Report%20-%20October%2026.pdf?id=5094).

eiupantherfan94
October 28th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Biggest OVC matchup so far, yes. EIU will probably be 5-0 in the conference after Saturday, making the November 7th game huge.

Cocky
October 29th, 2015, 06:08 AM
EKU should be the favorite. Not sure we have an answer for Noah Spence.

Bam
October 29th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Glad 32 is gone.

Bam
October 29th, 2015, 09:05 AM
EKU v JSU hype vidoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBIiPulRKCE&feature=youtu.be

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Despite big games in the Big South, Big Sky, and Ivy (I guess) this is my pick for game of the week in the FCS.

ASU33
October 29th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Darn I wish I could make it to this game! It's going to be a good one

Cocky
October 29th, 2015, 09:31 AM
EKU is the most underrated FCS team this year.

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Despite big games in the Big South, Big Sky, and Ivy (I guess) this is my pick for game of the week in the FCS.

"The urge to neg rep is strong in this one!" -- Yoda, Harvard '(16)45.

Big_Fan
October 29th, 2015, 09:54 AM

I won't argue that.

Our two teams are very eavenly matched... where we are slightly weaker in the passing game, our pass defense is slightly better than theirs... just about every stat is that way.

The only way to tell which team is better will be for us to play. Sunday morning 1:00 AM can't get here fast enough for me.

Bam
October 29th, 2015, 10:24 AM

If the fellas can only get healthyxbangx Alot of weapons on O and a BEAST on the D line.

Redbirdz
October 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM
JSU has some beasts of their own. All but one healthy.

EKUCOLONEL12
October 29th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I won't argue that.

Our two teams are very eavenly matched... where we are slightly weaker in the passing game, our pass defense is slightly better than theirs... just about every stat is that way.

The only way to tell which team is better will be for us to play. Sunday morning 1:00 AM can't get here fast enough for me.
What's happening Sunday at 1 am? Did the NFL go overseas again?

Just some friendly grilling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dewey
October 29th, 2015, 01:11 PM

I don't know about down there but up here at 1 am we start/have started tailgating :-)

Dewey

eiu1999
October 29th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I don't know about down there but up here at 1 am we start/have started tailgating :-)

Dewey

That's about when we turn in......

Cocky
October 29th, 2015, 02:13 PM

probably lives in Asia

ASU33
October 29th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Any TV for the game Saturday?

dgtw
October 29th, 2015, 02:38 PM
There will be two 1:00 AMs on Sunday.

Bam
October 29th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Any TV for the game Saturday?

ESPN3.

eiu1999
October 29th, 2015, 02:46 PM
ESPN3.

Many will be tuned in.

ASU33
October 29th, 2015, 02:58 PM
ESPN3.

I'll be tuned in

EKUCOLONEL12
October 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I know I will have Espn3 on my big screen TV Saturday at 2 PM EASTERN.

Big_Fan
October 29th, 2015, 05:35 PM
probably lives in Asia

exactly... there is more than one time zone on this rock. It is 5:35 am where I am as I write this.

Big_Fan
October 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
There will be two 1:00 AMs on Sunday.
not for me.

We don't have that daylight savings abomination to deal with.

ekufbfan
October 30th, 2015, 07:38 PM
My first trip to JSU, hope it's a good one.
This will be a tough test for our Colonels. I expect we'll need all we got to win.
Go Big E!
Go Colonels!

AshevilleApp2
October 31st, 2015, 04:24 PM
Wow. Impressive win for J.State.

JaxSinfonian
October 31st, 2015, 04:24 PM

Well, not quite the contest I was expecting. But I'm OK with that.

Big_Fan
October 31st, 2015, 04:27 PM
I love beating EKU.... but I love blowing them out even more.

dewey
October 31st, 2015, 04:28 PM
Very impressive win by Jacksonville State.

Congratulations.

Dewey

RabidRabbit
October 31st, 2015, 05:11 PM
Yes. Results look like the SDSU @ Mo St results. Not what expected between likely best two teams in OVC.

Cocky
October 31st, 2015, 05:25 PM
EKU has a good team.

Still not sure if we are a top 15 team.

Bisonator
October 31st, 2015, 05:29 PM
Wow thought this would be a better game.

Cocky
October 31st, 2015, 05:31 PM
EKU has the best punter Ive ever seen.

mamberso
October 31st, 2015, 05:53 PM
Surely you're kidding

Redbirdz
October 31st, 2015, 07:59 PM
EKU has a good team.

Still not sure if we are a top 15 team.
What a load of crap. Stop it.

Cocky
October 31st, 2015, 11:07 PM
What a load of crap. Stop it.
We dont play in the MVC so we cant rank higher than the amount of members in their conference.

Bisonwinagn
November 1st, 2015, 12:31 AM
We dont play in the MVC so we cant rank higher than the amount of members in their conference.

You're the reason everyone hopes you get your ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs again.

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 12:59 AM
You're the reason everyone hopes you get your ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs again.

...and here I was, thinking it was because there are relatively few fans of schools from the Deep South on this forum, and the board is dominated by MVFC fans who tend to live vicariously through the success of their conference.

Who knew?

...besides, sandbagging is an art form. Getting snotty about it is kind of funny, really.

Seriously though, if you could hear what you guys sound like from an outsider's perspective, it is really pretty bad. Case in point was the guy arguing that EIU's turning the ball over 4 times deep in their own territory (twice inside their own 10, and a pick-6) had nothing to do with their loss to WIU (though EIU outgained WIU, and turnovers led directly to 28 points). On the other hand, SIU shouldn't have lost to SEMO, and wouldn't have if not for their 3 interceptions (only one of which led to any points). It important to note, I wasn't making excuses for EIU - I was using that game as an example to show how stupid his argument was... and it never did sink in. That is the kind of vicarious homer-logic that makes the world hate the MVFC - a fine conference, otherwise.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 02:02 AM
...and here I was, thinking it was because there are relatively few fans of schools from the Deep South on this forum, and the board is dominated by MVFC fans who tend to live vicariously through the success of their conference.

Who knew?

...besides, sandbagging is an art form. Getting snotty about it is kind of funny, really.

Seriously though, if you could hear what you guys sound like from an outsider's perspective, it is really pretty bad. Case in point was the guy arguing that EIU's turning the ball over 4 times deep in their own territory (twice inside their own 10, and a pick-6) had nothing to do with their loss to WIU (though EIU outgained WIU, and turnovers led directly to 28 points). On the other hand, SIU shouldn't have lost to SEMO, and wouldn't have if not for their 3 interceptions (only one of which led to any points). It important to note, I wasn't making excuses for EIU - I was using that game as an example to show how stupid his argument was... and it never did sink in. That is the kind of vicarious homer-logic that makes the world hate the MVFC - a fine conference, otherwise.

I believe his main argument was turnover margin, EIU had 5 turnovers however WIU gave the ball back to them 3 times. SIU on the other hand had 7 turnovers and SEMO didn't give them the ball back at all and barely got a win out of it, I believe at home as well. Maybe if the OVC didn't waste high seeds by losing in the second round and quarters we could you'd have something to talk about. Here's a fun fact the OVC has won 3 playoff games In the last 5 years compared to the MVFC's 9, without NDSU's 13. The patriot league had 4 wins in the same stretch. That's the kind of logic that makes you wonder, why waste a seed on the OVC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
November 1st, 2015, 03:09 AM
I believe his main argument was turnover margin, EIU had 5 turnovers however WIU gave the ball back to them 3 times. SIU on the other hand had 7 turnovers and SEMO didn't give them the ball back at all and barely got a win out of it, I believe at home as well. Maybe if the OVC didn't waste high seeds by losing in the second round and quarters we could you'd have something to talk about. Here's a fun fact the OVC has won 3 playoff games In the last 5 years compared to the MVFC's 9, without NDSU's 13. The patriot league had 4 wins in the same stretch. That's the kind of logic that makes you wonder, why waste a seed on the OVC?

Mostly this.

Check the OVC playoff record the last 15 years or so. You'll find just 4 wins, all in one year, with one against the PFL and another against another OVC team

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 04:45 AM
...and here is where I think some of you miss it with the disparaging of the OVC.

JSU fans don't care.

Many of us barely view ourselves as OVC... more like independents that play OVC teams. We are an outlier in the conference, and while EKU is rivalry-ish, there are no real rival games. The OVC could help us by accepting D2 UNA into the conference, but nobody else wants another football school (they will accept basketball only, though!)... for us, TUNA represents the opportunity to have an in-state rival, and they would be competitive on day 1. For that matter, we wanted to join the SoCon, but the private schools blackballed us. Of course, now that GSU and App St are gone, they might be more receptive - but it makes no sense for us without them - unless they did a package deal with UNA and maybe West Georgia.

I don't think MVFC fans can exhale without saying something about past years' playoff success. It is like an answering machine recording.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 05:21 AM
...and here is where I think some of you miss it with the disparaging of the OVC.

JSU fans don't care.

Many of us barely view ourselves as OVC... more like independents that play OVC teams. We are an outlier in the conference, and while EKU is rivalry-ish, there are no real rival games. The OVC could help us by accepting D2 UNA into the conference, but nobody else wants another football school (they will accept basketball only, though!)... for us, TUNA represents the opportunity to have an in-state rival, and they would be competitive on day 1. For that matter, we wanted to join the SoCon, but the private schools blackballed us. Of course, now that GSU and App St are gone, they might be more receptive - but it makes no sense for us without them - unless they did a package deal with UNA and maybe West Georgia.

I don't think MVFC fans can exhale without saying something about past years' playoff success. It is like an answering machine recording.

I think you can relate pretty well with the OVC, not really winning much in December kinda brings y'all together. I'd be loving it in the OVC, you get to play 6 cupcake games a year and only really have to show up for 2 games a year. It doesn't make sense you should be well rested for a deep playoff run that.... But it never happens. See that wasn't about playoff success just the opposite actually.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 05:59 AM
Truth hurt?
MVC fans sound like SEC fans, my team cant win a championship but my conference rival will.
How many times has NDSU beat JSU? How many times has JSU beat NDSU?

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 07:20 AM
Truth hurt?
MVC fans sound like SEC fans, my team cant win a championship but my conference rival will.
How many times has NDSU beat JSU? How many times has JSU beat NDSU?

Ten win seasons are really a better barometer of the worth of a team over the long-haul. Luck of the draw can equate to an easy playoff bid. You can suck every year, then win a playoff game against Hofstra or Dayton or someone and brag. So...ten wins...consistency and more fun in the stands. Actual, tangible WINNING. How many 10 win seasons does JSU have? 10 (soon to be 11). How many do teams in the MVFC have? NDSU has us beat...but we are 2-0 against them. Northern Iowa has us by one. Youngstown is tied. Nobody else is close. Powerhouse SDSU? zero. ISUr? two. MV fans, don't give me "we beat each-other up" garbage. That is lame. Look to the SEC in the FBS... Alabama has won 10 games per season for eight straight seasons, against the toughest competition around - and done it without the benefit of a potential 15 game season. FSU did it for a decade, before there was a 12 game season.

If you have ZERO or one/two/three ten win seasons, I can understand you using playoff wins as a barometer - since your team has done nothing else worth noting.

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 07:28 AM

The point remains that SEMO only got 2 TD's (pick 6 and fumble return). It isn't like they milked the clock. SIU had the ball enough to put up 469 yards of offense. They punted 4 times and turned it over on downs a 5th time.
I get it. Lame excuses are only valid when made by MVFC fans!

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 08:02 AM
The point remains that SEMO only got 2 TD's (pick 6 and fumble return). It isn't like they milked the clock. SIU had the ball enough to put up 469 yards of offense. They punted 4 times and turned it over on downs a 5th time.
I get it. Lame excuses are only valid when made by MVFC fans!

Your proving my point... Your saying SIU dominated SEMO except on the scoreboard with 14 of their 27 points coming from SEMO's D? It's a good thing that neither of these teams are in any sort of contention for a league championship. I guess next week we will find out where the OVC stands as one of the league leaders has been beaten by 2 MVFC teams. But what you really need to ask yourself is do you think JSU can fly to Fargo and beat the Bison? Or fly to Normal, IL and beat a team who hasn't lost at home since 2012? Or fly to Brookings, SD and play an outdoor game in December? Has any of your kids ever seen snow? Let alone play football in a few inches of it? With recent playoffs as a guide I don't think it would work out too well for you to have any of these teams fly south either.

JaxSinfonian
November 1st, 2015, 08:11 AM
Check the OVC playoff record the last 15 years or so. You'll find just 4 wins, all in one year, with one against the PFL and another against another OVC team

Wow, is it already time for UNI fans to turn any discussion of the playoffs into a history of the OVC's struggles? Must be November. I'll just check ... Yep. Panthers have 4 losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 08:34 AM
Your proving my point... Your saying SIU dominated SEMO except on the scoreboard with 14 of their 27 points coming from SEMO's D? It's a good thing that neither of these teams are in any sort of contention for a league championship. I guess next week we will find out where the OVC stands as one of the league leaders has been beaten by 2 MVFC teams. But what you really need to ask yourself is do you think JSU can fly to Fargo and beat the Bison? Or fly to Normal, IL and beat a team who hasn't lost at home since 2012? Or fly to Brookings, SD and play an outdoor game in December? Has any of your kids ever seen snow? Let alone play football in a few inches of it? With recent playoffs as a guide I don't think it would work out too well for you to have any of these teams fly south either.

Our team can go play with anyone. Might not win every one of the games but we can compete with any team in FCS. You can ask your NDSU fans how coming South has worked for them in the past.

I assume your speaking of EIU who only loss by 3 to the MVC leader? Your team is unbeatable because you beat one of the leaders of a weak ass conference by 3? And has yet to play any of the conference top teams. EIUs true standing will play out in the next few weeks.

mvemjsunpx
November 1st, 2015, 08:39 AM
I think you can relate pretty well with the OVC, not really winning much in December kinda brings y'all together. I'd be loving it in the OVC, you get to play 6 cupcake games a year and only really have to show up for 2 games a year. It doesn't make sense you should be well rested for a deep playoff run that.... But it never happens. See that wasn't about playoff success just the opposite actually.

Yeah, because JSU & EKU didn't take a couple SEC teams to overtime or anything. Oh wait…

Thaaaannnk you. It's just as nauseating as it was with CAA fans 5+ years ago.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah, because JSU & EKU didn't take a couple SEC teams to overtime or anything. Oh wait…

Thaaaannnk you. It's just as nauseating as it was with CAA fans 5+ years ago.

That would be awesome if those were good SEC teams... Lol I'm trying to make this one stretch in the spirit of a good debate.

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 08:45 AM

You are completely missing the point. Man... full moon or something. EIU turned the ball over 5 times. 4 of them were either pick-6 or inside their own redzone. They all turned into points. EIU won the stats battle just as bad as SIU did - even winning time of possession. You want to say "take away the turnovers and SIU wins by a blowout!" Well, guess what? Take away EIU's turnovers AND WIU's turnovers, and there is a greater chance of the outcome changing than the SIU/SEMO game... or at least an equal one.

Regardless, SEMO won, and EIU lost! The idea that your argument is valid only as it applies to a MVFC team takes homerism to a whole new level. The combined intellect of Albert Einstein and Sheldon Cooper couldn't make your argument sound...and this typifies the reason people hold MVFC fans in such disdain. It isn't because you win all the time...most of your teams don't, otherwise you would have 10 win seasons.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 08:48 AM
You are completely missing the point. Man... full moon or something. EIU turned the ball over 5 times. 4 of them were either pick-6 or inside their own redzone. They all turned into points. EIU won the stats battle just as bad as SIU did - even winning time of possession. You want to say "take away the turnovers and SIU wins by a blowout!" Well, guess what? Take away EIU's turnovers AND WIU's turnovers, and there is a greater chance of the outcome changing than the SIU/SEMO game... or at least an equal one.

Regardless, SEMO won, and EIU lost! The idea that your argument is valid only as it applies to a MVFC team takes homerism to a whole new level. The combined intellect of Albert Einstein and Sheldon Cooper couldn't make your argument sound...and this typifies the reason people hold MVFC fans in such disdain. It isn't because you win all the time...most of your teams don't, otherwise you would have 10 win seasons.

Well if an MVFC had 6 cupcake games a year I'm sure you'd see some 10 win seasons out of it....

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 08:49 AM
The playing in a weak conference is an advantage logic is severely flawed. Playing in a weak conference doesn't result in you being rested and ready for a deep playoff run. It results in you getting soft and not being able to handle adversity. There is a reason the SEC won 7 straight national titles by 3 different teams... Iron sharpens iron. Being iron in a valley of butter doesn't help prepare you for squat.

Thankfully, the MVFC appears to be a valley of bronze this season.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 08:49 AM
Well if an MVFC had 6 cupcake games a year I'm sure you'd see some 10 win seasons out of it....

How many teams have you played with a winning record?

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 08:53 AM

Said no great team ever....great teams win where they are. Alabama = 8 straight 10 win seasons. FSU did it over and over. NDSU has done it. Others around the country have done it.

The MVFC is generally the FCS equivalent of Alabama, 5 Mississippi States, and 4 Vandys.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 08:55 AM
How many teams have you played with a winning record?

And the MVFC produced 2 10 win teams last year.... Well 2 with 4 wins over 4-4 teams...JSU has played 2?

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 08:58 AM
The playing in a weak conference is an advantage logic is severely flawed. Playing in a weak conference doesn't result in you being rested and ready for a deep playoff run. It results in you getting soft and not being able to handle adversity. There is a reason the SEC won 7 straight national titles by 3 different teams... Iron sharpens iron. Being iron in a valley of butter doesn't help prepare you for squat.

Thankfully, the MVFC appears to be a valley of bronze this season.

Lol what's the scrap value of bronze compared to iron?... OVC looks pretty Tin like to me.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
And the MVFC produced 2 10 win teams last year.... Well 2 with 4 wins over 4-4 teams...JSU has played 2?

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2015, 09:09 AM
Nice Statement game over a good team. Way to make me feel a little better about where I have you (and my Mocs) in my poll. I have a feeling we will get another crack at you guys this year.

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 09:12 AM
Lol what's the scrap value of bronze compared to iron?... OVC looks pretty Tin like to me.

Is that why you are so hurt that our scarecrow beat yours? SEMO will likely finish 3-4 in conference. They beat SIU, and gave IN State all they wanted (a game they won the stat sheet, but lost the turnover battle and game).

Seriously... looking at game performances, the MVFC looks neither big nor mighty this season. I would like our chances against any team in your conference, and if there is any team in the country you think is a foregone conclusion to beat us, you haven't seen us play - or know little about football aside from "go team!" I am not saying that we WOULD beat any team in the country - that is what the playoffs are for... but if we show up like we did against EKU, I would like our chances.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 09:19 AM
Is that why you are so hurt that our scarecrow beat yours? SEMO will likely finish 3-4 in conference. They beat SIU, and gave IN State all they wanted (a game they won the stat sheet, but lost the turnover battle and game).

Seriously... looking at game performances, the MVFC looks neither big nor mighty this season. I would like our chances against any team in your conference, and if there is any team in the country you think is a foregone conclusion to beat us, you haven't seen us play - or know little about football aside from "go team!" I am not saying that we WOULD beat any team in the country - that is what the playoffs are for... but if we show up like we did against EKU, I would like our chances.

Lol your talking about 2 teams that'll finish in the bottom of the MVFC, but we'll see who's left in January.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM
Lol your talking about 2 teams that'll finish in the bottom of the MVFC, but we'll see who's left in January.

Yeah JSU and EKU would finish at the bottom the MVC and ISUr and NDSU would finish at the bottom of the Pioneer.

RollBirds
November 1st, 2015, 09:40 AM
Yeah JSU and EKU would finish at the bottom the MVC and ISUr and NDSU would finish at the bottom of the Pioneer.

Oh I was talking about SIU and INSTU, but JSU and EKU probs would be a middle of the pack MVFC team. Your toughest game will be next week against EIU, picture having 6 of those in a row. Our easiest game in conference was Missouri State you could imagine having 6 of those in a row bc that's the OVC

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 09:51 AM
Oh I was talking about SIU and INSTU, but JSU and EKU probs would be a middle of the pack MVFC team. Your toughest game will be next week against EIU, picture having 6 of those in a row. Our easiest game in conference was Missouri State you could imagine having 6 of those in a row bc that's the OVC

There are 5 decent teams in the OVC this year. I include SEMO because they beat SIU and loss by one ISUb. If ISUb is a decent team then SEMO has to be. This would only leave you with 4 easy conference games. But I never said we were in the toughest conference. MVC fans are the only would playing SEC card.

Big_Fan
November 1st, 2015, 09:53 AM

So that terrible IN State team that will finish in the bottom half of the MVFC... the one that powered to a 3 point win over SEMO at home... that one... lost by 3 at ISUr? I am fairly certain Chatty would monkey stomp IN State.

SIU is bad...but beat Youngstown, and put a scare into NDSU.

Loyl2u
November 1st, 2015, 10:14 AM
So that terrible IN State team that will finish in the bottom half of the MVFC... the one that powered to a 3 point win over SEMO at home... that one... lost by 3 at ISUr? I am fairly certain Chatty would monkey stomp IN State.

SIU is bad...but beat Youngstown, and put a scare into NDSU. thank goodness we have playoffs and hopefully we'll get to see if some of these great OVC MVFC match ups occurxrolleyesx, injuries, home/ away, etc have lots to do with regular season results. Last year ISUr lost at UNI and squeaked by WIU and ISUb, but at playoff time had been through the grind, just like Big_Fan describes. Everybody said ISUr wasn't for real last year and a SDSU loss next week wouldn't be much different than the UNI loss last year, but a ISUr 10-1 team playing its schedule still should get the nod over OVC 10-1 team in rankings and seeds. Ultimately, just like last year, you have to prove it on the field. Oh yeah, good luck to EIU Panthers.

Cocky
November 1st, 2015, 10:30 AM
thank goodness we have playoffs and hopefully we'll get to see if some of these great OVC MVFC match ups occurxrolleyesx, injuries, home/ away, etc have lots to do with regular season results. Last year ISUr lost at UNI and squeaked by WIU and ISUb, but at playoff time had been through the grind, just like Big_Fan describes. Everybody said ISUr wasn't for real last year and a SDSU loss next week wouldn't be much different than the UNI loss last year, but a ISUr 10-1 team playing its schedule still should get the nod over OVC 10-1 team in rankings and seeds. Ultimately, just like last year, you have to prove it on the field. Oh yeah, good luck to EIU Panthers.
You do know something is going right when everyone is cheering for your opponents.

BisonTru
November 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM
Ten win seasons are really a better barometer of the worth of a team over the long-haul..

This is the argument from every team with a weak conference. But look at our record. To the casual fan, it may be impressive. Once you start digging, and see who they've played and how they did, your opinion may change, sometimes drastically.

With that being said, JSU has been tested three times and performed well in all three occasions. They're doing what you would expect the top team in the country to do with their schedule. They're going to get home playoffs games, and the opportunity to prove how good they really are.

You can hang your hat on a 10 win season, but if you don't perform in the playoffs, I'm not sold.

As always, time will tell.