PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on the lack of ESPN coverage of the FCS

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Lets give them some feed back people! They aren't covering it all and they need to hear about it. Maybe if we give them enough feedback they will listen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

mistersykes
December 8th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I'm a few steps ahead of you. I did this several days ago in anticipation. Good luck though!:thumbsup:

UMassive
December 8th, 2006, 08:00 AM
At the end of the day it's all about the business. No complaints, nothing will be done. There are how many thousand registered users on AGS. We can't change it this year but who knows about next. The four semi finals teams alone will not change ESPN position. Heres what I sent in:

Disappointed with the lack of coverage for the Football Championship Series semi-finals game. While I understand the large bowl games have the greatest following and revenue behind them, I really believe ESPN missed the mark on a great storyline with App. State, Montana, Youngstown and UMass. All four teams Sagarin rank is above several bowl participants and have at least one national championship under their belt. Really think your "half stepping" and we would have been better served by CSTV.

Go UMass!

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Really think your "half stepping" and we would have been better served by CSTV.[/B]

Be careful what you wish for, they cover more 1-AA now then ever before. 1-AA will always get a fraction of the coverage 1-A gets. Honestly how many people even get CSTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
Neither is the BCS, an abomination of college football!

I couldn't agree more, if the BCS is so bad why re-create it with something as stupid as the GPI! xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

appfan2008
December 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Sent a message!

LacesOut
December 8th, 2006, 09:28 AM
What do you mean they're not covering it???? Aren't both games being televised by ESPN?? That's not good enough? Some of you people will never be happy, it seems.

What do you guys want, them to lead off SportsCenter with coverage of it? LOL Lets not forget there is something called the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB free agent signings, and big time college football with the bowl games, BCS, football coaches being hired/fired. And I prolly forgot a few things.

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2006, 09:46 AM
What do you mean they're not covering it???? Aren't both games being televised by ESPN?? That's not good enough? Some of you people will never be happy, it seems.

Truer words aren't spoken very often.

GrizFoo
December 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Kind of off topic...ESPNU and CSTV are both great channels, but even they seem to be severely lacking in coverage of the Football Championship. The final 4 teams each could beat various bowl teams. And those weak bowls with 6/7 win teams in them have absolutely no consequence, and there is absolutely no reason to watch them.

Our playoffs, on the other hand, have excitement and consequences beyond a single game. These media outlets could very easily play up FCS football and the playoffs and get additional people interested in our brand of football. At a minimum they would peak some curiosity amongst fans who know very little about FCS ball. Why no put together some nice highlight spots show just how high of a level I-AA teams played this season.

All indications are that the games this weekend are going to be great games with talented athletes and coaches battling on fields with great fans support and stadiums. The quality of the product will have to speak for itself with very little help from ESPN marketing, and I can't imagine not winning over some BS fans.

Sure ESPN is showing the games...and that is great in itself. But I don't understand why they aren't marketting the games a bit more agressively, trying to steer as many viewers to these games as possible.

lizrdgizrd
December 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM
ESPN doesn't care about the quality of games played, they care about revenue. If we can give them the numbers that get advertisers interested then we'll get more love.

AppAlum2003
December 8th, 2006, 10:14 AM
For those of you frustrated with the lack of coverage, join me at espn.com's SportsNation. Jim Donnan (former Marshall HC) is doing a national chat right now (11:00 EST - noon EST.) If we all send him question after question involving FCS, he might just answer one!

UMass922
December 8th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
Neither is the BCS, an abomination of college football!

I couldn't agree more, if the BCS is so bad why re-create it with something as stupid as the GPI! xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Not speaking for Ralph here; just my own two cents:

What makes the BCS bad, mainly, is not the ranking system in-and-of itself (even though that may have problems of its own); it's that there's no playoff. If the BCS rankings were used to construct a playoff field, I think most of us would have a much much higher opinion of the BCS. Not that I think using the BCS rankings would be the best way to construct a playoff field--I prefer having auto-bids and a good ol' selection committee myself--but at least doing so would lift the BCS above the level of "abomination." We could all at least be happy that the championship would be settled on the field, and then argue about how to tweak the selection process.

Anyway, the point is that the GPI does not recreate the BCS--it recreates the BCS rankings. Big difference. No one's proposing scrapping the I-AA/FCS playoffs and using the GPI to select two teams to play in the championship game--that would be recreating the BCS. The GPI rankings aren't used for anything--other than entertainment. They're certainly not used to select postseason participants in I-AA/FCS. If they were, this year's playoff field would have looked very different.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Not speaking for Ralph here; just my own two cents:

What makes the BCS bad, mainly, is not the ranking system in-and-of itself (even though that may have problems of its own); it's that there's no playoff. If the BCS rankings were used to construct a playoff field, I think most of us would have a much much higher opinion of the BCS. Not that I think using the BCS rankings would be the best way to construct a playoff field--I prefer having auto-bids and a good ol' selection committee myself--but at least doing so would lift the BCS above the level of "abomination." We could all at least be happy that the championship would be settled on the field, and then argue about how to tweak the selection process.

Anyway, the point is that the GPI does not recreate the BCS--it recreates the BCS rankings. Big difference. No one's proposing scrapping the I-AA/FCS playoffs and using the GPI to select two teams to play in the championship game--that would be recreating the BCS. The GPI rankings aren't used for anything--other than entertainment. They're certainly not used to select postseason participants in I-AA/FCS. If they were, this year's playoff field would have looked very different.

:thumbsup: :hurray:

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM
UMass 922 great points about the BCS & you're right the big problem with it is it selects the "2 best teams". Where it's off & it's been proven this year & in past years is the system is flawed, voters flawed it this year & computers have flawed it in the past. They've since de-emphasized the computer portion.

Where my problem with the GPI lies is everyone agrees that the BCS is dumb, the GPI creator & front man admit on occassion that the GPI was indeed borne & created on BCS premises as to say OK after the 8 autobids, through our system which is eerily like a Frankenstein creation similar to the BCS here are the 8 teams that should go in next. At first it was a poor attempt at entertainment purposes but then you hear their PR & supporters talk about it growing in stature. Let's be honest a bunch of college football fan hacks like you, myself & hundreds on here have been proven more accurate than the GPI when it comes to predicting the playoff field over the past 3 years.

We should feel lucky that there is a selection committee that has done a fairly good job over the years selecting the 16 teams for the field. Have there been disagreements over who #16 vs #17 should be & why this team got matched up with that team, sure, there always will be that. However, 1-A is stuck with the BCS system which is a crock. Do yourself a favor & pick up this week's Sports Illustrated & look at their proposal & counter-point to what most of the anti-playoff arguments are, it's very well-written. Watching 1-A college football sometimes is like watching a boxing match that goes the distance & has to be turned over to the judges. Just let them settle it on the field, the BCS denies us that & even though it lacks the "credibility" and the power of it's big brother the GPI really isn't any different. It's like the Yugo was a bad idea for a car, you didn't see another car company come up with the same thing & just call it something different......xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hopefully I didn't write anything that will get censored this time, if I did I'd go back & edit it but the powers that are have restricted my ability to do so.

putter
December 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I agree Bluehenbillk,

I would rather argue about who #16 and #17 was than #1 and #2. :nod:

FlyYtown
December 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I think you guys are overreacting just a bit; of course I have a BS Bias.....
But c-mon: any guy who will be at home tonight or tomorrow afternoon will likely turn on ESPN to see what is on.. It's either that or you watch some mid-major college basketball.

They don't need to make a big deal about these games: the people who wanna watch them... will!

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I think you guys are overreacting just a bit; of course I have a BS Bias.....
But c-mon: any guy who will be at home tonight or tomorrow afternoon will likely turn on ESPN to see what is on.. It's either that or you watch some mid-major college basketball.

They don't need to make a big deal about these games: the people who wanna watch them... will!

I know for a fact that NC State, Carolina, Wake, and ECU fans will all be watching App play this Saturday. This isn't only for these 4 schools.

penguin8797
December 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I had the same thought, but it would be nice to see just a small attempt by ESPN to generate interest. As you said those who already want to watch will do so regardless, but what about the viewers who don't know much about the FCS. The 'borderline' college football viewer might watch if they at least heard about it, especially since a lot of fans have at least heard of the 4 semi-finalist schools this year. Sure many of them will be out at sports bars and such where they will be exposed to it on ESPN anyway, but a little promotion couldn't hurt. Perhaps they will promote the games more on the air today and tomorrow.

I like the point by bluehenbillk about #16 and #17. There will always be an argument about the 'cut off' for a playoff, but when the cut off is at #2 as in the BCS, it is going to cause controversy. When YSU missed the playoffs last year I thought, bummer but if you're #17 you have no room to complain. If you had 16 chances and didn't make it then you can't cry about not making it to #1. If you're #3 however, and in a computer rankings tie with #2 as in the BCS, then you've got something to question. When there's a league like (the former) DI-A with close to 120 teams how can you choose only 2?

BigApp
December 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
give 'em hell, BHBK!

ncguitarplyr
December 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
they have the game times on the ticker...and they even use the right terminology with an added (formerly i-aa)

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Thank you for this thread! Also there are some very good story lines too.
Montana's playoff streak.

App State run for a repeat.
Baylark's 4 1000 yard seasons.
The #37 tradition.
How avid Montana's following is.
Swogger/YSU possible match up, he is from that area.
I want to know about the atmospheres in Boone, Amherst, Youngstown right now.
Any fan can insert many more storylines. Who else is tired of hearing the same old things about BCS matchups, when the damn games are a month away still? Below is what I posted on each semifinal game thread.

ARGH, anyone else frustrated with the lack of coverage the night before by ESPN. At least CSTV took some time for it!!! I have been watching all the espn networks including ESPNU in hope to see some analysis or anything regarding each semi final game. They give more pregame hype the westminster dog show, than D1 football championship!!!!! Would ESPN please give these teams some love and hype!!

Would it not make sense to do something the night before? Some hype would get some more viewers to tune in tomorrow and Saturday. Show some coverage of how crazy Missoula is, how hyped the fans are. Find Umass fans, and ask them about their experience. Do a feature on what the GRIZ have accomplished over the last 20 years. No wonder their ratings suck in comparison to the no name bowl games!!!

ESPN please step it up for the respected teams and communities these teams are representing!!!!! I am so tired of BCS bowl talk one month before they even play the damn games, would it not hurt to give the smaller guys some pub for at least the semis and finals?

After all, I am sure these communities are kissing up to ESPN ass to make them feel comfortable. Where is the love ESPN? I too would love to see some coverage from App State to see how things are over there. Break down the teams, give fans some insight regarding the schools, programs, and communities, etc!!! Am I asking too much? Who else feels some what the way I do?

BigApp
December 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The Sporting News magazine has the championship game in their "On Deck, This I Gotta See" calendar

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'm sure ESPNU has probably had something on it, but then again how many people get ESPNU.

The Luther Campbell of AGS.:nono: :nono:

December 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Since the vast majority of people have either cable or satellite TV there's a good chance that most get ESPNU and CSTV, I know I do and so does most of Chicagoland. If you don't maybe ask your cable company why?

BrevardMountaineer03
December 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM
:hurray: :hurray:
Thank you for this thread! Also there are some very good story lines too.
Montana's playoff streak.

App State run for a repeat.
Baylark's 4 1000 yard seasons.
The #37 tradition.
How avid Montana's following is.
Swogger/YSU possible match up, he is from that area.
I want to know about the atmospheres in Boone, Amherst, Youngstown right now.
Any fan can insert many more storylines. Who else is tired of hearing the same old things about BCS matchups, when the damn games are a month away still? Below is what I posted on each semifinal game thread.

ARGH, anyone else frustrated with the lack of coverage the night before by ESPN. At least CSTV took some time for it!!! I have been watching all the espn networks including ESPNU in hope to see some analysis or anything regarding each semi final game. They give more pregame hype the westminster dog show, than D1 football championship!!!!! Would ESPN please give these teams some love and hype!!

Would it not make sense to do something the night before? Some hype would get some more viewers to tune in tomorrow and Saturday. Show some coverage of how crazy Missoula is, how hyped the fans are. Find Umass fans, and ask them about their experience. Do a feature on what the GRIZ have accomplished over the last 20 years. No wonder their ratings suck in comparison to the no name bowl games!!!

ESPN please step it up for the respected teams and communities these teams are representing!!!!! I am so tired of BCS bowl talk one month before they even play the damn games, would it not hurt to give the smaller guys some pub for at least the semis and finals?

After all, I am sure these communities are kissing up to ESPN ass to make them feel comfortable. Where is the love ESPN? I too would love to see some coverage from App State to see how things are over there. Break down the teams, give fans some insight regarding the schools, programs, and communities, etc!!! Am I asking too much? Who else feels some what the way I do?
:hurray: :hurray:

That's a great post! One of the reasons that I would like to see an App St vs. Montana final is the Montan following and the App following.

I agree that there is a lack of following by major networks. It's upsetting to hear College Gameday talk about what a computer will do to make the National Championship pairings, let's find out about some FCS games. All those conference championship games last week were important, but for 8 schools that don't give as many scholarships as the BS teams we would have liked to hear about our games.
No matter who we pull for I think we can all agree that there needs to be better coverage.

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Since the vast majority of people have either cable or satellite TV there's a good chance that most get ESPNU and CSTV, I know I do and so does most of Chicagoland. If you don't maybe ask your cable company why?

Oh this one's an easy softball.

The reason the vast majority of cable companies DON'T have ESPNU is because ESPN has a well-known stance on charging out the nose for its programming. Cable companies don't want to pay that, so they only take what they absolutely must. Most cable companies don't have more than ESPN, espn2, ESPNews, and ESPNHD. Even espn2HD is still in a small cable market compared to ESPNHD. Forget the little stepbrother of ESPN, ESPNU. Outside of DirecTV and Dish network, it's very sparsely carried.

But I suppose if Chicago has it, then everyone else must, right? :rolleyes:

GannonFan
December 8th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Oh this one's an easy softball.

The reason the vast majority of cable companies DON'T have ESPNU is because ESPN has a well-known stance on charging out the nose for its programming. Cable companies don't want to pay that, so they only take what they absolutely must. Most cable companies don't have more than ESPN, espn2, ESPNews, and ESPNHD. Even espn2HD is still in a small cable market compared to ESPNHD. Forget the little stepbrother of ESPN, ESPNU. Outside of DirecTV and Dish network, it's very sparsely carried.

But I suppose if Chicago has it, then everyone else must, right? :rolleyes:

Agreed, no ESPNU for Comcast subscribers, at least on the East Coast. DirectTV has it as a premium service, but you can't get it at all on cable in this neck of the woods. A number I saw before only had ESPNU in maybe 30% of homes.

UMass922
December 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I agree Bluehenbillk,

I would rather argue about who #16 and #17 was than #1 and #2. :nod:

Well I think we all agree about that. What I don't understand, though, is why some folks believe that the GPI poses a threat to the current I-AA/FCS playoff structure. I just don't see it.

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Honestly too God, I think we know by now how good Troy Smith and Tedd Ginn are by now!!!!!! Also how quickly Urban Meyer has brought u of f back to prominence. I bet the whole damn nation will hear these things 1000's of more times by the time the game is actually played. Just give the nation a 10 minute a night break from it!!! The story line is old. Give us something new, introduce the nation to the products you selling the next 2 weekends!!!!!!!
Maybe BCS fans would tune in, if they heared Montana has 14 straight playoff perfomances and rank higher than many BCS schools in the RPI. Maybe a few would say, "Damn,they just might be good", lets check them out. App State is trying to repeat. Griz fans drive 600 miles each way every damn home game because they love the GRIZ so much. Sell the coaches, mention them as up and coming coaches. Can any of them be the next Tressel or your coach of choice? If you are a gambler, montana is a team to watch. Their is no such thing as conventional play calling on 4th down for the GRIZ!!!
I want to know what makes the folks at Boone, tick!!!! Cripe Sakes ESPN there is so many storylines, educate the fans about the products!!! Do not complain about the ratings, when you make no efforts to promote it!!!

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Honestly too God, I think we know by now how good Troy Smith and Tedd Ginn are by now!!!!!! Also how quickly Urban Meyer has brought u of f back to prominence. I bet the whole damn nation will hear these things 1000's of more times by the time the game is actually played. Just give the nation a 10 minute a night break from it!!! The story line is old. Give us something new, introduce the nation to the products you selling the next 2 weekends!!!!!!!
Maybe BCS fans would tune in, if they heared Montana has 14 straight playoff perfomances and rank higher than many BCS schools in the RPI. Maybe a few would say, "Damn,they just might be good", lets check them out. App State is trying to repeat. Griz fans drive 600 miles each way every damn home game because they love the GRIZ so much. Sell the coaches, mention them as up and coming coaches. Can any of them be the next Tressel or your coach of choice? If you are a gambler, montana is a team to watch. Their is no such thing as conventional play calling on 4th down for the GRIZ!!!
I want to know what makes the folks at Boone, tick!!!! Cripe Sakes ESPN there is so many storylines, educate the fans about the products!!! Do not complain about the ratings, when you make no efforts to promote it!!!

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM
sorry about the double post the computer froze up on the 1st

CSUBUCDAD
December 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
According to my TV schedule one of the games this weekend is on ESPN2 and the other on ESPN. What is the gripe about??

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
What is the gripe about??

Go to ESPN's website and find me an article on any of the teams in the Semi's or even a blurb on the first page of the college football page. There are articles about no date-rape drugs found in some rape case, and about 10 stories on coaching changes of scabby BCS schools. There is absolutely squat about the games that will be played today and tomorrow. :bang:

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I just emailed ESPN, not that it will make a difference this year, but hope to see more coverage for as long as they do the broadcasts.

CSUBUCDAD
December 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Go to ESPN's website and find me an article on any of the teams in the Semi's or even a blurb on the first page of the college football page. There are articles about no date-rape drugs found in some rape case, and about 10 stories on coaching changes of scabby BCS schools. There is absolutely squat about the games that will be played today and tomorrow. :bang:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2668375

BrevardMountaineer03
December 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
According to my TV schedule one of the games this weekend is on ESPN2 and the other on ESPN. What is the gripe about??

My gripe is about the fact that ESPN would rather talk about no name bowls or say the same thing 500 different ways about the BCS Title game then talk about the teams that are in the CS Semis.....I'm not saying the CS playoffs should be put on College Football shows befor the BCS Title Talk, but there should be some reporting on it. If your not part of the BS then you aren't going to get talked about. I'm glad they are showing games on ESPN and ESPN2, I am thankful they have shown more 'interest' by showing some more games. However, they could report on the games, just a 30 second to 1 minute on each game. I know the CS will never 'replace' the BS on shows but we could get some more airtime and analysis, that's all.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2668375

That is a bracket and time schedule, I can't find an article, I really can't. I am not trying to argue with you, there just isn't any coverage :(

BrevardMountaineer03
December 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
That is a bracket and time schedule, I can't find an article, I really can't. I am not trying to argue with you, there just isn't any coverage :(

If you click on the team names in the bracket you will see articles about the quarterfinal games, but they are from the AP, no ESPN personality thoughts (I don't think anyway, I didn't read the articles)

December 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2668375:hurray: e$pn ran one article about the quarterfinal round, the AP recap briefs. WOWEEEEEEE!!!!!!

BTW for those that say be happy they are showing the games, THE NCAA IS PAYING FOR THE GAMES TO BE SHOWN.

CSUBUCDAD
December 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I thought the whole initial bitch was that they were not going to broadcast either semi on a nationwide available ESPN channel. Hence my response and the link.