PDA

View Full Version : rock slide on road to Boone

tarmac
December 8th, 2006, 06:26 AM
One of the major routes to Boone, Hwy 321 has a problem. This would affect drivers coming from Charlotte airport. All routes should be fine.

Posted on Fri, Dec. 08, 2006
U.S. 321 NEAR BLOWING ROCK

Threat of rock slide forcing traffic reroute
Mountain debris blocked road, then 2nd risky area found
MARCIE YOUNG
[email protected]

Motorists on U.S. 321 near Blowing Rock should expect delays for at least several days while workers remove a section of mountain slope that's in danger of falling on the road, a state Department of Transportation engineer said Thursday.

The road was blocked by a rock slide Wednesday and Thursday about a half-mile south of Blowing Rock, said Kip Turner, district engineer for N.C. DOT.

Workers had cleared the debris from that slide on Thursday but then realized that another slide was possible.

"They spent time scouring the adjacent slope and decided that another very large chunk of rock looked imminent -- that something's going to happen with it," he said.

Now, DOT officials plan to remove rock slope, he said.

Coincidentally, one of the companies working on the U.S. 321 expansion project, only a few miles from the site of the rock slide, specializes in removing rock slopes like the one that threatens the road, Turner said.

Representatives of the company will inspect the slope today. The job could take days, or longer, he said.

Meanwhile, authorities were directing traffic through one open lane around the endangered area with a pilot car. The car leads a line of traffic in one direction and then returns, leading a line in the opposite direction.

Delays on Thursday were 15-25 minutes, he said -- and they could be even longer during busy traffic times, such as weekends, when tourists and shoppers flock to Blowing Rock and Boone.

On Saturday, traffic is likely to be even heavier than normal because of an Appalachian State football game in Boone, he said.

Turner urged motorists from Charlotte, Hickory and other points south to use U.S. 421 in Wilkes County as a detour.

"There's a lot of traffic that's headed to the mountains this weekend, so I can really see a lot of traffic backing up," he said.

mistersykes
December 8th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Ooh, this could get ugly. Hope everyone is able to get to the game safely.

james_lawfirm
December 8th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Yucko! Somebody offer the NCDOT some football tickets to get that road opened by Saturday!!

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I always feel uneasy driving that way and seeing signs that say "Falling Rock"

tralfangar
December 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Everyone should call people they know in Charlotte/Gastonia/etc and tell them to come I-77N to 421N....otherwise we'll have like 10k attendance.

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Everyone should call people they know in Charlotte/Gastonia/etc and tell them to come I-77N to 421N....otherwise we'll have like 10k attendance.

I'm sure there are people on it. They have to have a detour in place

appfan2008
December 8th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I hope Charlotte people come anyway... it should be good by SAT. i hope

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I hope Charlotte people come anyway... it should be good by SAT. i hope

Heck, just go on up I-77 to 421. Better road anyway.

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Ooh, this could get ugly. Hope everyone is able to get to the game safely.

I-77 to 421 is better anyway. This is no big deal. People have been avoiding it for months anyway because of blasting for new 321 road construction.xcoffeex