PDA

View Full Version : New Teams for 2007

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Here in NC we've got a new FCS team starting at Campbell University in 2008. Anyone know of new programs for 2007 across the country?

December 7th, 2006, 09:01 PM
don't forget your North Carolina Central!

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM
don't forget your North Carolina Central!
Doh! I knew I was forgetting someone! :p

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
UCA will officially count as a FCS school next year instead of Div II...

Same goes for Winston Salem State...

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
The Helmet Project site lists these new teams (none in I-AA):

Birmingham Southern (III)
Faulkner (NAIA)
Gallaudet (upgrading its club team to Div. III)
Marian, IN (NAIA)
North Carolina-Pembroke (II)
Saint Vincent, PA (III)

HiHiYikas
December 8th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Here in NC we've got a new FCS team starting at Campbell University in 2008. Anyone know of new programs for 2007 across the country?
That will bring us up to 14 D-I programs in NC, I believe. We could have our own 2-division conference and never leave the state.

Husky Alum
December 8th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Faulkner (NAIA)
Marian, IN (NAIA)
Saint Vincent, PA (III)

I thought Birmingham Southern dropped most of its athletic programs after the last academic year.

They actually had a pretty good baseball team and their men's hoops team was a decent mid-major.

It surprises me that they'd start football after dropping hoops and baseball.

DinoDex200
December 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I thought Birmingham Southern dropped most of its athletic programs after the last academic year.

They actually had a pretty good baseball team and their men's hoops team was a decent mid-major.

It surprises me that they'd start football after dropping hoops and baseball.

They didn't drop...when they announced the were making the insane move from DI to DIII, so many players jumped ship that they couldn't field teams in either sport.

They touted adding football as one of the benefits of going to DIII. Alumni were understandably furious.

ncguitarplyr
December 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
^wow id transfer schools

so what conference is campbell and north carolina central gonna be in? big south?

arranger101
December 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM
^wow id transfer schools

so what conference is campbell and north carolina central gonna be in? big south?

NCCU will be MEAC.
xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
December 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
^wow id transfer schools

NCCU is going to the MEAC and Campbell is going to join the PFL.

89Hen
December 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM
NCCU and WSSU in the MEAC. Any talk of going to divisions, having a championship game and dropping the playoff bid?

gr8ness97
December 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM
unfortunantely, too much talk about it...

89Hen
December 8th, 2006, 11:09 AM
That's a shame. It sure looked like you guys played most of the MEAC pretty darn tough this year.

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM
unfortunantely, too much talk about it...

Would you guys oppose a move to a champ game?

If so, would you petition to leave the conference?

I would think that your school would have asked these questions before joining

MplsBison
December 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Faulkner (NAIA)
Marian, IN (NAIA)
Saint Vincent, PA (III)

What are the benefits of being in the NAIA as opposed to NCAA DII or DIII?

I'm wondering why the NAIA hasn't folded yet.

ccd494
December 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM
What are the benefits of being in the NAIA as opposed to NCAA DII or DIII?

I'm wondering why the NAIA hasn't folded yet.

It's for schools who are very small and don't need to deal with admissions standards. In Maine, a few of the satellite campuses that focus more on older students and more technical degrees are still NAIA. Basically, schools like UMaine-Fort Kent, very out of the way, serving primarily a local populace, and kids who normally wouldn't attend college.

Also, I'm siding with Birmingham Southern on their drop to D-III. IIRC, they were hemorraging cash and have a small enrollment. Sometimes you need to make the decision to crap or get off the pot, and for the good of the school as a whole, its better to get off the pot.

Some of us here tend to forget that colleges with athletics are schools first and reasons to have athletics programs second.

Additionally, how cool is it that Gallaudet (a school for the deaf) is going NCAA?

rmutv
December 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Robert Morris benefited from the migration of students from Birmingham Southern, at least in the basketball program. 6'7 sophomore Ifyeani "Iffy" Ehirim has been a great 6th man for the Colonials.

Feel bad for the Birmingham students though. I've heard nothing but good things about the atmosphere around that campus. Shame they were forced to go D-3.

And I concur about Gallaudet going NCAA. Wonderful story.

Keeper
December 9th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Isn't Presbyterian a mostly CS schedule next season?
First year of transition?
Or starting 2008 when they join the Big South?

(excerpt from PC website)
The Bronze Derby game, the centerpiece of Presbyterian College's football rivalry with Newberry College, will not be played in 2007 and officials are uncertain when or if the game will return to PC's schedule as the Blue Hose make their move to NCAA Division I next season.

The annual game, which features a bronzed derby once belonging to a PC student as its trophy, has been contested every year since 1947.

"We suspected that this might be an issue when we made the move to Division I," said PC Athletic Director Bee Carlton.

Carlton said he currently has seven away games confirmed for the 2007 schedule - but none of them will be at Newberry.

lizrdgizrd
December 9th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Isn't Presbyterian a mostly CS schedule next season?
First year of transition?
Or starting 2008 when they join the Big South?

(excerpt from PC website)
The Bronze Derby game, the centerpiece of Presbyterian College's football rivalry with Newberry College, will not be played in 2007 and officials are uncertain when or if the game will return to PC's schedule as the Blue Hose make their move to NCAA Division I next season.

The annual game, which features a bronzed derby once belonging to a PC student as its trophy, has been contested every year since 1947.

"We suspected that this might be an issue when we made the move to Division I," said PC Athletic Director Bee Carlton.

Carlton said he currently has seven away games confirmed for the 2007 schedule - but none of them will be at Newberry.
I'm pretty sure it'll be their first transition year next year. I've got a friend who's a red-shirt there this year.

December 9th, 2006, 10:35 AM
NCCU is going to the MEAC and Campbell is going to join the PFL.Campbell is also talking to the MAAC.