PDA

View Full Version : Tim Murphy - one of the best coaches anywhere right now

bonarae
October 25th, 2015, 10:33 PM
http://harvardmagazine.com/2015/11/murphy-time
(http://harvardmagazine.com/2015/11/murphy-time#)
I think this article deserves its own thread.... discuss.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 25th, 2015, 10:46 PM
He's no Percy Haughton.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2015, 08:23 AM
.....NO MENTION.....UH MURPH'S HIRIN' @ YOU-DEE.....DELAWARE RENIGGED DUH OFFERAH.....IN FAVOR UH KEELER......SO DUH STORY GOES.........KEEP BRAWK!

4211LBLS
October 26th, 2015, 08:51 AM
No doubt about it. Good coach and good staff backed by an endowment that even Obama couldn't spend it all. has over 25 players on squad and over a 100 on aid. Have 2 friends on the current team as well as a close friend coaching.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2015, 09:03 AM
http://harvardmagazine.com/2015/11/murphy-time
(http://harvardmagazine.com/2015/11/murphy-time#)
I think this article deserves its own thread.... discuss.

, said Harvard about their own coach. xlolx

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2015, 10:34 AM
, said Harvard about their own coach. xlolx

Hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2015, 10:46 AM
So... a roster of FBS recruits on full scholarship on a team that is backed by the richest endowment and many wealthy sport alumni and that plays maybe one opponent on par with its talent level annually?

What adversity does he have to face?

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2015, 11:31 AM
So... a roster of FBS recruits on full scholarship on a team that is backed by the richest endowment and many wealthy sport alumni and that plays maybe one opponent on par with its talent level annually?

What adversity does he have to face?

Jeez, Pard4Life, you weren't nearly this cynical when I met you in Easton a few years ago. What changed?

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2015, 12:11 PM
2 things in play

The "Ivy" brand has always been important, but kids are crazy for "brand" name schools these days. In the old days most Harvard students were still from the Northeast, or other "classy" enclaves around the country, and many were still the prep school types. These days it seems high performing students from all corners of the county dream of Harvard, and it trickles down to athletes. It seems like more and more BCS kids are considering and attending Harvard.

The aid package helps a great deal as well.

With that being said Murphy is still a high quality coach. His teams are so fundamentally sound. Nothing fancy, but they just everything well and make few mistakes.

bulldog10jw
October 26th, 2015, 01:58 PM
And sometimes, it takes a while to build a consistent winner

Harvard under Murphy; the first 7 years

'94 4-6
'95 2-8
'96 4-6
'97 9-1
'98 4-6
'99 5-5
'00 5-5

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2015, 03:52 PM
And sometimes, it takes a while to build a consistent winner

Harvard under Murphy; the first 7 years

'94 4-6
'95 2-8
'96 4-6
'97 9-1
'98 4-6
'99 5-5
'00 5-5
And I remember that woeful 2-8 squad! "Hu" doesn't?:(

Go Green
October 26th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Murphy has done an excellent job, no question.

His detractors can only point out his lack of fortitude in scheduling challenging out-of-conference opponents. And they do have a point...

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2015, 07:45 PM

His detractors can only point out his lack of fortitude in scheduling challenging out-of-conference opponents. And they do have a point...

That's their next article:

Harvard Football: One of the Strongest Non-Conference Schedules Anywhere Right Now

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Jeez, Pard4Life, you weren't nearly this cynical when I met you in Easton a few years ago. What changed?

More like: what hasn't changed with the coaching staff! Ah it's Monday and I'm cranky and we havent scored in 10 consecutive quarters. Can we borrow Murphy for a game?

We both have the same problem: national title is a dream.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Al Bagnoli's career could be an example. As long as an Ivy coach wins 5 to 7 League games consistently, it doesn't matter whether you go 1-2 or even 0-3 in a better OOC schedule. The alums who even give FB a second thought generally don't look beyond the IL standings. For some reason, Harvard and/or Murphy haven't seen that.