PDA

View Full Version : Hot Seat and Move Ups

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 04:51 PM
With more than half the season gone. Who might be gone after the season?
I'll start with MVFC-
Getting Hot-
Dale Lennon(SIU)
Joe Glenn(USD)
Warm-
Mark Farley(UNI)

Move Up-
Brock Spack(ISUr)

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Ivy League

Warm -- David Archer, Cornell. His third year has been an unmitigated disaster, but his youth, loyalty, and all-Ivy alum status will get him through at least one more season.

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Dale Lennon still has another year left on his contract. With the financial shape Illinois is in, there won't be any early buyout.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Big Sky IMO-
Hot-
Ron Gould (UC Davis)
Warm-
Mike Kramer (Idaho State)
Rob Ash (Montana State)
Jody Sears (Sac State)

Move Up-
Beau Baldwin (EWU)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM
This is should be interesting for the PL...

Hot
Tavani (Lafayette) - at least by his fans and fans of the PL. He has to go...
Gilmore (Holy Cross)- unless HC posts a winning record the pitchforks will headed he way...

Nearly Hot
Coen (Lehigh) - go 0-4 or 1-3 (with a loss to Lafayette) and he could be gone. 5-6 and he's on a short leash next imo....

Lukewarm
Susan (Bucknell) - a losing season and next year he could be run out
Hunt (Colgate) - If the year ends badly this could move to warm. He took over for a legend who raised the bar. It's been a struggle so far. To be fair, Colgate has overscheduled...

Moving Up
Moorhead (Fordham) - He's going to leave soon. Right?

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 05:22 PM
This is should be interesting in the PL...

Hot
Tavani - at least by his fans and fans of the PL. He has to go...
Gilmore - unless HC posts a winning record the pitchforks will headed he way...

Nearly Hot
Coen - go 0-4 or 1-3 (with a loss to Lafayette) and he could be gone. 5-6 and he's on a short leash next imo....

Lukewarm
Susan - a losing season and next year he could be run out

Moving Up
Moorhead - He's going to leave soon. Right?
Could you add what teams? It's hard to follow, the only PL coach I know is Moorhead.

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Could you add what teams? It's hard to follow, the only PL coach I know is Moorhead.

Tavani - Lafayette
Gilmore - Holy Cross
Coen - Lehigh
Susan - Bucknell

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of how the NDSU OC Polasek is doing. He is so hot and cold. Probably not gone after the season, but he needs to get some kind of offensive identity.

underdawg
October 25th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Lennon ain't going nowhere

melloware13
October 25th, 2015, 06:07 PM
In the CAA, I feel it's more of a retirement watch this year, based on Talley (Nova) and Laycock (W&M) being in 30-something seasons. For possible move-ups, it's between Rocco (UR) and Withers (JMU) this year with me leaning towards Withers based on the FBS seeming locked for program move-ups for a while. Ambrose (TU) and Cosgrove (Maine) seem to be the most safe of the remaining by having better than expected years at their Alma Maters. In order of heat applied for the rest, I see it as (from most to least):
Priore (SBU)
Brock (UD)
McDonnell (UNH)
Gattuso (UA)
Fleming (URI)
Skrosky (EU)

REALBird
October 25th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Spack has often said he loves it at Illinois State. With his son having at least one more year, he's staying at least until his kid is done. A National Championship COULD garner some attention from up I-74 at Illinois. But my gut says unless he goes back to Purdue it better be a can't miss opportunity.

Peems
October 25th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Big Sky IMO-
Hot-
Ron Gould (UC Davis)
Warm-
Rob Ash (Montana State)
Jody Sears (Sac State)

Move Up-
Beau Baldwin (EWU)

IMO, Ash needs to go. MSU has great facilities, great fan support, and should not be satisfied being mediocre in the big sky. We have seen the "highs" that Ash brings to MSU, the Cats can do better and it's now his 9th year, he hit his high four years ago.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Spack has often said he loves it at Illinois State. With his son having at least one more year, he's staying at least until his kid is done. A National Championship COULD garner some attention from up I-74 at Illinois. But my gut says unless he goes back to Purdue it better be a can't miss opportunity.
We thought the same about Bohl. The reality is a MAC job comes his way, and he will be gone, he would double-triple his salary. A NC could expedite things.

IMO, Ash needs to go. MSU has great facilities, great fan support, and should not be satisfied being mediocre in the big sky. We have seen the "highs" that Ash brings to MSU, the Cats can do better and it's now his 9th year, he hit his high four years ago.

I would agree.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2015, 06:19 PM

I got to know Ash and his family fairly well. Why he didn't take a job in the Midwest a of couple years ago is beyond me. He did some nice things at MSU but they really haven't capitalized in their facilities and support. MSU is also a pretty darn good school academically....

His heart and mind always seemed to be in Iowa.

Peems
October 25th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I got to know Ash and his family fairly well. Why he didn't take a job in the Midwest a of couple years ago is beyond me. He did some nice things at MSU but they really haven't capitalized in their facilities and support. MSU is also a pretty darn good school academically....

His heart and mind always seemed to be in Iowa.

Rob Ash is a great man, and incredibly kind and good-spirited. I agree it is interesting that he never left, you clearly know the man better than I, but to me it seems like he has some sort of unfinished business at MSU, he believes he can get them a championship, I disagree(blatant Griz homerism aside), but at this point he is somewhat "stuck." No real recent success, yet not terrible enough to elicit a firing. If MSU falters down the stretch, I think it could be the final nail in the coffin.

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2015, 07:55 PM
This is should be interesting for the PL...

In order...
Gilmore (Holy Cross, 3-4): Remaining: @Lehigh, @ Bucknell, Georgetown. Does he need to go 2-1?
Coen (Lehigh, 3-4): Georgetown, @Colgate, Lafayette. Does he need to go 2-1?
Tavani (Lafayette, 1-7): Safe for 2015. Retirement talk may heat up for 2016, however.
Susan (Bucknell, 3-4): No issue this year.
Hunt: (Colgate, 3-4): No issue this year.
Moorhead (Fordham, 7-1): As many as 20 I-A coaches could be cut. if so, Moorhead will be in someone's mix, if he chooses to.
Sglarlata (Georgetown, 4-4): He'll be around for a while.

Drblankstare
October 25th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Glenn is near the end of his career, the NDSU win helps a lot, I'm guessing they would give him another no matter how the rest of this year turned out.

Drblankstare
October 25th, 2015, 08:08 PM

I have no doubt that Spack loves Ill st, but if you guys win the NC or just get there; I'm guessing if he gets a decent offer he will split for the next level. Obviously the money dictates most decisions.

Model Citizen
October 25th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Kerwin Bell is in the last year of his contract at Jacksonville. If JU football doesn't move up (Big South), Bell might leave. He likes to be his own boss. Could he go to another FCS program?

CFBfan
October 25th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Moorhead (Fordham, 7-1): As many as 20 I-A coaches could be cut. if so, Moorhead will be in someone's mix, if he chooses to.
Sglarlata (Georgetown, 4-4): He'll be around for a while.[/QUOTE]

sgarlata & moorehead are hands down the 2 best coaches in the PL no other HC is even close (IMO).
if sgarlata was @ gate, hc or lu they would be winning!! I would be very surprised if he is not offered several other oppty's biut suspect he will stay in DC as he bleeds hoya colors and loves the area.
on the other hand I would be very surprised if moorehead does not move up

Model Citizen
October 25th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Ash has more wins at Montana State than anyone else. Not only are they not firing him, but he is likely to get an extension through June 2019. Then, a few days short of his 68th birthday, I believe he will retire.

Peems
October 25th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Ash has more wins at Montana State than anyone else. Not only are they not firing him, but he is likely to get an extension through June 2019. Then, a few days short of his 68th birthday, I believe he will retire.

MSU probably won't fire him, and yes, he is their winningest coach, but MSU is capable of much more, (facilities, fan support), that longevity should not equal guaranteed contract.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Rob Ash is a great man, and incredibly kind and good-spirited. I agree it is interesting that he never left, you clearly know the man better than I, but to me it seems like he has some sort of unfinished business at MSU, he believes he can get them a championship, I disagree(blatant Griz homerism aside), but at this point he is somewhat "stuck." No real recent success, yet not terrible enough to elicit a firing. If MSU falters down the stretch, I think it could be the final nail in the coffin.

I completely agree there. He was a super nice guy! Always willing to chat it up in a personable way. He was friends with Lafayette's Frank Tavani. He coached at Juniata College in PA so we had some things in common in terms of geography.

He has a great love for the Iowa Hawkeyes. I'm not sure if he thought one day he could replace Ferentz but I feel like that was dream job.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 08:48 PM
For Montana State and the rest of the Big Sky there is another problem. Salary- MVFC is in the 250k+ range for most, Chris Klieman made 326k last year, Farley is around 300k. Ron Ash is making 155k after a raise in 2012 from 137k. Even by FCS standards that isn't great. How do you get good assistants? Or good head coaches? Even stealing a top D2 coach becomes hard at 150k.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2015, 08:53 PM
For Montana State and the rest of the Big Sky there is another problem. Salary- MVFC is in the 250k+ range for most, Chris Klieman made 326k last year, Farley is around 300k. Ron Ash is making 155k after a raise in 2012 from 137k. Even by FCS standards that isn't great. How do you get good assistants? Or good head coaches? Even stealing a top D2 coach becomes hard at 150k.

That's a good point. Ash has some other pretty darn good perks within the community. Like a membership at an awesome club compliments of MSU. Still, Bozeman is not a cheap place to live. 155k is quite modest all things considered.....

GABison
October 25th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, who is the highest paid coach in the Big Sky?

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 09:02 PM
That's a good point. Ash has some other pretty darn good perks within the community. Like a membership at an awesome club compliments of MSU. Still, Bozeman is not a cheap place to live. 155k is quite modest all things considered.....
Similarly, with the new Portland State coach Barnum. They are paying him 110k. I know he is new, and a move up. If he keeps winning, he could even get stolen by a lower g5 OC position. Hell most G5 jobs would double-triple his salary.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, who is the highest paid coach in the Big Sky?
If I remember right it is Ron Gould at UC Davis at 235k.

CrazyCat
October 25th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Ash made just over $298,000 last year plus perks. If he hits all his bonuses it would be a hair under $450,000.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Ash made just over $298,000 last year plus perks. If he hits all his bonuses it would be a hair under $450,000.
I just googled for 5 minutes, guess the other links I read weren't accurate, you are right. Here is the link, the older one I looked at listed his base, not perks. Base now is 174k. At around 300k, I believe Montana State should find someone that gets you better results.

http://skylinesportsmt.com/contracts-head-coach-rob-ash/

dgtw
October 26th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Kerwin Bell is in the last year of his contract at Jacksonville. If JU football doesn't move up (Big South), Bell might leave. He likes to be his own boss. Could he go to another FCS program?

Central Florida would be a possibility.

ysubigred
October 26th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Hot seat?!?!

The October kid :(

http://www.northplattepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bo-cats.jpg

Mattymc727
October 26th, 2015, 09:43 AM
McDonnell is nowhere near the hot seat. He is the head coach of UNH until retirement. He has 2 Eddie Robinson Awards and just received one last year. He has literally built this program from the ground up over the last 10 seasons, with little resources at his disposal. He is well respected in the coaching ranks and the university adores him. Its been a tough year in Durham but it will be short lived. I wouldn't be surprised if the new stadium is named after the guy.

Sean is not 60 yet, so I dont see him retiring anytime soon. Maybe another 5 years?

mvemjsunpx
October 26th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Big Sky IMO-
Hot-
Ron Gould (UC Davis)
Warm-
Rob Ash (Montana State)
Jody Sears (Sac State)

Move Up-
Beau Baldwin (EWU)

I doubt Davis would can Gould after 3 years, but you never know. His seat might be "warm," but not "hot."

Sears isn't in trouble at all. He signed a multi-year contract after last season and Sac was supposed to drop a bit this year anyway (being down to their 4th. string QB or whatever hasn't helped, either).

eiu1999
October 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I would say Dameron is under a bit of pressure, still have JSU, EKU and UT Martin to finish the season.

Yote 53
October 26th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Joe Glenn is not on any hot seat at South Dakota. No way he is in jeapordy of being fired. The season is starting to turn around, if the Coyotes finish strong it will be up to him whether he wants another year. If the Coyotes fail miserably from here on out he will make the call and step aside. It's a different situation here, this is Joe's swan song and he's doing his best to go out on top. It's Spurrier-like, if Joe believes he is the problem he'll get out of the way so a change can be made.

BisonFan02
October 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Hot seat?!?!

This.....at least the previous guy waited until November to **** the bed..... xlolx

centennial
October 26th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Hot seat?!?!

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/ap-nebraska-spring-football.jpg?w=1000&h=534

centennial
October 28th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Brock Spack gets mentioned in this article for the MN job-

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/minnesota-golden-gophers-jerry-kill-retirement-coaching-candidates-tracy-claeys-brady-hoke-102815

Brock Spack: Perhaps Minnesota goes back for an FCS guy. The 53-year-old former Purdue linebacker has won big at FCS Illinois State, going 52-27. In 2014, his team lost 29-27 to North Dakota State in the FCS title game after beating No. 1 New Hampshire and No. 3 EWU. Spack, a one-time Wyoming DC, is 19-3 in his past 22 games and has the No. 3 team in the country in FCS. His Redbirds team has already beaten three Top 20 FCS teams this season.

Bisonator
October 28th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Brock Spack gets mentioned in this article for the MN job-

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/minnesota-golden-gophers-jerry-kill-retirement-coaching-candidates-tracy-claeys-brady-hoke-102815

Never happen. Spack's history with troubled players is about as opposite of Kill's as you could get and no way would Minnesota want someone like that after Kill. I think Spack probably hurt his FBS chances with the way he handled the Coprich situation but I'm sure some one would hire him. Besides that MN supporters would never stand for an FCS coach.

Big_Fan
October 28th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I would say Dameron is under a bit of pressure, still have JSU, EKU and UT Martin to finish the season.

Seriously? EIU lost a ton after 2013, and you were competitive last season (though you should have beaten UTM to avoid the losing record)... you guys should be used to having a losing season or 2 every 5 years. That is the norm for you...pretty much always has been. EIU has a history of losing in streaks... Bob Spoo was there for 24 years, and lost almost as much as he won.

centennial
October 28th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Never happen. Spack's history with troubled players is about as opposite of Kill's as you could get and no way would Minnesota want someone like that after Kill. I think Spack probably hurt his FBS chances with the way he handled the Coprich situation but I'm sure some one would hire him. Besides that MN supporters would never stand for an FCS coach.
You are probably right. Matt Campbell from Toledo, and Rod Carey from NIU would probably both be better fits.

Sycamore62
October 28th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Seriously? EIU lost a ton after 2013, and you were competitive last season (though you should have beaten UTM to avoid the losing record)... you guys should be used to having a losing season or 2 every 5 years. That is the norm for you...pretty much always has been. EIU has a history of losing in streaks... Bob Spoo was there for 24 years, and lost almost as much as he won.

Theres a lot of unhappy locals and he wasn't hired by the current administration (ad or prez)

Sycamore62
October 28th, 2015, 09:44 PM
And let's not forget, everyone of these coaches thinks he is the answer to another job's problem. If Spack could get a 4 yr $2M /yr contract in the big ten I doubt he could pack his clothes fast enough.

UNI Pike
October 28th, 2015, 09:53 PM
With more than half the season gone. Who might be gone after the season?
I'll start with MVFC-
Getting Hot-
Dale Lennon(SIU)
Joe Glenn(USD)
Warm-
Mark Farley(UNI)

Move Up-
Brock Spack(ISUr)
Farley's seat is at about 33°F. Unless the team has a complete melt down and losses every remaining game this season, that won't change. Even if he was to put up a goose egg for the remainder of the season, Farley would be brought back next year.

I believe that Farley's contract is through 2017-2018 season (someone please correct me if that is incorrect). That would be his youngest son's senior year at UNI. Seems like AD Dannen would wait it out.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

furpal87
October 30th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Comments so far...no SoCon schools mentioned or at least posters..have to believe things are getting warm at Furman with the total inept offensive play. Don't know what is going at Wofford and Samford, but the backsliding this year is cause for concern. Haven't heard much about Chatt coach moving up despite the great job he's done.

Have to believe Rocco would be the favorite for when UVA fires London.

PurpleStreamers
October 30th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Comments so far...no SoCon schools mentioned or at least posters..have to believe things are getting warm at Furman with the total inept offensive play. Don't know what is going at Wofford and Samford, but the backsliding this year is cause for concern. Haven't heard much about Chatt coach moving up despite the great job he's done.

Have to believe Rocco would be the favorite for when UVA fires London.

That UVA job is going to be an odd one. I can't imagine they'll go back to a UR coach AGAIN after London has failed so miserably on them. But with Maryland, South Carolina, and VT all open and arguably more attractive (certainly more money available at all 3) right down the road, it's going to be really tough for them to bring in any kind of bigger name.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2015, 06:25 PM
McDonnell is nowhere near the hot seat. He is the head coach of UNH until retirement. He has 2 Eddie Robinson Awards and just received one last year. He has literally built this program from the ground up over the last 10 seasons, with little resources at his disposal. He is well respected in the coaching ranks and the university adores him. Its been a tough year in Durham but it will be short lived. I wouldn't be surprised if the new stadium is named after the guy.

Sean is not 60 yet, so I dont see him retiring anytime soon. Maybe another 5 years?

You are 100% right about everything; EXCEPT Coach Mac's age. He turned 60 the week of the the W&M game. Suggesting his job is even remotely in jeopardy is as laughable as the suggestion after a couple days into the 2014 NFL season that Tom Brady's job was in jeopardy.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2015, 06:36 PM
That UVA job is going to be an odd one. I can't imagine they'll go back to a UR coach AGAIN after London has failed so miserably on them. But with Maryland, South Carolina, and VT all open and arguably more attractive (certainly more money available at all 3) right down the road, it's going to be really tough for them to bring in any kind of bigger name.

It's your guy, Coach Withers that I think may go to one of the jobs you mention.

centennial
October 31st, 2015, 09:10 PM
After tonight, I don't understand why Rob Ash isn't in trouble. Clearly, cannot get MSU over the hump.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2015, 09:14 PM
After tonight, I don't understand why Rob Ash isn't in trouble. Clearly, cannot get MSU over the hump.

I'm with you. I think the pressure is starting to finally grow. His contract is up this summer iirc...

Montana State has elite facilities and fan support at the FCS level. They should be more of a contender on the national level....

centennial
October 31st, 2015, 09:20 PM
I'm with you. I think the pressure is starting to finally grow. His contract is up this summer iirc...

Montana State has elite facilities and fan support at the FCS level. They should be more of a contender on the national level....
They need a new DC for sure. I am not sure if Rob runs the defense much, surely they can steal a good d2, or maybe a MVFC d line coach.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 31st, 2015, 09:22 PM
Lennon should be gone at SIU but is he still under contract? or how long under contract still....

He hasn't gotten it done at SIU except with Kill's recruits.

Bisonator
October 31st, 2015, 09:30 PM
Maybe SIU and MSU should work out a trade?

centennial
October 31st, 2015, 09:33 PM
Maybe SIU and MSU should work out a trade?
It would be a bad deal for SIU. They are average in the MVFC but they would get into the playoffs from the Big Sky. Sagarin ranks them as 3rd in the Big Sky.

ST_Lawson
October 31st, 2015, 10:21 PM
Lennon should be gone at SIU but is he still under contract? or how long under contract still....

He hasn't gotten it done at SIU except with Kill's recruits.

He won't be out until they can get rid of him without any buyout. Us IL schools don't really have any spare $ these days.