PDA

View Full Version : What Happened?

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
This week is tough to be a poll voter. I've now got a clear number one in my poll, but I'm having a little trouble with 2-25.

CID1990
October 25th, 2015, 04:12 AM
This week is tough to be a poll voter. I've now got a clear number one in my poll, but I'm having a little trouble with 2-25.

How many more teams do we have to beat before we can get a #20?

Or at least more votes than teams like Jacksonville?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2015, 05:46 AM
I'm not really sure what happened elsewhere, but Richmond manhandled JMU up front and beat them by 10. I hope that helps you out.

Catatonic
October 25th, 2015, 05:59 AM

My top 5 were easy enough to pick. 6-10 somewhat easy. 10-20 I struggled a bit with. 21-25 was a crap shoot. It's hard to gauge strength of one conference over another with very limited data. Conferences that play 9 game conference schedules may only have one FCS OOC game, two at best.

Other questions--Are teams with winning records from average conferences more poll-worthy than teams with losing records from strong conferences? What to do with traditional powers that are struggling a bit this year versus teams without prior-year status who are killing it this year? What to do with teams that stumbled badly early but who appear to be getting stronger?

In the end, I admit to some bottom of the poll bias toward teams from my conference. No apologies though. Who is to say a 3-4 team with a losing conference record should be ranked above a team from my conference with a winning record, even though my conference might be not quite as strong top to bottom as yours?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2015, 07:34 AM

IIRC, I have El Cid at #18.

Smitty
October 25th, 2015, 08:00 AM
My top 5 were easy enough to pick. 6-10 somewhat easy. 10-20 I struggled a bit with. 21-25 was a crap shoot. It's hard to gauge strength of one conference over another with very limited data. Conferences that play 9 game conference schedules may only have one FCS OOC game, two at best.

Other questions--Are teams with winning records from average conferences more poll-worthy than teams with losing records from strong conferences? What to do with traditional powers that are struggling a bit this year versus teams without prior-year status who are killing it this year? What to do with teams that stumbled badly early but who appear to be getting stronger?

In the end, I admit to some bottom of the poll bias toward teams from my conference. No apologies though. Who is to say a 3-4 team with a losing conference record should be ranked above a team from my conference with a winning record, even though my conference might be not quite as strong top to bottom as yours?

The Socon is pretty much in that position. You have a UTC 6-1 (ranked), Citadel 5-2 (not yet ranked in the 25), and WCU 5-2 (maybe 43rd currently). Everybody started so low in peoples polls that it is hard to get 2 or 3 teams in the top 25. Oh and you have to win OOC games as well.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 08:20 AM

That's almost where I have you....Win one more and I'll have you about 16 or 17....unfortunately for the Dogs, there are a bunch of good football teams still winning to. That said, I don't feel there is that much difference in the teams in the 12-25 slots.

dbackjon
October 25th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Portland St should be top 5

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 08:22 AM
I'm not really sure what happened elsewhere, but Richmond manhandled JMU up front and beat them by 10. I hope that helps you out.

If you guys find a defense in the next few weeks, you are going to be hell to deal with in the playoffs.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 08:24 AM

I think this is a very common bias, and since we are all from different conferences....it all works out.

Catatonic
October 25th, 2015, 08:25 AM
The Socon is pretty much in that position. You have a UTC 6-1 (ranked), Citadel 5-2 (not yet ranked in the 25), and WCU 5-2 (maybe 43rd currently). Everybody started so low in peoples polls that it is hard to get 2 or 3 teams in the top 25. Oh and you have to win OOC games as well.

I have two SCon teams in my Top 25, one top 5.

jmu007
October 25th, 2015, 08:29 AM
If you guys find a defense in the next few weeks, you are going to be hell to deal with in the playoffs.

I actually felt the Richmond defense looked pretty solid last night. JMU got to 49, but I would put that more on that's just JMU's game this season more than anything Richmond did or didn't do. They were the 1st team to take away the up the middle zone plays at least.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Richmond forced JMU under Vad Lee to punt 4 times. Any idea how many Vad Lee led drIves resulted in a punt prior to yesterday?

jmu007
October 25th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Richmond forced JMU under Vad Lee to punt 4 times. Any idea how many Vad Lee led drIves resulted in a punt prior to yesterday?

That's probably about right. I think they normally end up punting 3-4 times per game. They run so many plays normally that they just kind of blend in most weeks.

Kemo
October 25th, 2015, 08:55 AM
I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a true front runner(s) for the national championship this year. There are really about 10ish teams that all have a chance but have significant flaws that could get them booted out of the playoffs if they are lined up against the wrong type of team.

Maybe a team or two will start ironing out their wrinkles as the season winds down, but right now it's wide open.

jmu007
October 25th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a true front runner(s) for the national championship this year. There are really about 10ish teams that all have a chance but have significant flaws that could get them booted out of the playoffs if they are lined up against the wrong type of team.

Maybe a team or two will start ironing out their wrinkles as the season winds down, but right now it's wide open.

This. You nailed it.

kalm
October 25th, 2015, 09:06 AM

Over-all SOS. There are entire conferences that tend to schedule weak OOC as well as having only a few tough teams within. Give some of these 5-2 or better, ORV and ranked teams Cal Poly's schedule and they'd be 1-6 or perhaps even 0-7.

FTR, I've had Citadel ranked for a couple of weeks now, UTC in the top 10 the entire season, and WCU is seriously catching my eye.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 09:13 AM

So true, the Playoffs are often times more about peaking at the right time and staying healthy, than they are about having the Dominate team all season long (However, NDSU has kind of been the exception to that rule of late).

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I actually felt the Richmond defense looked pretty solid last night. JMU got to 49, but I would put that more on that's just JMU's game this season more than anything Richmond did or didn't do. They were the 1st team to take away the up the middle zone plays at least.

I watched too, there were plays where they look decent in stopping JMU...but ultimately they gave up 49 points and 585 yards (5.6 yards per rush). That is not Solid Defense, even against Vad Lee.

I think the big win goes to UR's O....not just for scoring so much, but controlling the clock. Keep in mind JMU put up those numbers with only 22 minutes TOP. Richmond's best Defense was their Offense keeping the Dukes Offense on the sideline. Either way, Great game, good win!!!

Houndawg
October 25th, 2015, 10:10 AM
This. You nailed it.

Who is healthy and who is hot at the end of the season...

McNeese75
October 25th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Who is healthy and who is hot at the end of the season...

xthumbsupx Always the biggest factor in advancing in the playoffs.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Citadel has been in my top 25 for two weeks.

Tribal
October 25th, 2015, 11:13 AM
It's going to be a great week for you, isn't? Play the lottery and call Kate Upton for a sleepover because this is your time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MacThor
October 25th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Where are we going to find that defense? Bend but don't break will only take you so far. An opponent down the road is probably going to win the time of possession battle and we'll see.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Where are we going to find that defense? Bend but don't break will only take you so far. An opponent down the road is probably going to win the time of possession battle and we'll see.

It took you Past JMU yesterday....but I think you are right, play a team that controls the clock as well as you do and the outcome might not swing in your favor.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2015, 01:10 PM

I'm pretty sure you have crossed that hurdle this past weekend. Anybody not putting The Citadel in at this point is just not doing their homework if you ask me.

Gangtackle11
October 25th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure you have crossed that hurdle this past weekend. Anybody not putting The Citadel in at this point is just not doing their homework if you ask me.

The Citadel has been in past 2 weeks on my ballot. Well deserved.

UNIFanSince1983
October 25th, 2015, 07:45 PM
At this point I think if you make the playoffs you are a contender for the championship this year.

veinup
October 25th, 2015, 08:09 PM
At this point I think if you make the playoffs you are a contender for the championship this year.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21534&stc=1