PDA

View Full Version : For wofford, no 2007 playoffs would be disappointing

woffordgrad94
December 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
The Terriers will be returing a lot of starters from a team that closed out 2006 with a lot of momentum and confidence and didn't miss the playoffs by much.

In my opinion, the 2007 edition of the team should be very good, barring a lot of key injuries.

With Georgia Southern out of the picture for now, the Terriers seem to have a shot at winning the SoCon. Failing that, we should at least get in as an at-large. I'm guessing that Appalachian State and Furman will be the Dogs' major competition (I'm not sure how many seniors those guys will be losing, though it is worth mentioning that the Paladins kind of slid at the end of the year a bit), with an improving Citadel team as a dark horse. Elon also seems to be on the way up. Georgia Southern seems to be in a state of turmoil right now, and it's hard to imagine Chattanooga or Western Carolina improving enough to contend in 2007. I guess I may be going with my heart just a little bit here, but here goes:

1. Wofford (gets ASU at home, but must go to Furman and Citadel, 6-1)
2. Appalachian State (6-1)
3. Furman (5-2)
4. The Citadel (4-3)
5. Elon (3-4)
6. Georgia Southern (3-4)
7. Chattanooga (1-6)
8. Western Carolina (0-7)

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm trying to look back at the last score of the ASU-Wofford game in Spartanburg... I think the scoreboard blew out after the third quarter from overuse by ASU, didn't it? :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, Wofford is going to struggle to get higher than third in my opinion. ASU and Furman will be as good or better than this year, for starters. GSU is the real wildcard depending on how their coaching situation plays out, but I imagine you'll be fighting them for that spot but it's just as likely GSU gets back into the Big Three.

You guys play solid football, but you lack the playmakers to really make the next step. Teams like Wofford need all the pieces to fall in place to win the conference and I just cannot see that happening with ASU and Furman in the mix.

OL FU
December 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
The Terriers will be returing a lot of staters from a team that closed out 2006 with a lot of momentum and confidence and didn't miss the playoffs by much.

In my opinion, the 2007 edition of the team should be very good, barring a lot of key injuries.

With Georgia Southern out of the picture for now, the Terriers seem to have a shot at winning the SoCon. Failing that, we should at least get in as an at-large. I'm guessing that Appalachian State and Furman will be the Dogs' major competition (I'm not sure how many seniors those guys will be losing, though it is worth mentioning that the Paladins kind of slid at the end of the year a bit), with an improving Citadel team as a dark horse. Elon also seems to be on the way up. Georgia Southern seems to be in a state of turmoil right now, and it's hard to imagine Chattanooga or Western Carolina improving enough to contend in 2007. I guess I may be going with my heart just a little bit here, but here goes:

3. Furman (5-2)
4. The Citadel (4-3)
5. Elon (3-4)
7. Chattanooga (1-6)

I think Wofford should be in the running for the conference. Furman returns a large portion of there starters and most of their 2 deep.
Furman slid but I think most of it was due to injuries ( I hope anyway) and since Wofford usually doesn't beat Furman it would be hard to put you guys ahead of us.

I think you have the right four teams at the top( not the right order) playing for the title. (At least at this point in time) Georgia Southern is once again the dark horse. Just hard for me to believe they will not do better than last year.

On the other hand, if Appalachian wins the NC again they will be so hard to get along with that all the SoCon coaches will be trading players before the ASU games just so they can't three-peat:D

james_lawfirm
December 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
if Appalachian wins the NC again they will be so hard to get along with ... :D

Not for me!! ;) ;) ;)

AppGuy04
December 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
if Appalachian wins the NC again they will be so hard to get along with that all the SoCon coaches will be trading players before the ASU games just so they can't three-peat:D

Hey now, some of us are tolerable OL

woffordgrad94
December 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
That Wofford team App State pummeled two years ago in Spartanburg sucked anyway. We lost to Western Carolina and Chattanooga, both of which are totally unacceptable. Yes, they were road games, but we should beat them anywhere...I don't care if the game's on the moon! I don't mean any disrespect to those folks, but if we want to be a big dog, we can't lose to teams typically at the bottom of the standings.

By the way, I think that loss I gave to Wofford in my predictions will be to Furman in Greenville. The Paladins seem to have our number more than anyone else in the conference, even the great App. State.

Oh, and Georgia Southern will NEVER beat us next year in Spartanburg. NEVER, EVER, EVER!!! If they do, I will run around my block naked, and maybe even post a naked picture of myself on AGS... ladies, root hard for GSU!!! Oh, and I DO mean some disrespect for GSU... their folks were rude to me before, and they can kiss my naked butt. I LOVE beating them because it shocks them every year!

mrfeem
December 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
:D If you look at the Mountaineers roster from top to bottom there are not many seniors in key positions. We are a very young team at key positions and we will continue to have lineman that get the job done !
Coaching has a lot to do with wins and losses and we feel that we have the best bunch in the SOCON. The recruits are eager to play in Boone at
The ROCK!!

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
The Terriers will be returing a lot of starters from a team that closed out 2006 with a lot of momentum and confidence and didn't miss the playoffs by much.

3. Furman (5-2)
4. The Citadel (4-3)
5. Elon (3-4)
7. Chattanooga (1-6)

I don't necessarily agree with the rankings, but I do agree that Wofford should make the playoffs next year. You guys played awesome at KBS this season and finished the season well. Not making the playoffs next year would be a disappointment. I hope you guys can do it, we need more black and gold teams in the playoffs...God knows there's been enough purple and gold to go around for a while.

I think ASU is slowly working its way to playing every purple and gold team in the country.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
GSU is still a question mark IMO, even though I am still pessimistic. We could improve sort of like how ASU did between '04 and '05.

Baldy
December 7th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Oh, and Georgia Southern will NEVER beat us next year in Spartanburg. NEVER, EVER, EVER!!! If they do, I will run around my block naked, and maybe even post a naked picture of myself on AGS... ladies, root hard for GSU!!! Oh, and I DO mean some disrespect for GSU... their folks were rude to me before, and they can kiss my naked butt. I LOVE beating them because it shocks them every year!
Pray these words don't come back to haunt you.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Even if App doesn't win the NC (which I believe they will) RB Kevin Richardson and QB Armanti Edwards are returning, they lose All Conference TE, WR, T, and G. I think the '2nd team' has played alot this year to be strong next year. You can't count on beating App, even in Spartanburg.
Also, Western was showing some promise, then their whole defensive line got hurt, I'm not saying they will via for the Conference Championship, but can't count them out.
Also, I never look past GSU, they are always tough or at least play tough.

I think ASU will win the SoCon again, but I hate the 3 straight weekends, when we have Wofford, GSU, and FU. Those 3 weekends get me on edge. But I still see ASU on Top, but it will be a dogfight.

Wofford won't be a push over though.

ncguitarplyr
December 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
wofford will be in competition for 2nd in the socon and i think they will definitly get an at-large bid but app is gonna have another incredible recruiting class no matter what so i think app is gonna 3peat the socon at least

AppGuy04
December 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Judging by the conclusion to this season, Wofford will be very good, but to predict them to be #1 in the conference is a little optimistic IMO

Saint3333
December 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I think ASU will win the SoCon again, but I hate the 3 straight weekends, when we have Wofford, GSU, and FU. Those 3 weekends get me on edge. But I still see ASU on Top, but it will be a dogfight.

The SoCon schedule will be different next year from what I've heard, haven't seen anyone's yet though. I hope we can keep the alternating home and away games though.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
The SoCon schedule will be different next year from what I've heard, haven't seen anyone's yet though. I hope we can keep the alternating home and away games though.

I do like having to go to only 1 of either GSU or FU, I wouldn't want to go away to both in the same regular season, if we had to for the playoffs, fine, but not for the regular season title.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I think Wofford will fight FU for the #2 spot in the SoCon next year. I think it's going to take GSU another year or two before they settle in with their new coach. It should be a good race between Elon and the Citadel for #4 & #5 for at least the next few years. I'd love to see us move up in the GPI conference rankings.

gophoenix
December 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Western has no place to go but up. They should be better. UTC should be as good next year as this year. I mean, they looked like the gave up for the last game. Outside of that, they were in it for most of the games they played.

The Citadel I think is a team to watch next year. And GSU has the players, they just don't have the coach if you ask me. They could swing either way in lots of games.

App and Furman both lose some key players but still will be deep.

Wofford always manages to get players that no one else wants and makes a team out of them. A true credit to Ayers. They'll be up there.

Elon loses very little; really only 3 key players (Hall, Nkang and Redden). Should be a better year overall. And starting out with W&M (or is it Richmond), Towson and USF should help us prep better for the SoCon schedule.

I think the conference overall is better next year than this. It'll be interesting again.

dungeonjoe
December 7th, 2006, 10:01 PM

1. Don't judge all GSU fans by the few you have encountered; just as I hope folks don't judge Wofford by just you and me.

2. Disrespect usually breeds an arrogance that will bite you hard down the road.

3. Be careful in your comments, young AGS terrier padewon. There are many Jedi masters on the AGS board, who will remember your words on a cold Fall evening when Wofford loses to GSU at some point in the future. I think the AGS moderator might even be convinced to let you post the nude pictures of yourself--- complete with crow feathers dangling from your mouth.:nod:

The top of the conference is always a fight. It takes skill and luck to make it through-- the luck being few or no injuries to key players. I was satisfied with how things turned out this year, especially against USC and the close way we played App. (better than anyone thus far, I think).

Does that translate to next year? Maybe. App and FU are traditionally loaded. They recruit well and get great players. Wofford strength is getting really good players to match its system needs. If we can get some good speed in these positions-- look out. If not, we get points for good consistent execution. Until we defeat APP or FU (as well as others in the conference), we will always end up at best third unless someone else screws up--- which ain't common with these teams.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
:mad:
Even if App doesn't win the NC (which I believe they will) RB Kevin Richardson and QB Armanti Edwards are returning, they lose All Conference TE, WR, T, and G. I think the '2nd team' has played alot this year to be strong next year. You can't count on beating App, even in Spartanburg.
Also, Western was showing some promise, then their whole defensive line got hurt, I'm not saying they will via for the Conference Championship, but can't count them out.
Also, I never look past GSU, they are always tough or at least play tough.

Richardson is going to be back? #^%^$#^%% how much longer does he have? :mad:

tralfangar
December 7th, 2006, 11:31 PM
He will be a senior next year. We also return Corey Lynch for his senior year.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM
[/QUOTE]
3. Furman (5-2)
4. The Citadel (4-3)
5. Elon (3-4)
7. Chattanooga (1-6)
8. Western Carolina (0-7)[/QUOTE]

Has Georgia Southern really fallen that far that fast? What happened?

youwouldno
December 8th, 2006, 01:09 AM
You never know how things will turn out, but I do think the SoCon will definitely be stronger overall next year. Within the conference, Furman has a chance with App St coming to Greenville, but the Paladins are going to have to improve and figure out how to stay healthy. Wofford has a good shot at a playoff bid but winning the conference is a longshot.

I think WCU will continue to struggle but otherwise its pretty wide open.

lizrdgizrd
December 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Western has no place to go but up. They should be better. UTC should be as good next year as this year. I mean, they looked like the gave up for the last game. Outside of that, they were in it for most of the games they played.

The Citadel I think is a team to watch next year. And GSU has the players, they just don't have the coach if you ask me. They could swing either way in lots of games.

App and Furman both lose some key players but still will be deep.

Wofford always manages to get players that no one else wants and makes a team out of them. A true credit to Ayers. They'll be up there.

Elon loses very little; really only 3 key players (Hall, Nkang and Redden). Should be a better year overall. And starting out with W&M (or is it Richmond), Towson and USF should help us prep better for the SoCon schedule.

I think the conference overall is better next year than this. It'll be interesting again.
That's a pretty good OOC schedule there. Elon is definitely stepping up! You guys win 2 of those 3 and you'll have a great SoCon season too.

Death Dealer
December 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Oh, and Georgia Southern will NEVER beat us next year in Spartanburg. NEVER, EVER, EVER!!! If they do, I will run around my block naked, and maybe even post a naked picture of myself on AGS... ladies, root hard for GSU!!!!

Unless you just really have an urge to run around your block naked (and if you do, then that's cool and all), this will come back to haunt you. Most of the guys on this board have really long memories. Luckily for you, based upon the reactions of most of them to this season, that does not include alot of the GSU folks.xlolx

Death Dealer
December 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I think Wofford will fight FU for the #2 spot in the SoCon next year. I think it's going to take GSU another year or two before they settle in with their new coach. It should be a good race between Elon and the Citadel for #4 & #5 for at least the next few years. I'd love to see us move up in the GPI conference rankings.

Nah, we'll let you guys fight over #2, we'll just go ahead and take the #1 spot next year.:D

lizrdgizrd
December 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Nah, we'll let you guys fight over #2, we'll just go ahead and take the #1 spot next year.:D
Somehow I doubt it's going to be that easy for you! :smiley_wi

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM
:D If you look at the Mountaineers roster from top to bottom there are not many seniors in key positions. We are a very young team at key positions and we will continue to have lineman that get the job done !
Coaching has a lot to do with wins and losses and we feel that we have the best bunch in the SOCON. The recruits are eager to play in Boone at
The ROCK!!

Several key linemen graduating. Byrom, Orlebar, Knox, Robertson, Isenhour.

CCU97
December 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM
The key for App St. to continue will be to have more linemen step up again next year...I don't see that as a problem....they grow some pretty big and nasty linemen up on that mountain. The one thing everyone has avoided is that App St. will have their top two running threats back in a great RB and a very fast QB. Richardson and Edwards will make it tough for anyone to climb above them. Not to mention a very stingy D.

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Several key linemen graduating. Byrom, Orlebar, Knox, Robertson, Isenhour.

According to Coach Moore, the linemen we are redshirting this year are going to be as good or better than these guys. I think we are going to start to see the recruiting boon the title last year brought us come into play really quickly. A repeat, should it occur, would only make it even better for us.

OL FU
December 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
The key for App St. to continue will be to have more linemen step up again next year...I don't see that as a problem....they grow some pretty big and nasty linemen up on that mountain. The one thing everyone has avoided is that App St. will have their top two running threats back in a great RB and a very fast QB. Richardson and Edwards will make it tough for anyone to climb above them. Not to mention a very stingy D.

I don't think any one is questioning ASU's ability to compete for the top spot again. ( well maybe some people)

At the start of this year, I thought 2007 would be Furman's year. But we have some major improving to do from this year. This is two years in a row of very close games that should not have been close. And the two blow outs this year sting badly. Everyone but the following looks like certain competition. Georgia Southern - the big question mark. They could compete next year but only time will tell. Chattanooga- I refuse to join the typical chorus of people that say this is the year. 2006 was the year - not. Western - was it really injuries that made them go from an expected 2006 competitor to the bottom? I don't know.

I do think we will have five or six teams with a real possibility of competing for the title.

AshevilleApp
December 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
As far as I can tell ASU loses seniors to the following 9 starting positions

WR-Mayfield
TE-Bettis
OL-Robertson
OL-Isenhour
DL-Byrom
DL-Murrell
DL-Orlebar
LB-Smith
SS-Wiggins

There is plenty of receiver depth to cover the loss of Mayfield with Dominique Wilson most likely getting into the action more as the "big physical" receiver. Titus Howard will probably jump in and cover Wiggins role. Jacque Roman has already been playing for Cam Speer in the middle so likely he will move over to Smith's slot or cam will. Nick Cardwell has already shown that he can man the TE slot

BTW, Byrom's brother is on the roster "Llord Byrom" gotta love that name!!

ncguitarplyr
December 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
damn losing those guys will be a big hit

Seven Would Be Nice
December 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Next year the SoCon will be a force to reckon with. GSU will be back in full force, and everyone else seems to be getting better and better each year.

ncguitar, I love that signature. did you make that before yall played Furman?:hurray: :hurray: