PDA

View Full Version : Keydets 28, Mecer 21

kdinva
October 24th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Finally, first SoCon win for Coach Wach. First road win in five years (Chuck South).

It was a hairy final 34 minutes. VMI jumped to a 14-0 lead in the first 10 minutes (TD drive, Mercer fumble on their first play, TD drive). Mercer with two nice scoring drives in the 2nd period, they have fine team speed on offense. VMI with two more scores in first half, plus two other drives in 2nd quarter that ended inside MU's 10 (fumble, failed on 4th and 5 at the end of the half).

2nd half: MU takes kickoff and drives to score and make it 28-21. al cobb with three picks in 2nd half (two were poor choice of a long pass into coverage, and one on a batted ball at the MU 10). Finally in 4th period VMI drives inside MU's 30 (a 49 yard catch and run by Forlines extended the drive). But the keydets stall and a pooch punt to the MU 12 set the stage for the final try for MU. They get to the vmi 25 w/2 minutes to play, but VMI forces three incompetions, then a 4th down swing pass was thwarted when Damian jones with a super open field, one on one tackle to stop Mercer short of the first down by 5 yards. VMI takes 3 knees to run out the clock.

VMI's Aaron Sanders, a school record 16 catches for 218 yards, but an unfortunate lost fumble at the MU 6 in the 2nd period. VMI could have been up 42-14 at the half.....but credit to Mercer for coming out strong in 2nd half, but the Keydets only allowed the one scoring drive by the bears to start the 2nd half. Hard to believe no scoring the final 23 minutes of this game.

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Mercer still has a lot of opportunities but I expected a big jump from them this year. Instead VMI is the team that has taken the huge step.

catamount man
October 24th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Congrats Keydets!

BullDog85
October 24th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Congrats to the Roos. See ya in 2 weeks.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 24th, 2015, 07:44 PM
At least, the FCS land military schools won this week!

spdram
October 24th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Congrats Keydets, I think you have a good Coach, this is the best Keydet edition I've seen in awhile.

citdog
October 24th, 2015, 11:36 PM
The Institute was heard from on this day! Should be a good one in General Hagood's House in a couple of weeks.

ElCid
October 25th, 2015, 12:13 AM
The Institute was heard from on this day! Should be a good one in General Hagood's House in a couple of weeks.

I just wish they did not have Wofford the week prior. A little extra practice against the TO. It will be tough enough against the Keydets. I will be there for my 30th.

CID1990
October 25th, 2015, 03:22 AM
I just wish they did not have Wofford the week prior. A little extra practice against the TO. It will be tough enough against the Keydets. I will be there for my 30th.

I'll be there for my 25th!

GO DOGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
October 25th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Mercer still has a lot of opportunities but I expected a big jump from them this year. Instead VMI is the team that has taken the huge step.

As I have told my Mercer friends, Mercer can take a step forward and end up with a lesser record. Their schedule gets more difficult every year, and this year's slate is testing their depth and talent in a way that the others did not.

I will say that you have to play Mercer 4 quarters. I'm not sure how many SoCon games they have played where they were down two scores or more at some point during the contest and ended up pulling things tight by the end. I bet it is a majority of them. They'll fight you the entire game.

That said, when I saw VMI play Furman a few weeks ago I commented that VMI was going to surprise some folks. They have a talented QB, a decent defense, and a good supporting cast on offense.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 10:00 AM
VMI (especially with Cobb and forlines) has the ability to score on every drive. IF they can get out of their own way, they will win a bunch of games.

In future years, I doubt they will be a major factor in the SoCon, but they will be a solid mid range team that you have to watch out for. They probably won't take home the SoCon hardware, but they will be a team that has the ability to ruin somebody's year.

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I will say that you have to play Mercer 4 quarters. I'm not sure how many SoCon games they have played where they were down two scores or more at some point during the contest and ended up pulling things tight by the end. I bet it is a majority of them. They'll fight you the entire game.

Mercer has lost 7 of the 9 total SoCon games lost by an average of 4 points.
Mercer has lost 8 of the 9 total SoCon games lost by an average of 5.25 points.
Mercer has lost 9 of the 9 total SoCon games lost by an average of of 7.78 points.

1 28 point loss in 2014. 1 14 point loss in 2014. All other losses by 1 score, with the ball, and an opportunity to win in the 4th quarter.

VERY HARD for Team to 'take' & hard for Mercer Fans to understand.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Mercer has lost 9 of the 9 total SoCon games.

VERY HARD for Team to 'take' & hard for Mercer Fans to understand.

Sorry, I had to point this out.

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I had to point this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU

tenNesseeCat
October 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Congrats VMIxthumbsupx