PDA

View Full Version : TxSo Alums Call for Change with AD, FB HC

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM
From the Chronicle...a familiar face on SWACPage and AGS, is amongst those who is pushing the Texas Southern administration to make major changes in the athletic department, including replacing the AD and the head football coach.

Mr LeBlanc is very effective in getting the word out, as is shown in this article. He's definitely a major player as it relates to his insight and his ability to bring about change at TxSo. We'll see what comes from this situation as TxSo is in the midst of a huge change within the administration ...

TSU alumni call for change at top of athletic department
Investigation of tennis program is just latest concern

By DALE ROBERTSON

The president of the Texas Southern University national alumni association believes the problems in the TSU tennis program are yet another reason why major changes are needed in the athletic department.

Christopher LeBlanc, a Tigers track star and team captain in the early 1990s, wants both the athletic director, Alois Blackwell, and the head football coach, Steve Wilson, to be replaced. He calls the murky circumstances that led the NCAA to launch its current investigation of the tennis program, which won its first Southwestern Athletic Conference championships in 29 years last spring, "the result of the athletic department not being run professionally."

Asked if the tennis team's troubles were "the last straw," LeBlanc said, "No, just another straw that tells me something has to be done. ...

"We've made it known and submitted documentation to the previous and current administrations about our displeasure (with Blackwell)," LeBlanc said. "I've reacted to factual information only, not hearsay."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4384948.html

NoCoDanny
December 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Is this the same Steve Wilson that played for the Denver Broncos in the mid '80s? I know that Steve Wilson coached at Howard at some point.

andy7171
December 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Steve Wilson did coach at Howard. At least he did from 90-93. In '93 Howard went undefeated made it to the second round of the play-offs in 1993.
Same one? No clue.

MACHIAVELLI
December 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Steve Wilson did coach at Howard. At least he did from 90-93. In '93 Howard went undefeated made it to the second round of the play-offs in 1993.
Same one? No clue.

Yes the same Steve Wilson from the Broncos and Howard. LOL at C-Leb.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
:hurray:

We need change!!! I applaud our alumni president for his comments. :thumbsup:

3rd Coast Tiger
December 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Same one? No clue.

Wilson coached at his alma mater (Howard) for 13 years. In addition to going undefeated '93 (close your eyes TexasTerror) he also won his first Black National Championship. xlolx

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
We need change!!! I applaud our alumni president for his comments. :thumbsup:

I agree with you 3rd Coast Tiger and your alumni president...

While I know we have disagreed on things, I think that a change would be a good thing for the school. It's unfortunate that TxSo and SHSU tend to only get coverage (and PVA&M for that matter) when things are negative.

Atleast, the article does show that there are individuals who are interested in pushing for a positive change at your institution...

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Texas Southern suspended their program for the spring as they're going to regroup and put together a program the university can be proud of. Scholarships will be renewed for all the scholarship players on the teams, both of whom won SWAC titles last year.

TSU suspends tennis program for this spring
Attorney seeks compensation for 2 student-athletes

By DALE ROBERTSON

As expected, Texas Southern University officials pulled the plug on the school's troubled tennis program Monday, calling a meeting of the players to inform them the men's and women's teams would be suspended for the spring semester while the NCAA investigates scholarship irregularities and other infractions.

The players were told their full tuition and the cost of books would be covered for the semester. Left unsettled was promised compensation for room and board. A lawyer representing two of the student-athletes was permitted to attend the session with her clients and said each case would be discussed individually over the next several days.

"They're apparently going to honor the commitment they have to the students regarding their enrollment," said Wilka Toppins, head of the Toppins Law Firm that was retained by Venezuelan players Christopher Gloc and Efrain Camaya. "But we're not sure if they're going to honor the entire scholarship, which included meals for off-campus students as well as tennis equipment and whatever. None of that was addressed."

Attempts to speak with TSU interim president J. Timothy Boddie Jr., athletic director Alois Blackwell or the two administrators who conducted the meeting were unsuccessful.

TSU spokesperson Gayle Garge released the only official statement, saying: "The president of Texas Southern University has suspended the tennis program for this spring semester. During this period, the university will regroup and develop a program that benefits the students and TSU. No additional information will be forthcoming at this time since the NCAA has not concluded its investigation."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4490580.html

3rd Coast Tiger
January 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Way to go Alois! You sorry son of a bitch!

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
For the record, TSU and PV both get quite a bit of coverage in Houston considering the marketplace. In a pro town with two FBS teams doing well, for them to get much of any notice in the electronic media shows they are getting quite a bit of love.

TSU has had a very tough run of poor administrators at the school in general above the athletic department.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
For the record, TSU and PV both get quite a bit of coverage in Houston considering the marketplace. In a pro town with two FBS teams doing well, for them to get much of any notice in the electronic media shows they are getting quite a bit of love.

I agree. TxSo and PV do get a fair shake of coverage. These two schools get more coverage than any others in the 'Area College Sports Notebook'. They are more likely to get coverage of their football games in comparison to SHSU, SFA and all the other FCS schools in Texas. SportsRadio 610 even announces their basketball scores.

You can not put TxSo or PV on the same level as a Rice or Houston, but after those two and of course, the Big XII schools in the state, TxSo and PV are there...