PDA

View Full Version : SLU's Roland Fights 'Transfer' from HC Position

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Roland has been reassigned to allow him a chance to recover from his health situation and Mike Lucas is now the interim football coach.

Roland is not too thrilled about it and says he does not have the support of his President. Roland is adamant about being on the sidelines for spring practice in 2007...

SLU's Roland vows to fight transfer
Thursday, December 07, 2006
By Tammy Nunez

Southeastern Louisiana said in a statement Wednesday morning it "transferred" football coach Dennis Roland to the position of interim special assistant to the president for athletic affairs so Roland can fully regain his health.

Roland, who is being treated for an infection and cancer, said he is refusing reassignment and still considers himself the head football coach.

"I'm devastated," Roland said. "I've given my heart and soul to this program, and for the last three weeks I've been working hard. Recruiting is going well, players are coming by and are happy to see me. For this to happen. . . . I am not on board with this."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1165476099197240.xml&coll=1

The release from SELA Athletics...

HAMMOND - Dennis Roland's tenure as Southeastern Louisiana University's head football coach has ended with Roland being transferred to the position of Interim Special Assistant to the President for Athletic Affairs, President Randy Moffett announced today.

Head coach for the past two years, Roland has been on medical leave for much of the fall. In late October, he entered Emory University Medical Center in Atlanta for testing and treatment associated with an infection and a return of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Roland also served as Southeastern’s interim athletic director.

"No doubt, this is a difficult time for Dennis and his family, as well as for Southeastern," Moffett said. "We believe this move is in his best interest and allows him and his family to focus on the health challenges he faces. In addition, we believe this move will allow the football program to move forward with some stability and continuity."

In his new position, Roland will advise university officials on matters dealing with Southland Conference relations, an upcoming NCAA certification process, scheduling, athletic policies, facility upgrades and academic issues as they relate to athletes.

"Mr. Roland has a wealth of experience that will be of great assistance to the university in addressing some of the challenges we are facing," Moffett said.

Defensive coordinator Michael Lucas, who had served as interim head coach during the last three games of the 2006 season, will continue in that position and the university will move forward expeditiously to confirm a new head coach. Interim Senior Associate Athletic Director Kim Graham will serve as the primary administrator of the athletic program.

http://www.lionsports.net/index.php?pid=headlines&content=user&func=article&id=2694

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Apparently this issue has been "resolved"...

From SELA Athletics...

SOUTHEASTERN TO BEGIN SEARCH FOR NEW HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

Southeastern Louisiana University is moving forward immediately on the search for a new head football coach, President Randy Moffett announced Friday (Dec. 8).

Moffett said a search committee is being appointed and will begin screening applicants beginning with possible internal candidates.

"The stability and continuity of our young football program is extremely important," Moffett said. "Our program is at a critical early stage, and we recognize the necessity of moving quickly to get the right individual to lead the program. This is important for our players, our recruits, and our fans.

The university and former head football coach Dennis Roland, who served in that capacity since January 2005, on Friday resolved issues related to his contract.

Southeastern competes as a member of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly referred to as Division I-AA) and as a member of the Southland Conference.

http://www.lionsports.net/index.php?pid=headline&content=user&func=article&id=2676

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Joint statement from Roland and SELA...

SOUTHEASTERN, DENNIS ROLAND ISSUE JOINT STATEMENT ON RESOLUTION

Southeastern Louisiana University President Randy Moffett and former head football coach Dennis Roland have released the following statement jointly:

"Southeastern Louisiana University and Dennis Roland have resolved the issues related to his contract, and he is no longer associated with the university."

The university extended its best wishes to Roland and his family as he undergoes additional medical treatment for his illness.

http://www.lionsports.net/index.php?pid=headline&content=user&func=article&id=2675

Freightliner
December 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a "we want you to resign to get your health back or be fired" technique to me.

Looks like he just told the university what to do with his job.....shove it!

If the guy says he's well enough to resume his duties as HC...then let the guy do it!

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Roland is a good coach...

The SELA job was tough as is because they just started football from scratch a few years ago. They've had some marquee wins, but the last two years between Katrina, over-playing I-As like the rest of the SLC and the health issues of Roland, the Lions have had a tough go...

They need to stick with their man, who from people I know close to the program is a class act and one helluva motivator. Let him have a chance to keep doing what he started...

McNeese75
December 8th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Roland's health issues have to affect his ability to recruit and it tis the season. I think the school just made a business decision and considering how new their program is, it was probably the best decision for them.

Lionsrking
December 9th, 2006, 05:04 AM
The situation has been resolved. Tough decisions for everyone involved due to the fact Dennis Roland is such a class individual and a great football coach. I don't think there was a good way to handle it but at the end of the day, he can now focus on getting his health back and our football program can hopefully get back to a normal routine. Mike Lucas will continue as interim head coach and my guess is he'll be named as the permanent replacement sometime soon. Stay tuned.