PDA

View Full Version : UTC gains another D transfer

GreatAppSt
July 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM
UTC may be a big suprise this season. On paper they are starting to look a bit scary.

Illini redshirt enrolling at UTC

By Wesley Rucker Staff Writer

Former University of Illinois football player Jarvis Newson will start classes at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Wednesday and will play for the Mocs this fall.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound defensive back redshirted at Illinois last season but turned some heads with a strong spring practice. What Newson calls a "sour meeting" with new Illini coach Ron Zook convinced him to leave.

"I was an unknown until this spring, and I made a bunch of big plays in scrimmages," said Newson, who went to Columbia High School in Decatur, Ga. "I was forcing fumbles, making tackles and feeling good about my situation.

"I moved up to second on the depth chart, but (Zook) told me that he didn’t see me as the kind of player he wanted at the position."

Newson, who is eligible immediately and has four seasons left, visited UTC last month and chose the Mocs over Georgia Southern, Howard, Southern and Indiana State. He originally chose Illinois over Middle Tennessee, Bowling Green, North Carolina A&T and a late push from Georgia Tech.

"I’m ready to go," he said. "My grades are good. They’re not an issue."
He said he can play all four positions in the defensive backfield but will start at safety this fall.

"I put on some weight at Illinois, so I’m probably more like a safety now," said Newson. "But I’ve got corner skills, too. I can play wherever they need me."

Newson, former Tennessee outside linebacker Ovince Saint Preux, former Georgia end Richard Cook and former Marshall safety Lonnie McCowan should bolster a UTC defense that gave up 48.1 points per game last season, the worst in all of Division I.
Newson’s brother Kendall is a wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins,. Another brother, Keon, finished his career as a safety at Bowling Green last year.

Josh
July 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Well they beat App State last year. I expect this team to be better and bump App State down another slot in the standings and beat Wofford too.

This is why App State wants a new staff as well. Losing to UTC used to be something they never did. Now a lot of people are expecting a loss unless App gets it together.

Go Mocs!!!.... :D

eaglesrthe1
July 4th, 2005, 05:49 PM
He said he can play all four positions in the defensive backfield but will start at safety this fall.

Maybe his starting is a given, since UTC had such a porous defense. But statements like this always rub me the wrong way. Maybe the coach has promised him the starting position. If so, it's a mistake on the coaches part.

chattanoogamocs
July 4th, 2005, 07:04 PM
thanks Ralph, you said it before I could...but I understand...it has been more lopsided in recent years (especially the last decade)...of course, Swami is a young pup so he wasn't there to see the Mocs hand App their worst SoCon defeat of all time (back in the early 80's)...72-14 (ouch).

Improved or not (of course, after last year there is not way no to improve) I think it will be very tough to have a chance up the mountain at Boone...the Mocs have never had much luck there, even when they were good.

But, I must say I like the last two transfer pick-ups...Cook from Georgia and now Newson...notjust because they seem to have a lot of talent...but because the have a combined 7 years of eligibility!

All in all...I just hope that the Mocs can 1) get to .500 (6-5 would be great starting point) and 2) at least be competitive at places like Boone and Statesboro.

Then let Allison and new DC Billy Taylor build from there.
"Rebuilding a tradition does not happen overnight" :)

Josh
July 4th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Huh???? Check your history, App is 18-10 since 1977 vs. Chatty including a Chatty win in 2000 besides 2004. Twice in the last five games and 10 out of 28 is not "never." :rolleyes:

Over the last 10 years ASU was used to winning.

A long time ago I knew UTC used to be close but for a good while UTC and ETSU rarely won a game.

If the changes happen that are rumored to happen who knows what will happen in future games or if ASU would still play UTC if they went I-A?

Mr. C
July 5th, 2005, 12:28 AM
UTC may be a big suprise this season. On paper they are starting to look a bit scary.

I've been saying for some time that Chattanooga will be the most improved team in the SoCon this year. This could be a breakthrough year for Rodney Allison and the Mocs and I could see them finishing as high as fourth in the conference.

On another front, Swami when are you going to quit rumor-mongering? You've been chastized repeatedly on this board for doing that. A lot of us don't care to hear about App State firing coaches, or other personnel, or about the Mountaineers' soon-to-be-move to I-A. Or any other RUMORS!!! Anyone who says they know these things are going to happen is truly speculating. NO decisions have been made about these subjects. The new AD doesn't even start his job until Tuesday. As Joe Friday used to say "Just the facts, Ma'am."

OL FU
July 5th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Is there a a thread or site that provides a list of the Moc transfers and those leaving school. I seem to recall that seven left earlier in the year. I am trying to determine how much this offsets the loss of those defensive players. Input is appreciated.

chattanoogamocs
July 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM
I know the list was in a TFP article a while, back I will try to dig it up.

But off the top of my head...the Johnson kid from UTk (senior)...apparently he was never going to get to play because of some sort of transfer issue at UTk (which would account for why he didn't go to class), one of the transfers from Mississippi State, Staley? (I belive also a senior)...those two were going to be in the "one year wonder class" that I don't like (no matter how good they are).

The rest were mainly freshmen or sophomores (all of which are still in school, hopefully regaining eligibility for next year...and beyond). One or two of these guys got caught in the "progess towards graduation" requirements (not necessarily bad grades...just not taking enough credits in a school year), one, Brandon Ridgeway, got injured and missed a lot of classes (incomplete)...I hate it most for him because he is a nice guy and at least a decent student.

It did hurt some because while most were young, they 5 of them were to be counted on pretty seriously this season.

However, I think with who they have plugged the holes with, it will be pretty close to "averaging out". I also think (ok, hope) new DC Billy Taylor will do as much to make a difference this year as the new personnel would. B.T. has grown up in the SoCon on defense...hopefully that pays off.

chattanoogamocs
July 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM
BTW

For those who don't know, we have had a terrible "gap" (nicest word I can say on this forum) between the coaches and academic advisors (and honestly, much more of the blame goes on the advisors side). I say that because a couple of our softball players were caught up in the same "progress" problems...and two of the three were dean's list students.

One advisor apparently left and got another job before it all broke loose...the other "retired" this spring. You know there is a problem when everyone on Mocfans got just as excited about the announcement of the new academic advisor (Kim Reece, aka mommabuc, aka writer of the demise of ETSU in last years IAA preview mag, aka ASU grad), as DC Billy Taylor (who, btw, both worked together at the same time at ETSU).

Saint3333
July 5th, 2005, 07:45 AM
UTC has won two of the last 5, but prior to 2000 you have to go back to 1988 to find a UTC win over ASU.

I think UTC will surprise a lot of teams this year, but ASU will not be one of them, revenge games in Boone don't usually go well for opponents.

OL FU
July 5th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I know the list was in a TFP article a while, back I will try to dig it up.

But off the top of my head...the Johnson kid from UTk (senior)...apparently he was never going to get to play because of some sort of transfer issue at UTk (which would account for why he didn't go to class), one of the transfers from Mississippi State, Staley? (I belive also a senior)...those two were going to be in the "one year wonder class" that I don't like (no matter how good they are).

The rest were mainly freshmen or sophomores (all of which are still in school, hopefully regaining eligibility for next year...and beyond). One or two of these guys got caught in the "progess towards graduation" requirements (not necessarily bad grades...just not taking enough credits in a school year), one, Brandon Ridgeway, got injured and missed a lot of classes (incomplete)...I hate it most for him because he is a nice guy and at least a decent student.

It did hurt some because while most were young, they 5 of them were to be counted on pretty seriously this season.

However, I think with who they have plugged the holes with, it will be pretty close to "averaging out". I also think (ok, hope) new DC Billy Taylor will do as much to make a difference this year as the new personnel would. B.T. has grown up in the SoCon on defense...hopefully that pays off.

Thanks for the input. It is difficult to keep track.

blueballs
July 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM
The last several meetings between GSU and UTC have not been pretty. While I like the conference win every year I don't like beating a conference foe by 7 TD's or more. These transfers should help the Mocs be more competitive and if UTC has a better team it will potentially spur interest in the title game among the locals in Chatty.

winstoneagle
July 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
At last years GSU/UTC game, I sat next to a high school coach who said he had three kids playing for UTC. He informed me that Carson Newman wont sign some of the kids UTC signs. They must really be hurting if that is true. I dont believe transfers are a way to build a program, they have to start somewhere.

Golden Eagle
July 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM
He informed me that Carson Newman wont sign some of the kids UTC signs.

:eek: OUCH.

Seems to me UTC is always getting hyped-up transfers who never live up to said hype.

GannonFan
July 5th, 2005, 12:10 PM
:eek: OUCH.

Seems to me UTC is always getting hyped-up transfers who never live up to said hype.

Please note that I did not say the above quote. :D