PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and NCAA drop Subdivision in name?

Ronbo
December 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM
The NCAA Logo that appeared on our big screen thoughout the game had the QB graphic logo and it said "Division I Football Championship". Also rewatching the game on ESPN which I Tivo'd I noticed the announcers called us the "Division I Football Championship". They said it many times and never said Subdivision. Looks like Subdivision will be dropped by the media.

Thoughts?

Sly Fox
December 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Its a natural progression. No surprise really because the full name is so obtuse.

December 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
The NCAA Logo that appeared on our big screen thoughout the game had the QB graphic logo and it said "Division I Football Championship". Also rewatching the game on ESPN which I Tivo'd I noticed the announcers called us the "Division I Football Championship". They said it many times and never said Subdivision. Looks like Subdivision will be dropped by the media.

Thoughts?That's because the playoffs are

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/images/articles/82411_CSlogo100h.jpg
THE DIVISION I
FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

No one has dropped the name of NCAA D-I football. It is either FCS or FBS.

DrG
December 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
The NCAA is calling it the Division I Football Championship because it's the only Division I football championship they have. The Division I Bowl guys have their own thing. I like the name because "Subdivision" sounds like a housing development.

Ronbo
December 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I wasn't saying it was officially dropped Ralph. I said the Media and NCAA do not use the full name at the games. The media has dropped Subdivision from the name in broadcasts. I like it because Subdivision makes it sound sub-standard. You ought to get the dang thing off this website too.

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I preferred 1-AA.

December 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM
... the Media and NCAA do not use the full name at the games. The media has dropped Subdivision from the name in broadcasts...They haven't dropped FCS. The teams play in the FCS, the FCS games you are watching are the D-I Football Championship. They would be wrong to call it the D-I Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

jmuroller
December 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
The division we play in is the Football Championship Subdivision. The playoffs as a whole are called the Division 1 Football Championships.

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I think they should get rid of 85 scholarship football and go all 63. But that probably won't happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I'll be honest - when I'm writing on my blog or my pieces for College Sporting News, I am really perplexed as to what to use since fans really haven't come up with a consensus.

Championship Subdivision/CS?
Football Championship Subdivision/FCS?
Football Championship?

What do we call the playoffs? The D-I playoffs? The CS playoffs? The Road to the D-I Football Championship? Most are just calling it the I-AA playoffs out of familiarity.

Personally? I'd like to call it the "D-I Football Playoffs" and "D-I Football Championship", since that's what it is on the official NCAA website, but for some reason I don't feel it's "catching on". Probably because on their website they use all the different terms: "Football Championship", "Championship Subdivision", etc. Like it or not, the NCAA has to be the one pushing the name change, and IMO they're not doing it effectively.

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I still call it I-AA.

AppStateSVX
December 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I hate the "subdivision" junk. makes it sound second-rate

BillLuc1982
December 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I think they should get rid of 85 scholarship football and go all 63. But that probably won't happen.

What's your reasoning behind it?

GaSouthern
December 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
The division we play in is the Football Championship Subdivision. The playoffs as a whole are called the Division 1 Football Championships.

best post of this thread!

PenguinPride23
December 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
You're all wrong. It's still called the I-AA Playoffs and I-AA Championship... don't let the big wigs fool you :D

HiHiYikas
December 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
According to this, the game is called the Division I Football Championship. I'd say it's about as official a document as one can get.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
IAA worked just fine for me and nobody was confused at all.

SoCon48
December 6th, 2006, 07:35 PM
IAA worked just fine for me and nobody was confused at all.

Well, actually, it confused a hell of a lot of sportswriters and sportscasters who called us Div II.