PDA

View Full Version : Sav St's Losses Could Be Gain for CCU

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Atleast five football players are on their way out from Savannah St as the school continues it's struggles with the NCAA infractions. Two of those players, including a QB, according to this article, may consider moving on to CCU. The two players mentioned were the Tigers leaders in passing and tackling, respectively...

Help may be on the way
Two players hoping to transfer from Savannah State interested in Coastal
By Ian Guerin
The Sun News

A mess at Savannah State could pay dividends for Coastal Carolina.

Last week, at least five football players announced their intentions to transfer away from SSU. Two of those players, quarterback Garrett Williams and linebacker Trent Newton, are considering transferring to Coastal.

"Coastal's still on the table as far as I know," Williams' father, Darwin, told The Sun News on Monday. "That will be [Coastal] Coach [David] Bennett's decision."

Darwin Williams said he has spoken to a handful of college coaches during the past several weeks. He said he had an "informal" conversation with Bennett in November, and the two, Williams said, agreed to speak again this month.

Per NCAA rules, CCU is not allowed to comment on potential transfers until the move is official.

The intended transfers, which were first reported by the Savannah Morning News last week, come after the program having years of problems both on and off the football field. The Tigers have not won more than two games in a season since 1999.

In the spring, the NCAA placed SSU on three years of probation for an assortment of major infractions, including lack of institutional control.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/16166369.htm

CCU97
December 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I think Newton would be a bigger gain for Coastal than Williams. Coastal has a pretty deep roster of QBs with two getting playing time the previous two years and returning for next year. The downside to any player from Sav. St. is that these players have played on one of the worst teams in the FCS. The questions in my head are if they can contribute to a team, how much? What type of talent do they really have? Williams seems to have a decent arm as shown in his freshman year but last year was horrible. Newton lead Sav St in tackling....but does that mean he is good....if you take the best of the worst can they increase their level of play to be above average? After watching Coastal beat Sav St 66-6 at homecoming it is just tough for me to see either player making much of an impact for our team. Although with better players around them one would hope they could improve.

th0m
December 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
They'd have to sit out a year though, right?

Coastal89
December 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Williams wouldn't have a chance at QB but he is pretty fast so he might make a good DB. He'd have a year to work on it any way.

Sly Fox
December 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Yes, theyd have to sit a year which is why I'm surprised they aren't looking at DII schools.

I agree with the others that Williams wouldn't have anywhere near the impact that Newton would with the Chants. I could see Williams being a nice wideout at CCU.

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
What's the deal at Sav State?

Are they literally just that poor? If they're a public school, why don't they have any money to spend on athletics?

ncguitarplyr
December 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM
i thought thats why bs players went down to fcs because if they went to another bs team they'd have to sit out a year but if they go to fcs they don't...or am i just wrong on that

rokamortis
December 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM
i thought thats why bs players went down to fcs because if they went to another bs team they'd have to sit out a year but if they go to fcs they don't...or am i just wrong on that

That's true. But some BS players transfer to other BS teams and sit out a year. These guys could transfer down to a DII and not have to sit out if that is a concern. But they still ahve a redshirt year that they can use if they would like to transfer to another DI school.

walliver
December 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I suspect that taking transfers from Savannah State might adversely effect Coastal's chances of being invited to the SoCon, or at least reinforce the opinions of those already opposed to that.:twocents:

rokamortis
December 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I suspect that taking transfers from Savannah State might adversely effect Coastal's chances of being invited to the SoCon, or at least reinforce the opinions of those already opposed to that.:twocents:

Why? Please explain. If the SoCon is that snobbish then maybe it is a good thing to not get the invite.

AppGuy04
December 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'm just wondering how these players can really help CCU. I mean, we are talking football players from Savannah St, not USC

rokamortis
December 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'm just wondering how these players can really help CCU. I mean, we are talking football players from Savannah St, not USC

They may not. We don't know Coastal's interest level. I don't think anyone really knows at this point if these guys would be beneficial or not. I do know Savannah State gets some quality athletes. They also get some bad athletes as well.

I know Sav State is a mess, but that doesn't mean that these players are. They may have been lured with promises or improvements and playing time and now realize that things aren't that great. Whether Coastal gets them or not, I can't blame student athletes for looking to transfer to a better situation.

Footix
December 6th, 2006, 06:01 PM
They may not. We don't know Coastal's interest level. I don't think anyone really knows at this point if these guys would be beneficial or not. I do know Savannah State gets some quality athletes. They also get some bad athletes as well.

Both of these guys are great athletes. They may be raw, but the addition of athletic talent like that cannot be a bad thing - as long as they understand the ideals of the teams they could potentially join. I think the biggest issue here is judging character. How will these kids respond to sitting the bench at CCU? Or how would they respond if they become stars? I know the staff won't make promises to these guys, because they never have for anybody. They've had I-A players who wanted to transfer here that they basically told the same thing they tell everybody else: "You'll have a chance to compete."

We are thin at linebacker so another playmaker there would be useful. Williams is about as good an athlete as you'll see at QB. He's got great size and mobility. While our offense was suited to throwing the ball this year that was based on our talent (mainly Thigpen's ability to throw). I expect Will Richardson (pro-style) and Ren McKinnon (option runner) to split time in 2007. Will throws a better ball, but Ren will be more mobile behind a young offense line. Ren is gone after next year and Williams could potentially step into his shoes for 2008. I think he would also be a pretty good receiver.

rokamortis
December 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Just to clarify my last statement - I meant that the players may have gone to SSU because of promises for playing time, not trying to imply that happened at CCU.

Footix
December 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Just to clarify my last statement - I meant that the players may have gone to SSU because of promises for playing time, not trying to imply that happened at CCU.

With the gnats and everything else you'd have to deal with during a school career - much less a football career - at SSU, I can only imagine the promises that the staff there makes to some of the recruits. That place is never going to be able to recruit enough quality players to survive in I-AA.

OL FU
December 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Why? Please explain. If the SoCon is that snobbish then maybe it is a good thing to not get the invite.

Not the SoCon but us Furmmes and Woffies definitely are that snobbish:nod: :smiley_wi

Ol Blue
December 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Nice point. ;)

HIU 93
December 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
That place is never going to be able to recruit enough quality players to survive in I-AA.

I would be careful about saying "...never...". Some folk thought CCU would "...never..." be able to compete in I-AA, but they have so far proved those folk wrong, correct?