PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh Interview?

DFW HOYA
December 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Two papers in the Dallas area report that Jim Harbaugh is a candidate at North Texas.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/colleges/16175888.htm

USDfan
December 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
DFW,

This was announced a week or so ago here in San Diego. He was also a candidate(finalist?) for Iowa St., but as we know didn't get the job. Rumor has it that Tulane has interest in him. Solely a rumor.

carney2
December 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Today's newspaper has him on the supposed short list at Stanford.

putter
December 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Wow, does he dislike being at USD that much!? I mean what job is this guy not going for?

ucdtim17
December 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Everyone mentions his name for Stanford but I doubt he'll be seriously considered. Stanford is not looking to give someone time to dick around and learn the ropes in the Pac-10. Harbaugh has also been at times somewhat less than diplomatic when talking to the media - that might also not fly at Stanford. They want someone with experience and who has proven he can win at the I-A level. I could be wrong, but we'll know shortly

ereiz03
December 6th, 2006, 11:09 AM
"Wow, does he dislike being at USD that much!? I mean what job is this guy not going for?"

Harbaugh loves USD, as do most people familiar with the University. Can you really blame a guy who wants to eventually become an NFL head coach for looking to take the next logical step and move to 1-A? It's comical how some people on here look for every possible way to bash USD/Harbaugh.

Sly Fox
December 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I know Rice was seriously interest in him last year. But obviously they made the right hire instead with Graham.

Count me among those who could see Harbaugh having some success at Stanford even though I doubt he gets the opportunity. Tulane would be a nice fit for him where he could recruit well in that fantastic talent pool in Louisiana.

carney2
December 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Wow, does he dislike being at USD that much!? I mean what job is this guy not going for?

I'm thinking that he's not sending out his resume, but rather ADs at schools with vacancies look at his record and get it in their minds that he might be someone to talk to.

DetroitFlyer
December 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12/02/sports/college/23_08_3912_1_06.txt

USDfan
December 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Last year Temple(eeeek!) also mentioned him as a possibility.

It's a BIG jump from USD to I-A football. I personally think Harbough will spend more time at USD or move to a scholarship I-AA school before going to a I-A program. Just my opinion.

OrneryAggie
December 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM

It's a BIG jump from USD to I-A football. I personally think Harbough will spend more time at USD or move to a scholarship I-AA school before going to a I-A program. Just my opinion.

Sac St needs a new coach :)

GeauxColonels
December 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM
DFW,

This was announced a week or so ago here in San Diego. He was also a candidate(finalist?) for Iowa St., but as we know didn't get the job. Rumor has it that Tulane has interest in him. Solely a rumor.
The only thing I have heard relating Harbaugh to the Tulane job was on a local reporter's web-blog less than a week after the job became open.

Bobcat in NC
December 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Wouldn't Temple actually be a big jump down? I think that the only coaching position from which Temple would be a jump up is Middle School...

CCU2003
December 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Just heard from a source at Idaho that Harbaugh is on the short list up there! :eek:

BearsCountry
December 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Harbaugh is a finalist at Tulane.
http://www.wdsu.com/news/10502341/detail.html

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Harbaugh is a finalist at Tulane.
http://www.wdsu.com/news/10502341/detail.html

well it looks like we will know soon enough.

3yards
December 11th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Newpaper says he is leading candidate at Tulane, a finalist at North Texas, interviewed at Stanford. Talk on boards about Central Michigan and now post above about Idaho.

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Tulane fans are apparently not so high on Harbaugh...saying it would be a horrible hire according to their boards...

BearsCountry
December 11th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Tulane fans are apparently not so high on Harbaugh...saying it would be a horrible hire according to their boards...

Thats intresting bc on the CUSA board they were happy for it.

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Thats intresting bc on the CUSA board they were happy for it.

I checked out their Scout board...

On the CUSAbbs that I check out frequently, Tulane doesn't really even register a 'blip' on the radar...

putter
December 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
"Wow, does he dislike being at USD that much!? I mean what job is this guy not going for?"

Harbaugh loves USD, as do most people familiar with the University. Can you really blame a guy who wants to eventually become an NFL head coach for looking to take the next logical step and move to 1-A? It's comical how some people on here look for every possible way to bash USD/Harbaugh.

It is not comical nor am I looking for a way to bash Jim. Our coach at Montana has had offers over the last couple of years and they were not a good fit for him. That is all I am saying. You don't move up to move up, you need to find a program/conference where you think you can win. Stanford, Iowa St., Tulane, North Texas etc are all over the spectrum.

danefan
December 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Former UCLA head coach Bob Toledo has been hired as Tulane's new head coach, sources told ESPN's Jim Donnan.

Toledo, who is currently New Mexico's offensive coordinator, replaces Chris Scelfo, who was fired on Nov. 28.

Tulane scheduled a news conference for 5:30 p.m. ET on Monday to introduce its new coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2693869

DetroitFlyer
December 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/sports/ncaafootball/12stanford.htm?_r=1&oref=slogin

According to this source, Jim Harbaugh was offered the job at Tulane and turned it down! Maybe he is hoping for Stanford?

danefan
December 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I don't blame him for turning down the Tulane job. I'm sure the money isn't the major consideration for him. He had to make some money being in the NFL all those years. He's probably better off winning at USD and waiting for a decent BCS program to open up rather than jumping on the first BCS program to come offering.

GeauxLions94
December 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I don't blame him for turning down the Tulane job. I'm sure the money isn't the major consideration for him. He had to make some money being in the NFL all those years. He's probably better off winning at USD and waiting for a decent BCS program to open up rather than jumping on the first BCS program to come offering.

From the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate

The Green Wave had courted Harbaugh, in particular, for nearly a week, but Harbaugh, who has been under consideration for several vacancies, wasn’t ready to commit within Tulane’s tight time frame.

(Tulane Athletic Director Rick) Dickson, who fired Chris Scelfo Nov. 28, was eager to get a coach by the start of this week to begin catching up on lost time on the recruiting trail.

“I told the three finalists,” Dickson said, “that in the event that we come back to you we need to know if you’ll be in a position to accept this opportunity if it is presented. Finally, Bob was the only one we made an offer to.”

Holy Toledo! Green Wave Hires FB Coach (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/4890456.html)