PDA

View Full Version : Assuming App goes to the Title Game...

ncguitarplyr
December 5th, 2006, 11:59 PM
There will be a common opponent played only 1 week apart between FCS national championship participant Appalachian State and BCS national championship participant Florida...is this telling of the difference in caliber between the best teams in FCS and BCS?

Western Carolina
11/11 App St L 31-9 (@ Western)
11/18 #3 Florida L 62-0 (@ Florida)

Does this mean there is about a 40pt differential between an FCS title contender and a BCS title contender?

sdgriz24
December 6th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Comparing scores proves nothing.

Appguy
December 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM
its impossible to compare these things. too many factors.
Florida starters played like a quarter of that game
sad to say but its very possible the best BCS team(s) could do similar things as done to western to the best CS team(s) if they took the game seriously with all starters playing

thmst30
December 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
There will be a common opponent played only 1 week apart between FCS national championship participant Appalachian State and BCS national championship participant Florida...is this telling of the difference in caliber between the best teams in FCS and BCS?

Western Carolina
11/11 App St L 31-9 (@ Western)
11/18 #3 Florida L 62-0 (@ Florida)

Does this mean there is about a 40pt differential between an FCS title contender and a BCS title contender?
Not quite that much, but yea its a big difference. However at the same time, I feel the best FCS team could easily finish in the top half of the BCS division.

GreatAppSt
December 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Don't assume ***** we have a very tough YSU squad to deal with this week and they are more than capable of kicking our butts and ruining the dream!

Some App fans need to stop posting jinx ***** on here:mad: !!! Examples Rooms in Chat, Favs to be in Chat, Assuming Apps go to Chat, and there are many others, personally I've had enough of this looking ahead crap get control of yourselves, your making me very nervous with all this looking forward mumbo jumbo. We have too much history of falling flat on our faces at sometime during playoffs to be like this!!!!:bang: It's one Fuggin game at a time and the most important on is this Saturday !!!! PLEASE kep the jinx's to t minimum and FOCUS on the task at hand!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

steps off soapbox.:)

Skyhawk Nation 24
December 6th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Not quite that much, but yea its a big difference. However at the same time, I feel the best FCS team could easily finish in the top half of the BCS division.

lol, what division is that? I know its not the SEC, BIG 10, ACC, PAC 10, BIG 12, or even the BIG EAST. Oh wait that is all the BCS conferences. FCS teams are not on the level of the DI teams just get over it.

Mr. C
December 6th, 2006, 01:20 AM
First of all, some advice for a newby, FCS teams ARE Division I. If you make that mistake on AGS, other posters wll pound you. Secondly, there were quite a few FCS teams that put the hammer to teams from those big conferences this year (Colorado, Indiana, Northwestern etc.) and there were a bunch of other one-point losses. So beating these teams can be done. I was at the game between Appalachian State and LSU last year. LSU was ranked third in the BCS at the time and ASU played them virtually even for three quarters. LSU didn't got to its bench until late in the game. The final score wasn't indicative of the way the game was played. So the post by tmst30 wasn't as far off as you think.

ncguitarplyr
December 6th, 2006, 02:44 AM
im not superstitious sorry...and the only people that don't need to be looking ahead are the players and coaches....the fans can look ahead to next years national championship and it won't affect the outcome of the game...this is mostly just for discussion on what the difference is bettween the best FCS teams and the BEST BCS teams....obviously the best BCS teams are better but how much better?

personally i don't think the best FCS team can beat any RANKED BCS team....but i think the best FCS teams are on par or better than the nonranked BCS teams

YoUDeeMan
December 6th, 2006, 09:16 AM
First of all, some advice for a newby, FCS teams ARE Division I. If you make that mistake on AGS, other posters wll pound you. Secondly, there were quite a few FCS teams that put the hammer to teams from those big conferences this year (Colorado, Indiana, Northwestern etc.) and there were a bunch of other one-point losses. So beating these teams can be done. I was at the game between Appalachian State and LSU last year. LSU was ranked third in the BCS at the time and ASU played them virtually even for three quarters. LSU didn't got to its bench until late in the game. The final score wasn't indicative of the way the game was played. So the post by tmst30 wasn't as far off as you think.

Hmmmm....a lot of folks argue that a DII team, NEC, or PL can occassionally beat a full scholly CS team, but they couldn't hang for the whole season.

Just because UNH beats Northwestern, or ASU hangs with LSU for one game, doesn't mean any good FCS team, even the best, could hang in the top half of a BCS conference/division for a whole season. :twocents:

Skyhawk Nation 24
December 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm....a lot of folks argue that a DII team, NEC, or PL can occassionally beat a full scholly CS team, but they couldn't hang for the whole season.

Just because UNH beats Northwestern, or ASU hangs with LSU for one game, doesn't mean any good FCS team, even the best, could hang in the top half of a BCS conference/division for a whole season. :twocents:

Thank you.

Mr. C, I am not a newbie, if you think this is truly Division I football then you are crazy. It may have the name but doesn't mean it it the same quality. It is still I-AA if you ask me. It is the equivalent to AAA ball in the Major League farm system. FCS schools should be proud of the product they put on the field but it is not even close to resembling a BCS conference. This is reality.

Blue
December 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Congrats to UTM on making the playoffs. Seriously.

However having said that ... me thinks that years of watching crappy UTM football has jaded your ability to assess the quality of CS football. It's not hard to find examples where CS football teams have played very competitive against BcS teams despite the disadvantage in home field, schollies and budget.

appisgreatest
December 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Thank you.

Mr. C, I am not a newbie, if you think this is truly Division I football then you are crazy. It may have the name but doesn't mean it it the same quality. It is still I-AA if you ask me. It is the equivalent to AAA ball in the Major League farm system. FCS schools should be proud of the product they put on the field but it is not even close to resembling a BCS conference. This is reality.

Trust me, the remaining teams in the playoffs right now could easily be better than 40 or 50 schools in FBS. True most conferences in the FCS do not have the same popularity as say the Big Ten or the ACC but their fans have as much pride in their schools as anyone else.

DinoDex200
December 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
39 posts isn't a Newbie? :eyebrow:

DinoDex200
December 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Don't assume ***** we have a very tough YSU squad to deal with this week and they are more than capable of kicking our butts and ruining the dream!

Some App fans need to stop posting jinx ***** on here:mad: !!! Examples Rooms in Chat, Favs to be in Chat, Assuming Apps go to Chat, and there are many others, personally I've had enough of this looking ahead crap get control of yourselves, your making me very nervous with all this looking forward mumbo jumbo. We have too much history of falling flat on our faces at sometime during playoffs to be like this!!!!:bang: It's one Fuggin game at a time and the most important on is this Saturday !!!! PLEASE kep the jinx's to t minimum and FOCUS on the task at hand!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, Thanks for typing this...I hope our players aren't as presumptive as our fans...or the 'Guins will beak us to death on Saturday!!!

proasu89
December 6th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks for getting on the soapbox. I fell in love with my Neers freshman year of 85 and have gotten my heart broken many times.

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Thank you.

Do you truly think that Montana or App State couldn't hang in the ACC and finish above the bottom? If I remember correctly it took UNC 59 minutes to put away Furman, by three. I would bet everything I own that either school would have finished above at least two ACC teams if not more.

Do you also think that the Sun Belt (which WKU is bolting for) is on the same par as Florida, USC or (God forgive me) Ohio State? Why aren't you arguing they should be AAA ball. And, All-knowing One, I-AA is the same thing as Division I FCS...notice there's two "A's" not two "I's". So, it can still be I-AA to you, but that UTM education should tell you it is still Division I. Good job.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Trust me, the remaining teams in the playoffs right now could easily be better than 40 or 50 schools in FBS.

In my opinion...I think the Quarterfinals, SemiFinals and Final will be better then 1/2 of the 32 (or is it 34) Bowl games this year. (Also no offense to 1st round games.) You have 4 teams that have won 2 in a row against top 20 teams, now they have to win 2 more against top 5 teams to be National Champs. These games will be more exciting then the "Let's get drunk and have a bowl Bowl.:twocents:

ncguitarplyr
December 6th, 2006, 09:31 PM
the problem is that many bcs football teams are really just slap on football teams for their basketball program (aka carolina/duke) they're by far better than anybody in the ACC in basketball...thats why they're in the ACC but their football sucks...thats why schools like florida state and virginia tech are in the ACC for their football, not basketball....so the result is that in every good conference there are teams with strengths and not every schools strength is football...its those type schools that the top CS teams could beat

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
the problem is that many bcs football teams are really just slap on football teams for their basketball program (aka carolina/duke) they're by far better than anybody in the ACC in basketball...thats why they're in the ACC but their football sucks...thats why schools like florida state and virginia tech are in the ACC for their football, not basketball....so the result is that in every good conference there are teams with strengths and not every schools strength is football...its those type schools that the top CS teams could beat

I agree with you to a degree. Carolina/ Duke are basketball schools with crappy football programs. But, they still (according to UTM guy) should be able to crush the best FCS teams as they're major league and FCS is AAA league. The fact remains that they may be bad schools with "slap on football teams." But, they still have a lot more money, a lot more media coverage, and 22 more scholarships than FCS programs. The fact that we could finish higher than them (football school or not) in their BCS conference still shows that we are closer to their level of play than BCS people (like Skyhawk Nation) would like to admit. Could we compete with Michigan, Texas, Florida...no, but we could still compete with BCS schools--even with minimum national exposure.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I agree with you to a degree. Carolina/ Duke are basketball schools with crappy football programs. But, they still (according to UTM guy) should be able to crush the best FCS teams as they're major league and FCS is AAA league. The fact remains that they may be bad schools with "slap on football teams." But, they still have a lot more money, a lot more media coverage, and 22 more scholarships than FCS programs. The fact that we could finish higher than them (football school or not) in their BCS conference still shows that we are closer to their level of play than BCS people (like Skyhawk Nation) would like to admit. Could we compete with Michigan, Texas, Florida...no, but we could still compete with BCS schools--even with minimum national exposure.
In defense of Carolina football (my wife will hurt me if I don't), they have had a bad run of teams since Mac Brown left. They have been good in the past and I have a feeling that under Butch Davis they'll be good again. That said, Carolina will NEVER be a football school.

Duke just sucks. xcoffeex

SoCon48
December 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM
In defense of Carolina football (my wife will hurt me if I don't), they have had a bad run of teams since Mac Brown left. They have been good in the past and I have a feeling that under Butch Davis they'll be good again. That said, Carolina will NEVER be a football school.

If Duke would lower their admissions standards, they could compete. hard to find 100 players with 1300 SAT's. They were the last team from North Carolina to win an ACC championship (prior to this year's Wake team).
They were a power house back in the day (Rose Bowls, etc).

UNC had to pull the last couple games out of their anus to beat Duke.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM
If Duke would lower their admissions standards, they could compete. hard to find 100 players with 1300 SAT's. They were the last team from North Carolina to win an ACC championship (prior to this year's Wake team).
They were a power house back in the day (Rose Bowls, etc).

UNC had to pull the last couple games out of their anus to beat Duke.
The real problem at Duke is that the administration is not supportive of the football program. I have heard that some of the admin want to end the football program altogether.

So, Duke sucks. :read:

December 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
... if you think this is truly Division I football then you are crazy...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Are you talking about Tennessee-Martin? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx What a genius you are! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:nonono2: xidiotx :rolleyes: : smh : xidiotx

thmst30
December 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
lol, what division is that? I know its not the SEC, BIG 10, ACC, PAC 10, BIG 12, or even the BIG EAST. Oh wait that is all the BCS conferences. FCS teams are not on the level of the DI teams just get over it.
Sorry I should have explained better. I don't think they would finish in the top half of any major conferences, but out of all 119 BS teams, I feel the best FCS team could definitely finish somewhere around 60th. Thats really not that far fetched.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I hear ya. Go Heels! Carolina has everything it needs to be a high quality program, but Butch Davis has a lot of work to do. And, you're also right...Duke does suck.

appheel
December 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Why is everyone misspelling dook? :)

SoCon48
December 7th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I hear ya. Go Heels! Carolina has everything it needs to be a high quality program, but Butch Davis has a lot of work to do. And, you're also right...Duke does suck.

So do the Tar Holes.

ASU Kep
December 7th, 2006, 03:17 PM

What did I do?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Why is everyone misspelling dook? :)

Why would you disgrace the first half of your AGS name with the second part of it?

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM

I get where you are coming from, but from all storeis being told if YSU fans are hoping for the Apps to overlook them, their hopes are all but dashed.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM
So do the Tar Holes.

In football yes, but Duke does in general (but not as bad as the two schools envious neighbor NC *****)

SoCon48
December 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Why would you disgrace the first half of your AGS name with the second part of it?

I was thinking the same thing.

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
yeah really, there must be something you can do to change that..........heels?? geez

They are the same team that Furman almost beat AT Chapel Hill of all places, do you not remember what we did to Furman this season??? Ask Death Dealer.

FlyYtown
December 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Ya guitarboy I wouldn't begin making these threads until you win.... It seems a few of the ASU fans are already looking to Chattanooga.... Another reason I want YSU to win this one!!!

GO GUINS