PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Coaching Hires/Fires

Smitty
October 13th, 2015, 08:30 AM
With the FBS starting to fire* coaches (most recently USC, SC). Do we have any FCS coaches that may be looking at getting fired or moving up?

*Fire, quit, retire, chased out by pitchforks and torches by boosters, bitten by a zombie (everybody knows that zombies can't be head coaches maybe special teams though), or won the lottery and disappeared without a trace

Daytripper
October 13th, 2015, 08:37 AM
With the FBS starting to fire coaches (most recently USC, SC). Do we have any FCS coaches that may be looking at getting fired or moving up?

Spurrier wasn't fired. And North Texas was one that fired their coach. It is likely they will poach an FCS coach.

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2015, 08:39 AM
In the MVFC I'd say Dale Lennon's seat at SIU is the hottest. His team has shown signs of life this year though so I wouldn't expect him to be fired midseason. Joe Glenn at USD may end up retiring at the end of this season as well, I'm not sure he has the coaching drive anymore and USD has been spinning their wheels ever since he got there it seems.

I'm sure that guy at YSU is going to get looks from a lot of teams who'll be looking for a new coach in December as well.

Smitty
October 13th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Spurrier wasn't fired.

You are absolutely correct. I added a couple more categories to help cover all possible transitions.

Bison56
October 13th, 2015, 11:26 AM
In the MVFC I'd say Dale Lennon's seat at SIU is the hottest. His team has shown signs of life this year though so I wouldn't expect him to be fired midseason. Joe Glenn at USD may end up retiring at the end of this season as well, I'm not sure he has the coaching drive anymore and USD has been spinning their wheels ever since he got there it seems.

I'm sure that guy at YSU is going to get looks from a lot of teams who'll be looking for a new coach in December as well.

If they continue to have a success this season I would be surprised if someone doesn't make him an offer.

Daytripper
October 13th, 2015, 12:04 PM
If they continue to have a success this season I would be surprised if someone doesn't make him an offer.

I think major programs would wait at least another year before taking a chance. They would want to see at least see if can control his tendency to be ****ing insane

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/451038023791038464/wG6l0e_5_400x400.jpeg

BisonTru
October 13th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Keep in mind Nebraska owes Pelini 1.7m a year till 2019. If he takes a coaching job Nebraska owes him 1.7m - whatever he is making elsewhere. So, YSU is paying him 200K and Nebraska is paying him 1.5m. I would imagine that prices out all the G5 schools and maybe even the lower P5s. Unless, it was a gig Bo wanted. The money doesn't come into play unless one of the big boys wants to shell out a big guarantee contract that would be better than what he's got now.

ElCid
October 13th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Spurrier wasn't fired.
He wasn't fired, but in my mind's eye I can see exactly how it went down with him....

On Sunday he sat down and decided to look at some of the replays of the teams he has yet to play. When he got to The Citadel-Wofford game and saw the thumping we gave them, he cringed and decided that rather suffer through a loss at our hands on 21 Nov, he would bow out now.....xnodx

Bisonoline
October 13th, 2015, 04:39 PM
After the game this past weekend he made a very odd comment as he was coming off the field. I first thought--man that is weird-strange comment.
Now this.

goyotes
October 13th, 2015, 04:44 PM
I am guessing Pelini will be coaching at Youngstown longer than Youngstown is in the MVFC

clenz
October 13th, 2015, 04:46 PM
The only coach fired for competitive issues was UNT.

Sark was an alcohol abuse issue
Spurrier just quit

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2015, 04:54 PM
After the game this past weekend he made a very odd comment as he was coming off the field. I first thought--man that is weird-strange comment.
Now this.

....WHAT WAS DUH COMMENT........xconfusedx...............FIRE BROCK!

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I'm sure there's for sale signs in Stitt's yard by now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 13th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Sort of a drift here in football level but my classmate stepped down at Jamestown, ND. (NAIA). 5 years as head coach but had a tough time winning. Hope he bounces back soon.

TTUEagles
October 13th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I'd love for ours to go, but no one but me - apparently - gives a dsmn. I get all of my (polite, but firm) Facebook posts deleted and blocked by Twitter, so I'm basically done with TTU

Fear the Bird
October 13th, 2015, 09:04 PM
The fact that Brock made it back from Rhode Island with his job is disturbing

superman7515
October 14th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Now this.

You're talking about a man who once quit a coaching job over the phone from a golf course... I'd completely believe he was the kind of tool to just get mad about how a season was going and then leave.

katstrapper
October 14th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Could the faithful for SFA be starting to strike the matches on Conque a little or did he walk into a big mess when he took over the program after Harper was fired? I find it hard to believe that their program has fallen off this much. Conque is a proven coach, but the fans have to be scratching their heads a little.

Mattymc727
October 14th, 2015, 07:11 AM
The fact that Brock made it back from Rhode Island with his job is disturbing

On the contrary, that URI win may have saved Flemings job for a little while.

McNeese75
October 14th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Could the faithful for SFA be starting to strike the matches on Conque a little or did he walk into a big mess when he took over the program after Harper was fired? I find it hard to believe that their program has fallen off this much. Conque is a proven coach, but the fans have to be scratching their heads a little.

I am sure Harper left a real cluster over there so Conque will probably get another year or two to right the ship. (at least until his son graduates xnodx )

bluehenbillk
October 14th, 2015, 08:32 AM
....WHAT WAS DUH COMMENT........xconfusedx...............FIRE BROCK!

We should only be so lucky!

eiu1999
October 14th, 2015, 08:41 AM
EIU won't be patient with Kim Dameron. Two seasons of sloppy play and missed opportunities.

JALMOND
October 14th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I know this isn't really what was meant by this thread, but Portland State removed the "interim" part from Coach Barnum. He is the actual head coach now. 5-yr contract.