PDA

View Full Version : New & Future Locations for the Championship Game? - no offense to Chatty

GrizDen
December 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I posted this as a response in a different thread, but thought it might warrant a special thread of its very own. I’ve updated my original thoughts slightly and have added much more information than I had planned. I hope you will all read this as I would be curious to get your opinions as well as new ideas.

Quick question; does anyone know how much longer Chatty has an agreement in place to host the Championship Game? I like their facilities, especially the pavilion for tailgating and the new SprinTurf (or equivalent) that was installed after the “Sod Bowl” in 2004.

Other possibilities for future sites of the FCS Championship Game
I chose the following sites as the fan base at these schools would ensure a sell-out or near sell-out regardless of which teams are playing. I also chose them as they seem to be the four current institutions that have shown a long history of support and success in our division of football (no offense to those you feel I left out, that is why I ask you to respond and help educate me on this idea):
University of Delaware
Youngstown State
Georgia Southern (actually hosted for three years in 1989-1991 with GSU taking home 2 of their 6 National Championships). Question for GSU fans, what is the Bishop Field House used for on Gameday?
University of Montana

I’m personally not a fan of Domes, but these two schools seem to make the most sense if that is open to the various school presidents and AD’s:
Northern Iowa (I would have placed UNI with the above group of four if not for the dome factor)
North Dakota State University (I know they’re the new kids on the block, but it’s hard to deny that it is a nice facility. 4 hour drive from the nearest big airport (Twin Cities) may rule it out, but heck Chatty is 2.5 hours from both Nashville and Atlanta, what’s another 1.5 hour drive to count how many lakes you’ve driven by?

Other sites of interest when considering the opportunity to play the game in slightly warmer weather:
UC Davis – they’re opening up a beautiful new stadium in 2007 and are located just 15 miles to the West of Sacramento.

Someplace in Texas? My leading choice would be the Alamodome. I know that contradicts my previous dome statement, but c’mon folks….dream big with me here. If you knew the big game was going to be in San Antonio with a 2-3 year notice, wouldn’t you seriously think about going? It would be great to see 500-1000 fans from the top 30 FCS schools show up to show their support for our level of football. Add that to the typical 15-20K that usually show up for the Championship game and you get a crowd of 30,000-45,000 which would fill up the first two levels of the Alamodome. Side note; the address for the Alamodome is 100 Montana Street (potentially good omen for the Griz or Cats - he he).

For a reality check and to keep it on site at an existing FCS schools, Texas State seems to be the leading contender as their stadium and adjoining facility is top-notch. It’s located between Austin and San Antonio which is another bonus. The only major strike is that there is a track around the field which keeps the fans further from the action.

If the game is kept in Tennessee, how about Nashville? At least there is a bigger airport to fly into, and a much more active nightlife (no offense to Chatty). True we’d have to soil ourselves to hold the game in a BCS stadium (Vanderbilt – capacity close to 40K), but with Nashville being a bigger destination to visit, I may actually be able to convince my wife to go as well 

Anyone else open to this? Feel open to firing away at any of my thoughts as to why they don’t make sense. I won’t be offended.

MplsBison
December 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Are you talking about UND or NDSU? NDSU is in Fargo. UND is in Grand Forks.

GrizDen
December 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Are you talking about UND or NDSU? NDSU is in Fargo. UND is in Grand Forks.

I've made the correction above to state NDSU, I should know that by now. :bang: Thanks.

aust42
December 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I like it right where it's at in Chatty, TN. It's a nice venue and typically has warm weather. Montana has a beautiful stadium but WAY too cold come Championship game time. However I wouldn't mind making a vaca out of it and head over to Big Sky and do some skiing. Youngstown and my beloved Delaware have great stadiums are too cold too. I like your Nashville option. Great area and night life.

appfan2008
December 5th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I dont know much about the stadiums but I know YSU has a way too small away side to host. Also way too cold for all those but GSU. GSU though is seriously in the middle of nowhere. Even though I love it being only 5 hours away in Chatty, moving to Texas or somewhere in the middle of the country may be a little more fair to our western friends.

Henny
December 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
The people in Chatty loved the Hens in 03'. We dominated that city and all the locals said how much they would root for us to come back(they jinxed us). Not a bad place for our championship though, lots of fun.

They really want to keep the game.

MplsBison
December 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
It's 75 degrees in the Fargodome year round.

BearsCountry
December 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM
How about Springfield? We have a nice stadium, with some minor renovations could be really top notch. Centrally located, we got Branson close if you want entertainment, we have an airport with major airlines and playoff football never happens around here so the field is available.

SouthernEagle02
December 5th, 2006, 06:40 PM
If you were to move that game, it needs to be in a facitly of no fewer than 18k seats. My thinking about it being in Chatty is that recently there have only been a handful of teams west of the Mississippi (Montana and UNI are coming to mind) to play for the title. So to sell the most tickets, they just hold it in a city close to where most teams are located, keeping travel cost down. My thing with Nashville is, chances are you would be playing the game in the Titans stadium and you'd be lucky to even fill up the lower bowl and I doubt Vandy would rent their stadium out for a night. But here are some cities that may make good venues if the NCAA ever decided to move the game:
Birmingham, AL
Mobile, AL (Where they play the senior bowl)
Memphis, TN
Jacksonville, FL (Again, much like playing in Nashville, playing in Alltel you'd
be pushing it trying to fill the lower bowl, but certainly
warm!!)
And yes our fieldhouse is operational during gamedays. Ususally donors and such meet there for pregame stuff. Very nice facility though. The recent renovations to Paulson really have returned it to one of the premier I-AA venues IMO.

BTW, Griz fans, does ya'lls stadium have lights or are they going to truck lights in for Friday night?

GrizDen
December 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
BTW, Griz fans, does ya'lls stadium have lights or are they going to truck lights in for Friday night?

ESPN2 is bringing the lights. With the next stadium expansion (updated box suites and press box, ~3,500-4,000 more seats as a second level) there is talk of including lights on a permanent basis. Hopefully this will take place in the next 2-5 years.:thumbsup:

SouthernEagle02
December 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
ESPN2 is bringing the lights. With the next stadium expansion (updated box suites and press box, ~3,500-4,000 more seats as a second level) there is talk of including lights on a permanent basis. Hopefully this will take place in the next 2-5 years.:thumbsup:
Makes sense. I never understood why there were never permanent lights put in during the last expansion there. Too nice of a place not to have them.

Griswold
December 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I also think Nashville would be a great host city for the same reasons; great airport (easy in and out), night life (it's not all country) and Vandy stadium would be great or possibly LP Field.

Side note: I happend to drive throught the University of Delware campus and by the stadium for the first time today...very nice!

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I like it right where it's at in Chatty, TN. It's a nice venue and typically has warm weather. Montana has a beautiful stadium but WAY too cold come Championship game time. However I wouldn't mind making a vaca out of it and head over to Big Sky and do some skiing. Youngstown and my beloved Delaware have great stadiums are too cold too. I like your Nashville option. Great area and night life.

I think I heard that Chattanooga renewed their contract to host just last year for another 3 or 4 years. If there was an ideal place to have this game, Chatty may be it. The NCAA liked the fact that UTC replaced the field with field turf before last season due to the terrible condition the field (natural grass) was in during the NC game of 2004.

The locals have really rolled out the red carpet for us fans. The stadium is downtown. It is a clean city. There's stuff for the kiddies to do on the day before the game (like the Aquarium). For those there longer than a couple days, the nearby battlefield and historic sites are really neat.

I think one of the best features of Chatty is the big warehouse bldg. w/ no walls right beside the stadium. It is the perfect place to go after tailgating but before the game. Anyway, I think Chatty will be hard to beat.

On the other hand, I could see going out West as well.

mainejeff
December 5th, 2006, 08:26 PM
1. Orlando
2. Las Vegas

psc2445
December 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
sorry for the folks out west, but i think chatty does a good job and have really stepped up their courtship of us, and with the major majority of fcs teams in the eastern region i think the location allows for the best travel. personally i dont believe there is a better place, that is centrally located. granted if it where in vegas and UM and Cal Poly made it, it would be a sellout, but i think the officials are just playing the odds, on where the travelers would be coming from

ncguitarplyr
December 5th, 2006, 08:42 PM
chattanooga is the best: great stadium, pretty central location, great town, plenty of hotels, and no offense but utc has no chance of getting there keeping the national championship at a neutral site

Cocky
December 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Birmingham wouldn't work Legion Field is a dump.

SouthernEagle02
December 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Birmingham wouldn't work Legion Field is a dump.
Wow, talk about being honest. xlolx

DFW HOYA
December 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Rotate it around the nation. That includes the Northeast.

hapapp
December 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Notice what happend to the DI soccer championship this past weekend when they moved it to the midwest. I do think you have to consider climate and potential weather problems.

MrTitleist
December 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Move it to Vegas.. this having to fly East stuff every couple years is unnecessary. :) And besides, who wouldn't have fun in Vegas.. that alone is a spectacle.

Appguy
December 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
It's 75 degrees in the Fargodome year round.

because every CS team would love to go play in the middle of nowhere which is at least a 10 hour flight from basically everywhere

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
i agree withe everyone else who said Vegas. Imagine nice weather, things to do, and in a large city that is close to many FCS schools. also it would always be neutral since NV doesnt have a FCS school. Also i concur with San Antonio it would be a great place to hold it.

Griswold
December 5th, 2006, 09:52 PM
i agree withe everyone else who said Vegas. Imagine nice weather, things to do, and in a large city that is close to many FCS schools. also it would always be neutral since NV doesnt have a FCS school. Also i concur with San Antonio it would be a great place to hold it.

As long as it's not in the Alamo Dome.

Appguy
December 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I think theres too many teams to the eastern US for the game not to be there

MarkCCU
December 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
bring the Championship back to Charleston for a few years!

ucdtim17
December 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Vegas, New Orleans, Florida . . .

Never, ever North Dakota or Youngstown

Appguy
December 5th, 2006, 11:55 PM
1. Appalachian St
2. Montana
3. Massachusetts
4. North Dakota St
5. Youngstown St
6. James Madison
7. Furman
8. New Hampshire
9. Illinois St
10. Southern Illinois
11. Hampton
12. Tenn Martin
13. Coastal Carolina
14. Princeton
15. Northern Iowa
16. Eastern Illinois
17. Cal Poly
18. Portland St
19. Montana St
20. San Diego
21. South Dakota St
22. Monmouth
23. McNeese St
24. Yale
25. Wofford

Green schools are east of mississippi river
Red arent championship eledgible

bunny
December 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas is about the right size at 36K....
http://unlvrebels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/unlv-m-footbl-boyd.html
http://www.collegegridirons.com/mountainwest/sammain.jpg

American Legion Stadium in Charlotte looks old, but at 24K it's the right size in a good location....
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg

GrizDen
December 6th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I concur with the many folks that say Chatty has embraced their hosting role. One of the reasons why I posed this question is from a financial standpoint in the interest of putting more "butts in seats." The average attendance for championship games in Chatty is just over 16,200 which is ~80% of capacity.

If there are other locations that may make it feasible to sell more tickets...that should be a good thing. Surely we can get 20K+ fans in some other areas on a consistent basis.

Everyone has their own personal preferences as to what would make it more interesting to go the championship game and location is a big factor. Another big factor is "other stuff to do" that would make folks want to make a weekend of it (especially if the NCAA is going to continue scheduling the game on Friday nights). I like the Las Vegas idea, even though I'm not a gambler (always cheap flights even on short notice).

Griswold - if not the Alamodome in San Antonio - what other facilities do they have there that would be acceptable?

Skyhawk Nation 24
December 6th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Nashville, Nashville, Nashville!!!! If you guys like Chatty, then Nashville will be 10 times better. We have a better nightlife (who doesn't like Coyote Ugly on 2nd Ave.), Vanderbilt has a great venue to stage the game, and it will generate more interest from the locals. Here is Vandy's stadium, they just put in field turf and so the field will be in great shape.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/vand-stadium-night.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/vand-stadium-day.jpg

BeauFoster
December 6th, 2006, 06:40 AM
American Legion Stadium in Charlotte is large enough, but it is dirt old. Charlotte would be a good place for the game (if it was on a rotating schedule) for several reason mentioned with other cities above. There is an international airport, the city is served by 2 main interstate highways and is 30 minutes away from I-40, there are plenty of hotels and soon it will be the home of the Nascar Hall of Fame (if you are into that kinda thing). BofA Stadium would be too large, though.

RabidRabbit
December 6th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Nashville, Nashville, Nashville!!!! If you guys like Chatty, then Nashville will be 10 times better. We have a better nightlife (who doesn't like Coyote Ugly on 2nd Ave.), Vanderbilt has a great venue to stage the game, and it will generate more interest from the locals. Here is Vandy's stadium, they just put in field turf and so the field will be in great shape.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/vand-stadium-night.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/vand-stadium-day.jpg

Isn't TN St U also in Nashville, playing out of the Titan's stadium. If so then we have a host FCS school.

Jacksonville at the Gator Bowl, Bethan-Cookman, U of Jacksonville (non-schollie), FAMU sorta hosts. McNeese/SELA- Jackson St. These all have larger capacity venues in a southern climate with FCS.

It would be nice to rotate the game around. However, Omaha has demonstrated that having a constant host (CWS) can be a good thing too. It sounds like Chatty is doing this championship game up right.

Col Hogan
December 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Chatty no doubt embraces their hosting role, but in all honesty, I don't hear many people saying "Let's go to Chattanoga for vacation". If putting butts in the seats is the aim, and following the model of other big football games (Bowls, Super Bowl, etc) we want to help the NCAA make $$'s and offer outstanding venues, I think Orlando or Vegas need to be considered strongly. A family based festival outside, other entertainment sites offered in either of those cities (San Antonio could also be in this mix) and good weather all add up to more people making the trip. Remember, the avid fan will travel no matter where the game is played...it's the casual fan you need to attract to make the bucks.

Tealblood
December 6th, 2006, 07:32 AM
In a few years you will have the Myrle Beach chamber organizing a bid. We have more hotel rooms than any CS and as discussed almost more than any BS.
That time of year a lot of hotel rooms are pretty much empty. Most snowbirds do not come until after the christmas holidays(spend time with grandkids then head south).
The weather is pretty nice this time of year.
CCU's stadium will be starting to get to around 10,000 with plenty of room for more.
You bring your golf clubs get 2-3 rounds of golf in and watch your team try to win a National Champ.

henfan
December 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Friends, all this talk is nice but, like most discussion, it's also cheap. The reality is that the championship game isn't moving from Chattanooga anytime soon. There just aren't other cities interested in bidding on the game, certainly not to the extent of Chattanooga. At last count, Cedar Falls and SA were the only other cities even remotely interested in the game. There was minimal interest from Orlando but they didn't bid.

Charleston, Las Vegas, etc.- all great locations but it just isn't going to happen.

Until Chattanooga falls down and barring some major interest from another viable host city, the game will remain at Finley.

AppAttack
December 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Move it to Vegas.. this having to fly East stuff every couple years is unnecessary. :) And besides, who wouldn't have fun in Vegas.. that alone is a spectacle.

My only problem with Vegas is that nobody would know who won..."What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."xlolx

jimgrizfan
December 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM
My only problem with Vegas is that nobody would know who won..."What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."xlolx

CLASSIC:hurray:

Pard4Life
December 6th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Orlando, New Orleans, San Diego

Las Vegas is too much of a distraction. Orlando is perfect... sports haven and Disney.

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Chattanooga is an OK place to have the NC game but it certainly doesn't merit being a permanent site. I'd like to see the game rotated around & be in different parts of the country.

Over a span of 8 years - play it in the Northeast quadrant twice (A-10 & Patriot country), play it in the South twice (Southern/Southland/OVC country), play it in the midwest/North twice (Gateway country) & play it out West twice (Big Sky country).

To me anyway it loses its appeal just having it one place, unless it's just a great locale, which no offense to Chatty, it's just not.

grzftbl
December 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Another vote for Vegas. Dang near everybody can make it there via non-stop flight. Even us Montana folk.:eyebrow:

mainejeff
December 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM
If Myrtle Beach can get a decent sized stadium, then they would be a great location.....especially after the Hard Rock Theme Park opens.

MACHIAVELLI
December 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Shreveport, LA
Memphis, TN
Little Rock, AR

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Why do people keep talking about "night life"? most of the people traveling great distances for games are people who are brining their families. Chatty has plenty of interesting historical sites, is near some great camping locations, and has a good aquarium. Hell, I'm a bachleor and I'd rather visit chatty than stupid overrated Las Vegas even if money was of no concern.

I remember someone computing the average latitudal and longitudal coordinates of all of the CS schools (a weighted average where you have more "weight" depending on your average attendance) and the center was somewhere in Kentucky. UTC is reasonably near that and over time would yield the best attendance. A place like Las Vegas would be an extremely long drive for everyone, including Cal Poly and Northern Arizona.

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Vegas is the ideal situation.

MrTitleist
December 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM

haha.. touche to that. :thumbsup:

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM
because every CS team would love to go play in the middle of nowhere which is at least a 10 hour flight from basically everywhere

I don't think the Fargodome should host it. I was just saying that it was warm in there, not cold like the other guy said.

Mpls to NYC is 2 hr 40 min

Mpls to LA is 4 hr

10 hours is not correct.

Ronbo
December 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Thing about Orlando or Vegas is the cheap flights and plentiful flights. Then there is lot's to do before and after the game. This would bring more fans because it doubles as a vacation. We had 7000 go to Hawaii back in 2001 for a OCC game. Griz would get 15,000 to Vegas.

MrTitleist
December 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I remember someone computing the average latitudal and longitudal coordinates of all of the CS schools (a weighted average where you have more "weight" depending on your average attendance) and the center was somewhere in Kentucky. UTC is reasonably near that and over time would yield the best attendance. A place like Las Vegas would be an extremely long drive for everyone, including Cal Poly and Northern Arizona.

You must be from the East.. Vegas isn't an unreasonable drive for those at Poly or NAU.. hell, Vegas isn't even that bad of a drive from Missoula, people do it all the time!

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
He probably complains about driving from Washington to Baltimore.

89Hen
December 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Ugh. We go through this every year. The thing that everyone needs to accept is if you make it flying distance for 95% of I-AA, attendance will PLUMMET. There is only one place in the west the game could survive and that is Missoula. End of story. You put it in Vegas and you may as well play it at a field with no stands if Montana's not in it.

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
A Vegas game would easily draw 35k.

89Hen
December 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I'd wager my 401k on that one.

slycat
December 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Someplace in Texas? My leading choice would be the Alamodome. I know that contradicts my previous dome statement, but c’mon folks….dream big with me here. If you knew the big game was going to be in San Antonio with a 2-3 year notice, wouldn’t you seriously think about going? It would be great to see 500-1000 fans from the top 30 FCS schools show up to show their support for our level of football. Add that to the typical 15-20K that usually show up for the Championship game and you get a crowd of 30,000-45,000 which would fill up the first two levels of the Alamodome. Side note; the address for the Alamodome is 100 Montana Street (potentially good omen for the Griz or Cats - he he).

For a reality check and to keep it on site at an existing FCS schools, Texas State seems to be the leading contender as their stadium and adjoining facility is top-notch. It’s located between Austin and San Antonio which is another bonus. The only major strike is that there is a track around the field which keeps the fans further from the action.

The Alamodome would be a good place because it isnt used much and Texans love football. However it would be tough to sell that many seats.

Texas St is a decent choice that would be better in the future. Someday when we do a stadium expansion and up the seating to 25000-30000 and remove the track.

I like the idea of moving the game around the country.

jmuroller
December 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I seriously doubt it.

Leave it in Chatty. They want it there, the town does a great job of hosting it, the stadium is perfect for it, and it is centrally located compared to the majority of the 1-AA's of the world. I see absolutely no reason to move it. Everyone keeps talking about moving it to these cities, and no one understands that those places could care less about the Championship Game. The don't want to bid for the game. Leave it somewhere where the local community wants it.

89Hen
December 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Pocatello, Idaho - 11,500
Pocatello, Idaho - 11,513
Tacoma, Wash - 4,419
Tacoma, Wash - 5,306
Wichita Falls, Texas - 11,257
Wichita Falls, Texas - 11,003
Sacramento, Calif - 8,157
Wichita Falls, Texas - 13,604

GrizDen
December 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Ugh. We go through this every year. The thing that everyone needs to accept is if you make it flying distance for 95% of I-AA, attendance will PLUMMET. There is only one place in the west the game could survive and that is Missoula. End of story. You put it in Vegas and you may as well play it at a field with no stands if Montana's not in it.

89Hen/OldGuard, you ever hear of progress? The only way that happens is by exploring new ideas. To say "we go through this every year" - well some of us are newer to this site and don't have 1,000+ posts. I enjoy reading and responding to the posts on this site to get a pulse from the masses on questions like the one posed on this thread.

I don't think anyone is saying we commit to Vegas or any other location for multiple years. But what's wrong with having 3-4 new locations see what it's like to host. Judging by the responses to the previous posts; Vegas, Nashville, Orlando and potentially San Antonio are the front runners. Having those sites awarded the site of the Championship 3-4 years ahead of time (like they do with the March Madness sites) would allow fans of our level of football to plan ahead of time. Yes....I realize the majority of the fans in attendance will alwasy be of the two schools that are represented and that most of the schools are East of the Mississippi River. Additional seats are sold to every sporting event that are just that... an EVENT, a happening, a celebration if you will.

In response to: "if you make it flying distance for 95% of I-AA, attendance will PLUMMET" - I'd like to think that the location of Nashville and Orlando would still draw the average at Chatty (16,202), and draw a minimum of 10-12K in San Antonio or Vegas. With only 16K fans attending on a typical year, I don't think PLUMMET is a possibility. Until more locals and fans start showing up to Chatty regardless of if there school or conference is in the big game, I don't think this should be an open and shut discussion. Until a few different sites are tried, this discussion will continue to be brought up every year - much to your dismay.

GrizDen
December 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I seriously doubt it.

Leave it in Chatty. They want it there, the town does a great job of hosting it, the stadium is perfect for it, and it is centrally located compared to the majority of the 1-AA's of the world. I see absolutely no reason to move it. Everyone keeps talking about moving it to these cities, and no one understands that those places could care less about the Championship Game. The don't want to bid for the game. Leave it somewhere where the local community wants it.

If they want it that bad, they should start selling this game out. Is filling a 20K capacity stadium that much to ask?

lizrdgizrd
December 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas is about the right size at 36K....
http://unlvrebels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/unlv-m-footbl-boyd.html
http://www.collegegridirons.com/mountainwest/sammain.jpg

American Legion Stadium in Charlotte looks old, but at 24K it's the right size in a good location....
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg
I've seen DCI competitions in the American Legion stadium. It's ok. I think parking might get a bit hairy if we really came close to filling it though.

GrizDen
December 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Pocatello, Idaho - 11,500
Pocatello, Idaho - 11,513
Tacoma, Wash - 4,419
Tacoma, Wash - 5,306
Wichita Falls, Texas - 11,257
Wichita Falls, Texas - 11,003
Sacramento, Calif - 8,157
Wichita Falls, Texas - 13,604

What's your point? These locations are all pre-1990 which is when the rise of more knowledable and appreciateive fans of our level of football started to occur in large part to YSU, GSU, Marshall and Montana having consistent success. They are also none of the new locations that people are talking about.

Whoever the "powers that be" decided to hold it in Tacoma, WA where there is absolutely no knowledge or appreciation of I-AA (at the time) football or Pocatello, ID where there is absolutely nothing to do must have been insane.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM
You must be from the East.. Vegas isn't an unreasonable drive for those at Poly or NAU.. hell, Vegas isn't even that bad of a drive from Missoula, people do it all the time!

I think the drive between Bozeman and Missoula is a bit much...it has to be somewhere on the order of 500 miles. I doubt many students will make that trip. I know we never have many students making the 350 or so mile drive from Statesboro to Boone every two years. Do you westerners do 100 on the interstate or something?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
If they want it that bad, they should start selling this game out. Is filling a 20K capacity stadium that much to ask?

How is it the city's fault that the games do not sell out? Are they supposed to offer a big screen TV to all who show up? How many IAA games sell out anyways, besides Griz games and a few HBCU games? Not many. Just because you guys can get a good many people to fly or drive across the country to see a game doesn't mean other schools fans are going to do the same.

89Hen
December 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
89Hen/OldGuard, you ever hear of progress? The only way that happens is by exploring new ideas...
How is moving the game to Vegas to hope for even the same attendance progress? AppSt vs JMU in Vegas is going to draw no more than 7,500.

89Hen
December 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
What's your point? These locations are all pre-1990 which is when the rise of more knowledable and appreciateive fans of our level of football started to occur in large part to YSU, GSU, Marshall and Montana having consistent success. They are also none of the new locations that people are talking about.

Whoever the "powers that be" decided to hold it in Tacoma, WA where there is absolutely no knowledge or appreciation of I-AA (at the time) football or Pocatello, ID where there is absolutely nothing to do must have been insane.
Vegas, the hotbed of I-AA football. :rolleyes: BTW, GSU played in three of those games, Marshall in one and Furman in two.

BillLuc1982
December 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM
How is moving the game to Vegas to hope for even the same attendance progress? AppSt vs JMU in Vegas is going to draw no more than 7,500.

You can install slot/poker machines in every seat and give away complimentary beer! :smiley_wi

Peems
December 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I think the drive between Bozeman and Missoula is a bit much...it has to be somewhere on the order of 500 miles. I doubt many students will make that trip. I know we never have many students making the 350 or so mile drive from Statesboro to Boone every two years. Do you westerners do 100 on the interstate or something?

yes:thumbsup:

MYTAPPY
December 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I don't have a problem with the 'Nooga. Plenty of stuff to do and bars to drink in. I was able to walk to everywhere I wanted from my hotel last year. I had a blast last year. Of course my team winning probably helped on the fun meter. Also the 'Nooga is close for me to drive. Only 5 1/2 hours from Charlotte. I know that doesn't help out those midwest/western schools. It is though a very nice city.

DinoDex200
December 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM
The only place I could see it moving would be Charleston. Unlikely Citadel or CSU ever makes it, so it would be neutral...and The Citadel is doing extensive renovations to Johnson-Hagood, and it is comparable in size to Finley.

On top of that, it is a destination city in a warm climate, with plenty of that "nightlife" you folks keep mentioning. :)

December 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
has to be pretty centrally located...

fencer24
December 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Looking at the map, maybe we should just go back to Marshall?

December 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Remember this?
Epicenter of the I-AA Universe
Posted by HensRock on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:11:14
All of this talk about where to locate the national championship game got me thinking about methods to minimize travel for everyone by locating the game at the center of the I-AA world. Take Latitude and Longitude for every I-AA location and average them, but here's the twist- Weight the average by the average attendance per game from last season - so the more butts your team puts in the seats, the stronger the influence or "pull" you have on the epicenter. The result of 37.02953°N, 86.01906°W actually falls within 20 miles of a major I-AA team. Can you guess who? 2002 National Champion Western Kentucky!

Epicenter of the I-AA Championship Participant Universe
Posted by 89Hen on January 16, 2004 @ 14:55:27
...I averaged the longitude and latitude of all the teams (still in I-AA) that have played in the NC game in the last 10 years...The geographic center of the I-AA NC game participants lies within 20 miles of EKU in Richmond, KY, which is 250 miles from Chattanooga. If you go back to 1978, ironically even though EKU played in three NC games, the center moves to 40 miles from WKU in Bowling Green, KY.Maybe after WKU upgrades their stadium the FCS can use it for the national championship game, they won't be using at that time. :p

BillLuc1982
December 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Remember this?Maybe after WKU upgrades their stadium the FCS can use it for the nationachampionship game, they won't be using at that time. :p

At least it will be at a neutral site, unlike when YSU vs Marshall was at Marshall.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I think the map is great but you should eliminate the Ivy schools and any others that are not a part of the playoffs to get a geographic center for just the teams that might be in the title game. Just a thought, otherwise it is right where it should be.

NorthDakotaBison
December 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
not that the game should ever be played in fargo, but

1) the distance issue is a farce.

although not located in the highly-populated FCS east, it's a relatively convenient place to reach.

2) at least folks in fargo know football.

the event would be huge. if each team brought 4,000 fans we'd bring the rest.

3) weather is not an issue.

while exposure can freeze one's balls to the size of one's legs during some parts of the winter, the fargodome is always a balmy 71 degrees.

4) any ags.com member and 1 guest would be invited to tailgate with NDB

GrizDen
December 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Looking at the map, maybe we should just go back to Marshall?

Nice....I bet 5,000+ Marshall fans show up:D

89Hen
December 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
it's a relatively convenient place to reach.
So is my arse but I wouldn't want to play a football game there either. :p :p Sorry NDB, couldn't resist. :D

claydus
December 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
1. Appalachian St
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Better stock up on the port-o-potties

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I think the map is great but you should eliminate the Ivy schools and any others that are not a part of the playoffs to get a geographic center for just the teams that might be in the title game. Just a thought, otherwise it is right where it should be.

Eliminate the Ivies and even the SWAC teams, and I'd bet the center is still somewhere east of the Mississippi.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Why not let the top seed hold the game at there stadium. That way we would always sell it out. Yes there would be a major homefield advantage but we have done it in the past with GSU, Marshall etc... I think it would work!

Tealblood
December 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I had a conversation with the mayor of Myrtle Beach. He said we need to make a play to host the championship game I understand the pres. of the chamber has said basically the same thing.
This is a business decision---we got tons of rooms with owners wanting to make deals in late december.

HiHiYikas
December 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I had a conversation with the mayor of Myrtle Beach. He said we need to make a play to host the championship game I understand the pres. of the chamber has said basically the same thing.
This is a business decision---we got tons of rooms with owners wanting to make deals in late december.
I vote yes. Heck, my wife might actually want to go if it were in Myrtle Beach.

crunifan
December 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I say just get it out of Chattanooga. The stadium is great, but that city is disgustingly dirty...

GeauxColonels
December 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Orlando, New Orleans, San Diego

Las Vegas is too much of a distraction. Orlando is perfect... sports haven and Disney.
I've seen New Orleans mentioned several times and, while I would LOVE the championship game to be THAT CLOSE that I could go every year :thumbsup: I don't see it realistically even being a REMOTE possibility.

First off, where would you hold it? The Superdome? Possible...but even with 20,000 people there, the play looks E-M-P-T-Y! Besides that, there's truly only one other place in the city to hold a football game: Tad Gormley Stadium in New Orleans City Park

3704 3705

It's a nice facility, but as you can see...it's MUCH better situated for track & field as it was completely rennovated to be the site for the 1996 US Olympic Trials.

Some of you may remember the picture below from the Hurricane Katrina coverage:

Other than that...not really any other options in or around the New Orleans area.

Machiavelli did have an interesting suggestion in Shreveport, LA...the city is home to the Independence Bowl and the stadium there holds roughly 50,000 (so it would still look somewhat empty with 20,000 in attendence).

For more info on Independence Stadium (and more pictures): GO HERE (http://www.ci.shreveport.la.us/dept/spar/sites/sites_gfx/indy/index1.htm)

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2006, 04:37 PM
If it was in Vegas I'd go every year. Cheap flights in and out = less time off work and less money spent.

I hope to start going every year regardless, but putting it in Vegas would make it much easier.

GeauxColonels
December 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
If it was in Vegas I'd go every year. Cheap flights in and out = less time off work and less money spent.

I hope to start going every year regardless, but putting it in Vegas would make it much easier.
I think that's the first time I've heard someone equate going to Vegas with spending LESS money than going somewhere else! :D

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM
has to be pretty centrally located...
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3535/06cscir4.jpg

Looks like Morehead State is the closest to the central point:

http://www.msueagles.com/uploads/MSU.Football.F.jpg

10k seats and fieldturf.

Not a bad stadium.

Oh, by the way, the Mississippi River only divides Minnesota and Wisconsin until Hastings MN/Prescott WI. North of there the border is the Saint Croix River.

walliver
December 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM

You can forget Myrtle Beach (or Charleston) for now, unless the NCAA decides to stick to college athletics and get out of politics.

I number of posters have mentioned vacation get-away type cities. The problem with these cities is that fans will have 6 days advance notice to make airline reservations, etc. Families with children have end-of-school term issues that make Orlando/Disney less attractive. The hard-core fans will travel to the game no matter where it is played, but you won't bring in many new fans that way. The BS bowls solve this problem be scheduling the games 3-4 weeks in advance. Although I know there are a few App fans who made their plans last January, the current FCS schedule doesn't give much notice. If you are going to have the NCAA Football Championship played in a vacation destination (that is not already a hotbed of FCS football), you are going to have to push the Championship game back into the "bowl season".

I personally would enjoy watching the NCAA championship on New Year's Eve:nod:

claydus
December 6th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Atlanta, Ga - Bobby Dodd Stadium
Memphis, TN - Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium
Louisville, KY - Papa John's Stadium
West Lafayette, IN - Purdue's Ross-Ade Stadium (drawbacks are small airport)
Charlottesville, VA - Carl Smith Center Stadium
Morgantown, West Virginia - Milan Puskar Stadium

MplsBison
December 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I vote no FBS team stadiums.

Lets stick to FCS team stadiums.

GrizDen
December 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=walliver]...number of posters have mentioned vacation get-away type cities. The problem with these cities is that fans will have 6 days advance notice to make airline reservations, etc. Families with children have end-of-school term issues that make Orlando/Disney less attractive.[QUOTE]

That could be the worst rebuttal yet. When cities are hosting these type of events, there are always numerous services that have access to hotel rooms that are "blocked out" for this sole purpose. Having it in larger city will equate to better flight options, hotel options and a boatload of other activities. Most institutions arrange a variety of charter buses and/or planes depending on where the team is traveling from to accomodate the fan base on short notice.

[QUOTE=walliver]The hard-core fans will travel to the game no matter where it is played, but you won't bring in many new fans that way. The BS bowls solve this problem be scheduling the games 3-4 weeks in advance. Although I know there are a few App fans who made their plans last January, the current FCS schedule doesn't give much notice. [QUOTE]

There's no way my heart and mind could wait 3 weeks to see who wins the Championship game after the semi's are done. I'm not trying to pick on you, just show you that this idea of finding a better location is not that "out of line."

Retro
December 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Everybody makes such a big deal about having to possibly fly to the game or drive more than 8 hours, but that shouldn't be the main determining factory..

GRIZ Fans, How many did you bring to the title game 2 years ago? I doubt many drove?

The game should try to be located in a warm climate for obvious reasons.. The colder it is along with a lot of snow or ice will detour many non-diehards from attempting to go the game regardless of if they are fans or alum or not, because TV is an option.

Also a warmer climate is more enticing for fans to come and see other attractions or stay longer at that site.. In addition the colder climates risk the chance of cancelled flights because of snow or ice.

Some CS cities would do good because of their fan base in that even if their own team isn't in the game they would probably put 3,000 local fans in the seats.

Centrally located really isn't a big deal to real fans.. WKU was a lot closer than Mcneese in 2002 but they brought half as many fans. Fans will go to the game regardless, as long as they have the money and means.

Vegas is a good site because of easier access to hotels, flights and other entertainment.. Despite what one person said, most fans will be adults, so bringing the kids to vegas is really not an issue, but even so there are a lot of attractions for families in vegas these days like the shows, m&m store, stratosphere, etc..

I think Mobile, AL would be good, because they do a great job with promoting the Senior Bowl and GMAC bowl, which was moved to january now... Mobile also has a 40,000 seat stadium, sprint turf and recently remodeled.
Chattanooga is a decent place, but let's face it, it's freaking cold in the mountains, especially at night and there isn't a whole lot to do there.. The stadium is also not located in the best part of town.

Best sites - Vegas, Orlando, Mobile, Houston, San Antonio.:thumbsup:

proasu89
December 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that the Holier Than Thou NCAA would look down on holding a National Championship in the mecca of sports wagering.

Griz0383
December 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I looked into flights from montana to atlanta and they are $1000.00 with a rental car! OUCH! flying to chatty was even more expensive! We are poor folk here in the woods and that will cut into my XMASS fund but what the heck its the national championship!!!!!!!! I don't care where they play it as long as the game is played!! I have a blast in Chatty and they take good care of the fans so I say leave it! but vegas sounds nice!

ncguitarplyr
December 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
chattanooga is the best...all the other suggestions have too many problems and so what if the actual city of chattanooga isn't that great...if people need some sort of theme park or casino to give them enough motiviation to see their school compete for a national title then i don't really want those "Fans" there anyway...and how many people really stay in the town past the day following the game?

December 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
10-Day Forecast for Chattanooga, TN
Fri Dec 15 Showers 57°/36°

FargoBison
December 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think Nashville or Mobile would be good sites, I say give each of them a year and see how it goes. If that goes well rotate the game or decide on keeping the game at the same site annually.

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM
The people in Chatty loved the Hens in 03'. We dominated that city and all the locals said how much they would root for us to come back(they jinxed us). Not a bad place for our championship though, lots of fun.

They really want to keep the game.

Have to agree, fine location, lots to do before and after the game.

UD doesn't have enough hotel rooms close enough to the venue, weather could also be a problem. Fanbase would not. I'll bet they would draw plenty of UD fans:eek:

Saluki Fan in FL
December 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Alot of folks like the idea of making a vacation out of it. And a number of you mentioned Orlando. How about this one... it's only 1 1/2hrs from Orlando. I work here and I can tell you for sure that they rent it out. They hold the FL high school championships here every year. Why not I-AA Championships.

http://gatorzone.com/insidefootball/images/facilities/swamp/6.jpg

December 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I looked into flights from montana to atlanta and they are $1000.00 with a rental car!Salt Lake City, UT → Atlanta, GA $300 RT. Getting to and from Missoula by air is not cheap no matter what. Better to drive to a major airport and fly to Atlanta or Nashville, rent a car and drive to Chatty.

Retro
December 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that the Holier Than Thou NCAA would look down on holding a National Championship in the mecca of sports wagering.

No, because this type of game will not have any betting interest.. The NCAA needs to wake up and realize that people bet on college games no matter where they are and that's not going to change, legal or not, so there is no use in holding cities hostage because of it..

Besides, there are so many states that now have some type of wagering, be it lottery, horse racing, video poker, casinos, etc., it's just a part of today's economic environment..

Griz40
December 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Salt Lake City, UT → Atlanta, GA $300 RT. Getting to and from Missoula by air is not cheap no matter what. Better to drive to a major airport and fly to Atlanta or Nashville, rent a car and drive to Chatty.
Ralph...try driving to SLC from Montana(anywhere in Montana since Griz fans are not just located in Missoula) this time of year. Or Denver. Or Seattle. Montanan's know we don't have much choices when it comes to flights but to drive that far to a major airport is another 2 days round trip which many don't want or need. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a rotating championship game to warmer locales than Chatty(even tho that is like spring in Missoula right now).

December 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Ralph...try driving to SLC from Montana(anywhere in Montana since Griz fans are not just located in Missoula) this time of year...That's the way I was able to save hundreds of dollars but that was for the first game of the year, not in December...

MrEvents
December 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
As a member of the Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee, I have read this thread with much interest. Much like our report card perhaps. Maybe not. Anyway, one fact that has not been mentioned so far, is the actual timing of the game....always or at least the last few years, the Friday before Christmas. That happens to usually be, depending on the year, the last full work-day before the Christmas Holidays for many. The evening of the company Christmas Party. The day mom/dad/the kids load up for the trip to Grandma's and leave at the first available moment. It's also in a three state border town that unfortunately hasn't had much local football success and shares fans with the biggies UT, GA, and UA. It's definately a challenge.

But things are looking up. Local Ticket Sales are exceeding past years. This years brackets insure some good possibilities. And the following comments from the NCAA:

By Mark Wiedmer
Columnist
Chattanooga Times-Free Press

A cold rain soaking his father's grand dream come true, Gordon Davenport Jr. looked out over Finley Stadium and Davenport Field early Thursday afternoon and softly said, "This is what he had in mind. He saw this long before most of us did."

Because Gordon Davenport Sr. would never take "no" for an answer regarding his goals for University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football, and because Max Finley's civic pride persuaded him to help make that dream a reality, Finley Stadium will host its 10th consecutive NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision championship game four weeks from today.

OK, so it's really the same Division I-AA title game it's been the past nine years. Roll with it, BCS elitists. It's still the highest level of college football using a playoff to crown its national champion.

And after hosting 10 straight, our town is now the closest thing to a permanent host the event has seen. Or as Dennis Poppe, the NCAA's managing director of football championships, said during Thursday's news conference, "The NCAA doesn't often do business with one community for this long a period of time."

The NCAA has done business with Omaha, Neb., the annual site of the College World Series, for more than 50 years. Poppe isn't yet ready to make that kind of commitment to the Scenic City, but he did say, "After 10 years, we're looking forward to continuing here for as long as we can."

To help cement that, the Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee commissioned Signco of Chattanooga to produce giant metal plaques commemorating the nine previous champs crowned at Finley.

Hung between the two skybox floors on the stadium's home side and fanning out from the middle, the colorful signs display the year, the logo of the winning school and each game's score. Between them -- four are currently on one side, five on the other -- are the words "Wall of Champions."

"We've got room for 44 total, and 34 years from now I won't have to worry about what we'll do then," joked Sports Committee chief Merrill Eckstein.

Just the fact that we're doing it now is yet another reason for the NCAA to feel good about Finley hosting this event for years to come.

"The signs are another indication of making this a special place," Poppe said. "Chattanooga just gets it. Whenever we've asked for something, they've delivered. When we had problems with the field, Gordon Davenport (Jr.) and others stepped up and put in a new (artificial) field in three months. That just doesn't happen.

"It's really nice to be worrying about things like the ticket lines being too long and not enough parking. We'll take those problems every year."

This is not to say the NCAA is not concerned about the long lines at the ticket windows, especially the will-call lines. To that end, fans not only can purchase tickets online this year but also print out copies to gain admission. More windows will be open. As for parking, well, come early and stay late. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within three or four blocks of the stadium.

Said Poppe before boarding a plane back to headquarters in Indianapolis: "When it comes to multiple-day events, I've always used Omaha as a model. We're beginning to use Chattanooga as the model for single-day championship events."

From somewhere high above, big Gordon must be smiling.

E-mail Mark Wiedmer at [email protected]

December 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
When and where does the parade occur? Is there a link somewhere with the route, participants, etc.?

MrEvents
December 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
When and where does the parade occur? Is there a link somewhere with the route, participants, etc.?

I am not aware of a link unfortunately. The Manager/Operator of Finley Stadium, Frank Burke, did this last year with success. It starts at Miller Park, which is near the Sheraton Read House, and finishes up at Finley. It was just an idea to give fans something to do that they normally wouldn't have the chance to do at any other facility and also show some holiday spirit at the same time. You can kick field goals, go in the dressing rooms, see where your seat for the game is, etc.

I'll try and get more info.

AmsterBison
December 7th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I don't care where it is as much as when it is... I just wish there was an extra week between the semifinals and the SATURDAY of the championship game. Or mix it in with the bowls. Or something.

It's amazing to me that 16,000 can make it to Chattanooga on such short notice for a Friday game.

thirdgendin
December 7th, 2006, 05:16 AM
I don't care where it is as much as when it is... I just wish there was an extra week between the semifinals and the SATURDAY of the championship game. Or mix it in with the bowls. Or something.

It's amazing to me that 16,000 can make it to Chattanooga on such short notice for a Friday game.

I agree. I think the championship game would do well during "Bowl Week."

monmouthhawk
December 7th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I know it's not FCS but what about South Bend? College football hall of fame, etc...

Maverick
December 7th, 2006, 07:19 AM
All of this is quite interesting in terms of where we want the game to be, but the real question is who wants to hold the game? The process for site selection requires cities to bid on hosting. So far, Chattanooga has been the city to step up and embrace the game. For that I am grateful and appreciative. But all of these other places you suggest have not bid on the game or shown enough interest to compete with Chattanooga. As the title of this thread mention there is no offense to Chatty but there are too many people whining here about where the games not being held. Unless some of you out there are the director of tourism or development at some of these cities the likelihood of change is not large. Until then, lets not bitch too much. We should thank and appreciate Chattanooga for what they have done and continue to do for the former I-AA championship now the D-I Football Championship.

SoCon48
December 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Friends, all this talk is nice but, like most discussion, it's also cheap. The reality is that the championship game isn't moving from Chattanooga anytime soon. There just aren't other cities interested in bidding on the game, certainly not to the extent of Chattanooga. At last count, Cedar Falls and SA were the only other cities even remotely interested in the game. There was minimal interest from Orlando but they didn't bid.

Charleston, Las Vegas, etc.- all great locations but it just isn't going to happen.

Until Chattanooga falls down and barring some major interest from another viable host city, the game will remain at Finley.

Last year's 20K plus crowd in a 10K stadium would have been a disaster.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM
No, because this type of game will not have any betting interest.. The NCAA needs to wake up and realize that people bet on college games no matter where they are and that's not going to change, legal or not, so there is no use in holding cities hostage because of it..

Besides, there are so many states that now have some type of wagering, be it lottery, horse racing, video poker, casinos, etc., it's just a part of today's economic environment..

I think there's a perception that if an event is played in Vegas it will be a bigger target for wagering. I don't know that I buy this (using that argument, UNLV football and basketball would be the most heavily bet on sports in the country).

It's very true that no matter where you are, you can place a bet on a college football game so long as you find a book that's betting your game. In fact, I will probably place a small (very small) wager on this year's game for fun (I'm gonna go with Mr. C's prediction and sue him if he's wrong :D )

Back to the original point, I think that the NCAA holds the above perception and would probably not allow the game to be held in Vegas.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Has Vegas even given any hints that they'd like to hold the Championship game? Have they made a previous bid that was turned down?

MplsBison
December 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Well I'm sure there'll be plenty of ASU fans who've already bought their tickets and then will be too proud not to go when ASU doesn't make it.

89Hen
December 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
If it was in Vegas I'd go every year.
Talk is cheap.

December 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Just say no to the gambling capital of the world.

89Hen
December 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM
IMO you need to have the game somewhere you could sellout. A half empty stadium sucks for atmosphere and TV.

89Hen
December 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Everybody makes such a big deal about having to possibly fly to the game or drive more than 8 hours, but that shouldn't be the main determining factory..

GRIZ Fans, How many did you bring to the title game 2 years ago? I doubt many drove?
I think you're VASTLY underestimating the importance of driveability. You can't use the Griz as an example as they sell almost twice as many season tickets as other teams put in the seats from week to week. They are remote and they are going to have to fly no matter where it is (except Vegas), and they will. You put it in a location where your average I-AA fan is going to have to fly and you'll lose 80-90% of the people that would otherwise drive. There are very few teams that would bring any kind of numbers to a location where they have to fly. You could count them on one hand.

December 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I'm driving 12 hours to Chatty again this year.

APPST '93
December 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Well I'm sure there'll be plenty of ASU fans who've already bought their tickets and then will be too proud not to go when ASU doesn't make it.

Wrong and wrong. :nono:

Make sure you pick against us in the Championship! That would secure the title for us.:thumbsup:

GtFllsGriz
December 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Chatty is a fine place to have the game. The stadium is excellant (now that they have a decent surface) and the warehouse tailgate party was great as well. The nightlife issue is a small one for most. Find that bar that you feel comfortable in, eat, drink, talk football, go to the Griz tailgate party, end of story.

However, $1000.00 + for the experience is a bit rough to navigate. The first time I went (95) we thought it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so it was worth the expense. Clearly that argument is gone! So, how do you manage to justify that expense as frequently as the Griz make the NC game? It is tough with one week's preperation and Christmas the next weekend.

But I will take that inconvenience and tough decision every year as long as the Griz are in the game. How do you put a price on that kind of experience?

THANK YOU to the City of Chatanooga for making the effort to make the experience a lasting memory for those of us fortunate to have had it.

GaSouthern
December 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Bring the game to Georgia Southern!
we had over 25K people show up!

* although we were playing in it that year ;)

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I am so glad you're on this board...you make me laugh everytime I read your posts. It's awesome...your adamant disdain for Appalachian makes me think that deep, deep down inside you really love the Mountaineers. You just can't help yourself and you don't want anyone to catch on...but, I'm on to you MLPS...you're not fooling me. Say it with me now...GO APPALACHIAN!

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM

All four of these I find to be good choices. All fairly centrally located and not enormous cities. Charlottesville would, by far, be my favorite.