PDA

View Full Version : If Jacksonville goes 11-0 with two D-II wins...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2015, 05:28 PM
... they would be undefeated in the PFL but wouldn't qualify for the autobid
... would have an awful SOS

But...

... they could have a win over a team in the playoff hunt (if Delaware beats a ranked team or three)
... they would have 9 Division I wins

About the only way I see them making the playoffs is:

... all 7-4 qualifiers don't have an FBS win and/or have one loss against a non Top 30 team
... Delaware has no more than one loss the rest of the way
... The Big Sky, CAA and MVFC play themselves out of a 4 at-large bid scenario

Basically, the chance is extremely slim. But the fact remains that 1) it's still a chance, 2) they'll need to be actively considered, despite their awful schedule, and 3) if they do go 11-0, shouldn't they really be the PFL's official representative? They'd by far be the most competitive PFL representative there would be.

clenz
October 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
No.

Not going to read whatever scenario your going to make up.

No

gotts
October 6th, 2015, 05:39 PM
No.

No

Hot takes, hot takes, hot takes!

DetroitFlyer
October 6th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I see two PFL teams in the playoffs this year!

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2015, 06:21 PM
No.

No

What he said.

superman7515
October 6th, 2015, 06:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WnDeP53.jpg

Scooter
October 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM
I have a brother who lives in San Diego who was excited that USD was finally going to get a shot at a title run. I told him the Montana game had 35-0 at half written all over it... I got a text at half that said "no Pioneer team should get an autobid...its like watching men playing against boys. sad that a team was left out to make room for this game." I agreed.

dbackjon
October 6th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I have a brother who lives in San Diego who was excited that USD was finally going to get a shot at a title run. I told him the Montana game had 35-0 at half written all over it... I got a text at half that said "no Pioneer team should get an autobid...its like watching men playing against boys. sad that a team was left out to make room for this game." I agreed.
Except a team wasn't left out to make room for the Pioneer League...

If anything, a team was added to offset the additional Auto-bid

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 06:38 PM
As a big fan of the Pioneer fan, Jacksonville should get in over any school started after 1934.

If they would have traded the D-II schools for Brown and Georgetown they would be the #1 seed

PAllen
October 6th, 2015, 06:46 PM
As a big fan of the Pioneer fan, Jacksonville should get in over any school started after 1934.

If they would have traded the D-II schools for Brown and Georgetown they would be the #1 seed

The #1 seed in what? Playoff bound sure, but certainly not as a seed unless they blow out most of their opponents.

centennial
October 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM

We should have no playoffs. Just declare Dayton the NC winners. They are so good, Ohio State would not win against them. The only team that can beat them is the Patriots or maybe the Broncos if they are lucky.

taper
October 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM
PFL shouldn't even get an autobid, if they get an at-large too the entire selection committee needs to be fired. If the conference wants to be in the playoffs they need to act like playoff teams. Their autobid in 2013 lost 35-0 and 2014 was 52-14, though that pair of touchdowns was in the last 6 minutes of the game while down 52-0.

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 06:53 PM
The #1 seed in what? Playoff bound sure, but certainly not as a seed unless they blow out most of their opponents.

The FCS playoffs.

#1 (if they traded the D2s for those schools) Jacksonville
#2 Harvard, if they participated, instead, Dayton
#3 PL Winner (they've been around like 200 years)
#4 who cares
#5 NDSU

- - - Updated - - -

We should have no playoffs. Just declare Dayton the NC winners. They are so good, Ohio State would not win against them. The only team that can beat them is the Patriots or maybe the Broncos if they are lucky.

This is the FCS, we prove it on the field, and by what year our school was started.

- - - Updated - - -

PFL shouldn't even get an autobid, if they get an at-large too the entire selection committee needs to be fired. If the conference wants to be in the playoffs they need to act like playoff teams. Their autobid in 2013 lost 35-0 and 2014 was 52-14, though that pair of touchdowns was in the last 6 minutes of the game while down 52-0.

Those schools were too new. Need a school that has been around over 100 years.

woffordgrad94
October 6th, 2015, 06:57 PM
The Pioneer Football League should be reclassified as D-3 football. They have no business playing for a championship against conferences like the MVFC, Colonial, Big Sky, Southland, and Southern, or even the Big South for that matter. The talent gap is just too wide and it just makes for bad football in the playoffs' first round.

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 07:00 PM
The Pioneer Football League should be reclassified as D-3 football. They have no business playing for a championship against conferences like the MVFC, Colonial, Big Sky, Southland, and Southern, or even the Big South for that matter. The talent gap is just too wide and it just makes for bad football in the playoffs' first round.

Drake beat the mighty Illinois State. Delaware fell to Jacksonville. Gotta do your research.

aceinthehole
October 6th, 2015, 07:02 PM
The FCS playoffs.

#1 (if they traded the D2s for those schools) Jacksonville
#2 Harvard, if they participated, instead, Dayton
#3 PL Winner (they've been around like 200 years)
#4 who cares
#5 NDSU

Funny, I like it. :p

Scooter
October 6th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Except a team wasn't left out to make room for the Pioneer League...

If anything, a team was added to offset the additional Auto-bid

regardless of how many teams were added to the playoffs, there were probably 15 teams who were left out of the playoffs that would have given Montana a better game than USD. USD would probably have finished dead last in the MVFC last season. The pioneer should not be FCS and shouldn't be rewarded for forming a conference comprised of the ****tiest teams you can possibly group together.

superman7515
October 6th, 2015, 07:12 PM
The pioneer should not be FCS...

True, but they aren't FCS by choice. The majority, if not all, would be all for going D3 if the NCAA dropped the Dayton Rule. But the NCAA can't punish them by not giving them access to the postseason in a division the NCAA is forcing them to compete in.

woffordgrad94
October 6th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Drake beat the mighty Illinois State. Delaware fell to Jacksonville. Gotta do your research.
Upsets will happen in the regular season occasionally. I get that. But I still bet that a Pioneer team will not get a win in the playoffs.

RootinFerDukes
October 6th, 2015, 07:22 PM
TLDR, but the answer is no. There should never be an at-large Pioneer League team. To be frank, there shouldn't be an auto-bid either.
It's like an at-large sun belt team making the BCS playoffs.

RootinFerDukes
October 6th, 2015, 07:27 PM

Please tell me you're joking. An undefeated PFL team shouldn't be anywhere near a top 8 seed. Maybe if we seed the top 24, then sure.

Catsfan90
October 6th, 2015, 07:32 PM

Since NDSU wasn't founded till 40 years after Dayton, how bad does it bother you that Dayton hasn't been to Frisco as much as NDSU??

clenz
October 6th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Rob....

I bow to you

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Since NDSU wasn't founded till 40 years after Dayton, how bad does it bother you that Dayton hasn't been to Frisco as much as NDSU??

It's fine, neither has Harvard, the bastion of FCS football.

superman7515
October 6th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Rob....

I bow to you

At least I'm not the only one amazed.

taper
October 6th, 2015, 08:26 PM
It's fine, neither has Harvard, the bastion of FCS football.

Yes, we must never forget their 1874 season. Finished 1-1 and declared themselves national champions. Nevermind the team they beat was Canadian.

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Yes, we must never forget their 1874 season. Finished 1-1 and declared themselves national champions. Nevermind the team they beat was Canadian.

Canadians are better in football and maple syrup.

The Yo Show
October 6th, 2015, 08:28 PM

Eh hard to say. I think the Patriots couldn't even pull it off if the equipment managers couldnt cheat and deflate the ball.

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Eh hard to say. I think the Patriots couldn't even pull it off if the equipment managers couldnt cheat and deflate the ball.

I'm glad to see that a fan of a fellow Ohio institution understands the might of the Flyers.

The Yo Show
October 6th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Hell, YSU had not ever beaten dayton in football until we played dayton again in 2013.

My old boss graduated from Dayton for his undergrad and YSU for grad school.
I told him about the game and how YSU had never beaten Dayton and he was like, "Nor shall YSU, all hail UD!"

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM
UD is the best. #Flyas4Lyfe

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2015, 09:23 PM
... they would be undefeated in the PFL but wouldn't qualify for the autobid
... would have an awful SOS

But...

... they could have a win over a team in the playoff hunt (if Delaware beats a ranked team or three)
... they would have 9 Division I wins

About the only way I see them making the playoffs is:

... all 7-4 qualifiers don't have an FBS win and/or have one loss against a non Top 30 team
... Delaware has no more than one loss the rest of the way
... The Big Sky, CAA and MVFC play themselves out of a 4 at-large bid scenario

Basically, the chance is extremely slim. But the fact remains that 1) it's still a chance, 2) they'll need to be actively considered, despite their awful schedule, and 3) if they do go 11-0, shouldn't they really be the PFL's official representative? They'd by far be the most competitive PFL representative there would be.

......DUH FINS.....AIN'T GOIN' DANCIN'.......xsmhx.....BROCK!

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/ ... s-football (http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-07-17/story/pioneer-league-punishes-ju-violations-football)

melloware13
October 6th, 2015, 09:30 PM
......DUH FINS.....AIN'T GOIN' DANCIN'.......xsmhx.....BROCK!

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/ ... s-football (http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-07-17/story/pioneer-league-punishes-ju-violations-football)

That's just for the Auto-Bid, they are eligible for an At Large, but I think it takes them slaughtering everyone and UD ending up 8-3 for them to have a chance

PantherRob82
October 6th, 2015, 09:43 PM
That's just for the Auto-Bid, they are eligible for an At Large, but I think it takes them slaughtering everyone and UD ending up 8-3 for them to have a chance

It says postseason ban, not ineligible for autobid. I tend to agree with Mr. Chicken.

gotts
October 6th, 2015, 11:19 PM
UD is the best. #Flyas4Lyfe

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/bob1519/awesome_thread.jpg

OhioHen
October 7th, 2015, 06:26 AM

Delaware at 8-3 would surely get the at-large bid ahead of an eligible Jacksonville at 11-0 with a victory by the Dolphins over the Hens.

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2015, 07:17 AM

That one cut me...cut me real deep

kalm
October 7th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Delaware at 8-3 would surely get the at-large bid ahead of an eligible Jacksonville at 11-0 with a victory by the Dolphins over the Hens.

Just like a 7-4 UNI, SUU, Cal Poly, PSU, etc should get the nod over an 8-3 Delaware.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2015, 08:36 AM

This here.

PFL should be D3.

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I dont see how an 8-3 Delaware would get in over an 11-0 Jacksonville. That just hurts my brain.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2015, 08:53 AM
An 8-3 Delaware would be 7-1 in the CAA with wins over JMU, W&M, and UNH so it's very likely they would get the CAA autobid thus making the point over who gets in between an 8-3 Delaware and an 11-0 Jacksonville moot.

Even if Delaware would finish 8-3 (highly unlikely) I would say an 11-0 Jacksonville (much more likely) wouldn't even be in serious consideration for an at large spot. They'd have to be absolutely destroying the teams on their schedule and they've yet to win any of their other 3 games, including a D2 game, by more than 4 points.

Model Citizen
October 7th, 2015, 08:59 AM
JU has been very, very bad. There will be no playoffs for them. Period.

PantherRob82
October 7th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I dont see how an 8-3 Delaware would get in over an 11-0 Jacksonville. That just hurts my brain.

Better wins.

PantherRob82
October 7th, 2015, 09:02 AM
JU has been very, very bad. There will be no playoffs for them. Period.

^this. It clearly says "postseason ban", not that they are just ineligible for the PFL autobid.

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2015, 09:04 AM
An 8-3 Delaware would be 7-1 in the CAA with wins over JMU, W&M, and UNH so it's very likely they would get the CAA autobid thus making the point over who gets in between an 8-3 Delaware and an 11-0 Jacksonville moot.

Even if Delaware would finish 8-3 (highly unlikely) I would say an 11-0 Jacksonville (much more likely) wouldn't even be in serious consideration for an at large spot. They'd have to be absolutely destroying the teams on their schedule and they've yet to win any of their other 3 games, including a D2 game, by more than 4 points.

http://replygif.net/i/214.gif

Pinnum
October 7th, 2015, 09:06 AM
The PFL is a football only conference. Basically all member schools are affiliate members. I have not read the by-laws, but I wouldn't be surprised if the conference could remove members for violating the rules for football. Yes, Jacksonville did not violate NCAA rules but they violated the PFL rules so I am not at all surprised that Jacksonville would volunteer (or accept) a blanket post season ban so that they can continue to play in the PFL and not have to go out and schedule all their games as an independent or quickly try to lobby another conference for associate status.

bison137
October 7th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Except that they would probably lose to Brown.

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Except that they would probably lose to Brown.

When was Brown established?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I'm sorry, exactly how can the PFL prevent Jacksonville from accepting a bid to the NCAA's playoffs?

The PFL certainly has control over their own autobid, and they certainly can prevent a member from getting that autobid, but they can't deny a member consideration from the FCS postseason as an at-large team, especially when said institution hasn't violated any NCAA rules.

Jacksonville might decline an invitation to the postseason, but that's on them, not the PFL. Much as if, say, Yale lobbied for an at-large bid to the playoffs. If they said we would accept a bid to the playoffs, the Ivy League couldn't prevent it from happening. Yale might piss off the Ivy League mightily, but they could still do it.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2015, 09:40 AM
When was Brown established?

1764 so yes Brown wins. Although Jacksonville cheats so...

And Georgetown was 1789 so they would beat Jacksonville also, but the cheating...

Nova09
October 7th, 2015, 10:29 AM
LFN, the real question in your scenario is which MVFC team has the PFL autobid lost to? If it's one of the top 9, then all good those teams are a treasured gift teaching us all the right way to play football. But if the bottom feeder they all beat up beat a team that got an autobid from Jacksonville's conference, how could anyone be expected to take Jacksonville seriously?

Model Citizen
October 7th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, exactly how can the PFL prevent Jacksonville from accepting a bid to the NCAA's playoffs?

You're right, they can't. Can't do it any more than the Ivy League can prevent Harvard from taking an at-large bid.

I would think Jacksonville could expect to get kicked out of the PFL if they took a playoff bid. On the other hand, Jacksonville might not care.

bison137
October 7th, 2015, 10:31 AM

They are DEFINITELY not eligible for an at-large bid. They are banned from all postseason play this year. That is a verified fact - no room for discussion. So what is the point of this thread?

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, they can't. Can't do it any more than the Ivy League can prevent Harvard from taking an at-large bid.

I would think Jacksonville could expect to get kicked out of the PFL if they took a playoff bid. On the other hand, Jacksonville might not care.

Jacksonville cares. They are on record that they are banned from all postseason play and they have accepted that.

Model Citizen
October 7th, 2015, 10:35 AM
They are also on record as giving partial scholarships to 34 players, something they will continue until those players no longer attend JU. So they have accepted that they will continue to break the league rules.

bison137
October 7th, 2015, 10:39 AM

The PFL certainly has control over their own autobid, and they certainly can prevent a member from getting that autobid, but they can't deny a member consideration from the FCS postseason as an at-large team, especially when said institution hasn't violated any NCAA rules.

Jacksonville might decline an invitation to the postseason, but that's on them, not the PFL. Much as if, say, Yale lobbied for an at-large bid to the playoffs. If they said we would accept a bid to the playoffs, the Ivy League couldn't prevent it from happening. Yale might piss off the Ivy League mightily, but they could still do it.

NCAA bylaws say: "An institution that holds membership in a member conference may not enter teams or individuals in an NCAA championship unless they are eligible for such competition under the rules of that conference."

So if Jacksonville had not already agree that they will not accept a bid - making the issue moot - then the question would be whether PFL rules allow them to be eligible for the tournament. That applies to at-large bids as well. I don't have time to research PFL bylaws/rules, but they would no doubt resolve the issue.

OhioHen
October 7th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Just like a 7-4 UNI, SUU, Cal Poly, PSU, etc should get the nod over an 8-3 Delaware.

Agreed. I don't believe the Hens SHOULD get in at 8-3 over 11-0 Jacksonville, but it's a reality. 7-4 UNI >> 8-3 UD. Others in your list, just barely but still yes.

Model Citizen
October 7th, 2015, 10:50 AM
137, I agree that it's probably moot. Not sure, however, that JU agreeing to anything is meaningful.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2015, 10:51 AM
NCAA bylaws say: "An institution that holds membership in a member conference may not enter teams or individuals in an NCAA championship unless they are eligible for such competition under the rules of that conference."

So if Jacksonville had not already agree that they will not accept a bid - making the issue moot - then the question would be whether PFL rules allow them to be eligible for the tournament. That applies to at-large bids as well. I don't have time to research PFL bylaws/rules, but they would no doubt resolve the issue.

When Fordham was disqualified from the Patriot League autobid for offering scholarships before the rest of the league, they were allowed to qualify for the playoffs as an at-large team and in fact did so in 2013. While they violated Patriot League rules on offering scholarships (technically, though the league was starting their transition to conventional scholarships at that time), Fordham violated no NCAA rules and thus were invited by the playoff subcommittee as an at-large team in 2013.

Similarly, Jacksonville has violated no NCAA rules, just the rules of the conference. Also notably, this is a football-only construct. If Jacksonville were "kicked out" of the PFL over this, they'd still be full members of the A-Sun, would keep getting their shares in the NCAA basketball tournament, etc.

PantherRob82
October 7th, 2015, 11:04 AM

They agreed to it. Obviously they don't have to do that, but they said they would.

bison137
October 7th, 2015, 12:11 PM
When Fordham was disqualified from the Patriot League autobid for offering scholarships before the rest of the league, they were allowed to qualify for the playoffs as an at-large team and in fact did so in 2013. While they violated Patriot League rules on offering scholarships (technically, though the league was starting their transition to conventional scholarships at that time), Fordham violated no NCAA rules and thus were invited by the playoff subcommittee as an at-large team in 2013.

Similarly, Jacksonville has violated no NCAA rules, just the rules of the conference. Also notably, this is a football-only construct. If Jacksonville were "kicked out" of the PFL over this, they'd still be full members of the A-Sun, would keep getting their shares in the NCAA basketball tournament, etc.

the difference is that the PL agreed that Fordham could still get an at-large bid, so they were eligible under league rules. If Jacksonville is not allowed in the playoffs under PFL rules, then they cannot unilaterally decide to go anyway - per NCAA rules.

Still, it is all moot since Jacksonville accepted the ban and it is too late to appeal.

PantherRob82
October 7th, 2015, 01:02 PM
the difference is that the PL agreed that Fordham could still get an at-large bid, so they were eligible under league rules. If Jacksonville is not allowed in the playoffs under PFL rules, then they cannot unilaterally decide to go anyway - per NCAA rules.

Still, it is all moot since Jacksonville accepted the ban and it is too late to appeal.

It can't be too late to appeal since there is no NCAA ban in place. They could accept a bid and deal with the consequences. I'm sure they won't through.

Model Citizen
October 7th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Without knowing who is on the selection committee, I can't imagine who would want JU in. It certainly wouldn't be anyone from a rival PFL school.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2015, 01:38 PM

This makes no sense. How do league rules trump NCAA rules for the NCAA's championship?

My understanding is the only thing the leagues have "control" over is the autobid, not eligibility for NCAA championships.

Back in 2012, the announcement for Fordham was done like this:

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/archive/fordham-remains-ineligible-for-pl-championship-playoff-bid__o_t__t_1965.html

Fordham will remain as an associate member of the Patriot League for football, which made the decision to offer athletic merit aid for the sport of football beginning with the class entering school in the fall of 2013, but will not be eligible for the Patriot League championship in 2012. Fordham's games against League members will not count towards the standings.

How does this impact Fordham’s status with the League, both short-term and long-term?
During this transition period, Fordham has continued to compete as a member of Patriot League football. Later this spring, a decision will be made regarding when they again will become eligible for the League championship and NCAA automatic qualifier slot. Fordham began offering athletic merit aid to football student-athletes with the class entering in the fall of 2010 and currently has two classes receiving athletic merit aid.

Emphasis added that the only matter on which the Patriot League had jurisdiction over Fordham's playoff eligibility was in regards to its own championship and the autobid.

Silenoz
October 7th, 2015, 02:02 PM

That's our only playoff win in like a million years too, so...

bison137
October 7th, 2015, 03:25 PM
It can't be too late to appeal since there is no NCAA ban in place. They could accept a bid and deal with the consequences. I'm sure they won't through.

There is a league ban in place. NCAA rules don't allow an appeal of that after 9/15 for purposes of this year's tournament.

bison137
October 7th, 2015, 03:33 PM
This makes no sense. How do league rules trump NCAA rules for the NCAA's championship?

My understanding is the only thing the leagues have "control" over is the autobid, not eligibility for NCAA championships.

Back in 2012, the announcement for Fordham was done like this:

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/archive/fordham-remains-ineligible-for-pl-championship-playoff-bid__o_t__t_1965.html

Emphasis added that the only matter on which the Patriot League had jurisdiction over Fordham's playoff eligibility was in regards to its own championship and the autobid.

this is getting repetitive BUT the NCAA's own bylaws say that the league's rules prevail. The league rules don't "trump" those of the NCAA - but the NCAA specifically passes on the decision to the league. The league can ban a team from an at-large bid because the NCAA says they can.

As for the PL release, nowhere does it say or imply that the PL doesn't have jurisdiction over their playoff eligibility. The league specifically decided to allow them to still be eligible for an at-large bid. BUT it didn't have to do that. Of course Fordham would likely have bolted the league - that was part of the decision.

Pinnum
October 9th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Just to put it all to bed. The information below is copied from this year's NCAA Manual and NCAA Football Championship Manual.

31.2 Eligibility for Championships.
31.2.1 Institutional Eligibility.
To be eligible to enter teams or individual student-athletes in NCAA championships,
an institution shall recognize the sport involved as a varsity intercollegiate sport (see Bylaw 17.02.17) and shall meet the institutional requirements set forth in Bylaw 18.4.2 applicable to the division in which the institution is a member or for which it is petitioning for eligibility in a sport. An institution that holds membership in a member conference may not enter teams or individuals in an NCAA championship unless they are eligible for such competition under the rules of that conference [see Bylaw 18.4.2.1-(a)].

Pioneer Football League (10/*11)
Butler University
Campbell University
Davidson College
University of Dayton
Drake University
Jacksonville University (not eligible in 2015)
Marist College
Morehead State University
University of San Diego
Stetson University
Valparaiso University

AQ Conference
*Please note that first figure in parentheses lists the number of eligible teams in the conference for the 2015 championship.

Pinnum
October 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM

The NCAA's structure is such that the schools report to their conferences and the conferences report to the NCAA. The conferences are kind of like franchises. Independents have a unique relationship. Remember, it is this structure that lead to the death of the Yankee Conference when the NCAA started treating single sport conferences more like independents.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Just to put it all to bed. The information below is copied from this year's NCAA Manual and NCAA Football Championship Manual.

31.2 Eligibility for Championships.
31.2.1 Institutional Eligibility.
To be eligible to enter teams or individual student-athletes in NCAA championships,
an institution shall recognize the sport involved as a varsity intercollegiate sport (see Bylaw 17.02.17) and shall meet the institutional requirements set forth in Bylaw 18.4.2 applicable to the division in which the institution is a member or for which it is petitioning for eligibility in a sport. An institution that holds membership in a member conference may not enter teams or individuals in an NCAA championship unless they are eligible for such competition under the rules of that conference [see Bylaw 18.4.2.1-(a)].

But then how was Fordham able to be allowed to compete in the FCS playoffs in 2013? They were ineligible for the Patriot League championship and their games did not count towards the Patriot League standings. According to this rule it looks like they should not have been admitted. Fordham was not "eligible" for Patriot League competition. Yet they still were invited.

Did the rule change recently?

Pinnum
October 9th, 2015, 02:01 PM
But then how was Fordham able to be allowed to compete in the FCS playoffs in 2013? They were ineligible for the Patriot League championship and their games did not count towards the Patriot League standings. According to this rule it looks like they should not have been admitted. Fordham was not "eligible" for Patriot League competition. Yet they still were invited.

Did the rule change recently?

No. It was a rule in 2012. My understanding, and I thought I posted it on here back in the spring when the topic came up, was that the Patriot League technically suspended Fordham's membership in the conference but kept the scheduling agreement in place. Basically, they were not a member of the conference and were treated as an independent program by the NCAA but they were scheduled into the Patriot League schedule and used Patriot League resources. It is similar to Notre Dame which is recognized as an independent but uses ACC officials and infrastructure as well as having an ACC scheduling agreement in place.

I believe Fordham had a lot of communication with the other member schools leading up to it so it wasn't a surprise as half the Presidents in the league wanted to move to scholarships along with Fordham. It is a very different situation with the PFL.

PantherRob82
October 9th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Dayton will beat them anyway
#DivebombTheDolphins

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I don't think this URI/Delaware score is helping Jacksonville one bit