PDA

View Full Version : NH Union Leader Columnist Shares Opinion Of A Lot Of AGS Folks

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 11:55 PM
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Joe+Sullivan%3a+No+class+at+ UMass&articleId=358bb79c-e228-47b3-9596-13b950d18245

Proud Griz Man
December 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM
No way!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!
:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

umassfan
December 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I got one word for that article... WHATEVER...

he must not go to many UNH hockey games then...

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Or he does and witnessed UMass beat them in Durham this year...on top of beating their football team twice in one season.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I think he figured out what a lot of AGS members already knew. It's too bad that the UMass fans didn't spend more energy on enjoying a great game and less on such foul behavior.

Tod
December 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I'd love to knock out the teeth of that kid who got so ugly with the guy. : smh : : smh : : smh :

Mr. C
December 5th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I'd love to knock out the teeth of that kid who got so ugly with the guy. : smh : : smh : : smh :
Who knows, Tod. If you are at Washington-Grizzly Stadium this Friday, you might have that chance.

SpreadtheRed
December 5th, 2006, 01:19 AM

agreed.

Its one thing to get into the game and get a bit riled up, but its another to just be a jerk for no reason to a complete stranger. Im sure that kid felt like a real "big guy" talking smack to an older man. Im sure his friends were really impressed. If I were sitting with a jerk like that, I'd smack him myself for making everyone look bad. Too bad UMAss students dont feel the same way most of us feel. : smh :

And another thing, why would students tear down the goalposts for a win in a quarterfinal game? (I know they didnt [or so I think] but why would that threat even be there?) You havent won crap yet. You won a game you were suppose to win. Big whoop.

DuckDuckGriz
December 5th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I got one word for that article... WHATEVER...

http://www.matusic.com/valley_girl.gif

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Campus cultures that create this kind of behavior have to be a concern for schools these days. JMU took action this year to quell obscene cheers from their student section to good effect, but they have the same issues with widespread aggressive and boorish behavior.

The UMass kid was right about one thing....the girls are frequently no better than the guys. Of the half dozen incidents I witnessed at JMU this year, two involved girls with mouths like street-walkers.:nonono2:

Old Cage
December 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM
As one who approaches the age of the Useless Leader writer, I can state that the most frightened I have been while wearing my UMass gear was while walking to my car after a hockey game at UNH. The level of rudeness and vulgarity was world class. And that was after a game won by UNH.

The campus problem is universal and getting worse.

In the particular case at UMass on Saturday, if the television dollars did not rule, the game would have been played at noon and the problem would have been a small fraction of what actually occured. Starting a game later in cold weather is just dumb.

bluehenbillk
December 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
That article was a waste of space, which I guess doesn't cost much in New Hampshire. When you goto another teams place, especially for a playoff game you expect their fans to say something, it's part of the day. The writer doesn't get out much IMO.

mlbowl
December 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I think he figured out what a lot of AGS members already knew. It's too bad that the UMass fans didn't spend more energy on enjoying a great game and less on such foul behavior.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2006, 07:26 AM
My only issue is that sometimes fans, and not just at UMass get so vulgar you can't take your kids to a game. I went to the Islander vs Ranger game the other night and had to settle some guy down becuase of his vulgarity and children being around. Funny how most of them will shut up if you offer to knock their teeth out. Bottom line, sporting events are getting ugly on all levels, very sad indeed.

CSUBUCDAD
December 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM
My experience is that that gentlemen refers to a growing problem that is far more widespread than just at UMASS or UNH or any other one place. I go to alot of football games every year, both high school and college and without fail, I see examples of what that gentlemen was refering to. Seems that young folks these days just don't have one bit of respect for common decency. I was walking back to my car from a high school game a couple of years ago, wife in tow and there were three 15-16 year old girls walking behind us. The language they were using was so offensive I finally turned around and asked them if they actuall ate with those mouths?
When you have a guy like me who spent 20 years around other foul mouthed sailors and the language of a 15 year old girl is offensive, you know it is getting bad.
I think all us older guys and girls want is for most of the insanity to crank down a notch or two. A little ribbing here and there is fine, but when you get to the level that gentleman was refering to, regardless of where it is or who is doing it, you have crossed the line of acceptable public behavior.

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I've been to UMass on many occasions and never had or saw a problem... but maybe times have changed.

Old Cage
December 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
"Profanity at UNH Mirrors Our Culture"

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/11122006/opinionletters-12sun-edit-unhhockey.html

This from a close-in UNH paper. Something sbout two sides to every coin.

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately this is a problem on almost every large campus. Last season, the UMass administration asked the basketball pep band to stop playing "Rock and Roll Part Two" because the students were using it for an obscene chant.

grizfan86
December 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM
This stuff happens everywhere. At the Griz game last weekend there was a guy sitting by us who acutally booed the chain gang, was saying all kinds of non-sensical things about Illinois, and used every foul word I have ever heard, and a few I don't think I've ever heard. And this clown wasn't a student, and had his kids sitting next to him. The problem I have is when other fans don't help shut the guy up. Our section got all over this guy, and he eventually left. Felt sorry for his kids.

Go...gate
December 5th, 2006, 11:21 AM
My only issue is that sometimes fans, and not just at UMass get so vulgar you can't take your kids to a game. I went to the Islander vs Ranger game the other night and had to settle some guy down becuase of his vulgarity and children being around. Funny how most of them will shut up if you offer to knock their teeth out. Bottom line, sporting events are getting ugly on all levels, very sad indeed.

Agreed. No reason to dump on UMass. All the schools have some strain of this and a late start - which, on a cold day, gives everybody a chance to ingest more anti-freeze - only exacerbates things.

Pard4Life
December 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Interesting... it wasn't that bad when I went there to see them play the Pards, but I did get the feeling it wasn't exactly a friendly place...

..and a crappy stadium to boot.

UNH_ORACLE
December 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM
UMASS Alum rips UMASS Fans

http://media.www.dailycollegian.com/media/storage/paper874/news/2006/12/05/EditorialOpinion/Fans-Representing.zoo.Mass-2521327.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dailycollegian.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

umassfan
December 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I find it funny because the guy who writes the first piece mentiones how he is a Pats and Sox fan. Doesnt he realize those students are Sox and Pat fans as well. Why not stop cheering for them as well because our students are fans of his beloved Pats and Sox.:rolleyes:

MinuteFan
December 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I am a UMass season ticket holder and I sit on the visitors side every game (better seats, sunnier and warmer than home side). I have rarely had a problem being surrounded by visiting fans, but this week vs. UNH was an exception. I had about a half dozen drunk UNH students behind me, swearing constantly in the presence of some little kids and yelling through a megaphone. I eventually told them to shut up or they would be leaving. It helped a little, but not much. The point is that no one school has a monopoly on drunk obnoxious 20 year olds....they exist everywhere. My experience has been that adult alumin are generally good sports and don't mind you rooting for your team. Some (not all or even most) students get boozed up and a little too full of themselves.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Joe+Sullivan%3a+No+class+at+ UMass&articleId=358bb79c-e228-47b3-9596-13b950d18245

I would completely understand and have some semblance of respect for Sullivan if he had kept it consistant. He didn't. I'm all for a UNH writer/fan rooting against UMass next week. Personally, I tend to pull for the team that BEAT my team (justifying the loss and "losing to the team of destiny"). But I understand wanting the team that beat you to lose so that those fans don't get to celebrate the ultimate victory while you sit at home.

My problem with him is that he prefaces the article with all these scenarios about how he would pull for any New England team in these other sports when his team loses. His opinion and the facts he mentions based on his experience are why New England sports fans are just the worst. The students at UMass are the same people who come summertime, are attending many Red Sox games. Most of the UMass student body is from eastern Massachusetts. When the people are the same, the experience is similar. He can try to seperate the experiences all he wants and say that UMass is such an exception to the rule that he feels the way he does. But in the end, it's the same people. If you hate the UMass fans, then be clear and admit that you hate the Red Sox fans at the games each summer: they are the same people and the same mentality.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Glad you posted that article as well Oracle because I was going to if only to show that it isn't just NH sour grapes.

I'll say it again. UNH is not immune to the same problem, but that doesn't condone the behavior demonstrated Saturday.

In response to whoever said that you have to expect some of this interaction when going to a playoff game, I'm going to disagree. No behavior of this type was experienced at Hampton the prior week! Very far from it!! Nor did I witness anything remotely close to Saturday during my visit to Statesboro in 2004. And from everybody I've talked to, no such incidents occurred in Missoula in 2004. And while there were incidents in Durham last year with UNI fans, no way were they on the scale of what I observed and heard about Saturday in Amherst.

Maybe a little good natured hecking is to be expected, but really intense, obscentity laced barrages just because you walk by wearing gear from the opposing team, no!! There was absolutely nothing good natured about the verbal barrages I experienced Saturday. And I'm a 56 year old man who was with three others also in their 50's. Hardly a threat to anybody!

I go to a lot of games as a visitor. I wear UNH gear. I sit with UNH fans and cheer for my team. I don't antagonize the home team fans. I don't do anything negative toward the home team. JMHO, but that behavior doesn't warrant obscenity laced verbal abuse from home fans.

I'm willing to acknowledge that UNH has a problem and will attempt to do something about it. But frankly you UMass folks aren't in touch with reality if you don't see a problem. Did any of you see how many students were walking from campus to the tailgate area with 18 and 30 packs of beer? Sometimes multiple students within the same group! Did you walk past the student tailgate area northest of the stadium? I did and felt like I was walking through a drunken mob that could erupt at any time. Did any of you walk past this same tailgate area after the game? The amount of bottles, cans and other refuse was mind boggling!

BTW, Joe Sullivan is a pretty well respected journalist within New England circles. At this point he's retired and doesn't write columns on any set schedule. I'm guessing he had to feel pretty strongly on the subject to write the column.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I agree with Uncle Buck here - it's not just a UMass thing, the same problem can be found very likley at any school or any pro venue throughout the country. People are just less civil than they were before and I'm not even that old so it's not an old person versus kid thing. What used to be relegated to the upper reaches at a Philadelphia Eagles game or the rafters at a New York Rangers game is now widespread and, sadly, accepted or even encouraged. Heck, the Cleveland Browns fans pelted officials as the left the field with beer bottles after a bad call and the Browns owner got on the air, not to criticize them, but to praise them for their support of the team. There are certainly places now, that I have kids, that I just wouldn't take them to because of the language and behavior - heck, when places like UMass and JMU start to look like a Univ of Maryland basketball game you have to be worried.

PapaBear
December 5th, 2006, 12:21 PM
At the UMass-Maine game in Amherst this year, my wife and I walked a good half mile to the stadium from our parking lot -- through and past several dozen UMass tailgate parties -- wearing all sorts of Black Bear logos.

I heard lots of boos and catcalls (which I returned just as enthusiastically), but not a single swear word.

As soon as we passed, the kids went back to their drinking and eating.

Not trying to discredit the guy's experience, just his blanket criticism of UMass fans. There's good and bad all over.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I am a UMass season ticket holder and I sit on the visitors side every game (better seats, sunnier and warmer than home side). I have rarely had a problem being surrounded by visiting fans, but this week vs. UNH was an exception. I had about a half dozen drunk UNH students behind me, swearing constantly in the presence of some little kids and yelling through a megaphone. I eventually told them to shut up or they would be leaving. It helped a little, but not much. The point is that no one school has a monopoly on drunk obnoxious 20 year olds....they exist everywhere. My experience has been that adult alumin are generally good sports and don't mind you rooting for your team. Some (not all or even most) students get boozed up and a little too full of themselves.

MinuteFan,

I don't doubt for a minute that what you decribed occurred. I'm a realist and I know that a rivalry as heated as UMass-UNH is going to have a few incidents. I think what really floored me Saturday was the absolute sheer volume of drunk obnoxious 20 year olds. And their propensity for dropping f-bombs on innocent bystanders.

My only reason for even getting involved with these discussions is an attempt to raise awareness and hopefully begin a process of behavior modification. It sure took a lot of enjoyable away from what otherwise was an incredible college football experience in New England.

psc2445
December 5th, 2006, 12:33 PM
i get plenty drunk before games and get involved in good natured ribbing, i never swear to an opposing fan and like for them to give it back to me too. i am all for schools having more security or making them inforce more rules involving obscenties. we at ASU need to make examples of some of these people(students, alum and fans alike) and throw their ass out of the stadium if they get out of line(without warning: scare tactics work)

AndrewFU21
December 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
UMass definitely isn't unique in this regard. My trip to Boone was almost identical in terms of treatment from opposing fans, although strangely it wasn't as much students as older fans/alums. Now I'm not one to get offended by foul language, and I think you kind of have to expect it when you wear your school colors on the road, but I would be pretty embarrassed if I saw that type of thing happening at FU.

saint0917
December 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I think he figured out what a lot of AGS members already knew.

And what did he figure out Mr.C?? You so-called writers seem to think this is only a problem at Umass. Ever been to a Red Sox-Yankee game, Bruins-Canadiens game, not the nicest people in the world. Your about as clueless as the other anti-Umass fans out there. Like I said before, the double standard line forms to the right. : smh : :rolleyes:

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM
And what did he figure out Mr.C?? You so-called writers seem to think this is only a problem at Umass. Ever been to a Red Sox-Yankee game, Bruins-Canadiens game, not the nicest people in the world. Your about as clueless as the other anti-Umass fans out there. Like I said before, the double standard line forms to the right. : smh : :rolleyes:

Lets see......UMass......Red Sox.....Bruins......

Anybody else notice anything in common there? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

saint0917
December 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Lets see......UMass......Red Sox.....Bruins......

Anybody else notice anything in common there? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I'm a Canadiens fan :D

RadMann
December 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Public intoxication should not be permitted at sporting events. Vocal, obscenity yelling drunks should be thrown out of the stadium. An obnoxious few can ruin the gameday experience for the majority of fans... Almost all schools have at least some of these types...

MinuteFan
December 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM
The main problem last Saturday is that this unfortunately is the inevitable result of a large number of "fans" showing up for a big game when they have never been to one before. As a season ticket holder, I am accustomed to crowds of 10-12 thousand for a UMass game. These are the real fans who show up to see the games most every week. Now we find ourselves in a big playoff game with our big rival from the neighboring state. So the local papers and radio stations implore the students to come out to support their team. UNH had 2,000 tickets and asked everyone to wear white, stick together, etc. Counting those who just satyed in the parking lot and drank and never went into the game, we probably had an extra 10,000 people from a normal Saturday. Any real fans of either school were going to the game anyway. But now it is an "event" and a lot of kids from both schools use it as an excuse to get tanked and obnoxious. They have no interest in a football game.
The game was at Amherst, so most of these buffoons were UMass students. If the game was in Durham, believe me it would not have been much different. I wasn't thrilled with the bandwagon "fans" clogging up the parking lot and throwing trash all around either, especially since many of them never saw the game. Tailgating has been banned or curtailed a couple of times in my tenure of going to UMass games precisely because of this crap. It sucks that these bandwagon fans ruin it for those who enjoy going to the games all year, but welcome to the real world.
UMass has a great team this year, a fabulous marching band, and a lot of great fans and alumni. If someone wants to paint every one of us with the broad brush and cheer for Montana, go ahead. I plan on being in Missoula to support my team and I look forward to a great game and having some good times with the Griz fans. That's how the majority of real UMass fans act.

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 01:34 PM
What he said!!!!

YoUDeeMan
December 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM
There is something seriously wrong when folks defend their behavior (or the behavior of their fans) by saying, "Other people do it!"

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM
There is something seriously wrong when folks defend their behavior (or the behavior of their fans) by saying, "Other people do it!"

It's not defending it, it's being realistic. The behavior happens everywhere at some point or another, there is no point in making it seem like it's just UMass.

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I agree. It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere. The point is, there's a huge problem with alcohol abuse on most of these campuses that has to be dealt with as a societal problem.

SpreadtheRed
December 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I agree. It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere. The point is, there's a huge problem with alcohol abuse on most of these campuses that has to be dealt with as a societal problem.

YEAH THATS RIGHT! Blame society!!!! :rolleyes:

I Blame the Parents!! :D

Joking aside though, lets just say that other "Home Fans" should keep these people in check and make the environment enjoyable for everyone in attendance. I know its hard sometimes, but youd be surprised how people react when a group of fans gang up on them for being idiots.

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Does anybody's school sell alcohol at the game? UM doesnt. Technically no alcohol is allowed in the stadium either. though i wont be the first to tell you that doesnt mean it doesnt make it in.

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
The damage is done before the game.

Umass74
December 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM

There is something seriously wrong when fans of programs with a long history of behavior problems condemn other programs -----while ignoring their own problems.

The level of hypocrisy in some of these posts is breathtaking.

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM
All other things aside, he really ought to ditch that hat if he wants to be taken seriously.

WSBE
December 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I took a few days off from AGS & just returned after I read the Union Leader article to see if it was posted. To see this much feedback on what happened/didn't happen on Saturday is reassuring (& I think says a lot about the self governing potential of AGS as it relates to the great thing that we have in the IAA CS football experience)

I was so upset at the outcome of the game (& the 4th-1 play call); I decided not to publish my experience because I thought it would sound like sour grapes. Now that I see others experienced the same...I will. UMASS fans inside the stadium were definitely idiots & antagonists but I will chalk that up to the intesity of the rivalry. So let me explain a 100% truthful sampling of what I saw outside & let you be the judge if this happens everywhere, is “no big deal," & should be acceptable.

Some observations from my experience at UMASS Saturday: (I was with several friends & a couple children): No bathrooms or portapotties that I saw outside the stadium. 20 yards from our car, 2 girls on the edge of the woods, one with pants down to her ankles & the other assisting the other; going to the bathroom (we think). No garbage cans anywhere. Trees in the parking lot area with empty beer cans on every limb. A party scene on both sides of the street that was unbelievable…it was lawless…like a wild spring break scene multiplied by 5. On our way into the game, we actually saw students carrying around & doing beer funnels in the street! When we returned to our parking spot after the game...my wife's portable wood table was maliciously broken in many pieces (I haven't told her yet), 2 coolers stolen & other evidence was similar to bears getting into your camp site!

Now – I like to party but this was he most bizarre, out of control, barbaric scene I have ever experienced at a game – & we were on the fringe of the scene!

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Not to excuse the behavior of our students, but check out what goes on in the woods behind the visitor's bleachers at Cowell Stadium when there's a big crowd. And it's not just UMass people.

Listen, I agree UMass needs to do a better job of policing student tailgating. My experience is UNH has pretty strong restrictions on tailgating, and maybe that's a good thing, but it's a problem all colleges need to address.

UNHWildCats
December 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM
my friend has a funny take on UMass fans.

u dont see gay boys act that way...reason? they have sex, all these obnoxious sports yahoo behavior is really just pent up horniness misdurected...if they got sex more often...they be less crazy

NC Aggie
December 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
That article was a waste of space, which I guess doesn't cost much in New Hampshire. When you goto another teams place, especially for a playoff game you expect their fans to say something, it's part of the day. The writer doesn't get out much IMO.

This is why that sort of behaviour goes on.....too many tolerate it.

mainejeff
December 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned, both schools are cut from the same mold. Both have a ton of spoiled suburban Boston kids that couldn't get into BC.

WSBE
December 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
hilarious

Wildcat Country
December 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM
As far as I'm concerned, both schools are cut from the same mold. Both have a ton of spoiled suburban Boston kids that couldn't get into BC.

Could you be any more stereotypical?

mainejeff
December 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM

Could I be anymore brutally honest?

HLecter
December 6th, 2006, 12:06 AM
My experience is that that gentlemen refers to a growing problem that is far more widespread than just at UMASS or UNH or any other one place. I go to alot of football games every year, both high school and college and without fail, I see examples of what that gentlemen was refering to. Seems that young folks these days just don't have one bit of respect for common decency. I was walking back to my car from a high school game a couple of years ago, wife in tow and there were three 15-16 year old girls walking behind us. The language they were using was so offensive I finally turned around and asked them if they actuall ate with those mouths?
When you have a guy like me who spent 20 years around other foul mouthed sailors and the language of a 15 year old girl is offensive, you know it is getting bad.
I think all us older guys and girls want is for most of the insanity to crank down a notch or two. A little ribbing here and there is fine, but when you get to the level that gentleman was refering to, regardless of where it is or who is doing it, you have crossed the line of acceptable public behavior.

:thumbsup: :bow: :hurray: :thumbsup: :bow: :hurray:
Excellent post,,,I was just scanning thru this thread and decided to post and you hit 95% of what I wanted to say.

I will just add that these days people are way too accepting of this behaviour, or make excuses for it, or slough it off. Condemn it, contact a policeman, the athletic dept by email or the administration. They start getting enough calls, something will be done.

Great Post.

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I think they should send this reporter to a Philadelphia Eagles home game & then evaluate what he thought of the UMass students.....

Maroon&White
December 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Could I be anymore brutally honest?

No.

mainejeff
December 6th, 2006, 09:35 AM
No.

Yes.

Gimme a break. Both schools have a huge base of kids from suburban Boston. And many are BC rejects.

OxSoxUNH05
December 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry for those kids who tried to get into BC. I had a good time at the game. No real big problems with UMass. Except at Cowell we don't pave the tailgating area with beer cans.xlolx

Maroon&White
December 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Yes.

Gimme a break. Both schools have a huge base of kids from suburban Boston. And many are BC rejects.

I was actually agreeing with you.

rcny46
December 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM

It was not only stereotypical,but also ridiculous as well.BTW,I have been to a lot of college sporting events in my 60 years,and I am a season ticket holder for UNH hockey,and what I observed on saturday was the worst fan (99% student variety I imagine) behavior/comportment I have seen,all the excuses and justification notwithstanding.I'm not engaging in sour grapes;if I saw that same situation at UNH,I would be the first to decry it.

henfan
December 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM

This issue isn't abuse of alcohol but abuse of common decency. Using alcohol, emotions tweaked by a rivalry, or any other excuse to explain boorish behavior is simply ridiculous.

Instead (or maybe along with) seminars on alcohol abuse, perhaps college campuses should begin instructing students on proper behavior at public events. As if mom and dad shouldn't have already done that years before...

Hey, you brake the law and it becomes the responsibility of stadium security/police to eject your behind and toss you in jail. So while this abuse was going on, where was UMass security and police?

DrG
December 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM
This issue isn't abuse of alcohol but abuse of common decency. Using alcohol, emotions tweaked by a rivalry, or any other excuse to explain boorish behavior is simply ridiculous.

Instead (or maybe along with) seminars on alcohol abuse, perhaps college campuses should begin instructing students on proper behavior at public events. As if mom and dad shouldn't have already done that years before...

Hey, you brake the law and it becomes the responsibility of stadium security/police to eject your behind and toss you in jail. So while this abuse was going on, where was UMass security and police?
I didn't see any of this (my seats were on the home side), so I have no personal knowledge of any of these problems. Of course, if anybody was acting abusive and physically threatening, they should have been ejected and/or arrested. Maybe UMass needs to put some additional restrictions on student tailgating (e.g. a two-hour limit, ID checks, etc.), but I'd hate to see the actions of a minority of idiots spoil our attempts to improve our game-day atmosphere. Let me make myself clear: I'm not making excuses for anything that may have gone on last Saturday (if I'm to believe some of the reports here). But it's a problem that extends well beyond our campus. As for civility lessons, I'm all for that ... except that I would hope those lessons have been taught by the time a kid enrolls in college.

And that's my last word on this topic, because I think it has about run its course.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
The actions of the students (I'm guessing) arround me was way over the top. As bad as I've ever been arround at any event.

One thing that was touched on before it was obvious that these kids for the most part didn't usually attend games.

Now I enjoy tailgating and drinking beer as much as the next guy.(Or more)
Sadly some people just can't handle it. Or have no idea how to act when they've had a few.

I've referred to the tail gate area in Durham as a "police state" in other threads. Perhaps thats the only way to control such behavior.

The fact that there is no student section at UMass may have magnified the situation. End Zone seats like at Deleware or UNH now has would help seperate the college kids from people who maybe offended by that type of behavior. It is, after all, their school. They just need to learn how to act while drinking...they have their first office christmas party for that.

UNH_ORACLE
December 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Another article

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UMass+fans+get+e-mail+tongue-lashing&articleId=e7331dfe-936b-4a19-a255-8669f81238eb

KAUMASS
December 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Figures this thread was started by a UNH fan..we have apoligized for some drunk students..can we beat this dead horse anymore?, This thing is way out of proportion. By the way, UNH students were so respectful and acted like angels to UNI players and fans last year. Yeah right!! To quote Dr. Evil in Austin Powers, "can I get a freak'n break here?". UNH has a great team and lost. Some UMass fans were rowdy, and should have been tossed. That about sums it up. After seeing this in alot of threads, I think the UNH fans are just whining because the great Ricky Santos and David Ball were sent home packing. UNH's students sit in the end zones at their so called Cowell stadium?...Give me a break, get a real stadium. What does it sit 500 between the end zone and visitors side? Am I missing anything else?

chiapet9
December 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Campus cultures that create this kind of behavior have to be a concern for schools these days. JMU took action this year to quell obscene cheers from their student section to good effect, but they have the same issues with widespread aggressive and boorish behavior.

The UMass kid was right about one thing....the girls are frequently no better than the guys. Of the half dozen incidents I witnessed at JMU this year, two involved girls with mouths like street-walkers.:nonono2:

and i would dare to say that a good majority of those ladies with the foul mouths are from....UP NORTH! the girls i knew at JMU with the worst mouths were from New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York...

and you're right about JMU trying to change the atmosphere and sportsmanship of students and alumni alike. there's a sort of "campaign" to promote good sportsmanship.
http://www.jmusports.com/DukesRepresent.asp
i'd love to see it work.....:eyebrow:

chiapet9
December 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I took a few days off from AGS & just returned after I read the Union Leader article to see if it was posted. To see this much feedback on what happened/didn't happen on Saturday is reassuring (& I think says a lot about the self governing potential of AGS as it relates to the great thing that we have in the IAA CS football experience)

I was so upset at the outcome of the game (& the 4th-1 play call); I decided not to publish my experience because I thought it would sound like sour grapes. Now that I see others experienced the same...I will. UMASS fans inside the stadium were definitely idiots & antagonists but I will chalk that up to the intesity of the rivalry. So let me explain a 100% truthful sampling of what I saw outside & let you be the judge if this happens everywhere, is “no big deal," & should be acceptable.

Some observations from my experience at UMASS Saturday: (I was with several friends & a couple children): No bathrooms or portapotties that I saw outside the stadium. 20 yards from our car, 2 girls on the edge of the woods, one with pants down to her ankles & the other assisting the other; going to the bathroom (we think). No garbage cans anywhere. Trees in the parking lot area with empty beer cans on every limb. A party scene on both sides of the street that was unbelievable…it was lawless…like a wild spring break scene multiplied by 5. On our way into the game, we actually saw students carrying around & doing beer funnels in the street! When we returned to our parking spot after the game...my wife's portable wood table was maliciously broken in many pieces (I haven't told her yet), 2 coolers stolen & other evidence was similar to bears getting into your camp site!

Now – I like to party but this was he most bizarre, out of control, barbaric scene I have ever experienced at a game – & we were on the fringe of the scene!

sounds like a typical day at the Richmond International Raceway! gotta love NASCAR!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

KAUMASS
December 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Should schools start up a FCS girls football team to go with their mouths?..Heck, they have women's college hockey..

People swear down at JMU?- I played down there in the mid 80's and it was a night game. It was a nice venue with a great atmosphere. Fans were respectful. I guess if fans can swear at a fine, reputable private university like JMU, then why is it a shock they would swear at a "public "university like UMass, which is nicknamed zoomass? UNH fans, stay out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat.

All the respect in the world for JMU's program and Coach Matthews and his son from this college football fan..You guys do a great job down there..Good Luck in 2007..

UNH_ORACLE
December 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Figures this thread was started by a UNH fan.

Who else would you expect to start it? Nice Dr. Evil quote.

rcny46
December 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Should schools start up a FCS girls football team to go with their mouths?..Heck, they have women's college hockey..

People swear down at JMU?- I played down there in the mid 80's and it was a night game. It was a nice venue with a great atmosphere. Fans were respectful. I guess if fans can swear at a fine, reputable private university like JMU, then why is it a shock they would swear at a "public "university like UMass, which is nicknamed zoomass? UNH fans, stay out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat.

All the respect in the world for JMU's program and Coach Matthews and his son from this college football fan..You guys do a great job down there..Good Luck in 2007..

Why do you single outUNH fans for not being able to take the heat as you so casually put it? There were several UMass fans who were critical of what went on as well.You condone spitting on cheerleaders,and dousing them with soda,incessant obscenities directed at opposing followers and the UNH team,including those of a sexually explicit variety,drunks falling all over each other(that from a Umass alumna) urinating in parking lots,underage drinking? What in the frigging hell does all of that crap have to do with football? When someone has the "unmitigated gall" to criticize this stuff,you tell them to get out of the kitchen if they can't take the heat.Nice solution,nice sense of what's right and what's wrong. :mad: