PDA

View Full Version : Sacked

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Here's a stat that shouldn't be very comforting to Griz fans... Montana QB's have been sacked 48 times :eek: this season... UMass only 14 times.

Proud Griz Man
December 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Here's a stat that shouldn't be very comforting to Griz fans... Montana QB's have been sacked 48 times :eek: this season... UMass only 14 times.

I really like this post Chickie, with a sack over your head!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Comforting? But you A-10 fans know that everybody else is inferior to the A-10, and nobody stands a chance to compete with you guys. :bow:

fencer24
December 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Didn't SIU give up the same number of sacks last week as they did all year? Could be wrong though

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Remember, those 48 sacks came against the superior BSC foes. UMass's 14 were against the inferior A-10 conference patsies. ;) ;) ;) ;)

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I really like this post Chickie, with a sack over your head!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Comforting? But you A-10 fans know that everybody else is inferior to the A-10, and nobody stands a chance to compete with you guys. :bow:

just stating a fact... sorry if that FACT makes some Cubbie fans uncomfortable... :p

griz8791
December 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM
The thing is, we've been watching it all year so it isn't exactly news, or at least it isn't news to us. It provoked a lot of hand-wringing at egriz but we're 12-1 and have a semifinal game at home. What else would we say?

Ronbo
December 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
So? He's 12-1, anything else? xlolx

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
So? He's 12-1, anything else? xlolx
He's probably got stock in whoever makes Tylenol!

CrunchGriz
December 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Griz fans, coaches, and team (including Josh Swogger) all know UMass will get to him a few times. He has proven pretty adept at getting up and beating you on the next play, especially here in the post-season.

As Griz fans, we worry about it (and Josh's health), but we have faith that he (and the Griz) will somehow overcome--by this point he's proven our faith justified.

UMass better hope to get to him a bunch, or that he's having a bad game, because so far he has been absolutely on target in the playoffs, and he has a major league arm.

All that being said, most Griz fans know that the UMass D is very good, and expect a tough, hard-fought game. Should be a great one.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
just stating a fact... sorry if that FACT makes some Cubbie fans uncomfortable... :p

I think the fact that we are still 12-1 and dominating teams in the playoffs despite this stat should make UMass fans uncomfortable :twocents:

grizbeer
December 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I think Josh was sacked 14 times on the game winning drive of the Cal Poly game alone xlolx Seriously UMass will get a few sacks Friday, no question, but 1 thing Swogger has shown is he doesn't get rattled by them, he gets back up and beats you on the next play.

I don't think the sacks will be as big a deal Friday as the red zone offense. That is really the only part of the Griz game that has struggled this year, and with UMass's tough D I don't expect that to change Friday. On the other hand between the Griz D and the personal foul calls UMass will get I don't expect UMass to get into the red zone often, either.

putter
December 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Actually CM, his name used to be Swagger but he has been hit so much that it knocked him down a few vowels so now he is Swogger!! xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
The question is, which conference is better defensively?

Peems
December 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM

i dont think the question is which "conference" as it is which team.

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
On the other hand between the Griz D and the personal foul calls UMass will get I don't expect UMass to get into the red zone often, either.

Montana is a more penalized team then UMass.

blukeys
December 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM

If you include Delaware the answer has to be Big Fluffy Sky. Exclude them then who knows. :D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Montana is a more penalized team then UMass.

Speaking only of this Friday night's game with UMass, I tend to think that the Minutemen will be the most penalized team.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2006, 09:00 PM
i dont think the question is which "conference" as it is which team.

I think it is, since it is your conference opponents who have been sacking you. Of course, you can't overlook that Armanti is really slippery and he won't always be sacked just because the pocket breaks down. If your offensive line is not good, then I think your D will have a very tough time with App State if you have to play them.

umassfan
December 4th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Speaking only of this Friday night's game with UMass, I tend to think that the Minutemen will be the most penalized team.
Hell even Montana has false start penalties in their own stadium... I guess the crowd gets to them too huh?

Tod
December 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think it is, since it is your conference opponents who have been sacking you. Of course, you can't overlook that Armanti is really slippery and he won't always be sacked just because the pocket breaks down. If your offensive line is not good, then I think your D will have a very tough time with App State if you have to play them.

At this point we have eight Big Sky games and five OOC games, so it's a bit of a stretch to say it's our own conference opponents sacking us. It's a lot of other opponents, too.

Montana has given up 48 sacks and has 34. That's an average of 3.7 given up, and 2.6 gained.

Kind of humorous that a one sack difference per game can be so important that it generates a thread.

Sounds desperate, to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

blukeys
December 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
At this point we have eight Big Sky games and five OOC games, so it's a bit of a stretch to say it's our own conference opponents sacking us. It's a lot of other opponents, too.

Montana has given up 48 sacks and has 34. That's an average of 3.7 given up, and 2.6 gained.

Kind of humorous that a one sack difference per game can be so important that it generates a thread.

Most NFL scouts and coaches consider sack differential as the second most important statistic for predicting a winner. The first is Turnovers differential.

Tod
December 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Most NFL scouts and coaches consider sack differential as the second most important statistic for predicting a winner. The first is Turnovers differential.

This ain't the NFL.

That said, it looks like UMass is +4 and UM is +11 on turnovers.

elkmcc
December 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
This ain't the NFL.

That said, it looks like UMass is +4 and UM is +11 on turnovers.

hehe..
One of the TV announcers mentioned that a lot of UM's sacks are "coverage sacks". I think there is a lot of merit to this. Josh can take a pretty good hit and get right back up. I guess this is a real benefit to a having a 6'-5" 240# quarterback.

Where are you now Todd? If you are close enough to come see the game, consider yourself invited. My treat.

umassfan
December 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Its not 48 vs 34 though. Its 48 vs 14. Montana has given up 48 sacks and UMass only 14. That is 3.7 vs 1.07 per game. Almost a 3 sack difference.

GrizFanIRAQ
December 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM

Hopefully, those same scouts predicted Montana to be 12-1 at this point or that theory is blown to *****:thumbsup::twocents: