PDA

View Full Version : Liberty beats GA State

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2015, 06:07 PM
The Flames get a "FBS" scalp with a 41-33 win.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2015, 06:11 PM
Either GA State is getting better or Liberty is getting less stable as the season goes. I expected them to piss pound GA State but a win is win...that is not an FBS win though whether it's the moniker or not.

catamount man
October 3rd, 2015, 06:12 PM
Good win Flames!

knucklehead
October 3rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
It is an FBS win whether you like it or not. LU with Gill is 2-0 vs the Sun Belt. The DB's did look a little shaky, but part of that was them picking on freshmen filling in for injured Wes Scott. Good win. Now on the conference season at 3-2 with losses to FBS WVU and a MVFC SIU. Still think we got caught in a trap in the SIU game just like Ind st last year.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2015, 06:19 PM
Liberty has their moments of brilliance but struggled in some areas I didn't expect. After the SIU loss I think this was important for an at-large in case they lose to CCU.

IBleedYellow
October 3rd, 2015, 06:20 PM
Either GA State is getting better or Liberty is getting less stable as the season goes. I expected them to piss pound GA State but a win is win...that is not an FBS win though whether it's the moniker or not.

I am thinking the same thing. The jury is still out on Liberty this year.

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2015, 06:20 PM
Can we stop calling GA State a FBS win? xlolx :D Good win though Liberty...needed that bounce back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2015, 06:22 PM
I did put FBS in "" for a reason....:p

knucklehead
October 3rd, 2015, 06:25 PM
Offense was considerably better.. Lots of long sustained drives. and Lunsford with his 11th 50+ FG.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
It is an FBS win whether you like it or not. LU with Gill is 2-0 vs the Sun Belt. The DB's did look a little shaky, but part of that was them picking on freshmen filling in for injured Wes Scott. Good win. Now on the conference season at 3-2 with losses to FBS WVU and a MVFC SIU. Still think we got caught in a trap in the SIU game just like Ind st last year.

You can be pissy about it I guess but it isn't meant to take away from the win. It may be called an FBS win but it doesn't carry that weight in my mind is all I'm saying. Of course it is one in name. An FBS win usually has me look at a team and say "hey, they have a higher ceiling than I expected" but this doesn't do that. I did not expect you guys to even be pushed in this one.

RootinFerDukes
October 3rd, 2015, 06:45 PM
Credit to Liberty for winning a game you should have won. Ga state would lose to any top 25 Fcs team.

knucklehead
October 3rd, 2015, 06:48 PM
You can be pissy about it I guess but it isn't meant to take away from the win. It may be called an FBS win but it doesn't carry that weight in my mind is all I'm saying. Of course it is one in name. An FBS win usually has me look at a team and say "hey, they have a higher ceiling than I expected" but this doesn't do that. I did not expect you guys to even be pushed in this one.

I actually agree with that last line. A lot of Freshmen on the D side of the ball and a key missing CB. Still should have won by more.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
I actually agree with that last line. A lot of Freshmen on the D side of the ball and a key missing CB. Still should have won by more.

Well, if you agree with the last line I don't know how the rest is off base but I don't care anyway so we'll leave it at that.

jsnow84
October 3rd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Any FBS win is a good win. I don't believe any top 25 team could beat GAS by a long stretch. They did beat NMSU last game, on the road (I believe). They have a lot of UAB transfers, have a great kicker and a very solid QB. They will get a lot better in a year or so. Most of their team is underclassmen.

citdog
October 3rd, 2015, 07:48 PM
It's not the Fighting Falwells fault that the GSU coaches recruited 85 guys who suck and they recruited 63 guys who don't.

jmufan999
October 3rd, 2015, 07:52 PM
They did beat NMSU last game, on the road (I believe).

what's impressive about NMSU? they're 0-3. we're giving Georgia State credit simply for winning a game?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2015, 08:01 PM
Georgia State's still pretty bad, but not as bad as they were 2-3 years ago.

I'll say this....they aren't the worst FBS team to take a loss to an FCS team. That would be Wyoming.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2015, 08:09 PM
Whatever'sWhatever'sxeyebrowx
Congratsxthumbsupx

Seawolf97
October 3rd, 2015, 08:41 PM
Congratulations to the Flames nice win !!

citdog
October 3rd, 2015, 08:59 PM

I'll say this....they aren't the worst FBS team to take a loss to an FCS team. That would be Wyoming.

You just can't call them GSU can you?

CasualFan
October 3rd, 2015, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Flames!

Bisonator
October 3rd, 2015, 09:04 PM
It's not the Fighting Falwells fault that the GSU coaches recruited 85 guys who suck and they recruited 63 guys who don't.

Do they have 85 schollies? If so they are getting ripped off. xlolx

RootinFerDukes
October 3rd, 2015, 09:14 PM

Stop giving Ga State credit. If you're still losing to FCS teams... you're still a dumpster fire.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2015, 09:18 PM
Stop giving Ga State credit. If you're still losing to FCS teams... you're still a dumpster fire.

The Panthers have gone from a terrible FCS team to a terrible FBS team. Improvement? Yes but it's rather relative...

The SBC is soo bad. GSU and App State had better competition in the SoCon. The OOC performance by SBC in general has been beyond putrid....

RootinFerDukes
October 3rd, 2015, 09:22 PM
The fact that Appalachian State and Georgia Southern were just able to come in and dominate in the first year and are still dominating tells you all you need to know about the Sun Belt. It's the unofficial 14th FCS conference. Their fans just don't realize it.

Their games are predominately on ESPN3. Okay cool. You and half of the FCS conferences out there. They have some ESPN TV games on weeknights like Tuesdays. Cool. So does the MEAC, SWAC and Big South.
They've got a handful of bowl game tie-ins. Okay. You've got us beat there. I really wish I could be in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.

I may prefer JMU move up, but you'll never see me say that bowl games hold any meaning other than eye balls on your school's football product by 1M very casually watching viewers in sports bars.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2015, 09:25 PM
The fact that Appalachian State and Georgia Southern were just able to come in and dominate in the first year and are still dominating tells you all you need to know about the Sun Belt. It's the unofficial 14th FCS conference. Their fans just don't realize it.

The App State and GSU fans are finally coming to grips with the realization of just how bad the league is. It's got to be sobering knowing you're stuck in a league that deems you irrelevant nationally and there's no way out....

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM

Their games are predominately on ESPN3. Okay cool. You and half of the FCS conferences out there. They have some ESPN TV games on weeknights like Tuesdays. Cool. So does the MEAC, SWAC and Big South.
They've got a handful of bowl game tie-ins. Okay. You've got us beat there. I really wish I could be in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.

I may prefer JMU move up, but you'll never see me say that bowl games hold any meaning other than eye balls on your school's football product by 1M very casually watching viewers in sports bars.

You forgot degenerate gamblers.... :D

AmsterBison
October 3rd, 2015, 09:32 PM
Nice job, Liberty.

Since you can't do it, I'll have a Glenmoragnie in your honor. (no need to thank me.)

Edit: Done. And it was glorious. :)

jsnow84
October 3rd, 2015, 10:09 PM

Good post.

Bison56
October 3rd, 2015, 11:46 PM

Good post.

tigonian02
October 3rd, 2015, 11:48 PM
The App State and GSU fans are finally coming to grips with the realization of just how bad the league is. It's got to be sobering knowing you're stuck in a league that deems you irrelevant nationally and there's no way out....

GLTo, I'm not sure who pissed in your Wheaties, but you're ALWAYS angry at FBS teams who left FCS. I came over here to congratulate Liberty on beating that dumpster fire in Atlanta, but I'll deviate a bit. I can't speak for App, but Southern has enjoyed its move up. Yes the socon was cool and the memories will be there, but we've become a bigger faster team overall, and since the move have improved average home attendance, weekly exposure, its facilities, its income, etc. We are thoroughly satisfied that we moved up with App and that our rivalry is still ongoing (sorry Furman). I hope we do keep running over the old guard in the Sunbelt. More trophies and bowls for us, whether you like it or not brings more exposure. It's no secret that there is a distinct drop off between the top 3 or 4 teams in the Sunbelt and the rest. But thats no different from when we were in the Socon. And yes, the other poster is right...most of our games are on espn3. Yet thats still a few steps up from what App and GaSouthern were on when they were in the socon(public broadcasting)....and we now get paid for it. I haven't done the research on this, but I'd bet that the bottom 3 in the Sunbelt (GaState, NMSU, Idaho) are probably the only teams in conference that an FCS team (outside the top 10) has a shot at coming into the game being the favorite to win it. Wofford, who has a chance at winning the Socon this year lost to Idaho (who should be FCS along with GaState), who in turn got manhandled by us. I think GaState was highly irresponsible in the execution of their plan to move up divisions, and we're stuck with that for the forseeable future, but Idaho and NMSU are not a lock to stay in the conference, which would leave only 1 true dumpster fire in the conference. This same school that you are congratulating for beating said dumpster fire has been trying to leave FCS for a while now, and EKU, who put on a hell of a show tonight also wants out. Coastal has already left. Imo the future eastern division of the Sunbelt minus GaState would be better competition school for school than many of our years in the Socon. Hell, even now you couldn't say that the top 5 socon teams would beat the top 5 sunbelt teams.

As for your no way out, egh maybe we'll get an invite elsewhere, maybe not. But for now we're in the best place for our schools. We'll keep working on improving our game and gaining notoriety and you can keep on doing whatever it is that a Lehigh does (which apparently includes getting blown out by ivy league schools).

Btw, Congrats Liberty.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2015, 12:00 AM
GLTo, I'm not sure who pissed in your Wheaties, but you're ALWAYS angry at FBS teams who left FCS. I came over here to congratulate Liberty on beating that dumpster fire in Atlanta, but I'll deviate a bit. I can't speak for App, but Southern has enjoyed its move up. Yes the socon was cool and the memories will be there, but we've become a bigger faster team overall, and since the move have improved average home attendance, weekly exposure, its facilities, its income, etc. We are thoroughly satisfied that we moved up with App and that our rivalry is still ongoing (sorry Furman). I hope we do keep running over the old guard in the Sunbelt. More trophies and bowls for us, whether you like it or not brings more exposure. It's no secret that there is a distinct drop off between the top 3 or 4 teams in the Sunbelt and the rest. But thats no different from when we were in the Socon. And yes, the other poster is right...most of our games are on espn3. Yet thats still a few steps up from what App and GaSouthern were on when they were in the socon(public broadcasting)....and we now get paid for it. I haven't done the research on this, but I'd bet that the bottom 3 in the Sunbelt (GaState, NMSU, Idaho) are probably the only teams in conference that an FCS team (outside the top 10) has a shot at coming into the game being the favorite to win it. Wofford, who has a chance at winning the Socon this year lost to Idaho (who should be FCS along with GaState), who in turn got manhandled by us. I think GaState was highly irresponsible in the execution of their plan to move up divisions, and we're stuck with that for the forseeable future, but Idaho and NMSU are not a lock to stay in the conference, which would leave only 1 true dumpster fire in the conference. This same school that you are congratulating for beating said dumpster fire has been trying to leave FCS for a while now, and EKU, who put on a hell of a show tonight also wants out. Coastal has already left. Imo the future eastern division of the Sunbelt minus GaState would be better competition school for school than many of our years in the Socon. Hell, even now you couldn't say that the top 5 socon teams would beat the top 5 sunbelt teams.

As for your no way out, egh maybe we'll get an invite elsewhere, maybe not. But for now we're in the best place for our schools. We'll keep working on improving our game and gaining notoriety and you can keep on doing whatever it is that a Lehigh does (which apparently includes getting blown out by ivy league schools).

Btw, Congrats Liberty.

My problem is the dregs that bring down the perception of the G5. The AAC should not be lumped in with the SBC. The conferences are on vastly different plateaus in both football and basketball. I think generally speaking everyone knows that. There is a great chasm that exists within FBS football. There's basically 3 tiers right now.

Remember I'm a Temple alum who follows FBS football and G5 football very closely. I'm still basking in the glow of our win over Penn State and our 4-0 start. We have a legit shot at the New Year's Bowl. We have a monster game coming up at ECU then a home game against Notre Dame on Halloween. When I watch our league and then watch the SBC I simply shake my head....

Where is GSU going to go? CUSA? That's your only option....

centennial
October 4th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Sorry but the strongest FCS conferences are better than Sun Belt and MAC. The MVFC is better with less scholarships and resources. The Big Sky and CAA are similar. The reality is neither GSo or App State would would be sure shots in the MVFC, or CAA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Sorry but the strongest FCS conferences are better than Sun Belt and MAC. The MVFC is better with less scholarships and resources. The Big Sky and CAA are similar. The reality is neither GSo or App State would would be sure shots in the MVFC, or CAA.

The MAC is arguably the second best G5 conference this year. Toledo is finally starting to pick up some national attention. The Rockets usually have a solid team but this year they seem to be even better. Bowling Green and Ohio are also pretty good. NIU and WMU have been disappointments. Georgia Southern clobbered WMU a couple of weeks ago.

Most years the MAC is pretty darn good. People forget that NIU hung with FSU in that Orange Bowl until the 4th quarter. The Huskies have had nationally relevant teams going back to Garrett Wolfe and Michael Turner. The league has had some big moments the last 15-20 years. There are some years though when it does suck. But most years the top 2 MAC schools would clean-up in FCS. The better teams record against FCS is actually VERY good.

The MWC is the G5 conference this year that really looks weak outside of Boise State. Even Air Force looks blah and they're usually pretty steady....

Georgia Southern and App State are pretty good but they are far off the radar due to failing miserably in their step-up games and the SBC's perception....

tigonian02
October 4th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Yeah, at this point, there is no real question that the AAC is ahead of the rest of the G5. They along with the MWC (not too hot this year) are essentially the P5 feeder conferences IMO. But what happens when the call ups to P5 stop? What happens when the entire G5 for once has full stability? Yeah its possible that the P5 and G5 split leaving 3 distinct levels. Its also possible that they don't. In both of these scenarios it's possible that FCS is on the outside without even a window to look in (which it currently has).

I agree that there are a lot of programs, not just in the Sunbelt, that bring the G5 down. There are a lot of factors, but from an athletic viewpoint, any FBS school G5 or P5 that gets into a habit of being ritualisticly beaten down by multiple FCS schools year in and year out shouldn't be in FBS. Same thing applies to P5 schools getting handled by G5 schools. The Sunbelt OOC record is horrendous. No one really held up their end of the bargain against P5 teams and only a couple held up against the other G5s, but the conference as a whole is a work in progress, and to its credit, only GaState lost an FCS game(again congrats Liberty). Not defending the poor play of the conference as a whole...I still think NMSU and Idaho are dead weight as they stand...GaState is at least competent in basketball. The AAC has its bad eggs also though that lost FCS games. But to the same effect, all of the lower tier and most of who would be considered in the middle to upper middle Sunbelt teams got beat by other G5s(some of which will not do well in their conferences). The AAC has generally handled their business against other G5.

My point is still that every G5 conference has its competitors, it's trolls, and it's body bags. Now that App and Southern are in the Sunbelt and there seems to be a hold on any more immediate realignment, its time to see over the next few seasons who wants to compete(Coastal hopefully), who doesnt, and who wants to talk s*** (ULL).

I hope for FBS sake that the whole idea of bringing schools in for their media markets in lieu of someone who has actually proven their merit dies off real soon. GaState may be good one day, but the Liberty, EKU, JSU, JMU, UTC, and a few more that I'm probably leaving out are all better now and would do more for the conference from a football standpoint.

tigonian02
October 4th, 2015, 01:23 AM

GaSouthern would run straight thru the CAA. As for the MVFC, the biggest question is really NDSU and they look like they've lost a step. They would be the only true obstacle in the MVFC.

tigonian02
October 4th, 2015, 01:40 AM
The MAC is arguably the second best G5 conference this year. Toledo is finally starting to pick up some national attention. The Rockets usually have a solid team but this year they seem to be even better. Bowling Green and Ohio are also pretty good. NIU and WMU have been disappointments. Georgia Southern clobbered WMU a couple of weeks ago.

Most years the MAC is pretty darn good. People forget that NIU hung with FSU in that Orange Bowl until the 4th quarter. The Huskies have had nationally relevant teams going back to Garrett Wolfe and Michael Turner. The league has had some big moments the last 15-20 years. There are some years though when it does suck. But most years the top 2 MAC schools would clean-up in FCS. The better teams record against FCS is actually VERY good.

The MWC is the G5 conference this year that really looks weak outside of Boise State. Even Air Force looks blah and they're usually pretty steady....

Georgia Southern and App State are pretty good but they are far off the radar due to failing miserably in their step-up games and the SBC's perception....

The jury is still out on WMU. Look who they've played so far. MSU and OSU were near guaranteed losses. GaSouthern looked bad at WVU, but their starting QB was suspended and they were breaking in a new Oline. They essentially pealed off on WMU. Southerns conference schedule sucks, but with the exception of the App State game and UGA later on, they may beat everyone by 3+ scores. That first game is really what hurt them. Still not impossible to get that access bowl slot. Just improbable. Southern would have to beat UGA later this year and end the season at 11-1 and the AAC winner would have to lose a conference game as well as Boise for us to jump back in that discussion.
Beware of Navy.

frozennorth
October 4th, 2015, 03:59 AM
GaSouthern would run straight thru the CAA. As for the MVFC, the biggest question is really NDSU and they look like they've lost a step. They would be the only true obstacle in the MVFC.

GSU would be an upper teir MVFC team and a strong contender for league title.

Baldy
October 4th, 2015, 07:20 AM
My problem is the dregs that bring down the perception of the G5. The AAC should not be lumped in with the SBC. The conferences are on vastly different plateaus in both football and basketball. I think generally speaking everyone knows that. There is a great chasm that exists within FBS football. There's basically 3 tiers right now.

Remember I'm a Temple alum who follows FBS football and G5 football very closely. I'm still basking in the glow of our win over Penn State and our 4-0 start. We have a legit shot at the New Year's Bowl. We have a monster game coming up at ECU then a home game against Notre Dame on Halloween. When I watch our league and then watch the SBC I simply shake my head....

Where is GSU going to go? CUSA? That's your only option....
Too bad. The AAC is lumped in with the SBC just like the MVFC or CAA is lumped in with the Pioneer or MEAC or NEC, etc. The differences are easy:
1. Relatively speaking, the AAC isn't the MVFC.
2. The AAC has more in common with the SBC than it does with the SEC, B1G, PAC12, etc.

The CUSA might be our only option....for now. Who knows what our options will be in 5-10 years. One would think, if anyone, a Temple fan would realize that since your team got kicked out of the Big East. Your only option at that time was to be an independent. Luckily the MAC threw you a lifeline a couple of years later. If we keep taking care of business, we will have plenty of opportunities in the future.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 4th, 2015, 08:17 AM

What do you mean by this? App played a sloppy game against a team that is on a trajectory to represent the ACC in the CFP, and Georgia Southern played one of the better Big 12 teams with their backup QB and with a new offensive line. Aside from that App has clobbered two low-level G5s and Georgia Southern beat by 26 points a team that should finish at least third in the MAC West, in spite of you writing them off just because we beat them.

And if beating a P5 team with a name means you have made it then Georgia Southern has made it with the win over Florida. Penn State has a name but they barely escaped Army and only have unimpressive wins over lesser G5 teams so far. The reality is that the Access Bowl is Boise's to lose. I don't think Toledo, Temple, or Memphis are locks to run the table in their conferences by any means, but I don't see any conference losses on Boise's schedule.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Too bad. The AAC is lumped in with the SBC just like the MVFC or CAA is lumped in with the Pioneer or MEAC or NEC, etc. The differences are easy:
1. Relatively speaking, the AAC isn't the MVFC.
2. The AAC has more in common with the SBC than it does with the SEC, B1G, PAC12, etc.

The CUSA might be our only option....for now. Who knows what our options will be in 5-10 years. One would think, if anyone, a Temple fan would realize that since your team got kicked out of the Big East. Your only option at that time was to be an independent. Luckily the MAC threw you a lifeline a couple of years later. If we keep taking care of business, we will have plenty of opportunities in the future.

Not when you consider football and basketball. Hoops matters, especially to a number of AAC schools...

Look at the TV visibility just this past weekend. UConn at BYU? Miami at Cincinnati? Memphis at USF? The SBC has yet to have a national broadcast on ESPN iirc....

Cocky
October 4th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah, at this point, there is no real question that the AAC is ahead of the rest of the G5. They along with the MWC (not too hot this year) are essentially the P5 feeder conferences IMO. But what happens when the call ups to P5 stop? What happens when the entire G5 for once has full stability? Yeah its possible that the P5 and G5 split leaving 3 distinct levels. Its also possible that they don't. In both of these scenarios it's possible that FCS is on the outside without even a window to look in (which it currently has).

I agree that there are a lot of programs, not just in the Sunbelt, that bring the G5 down. There are a lot of factors, but from an athletic viewpoint, any FBS school G5 or P5 that gets into a habit of being ritualisticly beaten down by multiple FCS schools year in and year out shouldn't be in FBS. Same thing applies to P5 schools getting handled by G5 schools. The Sunbelt OOC record is horrendous. No one really held up their end of the bargain against P5 teams and only a couple held up against the other G5s, but the conference as a whole is a work in progress, and to its credit, only GaState lost an FCS game(again congrats Liberty). Not defending the poor play of the conference as a whole...I still think NMSU and Idaho are dead weight as they stand...GaState is at least competent in basketball. The AAC has its bad eggs also though that lost FCS games. But to the same effect, all of the lower tier and most of who would be considered in the middle to upper middle Sunbelt teams got beat by other G5s(some of which will not do well in their conferences). The AAC has generally handled their business against other G5.

My point is still that every G5 conference has its competitors, it's trolls, and it's body bags. Now that App and Southern are in the Sunbelt and there seems to be a hold on any more immediate realignment, its time to see over the next few seasons who wants to compete(Coastal hopefully), who doesnt, and who wants to talk s*** (ULL).

I hope for FBS sake that the whole idea of bringing schools in for their media markets in lieu of someone who has actually proven their merit dies off real soon. GaState may be good one day, but the Liberty, EKU, JSU, JMU, UTC, and a few more that I'm probably leaving out are all better now and would do more for the conference from a football standpoint.

You can forget JSU as long as troy is a member. troy would walk on hot coals to keep us from moving up with good reason. troy has struggled since USAs addition of football and our stadium/coaching improvements. The SB problem is letting the schools afraid of competition set the priorities for the conference. As long as the troy types and ULaLa (against McNeese and Lamar) and Tx St (against Sam Houston) run the league your league will struggle.

Sitting Bull
October 4th, 2015, 09:50 AM
The fact that Appalachian State and Georgia Southern were just able to come in and dominate in the first year and are still dominating tells you all you need to know about the Sun Belt. It's the unofficial 14th FCS conference. Their fans just don't realize it

Marshall did same when they went from FCS to the MAC.

Make the MAC #15 FCS conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Marshall did same when they went from FCS to the MAC.

Make the MAC #15 FCS conference.

You can't compare that Marshall team to GSU or App State....

Sitting Bull
October 4th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Sure you can. If you are saying they were better than App and GS when they moved up, I agree.

Still, they didn't just compete right away in the MAC, they dominated.

G5 does have a split I think, the AAC certainly a step above the others. The MW has a few programs that could also be in the P5 ballpark.

The MAC, Belt and CUSA are all closer to FCS than they are P5.

jsnow84
October 4th, 2015, 11:27 AM

+1

KPSUL
October 4th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Isn't there a Sunbelt or G5 board you GA Southern and App. State could post to ?

Baldy
October 4th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Not when you consider football and basketball. Hoops matters, especially to a number of AAC schools...

Look at the TV visibility just this past weekend. UConn at BYU? Miami at Cincinnati? Memphis at USF? The SBC has yet to have a national broadcast on ESPN iirc....
Basketball wasn't even part of the discussion...well not until your deflection.
ECU, Tulane, UCF, USF, etc. are not in the American because of their basketball prowess.

Football is THE driving force for conference affiliation, organization, and membership. Great football makes up for bad basketball. Just look at UGA, Auburn, VA Tech, etc.

Everyone knows the American has a much better TV deal than the SBC, but UConn was on because of BYU and Cincinnati because they were playing Miami. Just like Ark State was on one of the ESPN flagships last year when they played Miami.

CasualFan
October 4th, 2015, 11:49 AM
In reading this thread, I am shocked to discover that conferences and subdivisions have wildly different levels of quality within them. xrolleyesx

AshevilleApp2
October 4th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Isn't there a Sunbelt or G5 board you GA Southern and App. State could post to ?

Don't like it? Don't read it. Very simple really.

KPSUL
October 4th, 2015, 12:59 PM

Good advice, thanks.

I just wonder why two years into playing in a G5 conference some fans are spending all that time on an FCS board? Particularly when one of their themes is how great it is to play in the Sun Belt.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21411&stc=1
SUN BELT TROLL

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2015, 01:09 PM

I've always like almost all of the App and GSU fans even some of the pains in the ass, I've always like the FBS guys defending their stuff and taking a beating when they tried to "big time" things around here.

There is zero reason any of you guys should not be here hashing it out in an area like this where the discussion is already about a SBC team and so forth.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Good advice, thanks.

I just wonder why two years into playing in a G5 conference some fans are spending all that time on an FCS board? Particularly when one of their themes is how great it is to play in the Sun Belt.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21411&stc=1
SUN BELT TROLL

I don't think you took it correct. I think he is saying he doesn't like it, he doesn't read it, simple as that. These guys are family to this board, they've been friends and people I've met and hung out with in person and they keep the discussion pretty much to what the lane we are in on any topic...or at least swerve out of it with us. We talk about the SBC and they defend their position. If we're gonna talk about that then we sure as hell ought to expect them to discuss it with us.

knucklehead
October 4th, 2015, 02:10 PM
What is this thread about again? haha

AshevilleApp2
October 4th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I've always like almost all of the App and GSU fans even some of the pains in the ass, I've always like the FBS guys defending their stuff and taking a beating when they tried to "big time" things around here.

There is zero reason any of you guys should not be here hashing it out in an area like this where the discussion is already about a SBC team and so forth.

I completely agree that many fans of both schools made asses of themselves here before, and while, making the move. I called out a few myself, at least on the App side of things. But most of them have moved on. I generally don't respond to the shots about the SBC either, it is the weakest of the G5 Conferences. And I can understand the bitterness of a Temple fan who doesn't want to be associated with the lower classes. Just a couple of years ago they were among the six conferences considered major, and now they're amongst the rabble. :D

But there are good points to both sides of the debate, and believe it or not, I think most App fans are happy with the move. I'm still skeptical, because I liked the Southern Conference rivalries, the regional footprint and the playoff format. But as long as App can compete at whatever level they play at, I'll be okay. And I've never been to a Bowl Game, so hopefully that will be corrected soon. And New Orleans, Mobile and Orlando seem more appealing to me in December/January than Frisco, even if the outcome of the game means less.

AshevilleApp2
October 4th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Good advice, thanks.

SUN BELT TROLL

Nailed me there, didn't you? xlolx

KPSUL
October 4th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I completely agree that many fans of both schools made asses of themselves here before, and while, making the move. I called out a few myself, at least on the App side of things. But most of them have moved on. I generally don't respond to the shots about the SBC either, it is the weakest of the G5 Conferences. And I can understand the bitterness of a Temple fan who doesn't want to be associated with the lower classes. Just a couple of years they were among the six conferences considered major, and now they're amongst the rabble. :D

But there are good points to both sides of the debate, and believe it or not, I think most App fans are happy with the move. I'm still skeptical, because I liked the Southern Conference rivalries, the regional footprint and the playoff format. But as long as App can compete at whatever level they play at, I'll be okay. And I've never been to a Bowl Game, so hopefully that will be corrected soon. And New Orleans, Mobile and Orlando seem more appealing to me in December/January than Frisco, even if the outcome of the game means less.

Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa! maxima Mea Culpa!

AshevilleApp2
October 4th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa! maxima Mea Culpa!

No sweat. Easy to get worked up here. xthumbsupx

Baldy
October 4th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Good advice, thanks.

SUN BELT TROLL
I'm sorry. Who the **** are you? xconfusedx

I've been a member of this forum for 12 years now. Met with, dined with, drank with, slept with (no homo), and made quite a few friends here.
That's why.

You got a problem with that? xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
October 4th, 2015, 03:40 PM

I've been a member of this forum for 12 years now. Met with, dined with, drank with, slept with (no homo), and made quite a few friends here.
That's why.

And then there is this! xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

What is this thread about again? haha

Sorry man, good win yesterday. Not unexpected though.

KPSUL
October 4th, 2015, 04:56 PM

That's why.

Thanks for illustrating my point so clearly!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Basketball wasn't even part of the discussion...well not until your deflection.
ECU, Tulane, UCF, USF, etc. are not in the American because of their basketball prowess.

Football is THE driving force for conference affiliation, organization, and membership. Great football makes up for bad basketball. Just look at UGA, Auburn, VA Tech, etc.

Everyone knows the American has a much better TV deal than the SBC, but UConn was on because of BYU and Cincinnati because they were playing Miami. Just like Ark State was on one of the ESPN flagships last year when they played Miami.

This is true to a point. Still, basketball also matters and mattes a lot. That's why Temple is not currently an all sports member of the MAC, It's also why UMass will be leaving the MAC and going the Indy route. It's why UNI won't make any dumb choices that would jeopardize hoops. It's why the new Big East was formed and Fox paid good money to broadcast its games. It's one of the big reasons why GSU and or App State would never be given an invite to the AAC as presently constructed. It's why the SBC showed interest in NM State.

Cincinnati night games from Nippert have been a Thursday/Friday night staple on ESPN for the last 10+ years. Miami @ Cincinnati is simply an attractive game. The BYU game was a result of the Cougs contract. Still, ESPN wants to make sure the Huskies get their visibility too given their name recognition/value when it comes to hoops.

eaglewraith
October 4th, 2015, 08:19 PM
You just can't call them GSU can you?

Call them Gast.

Cause that's what they are when you get done running all over them.

Baldy
October 4th, 2015, 11:41 PM
This is true to a point. Still, basketball also matters and mattes a lot. That's why Temple is not currently an all sports member of the MAC, It's also why UMass will be leaving the MAC and going the Indy route. It's why UNI won't make any dumb choices that would jeopardize hoops. It's why the new Big East was formed and Fox paid good money to broadcast its games. It's one of the big reasons why GSU and or App State would never be given an invite to the AAC as presently constructed. It's why the SBC showed interest in NM State.
Basketball does matter a lot, but unless you're schools like Duke, or UConn, or UMass, or UNI the school will do what's best for it's football program, period. Don't fool yourself, UMass isn't leaving the MAC because it wants to, they're being forced out because they turned down a a full membership invite. The "new" Big East was formed because the basketball schools didn't like the influence the football schools had over the conference, and they wanted to return to their "roots"...a basketball conference. Never is a long time. Nobody would have ever thought Temple would've been invited to the American when they were kicked out of the Big East eight short years before.

Cincinnati night games from Nippert have been a Thursday/Friday night staple on ESPN for the last 10+ years. Miami @ Cincinnati is simply an attractive game. The BYU game was a result of the Cougs contract. Still, ESPN wants to make sure the Huskies get their visibility too given their name recognition/value when it comes to hoops.
Please...UConn football is a joke, but their basketball will get on ESPN no matter what.

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Btw, Congrats Liberty.

Everyone has the chance to win the socon this year according to some. But wofford is not one of the favorites by any stretch. That's a pretty stupid statement to try and back up your weak points.

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2015, 06:10 AM
What do you mean by this? App played a sloppy game against a team that is on a trajectory to represent the ACC in the CFP, and Georgia Southern played one of the better Big 12 teams with their backup QB and with a new offensive line. Aside from that App has clobbered two low-level G5s and Georgia Southern beat by 26 points a team that should finish at least third in the MAC West, in spite of you writing them off just because we beat them.

And if beating a P5 team with a name means you have made it then Georgia Southern has made it with the win over Florida. Penn State has a name but they barely escaped Army and only have unimpressive wins over lesser G5 teams so far. The reality is that the Access Bowl is Boise's to lose. I don't think Toledo, Temple, or Memphis are locks to run the table in their conferences by any means, but I don't see any conference losses on Boise's schedule.

West virginia is one of the better big 12 teams? How? Another Georgia Southern fan trying to slip in BS to help weak arguments.

Baldy
October 5th, 2015, 08:04 AM
West virginia is one of the better big 12 teams? How? Another Georgia Southern fan trying to slip in BS to help weak arguments.
Well, at least WVU isn't as bad as UTK. xlolx

Apphole
October 5th, 2015, 09:32 AM

xlolx What ever helps you sleep at night.

FYI, App is projected to play Syracuse in our bowl this week. Silly to project bowls at this point, but they did. You know as well as I do that the amount of money and exposure we get in the Sun Belt blows any FCS situation out of the water.

It's just a shame that a piece of our D1 prosperity is wasted on a sorry program like Georgia State.

BisonFan02
October 5th, 2015, 10:05 AM
xlolx What ever helps you sleep at night.

FYI, App is projected to play Syracuse in our bowl this week. Silly to project bowls at this point, but they did. You know as well as I do that the amount of money and exposure we get in the Sun Belt blows any FCS situation out of the water.

It's just a shame that a piece of our D1 prosperity is wasted on a sorry program like Georgia State.

Bull****....Revenue doesn't match with the added costs either.

FormerPokeCenter
October 5th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Sunbelt wins should be asterisked...

Apphole
October 5th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Sunbelt wins should be asterisked...
Well it's a moot point this year since the entire FCS has a total of 1 win against the Sun Belt and it's against.....Georgia State

centennial
October 5th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Well it's a moot point this year since the entire FCS has a total of 1 win against the Sun Belt and it's against.....Georgia State
What good FCS teams did the SunBelt play? And beat? Do you remember Liberty beating you last year? Stop acting like the Slum Belt is a step up from upper FCS.

clenz
October 5th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Bull****....Revenue doesn't match with the added costs either.
What's amazing is the added exposure is bull ****, too

On my TV (not xbox or computer) I've been able to watch one SBC game - ASU/ODU, which was because ODU was hosting.

I've watched 7 SLC, 5 Big Sky, 5 CAA, and and 6 MVFC games.

Where is this "exposure"?

AshevilleApp2
October 5th, 2015, 01:44 PM
xlolx xthumbsupx

citdog
October 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM

That's why.

You forgot that you got your Fannie whipped by some too!

Baldy
October 5th, 2015, 02:27 PM
You forgot that you got your Fannie whipped by some too!
Occasionally, but we were the ones who did most of the fanny whippin'. xnodx :D

And still are. xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2015, 02:58 PM
What's amazing is the added exposure is bull ****, too

On my TV (not xbox or computer) I've been able to watch one SBC game - ASU/ODU, which was because ODU was hosting.

I've watched 7 SLC, 5 Big Sky, 5 CAA, and and 6 MVFC games.

Where is this "exposure"?

The difference is we will get two weeknight ESPNU games and we will get paid for them instead of having to pay for. Don't get those in the SoCon.

We will get a lower-tier bowl game that will still (for some reason beyond my understanding) get better ratings than the deep FCS playoff games.

We're definitely flying coach, but at least we are flying.

FormerPokeCenter
October 5th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Enjoy those flights to Monroe and Lafayette, Louisiana...and Jonesboro, Arkansas...and Denton, Texas....

Destination cities, all!

AshevilleApp2
October 5th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Enjoy those flights to Monroe and Lafayette, Louisiana...and Jonesboro, Arkansas...and Denton, Texas....

Destination cities, all!

Kind of like Frisco? ;)

BisonFan02
October 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
The difference is we will get two weeknight ESPNU games and we will get paid for them instead of having to pay for. Don't get those in the SoCon.

We will get a lower-tier bowl game that will still (for some reason beyond my understanding) get better ratings than the deep FCS playoff games.

How much does "FBS" football cost?

clenz
October 5th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Add between 30-44 scholarships to your athletic budget....plus FCOA....plus travel for a bigger conference. Cost for more coaches. Cost for additional

You'd be looking at about another million in strictly scholarship costs.

Unless you don't care about Title IX compliance.

All in your at probbaly 1.5-2m extra per year

Cocky
October 5th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Sunbelt level not anymore than top level FCS.

BisonFan02
October 5th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Add 44 scholarships to your athletic budget....plus FCOA

You'd be looking at about another million in strictly scholarship costs.

Unless you don't care about Title IX compliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

clenz
October 5th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Sunbelt level not anymore than top level FCS.
22 extra football sholarships instantly adds about a million to the budget - remember scholarships are based on OOS tuition and you still need to maintain title IX compliance.

Extra staff for football - FBS allows more coaches.

Extra travel costs.

Sun Belt schools might be spending FCS money, but that's why they are just FCS teams under the FBS name.

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM

Let's face it, ESPN is calling the shots for these lower G5 leagues for their convenience. It's almost abuse. Because these trade-ups are so desperate for money (why else would you agree to some ridiculous schedule of weeknight games?), ESPN has them moving football games to weeknights and later slotted to some ridiculous bowl location to fill a Tuesday afternoon time slot during the holidays. And they wont be playing the big schools they want in these bowls, they will play someone else just like them - another wannabe with a 7-5 record.

You can call that exposure - but as a fan, I would hate it.

And the leagues/schools do it for money - money they didn't need in the So Con - but now that you have to fly over half the country to play these games - not to mention all the other sports programs having to do same - just to support all this new "exposure".

To each his own but I think it's all set for TV's convenience, not your students or your fans.

clenz
October 5th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Let's face it, ESPN is calling the shots for these lower G5 leagues for their convenience. It's almost abuse. Because these trade-ups are so desperate for money (why else would you agree to some ridiculous schedule of weeknight games?), ESPN has them moving football games to weeknights and later slotted to some ridiculous bowl location to fill a Tuesday afternoon time slot during the holidays. And they wont be playing the big schools they want in these bowls, they will play someone else just like them - another wannabe with a 7-5 record.

And the leagues/schools do it for money - money they didn't need in the So Con - but now that you have to fly over half the country to play these games - not to mention all the other sports programs having to do same - just to support all this new "exposure".

To each his own but I think it's all set for TV's convenience, not your students or your fans.
This is pretty accurate.

ESPN can pick between the SBC or MAC OR WSOP reruns, darts, NASCAR talk shows, soccer, etc... to fill their mid week night schedule. which they did for YEARS. The darts and WSOP lost its luster. NBCSN and Fox took Nascar, hockey and soccer so ESPN stopped producing content on those sports.

That's why the SBC amd MAC have their Tuesday games.

FormerPokeCenter
October 5th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Kind of like Frisco? ;)

Some people consider the Dallas Metropolitan area a destination city...

And some people think playing in the New Orleans Bowl is college football's zenith...

Baldy
October 5th, 2015, 07:59 PM

It's no more abusive that ESPN forcing the teams in the FCS playoffs to play on a Friday night...if it's the game they choose to broadcast. The truth is most every team is FCS would jump through any and every hoop to have a Thursday or Tuesday or Friday night game broadcast on an ESPN platform. Say what you will, but at least ESPN puts Sun Belt and MAC games on the air. It's a shame too because FCS could be a great brand. Like it used to be.

It doesn't matter what some on here say. The "exposure" is monumentally more in the lowly Slum Belt than it ever was for us in FCS. App fans will tell you the same thing, just like Coastal will in a year or two.

However, it's not just about TV, ESPN, or exposure. Neither us nor App fit any longer. We plateaued in the SoCon and in FCS. We were able to top out at 18.5K average attendance in FCS. Now, even in the dreaded Sun Belt, we are averaging over 24K. Compare that to Chatty. They lead the SoCon in attendance averaging just over 10K. Even though it's costing the "boosters" much more for the privilege to purchase season tickets and parking, we are seeing season ticket sales we haven't had since the beginning back when Erk was on the sideline. In reality, it's a move we should have made 15-20 years ago.

Sitting Bull
October 6th, 2015, 05:15 AM
It's no more abusive that ESPN forcing the teams in the FCS playoffs to play on a Friday night...if it's the game they choose to broadcast. The truth is most every team is FCS would jump through any and every hoop to have a Thursday or Tuesday or Friday night game broadcast on an ESPN platform. Say what you will, but at least ESPN puts Sun Belt and MAC games on the air. It's a shame too because FCS could be a great brand. Like it used to be.

However, it's not just about TV, ESPN, or exposure. Neither us nor App fit any longer. We plateaued in the SoCon and in FCS. We were able to top out at 18.5K average attendance in FCS.

First, I don't have any problem with GSouth and your move. Fine by me.
Second, these weeknight games are ridiculous. Have you seen these games? Some have less than 2,000 people and the band in attendance. The truth is most FCS schools don't need the money that bad and have many of their games on TV over the weekend. W&M has 7 of 11 on TV this Fall, all on Saturdays. If it weren't for the money these G5 teams need to try and keep up, they wouldn't move their games either.
Three: FCS is a great brand - after the NDSU/Montana showcase, probably as good as ever. The power has moved from south to west.
Four: I'm not sure how many So Con titles you won in the last 10 years, but you were a dominant team with a great winning tradition. So were UMass and Idaho when they moved on. Their current plateau is about as low as it gets. They draw smaller crowds and are have moved on to punching bag status. Let's hope you guys do better.

Reality is only a few teams can really make the jump and be really successful at it. I put UConn, Boise, Marshall and Central Florida in that small group.

To me, all the others still look like FCS teams masquerading as something they're not, a big time program and they are making big sacrifices in the process.

AshevilleApp2
October 6th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Some people consider the Dallas Metropolitan area a destination city...

And some people think playing in the New Orleans Bowl is college football's zenith...

I've been to Dallas. It ain't a destination, its a place to escape from.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2015, 10:54 AM
First, I don't have any problem with GSouth and your move. Fine by me.
Second, these weeknight games are ridiculous. Have you seen these games? Some have less than 2,000 people and the band in attendance. The truth is most FCS schools don't need the money that bad and have many of their games on TV over the weekend. W&M has 7 of 11 on TV this Fall, all on Saturdays. If it weren't for the money these G5 teams need to try and keep up, they wouldn't move their games either.

We set the record for the largest regular-season crowd for our game against App last year. We had a pretty decent crowd for our Thursday game with Troy. It's not bad at all considering you see plenty of empty stadiums on weekday games for MAC and CUSA teams. And nobody moves up to make money. It's not a matter of needing money. Most of the G5 get pretty paltry payouts from TV.

Three: FCS is a great brand - after the NDSU/Montana showcase, probably as good as ever. The power has moved from south to west.

Don't know if I can agree with that. Sure NDSU-Montana definitely got good ratings, but this happens whenever you have two teams with large fan bases (see Georgia Southern-ODU 2012 or App-Montana 2009). Even if what you're saying is true, it's not like Georgia Southern and App can just join the MVFC or the Big Sky or the SLC. Like I have said before, if the fans of the current SoCon teams are happy with the way the league is now then who am I to judge but I don't want my team in the SoCon any longer and I'm not sure a lot of top FCS programs would want to be in the SoCon even if geography were no issue.

Four: I'm not sure how many So Con titles you won in the last 10 years, but you were a dominant team with a great winning tradition. So were UMass and Idaho when they moved on. Their current plateau is about as low as it gets. They draw smaller crowds and are have moved on to punching bag status. Let's hope you guys do better.

I think it's fair to say that Georgia Southern and App are more similar to Marshall than UMass. GSU, Marshall, and App are more consistently successful than pretty much any other team that moved up.

Reality is only a few teams can really make the jump and be really successful at it. I put UConn, Boise, Marshall and Central Florida in that small group.

To me, all the others still look like FCS teams masquerading as something they're not, a big time program and they are making big sacrifices in the process.

All of those except Boise are what I would call a flash in the pan. Aside from a few seasons with Blake Bortles UCF hasn't done much. UConn got one BCS bowl from being an automatic qualifier in a depleted AAC. And all the very best things Marshall did were right after they moved up and before the hammer came down for all of the violations. It's not realistic to replicate what Boise did (they are the clear outlier) but both Georgia Southern and App have flash in the pan potential I'd argue.

citdog
October 6th, 2015, 12:44 PM
We set the record for the largest regular-season crowd for our game against App last year. We had a pretty decent crowd for our Thursday game with Troy. It's not bad at all considering you see plenty of empty stadiums on weekday games for MAC and CUSA teams. And nobody moves up to make money. It's not a matter of needing money. Most of the G5 get pretty paltry payouts from TV.

Don't know if I can agree with that. Sure NDSU-Montana definitely got good ratings, but this happens whenever you have two teams with large fan bases (see Georgia Southern-ODU 2012 or App-Montana 2009). Even if what you're saying is true, it's not like Georgia Southern and App can just join the MVFC or the Big Sky or the SLC. Like I have said before, if the fans of the current SoCon teams are happy with the way the league is now then who am I to judge but I don't want my team in the SoCon any longer and I'm not sure a lot of top FCS programs would want to be in the SoCon even if geography were no issue.

I think it's fair to say that Georgia Southern and App are more similar to Marshall than UMass. GSU, Marshall, and App are more consistently successful than pretty much any other team that moved up.

All of those except Boise are what I would call a flash in the pan. Aside from a few seasons with Blake Bortles UCF hasn't done much. UConn got one BCS bowl from being an automatic qualifier in a depleted AAC. And all the very best things Marshall did were right after they moved up and before the hammer came down for all of the violations. It's not realistic to replicate what Boise did (they are the clear outlier) but both Georgia Southern and App have flash in the pan potential I'd argue.

we are quite happy to have gotten rid of schools that had no business in our league to begin with. now if wcu will just go somewhere...ANYWHERE we will have a good league of like minded schools.

DoWe
October 6th, 2015, 04:33 PM
we are quite happy to have gotten rid of schools that had no business in our league to begin with. now if wcu will just go somewhere...ANYWHERE we will have a good league of like minded schools.
I doubt any SoCon member institutions support you, or your weird-ass way of thinking.

citdog
October 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I doubt any SoCon member institutions support you, or your weird-ass way of thinking.

do you???

ursus arctos horribilis
October 6th, 2015, 04:41 PM
do you???

Fix your phone.

DoWe
October 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM
do you???
OK, I will play along. Yes, I do.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Here's an interesting look at the SBC's performance in their FBS OOC games. There are 7 teams in the SBC that have 1 or less FBS OOC win since the start of 2013. xeyebrowx

4 - South Alabama (SDSU 2015, Kent State 2014, Tulane 2013, Kent State 2013)
3 - Texas State (Tulsa 2014, USM 2013, Wyoming 2013)
2 - Appalachian State (Old Dominion 2015, Wyoming 2015)
2 - Louisiana Monroe (Wake Forest 2014, Wake Forest 2013)
1 - Arkansas State (Utah State 2014)
1 - Georgia Southern (Western Michigan 2015)
1 - Louisiana Lafayette (Akron 2013)
1 - Troy (UAB 2013)
0 - Georgia State
0 - Idaho
0 - NMSU

apaladin
October 6th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Here's an interesting look at the SBC's performance in their FBS OOC games. There are 7 teams in the SBC that have 1 or less FBS OOC win since the start of 2013. xeyebrowx

1 - Troy (UAB 2013)
0 - Georgia State
0 - Idaho
0 - NMSU

.......and zero quality wins!!!

Baldy
October 7th, 2015, 06:17 AM

4 - South Alabama (SDSU 2015, Kent State 2014, Tulane 2013, Kent State 2013)http://www.anygivensaturday.com/clear.gif Reply With Quote (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2262462)
1 - Troy (UAB 2013)
0 - Georgia State
0 - Idaho
0 - NMSU

Temple/Lehigh fan...don't forget to cite your sources. xeyebrowx

Sitting Bull
October 7th, 2015, 06:36 AM
We set the record for the largest regular-season crowd for our game against App last year. We had a pretty decent crowd for our Thursday game with Troy. It's not bad at all considering you see plenty of empty stadiums on weekday games for MAC and CUSA teams. And nobody moves up to make money. It's not a matter of needing money. Most of the G5 get pretty paltry payouts from TV{Quote}

I think time will tell on whether the move really provides a huge groundswell of new support. Much will depend on whether you can maintain a winning program, year after year.

{Quote}Don't know if I can agree with that. Sure NDSU-Montana definitely got good ratings, but this happens whenever you have two teams with large fan bases (see Georgia Southern-ODU 2012 or App-Montana 2009). Even if what you're saying is true, it's not like Georgia Southern and App can just join the MVFC or the Big Sky or the SLC. Like I have said before, if the fans of the current SoCon teams are happy with the way the league is now then who am I to judge but I don't want my team in the SoCon any longer and I'm not sure a lot of top FCS programs would want to be in the SoCon even if geography were no issue {Quote}

Teams have moved for 20 years and FCS finds ways to inject new blood. I can understand you may think it is diluted now that you have moved out - I just don't see that as he case. There was a time when GSU was almost at NDSU levels in FCS - the last 10 years, it wasn't a name you saw in the Champiosnhip game. FCS will be just fine.

{Quote}I think it's fair to say that Georgia Southern and App are more similar to Marshall than UMass. GSU, Marshall, and App are more consistently successful than pretty much any other team that moved up{Quote}

I tend to agree there - but how much more like Marshall will be the key. They came into the MAC and immediately dominated.

{Quote}All of those except Boise are what I would call a flash in the pan. Aside from a few seasons with Blake Bortles UCF hasn't done much. UConn got one BCS bowl from being an automatic qualifier in a depleted AAC. And all the very best things Marshall did were right after they moved up and before the hammer came down for all of the violations. It's not realistic to replicate what Boise did (they are the clear outlier) but both Georgia Southern and App have flash in the pan potential I'd argue.

The factor helping the four mentioned - Boise, UConn and UCF more so than Marshall - is they reside in fairly large metro areas that are not dominated by pro football. They pull in a lot of local support. That's in part how UConn and UCF both landed in the AAC, the true power conference outside the P5. ODU has same potential in Norfolk which is why I think they will eventually be successful in this. Most of the other trade-ups are rural and really dependent on their own fan base. I can't see a lot of evidence out there that a team in this position, very successful in FCS, suddenly attracts scores of new fans moving to FBS. And there is no mistaking, the price tag to play is significantly higher (and increasing).

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 07:14 AM

1 - Troy (UAB 2013)
0 - Georgia State
0 - Idaho
0 - NMSU

Honest question here. Why is this so important to you?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Honest question here. Why is this so important to you?

I obviously have a vested interest in the G5. Given Temple's travels over the last decade I've paid more attention to what goes on in the various FBS conferences, especially the G5. I still pay close attention to the MAC since Temple left. UMass's and JMU's lukewarm reaction to the SBC's "feelers" is interesting given what UMass has gone through and JMU's identity crisis.

Plus you add in my interest in FCS and the move-ups and how it all relates...

Baldy
October 7th, 2015, 08:05 AM
The factor helping the four mentioned - Boise, UConn and UCF more so than Marshall - is they reside in fairly large metro areas that are not dominated by pro football. They pull in a lot of local support. That's in part how UConn and UCF both landed in the AAC, the true power conference outside the P5. ODU has same potential in Norfolk which is why I think they will eventually be successful in this. Most of the other trade-ups are rural and really dependent on their own fan base. I can't see a lot of evidence out there that a team in this position, very successful in FCS, suddenly attracts scores of new fans moving to FBS. And there is no mistaking, the price tag to play is significantly higher (and increasing).
Pro football? xlolx

More people go to Baton Rouge to see LSU than go to the Superdome to see the Saints. Same thing for the Falcons and UGA, Jaguars and UF or FSU, U of Tennessee and the Titans, etc.
The biggest obstacles for the teams who move up aren't the pros, it's the other college teams.

For every UConn (jury still out) or UCF I can give you an FIU, FAU, Georgia State, North Texas, etc. So-called "big market" teams who are in the process of failing.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2015, 09:15 AM

If media market was all it took to build a program and fan base then Tulane, Rice, UAB, FIU, FAU, North Texas, UTSA, SMU, UTEP, among others would be better than they are. App State already has consistent attendance numbers that are ahead of much of the G5 and Georgia Southern's seems to be slowly getting there. Both are clearly playing better football than any other recent move-up. Both teams are in towns under 30,000 people.

I obviously have a vested interest in the G5. Given Temple's travels over the last decade I've paid more attention to what goes on in the various FBS conferences, especially the G5. I still pay close attention to the MAC since Temple left. UMass's and JMU's lukewarm reaction to the SBC's "feelers" is interesting given what UMass has gone through and JMU's identity crisis.

Here's what I don't get about your view of the the G5…you keep talking about how far ahead the AAC is ahead of the Sun Belt in terms of perception and has a national brand yadda yadda yadda but say the Sun Belt is going to hurt the G5 by bringing in Coastal and doing as poorly as they do out of conference. Which is it? Is the G5 perceived as all being the same to the casual fan or not?

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2015, 09:22 AM
If media market was all it took to build a program and fan base then Tulane, Rice, UAB, FIU, FAU, North Texas, UTSA, SMU, UTEP, among others would be better than they are. App State already has consistent attendance numbers that are ahead of much of the G5 and Georgia Southern's seems to be slowly getting there. Both are clearly playing better football than any other recent move-up. Both teams are in towns under 30,000 people.

Here's what I don't get about your view of the the G5…you keep talking about how far ahead the AAC is ahead of the Sun Belt in terms of perception and has a national brand yadda yadda yadda but say the Sun Belt is going to hurt the G5 by bringing in Coastal and doing as poorly as they do out of conference. Which is it? Is the G5 perceived as all being the same to the casual fan or not?

Other than media market, how did Georgia State make it into the Sunbelt? (don't give me a basketball excuse)

Baldy
October 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Other than media market, how did Georgia State make it into the Sunbelt? (don't give me a basketball excuse)
Their media market the only reason they made it. Just like the only reason F_U, UTSA, ODU, etc. made it into CUSA.

Georgia Southern brings way more fans out of the Atlanta media market than Perimeter State. A fact the State fans have trouble wrapping around their pointy little heads.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM

None that I know of.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 09:47 AM

Thanks. I still sense some bitterness about being cast into the G5 . Best of luck though!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I still sense some bitterness about being cast into the G5 . Best of luck though!

No bitterness what so ever. There is simply a wide gap that exists within the G5 that I don't believe is healthy for FBS. When there's teams in other leagues that can't beat other FBS schools it raises eyebrows.

Temple is a basketball school first. As long as that interest is protected I'm good. The added success in football is nothing more than a huge bonus at this point. We simply can't afford to be terrible in pigskin, early 2000's bad. We've done a good of avoiding that for the last ten years. One terrible season, 2013, has been overcome.

I was content with the A10 bball/MAC football setup before the AAC came along....

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 10:08 AM
No bitterness what so ever. There is simply a wide gap that exists within the G5 that I don't believe is healthy for FBS. When there's teams in other leagues that can't beat other FBS schools it raises eyebrows.

Temple is a basketball school first. As long as that interest is protected I'm good. The added success in football is nothing more than a huge bonus at this point. We simply can't afford to be terrible in pigskin, early 2000's bad. We've done a good of avoiding that for the last ten years. One terrible season, 2013, has been overcome.

I was content with the A10 bball/MAC football setup before the AAC came along....

Things and fortunes change. I hope with the addition of the new teams, that the perception of the SBC does as well. Also hope to play Temple someday.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2015, 10:15 AM

1 - Troy (UAB 2013)
0 - Georgia State
0 - Idaho
0 - NMSU

A lot of these teams are still taking payday games which may be your point here. So they aren't playing peer OOC institutions. They are still in a place financially just like the rest of us in FCS still where they need a payday game so they play the P5 teams and they still cannot compete.

Pinnum
October 7th, 2015, 10:41 AM

I think there is a huge difference in prestige between the Sun Belt and the American. Look at the AP poll right now and you have #28 Houston, #29 Temple, #30 Memphis, and #31 Navy all representing the American. Cincinnati and South Florida had some years not too long removed as powers while in the BCS conference Big East. The American is probably the best at scheduling home games against the P5s.

Not all G5s are the same. Some general sports fans still are not clear on which teams are in the G5 and this confusion mainly is centered on the American.

Cocky
October 7th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Members wanted someone to pad the win column.

Cocky
October 7th, 2015, 10:58 AM
A lot of these teams are still taking payday games which may be your point here. So they aren't playing peer OOC institutions. They are still in a place financially just like the rest of us in FCS still where they need a payday game so they play the P5 teams and they still cannot compete.
You have 2 P5 wins (Wake). FCS has more P5 wins.

dbackjon
October 7th, 2015, 11:37 AM

That's why.

I always knew there was something between you and the Cap'n going on.

dbackjon
October 7th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Temple/Lehigh fan...don't forget to cite your sources. xeyebrowx

It looks very similar to this:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-751950.html xcoffeex

centennial
October 7th, 2015, 11:50 AM
It looks very similar to this:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-751950.html xcoffeex
Sue them for copying our material

Baldy
October 7th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Sue them for copying our material
Ummm it's the other way around. Temple/Lehigh fan was using someone else's material.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Ummm it's the other way around. Temple/Lehigh fan was using someone else's material.

Since when do you have to cite football game results? I must have missed that bibliography day in school.....

Baldy
October 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Things and fortunes change. I hope with the addition of the new teams, that the perception of the SBC does as well. Also hope to play Temple someday.
Would love to as well. I checked. Temple has openings in 2017 and 2018, just like we do. A home and home would be nice. xnodx

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Delusions of Sun Belt grandeur aside...any chance would Georgia Southern or App St consider a home/home series with NDSU?

McNeese75
October 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Delusions of Sun Belt grandeur aside...any chance would Georgia Southern or App St consider a home/home series with NDSU?

Sunbelt is not going to allow them to lower themselves to play in an FCS venue

dbackjon
October 7th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Sunbelt is not going to allow them to lower themselves to get beat in an FCS venue

FTFY

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Sunbelt is not going to allow them to lower themselves to play in an FCS venue

How about they stop losing to FCS programs in their own venues first?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Would love to as well. I checked. Temple has openings in 2017 and 2018, just like we do. A home and home would be nice. xnodx

Maybe if you toss in a bball game in Philly? I doubt you'll see Temple schedule any home games against SBC teams in the near future. Our attendance is dicey as it and GSU does not resonate with Philly fans. That's not a shot at GSU but a reality. Neither does Tulane or Tulsa but we can't pick and choose our conference games.

McNeese75
October 7th, 2015, 02:08 PM
How about they stop losing to FCS programs in their own venues first?

Don't shoot the messenger ;) I just know the Vermillion vermin down the road will never risk losing at McNeese again in Lake Charles. We will travel 75 miles East next year and take em to the woodshed in their own house.

centennial
October 7th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I would be more afraid of GSo than App. They would give us a good challenge. The rest of the teams- we might as well play the Big Sky, CAA. There is no need to embarrass the Sun Belt- ULL, Southern Alabama, Texas State would lose by 2-4 touchdowns.

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2015, 03:31 PM
I would be more afraid of GSo than App. They would give us a good challenge. The rest of the teams- we might as well play the Big Sky, CAA. There is no need to embarrass the Sun Belt- ULL, Southern Alabama, Texas State would lose by 2-4 touchdowns.

Oh....I have no interest in the other Sunbelt schools. I would lean towards some MAC schools after that (Northern Ill.....)

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 03:32 PM

It would be fun, but not likely in my guesstimation. I don't recall an FBS school ever playing in Boone during our time in FCS. I think App is more likely to look at CUSA teams, and hopefully East Carolina as future home and homes. Also, I did hear that Wake has agreed to renew the series with games in Boone, for what that is worth.

Baldy
October 7th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Maybe if you toss in a bball game in Philly? I doubt you'll see Temple schedule any home games against SBC teams in the near future. Our attendance is dicey as it and GSU does not resonate with Philly fans. That's not a shot at GSU but a reality. Neither does Tulane or Tulsa but we can't pick and choose our conference games.
Well, you do have a game scheduled with Idaho in 2020, plus a home and home with Charlotte. Just sayin...

Sitting Bull
October 7th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Pro football? xlolx

More people go to Baton Rouge to see LSU than go to the Superdome to see the Saints. Same thing for the Falcons and UGA, Jaguars and UF or FSU, U of Tennessee and the Titans, etc.
The biggest obstacles for the teams who move up aren't the pros, it's the other college teams.

For every UConn (jury still out) or UCF I can give you an FIU, FAU, Georgia State, North Texas, etc. So-called "big market" teams who are in the process of failing.

Agree, should have defined better - Pro football or a nearby dominant college team. Idaho doesn't have either. CT doesn't have either. Orlando is certainly big enough and UCF is the largest enrollment school in the country (or close). Those UConn games at the new stadium the State built for them in Hartford (30 miles from their campus) - those aren't all UConn grads/students going to the games - they are padded by local sports fans in Hartford. Hartford has near 1 Million in their metro market. Same for Boise, though they have about half the population of Hartford. If you have been to either city, it's easy to see how these two programs were ripe to develop. Winning doesn't hurt though in UConn's case, they were a mediocre CAA team when they moved up.

On the pro side though, I can assure you if the Patriots had moved to Hartford from Boston as they were threatening to 10 years ago, no way UConn would have moved up or be getting the support they do in Hartford. It all started with the State building a football stadium in Hartford. Maybe that's more of a northeast issue - I agree 100% that in the South it's college - and in that case, the best anyone can get in most southern states is 3rd rate status - many cases, less than that.

That said, I did not claim coming just from a major market was the factor - it was a success factor for several who had zero competition. All those you list have tons of competition for the average fan.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 06:26 PM

But you play UNCC? xeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 06:30 PM

Charlotte is a former A10 hoops member. It's a name Temple fans are familiar with. In fact, that game could have been scheduled while we were still conference mates.....

I have no idea about Idaho. My guess is we needed a game when Boise State/TCU backed out of the AAC/Big East. There's no other reason to head to Moscow, ID....

Libertine
October 7th, 2015, 06:39 PM
So, hey, this is still going. Yay, Liberty.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 06:42 PM
So, hey, this is still going. Yay, Liberty.

Huh? xlolx

DoWe
October 7th, 2015, 08:17 PM

Charlotte is a former A10 hoops member. It's a name Temple fans are familiar with. In fact, that game could have been scheduled while we were still conference mates.....

I have no idea about Idaho. My guess is we needed a game when Boise State/TCU backed out of the AAC/Big East. There's no other reason to head to Moscow, ID....
Nice fail there owl xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Nice fail there owl xnodx

How's that a fail? They asked about Charlotte and I said we were conference mates with the 49ers for nearly a decade. Our sports teams competed against each other in everything except football. I don't know what else to say.

I'm trying to find out how the Idaho game came about. It was not a home and home or some sort of contract deal. It was a one off trip to Idaho. There had to be a reason for that and the logical one is due to the conference realignment issues that existed with the formation of the Big East/AAC or Idaho's issues with the WAC/SBC move.

AshevilleApp2
October 7th, 2015, 08:40 PM
How's that a fail? They asked about Charlotte and I said we were conference mates with the 49ers for nearly a decade. Our sports teams competed against each other in everything except football. I don't know what else to say.

I'm trying to find out how the Idaho game came about. It was not a home and home or some sort of contract deal. It was a one off trip to Idaho. There had to be a reason for that and the logical one is due to the conference realignment issues that existed with the formation of the Big East/AAC or Idaho's issues with the WAC/SBC move.

I'm fat, but I ain't plural. xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I'm fat, but I ain't plural. xnodx

Baldy mentioned it to. Apparently Idaho is making a return trip to Philly in 2020. When it happens seven years will have passed since our trip to Moscow. From what I gather the 2013 game wasn't schedule until in late 2012, early 2013. Given the how the two games are going to work makes me think this was thrown together out of need rather than want. I was living in Montana at that time and nearly drove to Moscow for the game.

The AAC and SBC do not play many games against each other. There is one this week ironically, ULL-Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane are a middling but not terrible AAC team while ULL holds a similar stature, at least this year, in the SBC.

It would be interesting if the SBC played some of the better FCS teams from the CAA, SoCon and MVFC. The better MAC schools have not shied away from top level FCS teams over the years. Neither has the AAC. With that line of thinking comes the legit chance of losing though. Temple, SMU and UConn have all been there recently.

DoWe
October 7th, 2015, 09:08 PM
It would be interesting if the SBC played some of the better FCS teams from the CAA, SoCon and MVFC. The better MAC schools have not shied away from top level FCS teams over the years. Neither has the AAC. With that line of thinking comes the legit chance of losing though. Temple, SMU and UConn have all been there recently.
Sorry, they have bills to pay to keep them from being the miserable financial failures you hope they will be.