PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State University Stadium Preliminary Assessment

BLUE TIGER
December 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Jackson State University
Stadium Preliminary Assessment
Jackson, MS

In 2005, Brailsford & Dunlavey was selected by Jackson State University to develop a case statement to examine options for improving the University's football program while maximizing the positive impacts to the University and community. The case statement was designed to be a preliminary analysis that would serve as the basis for more detailed University and economic impact analyses. At the time, the school played its home football games and held its graduation ceremony at Veterans Memorial Stadium, a state-owned and -managed facility located five miles from the University's campus. Football has a strong tradition at JSU, and the University is consistently ranked high among all Division I-AA programs with respect to attendance. However, the current facility agreement severely hampered the University's ability to convert this enthusiasm into additional revenue.

http://www.facilityplanners.com/portfolio/jackson_state_u/stadium05/default.aspx?s=p

BLUE TIGER
December 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5735027 (CLICK ON RED CAMERA FOR VIDEO)

Possible J.S.U. Stadium Site Unveiled

By David Kenney
[email protected]

Recently there has been some discussion among Jackson State and city officials about building a stadium for the Tigers.

There has been talk of building the stadium adjacent to the J.S.U. campus, and now a map has surfaced that may pinpoint where the building is planned.

The map of the proposed stadium was recently published in the Jacksonian magazine, on the campus master development plan.

Located just east of the intersection of Terry Road and Lynch Street, it would swallow several city blocks, which is no problem for the residents we talked to.

Earle Street resident, Ozzie Stapleton says, "I'm a big J.S.U. fan. I own a personal care home. I'm licensed by the state and everything but I don't have no problem with moving; whatever I can do to better myself and the university I'm with it."

BLUE TIGER
December 4th, 2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...0387/1189/NEWS

November 30, 2006

Study makes compelling case for JSU's own football stadium

By Eric Stringfellow
[email protected]

The Tel Com Center and the Metro Parkway are already on line while construction of the convention center and the King Edward project is close. Development on downtown Jackson's western edge, for too long just lip service, is becoming reality and could get a surprise boost.

A major link between downtown and Jackson State University should be a new football stadium, which would attract traffic and be an economic development driver for the university and community, according to a firm the university hired to prepare a case statement for the stadium.

The facility would be equipped with 15 suites as well as standard amenities like a press box, locker rooms and office space. The stadium, expected to cost about $80 million, would seat 35,000 to 40,000 people.

Such a facility would be great for the city and the university, although some JSU supporters will frown at its proposed capacity. These concerns, however, are more emotional than logical.

BLUE TIGER
December 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
December 3, 2006

UMC wishes may bolster chances for JSU stadium

Hospital could build research park on site of Memorial Stadium

By Laura Hipp
[email protected]

Three times Jackson State University asked the Legislature for a new stadium closer to campus.

Three times the Tigers were told no.

For the fourth try, they're going back with a little more leverage - a medical research park for the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

"These two projects together would be the largest economic development project the city of Jackson has seen," said state Rep. John Reeves, R-Jackson. "I think the time has come. I think the support is there."

The school recently announced a desire for an $80 million stadium on city property stretching from Terry Road and Gallatin Street to the edge of the Lynch Street campus in west Jackson. It would seat 40,000. Capacity at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium - the Tigers' present home - is 60,000, but it rarely is full.

REEVES' PROPOSAL

Rep. John Reeves' proposal would demolish Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium for $5.4 million and give millions to the University of Mississippi Medical Center for a research park on the stadium site. Jackson State University would get a stadium and parking facilities. Total cost has not been set.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...0387/1001/NEWS

MplsBison
December 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM
That stadium is about what Louisville just built not too long ago.

Is Jackson looking to follow in the footsteps of other top metropolitan universities (Memphis, Louisville, UA Birmingham, etc.)?

MACHIAVELLI
December 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
The facility would be equipped with 15 suites as well as standard amenities like a press box, locker rooms and office space. The stadium, expected to cost about $80 million, would seat 35,000 to 40,000 people.

Such a facility would be great for the city and the university, although some JSU supporters will frown at its proposed capacity. These concerns, however, are more emotional than logical.

Why frown, 40,00 is way more than they will get in that stadium on a regular basis. I hope you get the stadium.

BLUE TIGER
December 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
That stadium is about what Louisville just built not too long ago.

Is Jackson looking to follow in the footsteps of other top metropolitan universities (Memphis, Louisville, UA Birmingham, etc.)?

Jackson is on the right track and its changing for the best. I'm not sure what others are doing but Jackson is making a strong push to get better.

BLUE TIGER
December 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Why frown. 40,00 is way more than they will get in that stadium on a regualr basis. I hope you get the stadium.

I agree that 40k is more than what we need but, its also perfect because the tickets will have more value. There will be sellouts for the Alcorn, Southern, Valley and possibly Grambling game. The only way the Grambling game would have a chance to sellout is if we schedule them for homecoming. This $80 million dollar stadium is going to be the premier stadium of 1AA.

MACHIAVELLI
December 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I agree that 40k is more than what we need but, its also perfect because the tickets will have more value. There will be sellouts for the Alcorn, Southern, Valley and possibly Grambling game. The only way the Grambling game would have a chance to sellout is if we schedule them for homecoming. This $80 million dollar stadium is going to be the premier stadium of 1AA.

jsu won't schedule the ICON for homecoming like they did in 2005. It was a shame to set Bell up for that slaughter. The valley/jsu game won't be a sell out for years to come, unless the new stadium is less that 20k. The game vs the ICON in 2005 was the highest attended of the year for jackson. I hope jsu gets the stadium, but I look for some fuzzy accounting when it comes to attendance.

Mr. Tiger
December 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Actually 40,000 with room for temporary seats is about the right size. Jackson State's attendance figure counts at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium have been questionable to say the least. At 40,000, two of our games, Alcorn and Southern, this year would have still been sellouts.

MACHIAVELLI
December 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Actually 40,000 with room for temporary seats is about the right size. Jackson State's attendance figure counts at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium have been questionable to say the least. At 40,000, two of our games, Alcorn and Southern, this year would have still been sellouts.

Questionable in Jacksons favor. A campus stadium may put an end to the Capitol City Classic.

jstate83
December 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM
jsu won't schedule the ICON for homecoming like they did in 2005. It was a shame to set Bell up for that slaughter. The valley/jsu game won't be a sell out for years to come, unless the new stadium is less that 20k. The game vs the ICON in 2005 was the highest attended of the year for jackson. I hope jsu gets the stadium, but I look for some fuzzy accounting when it comes to attendance.

Mack ...................You bout the funniest person to post about JSU on any website except the SWACPAGE.
I wonder why you never post this kind of bullshat on the SWACPAGE.
Heck...............I wonder why you never post there.xlolx

The so-called I-CON has NEVER...........EVER............CAME close to being our highest non-Bell year draw and you know it.xlolx

And if I were you "MR. Always negative on anything JSU", I WOULD NOT TALK ABOUT ACCOUNTING
.....................KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN' BOUT. xlolx

Grambling State University
09/02/06 Hampton Neutral 19175
09/09/06 Alabama A&M Away 12500
09/16/06 Houston Away 27302
09/30/06 Prairie View Neutral 48220
10/07/06 Mississippi Val. Away 6174
10/14/06 Ark.-Pine Bluff Neutral 30216
10/21/06 Jackson St. Home 18883
10/28/06 Texas Southern Away 7835
11/04/06 Alabama St. Home 18420
11/25/06 Southern U. Neutral 47136
12/02/06 Alcorn St. Home 2383

Total Home Attendance: 39686
Total Away Attendance: 53811
Total Neutral Site Attendance: 144747

Jackson State University.........1st year after 3 year self imposed boycott of Bell.
09/02/06 Paul Quinn Home 11550
09/16/06 Tennessee St. Neutral 53441
09/23/06 Mississippi Val. Home 28718
09/30/06 Texas Southern Away 4687
10/07/06 Alabama St. Neutral 15681
10/14/06 Southern U. Home 40000
10/21/06 Grambling Away 18883
10/28/06 Ark.-Pine Bluff Away 6556
11/04/06 Alabama A&M Home 8583
11/11/06 Prairie View Home 12721
11/18/06 Alcorn St. Neutral 45000 ............ Memorial(classic)

Total Home Attendance: 101572
Total Away Attendance: 30126
Total Neutral Site Attendance: 114122

As you were saying.
Look at the home attendance.
Our's don't even count against Alcorn because even though it was our game in our stadium, it's a classic so it's considered a neutral site. xlolx

The I-con has to go on the road like homeless people cause ya'll can't draw flies in Rustin.

jstate83
December 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Actually 40,000 with room for temporary seats is about the right size. Jackson State's attendance figure counts at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium have been questionable to say the least. xlolx At 40,000, two of our games, Alcorn and Southern, this year would have still been sellouts.xlolx

You know Mach Mr. Tiger.xlolx
He latched onto the only so-called negative in the story and tried to make an issue out of it.xidiotx

He really don't know what's going on or being planned here.

jstate83
December 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Questionable in Jacksons favor. A campus stadium may put an end to the Capitol City Classic.

May put an end to it?
That sucka will die the day our stadium is finished and Memorial start's to fall.xlolx
Alcorn will never travel every year for a game on JSU's Campus.xlolx

That's just common sense unless the city of Jackson and JSU comes up with a shat load of cash or redue the CCC Money Split in their favor.
YOU KNOW THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN THOUGH.

We don't mind traveling to the Reservation every other year.

MACHIAVELLI
December 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
The so-called I-CON has NEVER...........EVER............CAME close to being our highest non-Bell year draw and you know it.xlolx

Why do you always try to turn something into a ICON vs jsu thing. What I post is fact, that can be backed up with proof, like the following: In 2001, a non Bell year. The ICON vs jsu game in jackson had more than jsu homecoming in that same year. :read:

jstate83
December 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Why do you always try to turn something into a ICON vs jsu thing. What I post is fact, that can be backed up with proof, like the following: In 2001, a non Bell year. The ICON vs jsu game in jackson had more than jsu homecoming in that same year. :read:

Because everytime you post, you got a negative JSU slant on everything.

And your facts are off....................Just like your prediction it will take years for the JSU/Valley game to get back above 20,000 in attendance.

We got 28,000 plus at that game this year. xlolx

And please google up the stats from 2001 showing the GSU game had more people than JSU Homecomming in that same year with HUGHS as the head coach.
The only way that happened if if GRAM was scheduled for homecomming 2001. :lol:

MACHIAVELLI
December 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Because everytime you post, you got a negative JSU slant on everything.

And your facts are off....................Just like your prediction it will take years for the JSU/Valley game to get back above 20,000 in attendance.

We got 28,000 plus at that game this year. xlolx

And please google up the stats from 2001 showing the GSU game had more people than JSU Homecomming in that same year with HUGHS as the head coach.
The only way that happened if if GRAM was scheduled for homecomming 2001. :lol:

I could careless about jackson. But when people try to post untruths I will correct them. Dude this is the internet, I have posted facts, when you are trying to pass off your opinion was fact. The ICON vs jsu game in jackson DID have more than jsu homecoming in 2001. Bell was not the coach in 2001.

Oct. 6th 2001: Alabama st vs jsu..21,617 (JSU homecoming)
Oct. 20th 2001: THE ICON vs jsu...25,600

Stop trying to divert with attempted levity. My statement concerning the mvsu and jsu was regarding the 2007 years and beyond, because mvsu had it best teams in years and still couldn't beat jsu even the 3 years that Bell was the coach.

Don't let the facts get in the way of the truth.
JSU 2001 season (http://swac.org/01-02/football/stats/JSU.HTM)

jstate83
December 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I could careless about jackson. But when people try to post untruths I will correct them. Dude this is the internet, I have posted facts, when you are trying to pass off your opinion was fact. The ICON vs jsu game in jackson DID have more than jsu homecoming in 2001. Bell was not the coach in 2001.

Oct. 6th 2001: Alabama st vs jsu..21,617 (JSU homecoming)
Oct. 20th 2001: THE ICON vs jsu...25,600

Stop trying to divert with attempted levity. My statement concerning the mvsu and jsu was regarding the 2007 years and beyond, because mvsu had it best teams in years and still couldn't beat jsu even the 3 years that Bell was the coach.

Don't let the facts get in the way of the truth.
JSU 2001 season (http://swac.org/01-02/football/stats/JSU.HTM)

OH great.........:rolleyes: .............Bamma St.xlolx
OK.........:smiley_wi .......I'll give you that.......:smiley_wi ........3 freakin' weeks after 9-11. xlolx

NOBODY was traveling then. xlolx
And Bamma don't travel under normal circumstances and you know it.
Heck.....................19 of those 21000 was probably us.
Older people here was scared to go near a stadium fearing what might happen next.

You can do better Mach than to bring up a "slanted, terrorist induced " stat like that.

Don't let the TRUTH get in YOUR way.xlolx

And concerning JSU/MVSU....................That game has pulled them in for decades in this state.
Even back when Valley was WINLESS against us before Totten and Rice to the tune of 29 wins-0 losses JSU.
It pulled them in DURING Totten and Rice and after.
It pulled them in when Valley had the N.W.A. featuring Ashley Ambros.
It pulled them in the last 12 years we have kicked their arses excluding the Bell years.................And that was because WE, JSU, decided NOT to watch that A-Hole learn to coach. xlolx
Don't try to tell me my history and I won't try to tell you bout yours. xlolx

BLUE TIGER
December 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I was talking to a buddy today and he said the entire stadium will have mounted plastic seats and backs. This is going to be one helluva football stadium. http://www.markstaar.com/product/80/390.html

MACHIAVELLI
December 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
OH great.........:rolleyes: .............Bamma St.xlolx
OK.........:smiley_wi .......I'll give you that.......:smiley_wi ........3 freakin' weeks after 9-11. xlolx

NOBODY was traveling then. xlolx
And Bamma don't travel under normal circumstances and you know it.
Heck.....................19 of those 21000 was probably us.
Older people here was scared to go near a stadium fearing what might happen next.

You can do better Mach than to bring up a "slanted, terrorist induced " stat like that.

Don't let the TRUTH get in YOUR way.xlolx

Don't try to tell me my history and I won't try to tell you bout yours. xlolx

So what I said was true. How about that. Yet you are trying to spin and exlpain away facts. So how many weeks did the old folks stay away from jacksons stadium, since you talked to them? I was at the bama st. vs jsu game in 2001. After 9-11 I was on a plane to Portland. Dude I've told you before...this is the internet...if it is out there ...someone will find it. You don't have the fan base that you want everybody to believe you have.

But the sad this is that I've said atleast twice in this thread that I hope jackson get the new stadium. But you see only what you want to see, that seems to be a theme with you.

jstate83
December 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
So what I said was true. How about that. Yet you are trying to spin and exlpain away facts. So how many weeks did the old folks stay away from jacksons stadium, since you talked to them? I was at the bama st. vs jsu game in 2001. After 9-11 I was on a plane to Portland. Dude I've told you before...this is the internet...if it is out there ...someone will find it. You don't have the fan base that you want everybody to believe you have.

But the sad this is that I've said atleast twice in this thread that I hope jackson get the new stadium. But you see only what you want to see, that seems to be a theme with you.

Ain't no spin here Mach.

You want everyone to believe that ICON mess.xlolx
Do you want me to tell you what the other conference members call the ICON and The WORD's Greatest........xlolx

So what you were on a plane to Portland after 9-11.
You should have done a comercial for the airline industry after 9-11.
Maybe their ridership would not have went south faster than Geese flying south for the winter.xlolx

Man .........................I don't know what it is with you.
You post all this crap on every board except your on conferences board because you know you would get eaten alive. xlolx
You alway's posting that you don't care about Jackson this, Jackson that, yet you post more about JSU than TT post about the SWAC. :nod:
The ICON actually had to go back 6 years to get some satisfaction. xlol:
And the saddest part is you actually think you are doing something with this mess.

According to that link..............People didn't come back til SU.
And even then it only garnered 30,000 for a JSU/SU game.

They came back for A&T..........35,742.
Then they came back for Alcorn............49,872.
If you the ICON............Why can't you every put those numbers up outside the B.C. or 1A opponent.xlolx

Mr. Tiger
December 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM

:rolleyes: You are joking I hope. The attendance count has NEVER been in our favor. And you don't want to talk about Grambling's home fan base. xlolx

jstate83
December 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
:rolleyes: You are joking I hope. The attendance count has NEVER been in our favor. And you don't want to talk about Grambling's home fan base. xlolx

Tiger..............this dude is something else.xlolx
It's like he's a JSU serial killer or something.xlolx

He don't post on the SWACPAGE.
He get cut up on the Meac page.

Now he over here with this non-sense.

You noticed he never bought that BS about JSU/VALLEY back up. xlolx
talking bout 2007 and beyond.xlolx

Footix
December 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
The new stadium is sweet. Kind of has the CCU feel to it. Coastal has made brick a dominant part of Brooks Stadium's design and the new field house will be in brick. Hopefully this project gets off the ground for you guys.

MACHIAVELLI
December 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
They came back for A&T..........35,742.
Then they came back for Alcorn............49,872.
If you the ICON............Why can't you every put those numbers up outside the B.C. or 1A opponent.xlolx

Our stadium holds 19,600 and our city population is about 6k.

MACHIAVELLI
December 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM
December 7, 2006

JSU should foot bill for own arena

So, Jackson State University wants its own on-campus stadium ("JSU officials lobbying for stadium on campus," Nov. 29)?

Well, JSU alumni and students should be prepared to open their checkbooks and foot the bill, rather than the citizens of Mississippi!

Veterans Memorial Stadium has just dumped a huge amount of money to improve facilities. What a huge waste of money it would be to change directions now and build a new stadium!

It appears that many leaders in Jackson feel it is a "right" for JSU to have an on-campus stadium of at least 50,000. Why? According to recent statistics, JSU's home attendance continues to fall and 50,000 seats can't even be filled!

In Hattiesburg, the University of Southern Mississippi is undergoing a building boom of athletic facilities. They are expanding their baseball stadium and adding skyboxes and upgrading their football stadium as well, all through private funds.

JSU should be required to do the same and raise the funds internally instead of waiting on another handout from taxpayers.

John Martineaux

Jackson
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...1009/OPINION04

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM
December 7, 2006

JSU should foot bill for own arena

So, Jackson State University wants its own on-campus stadium ("JSU officials lobbying for stadium on campus," Nov. 29)?

Well, JSU alumni and students should be prepared to open their checkbooks and foot the bill, rather than the citizens of Mississippi!

Veterans Memorial Stadium has just dumped a huge amount of money to improve facilities. What a huge waste of money it would be to change directions now and build a new stadium!

It appears that many leaders in Jackson feel it is a "right" for JSU to have an on-campus stadium of at least 50,000. Why? According to recent statistics, JSU's home attendance continues to fall and 50,000 seats can't even be filled!

In Hattiesburg, the University of Southern Mississippi is undergoing a building boom of athletic facilities. They are expanding their baseball stadium and adding skyboxes and upgrading their football stadium as well, all through private funds.

JSU should be required to do the same and raise the funds internally instead of waiting on another handout from taxpayers.

John Martineaux

Jackson
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...1009/OPINION04

Right On!!! Why should the poorest state in the union foot the Bill for an unessary luxury item like a satdium.

BLUE TIGER
December 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Right On!!! Why should the poorest state in the union foot the Bill for an unessary luxury item like a satdium.

http://www.blackmississippi.com/archives.html?catName=sports&id=120&fid=-1

Former Jackson State head football coach Dr. Roderick Paige (1964-68) coached the first Tiger game in Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in 1967. JSU’s alumni field, an on-campus facility, was torn down that year at the behest of state and local officials and with the understanding that the alumni field would be rebuilt somewhere on campus. The reason given for its dismantling was campus progress. The time lapse between then and now is 38 years, 38 football seasons and autumns, 13,870 days and seven different head coaches. Its mission has changed from a teacher college and a motto of “You Shall Know the Truth and the Truth Shall Make You Free” to a university with “An Urban Mission.”

The institution has embraced four presidents, Dr. John A Peoples to current Dr. Ronald Mason -- but no on-campus stadium has been erected to fulfill the declaration of the specified promise by the Mississippi legislature.

The Mississippi legislature, last year, commissioned Cooke, Douglass, Farr, Lemons, Ltd. to do a Memorial Stadium study. This investigator obtained a copy of that document. The cost of the needed improvements to Memorial Stadium to comply with current college and professional standards is estimated to be $32,464,200.00.

Of particular interest in this investigation was Option 3 of the proposed hypothesis.

Option 3 -- “An alternative to minor or major alterations and renovations to Mississippi Memorial Stadium is the construction of a new stadium facility on an undetermined site in the Jackson, MS metropolitan area to serve the needs of Jackson State University. The basis for this design is a facility which will initially seat approximately 30,000 spectators, but expand to 50,000 spectators in 10,000 seat increments. This facility would initially require 10,000 parking spaces with ultimate expansion to 17,000 spaces. Site requirements would be in the range of 190 to 210 acres.

“The facility would include a new playing field; stadium lighting; grandstands; press box; public facilities; retail sales facilities; team and office facilities; scoreboard systems and complete site development for Phase 1 construction. The stadium design shown herein for Phase 1 has a total seating capacity of 30,824, including 2,131 club level seats, 384 suite seats (16 suites), 150 press level seats, 585 handicapped and companion seats, plus 27,574 general grandstand seats.

“Total costs for Option 3 are estimated to be $59,532,800, of which $41,620,700 is a stadium construction cost, $12,500,000 is site development costs (exclusive of land and site utilities costs) and $5,412,000 is soft costs. The stadium construction costs translates to a per seat cost of $1,350.”

“They (legislature) made those improvements to Memorial Stadium to attract Southeastern Conference (SEC) games and the University of Southern Mississippi (USM) for playing intrastate historically white schools. They made the mistake of authorizing them to expand their on-campus stadiums, and by doing that, there was no incentive for those schools playing their games in the Jackson.

What is being done now to urge the Mississippi legislature to build a stadium for JSU as promised to its black citizenry should have been given validity and completed 30 years ago. The state has reneged on its promise and/or commitment.

The legislature and the governor could change JSU’s fortunes with the stroke of a pen. This innovation has widespread support among black and white taxpaying citizenry and should be expedited immediately -- any other rationale to the contrary is superfluous.

BLUE TIGER
December 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...0382/1001/NEWS

December 8, 2006

Legislators to push for state’s own burn center

Two state representatives will push legislation to establish a burn center in Mississippi after a fire Tuesday in Lee County left three small children and two adults fighting for their lives en route to a Georgia hospital two states away.

The state's only burn unit - the Mississippi Firefighters Memorial Burn Center in Greenville - closed its doors last summer over budget and staffing shortfalls after 33 years of operation.

Public Health Committee Chairman Steve Holland and Rep. Willie Bailey both told The Associated Press on Thursday they will introduce legislation this year to establish a burn unit at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

"It is a moral travesty in my opinion that there's not a burn center in the state of Mississippi. How many deaths do you have to roll out, or severe injuries, before you see the reality of that," said Holland, D-Plantersville.

The victims of Tuesday's fire were transported on three separate flights more than 400 miles to Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga., hospital spokeswoman Beth Frits said.

When the Mississippi burn center closed, agreements were made with units in surrounding states, and patients are accepted based on bed availability.

Frits said Thursday that Sinias Grice and Lanazia Hunt, both 2, Natetreuna Hunt, 3, and Carlitha Grice, 26, all were listed as critical but stable. She said Sophia Hunt, 25, was in serious but stable condition.

Calls reporting the fire came in just after 11 a.m. Tuesday, but it was nearly 12 hours later before the last of the patients had arrived at the Georgia hospital, officials said.

"I can't say enough good about the burn center in Georgia," said Lee County Fire Investigator Ed Fugitt. "But our people have to travel a great distance across two states when time is of the essence. And it's such a specialized treatment that we have a definite need for the burn center in Mississippi."

The next legislative session begins in January, and Bailey and Holland said a new burn center would top their list of priorities.

"It brought tears to my eyes when I heard about that fire," said Bailey, D-Greenville.

"Anybody who heard about that tragedy is going to awaken to the need for a burn center right here in Mississippi. It just doesn't make sense for our folks to have to be transported way over to Georgia," he said.

BLUE TIGER
December 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
The new research facility and burn center can only be built in one location. The State will have to tear down MS Veterans Memorial Stadium and build the research and burn center directly across from UMC hospital. The State has no choice and its bound to happen in the very near future. They have their hands tied behind their back and I'm loving every bit of it. What does this have to do with JSU? We get a brand new stadium!:hurray:

Mr. Tiger
December 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Every public university in Mississippi has a state-funded football stadium except for Jackson State University and state lawmakers promised JSU a new stadium in the 1960s and did not deliver. Also, the new stadium would be part of an overall economic development plan for downtown Jackson, which is located just a few short miles from JSU's campus.

BLUE TIGER
December 8th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Every public university in Mississippi has a state-funded football stadium except for Jackson State University and state lawmakers promised JSU a new stadium in the 1960s and did not deliver. Also, the new stadium would be part of an overall economic development plan for downtown Jackson, which is located just a few short miles from JSU's campus.

A few short miles? Its more like 0.1 miles from downtown. The stadium would connect the campus with downtown.

BLUE TIGER
January 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070107/SPORTS030101/701070345/1073

A NEW STADIUM

Mississippi state Rep. John Reeves, R-Jackson, said this week he's confident a proposal for a new on-campus JSU football stadium will pass through the House sometime in the next month and a half.

"It's time we did this and the support is there," Reeves said. "That, combined with a new medical research park for (University of Mississippi Medical Center) would be the single biggest development in Jackson's history."

Reeves said the latest calculations he's received call for an approximately 40,000-seat stadium that will cost about $50 million.

Reeves said that money includes land acquisition fees, road improvements and parking.

The preliminary location of the stadium has been reported to be from Terry Road and Gallatin Street to Lynch Street next to JSU's campus.

On top of the $50 million for construction, Reeves said it would cost about $5.4 million to tear down Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, a structure that recently received a $15 million facelift.

"I just think it's best for JSU and best for the city," Reeves said. "We're ready to move forward."

jstate83
January 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
A few short miles? Its more like 0.1 miles from downtown. The stadium would connect the campus with downtown.

It will also go hand in hand with the new $70 million 8,500 seat Convention Center that is being built now downtown behind the new Tel-Com Center.

Can you imagine MoFo's leaving the Football Stadium and packing into the Tel-Com center for an aftergame party?:eek:

Terry Road is bout to be off the hook.:nod:

BTW: Went past the Baseball stadium.
The light's have been installed and the Grandstands are bout finished.
Looks like we will be in that sucka for opening day. :hurray:

GAD
January 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
:hurray:

BLUE TIGER
January 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
It will also go hand in hand with the new $70 million 8,500 seat Convention Center that is being built now downtown behind the new Tel-Com Center.

Can you imagine MoFo's leaving the Football Stadium and packing into the Tel-Com center for an aftergame party?:eek:

Terry Road is bout to be off the hook.:nod:

BTW: Went past the Baseball stadium.
The light's have been installed and the Grandstands are bout finished.
Looks like we will be in that sucka for opening day. :hurray:

Man I don't even want to imagine 80,000 people on Lynch and Terry. The atmosphere is going to be crazy not to mention that the Campus will be packed. Now all we need to do is figure out how to get an arena on campus near downtown. Parking shouldn't be a problem because they could use the stadium parking. We should have a packed house at the first baseball game.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jstate83
January 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Man I don't even want to imagine 80,000 people on Lynch and Terry. The atmosphere is going to be crazy not to mention that the Campus will be packed. Now all we need to do is figure out how to get an arena on campus near downtown. Parking shouldn't be a problem because they could use the stadium parking. We should have a packed house at the first baseball game.

Doubt it with the Convention Center comming online next year down there.

Besides, the ACC seating has been reconfigured for basketball and it seems to be working out.
The ACC is holding down the WEST side of campus as for event's.

We played Alcorn last night and got 7,556 in there for that Basketball game.

We won the game and the women was off the hook.:eek:

SU Jag
January 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Doubt it with the Convention Center comming online next year down there.

Besides, the ACC the seating has been reconfigured for basketball and it seems to be working out.
The ACC is holding down the WEST side of campus as for event's.

We played Alcorn last night and got 7,556 in there for that Basketball game.

We won the game and the women was off the hook.:eek:

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who is that sistah!:thumbsup: Aint nothing like a HBCU!

jstate83
January 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Wish I knew. xlolx

Here's a back shot.:nod:

SU Jag
January 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Wish I knew. xlolx

Here's a back shot.:nod:

damn!!!!!!!!!!!

HIU 93
January 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Let the church say AMEN!!!!

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Here's a better view. :D

http://kevinr316.smugmug.com/photos/121600951-S.jpg :eek: :eek:

HIU 93
January 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM

I'm tripping off the fact that it's warm enough to wear those shorts in January!

unknown-swac
January 8th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Man its been in the mid 70's down here lately so she's dressed about right. Now those are some nice legs....

jstate83
January 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'm tripping off the fact that it's warm enough to wear those shorts in January!

The joy of living in the SOUTH.:nod:
Spring is just makes your bloodpressure rise constantly. xlolx

jstate83
January 8th, 2007, 01:31 PM

The trip part about this is they were not the finest 2 women there.
And to make things worse..............You can't tell in that picture, but the one in black is FINER than the one with the short's on.
xlolx

There were 6 foot women in heel's all over that place.:eek:
Going from the game str8 to the club. :hurray:

Pictures like these make me wonder why some women think being a size 0 looks good...............I don't get that. :eyebrow:

Give me a good, thick size 8 to 10 woman that work's out like those in the picture.
"Don't want no SKINNEY GIRL".xlolx

jstate83
January 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
BTW: Got to thinking bout all my POTENTIAL WIVES I saw Saturday night at the game, I forgot to post the latest on the Stadium funding progress. xlolx

A NEW STADIUM

Mississippi state Rep. John Reeves, R-Jackson, said this week he's confident a proposal for a new on-campus JSU football stadium will pass through the House sometime in the next month and a half.

"It's time we did this and the support is there," Reeves said. "That, combined with a new medical research park for (University of Mississippi Medical Center) would be the single biggest development in Jackson's history."

Reeves said the latest calculations he's received call for an approximately 40,000-seat stadium that will cost about $50 million.

Reeves said that money includes land acquisition fees, road improvements and parking.

The preliminary location of the stadium has been reported to be from Terry Road and Gallatin Street to Lynch Street next to JSU's campus.

On top of the $50 million for construction, Reeves said it would cost about $5.4 million to tear down Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, a structure that recently received a $15 million facelift.

"I just think it's best for JSU and best for the city," Reeves said. "We're ready to move forward."

BigApp
January 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
$80 million is an awfully high figure to remain in FCS...

jstate83
January 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
$80 million is an awfully high figure to remain in FCS...

Not really if you figure in the economic impact that Jackson State has on the City of Jackson and the surrounding Metro area.
Maybe these stories will put spending this much for a JSU football stadium in focus.

$50 to $80 million would look like peanut's when all those people start rolling into downtown for event's at that place.
It will fit into the Downtown Entertainment District that is under developement and a Stadium was included in that study of thing's needed along with the Convention Center being built now.
Farrish Street is being developed into a Beale or Burbon St. type of setting.
All are within a 6 sqr mile area.
A lot of pictures and plans so give it a few to download.

Downtown Construction Plan. (http://www.downtown-Jackson.com/downloads/2004-plan-summary.pdf)
Scroll down towards the bottom to the title Convention Center Sub Area1.
This is what the Stadium would tie into.
JSU campus start's basically across the west side of this area off the map.

2 Lakes Developement for Downtown. (http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5827130&nav=2CSF)
This is another developement moving towards construction.
$400 million riding on this.
It will create a "parkway" to connect Jackson with a direct line to the Airport, and the 2 Lakes developement itself is to be located just off I-55 on the Pearl River.
It will create a 3 mile long, man-made Island that will be developed into shoreline real-estate.

Capitol Greens Project Construction. (http://www.downtown-Jackson.com/downloads/must-see-developement.pdf)
$350 million .............. Started 3 month's ago.
Residential and Commercial real-estate developement.