PDA

View Full Version : Instant replay

GrizzlyBill
December 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
I heard a tv announcer mention that I-AA football, even in the playoffs, makes no use of instant replay in officiating.

Hearing these guys make it sound like such an oddity caused me to wonder what the future might hold (if the technology ever gets cheap enough for I-AA to afford). And, I realized that I oppose the use of instant replay in honor of "making the call on the field." Officials (whether good or bad) have always before been a part of the game like players, coaches, and fans. To use cameras and instant replay as deciding "eyes" is to remove an important human aspect of the game, I think. I know the argument could be made for making the game more pure by removal of inconsistent officiating.

Anyway, the choice, whenever it comes, should be made by us--the fans who buy tickets and tv signals--, and not by the suits at NCAA who should just stick to dreaming up new names for levels of the game and to dictating what logos can be sold at playoff games.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
I heard a tv announcer mention that I-AA football, even in the playoffs, makes no use of instant replay in officiating.

Hearing these guys make it sound like such an oddity caused me to wonder what the future might hold (if the technology ever gets cheap enough for I-AA to afford). And, I realized that I oppose the use of instant replay in honor of "making the call on the field." Officials (whether good or bad) have always before been a part of the game like players, coaches, and fans. To use cameras and instant replay as deciding "eyes" is to remove an important human aspect of the game, I think. I know the argument could be made for making the game more pure by removal of inconsistent officiating.

Anyway, the choice, whenever it comes, should be made by us--the fans who buy tickets and tv signals--, and not by the suits at NCAA who should just stick to dreaming up new names for levels of the game and to dictating what logos can be sold at playoff games.

I agree, it should be in force for FCS playoff games. I know during the UNH vs UMASS game yesterday, the TV game announcers openly questioned Ball's 3rd down catch with 30 seconds left in the game. A difference of 1 foot either way "MAY" have played a huge role in the outcome of the game. Maybe not,but it would have been nice to have a replay check it out. Or,maybe an official's spot is not challengeable.... Still, would be nice to have the replay available....

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
I agree, it should be in force for FCS playoff games. I know during the UNH vs UMASS game yesterday, the TV game announcers openly questioned Ball's 3rd down catch with 30 seconds left in the game. A difference of 1 foot either way "MAY" have played a huge role in the outcome of the game. Maybe not,but it would have been nice to have a replay check it out. Or,maybe an official's spot is not challengeable.... Still, would be nice to have the replay available....
I watched that play again today on tivo... the ref spoted the ball where ball steped out. It doesnt matter if he got the ball closer to the 5 or not because he went out of bounds under his own power and they spoted him where he did so.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Too bad. It was nice to be able to hold on to some "after the fact" hope that maybe it was misspotted! I'm planning on watching the game tape tomorrow. Don't ask me why -- I guess some self-destructive tendency. Good luck Friday!

thmst30
December 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM

I believe it was used in the title game last year wasn't it?

Griswold
December 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I believe it was used in the title game last year wasn't it?

YES, it was. The officials ruled the ball down on ASU's one-foot line after a UNI punt (I believe it was a punt - it was a change of position) then it was reviewed and ruled a touch-back. It was a huge reversal.

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
The CN8 announcers for the Lafayette-UMass game clearly showed on replay that LC's Dorsey's knee was down before the ball came out. A crucial turnover at the Leopard 30, which UMass then scored on a few plays later to take a 28-14 lead late in the third. While I know LC still would have lost the game, I would have liked to have seen how the game would have played out otherwise. LC's defense was doing fairly well in the third until this momentum changing turnover.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
YES, it was. The officials ruled the ball down on ASU's one-foot line after a UNI punt (I believe it was a punt - it was a change of position) then it was reviewed and ruled a touch-back. It was a huge reversal.

Does that seem unfair to anybody else? I mean, I'm glad they got the call right, but changing the rules just for a championship game seems weird to me. You should do it all the time or none of the time.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Does that seem unfair to anybody else? I mean, I'm glad they got the call right, but changing the rules just for a championship game seems weird to me. You should do it all the time or none of the time.
I wonder how much of that has to do with cost? Gotta have several different camera angles on every play to have even a decent replay setup.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I wonder how much of that has to do with cost? Gotta have several different camera angles on every play to have even a decent replay setup.

It's definitely cost, but I don't think that just because it's available in the NC game that it should be used unless every team uses it all the time.

walliver
December 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I believe that all football games should be played by the same rules. Either use instant replays ofr all games or none at all. In general I oppose instant replay. Yes officials make bad calls, but the current rules only assess certain selected calls. Holding calls are made and missed all the time, but do we really want to review every single block made during a play?

My main opposition to instant replay is that it isn't instant. A replay brings the game to a screetching halt and frequently changes the flow of the game (momentum).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I watched that play again today on tivo... the ref spoted the ball where ball steped out. It doesnt matter if he got the ball closer to the 5 or not because he went out of bounds under his own power and they spoted him where he did so.

With replay that would have been known to everybody at the stadium. Sometimes, replay is beneficial to substantiate the call on the field! :twocents:

Russ B
December 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Replay doesn't get used for spotting the ball, anyhow (except when reversing a change of possession).

matfu
December 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
i would be in favor of instant replay in the playoffs.

December 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
We had a huge discussion of this last year when it was announced that it would be used only for the champ game. Remember we aren't the pros or the BS, we play for NCAA championships. It is unrealistic for the NCAA at our cost containment level to justify the cost for the entire tourney.

DTSpider
December 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
No instant replay. Bad calls are just part of the game. Reply takes too long anyway. Let's not forget replay is one reason for the new clock rules. Just let the calls happen the way the game was intended to be play. Sometimes you get the good calls & sometimes you don't, but it evens out eventually.

GaSouthern
December 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
The thing I love about the CS is we have a REAL champion, and making sure the calls are correctly made in the big game is a-ok with me to help decide a REAL champion on the field!

patssle
December 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM
i could understand it for the championship, maybe semi-finals...but requiring it for the whole season would be ridiculous. its very expensive to just setup a video system, and most CS schools just don't have that money.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM
The CS is football at it's purest sense. These guys play for the love of the game, Instant Replay gets the calls correct, I see the pros and cons of both, I just don't know.... maybe just in the Championship Game.