PDA

View Full Version : UNH Prospects for 2007

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Tough, "deja vu" loss yesterday. Hurts more now than right after the game. Love to have had a measurement on Ball's catch on the 5 yard line, too,....

What do you think about 2007? Our VT legend, David Ball, will be moving on -- hopefully to the Sr Bowl and then the NFL :thumbsup: -- but returning will be the best player in the FCS -- Santos -- along with a healthy & dynamic Mike Boyle, 3 top RB's, 3 of 5 O Linemen, our best LB (Husain "the human missile" Karim), and hopefully some developing defensive linemen. :hurray:

I say we're back in the Tournament for the 4th straight year, but lots will be determined with early games at JMU and at Marshall to kick off the season. :smiley_wi

What do you all think? xcoffeex

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
the rest of us dont care!
WE ARE STILL PLAYING!

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
WE ARE STILL PLAYING!

if you dont care then dont read the thread GEEZE!

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
WE ARE STILL PLAYING!

Then, don't bother reading--after all, we're not talking about App State prospects. But, the smart money says you will certainly care next year :thumbsup: Having said that good luck this weekend (& maybe the following week in Chattanooga vs UMASS).

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
i think contenders or at least playoff bound, with Santos at the helm you are assured a few wins. but as Murietta showed at NAU you have to have some talent around you to succeed, and i believe that UNH will enough to do fairly well. just my :twocents: from a guy who lives on the opposite end of the countryxlolx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
i think contenders or at least playoff bound, with Santos at the helm you are assured a few wins. but as Murietta showed at NAU you have to have some talent around you to succeed, and i believe that UNH will enough to do fairly well. just my :twocents: from a guy who lives on the opposite end of the countryxlolx

Absolute dead-on insight re: Santos' need for some talent around him. You can also go back to UNH years with Payton winner Jerry Azuma. He was on an island and UNH was never much better than 5-6 or 6-5. However, if Mike Boyle is healthy, we may have another Ball-type player with whom Santos can have lots of fun.

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Absolute dead-on insight re: Santos' need for some talent around him. You can also go back to UNH years with Payton winner Jerry Azuma. He was on an island and UNH was never much better than 5-6 or 6-5. However, if Mike Boyle is healthy, we may have another Ball-type player with whom Santos can have lots of fun.

Agreed and I would also certainly like to see UNH go to the ground more using Kackert and Simpson more.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
As a ASU fan and former player, I'd like to put out that we do as a whole have class. Please don't let our drunken (likely) few lower the respect we have for other programs and schools in FCS. Thanks, and I think UNH will reload.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
As a ASU fan and former player, I'd like to put out that we do as a whole have class. Please don't let our drunken (likely) few lower the respect we have for other programs and schools in FCS. Thanks, and I think UNH will reload.

Thank you, I too think App State certainly is classy, and you are correct-UNH will be heard from in '07. Good luck this weekend.

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM

i still have no idea how your school is pronounced. I remember in 1994 the media people in NH kept using diff pronounciations

Appa lack eon state

Appa lash eon state

how is it pronounced? :p

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
i still have no idea how your school is pronounced. I remember in 1994 the media people in NH kept using diff pronounciations

Appa lack eon state

Appa lash eon state

Mountaineer#96, sorry about that. I guess no school's fan base is immune....

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Mountaineer#96, sorry about that. I guess no school's fan base is immune....

are you saying im classless?

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
I say we're back in the Tournament for the 4th straight year, but lots will be determined with early games at JMU and at Marshall to kick off the season. :smiley_wi

JMU plays UNH in one of UNH's 1st 2 games of the season? You already seen UNH's A-10 schedule for next yr?

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
Sept. 8 at James Madison
Sept. 15 at Marshall
Sept. 22 DARTMOUTH
Sept. 29 at Richmond
Oct. 6 DELAWARE
Oct. 13 IONA (Homecoming)
Oct. 20 at Hofstra
Oct. 27 RHODE ISLAND
Nov. 3 NORTHEASTERN
Nov. 10 at Massachusetts
Nov. 17 MAINE

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
are you saying im classless?

Certainly not. In fact, I enjoy your enthusiasm for the Wildcats and love your posts.

However, "Appa lack eon state" ? The inference here is a little bit below you and the rest of UNH fans' standards.

You are more fun to read when you stick to your enthusiastic support of UNH. :smiley_wi

By the way, I think you just may be able to change your signature from "Payton Finalist" to "Payton Winner" in about two weeks. Santos has had 3 of the greatest back to back to back seasons a QB could ever have. Of course, he can thank Chip Kelly a lot for the opportunities he has been given. Lot more fun than the old days of Bill Burnham and Q-6 Pick and G-8 Toss, .... (Not that they weren't effective -- just not as much fun to watch -- or block!) However, just as certainly, Santos has certainly taken advantage of the challenges & opportunities thrown his way!

Were you in Amherst on Saturday? Lots of guts and determination -- and one bad spot and one tough call at the end. Still, another great season!

Where do you think Ball goes in terms of College All-Star Games? Where does he go in the draft? How about Tucker Peterson and Corey Graham?

BDKJMU
December 4th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Damn, for this season JMU didn't release their schedule until Feb 9th. The holdup was due to finding 2 more OOC opponents, which they did with Bloomsburg and ASU. I went back and saw that the OOC schedule was set for 07' and 08' as well:

Sept 1: @North Carolina
Sept 8: UNH
Sept 15: VMI
Sept 22: Coastal Carolina

I imagine the next 2 games will be at RI and at Northeastern, followed by the 5 South Div A-10 teams. I just hope with @UNC and UNH JMU doesn't start out in a huge hole 0-2.

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Certainly not. In fact, I enjoy your enthusiasm for the Wildcats and love your posts.

However, "Appa lack eon state" ? The inference here is a little bit below you and the rest of UNH fans' standards.

You are more fun to read when you stick to your enthusiastic support of UNH. :smiley_wi

By the way, I think you just may be able to change your signature from "Payton Finalist" to "Payton Winner" in about two weeks. Santos has had 3 of the greatest back to back to back seasons a QB could ever have. Of course, he can thank Chip Kelly a lot for the opportunities he has been given. Lot more fun than the old days of Bill Burnham and Q-6 Pick and G-8 Toss, .... (Not that they weren't effective -- just not as much fun to watch -- or block!) However, just as certainly, Santos has certainly taken advantage of the challenges & opportunities thrown his way!

Were you in Amherst on Saturday? Lots of guts and determination -- and one bad spot and one tough call at the end. Still, another great season!

Where do you think Ball goes in terms of College All-Star Games? Where does he go in the draft? How about Tucker Peterson and Corey Graham?

I meant no disrespect with that post. I just was curious of the proper pronounciation of the schools name.

Ball has already confirmed he will be at a All Star game, im off to bed but will find it and post it in the AM.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Damn, for this season JMU didn't release their schedule until Feb 9th. The holdup was due to finding 2 more OOC opponents, which they did with Bloomsburg and ASU. I went back and saw that the OOC schedule was set for 07' and 08' as well:

Sept 1: @North Carolina
Sept 8: UNH
Sept 15: VMI
Sept 22: Coastal Carolina

I imagine the next 2 games will be at RI and at Northeastern, followed by the 5 South Div A-10 teams. I just hope with @UNC and UNH JMU doesn't start out in a huge hole 0-2.

Here's hoping you are 1-1 after 2 weeks with a huge BS win! :thumbsup: I just hope UNH starts out 1-0! Don't underestimate Bloomsburg. They are D2, but play in a very tough Pennsylvania school athletic conference. I know that over the years, Delaware has had their hands full off and on vs Westchester.

Just how good is Coastal Carolina? I know they made the tourney this year, but apparently got beat up pretty quickly in the 1st half vs App State.

thmst30
December 4th, 2006, 12:20 AM

Appa lack eon state

Appa lash eon state

Appa latch an

And for the people who say Appa lay chian we will seriously fight you because its so annoying.

BDKJMU
December 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Sept. 8 at James Madison
Sept. 15 at Marshall
Sept. 22 DARTMOUTH
Sept. 29 at Richmond
Oct. 6 DELAWARE
Oct. 20 at Hofstra
Oct. 27 RHODE ISLAND
Nov. 3 NORTHEASTERN
Nov. 10 at Massachusetts
Nov. 17 MAINE

Thats a pretty good OOC schedule for UNH. Other than IA Marshal, 2 cupcakes. A-10 not so good, since UNH has JMU, Delaware (probably the top 2 teams preseason from the south) & UR from the south & probably 2 of 3 toughest (JMU & UMAss) on road, with getting UD at home (UD gonna be real good next yr).

BDKJMU
December 4th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Here's hoping you are 1-1 after 2 weeks with a huge BS win! :thumbsup: I just hope UNH starts out 1-0! Don't underestimate Bloomsburg. They are D2, but play in a very tough Pennsylvania school athletic conference. I know that over the years, Delaware has had their hands full off and on vs Westchester.

Just how good is Coastal Carolina? I know they made the tourney this year, but apparently got beat up pretty quickly in the 1st half vs App State.

JMU doesn't play Bloomsburg next yr (07'). That was only this season. Glad JMU not playing them again next yr because get 1 pt for beating IA, .5 for beating a IAA, and 0 for beating a DII, yet Bloomsburg is a DII powerhouse & would probably beat half the IAAs. Are now 12-1 & in the DII playoff semis.

thmst30
December 4th, 2006, 12:28 AM
UNH was my pick to win it all this year if App couldn't repeat. They started incredibly strong and then just sort of became average down the stretch. I didn't follow them that much so I don't know what happened, but was there a defining reason for the decline?

UNH SUPERFAN
December 4th, 2006, 06:37 AM
UNH was my pick to win it all this year if App couldn't repeat. They started incredibly strong and then just sort of became average down the stretch. I didn't follow them that much so I don't know what happened, but was there a defining reason for the decline?
One of the reasons was the lose at the JMU game of pre-season all american DB and kick returner Cory Graham. It is tough to replace 4.3 speed and 3 years of experience in the defensive backfield. I'm sure we would not have lost to Northeastern if he had been returning kicks, and you never know about tackles not made and coverage not quite there that his absence caused. I think we would have blitzed more with him in there also. Big lose mid season for this team.

UNH 40
December 4th, 2006, 07:50 AM
One of the reasons was the lose at the JMU game of pre-season all american DB and kick returner Cory Graham. It is tough to replace 4.3 speed and 3 years of experience in the defensive backfield. I'm sure we would not have lost to Northeastern if he had been returning kicks, and you never know about tackles not made and coverage not quite there that his absence caused. I think we would have blitzed more with him in there also. Big lose mid season for this team.

Without a doubt the biggest reason for the UNH not playing as well was the loss of Corey Graham. He is probably the best athlete on the team, he is a great leader, and the amount of experience that he had playing in the defensive backfield was huge. With Graham in at DB I don't believe UNH loses to NU and probably would have given them the edge against UMass in both games.

th0m
December 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM

We will not underestimate CCU after our first meeting, you can be sure of that. Having said that, I think CCU loses quite a lot (from what I've read).

I can really only remember two players from the squad that beat JMU: Tyler Thigpen and Jerome Simpson. Thigpen will graduate, while Simpson will still be around for 1 more year. Scanning their roster real quick it seems they have a whopping 36 seniors this year. I don't know how many of those were starters.

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Ball, who broke Jerry Rice's Division I CS career touchdown reception record on Oct. 7, was also named to the All-New England team for the third time. He has 87 catches for 1,060 yards and 13 touchdowns this season and was invited to play in the Hula Bowl on Jan. 14 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

There it is.

Granite
December 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Sept. 8 at James Madison
Sept. 15 at Marshall
Sept. 22 DARTMOUTH
Sept. 29 at Richmond
Oct. 6 DELAWARE
Oct. 20 at Hofstra
Oct. 27 RHODE ISLAND
Nov. 3 NORTHEASTERN
Nov. 10 at Massachusetts
Nov. 17 MAINE

The first 4 games can really make or break our season. 1-1 after the first 2 is imperative. We could realistically go 3-1 or 1-3 in the first four. Even 2-2 puts us playing for our lives the rest of the way, with tough CAA games vs. Delaware and Maine at home and UMass on the road. And we never seem to play well at Hofstra. This is a tougher schedule than some think.

Granite
December 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Without a doubt the biggest reason for the UNH not playing as well was the loss of Corey Graham. He is probably the best athlete on the team, he is a great leader, and the amount of experience that he had playing in the defensive backfield was huge.

I agree, 40. Corey came up with some absolutely huge plays in the playoffs last year on defense. Plus his special teams abilities just added to his value on the team. That was a monumental loss for the defense this year.

Part of the reason this defense seemed so different this year - and I haven't looked at stats comparisons - is that this year's version didn't get the big, timely turnovers that last year's D seemed to come up with fairly regularly (although they did get a couple in the UMass game). Having Graham in the backfield all year certainly would have helped in that regard.

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Sept. 8 at James Madison
Sept. 15 at Marshall
Sept. 22 DARTMOUTH
Sept. 29 at Richmond
Oct. 6 DELAWARE
Oct. 20 at Hofstra
Oct. 27 RHODE ISLAND
Nov. 3 NORTHEASTERN
Nov. 10 at Massachusetts
Nov. 17 MAINE

I just noticed that UNH plays the same teams from the South Division again next year, how odd.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Aboslutely dead-on point. Graham has single handedly turned games around on defense and special teams (Ga Southern in 2004, for example). He was a HUGE loss when he went down.

I think the loss of Michael Boyle for effectively the entire season at WR/RB was a huge loss. The young NH native has explosive ability and was sorely missed. I think with Boyle in the lineup all season, the double and triple teaming of D. Ball & other top weapons would have ceased abruptly.

th0m
December 4th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I just noticed that UNH plays the same teams from the South Division again next year, how odd.

I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure. Flip home and away games, then play the other 3 South/North teams.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I agree, 40. Corey came up with some absolutely huge plays in the playoffs last year on defense. Plus his special teams abilities just added to his value on the team. That was a monumental loss for the defense this year.

Part of the reason this defense seemed so different this year - and I haven't looked at stats comparisons - is that this year's version didn't get the big, timely turnovers that last year's D seemed to come up with fairly regularly (although they did get a couple in the UMass game). Having Graham in the backfield all year certainly would have helped in that regard.

Another great point. I think UNH actually led the nation in turnover margin last year, making a huge difference in opportunities for UNH's quick strike offense on a short field. They were just not getting the big fumble recovery or interception at key times this year. Maybe this year's stats suffered as a result: Santos tossed 39 TD's last year (24 to Ball) while this year he threw only 28 (13 to Ball). Of course, Santos did run for 12 TD's this year, as well.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM
There it is.

I also heard somewhere that he has been invited to play in the East West Shrine Game which occurs the week (or 2?) after the Hula Bowl. Some folks feel you should play in only one post-season game to avoid nicks and injuries. Something like 53 E/W participants were drafted last year while only 14 Hula Bowl players were drafted (my info may be skewed so don't take it for absolute truth). If so, he may be better off sticking to E/W and forgoing the Hula Bowl. Of course, given he needs to prove all he can to his doubters, it may be worth the risk to participte in both and pray for good health throughout.

Granite
December 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Another great point. I think UNH actually led the nation in turnover margin last year, making a huge difference in opportunities for UNH's quick strike offense on a short field. They were just not getting the big fumble recovery or interception at key times this year. Maybe this year's stats suffered as a result: Santos tossed 39 TD's last year (24 to Ball) while this year he threw only 28 (13 to Ball). Of course, Santos did run for 12 TD's this year, as well.

And David was getting everyone's absolute best, every game. In a lot of ways, this made Boyle's absence even more important. The drop off in production between Ball and the rest of the receiving corps - Levan and Brown, particularly - was huge (Ball = 13 receiving touchdowns, Brown & Levan combined = 8).

One other point with respect to receiving - I believe UNH_Alum_in_CT said at the end of last seson that we would really miss big Jonathan Williams this year, and I think he was absolutely right.

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I also heard somewhere that he has been invited to play in the East West Shrine Game which occurs the week (or 2?) after the Hula Bowl. Some folks feel you should play in only one post-season game to avoid nicks and injuries. Something like 53 E/W participants were drafted last year while only 14 Hula Bowl players were drafted (my info may be skewed so don't take it for absolute truth). If so, he may be better off sticking to E/W and forgoing the Hula Bowl. Of course, given he needs to prove all he can to his doubters, it may be worth the risk to participte in both and pray for good health throughout.

Very well could be, however the Shrine Bowl is still "In selection process"

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM

No it's not, it's by design. You play the same set of three schools from the other division two years in a row switching sites in the second year. The same rotation was in place for the 2004 and 2005 seasons with games against Villanova, Towson and William & Mary. In 2008 UNH will return to playing those three schools from the South.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
And David was getting everyone's absolute best, every game. In a lot of ways, this made Boyle's absence even more important. The drop off in production between Ball and the rest of the receiving corps - Levan and Brown, particularly - was huge (Ball = 13 receiving touchdowns, Brown & Levan combined = 8).

One other point with respect to receiving - I believe UNH_Alum_in_CT said at the end of last seson that we would really miss big Jonathan Williams this year, and I think he was absolutely right.

Thanks Granite, but I'm not sure how definitive I was on that statement. I thought we'd get more production out of the TE slot this year. Well, at least enough that with Ball, Boyle, Brown and LeVan returning that we'd at least keep defenses "honest" with the TE play. I'm not sure that happened especially later in the season. Boyle's loss this year was huge, did he even play two games healthy? I think those two factors led to teams being able to really concentrate on David Ball. It was incredible how much jamming at the line as well as double and triple teams I saw this year on Ball.

Still, Ball had a little bad luck too in terms of stats. How many great catches did he have that ended up going out of bounds at the one yard line? Right off the top of my head, I'm recalling one at Delaware, at Northeastern and I think one at home vs. UMass. Then there were the monsoon games over his career! Still, I'm incredibly impressed with David's career stats especially knowing that he didn't pad his stats versus Stony Brook, Iona, Dartmouth and in some blowout wins during his career.

I agree with everyone on Corey Graham's loss. The loss of his height and quality of play was really a factor in the UMass games. Also, it seemed to take the kickoff return out of the mix (just like Boyle's absence seemed to do on punt returns), although the replacments didn't do poorly.

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure how UNH will do next year, but I can tell you that you'll be better than Delaware. :nod:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Counting the TE as part of the OL, then of the 12 slots on the two deep, 10 are returning. The losses are LG Tucker Peterson (huge loss) and TE Sean Lynch. All four of the RBs on the two deep return (Ward, Kackert, LeVan and Boyle) and that doesn't include Robert Simpson who also returns. All four on the two deep at WR depart (Ball, Brown, Henry and Loring). The top three QBs return including Ricky Santos. On offense I think UNH will be solid especially if you consider LeVan and Boyle really are WRs. There appears to be good depth on the OL and a lot of experience returns so hopefully we'll see improved play on the OL.

Defensively, the big losses are obviously Graham (although technically we've already experienced life without Corey) as well as St. Peter, Wagner and Muji Karim. By my count eight of the 22 on the last two deep depart so hopefully we can replace those eight and see at least the same level of defensive play. There is definitely talent returning on the defense -- Parent, Clements, Muji Karim, Pammer, Wright, etc. And there were a lot of Freshmen on the two deep (Taylor, Ware, Long, Peters and Klein(only true Frosh)) so hopefully that's a sign that there is talent waiting in the wings. Will the biggest challenge be replacing the DL? I think so, but I'm not as knowledgeable of all the guys "in the wings". Maybe UNH 40 give provide his analysis.

Bottom line is that the cupboard isn't bare yet. But the schedule is tough with three trips South in September including a BS game. And it is the A-10 so no assumptions can be made. Winning eight games will be a challenge for sure, but the prospects are better than what I recall from pre-season 2003!!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure how UNH will do next year, but I can tell you that you'll be better than Delaware. :nod:

Without looking at everybody's two deep, my first impression would have been that UD had as much or more returning as anybody in the league? :confused: Flacco and Cuff return. Weren't you playing a lot of young guys this year? Won't they be better with a season's experience?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM
BTW, I hate having to talk about next season when there are still games being played this year. But it is fairly therapeutic!! :nod: :p

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Interestingly, the UNH Notebook column in today's Manchester Union Leader also talked about next season. Honest, I wrote my replies before reading this article!!! :nod: xlolx

UNH Notebook (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+Notebook%3a+Emotional+da y+after+for+Wildcats&articleId=e3a6ebc4-b976-45d2-bf65-5855304e0b80)

WSBE
December 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
...great thread. Just stopped by to see when the games were on this weekend...saw this thread & read every message. Good stuff...it is sad to talk about next year but its better than repeating to yourself "..4th & less than 1 frigin yard, damn!?". I still can't believe the play call. Enough!.

Anyway - talking about recruits & next year is all they do in BCS land...it's part of the fun, part of the cycle. I love when the commitment list comes out in February. UNH has done well in recruiting the last few years & I think we'll see some guys emerge. I have some more thoughts/names - will return later

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Without looking at everybody's two deep, my first impression would have been that UD had as much or more returning as anybody in the league? :confused: Flacco and Cuff return. Weren't you playing a lot of young guys this year? Won't they be better with a season's experience?

Our O will be seasoned and ready for any opponent. Our D; however, will be suspect due to a lack of talent. For Del to compete, they'll have to put up some serious points.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Our O will be seasoned and ready for any opponent. Our D; however, will be suspect due to a lack of talent. For Del to compete, they'll have to put up some serious points.

So, maybe we are looking at a repeat of 2006? My heart still hasn't recovered from that 52-49 Hoop Game. My daughter and I were in attendance and I still feel like it was not only the best game I've ever witnessed, but also the best 1-AA atmosphere I have ever experienced. It was, in a word, FUN!

I will not be sorry to see your TE graduate -- and maybe watch him on Sundays. I heard Cuff is back along with Flacco? Oh, oh. Maybe 62-59 in 2007! :smiley_wi

Tubby Raymond
December 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Tough, "deja vu" loss yesterday. Hurts more now than right after the game. Love to have had a measurement on Ball's catch on the 5 yard line, too,....

What do you think about 2007? Our VT legend, David Ball, will be moving on -- hopefully to the Sr Bowl and then the NFL :thumbsup: -- but returning will be the best player in the FCS -- Santos -- along with a healthy & dynamic Mike Boyle, 3 top RB's, 3 of 5 O Linemen, our best LB (Husain "the human missile" Karim), and hopefully some developing defensive linemen. :hurray:

Ball will NOT play on Sundays, unless it is outside of the USA

UNH_ORACLE
December 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM

What is the purpose of your end all assertion that Ball will never play in the NFL? You have no idea his capabilities or how he will do in the offseason, which will play just a big of a role as the last four years have. Ball has a better chance of playing in the NFL than KC Keeler has of coaching Delaware into the next decade.

Please back up your assertion as to why he will not play atleast one sunday in the NFL and then put your money where your mouth is.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM

It will be an interesting winter for David-especially if he can regain his physical health completely after a difficult season filled with nicks and bumps. I know that times have changed for pro WR's in just the last few years. However, if Wayne Chrebet (Hofstra) and Finnerin (Villanova) and super rookie Marques Colston (Hofstra) can play in the NFL, then Ball certainly has a great chance to compete, as well.

Also, you may remember 10 year NFL vet, Billy Brooks of the Colts who came out of the now defunct football program at Boston Univ. Those who know of and coached both players feel that Ball has equivalent or better skills and gifts than Billy Brooks (& that is NOT a knock on Brooks who may have been one of the classiest and greatest of the all-time greats in the A-10 or Yankee Conference or whatever it was called back then).

In the NFL, nobody gets wide open. You do have to have the ability to create space and Ball, a documented 6'11 1/2" foot high jumper with about a 39"-40" vertical leap, does it by going up and up and up. Just ask the Pro Prospect DB's for Hampton two weekends ago or UMASS from last year (granted, nothing spectacular from this past weekend, unfortunately).

His size and 40 yard time will be questioned over and over (I think he has run a 4.59), but he runs that fast in and out of pads and his body control, great hips, elusiveness, and unbelievable hands are all qualities that very few are able to package so completely.

You may be right, but it will be fun to watch his efforts this winter in the All-Star game(s) and during the combine. Best of all, the kid has had fun overcoming his detractors and naysayers his entire life -- a necessity when coming out of powerhouse football state of VT. Stay tuned, .... :thumbsup:

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Ball is projected as a 4-5th round pick.

Old Cat Fan
December 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Ball is projected as a 4-5th round pick.
The only thing that worries me about D Ball and the pros is will he be able to stay healthy. Don't get me wrong I'm as big of a D Ball fan out there, but he just seems fragile. Looks like he always has a little gimp in his step when I watch him walk on and off the field at Cowell, plus when those Pro Defensive backs start unloading on him he will be hit like he never has been in college. :eek: But like the others have said he has great leaping abilties and hands and that will get you a job playing on Sundays more so than speed and no catching abilty, I think of him more like that little guy out of Hofstra Wayne Chrebet than like a Jerry Rice or a Keshon Johnson type. just my :twocents:

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Interestingly, the UNH Notebook column in today's Manchester Union Leader also talked about next season. Honest, I wrote my replies before reading this article!!! :nod: xlolx

UNH Notebook (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+Notebook%3a+Emotional+da y+after+for+Wildcats&articleId=e3a6ebc4-b976-45d2-bf65-5855304e0b80)

Only difference is that guy got paid!

UNH will be in the mix next year. Enough talent, and a coach who always seems to get the most out of what he's got. Defense is clearly the concern.

Tubby Raymond
December 5th, 2006, 06:14 AM
What is the purpose of your end all assertion that Ball will never play in the NFL? You have no idea his capabilities or how he will do in the offseason, which will play just a big of a role as the last four years have. Ball has a better chance of playing in the NFL than KC Keeler has of coaching Delaware into the next decade.

Please back up your assertion as to why he will not play atleast one sunday in the NFL and then put your money where your mouth is.

If you look at the prototype reciever currently being drafted and utilized in the NFL, you are aware that he doesn't possess the speed, size or hands. Beiing the all time leading reciever in I-AA is peachy, but it doesn't hold any weight at all with scouts and NFL coaches etc. When Jerry Rice had the record, the NFL was looking for a different type of reciever, and he was it.

How many drops did David have against UMASS in that (big) game? 3/4 How many catches did he have against what the UMASS folks claim was essentially man coverage? If he can't perform better than that against this level of competition then how is he going to make it with the big boys:nonono2: He won't, oh and he didn't look that good against UD either.

Not sour grapes, just reality.

OH, and I'll be in Durham next year so you name the wager.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM
If you look at the prototype reciever currently being drafted and utilized in the NFL, you are aware that he doesn't possess the speed, size or hands. Beiing the all time leading reciever in I-AA is peachy, but it doesn't hold any weight at all with scouts and NFL coaches etc. When Jerry Rice had the record, the NFL was looking for a different type of reciever, and he was it.

How many drops did David have against UMASS in that (big) game? 3/4 How many catches did he have against what the UMASS folks claim was essentially man coverage? If he can't perform better than that against this level of competition then how is he going to make it with the big boys:nonono2: He won't, oh and he didn't look that good against UD either.

Not sour grapes, just reality.

OH, and I'll be in Durham next year so you name the wager.

Ball most certainly has the size and hands to play in the NFL. I've seen him make many extraordinary catches, and he elevates from a 6'3" frame as well as anyone.

As to your statement about not competing better than that against this level of competition.....have you lost your mind! Take a deep breath and check his career stats again.xidiotx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the support, Tribe4SF. Ball has struggled through an injury filled year -- torn calf, bad lower back, tendonitis, ..... Let's hope he can rest up and get healthy for the All-Star game (s) and the combine.

Also, in reference to Mr. Tubby, let's not forget that three of his best games were against Rutgers in '04, UMASS, '05, and Northwestern, '06.

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2006, 12:33 PM
UD at home (UD gonna be real good next yr).

only if the UD defensive front improves by about 200%...

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 6th, 2006, 08:14 AM

The stats bear that out. Last year, Williams caught 50 balls, 5 for TD's. This year, in 13 games, looks like TE caught 13 balls. Big difference in production, especially when you consider lots of those catches in '05 were 1st options, giving Santos another primary receiver and taking some extra coverage off WR's, including Ball. Now, I am sure the TE's did a great job blocking this year, but fast strike capability was obviously way, way down.

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Take a deep breath and check his career stats again.xidiotx

I was referring to last weeks game, he wasn't the star of the show. Had he been, the outcome would have been differentxidiotx

Condescend MUCH?

Take a deep breath and look at the numbers for Saturday, when it counted

SEE BELOW

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the support, Tribe4SF. Ball has struggled through an injury filled year -- torn calf, bad lower back, tendonitis, ..... Let's hope he can rest up and get healthy for the All-Star game (s) and the combine.

Also, in reference to Mr. Tubby, let's not forget that three of his best games were against Rutgers in '04, UMASS, '05, and Northwestern, '06.

How did he do on Saturday?

SUBPAR, great players don't disappear in BIG games

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I'll gladly refer to his stats, Here they are:
6 receptions for 54 0 TD's 11 Longest catch.

Doesn't have enough size for his speed, or vise versa

THIS GUY IS GOING TO PLAY IN THE NFL, NEVER

Tubby Raymond
December 6th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'll happily refer to his stats, Here they are:

Big Players have Big Games, not a big game player:nonono2:

He doesn't have the size for his speed or vise versa:nono:

Again

UNH_ORACLE
December 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM

That's debatable... Do you think Colston coming from the A-10, helps, hurts, or makes no impact on his chances of playing in the NFL??

UNH_ORACLE
December 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
One of the UNH equipment guys told me that he's never seen the amount of NFL scouts in Durham as he did this season, even for Azumah.... He even talked to one of the scouts who told him he should be a mid to late round draft pick.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
That's debatable... Do you think Colston coming from the A-10, helps, hurts, or makes no impact on his chances of playing in the NFL??

It certainly doesn't hurt! As I've heard many coaches say,the fact that Chrebet and Finneran also made it along with Billy Brooks back in the90's indicates that Ball has the ability to do so, as well. He compares favorably or better with all three. And, don't forget,with his 39"-40" vertical jump (which has made him a 7' high jumper), he can create space in a way fairly unique among even NFL wideouts.

Let's hope he gets his legs healthy again and can put on a show in the All-Star game and at the combine.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Agreed and I would also certainly like to see UNH go to the ground more using Kackert and Simpson more.

I finally broke down and watched the video tape of the UNH vs UMASS playoff game for the 1st time last night. Now, I am more upset than ever! :bang:

UNH hung in there, hit hard, played well, showed an impressive ground game and was not outplayed as many would think watching the game live. 2 to 3 big plays go the other way (including London's juggling out of bounds catch on the 1st drive) and UNH might be playing tonight in Missoula. (I will also admit the fumble recovery on the 1 yard line was a huge play in UNH's favor.)

If we counteract the constant blitzing by hitting "hot" receivers out of the backfield or WR screens all day, we might still be playing tonight! (20-20 hindsight is easy after a video review, I will admit)

Watching the underclassmen perform gives me tremendous hope for the future. Simpson, Kackert, and, Ward,in limited play,all played very well. Simpson is a horse who understands how to get North & south with the ball. Kackert is tremendous -- and outright fast. Ward is obviously a talented athlete, as well. A 3 Headed RB position for 2007 might just be very, very productive. I know UMASS chose their poison so to speak in committing to shutting down Santos & Ball, but 215-225 yards rushing is still pretty impressive against a fast & agressive D.

Let's hope Santos gets cranked up for one more shot and that a healthy Mike Boyle, a cagey LeVan, and a cast of supporters all continue to make big plays. And, if the Def Line can sustain some pass rush pressure, we'll be having lots of fun again in '07. :hurray:

Good luck to UMASS tonight. :thumbsup:

UNH 40
December 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM

The kid played in 45 career games and had one game where he struggled a little bit and that equates to he will never play on Sundays? This kid is so gifted that it isn't even fair. He will prove you wrong in whatever 2 all-star games he choses to play in.

DrG
December 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Good luck to UMASS tonight. :thumbsup:
Thanks, VT Wildcat Fan. I hope we do the A10 proud. Hopefully a little more time will heal the wounds from last week ... that game could have gone either way but I guess it was just our time.

rcny46
December 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I believe the defensive line will be key in `07 for UNH.If they can replace their graduation losses on that unit with people who can get the job done,they will be a better team than they were this season,no question,IMHO.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks, VT Wildcat Fan. I hope we do the A10 proud. Hopefully a little more time will heal the wounds from last week ... that game could have gone either way but I guess it was just our time.

Dr. G, Great, great win. Baylark showed why he is so dominating tonight against supposedly a "defense for the ages". Wow! Great work by UMASS O line, too. :thumbsup:

DrG
December 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks VT Wildcat. You guys will be right back in the mix next year with Ricky.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I believe the defensive line will be key in `07 for UNH.If they can replace their graduation losses on that unit with people who can get the job done,they will be a better team than they were this season,no question,IMHO.

Unquestionably, the key is the defensive line. Two run stoppers (Keep O Line off the LB's) and two pass rushers (we rarely got consistent pressure on QB this year-one exception -- big pressure on Hampton QB at end of game!) to help our good and improving DB's would make UNH an instant favorite in 2007.

The offense, with the return of a healthy Mike Boyle and the emergence of a pass catching TE, will be as good, if not better, than ever. The 3 returning RB's can all be something special in their own way.

You are right--we get those defensive personnell in place and Wildcats are better than this year, even with loss of D. Ball and T. Peterson, to name two big losses.

Fordham
December 10th, 2006, 11:48 AM
isn't Santos like ... I don't know, 40 years old by now?

Seriously, seems like he's been around forever (he's a great one).

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM

He's UNH's version of Doug Flutie. Starter since freshman year, breaks records seemingly at will, breaks other team's hearts just as readily and will live on in legend long after he moves on next December 14th! (PS: note the date of moving on! :thumbsup: )

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Just be glad that David Ball didn't redshirt like Ricky Santos did! Otherwise, he'd be around for another year too!! :rotateh: :rotateh:

Tubby Raymond
December 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
The kid played in 45 career games and had one game where he struggled a little bit and that equates to he will never play on Sundays? This kid is so gifted that it isn't even fair. He will prove you wrong in whatever 2 all-star games he choses to play in.

Wasn't just one game, it was a championship game:bang:

WSBE
December 10th, 2006, 08:53 PM
The stats bear that out. Last year, Williams caught 50 balls, 5 for TD's. This year, in 13 games, looks like TE caught 13 balls. Big difference in production, especially when you consider lots of those catches in '05 were 1st options, giving Santos another primary receiver and taking some extra coverage off WR's, including Ball. Now, I am sure the TE's did a great job blocking this year, but fast strike capability was obviously way, way down.

TE was one of the few positions McDonnell mentioned he was recruiting this offseason (TE, DL, big WR).

As for the existing roster...Scott Sicko seems to be the top candidate to replace J Williams 05/Sean Lynch 06. Sicko played in the same conference as I did in high school..I asked some old friends last year, (one coach of a rival team & my cousin who played with him)...they both couldn't believe he wasn't playing at a top 20 BCS school...they said he was special...I think I remember them telling me he didn't play footbal until his Junior year or something like that. Anyway - look at the notes on him below...11 receiving TD in high school? that's huge. Also - I list the other guys I'm aware of at TE...

Scott Sicko, Fr. a 6-3, 230-pound TE/DE from Stillwater, N.Y., joins the UNH football family after playing at LaSalle Institute in Troy, NY. On the offensive side of the ball he compiled 33 catches for 700 yds., averaging 21 yds. per catch to go with his 11 touchdown receptions. Sicko was named to New York State's first-team all-academic squad, was named second-team all-state as a gridder, and he was named first-team all-area twice. He will add size and speed to either side of the ball. He has great size potential and is an outstanding two-way player.

Steve Young, Fr. a 6-4, 240-pound DE/TE from Rochester, N.H. is another of many Granite State players who have decided to play their football close to home in Durham. A big, athletic player who can play on either side of the ball, Union Leader first team all-state tight end. Young was ranked in Varsity Magazine as the No. 1 tight end in New Hampshire. His size potential gives him the opportunity to add depth to the UNH defensive line.

Cameron Fisk Fr. 6-2 230 Keene, NH...all I’ve heard about this kid is that he’s Carlton Fisks nephew!

Kamal Mohammed Fr. (R) 6-6, 225 pound TE from San Diego, Calif…..I saw him in practice…very tall but very skinny….looked like a tall Todd Pinkston to me

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Based on the two deep at the end of the season, then I'd expect Scott Sicko to be the top candidate for starting TE next season. I don't know if he played this season. I'm pretty sure he didn't move into the backup role until after midseason. It would be nice if he didn't burn a year of eligibility this season.

Based on articles I read back when the recruits were announced in February, I think Young is viewed as more of a DE than TE at UNH. Frankly, there is more depth on the offensive line and hopefully Young can fill a void on the DL.

WSBE
December 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I think Young is viewed as more of a DE than TE at UNH. Frankly, there is more depth on the offensive line and hopefully Young can fill a void on the DL.[/QUOTE]

One thing I think is missing on defense is "beef" upfront...the short yardage stoppers....(you know the reverse logic of why UNH couldn't run the ball needed a half yard against UMASS, costing them the game)

I would love to have a UNH insider shed some light on who was emerging in practice this year as the future stars or expected starters on Dline....

Any UNH fans know anything about Jordon Long (redshirt Freshman)?...he was listed as #2 on the depth chart for DL.

Look at this description of one of lats year's recruits for DL (Olsen) ..his measurables have DE or DL written all over them! tell me he couldn't add 25 lbs to that frame by next September (if not already) & be a force? How about Larkin at 300+...sounds like a prototypical D-lineman with speed!

David Olsen, a 6-6, 235-pound OL/DL from San Diego, Calif. is a physical two-way lineman with 4.9 clockings in the 40 yd. dash while at The Berkshire School. He has outstanding feet and athletic ability and can move very well for a lineman. Olsen was an outstanding athlete at Claremont High School San Diego before attending The Berkshire School in Sheffield, Mass. for one year. David was voted Lineman of the Year at Berkshire. A versatile athlete, David also played volleyball at Claremont & hockey at the Berkshire School. His athleticism will add depth to the offensive tackle position at UNH

Dan Larkin, a 6-4, 305-pound, OL/DL, from Rochelle Park, N.J., helped lead Bergen Catholic High School to a 20-4 record with him as a starter over the past two seasons. Larkin was a crushing run-blocker for the Crusaders and an athletic pass blocker as his team finished 10-2 in 2004 and won a Parochial Group 4 state championship title. Dan is impressive in the weight room as well with a bench press of 385 pounds and a squat of over 550 pounds. He is also capable of running the 40-yard dash in 5.08 seconds. "Dan is very intense and dedicated in everything that he does. He is a great fit and will have an opportunity to make a big impact on our program," said UNH defensive coordinator Mike Dawson. Coach McDonnell on Larkin: "Dan is a very big and intense young man who is dedicated in everything that he does. He is a great fit for us and will have an opportunity to make an impact in our program."

rcny46
December 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
When you look at the roster,there doesn't seem to be a lot of defensive linemen listed.I think there are only eight(I'm assuming that Dan Larkin will end up playing on the O line) mentioned who are due back in `07.If I'm correct,just five of them will have any experience-Peters,Wright,Brown,Perdoni,and Taylor,and that's a little disconcerting.They may have to rely on some incoming freshman stud if they can recruit someone who fits that description, move some people from O to D,or move a linebacker with some size up to the trenches.They seem to have a large group of offensive lineman and a lot of quality there,and I know that in the past,they have had to shuffle people from one side of the ball to the other out of necessity.One thing's for certain;they definitely have to come up with a solution.If it ends up being a problem area,it could be a long season.

UNH 40
December 12th, 2006, 07:33 AM
At the TE position Scott Sicko will be the guy next season. He was the back-up for Sean Linch from day 1. He would have started against Northwestern if Linch had not been able to return from a high ankle sprain that he suffered in fall camp. Sicko did see limited action this year at TE. He had several catches and was a special teams contributer. As far as the DL is conserned I believe TJ Taylor is a future star in the A-10. He is extremely strong, he is fast (fast enough that he ran down on kick off and was the first one to the wedge every time) and has good size at 6'1" 275. The most impressive part about him is the motor that he plays with, he plays extremely hard and is tenacious. At the other DT position I would expect to see Marvin Wright 6'3" 270 with great athleticism, and speed to move from DE to DT. He played well all season and really came on towards the end of the year. At DE I think Tyler Brown will be the guy. He started and played well until suffering an ankle injury against JMU that essentially sidelined him for the season. And lastly at the other DE spot it will be a battle between Kevin Peters and Matt Perdoni who both play very well as the season progressed.

Larkin is a Guard and will be battling with McClurg 6'3" 290 and don't be surprised to see the name Tom Neill 6'4" 290 in the mix as well to fill the hole left by Tucker Peterson at LG.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
You've gotta love a TE or DE with a last name like Sicko.

Speaking of UNH, from what I can see, you guys do have a nice weight room compliments of Jerry Azumah. Maybe Mr. Azumah would be willing to donate for some new stands?

WSBE
December 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
thank you for the insight UNH 40....I did watch all those guys play & was impressed....very athletic

I saw Sicko on campus the other day....looked skinny...I hope he is dedicated in the offseason....weight room baby...Scotty, my man, think about being WPA winner Santos' redzone target! Make it happen!

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM
At the TE position Scott Sicko will be the guy next season. He was the back-up for Sean Linch from day 1. He would have started against Northwestern if Linch had not been able to return from a high ankle sprain that he suffered in fall camp. Sicko did see limited action this year at TE. He had several catches and was a special teams contributer. As far as the DL is conserned I believe TJ Taylor is a future star in the A-10. He is extremely strong, he is fast (fast enough that he ran down on kick off and was the first one to the wedge every time) and has good size at 6'1" 275. The most impressive part about him is the motor that he plays with, he plays extremely hard and is tenacious. At the other DT position I would expect to see Marvin Wright 6'3" 270 with great athleticism, and speed to move from DE to DT. He played well all season and really came on towards the end of the year. At DE I think Tyler Brown will be the guy. He started and played well until suffering an ankle injury against JMU that essentially sidelined him for the season. And lastly at the other DE spot it will be a battle between Kevin Peters and Matt Perdoni who both play very well as the season progressed.

Larkin is a Guard and will be battling with McClurg 6'3" 290 and don't be surprised to see the name Tom Neill 6'4" 290 in the mix as well to fill the hole left by Tucker Peterson at LG.

These kids all have the potential to be good, but -- bottom line -- can they give us a pass rush? To get into and go deep into the playoffs, QB pressure is critical. You face too many talented QB's & WR's at that stage of the season to ask for consistently great coverage by DB's.

Whatever happened to that "tackle for a loss" dynamic DE from two years ago? Another one of those great VT kids, if I remember correctly! :smiley_wi

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 16th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Now that we've seen how to slow down Mr. Efficiency, UMASS's QB Liam Coen, let's definitely get some play makers on the Defensive Line in a hurry!

rcny46
December 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Now that we've seen how to slow down Mr. Efficiency, UMASS's QB Liam Coen, let's definitely get some play makers on the Defensive Line in a hurry!

Agreed.Unfortunately,that's easier said than done sometimes.I think the starters next year will be very good,but it's the depth I'm concerned about.I'm looking forward to early February and the listing of the new recruits.

UNHWildCats
December 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
According to scouts.com a WR with a 3 star ranking is considering UNH.

Tim Cotazzo is a 6 foot 185 lb WR with a 40 sped of 4.39

Among other schools still on his list are Akron, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Temple, Toledo and West Virginia.

Tubby Raymond
December 17th, 2006, 06:16 PM

You gotta have players on defense the way that Appy has players on defense. Sean don't recruit players like that for defense, always #2:eyebrow:

UNH 40
December 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Sept. 8 at James Madison
Sept. 15 at Marshall
Sept. 22 DARTMOUTH
Sept. 29 at Richmond
Oct. 6 DELAWARE
Oct. 20 at Hofstra
Oct. 27 RHODE ISLAND
Nov. 3 NORTHEASTERN
Nov. 10 at Massachusetts
Nov. 17 MAINE

Don't like this schedule at all. I like the teams that they play and where the play them, but the thing that I really don't like is for the second year in a row UNH will have there by week during the first week of the season and then play 11 strait. I firmly believe that that had a big affect on how this team played down the stretch. Having that by week is tremendously important to the players health.

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I smell a road trip for October 27th. I always love going to New Hampshire. Hopefully we won't give up 62 points like this year. If we do then it'll be an early exit and a trip to Newick's, which I hope is still there.

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I smell a road trip for October 27th. I always love going to New Hampshire. Hopefully we won't give up 62 points :bang: like this year. If we do then it'll be an early exit and a trip to Newick's, :beerchug: :beerchug: which I hope is still there.

UNHWildCats
December 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM
http://www.newicks.com/locations.html

Will
December 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
UNH has a commitment from Kevon Mason, a very talented 6'4, 195 lb. WR from Xaverian in suburban Boston. He committed to them in September, and had a huge senior season.

I think Travis Negron may end up their #1 receiver next year, he looked very good in limited minutes this year.

WSBE
December 18th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Will....thanks for the Kevon Mason tip. I can't believe I haven't heard him mentioned yet. Wow. In 10 minutes on the net...I just found a lot of good info on him (below)...even practice videos in one of the links below. He definitely 6-4+ & over 200lbs already. He's more recently listed as 205. He looks big vs. skinny...so many references to amazing catches & RAC yards! It sounds like he flew under the radar a bit & blossomed late. Too bad Ricky wasn't around 2 more years but I hear RJ Toman & new recruits could be step up after 07. Could this kid be an impact as a freshman?

Ht: 6-foot-4
Wt: 205 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Rivals.com Rating: NR (About)

The Latest: Local sleeper is a huge WR prospect — 6/1/2006

Wide receiver Kevon Mason out of Westwood (Mass.) Xaverian Brothers is an ultimate sleeper prospect. The 6-foot-4, 195-pounder saw little experience for the Hawks last season hauling in just three receptions according...[

The top 20 of 2006
Xaverian's Kevon Mason reels in a long pass from quarterback Greg Hyman and turns it into a touchdown. It was just one of many spectacular catches (and runs) that University of New Hampshire-bound Mason made this fall.

Bio Notes: Mason is a sleeper prospect that has seen little playing time behind 2006 three-star prospect Chris Fox. He recently won the Division I triple jump

Kevon Mason's catch -- This University of New Hampshire-bound wide receiver has made some pretty special grabs this year (and even more spectacular runs off of simple passes), but none can top this performance (watch it here). Mason never gives up on the ball and utilizes every available limb to keep it from touching the turf. What's amazing is that he falls backwards into the end zone, but manages to wiggle around nearly 180 degrees to tip the ball with his right leg and then his right hand before drawing it in. ESPN might have only ranked it No. 4 on their plays of the day, but we'll give it No. 1.

And there’s blossoming senior Kevon Mason, the 16-year-old wide receiver whose 6-foot-5 frame has more colleges inquiring each day.

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/extras/schools_blog/2006/11/further_review_9.html

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/football/articles/2006/09/07/reks_and_effects/

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/gallery/12_08_2006_top_20?pg=8

http://www.maxpreps.com/Galleries.aspx/ImageList?PhotogalleryID=6663ace9-ab42-4665-828a-bfef5a0a00e3&SC=GalleryType:AthleteGallery&EventName=Kevon%20Mason&SaveReferrer=true

Cobblestone
December 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM
http://www.newicks.com/locations.html

Thank you for that. I always enjoyed the trip to the Dover place after the UNH game. I'm glad to see they are still there.

Good luck to UNH this season, except on Oct. 27th that is.:smiley_wi

Will
December 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
UNH is also recruiting Walter Fallas, a 6'3, 240 lb. LB from state champ Everett High in Massachusetts. UMass, Delaware and URI are all after him as well.

Another name is Tim Wells, a 6'2 WR from Abington (MA).

rcny46
December 19th, 2006, 03:17 PM
UNH is also recruiting Walter Fallas, a 6'3, 240 lb. LB from state champ Everett High in Massachusetts. UMass, Delaware and URI are all after him as well.

Another name is Tim Wells, a 6'2 WR from Abington (MA).

Thanks to you,WSBE,and UNHWildCats for the info regarding potential Wildcat recruits.It's not easy to try and find out what's going on as far as recruiting is concerned.Now and then something is reported in the local press,but that's usually sketchy at best.

GoWildcats789
December 22nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Hey guys just I'd give you some updates on some recruit info...

They've got verbals so far from (aside from Mason)...

DE John Murray 6'2 234lbs 5.1-40 from PA
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=47679

OLB Mark Petercuskie 6'1 212lbs 4.7-40 from MA (was reported in the Union Leader earlier)
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=48347

CB Chaz Cervino 5'10 174lbs 4.47-40 from NJ (also played QB)
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31303

rcny46
December 23rd, 2006, 12:50 AM
Hey guys just I'd give you some updates on some recruit info...

They've got verbals so far from (aside from Mason)...

DE John Murray 6'2 234lbs 5.1-40 from PA
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=47679

OLB Mark Petercuskie 6'1 212lbs 4.7-40 from MA (was reported in the Union Leader earlier)
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=48347

CB Chaz Cervino 5'10 174lbs 4.47-40 from NJ (also played QB)

An article in the MUL,12/22,said that Murray was 240LBS. and ran a 4.8-40.Cervino's coach (mentioned in the same article) paid him a nice compliment by saying he was the best HS football player he has ever seen.

Pauly LB
December 23rd, 2006, 07:12 AM
So, who is in line to play QB if Santos gets hurt (heaven forbid)?

UNH 40
December 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
TJ Toman a redshirt freshman from Cali. is probably next in line.

UNHWildCats
December 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Hank Hendricks who will be a Junior next season was #2 on the depth chart this year and likely will be again next year. He would prolly be #1 going into 2008 with Toman #2 Toman would then be inline to start in 2009 and 2010

http://www.unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=F84DA6E8-041B-2D0B-D1FD4FF3B8D34980&profile=FACF6425-D954-79CB-A72B110EB1DC6675

GoWildcats789
December 23rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hank Hendricks who will be a Junior next season was #2 on the depth chart this year and likely will be again next year. He would prolly be #1 going into 2008 with Toman #2 Toman would then be inline to start in 2009 and 2010

http://www.unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=F84DA6E8-041B-2D0B-D1FD4FF3B8D34980&profile=FACF6425-D954-79CB-A72B110EB1DC6675

I remember an article in the union leader where Coach Mac said if Ricky went down they'd take the redshirt off Toman and have him start. I think it's safe to say their grooming Toman to be the next in line.

WrenFGun
December 26th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Toman just looks like an interesting fellow. I saw him on the sidelines a bit, even warming up, and he looked pretty good.

I'm really excited about the Mason commit, and also liked what I saw from Negron last season. We certainly do need some size on defense, so I hope that's where we go next.

WSBE
December 28th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I remember an article in the union leader where Coach Mac said if Ricky went down they'd take the redshirt off Toman and have him start. I think it's safe to say their grooming Toman to be the next in line.

I heard the same thing this year & it raised my eyebrows. Hendriks #2 on depth chart but it was stated pretty clearly that Toman was so impressive that he would most likely be the starter should Santos go down...makes you feel pretty good about 2008...

GoWildcats789
December 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Here's an update for Wildcat Nation....

The QB situation just gets more interesting by the day as the 'Cats have recieved a verbal from Kevin Decker a QB from CT...

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 176 lbs
Forty: 5.18 secs
Vertical: 24 inches
Shuttle: 4.44 secs

Says he had interested from BC, UConn, Florida State, Northwestern, Tenn, Vir, and Yale.... but take that all with a grain of salt

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=39048

UNHWildCats
December 31st, 2006, 11:18 PM
The Manchester Union Leader has more on Kevin Decker

The football team has landed another winner of a quarterback who likes to throw the ball.

Kevin Decker, a 6-foot-3 and 185-pounder from Armonk, N.Y., was 34-1 as a starter over the last four seasons at The Brunswick School in Greenwich, Conn. He was the Boston Globe's Class C prep school Player of the Year the last three seasons.

Decker threw for 1,606 yards and 24 touchdowns and had eight interceptions last season.

He told the UNH coaches that he wanted to accept their offer of a scholarship a few days before Christmas.

Decker said he had a scholarship offer from Hofstra and that the University of Massachusetts got involved with him late, but he told them that he was more interested in UNH.

He said McDonnell and offensive coordinator Chip Kelly had seen tape of his junior year and offered him a scholarship at the Boston College camp last summer.

Decker was at UNH's first practice last season and then came back for UNH's game against Richmond, which the Wildcats won 27-17 with a comeback.

"If I had any doubts, and there weren't a lot, they were resolved at the game when I saw the crowd and the offense and how crazy it was," Decker said. "The offense is awesome."

GoWildcats789
January 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Another UNH commit....

Ryan McGuinness
Safety
New Berlin (NY) Milford Academy
Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 195 lbs
Forty: 4.45 secs

Offers from Monmouth and SE Missouri St.... interest from Kansas and Temple
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=49585

UNH 1999
January 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Nice to see UNH putting together a nice class for 2007! And I am sure the success of the past seasons will pay off in the recruiting battles. Anyone have info on potential o-line signees?

WSBE
January 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I thought this thread would be the best place to point this out for UNH fans....

As you may know, David Ball is putting his talents on the line at the East West Shrine game (Sat 6pm ESPN2). The week of practice (vs. the game) is more important & filled with NFL scouts. So with many talented kids there & very little press coverage - David Ball is turning heads!! I repeat - there is so little press coverage that being written up among all this 1A talent is notable. Not a surprise to me as I saw him do things that I thought were best-in-class (at any level)...so this is nice to read (& helps his draft potential).....

January 15, 2007
Shrine Bowl Practice Report - Monday
I made it out to the Texans practice bubble to check out both the East and West practices. The practices were attended by mostly NFL scouts but there were a few position coaches there as well.
* David Ball (WR, New Hampshire) made a terrific "hands" catch over CB Daniel Francis (LSU) on a deep ball to end the East's practice.

From NFL Draft Scouts:
1/16/07 East West Shrine, East Team Tuesday Practice Report; New Hampshire wideout David Ball had a solid practice, as well. Questions remain about his deep speed, but Ball showed just enough quickness to consistently get open & has vacuum hands

last updated: 01/18/07
The Houston Chronicle's East-West Shrine Game Practice Report -- wide receivers Jarrett Hicks and David Ball are impressing N.F.L. scouts.

Will
January 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to catch some of the game tonight.

GoWildcats789
January 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Ball having a great game... 3 catches for 80 yards... his 60 yard catch was one of the best ive ever seen... simply amazing...

my prediction he gets drafted anywhere from rounds 3-5

UNHWildCats
January 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if New England took him late third round if hes there I expect they will use there atleast 3 poicks in the first 2 rounds on defensive players then look towards a WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

Tubby Raymond
January 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM
Wish he would have had those vacuum hands against UMASS?

GoWildcats789
January 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Looked like UNH will lose Chaz Cervino cb who verbaled... seems he just recently pulled in offers from Syracuse and Colorado

that's really too bad because the kid prob would have done wonders for the program....

UNH 40
January 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
It will be interesting to see how this thing pans out. Both Syracuse and Colorado have been pretty lowly of late, especially Cuse. From what I saw of his highlight film he looks like a great talent it would be too bad if UNH loses him.

UNH 40
January 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Has UNH found a player who can help them fill the void left by David Ball.

Reported by the Union Leader.

One weekend remains in the football recruiting season, before the national letter of intent day on Feb. 7 when recruits commit on paper to accepting scholarships.

A receiver out of the College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, Calif., and a couple of linemen are among the most recent recruits to choose UNH.

J.T. Wright, a 6-foot-1 wide receiver out of Agoura, Calif., had 17 catches for 239 yards and three touchdowns in his only season of junior college football at Canyons last fall. He has three years of eligibility remaining and is already enrolled at UNH and will be able to go through winter workouts and take part in spring practice.

Wright originally committed verbally to Wisconsin a year ago, but ended up in junior college after a coaching change, according to newspaper reports in California.

Will
January 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
UNH already has 9 verbal commitments, I wonder how many more scholarships they have to give?

WSBE
January 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I hope Cervino chooses UNH....his video clips were amazing....his 4.4 speed was evident. he could probably start as a freshman, get a great education, & have a good chance to win a national title but we'll see

in case the write up on the other recruit wasn't posted from the same Union Leader article:

...George Pecoraro, a 6-4, 250-pound offensive lineman from Cresskill, N.J., and Brian McNally, a 6-4, 230-pound defensive linemen from Cornwall, N.Y., have both given verbal commitments to UNH.

Pecoraro, a three-year starter at Cresskill High School, is also a center on the basketball team and an outstanding thrower in track, said football coach Bob Valli.

"He brings a great work ethic and he's a tremendous leader," Valli said. "In football, I think his strengths are is his footwork, his agility and his determination. He's a borderline Division I (Football Bowl Subdivision) kid."

Florida International, an FBS school, offered Pecoraro a scholarship and others had interest in him, Valli said. He turned down offers from Maine and Hofstra, the coach said.

Matt Henry, UNH's punter and a wide receiver the last few years, is also from Cresskill.

McNally, who had 10 sacks for his 11-2 team, accepted a scholarship on his way back from a recruiting visit to Maine last Sunday, said Cornwall coach Matt Buddenhagen.

"He's got great feet and he's quick off the ball," the coach said. "And he can put on at least 20 more pounds, no problem. His hands are enormous and he has a big wing span. He's been playing the position for four years and he's great with his hands and he shortens the angles and is able to get to the quarterback."

Maine and Stony Brook offered scholarships, Buddenhagen said, and Connecticut and Temple looked at him as a tight end.

WrenFGun
January 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Bummer on Cervino. I guess we'll find out soon.

The J.T. Wright pickup sure looks like a big one. A kid who isn't a true freshman coming in with three years of eligiblity will be a big boost for the position. Also, considering how well Wisconsin churns out pro prospects at the WR position, I'm pretty excited about that pickup.

Can someone recap the 9 recruits for me?

Will
January 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Can someone recap the 9 recruits for me?

Kevon Mason WR
JT Wright WR
Chaz Cervino CB
Kevin Decker QB
Ryan McGuinness S
Mark Petercuskie OLB
John Murray DE
George Pecoraro OL
Brian McNally DL

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM
UNH already has 9 verbal commitments, I wonder how many more scholarships they have to give?

During the past couple of years, this recruiting period has had on average 13 signees. IIRC, this year's departing class numbered 16. So, I'm guessing we can expect 13-16 scholarships to give this time around.

There were also a couple of guys with another year of eligibility that decided not to return. So, maybe the number could even climb to 18? BTW, this is not based on any kind of inside knowledge, only from what I read in the newspapers.

GoWildcats789
January 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
JT Wright's rivals link... http://washingtonstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=38561

he has 2 stars and a ranking of 5.4 (the highest of all our recruits so far)... this is my favorite part... "Wright was previously recruited by Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Nevada and Utah State."

sounds like a great pick up for the "Cats!!

WSBE
January 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
JT Wright is great news.....but I would encourage anyone to watch Cervinos highlights & look at his stats....this guy is the best of the bunch. I really hope he chooses UNH. Message to Cervino: Bill Clinton AND G Bush senior are speaking at the 2007 commencement address at UNH...can you say the same about Syracuse or Colorado? Plus our QB Santos is better than both their QBs combined....

I also think Kevin Mason is going to be a very very exciting player....

Sir William
January 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Question: When is UNH going to get a much needed (and much deserved) new stadium? Or at least renovations? I used to live in NH and could not believe the lack of facility amenities. Hope you get at least an upgrade in the near future. Loved the Wildcats while I was up there (although they did not win a lot then - late 90s, post-Azumah).

Old Cat Fan
January 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Message to Cervino come to UNH and be a standout star in the FCS or go to Syracuse and get lost in a sea of equal talent in the BCS

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 31st, 2007, 07:29 AM
Question: When is UNH going to get a much needed (and much deserved) new stadium? Or at least renovations? I used to live in NH and could not believe the lack of facility amenities. Hope you get at least an upgrade in the near future. Loved the Wildcats while I was up there (although they did not win a lot then - late 90s, post-Azumah).

There has been alot of talk about a new stadium for the last couple years.
I saw the drawing of it for the first time in early 2004.
Sadly the talk has died down the last couple of months.
The last talk I heard was of up grades to the current stadium.
We really need a new facility if we're going to continue to compete at a high level.

UNH 40
January 31st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Interesting note on Kevin Mason he is 6'4" 205 lbs and just turned 17 in December. He still has some growing to do. In a year or two of working out with strength coaches and maturing he has a chance to in the 6'5" 225-230 range. That would be scary. That being said I am not sure that they will allow him to play this season knowing that he is so young and raw and with five years in college will really pay off for him.

WSBE
January 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Interesting note on Kevin Mason he is 6'4" 205 lbs and just turned 17 in December. He still has some growing to do. In a year or two of working out with strength coaches and maturing he has a chance to in the 6'5" 225-230 range. That would be scary. That being said I am not sure that they will allow him to play this season knowing that he is so young and raw and with five years in college will really pay off for him.

UNH 40....it's very true. I'm no scout but in terms of evaluating talent with the naked eye...it is so clear that his body is well proportioned, with a frame that can expand & still be athletic. It was the first thing I noticed when I say pictures & video of him...that he didn't just look tall & skinny. Look at it this way - he hasn't run a play in college yet & with 5-10 more pounds, he would already measure in the top 5 for size in this year's WR NFL draft pool. So does he have the talent? Well, we read from several sources that he made spectacular catches & runs all year...that he runs a 4.6 in high school...that he hardly played his Junior year because he behind a 3 star prospect...that he is blossoming...that he was a triple jump champion..blah blah blah. UNH could have landed an impact WR for many years.

GoWildcats789
February 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
UNH just got a verbal from a "big" time WR prosect..

Introducing 6'6 208 pound Chris Jeannot from Moon Township (PA)
Forty: 4.8 secs
Vertical: 25 inches

Interest from: Lousiville, Stanford, Delaware and Harvard

http://washingtonstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=53855

Will
February 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
He'll probably end up a TE. Promsing pickup, though.

WrenFGun
February 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
If he does wind up at TE, probably a good move. We kind of need to add some depth there. We've got some huge guys with lots of potential, but no one who really has done anything at that position (particularly if Sicko leaves the team...can anyone confirm or deny that rumor?). You have to be excited about some of the young weapons UNH is adding to their roster. A little light on the defense, though!

WSBE
February 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
If he does wind up at TE, probably a good move. We kind of need to add some depth there. We've got some huge guys with lots of potential, but no one who really has done anything at that position (particularly if Sicko leaves the team...can anyone confirm or deny that rumor?). You have to be excited about some of the young weapons UNH is adding to their roster. A little light on the defense, though!

What? Sicko is leaving? why? is he transferring? If anyone knows something here...please post it.

Good point on defense but my guess is Cervino would start at Corner as a Fr if he signs

WrenFGun
February 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
I just read somewhere else that Cervino will inform UNH he's leaving.

As for Sicko, the rumor is pretty unsubstantiated. I heard it on another UNH board, but the poster seemed pretty adamant that Sicko was seriously considering a transfer. I'm not sure why he would make that information up. I'd be glad to hear someone refute it, of course.

GoWildcats789
February 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
What? Sicko is leaving? why? is he transferring? If anyone knows something here...please post it.

Good point on defense but my guess is Cervino would start at Corner as a Fr if he signs

Sicko is not leaving... you'll see him on the field next year... and Cervino is choosing between Syracuse and Colorado on Tuesday...

Will
February 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Not surprisingly, Chaz Cervino signed with Syracuse today. Looks like he might player receiver there.

Any word on new recruits?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Saw the list on the UNH web site:

UNH Football Recruits (http://www.unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA1D6500-9C14-9F72-F17E60B7B6771786&pid=9DBC9BFB-B18B-BE84-49B26D9B13815343&archive=0)

GoWildcats789
February 7th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Sean Cullen TE/DE 6-4 220 Naples, Fla./Barron Collier HS
-
Kevin Decker QB 6-3 180 Armonk, N.Y./The Brunswick School
-
John Duffey DB/WR 6-2 200 Tarentum, Pa./Highlands HS
-
Jayson Elmore OL/DL 6-3 230 Hershey, Pa./Hershey HS
-
Kyle Flemings DB/RB 5-11 175 Forty Fort, Pa./Bishop Hoban HS
-
Terrance Fox WR/DB 5-9 165 Piscataway, N.J./Piscataway HS
-
Anthony Gorell-Shorts DB/WR 5-11 170 Clayton, N.J./Notre Dame HS
-
Chris Jeannot WR/TE 6-6 220 Moon Township, Pa./Moon Area HS
-
Kevon Mason WR/DB 6-4 200 Quincy, Mass./Xavarian Brothers HS
-
Ryan McGuinness DB/WR 6-0 190 Howell, N.J./Milford Academy
-
Brian McNally DE/TE 6-4 225 Cornwall, N.Y/Cornwall HS
-
John Murray DL/OL 6-3 240 Aston, Pa./Garnet Valley HS
-
George Pecoraro OL/DL 6-4 245 Cresskill, N.J./Cresskill HS
-
Mark Petercuskie LB/TE 6-0 210 Holliston, Mass./Holliston HS
-
J.T. Wright WR/K 6-0 200 Agoura Hills, Calif./College of the Canyons

Will
February 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
They sure signed a lot of DBs, WRs, and TEs.

Why don't they ever sign I-A transfers like Delaware and UMass?

UNHWildCats
February 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Its tough to getb someone to come from a I-A stadium to Cowell, thats like asking A Rod to go from playing at Yankee Stadium to some beat down stadium in Mexico

WrenFGun
February 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Not really a surprise on that. They lost a load of WR's, and I like the guys they got back. Mason and Wright have good size and look like they could be traditional guys, while a couple others look like speed guys who they can run their traditional offense with. Those undersized guys are real steals for UNH because they use them quite a bit, and they might have gone to better schools if they had more height. At TE, UNH currently has nothing, so it's no surprise. At DB, UNH lost Graham and a bunch of depth, so it's understandable. I really liked what we got. Lots of talent it seems.

UNHFan99
February 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I like that UNH doesnt go out and get transfers. I think the coaching staff is very loyal to the players they recruit. My personal feelings towards some 1-A transfers is that they have quit somewhere else for whatever reason and are looking for an easier path. Why would you want a quiter on your team. This is of course not true in every case, but might be hold true in some. Plus the money you would give to a transfer is money that could go to a guy that has worked his butt off for the coaches for 2 or 3 years already.

WrenFGun
February 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I think there is a lot to be said about getting a kid for four years.

Additionally, UNH has a unique offensive system, and I think they like to get offensive kids out of high school who haven't been exposed to much else. As for the defensive side of the ball, I'd take anything with a pulse.

VT Wildcat Fan53
February 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I like that UNH doesnt go out and get transfers. I think the coaching staff is very loyal to the players they recruit. My personal feelings towards some 1-A transfers is that they have quit somewhere else for whatever reason and are looking for an easier path. Why would you want a quiter on your team. This is of course not true in every case, but might be hold true in some. Plus the money you would give to a transfer is money that could go to a guy that has worked his butt off for the coaches for 2 or 3 years already.

Coach MacDonnell is VERY loyal to the kids he recruits - both scholarship kids and walk-ons. He learned from the best on that issue: former HC and UNH legend Bill Bowes (for whom Sean both played and coached). UNH has a great walk-on program that results in many, many contributers and starters before they are done (Sean was one himself). UNH also is very, very particular about the character of the kids they recruit--another feather in Sean's cap and a great source of pride for all UNH grads, ....:thumbsup: