PDA

View Full Version : Week 4 (9/28) STATS Top 25

Professor Chaos
September 28th, 2015, 12:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-missouri-valley-matchups-highlight-fcs-top-25-170707574--ncaaf.html

Rank School Votes Prev
1 Jacksonville State (3-1) 3814 (89) 1
2 Coastal Carolina (4-0) 3705 (40) 2
3 North Dakota State (2-1) 3594 (16) 3
4 Illinois State (2-1) 3356 (2) 4
5 South Dakota State (3-0) 3242 (6) 6
6 James Madison (4-0) 3187 (4) 9
7 UNI (2-1) 3075 (1) 7
8 Chattanooga (3-1) 2776 8
9 Eastern Washington (2-2) 2532 11
10 Youngstown State (2-1) 2071 13
11 Montana State (2-1) 2053 15
12 Sam Houston State (1-2) 1986 12
13 Montana (2-2) 1897 14
14 Villanova (2-2) 1836 5
15 Fordham (3-1) 1713 16
16 Portland State (3-0) 1604 17
17 Eastern Kentucky (2-1) 1269 18
18 Liberty (2-2) 1251 10
19 Richmond (2-1) 1117 19
20 New Hampshire (2-2) 872 21
21 Indiana State (2-1) 774 22
22 Southeastern Louisiana (2-1) 719 23
23 McNeese State (3-0) 688 25
24 Harvard (2-0) 640 24
25 William & Mary (2-1) 544 NR

Others: Lamar (269) , Cal Poly (183) , North Dakota (145) , Southern Illinois (49) , Furman (48) , Stony Brook (45) , North Carolina A&T (41) , Northern Arizona (40) , Western Illinois (38) , Alcorn State (33) , Samford (28) , Penn (20) , South Dakota (17) , South Carolina State (15) , Dartmouth (14) , Princeton (11) , Charleston Southern (10) , Bethune-Cookman (7) , Tennessee State (6) , Bryant (6) , Jacksonville (5) , Idaho State (3) , UT Martin (1) , Abilene Christian (1)

veinup
September 28th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Montana way too high.

clenz
September 28th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Wait...UNI got a 1st place vote?

Come on people

Professor Chaos
September 28th, 2015, 12:33 PM
The STATS pollsters were very very kind to Villanova keeping them at 14. I also think JMU should be in the top 3.

There's two top 7 matchups in this poll this week with #3 NDSU @ #5 SDSU and #7 UNI @ #4 Illinois St.

tribe_pride
September 28th, 2015, 12:36 PM
From the CAA, Nova and UNH too high and W&M too low - you can say JMU slightly too low as well but being at 6 not much to move at this point.

RootinFerDukes
September 28th, 2015, 12:39 PM
For JMU to move up further at this point, we would need teams ahead of us to lose while we obviously keep winning. If the others keep winning, we can't advance.
*end obvious statement*

WM at 25 is terrible. Underrated at this point. They should be top 20 at least.

centennial
September 28th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Coastal and Illinois State are overrated. Jacksonville State didn't look like the #1 team- They were a couple of calls away from losing that game. There is a lot of parity in the FCS this year.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Montana way too high.

Let the sandbagging begin!

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2015, 12:46 PM
New Hampshire is ahead of William & Mary? I don't know if I can let that sink in...WOW! W&M just beat Stony Brook by 21 the week after Stony Brook beats UNH by 25 was it? Only Tribe loss was less than a TD at UVA...

Cmon people that's embarassing.

RabidRabbit
September 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM
For JMU to move up further at this point, we would need teams ahead of us to lose while we obviously keep winning. If the others keep winning, we can't advance.
*end obvious statement*

With UNI/IL St and SDSU/NDSU playing this week, going to have two above/near you lose. The question as everyone gets into conference play, is how much shifting can occur if teams that are #3 & #5 play in a tight game, and #5 wins, shouldn't be much shift?

RootinFerDukes
September 28th, 2015, 12:51 PM
With UNI/IL St and SDSU/NDSU playing this week, going to have two above/near you lose. The question as everyone gets into conference play, is how much shifting can occur if teams that are #3 & #5 play in a tight game, and #5 wins, shouldn't be much shift?
yeah, if sdsu loses, we will probably pass you. if ndsu loses, sdsu may be 2 while ndsu is 4 or 5. They don't fall that much in top matchups when you're ranked that high.

X-Factor
September 28th, 2015, 12:51 PM
*end obvious statement*

By default, 1 and possibly 2 of the teams above JMU will lose this Saturday. That doesn't necessarily guarantee they will drop, but there is plenty of room for JMU to move up. For me, the jury is still out on the turnovers, which have been a bit concerning the last few weeks, despite some obvious firepower on offense.

RootinFerDukes
September 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM
By default, 1 and possibly 2 of the teams above JMU will lose this Saturday. That doesn't necessarily guarantee they will drop, but there is plenty of room for JMU to move up. For me, the jury is still out on the turnovers, which have been a bit concerning the last few weeks, despite some obvious firepower on offense.
without question our achilles heel. four of his 10 TOs have been fluky deflections, but even six is too many through four games. He needs to stop forcing passes into tight windows. we also run a lot of plays which can increase the likelihood of turnovers.

clenz
September 28th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I see no reason that the winner of NDSU/SDSU shouldn't move to #1 based on what we've seen from JSU outside of that Auburn game.

jmrepak
September 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I see no reason that the winner of NDSU/SDSU shouldn't move to #1 based on what we've seen from JSU outside of that Auburn game.
Unfortunately for us, I agree with that. We have a true cupcake this week and then start conference play, so unless SDSU, NDSU and JSU all hit losses in the next few weeks I can see us dropping to 5th.

Mayville Bison
September 28th, 2015, 01:27 PM

If one of the MVFC 4 blows out the other, I'd definitely put them at #1. If both games are within a TD and JSU looks like they should against a winless MVSU, I'd keep them at #1. I stopped watching the JSU game at the end of the 3rd, so I don't know what happened in the 4th, but they looked good for 3 quarters. You take away 15 seconds from the game and it's 42-6 heading into the 4th.

ngineer
September 28th, 2015, 01:29 PM
The STATS pollsters were very very kind to Villanova keeping them at 14. I also think JMU should be in the top 3.

There's two top 7 matchups in this poll this week with #3 NDSU @ #5 SDSU and #7 UNI @ #4 Illinois St.

Yes. I think they have to take into account 'nova no longer has Robertson. It is not the same team without him, and JMU has now shown how scary on offense they have. If their defense ever steps up, look out.

LeadBolt
September 28th, 2015, 01:37 PM
W&M is rated #6 in the composite FCS rating. Hard to believe that they can't get better than 25 in this poll. I'm hoping the voters in this poll don't see something I don't with regard to W&M. Then again the composite ranking has Montana @ 26.

clenz
September 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM
W&M is rated #6 in the composite FCS rating. Hard to believe that they can't get better than 25 in this poll. I'm hoping the voters in this poll don't see something I don't with regard to W&M. Then again the composite ranking has Montana @ 26.
I had them at 11. The top 10, IMO, is pretty set as of now.

Give me 6 days and I'll likely change my answer though

tribe_pride
September 28th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I had them at 11. The top 10, IMO, is pretty set as of now.

Give me 6 days and I'll likely change my answer though

W&M will have it's chance to prove it deserves in the top 10 or better over the next 5 Saturdays. 4 weeks of what looked like a tougher schedule which is now easier @Delaware, @Nova, UNH and Hampton - If we win those, we will get to prove ourselves at home against JMU on a Halloween game on NBCSN.

Daytripper
September 28th, 2015, 01:53 PM

I have William and Mary at #9 in my poll.

Nova09
September 28th, 2015, 02:05 PM

I see no reason that NDSU at 3-1 would be ranked above some impressive 4 and 5 win teams.

veinup
September 28th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Let the sandbagging begin!

i'm honestly not sure what sandbagging means. but you've seen the games, you know how shaky we've looked (outside of the first game). no way we're in the top fifteen.

Tribal
September 28th, 2015, 02:12 PM
I never thought I'd say this but the Coaches' Poll is actually more sound (so far in 2015) than the competing national poll. The world is off tilt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2015, 02:13 PM
i'm honestly not sure what sandbagging means. but you've seen the games, you know how shaky we've looked (outside of the first game). no way we're in the top fifteen.

EWU has the same record as us, and they barely beat a bad Sac State team. If you weren't sandbagging (your own team) you'd point out that they're too high as well...

veinup
September 28th, 2015, 02:17 PM
EWU has the same record as us, and they barely beat a bad Sac State team. If you weren't sandbagging (your own team) you'd point out that they're too high as well...

maybe they are too high. but they've got some great wins and a great performance @ oregon. i believe they've also got a bunch of injured players as well.

UM barely has an offense.

excuse me for singling out MY TEAM as being too high. i pay pretty close attention to them, you understand.

grizband
September 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I have the Griz at 19, but could see them anywhere from 15-20.

I had William & Mary at 11.

wmmii
September 28th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I got JMU at #1 as Lee is the real Deal. Expect them to come to W&M undefeated for our game on Halloween. W&M not getting the love but we play UNH in three weeks and Nova in two weeks after Delaware this week so we will soon find out what they are made of.

Most of top 10 same as mine but agree with comments above that UNH too high and also probably Richmond and Ill State.

wmmii
September 28th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I have William and Mary at #9 in my poll.

#7 here!

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2015, 02:51 PM
maybe they are too high. but they've got some great wins and a great performance @ oregon. i believe they've also got a bunch of injured players as well.

UM barely has an offense.

excuse me for singling out MY TEAM as being too high. i pay pretty close attention to them, you understand.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, but the numbers don't really back you up on the "barely have an offense" thing. 18th in FCS in total offense at 445 ypg. Red zone efficiency and turnovers have certainly been issues, but I expect both of those to improve as conference play goes on.

veinup
September 28th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, but the numbers don't really back you up on the "barely have an offense" thing. 18th in FCS in total offense at 445 ypg. Red zone efficiency and turnovers have certainly been issues, but I expect both of those to improve as conference play goes on.

you have a point, but all the yards in the world don't mean anything if we're not putting the ball in the endzone. i don't know where to access all these stats - where are we ranked in average PPG this year so far?

BisonTru
September 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
you have a point, but all the yards in the world don't mean anything if we're not putting the ball in the endzone. i don't know where to access all these stats - where are we ranked in average PPG this year so far?

#59 http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=12

Apparently everyone has figured out how to keep you guys out of the end zone except my team.

veinup
September 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
and there you have it.

centennial
September 28th, 2015, 03:12 PM
#59 http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=12

Apparently everyone has figured out how to keep you guys out of the end zone except my team.
We did play a team with 7+ new defensive starters and no significant film. I want to play Montana again in the playoffs.

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2015, 03:15 PM
So if the season plays out like this, ISUb will be 5-6 with no losses to anyone ranked lower than #10. That has to make us the last team in the playoffs again, right?

KPSUL
September 28th, 2015, 03:20 PM
From the CAA, Nova and UNH too high and W&M too low - you can say JMU slightly too low as well but being at 6 not much to move at this point.
Agree

clenz
September 28th, 2015, 03:34 PM
So if the season plays out like this, ISUb will be 5-6 with no losses to anyone ranked lower than #10. That has to make us the last team in the playoffs again, right?
no. 6-5 isn't getting into the playoffs.

Just because you lose to a lot of good teams doesn't mean you're a good team. You'll need to beat one or two of them.

thebootfitter
September 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I see no reason that NDSU at 3-1 would be ranked above some impressive 4 and 5 win teams.
If they win convincingly in Brookings, I think one would have a pretty good argument for NDSU at #1 with the only loss a close one in a tough environment. I have a feeling that the Bison-Bunnies game will be a slugfest, though, with neither side running away with it. The top five or so all have some valid arguments for the #1 spot right now. I'd still give NDSU better than 50% odds on a neutral field against anyone in the top 25, though. Feel free to disagree with my assessment, but that, to me, is a reason they could still be #1 even with a close win in Brookings.

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2015, 04:37 PM
no. 6-5 isn't getting into the playoffs.

Just because you lose to a lot of good teams doesn't mean you're a good team. You'll need to beat one or two of them.

Yeah I was kidding. What I think will happen is that we will beat one of the top 4 but step on our dick against someone lower as we play wiu and ysu to end the season

The Yo Show
September 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Its early, but from the evidence so far, I'm not sure you can call any valley team "lower" competition this year. Need to go into every conference game expecting to fight tooth and nail for a win. MVFC is tough, and I'm not saying that as a homer, just an honest observation.

thebootfitter
October 4th, 2015, 01:28 AM

If they win convincingly in Brookings, I think one would have a pretty good argument for NDSU at #1 with the only loss a close one in a tough environment.

I think we'll see a lot more first place votes for NDSU this week.

JMU will probably capture a few as well with their performance today. Illinois State might have a few. Jacksonville State probably will still have a few as well. Coastal may lose a few, just because there are other teams that are probably more worthy.

My two cents...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

jmrepak
October 4th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I think we'll see a lot more first place votes for NDSU this week.

JMU will probably capture a few as well with their performance today. Illinois State might have a few. Jacksonville State probably will still have a few as well. Coastal may lose a few, just because there are other teams that are probably more worthy.

My two cents...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I agree with most of this. Coastal may lose a few to NDSU. I don't think JMU should get more than 1 or maybe 2. Fact is that they were dominating that game and almost let the wolves back in. I'm not sure what more Coastal could have done to control their game, but I do like that more of our schedule is starting to inch its way towards the top 25 (Furman and WIU). NDSU didn't look as good as previous years on offense in their game, but they dominated on defense. Especially rushing defense resulting in -4 yards, ouch. Not sure if NDSU passes us or not but SDSU may drop out of the top 10 due to a poor performance at home.

UNI-Ill St on the other hand shouldn't result in a big drop for the loser. They played a tight game and ended with a 1 possession UNI loss.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2015, 06:53 AM
I agree with most of this. Coastal may lose a few to NDSU. I don't think JMU should get more than 1 or maybe 2. Fact is that they were dominating that game and almost let the wolves back in. I'm not sure what more Coastal could have done to control their game, but I do like that more of our schedule is starting to inch its way towards the top 25 (Furman and WIU). NDSU didn't look as good as previous years on offense in their game, but they dominated on defense. Especially rushing defense resulting in -4 yards, ouch. Not sure if NDSU passes us or not but SDSU may drop out of the top 10 due to a poor performance at home.

UNI-Ill St on the other hand shouldn't result in a big drop for the loser. They played a tight game and ended with a 1 possession UNI loss.

Coastal did what they had to do yesterday, they won the game. But Alabama A&M is a joke of a FCS team. Concordia(Moorhead), a D3 team across the river would beat them.

If Coastal wins out, which they probably will looking at your schedule, they will be the #1 or #2 seed.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 4th, 2015, 07:14 AM
JMU would beat Coastal by 2 scores if they played.